AVS Forum banner
544K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  brunob54 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new UHD BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

my tv is non hdr. s what is my best choice for a bluray uhd player? should I wait for the ps4 with uhd?

Mod edit:

Current models:
  1. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2676801-official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread.html (MSRP $549) (DV Support)
  2. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...dp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html (MSRP $1299) (DV Support)
  3. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ony-ubp-x800-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html (MSRP $199)
  4. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...u-ray-player-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html (MSRP $299) (DV Support coming)
  5. Xbox One S game console and player ($399 2TB model, $299 500GB model out end of year?)
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...xbox-one-s-uhd-blu-ray-player-aug-2016-a.html
  6. Panasonic DMP-UB900 player (MSRP $699)
  7. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...panasonic-dmp-ub200-thread-no-price-talk.html (MSRP $249)
  8. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...lby-vision-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html (MSRP $699) (DV Support)
  9. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...2-bdp5502-uhd-blu-ray-players-ces-2017-a.html (7502 DV Support)
  10. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-no-price-talk.html (MSRP $199)
Discontinued:

Samsung UBD-K8500 player (MSRP US$399)
Philips BDP7501 player (MSRP $349)

See less See more
#2 ·
Under $400 you have basically two options: Samsung K8500 and Xbox One S 2TB Console. The problem with Xbox One S is that some things are not clear yet like fully bitstream support (Atmos, DTS:X, etc). I placed a pre order yesterday for the Xbox One S but cancelled it this morning waiting for more info related to full bitstream support. At this point I decided to wait for the new Sony PS4.5 or Neo, whatever Sony decide to call it. I need a one device solution for my bedroom because I don't have room in my rack for a Game console + UHD Blu Ray player.

#7 ·
Need Help

Hi Guys. Need help choosing a new 4K/3D blu-ray player to replace my old Oppo 83. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Budget is $500. Thanks a million for your expertise and advise. Have a wonderful day.

#8 ·
Hi Guys. Need help choosing a new 4K/3D blu-ray player to replace my old Oppo 83. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Budget is $500. Thanks a million for your expertise and advise. Have a wonderful day.
Logically your next step would be the Oppo-103 for 499.00$
But if you're going with Oppo, why not extend your budget and go for a native 4K from Oppo when they arrive _ if that's important to you.
If you're just interested in upscaling and not native 4K an HTPC with MPC-HC with MadVR is also a god alternative.
Cost is a problem though and you have to read and teach your self about MadVR and how to use it _ it's OK when you get into it.
I say cost because you need a decent video card to run MadVR.

An HTPC with a good video card and MadVR also does the best job in upscaling to 4K if you ever plan on getting a native 4K display.

Keep in mind that if you do plan on going with UHD-Blu-ray, that there may never be any options for UHD play-back on an HTPC.

#10 · (Edited)
Value Electronics (of the annual TV Shootout) is advertising pre-order of the Panasonic DMP-UB900UHD Blu-ray Player at $699 tentatively available "end of July." It is linked off the Value Electronics home page, it seems that AVSForum does not let me embed the URL properly to a competitor's web site: https://www.*********************/Panasonic_DMP-UB900.php. CNet posted a slight preview that says it will arrive in September = http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-dmp-ub900/

Amazon has listed the Philips BDP7501 for pre-order recently: $399, no shipping date specified yet.

Some have said the 2TB XBox One S with UHD player will be available late in August for $399, the $299 500GB XBox One S with UHD player will release for the holidays. It will support HDR-10 (confirmed on Twitter), but it may not support bitstream audio for immersive formats (Atmos, DTS:X, Auro3D).

I will update my previous entry in this thread, post 4.

#11 ·
Darbee is going UHD this year

An AVS'er corrected me in another thread: Darbee has announced that is it producing an UHD enhancement SoC this year.

It is assumed that Darbee will be in the forthcoming Oppo UHD Blu-ray player and presumably Darbee will produce a stand-alone consumer UHD processor.

DarbeeVision Joins the Ultra HD Forum = http://www.ingearpr.com/DarbeeVision/160616.html
Darbee demonstration of UHD enhancement =

#12 ·
Is there any news on Dolby Vision support in UHD players? I realise it is not in the official spec, but surely some discs will start to filter down? Or would it have to miss off HDR10 if it did include DV?

All of these units at the moment look pretty good to me, but as ever with early products are very expensive!

#14 ·
Is there any news on Dolby Vision support in UHD players? I realise it is not in the official spec, but surely some discs will start to filter down? Or would it have to miss off HDR10 if it did include DV?
No announcements from Dolby for home consumer DV physical media and players yet!

We have seen one manufacturer announce a Dolby DV System on a Chip (SoC) ready for production by the end of the year, but it feels like 2017 would be the year that we'll see products deliver DV. In the meantime, we have UHD HDR-DV streaming movies.

#15 ·
We have choices now.

Panasonic DMP-UB900
Samsung UBD-K8500

Xbox One

and I am sure Sony will be coming out with a stand alone and a new PS? And others?

I was ready to get the Samsung, but do you think we need to wait a little longer now?

#16 ·
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Samsung UBD-K8500
Xbox One

and I am sure Sony will be coming out with a stand alone and a new PS? And others?

I was ready to get the Samsung, but do you think we need to wait a little longer now?
I am assuming the Xbox One 2T is a 4k player and not just an upscaler. Can someone advice me if I am wrong?

#25 ·
It looks like the Samsung and Panasonic player both can handle refresh rates of 50hz and 60hz. Can anyone confirm this? I have a few blu ray's that are 50hz and won't play on some players. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic when it releases but the ability to play 50hz discs is more important to me and I'm 99% sure the Samsung will.

#27 ·
I have an Epson 3500 and a Denon x2200w as part of a 5.1.2 set up. Will the Samsung 8500 be a good fit for me? I eventually want to be at 5.1.4 and want to play UHD with Atmos on my 1080p set up. I already have been buying UHD discs for this application.

It doesn't appear there will be sub $300 options out yet this year, right? Thanks!

#32 ·
Hi Guys,
Please excuse but I don't know any other way to ask.. As of today Date; What is the best Blu-Ray Player under $120.00
and best one under $220.00 that I can connect to a TV.. I would it to be able to Read CD-R and DVD-/+R Discs.
but not a deal breaker.. 2k/4k upscaling would be nice.. Other than that I do not need any thing Special..
What do U think of the Pana BMP BDT270??
What about the Sony BDPS 6500 (2015)??
What about the Samsung BD-J7500?? (2015)

Although this is over my price range a used 4K Samsung UBD-K8500 for $278 ??

Thx. W.G.

#33 ·
I have always like Panasonic blu ray players. Or match tv if possible so you can use the remotes to operate both, in most cases.

I don't think you can upscale to 4k without a 4k tv. If you have or plan to get a 4k tv, go for the Sammy K8500.

#34 ·
HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 conundrum

Alright so here's the deal, I have a Marantz 8802 pre-amp that hasn't been upgraded to support HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 because of geographical issues (live in the middle-east and nobody here can do the upgrade).

I am also running a VW300/350es projector which supports HDMI 2.0A.

My question is (and forgive me if this is stupid). If I get a player that supports 4K, HDMI 2.0a, etc with dual HDMI out like the Oppo 103, and connect my projector directly to the player for an image. Would using the second HDMI out and connecting it to my Pre-Amp provide audio? Or would it lock out both video and audio considering the pre-amp is not HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 compliant?

Again I apologise if this is a stupid question but I am backed into a corner here when it comes to being able to support these new players, so I am trying to find any possible solution before completely replacing the pre-amp.

#35 ·
The Oppo 103 does not support 4K, so your question does not apply to HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. The purpose of dual HDMI on UHD players like the Samsung and Panasonic is exactly for your situation. Many use the dual HDMI outputs of these players just fine.

#37 ·
We have a house being built, and I'm going to end up with a room partially dedicated to being a home theater.

I intend on getting a new TV, with the shortlist being down to two Sony's: XBR-65X930D or XBR-75X940D
For now, I know I'll have a 5.2.2 set up with intentions of upgrading to 7.2.4 later. Until then, everything runs through my Marantz SR-5010.
I use a universal remote, so I don't care about the remote that comes with the device.

Here's what I'm struggling with, as I browse to see what bluray player I should get...
1) From an audio perspective:
Bluray players all seem to the same to me, since I'm going to bitstream the audio to the receiver. I do not own, nor have any plans to own, DVD-A or SACD content. All of my music is ripped ALAC and played via DLNA straight to the receiver. I would be only watching Blurays and DVDs with the player. I believe this eliminates the need for a universal player, such as an Oppo or Sony UHP-H1.

2) From a video perspective: Bluray players strike me as the inferior choice for processing the image, compared to a newer TV. My simplistic understanding of how this all works was that the disc contained the data, the player read the data (and could enhanced it), then the TV receives and enhances the data which it displays as an image. I know that Oppo has a strong following here, but I can't help but wonder if I couldn't accomplish the exact same image benefits by buying the DVP-5000S from Darbee. That comes with it's own problems, I suppose, since there is no mention of HDCP 2.2 for the product. I'll assume that a 4K version is in the works, though. I do not own, nor have any plans to own, 3D content.

3) From a build quality perspective: In all my years of using various transports, I have never had one simply die on me. I've gone from a VHS player to DVD player to Bluray player to Wifi-streaming Bluray capabilities as the platforms and my needs for content delivery have changed. I say all of this because I'm not sure that I'd see the benefits in having the tank-like MVP891 from McIntosh. While I've been more than satisfied by the Marantz products I own, the idea of buying the "trim matching" UD7007 has a certain appeal. When I upgrade to support a 7.2.4, I intend on getting a Marantz pre/pro with Outlaw amps.

4) From a features perspective: I know all players come stuffed with apps and other features, but I don't care about any of them save two: Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'll use the TV to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime until Roku sorts out the problems with their 4K device.

5) From a future-proofing perspective: Is it worth it to spend the money today to get the 4K player? If I got a new bluray player today, and in two to three years bought the 4K player... would I spend less overall? I know this is like trying to read a crystal ball, but I still struggle with it. If the 4K upscaling is good enough, and regular blurays come with HDR content (that's possible, right?), would I even care?

Here are the 4K and bluray players in the running for me (in no particular order):
Sony BDP-S7200 $179.99 new
Marantz UD5007 $319.99 refurb
Samsung UBD-K8500 $319.99 new
Samsung BD-J7500 $199.99 new
Samsung BD-J6300 $149.99 new
Panasonic DMP-UB900 $699.99 new (assuming it'll be available when I'm ready to buy, and cheaper...)
Oppo BDP-103 $499 new

I would like to spend under $200, but I'm willing to spend up to $500 with the right justification.

#38 ·
Here are the 4K and bluray players in the running for me (in no particular order):
Sony BDP-S7200 $179.99 new
Marantz UD5007 $319.99 refurb
Samsung UBD-K8500 $319.99 new
Samsung BD-J7500 $199.99 new
Samsung BD-J6300 $149.99 new
Panasonic DMP-UB900 $699.99 new (assuming it'll be available when I'm ready to buy, and cheaper...)
Oppo BDP-103 $499 new

I would like to spend under $200, but I'm willing to spend up to $500 with the right justification.
You will have all the required components of 4k, so, if you buy Blu Ray movies, why would you not want to start watching 4k blu ray movies, and yes there is a difference between 4k and up-scaled 4k. I am getting the Samsung and will move it to another tv in the future if something better comes along. If streaming 4k data is going to be your only use, then get any blu ray player for now. Let the tv do the 4 k streaming and up-scaling for all under 4k levels. Sony is about the best out there for up-scaling.

Reactions: Scars
#40 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new UHD BR for my Vizio M70-C3, and my options (in Canada) are the Samsung K8500 or the Philips BDP7501.

In the next couple of days the Philips is on sale for $400 CAD (down from $550), while the Samsung sells for $600.

I understand that Samsung has more smart apps (Philips has just Netflix and YouTube), which might have some impact for me. Right now I'm using Vizio's native apps like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu that all support 4k, but I think that with Vizio's move to the Google platform, they'll probably dump own smart apps platform.

What do you think???

Thanks.

#42 ·
..I'm using Vizio's native apps like Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu that all support 4k, but I think that with Vizio's move to the Google platform, they'll probably dump own smart apps platform.
You are correct, they are moving all of their display lines to use the Android table and Google Cast apps to drive the display. This means no more proprietary Vizio apps, the Android platform will have much better support.

However, Google Cast is not supported by many of the streaming apps outside of YouTube and Netflix, notably Amazon is missing.

#46 ·
Check out the $350 retail Sony UHD upscaling blu-ray player = http://www.sony.com/electronics/audio-components/uhp-h1

Last week I went to a HDR store event and the regional Sony rep said it had been recently released and represents their best effort to date to compete with Oppo, etc., but I see only one review for it right now. Note that it does not play UHD blu-rays.
You will have all the required components of 4k, so, if you buy Blu Ray movies, why would you not want to start watching 4k blu ray movies, and yes there is a difference between 4k and up-scaled 4k. I am getting the Samsung and will move it to another tv in the future if something better comes along. If streaming 4k data is going to be your only use, then get any blu ray player for now. Let the tv do the 4 k streaming and up-scaling for all under 4k levels. Sony is about the best out there for up-scaling.
Bought the Samsung, arrives tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

#44 ·
How important should dual HDMI outs be to me?

I have not yet purchased an AVR or a UHD player to go with the js9000 I have.

I have held off on the 8500 and have no interest in the Panasonic at it's price point. I'm ready to buy something though and the Xbox one s seems appealing but again, it only has 1 output.

Am I correct in thinking that dual outputs are really only important for older existing avr units that lack proper video passthrough?

I half remember hearing I would belimited to optical output for audio with a single output but I may just be imagining that.

Will probably get a refurbished marantz 5010 unless another deal is found.

#45 ·
You will only need to use the dual outputs with AVRs that don't support HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Since you are looking for a new AVR, also, just make sure it supports HDR. I use a single cable with my Yamaha and Samsung without any issues what-so-ever.

S~

#47 ·
Do you have any personal opinion on a One S vs the samsung 8500?

I game on a PS4 exclusively so outside of an xbox exclusive that i otherwise would have just ignored, I won't really be gaming on it so its not super important.

I see the 8500 here and there for around $300 which is more appealing than it was in my head when I had only really seen it at $399.

#50 ·
Help Selecting Disc Player

I currently have an OPPO BDP 83, and would like to upgrade. I am in no particular hurry, but would prefer to make a move sometime before the end of the year, and will be using the new player almost exclusively for movies and concert videos. I would like to get some opinions on which "must-have" features to purchase (or wait for) to at least try to future-proof the new player. HDR? 4K? And also, which players currently offer all of those capabilities -- and/or any other recommendations??? THANKS.

#51 · (Edited)
I currently have an OPPO BDP 83, and would like to upgrade. I am in no particular hurry, but would prefer to make a move sometime before the end of the year, and will be using the new player almost exclusively for movies and concert videos. I would like to get some opinions on which "must-have" features to purchase (or wait for) to at least try to future-proof the new player. HDR? 4K? And also, which players currently offer all of those capabilities -- and/or any other recommendations??? THANKS.
I own the OPPO BDP 103 and also the Samsung UBD K 8500 4K with HDR. The OPPO is much more handsome to look at, the motor and tray are silky smooth. Video performance is top of the line. The Samsung is ugly as all get out, has one little LED that turns either green, red or blue depending on what is happening with the DVD. It has a good interface. Video performance is as good as the OPPO's with 480 p material and 1080 p material. However it blows the OPPO out of the water with 4K streaming and 4K DVD's. At this time the Samsung is a lot less expensive than an OPPO 4K will be in the future, when it comes out. If you are not in a hurry, mind the ugliness and do not want a bargain, wait for the 4K OPPO. If you do not mind ugliness, can hide the DVD and you want a bargain then the Samsung is your DVD deck. My humble opinion.

PS. COSTCO were selling the Samsung recently for $319.00. Do not think the sale is still on , but if you wait a bit, I'm sure prices will drop again.

Cheers

#52 ·
If you do not require streaming app support the Philips BDP7501 is another option. It's a 4k HDR player. Seems to have marginally better picture quality than the Samsung unit and overall fewer problems with HDCP handshake. Just be aware that it's pretty bare bones in terms of what it can do. It's mainly just a DVD/Blu-Ray including 3D/UHD Blu-Ray player.

#56 ·
I'm looking into getting Epson 5040UB, which UHD player would be the best for me? Will be looking into PS4K when it gets announced...