Official Sony UBP-X1000ES Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Anticipation Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 524 Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,023
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Does anyone know anything about the IR Remote jack on the X1000? The manual does not have anything on the use of this feature. It does not work with a mono plug and signals like my other devices with a IR input.
Wendell R. Breland is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 524 Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Does anyone know anything about the IR Remote jack on the X1000? The manual does not have anything on the use of this feature. It does not work with a mono plug and signals like my other devices with a IR input.
I just use RS-232
drhankz is offline  
post #513 of 524 Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGauge4Me View Post
I have been using the X-1000ES since March with no issues. Got a decent price for a scratch and dent one from Crutchfield.

The biggest issue I see so far with 4K and the latest formats is the lack of media available on line for streaming. I have yet to find a Netflix 4K video for streaming that was not produced by Netflix. Please correct me if I am wrong. Hard to find on Amazon as well.

I have bought a few discs and enjoy them but the expense, even at $25 a disc, is pretty steep. The only redeeming grace is that over the next 2 years the cost of discs will come down and there will be more streaming media available.

My son plays a lot of DVD's and I play a lot of Blu ray discs and found the up converting to be decent. Also it does a great job with ATMOS signal to the AVR for processing.
Have you used the Sony App for Netflix. My dealer told me if I get the Sony it will be better than using Apple TV for streaming
bokap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #514 of 524 Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Member
 
OGauge4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Have you used the Sony App for Netflix. My dealer told me if I get the Sony it will be better than using Apple TV for streaming
We use the Netflix app on the Sony TV. We only use the Apple TV for Apple specific media. There are a couple of TV shows that are only available through Apple.

Sony XBR65A9F, Denon X4400H, Sony UBP-X1000ES, Apple TV 4K, Denon DCM-444, Verizon FIOS, Harmony Elite. Dolby ATMOS implemented by Klipsch.
OGauge4Me is offline  
post #515 of 524 Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGauge4Me View Post
We use the Netflix app on the Sony TV. We only use the Apple TV for Apple specific media. There are a couple of TV shows that are only available through Apple.
Ok thanks
bokap is offline  
post #516 of 524 Old 10-05-2019, 04:50 AM
Member
 
Mister B.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone else with an X1000ES seeing an "Update Services" clickable at the top right of the home screen?



(My unit has firmware M37.R.0338 which is the most recent firmware per Sony Support at https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...00es/downloads. So the update is to an app or to apps -- I'm sposing that's what the word "Services" refers to.)


I'm afraid to click it -- is it possible they could make the Netflix app any more worse Anybody got a clue as to what the update is updating?
Mister B.M. is offline  
post #517 of 524 Old 10-07-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
Anyone else with an X1000ES seeing an "Update Services" clickable at the top right of the home screen?



(My unit has firmware M37.R.0338 which is the most recent firmware per Sony Support at https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...00es/downloads. So the update is to an app or to apps -- I'm sposing that's what the word "Services" refers to.)


I'm afraid to click it -- is it possible they could make the Netflix app any more worse Anybody got a clue as to what the update is updating?

It’s actually quite common. IIRC, it doesn’t kick in unless you turn on the streaming services. Then it will update automatically.
Other than dropping Gracenotes a few months ago, it’s always a surprise what these updates do until they’re finished. There’s no info on the Sony website.
Mister B.M. likes this.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #518 of 524 Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone experienced the loss of icons in My Apps? See my attached pic. When I go to all apps they are correct. Tried erasing USB devices. This just started last week. Tried updating.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Geezer is offline  
post #519 of 524 Old 10-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Mister B.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My home screen. No loss of icons, but note the Update Services prompt at top right - popped up 1 week ago.

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 10-10-2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: New image host. Dropbox https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
Mister B.M. is offline  
post #520 of 524 Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Member
 
Mister B.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Tried updating.
Do you mean you tried updating what Sony describes as the 'system software' under the "Software Update" header in Setup?


Or are you referring to the little clickable on the HOME screen, as you can see in my screenshot above, called "Update Services"?
Mister B.M. is offline  
post #521 of 524 Old 10-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, CA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B.M. View Post
Do you mean you tried updating what Sony describes as the 'system software' under the "Software Update" header in Setup?


Or are you referring to the little clickable on the HOME screen, as you can see in my screenshot above, called "Update Services"?
Both
Geezer is offline  
post #522 of 524 Old 10-12-2019, 01:25 AM
Member
 
Mister B.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Both
Very strange. Still icon-less?

A question for you after you did Update Services - did you notice anything else change, for better or worse?
Mister B.M. is offline  
post #523 of 524 Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Senior Member
 
gkman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just purchased the 1100 ES to use with my Epson 5040ub projector...I know the Epson doesn't support Dolby Vision, so should I just keep Dolby Vision set to "off"...I didn't know if Dolby vision could be upscaled...any thoughts?
gkman1 is offline  
post #524 of 524 Old 10-19-2019, 01:29 AM
Member
 
Mister B.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkman1 View Post
I just purchased the 1100 ES to use with my Epson 5040ub projector...I know the Epson doesn't support Dolby Vision, so should I just keep Dolby Vision set to "off"...I didn't know if Dolby vision could be upscaled...any thoughts?
You mistakenly posted in the thread for the 1000ES, which doesn't do Dolby Vision.
Mister B.M. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
new sony bd player , sony 4k player , sony uhd player

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off