Official Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player Anticipation Thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4022Likes

post #2551 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I don't think this is correct.

Passive speakers don't require an AVR. All they require is a power amp, and a way of controlling volume. With the 103/105 series players you can connect the analog outs of the player to power amps and use the analog volume control on the player's remote to control volume. You don't need an AVR or pre-amp, you can use the player as the pre-amp. There are many people using the analog outs from a 103/103D/105/105D player without using an AVR or an AVR pre-pro. They simply connect the player's analog outs to power amps and control volume using the volume control on their player's remote. The speaker configuration panel in the audio settings menu allows them to set trim levels for the various channels, distances for time alignment of the different channels, and crossover frequency for bass management.

There's no reason to think that the 203 is going to provide analog outs without similar speaker configuration and volume control options to the 103/105 series of players.

So I don't think an AVR is going to be necessary with passive speakers, just power amps for each speaker you're using.

Addition: the 103/103D/105/105D players have an audio delay setting for lip sync adjustments but you have to set the correct delay manually, it does not provide auto lip sync. If the 203 has the same audio functionality as the 103, it will have that as well.

I could be wrong...but I think Smarty-pants didn't mean to say you needed an "AVR" per se...just that you needed some form of amplification.
htwaits and Smarty-pants like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2

Last edited by bluemoon737; 12-01-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
^^ Yup

Especially since the OP made it clear that he's new to audio considerations. If he already has an AVR, it may be the path of least resistance.

No need for a new 4K AVR though - just split the signal, one to the TV and one to the AVR.
Smarty-pants and bluemoon737 like this.
post #2553 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
I could be wrong...but I think Smarty-pants didn't mean to say you needed an "AVR" per se...just that your needed some form of amplification.
He may have meant that but he did not say that, and the OP responded by saying " I have a powered sub but the speakers require external amp/power so gotta stick with the HDMI route." If the 203 has the same audio capabilities as the 103 the OP does not need to "stick with the HDMI route" and that makes it necessary to point out that an AVR is not required, only power amps. Smarty-pants' response has given the OP the wrong impression which is why it is necessary to correct his statement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I noticed last night on the OPPO Web page, that the regular 103 now says "will be replaced soon by the 4k uhd 203".

But the 103D makes no mention of being replaced. So maybe the 103d will continue to be sold until a 203d comes out (if ever).
All the 103/103D/105/105D products should now be legacy (EOL). Until Darbee Inc gets their 4K DVP technical issues worked out, there is nothing to go forward with. I imagine there will be on occasional refurbs of these models for a limited time.

Oppo Beta Group
post #2555 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
I don't know if this has been discussed, but will I be able to connect my DirecTV box to the 203, like I can with the 103D, allowing the 203 to upscale DirecTV?

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #2556 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond0 View Post
Will this player have dual HDMI outs?
Yes, dual HDMI outs for direct connection to a 4K display for video transfer and a secondary connection to a non-4K passthrough-capable processor/AVR for audio transfer.
post #2557 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed, but will I be able to connect my DirecTV box to the 203, like I can with the 103D, allowing the 203 to upscale DirecTV?
Yes, there is a HDMI input but there is only 1 of them, not 2 as in the 103D so if you have a second source you wish to connect to the 203 you're out of luck unless you use a HDMI switching box.
wxman likes this.
post #2558 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since we had several connector based questions here is a rear view of the UDP-203 again. (not a production unit)

johng, wxman and Adrienn like this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #2559 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12472 Post(s)
Liked: 11662
Quote:
Yes, there is a HDMI input but there is only 1 of them, not 2 as in the 103D so if you have a second source you wish to connect to the 203 you're out of luck unless you use a HDMI switching box.
Pretty sure it's exactly the same. 1 in, 2 out.
post #2560 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pretty sure it's exactly the same. 1 in, 2 out.
According to Oppo's page for the 103D, it has "Dual HDMI Inputs/Outputs". The 203 has a single input and dual outputs. Not the same.
post #2561 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
According to Oppo's page for the 103D, it has "Dual HDMI Inputs/Outputs". The 203 has a single input and dual outputs. Not the same.
That's correct the previous BDP-10x series all had dual HDMI inputs.

Oppo Beta Group
post #2562 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 12472 Post(s)
Liked: 11662
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
That's correct the previous BDP-10x series all had dual HDMI inputs.
If it's the hdmi plug in the front, I never realized it was an input.

But this can be quick fixed by using an adapter on the 1 input on the back.
post #2563 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it's the hdmi plug in the front, I never realized it was an input.
But this can be quick fixed by using an adapter on the 1 input on the back.
The previous line had a HDMI/MHL interface (HDMI 1.4) in the front. It was handy for something like a MHL powered Roku streaming stick with a right angle adapter. The UPD-203 will now just have a single HDMI input on the rear.

Oppo Beta Group
post #2564 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
He may have meant that but he did not say that, and the OP responded by saying " I have a powered sub but the speakers require external amp/power so gotta stick with the HDMI route." If the 203 has the same audio capabilities as the 103 the OP does not need to "stick with the HDMI route" and that makes it necessary to point out that an AVR is not required, only power amps. Smarty-pants' response has given the OP the wrong impression which is why it is necessary to correct his statement.
I have used my 103 as a preamp to an external amp, and I found it was not as good as using my Denon x4000 as the pre-pro.

Denon x4400h, Samsung LED 1080p TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, Darbeevision, etc.
Headphone system: Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1, Denon DVD-3910
post #2565 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
I don't think this is correct.

Passive speakers don't require an AVR. All they require is a power amp, and a way of controlling volume. With the 103/105 series players you can connect the analog outs of the player to power amps and use the analog volume control on the player's remote to control volume. You don't need an AVR or pre-amp, you can use the player as the pre-amp. There are many people using the analog outs from a 103/103D/105/105D player without using an AVR or an AVR pre-pro. They simply connect the player's analog outs to power amps and control volume using the volume control on their player's remote. The speaker configuration panel in the audio settings menu allows them to set trim levels for the various channels, distances for time alignment of the different channels, and crossover frequency for bass management.

There's no reason to think that the 203 is going to provide analog outs without similar speaker configuration and volume control options to the 103/105 series of players.

So I don't think an AVR is going to be necessary with passive speakers, just power amps for each speaker you're using.

Addition: the 103/103D/105/105D players have an audio delay setting for lip sync adjustments but you have to set the correct delay manually, it does not provide auto lip sync. If the 203 has the same audio functionality as the 103, it will have that as well.
Quote:
As others mentioned, I was not explicitly saying that an AVR was the only way he could hook up a system.
For the most part I was trying to keep it simple for the OP since he specifically said "I'm a newbie with audio stuff".
The direct_to_amp configuration entered my mind, but I chose not to type it since I consider that something for more advanced users.
While the 10x players work pretty well for that (did it myself for quite a long time ), it's just not advice I would give
someone who is not familiar with how easy it can be to blow a system with a configuration like that if they aren't
experienced enough to know how to set it up properly.
I would also never recommend the direct_to_amp setup for anyone who doesn't have a properly sound treated room.

BTW, I have no idea where you got that supposed quote from, but I read back through his comments and see no such post. (???)
...other than he said he didn't see a plug in for the subwoofer, but that's a far cry from the quote you posted.
If what you quoted is there, I sure can't find it.
bluemoon737 and Phil1975m like this.

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 12-01-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #2566 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
As others mentioned, I was not explicitly saying that an AVR was the only way he could hook up a system.
For the most part I was trying to keep it simple for the OP since he see specifically said "I'm a newbie with audio stuff".
The direct_to_amp configuration entered my mind, but I chose not to type it since I consider that something for more advanced users.
While the 10x players work pretty well for that (did it myself for quite a long time ), it's just not advice I would give
someone who is not familiar with how easy it can be to blow a system with a configuration like that if they aren't
experienced enough to know how to set it up properly.
I would also never recommend the direct_to_amp setup for anyone who doesn't have a properly sound treated room.

BTW, I have no idea where you got that supposed quote from, but I read back through his comments and see no such post. (???)
...other than he said he didn't see a plug in for the subwoofer, but that's a far cry from the quote you posted.
If what you quoted is there, I sure can't find it.
The OP's post I quoted from was the post directly after your response, it was his response to your post.

I've got a 105 and I have used it as a pre-amp directly into power amps and run 2 subs from the 105 as well using a Y adapter. I've also used an AVR and I have gone back to using one at present.

I tend to recommend the use of an AVR to anyone who is asking questions about how to do a direct to amp setup from a 103/105 simply because I tend to think that anyone who has to ask questions about how to do it is probably going to find it a lot easier to get good results using an AVR with an automated setup procedure than it is to get similar results doing it the hard way. The main reason I went back to using an AVR was that I had a rather complicated 2 sub setup with the subs operating in stereo mode plus sharing the LFE channel and setting up and balancing the subs simply became too much of a pain for me. I decided to opt for convenience over the benefit of stereo subs which I quite like. I'm definitely not against recommending an AVR.

I do think, however, that we should provide answers which accurately address the question asked. After all, it's not much harder to say that "you don't need an AVR, you can simply drive your speakers with power amps, but the setup can sometimes be demanding and if you haven't got experience in manual setup then I recommend using an AVR because the setup process is usually simpler". The reason I think we need to answer the actual question, even if we're going to recommend something different, is because responses in threads like this get read by people other than the OP who may be seeking the same information that the OP asked for and some of those people may be more than capable of doing the manual setup with the player controlling the speakers. If the only person who was going to read your response was the OP, I would not have had the same concerns about the response you made because using an AVR is probably the best option for the OP, especially since it seems he already has one. Even so, however, I do think he should be told that the AVR is not the only way to go and that power amps are an alternative option.
post #2567 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Any more news regarding whether or not the 203 will be able to output SDR BT2020?
I assume you mean output SDR 2020 without a Fury forcing it to.

There was an interview (either quoted on AVforums or Audioholics) with an Oppo engineer or product manager or marketing person, where he acknowledged that this is a popular request and noted that it is on the roadmap but may not be present at release -- and i inferred might be considered a "beta" feature even when present, like so many features on prior Oppo's (eg, media streaming).

I sure hope he was under promising and that Oppo chooses to over deliver and include this, even if they call it "beta", in the firmware at time of release.
Smarty-pants and noshank like this.
post #2568 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The OP's post I quoted from was the post directly after your response, it was his response to your post.

I've got a 105 and I have used it as a pre-amp directly into power amps and run 2 subs from the 105 as well using a Y adapter. I've also used an AVR and I have gone back to using one at present.

I tend to recommend the use of an AVR to anyone who is asking questions about how to do a direct to amp setup from a 103/105 simply because I tend to think that anyone who has to ask questions about how to do it is probably going to find it a lot easier to get good results using an AVR with an automated setup procedure than it is to get similar results doing it the hard way. The main reason I went back to using an AVR was that I had a rather complicated 2 sub setup with the subs operating in stereo mode plus sharing the LFE channel and setting up and balancing the subs simply became too much of a pain for me. I decided to opt for convenience over the benefit of stereo subs which I quite like. I'm definitely not against recommending an AVR.

I do think, however, that we should provide answers which accurately address the question asked. After all, it's not much harder to say that "you don't need an AVR, you can simply drive your speakers with power amps, but the setup can sometimes be demanding and if you haven't got experience in manual setup then I recommend using an AVR because the setup process is usually simpler". The reason I think we need to answer the actual question, even if we're going to recommend something different, is because responses in threads like this get read by people other than the OP who may be seeking the same information that the OP asked for and some of those people may be more than capable of doing the manual setup with the player controlling the speakers. If the only person who was going to read your response was the OP, I would not have had the same concerns about the response you made because using an AVR is probably the best option for the OP, especially since it seems he already has one. Even so, however, I do think he should be told that the AVR is not the only way to go and that power amps are an alternative option.
Ok, I see that quote now. It was AFTER my response, lol.
You made it sound like it was BEFORE my response and that I should have considered it in my response, or at least that's how I read it.
I also never said the ONLY way to go was an AVR, I was just recommending that to him, (and not to the entire internet).
You do make some good points though.
post #2569 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Alternatively, it looks like the 203 also has a second HDMI output for AUDIO ONLY, and if said legacy AVR has HDMI 1.4 capabilities,
then you could also use that output for audio in lieu of the analog outputs.

This is all based on the theory that the outputs work the same as they do with the current Oppo BD players,
and based on the labels of the rear panel of the 203 shown at CEDIA a couple months ago.
.....so, with my Anthem MRX-500 (HDMI 1.4, no HDMI-ARC), I could go HDMI video from 203 to my 4K Display, and then this AUDIO ONLY HDMI, from 203 to my Anthem AVR, i.e., no optical/ toslink, to the AVR???

If so, neat!! Would there be more audio choices above and beyond DD 5.1, that would be available if I had to do Optical out connection?

This feature really goes a long way with slowing the money drop for upgrading my AVR.......
nathan_h likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #2570 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I am sure that this will not be the only 4K player Oppo comes out with. We will probably see a unit at the $1500.00 price range that will have Dolby vision, darbee process. And will be a great audio player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, in the meantime I'll just keep using my current Oppo player for DVDA and SACD. Won't be the first time I've had two DVD players hooked up at once.
Keenan likes this.

Marantz AV8802A, Sunfire Signature Grand (425W x 5), Sunfire TGA-7201 (200W x 7), Oppo UDP-203, Vizio P-75, Phase Technology PC8.5 (FL, FR, SL, SR), Phase Technology PC-Center, Phase Technology PC-60 (RSL, RSR), KEF Ci200rr (FHR, FHL, RHR, RHL), Epik Tower Sub
post #2571 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
.....so, with my Anthem MRX-500 (HDMI 1.4, no HDMI-ARC), I could go HDMI video from 203 to my 4K Display, and then this AUDIO ONLY HDMI, from 203 to my Anthem AVR, i.e., no optical/ toslink, to the AVR???

If so, neat!! Would there be more audio choices above and beyond DD 5.1, that would be available if I had to do Optical out connection?

This feature really goes a long way with slowing the money drop for upgrading my AVR.......
I believe that is exactly correct. I am counting on it in my own setup.
post #2572 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regarding dual HDMI outputs, is there any benefit at all to going this route directly into my LG B6 if my receiver (Marantz SR7010) supports 4K? I'd heard some receivers might mess with the signal a bit, although I turned video processing off.
post #2573 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
Interesting issue you bring up. We all know what upscaling is; E.g., 1080P --> 4K. What do you call remapping color space? Up-mapping? Kinda ugly sounding. Re-mapping? A bit vague since one can re-map up to BT202o or down-mapping for std HD TVs. How about Up-spacing & Down-spacing? Just opaque enough to satisfy the argot of jargoneers. Perfect.
It's called colour space conversion. Or colour volume conversion.
Operon likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #2574 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

Yep, that's how it would work.
As for the optical connection... that connection is more limited than HDMI.
You more robust audio codecs like DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD/MA can't be passed over optical/coaxial connections.
Instead you would get the lossy soundtrack from movies, and it's limited in other facets too like no DSD form SACDs, etc...
However lossy audio can still sound good and audio from CDs would be fine too, and you can still get up to 7.1 audio.
Stick with HDMI if you can though. HDMI has it's own unique issues, but when it works you get the best PQ and AQ.
On yet another plane, your analog audio connections can also get the AQ too, even better than optical,
but of course it's a bit old school and you have to connect lots of cables.
post #2575 of 5094 Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrekr View Post
Regarding dual HDMI outputs, is there any benefit at all to going this route directly into my LG B6 if my receiver (Marantz SR7010) supports 4K? I'd heard some receivers might mess with the signal a bit, although I turned video processing off.
Most modern AVRs/processors won't usually muck with the video and has options to pass video unmolested to the display.
Usually you will be fine by routing the video that way, and going directly to the display from the player
is usually reserved for bypassing a processor that can't do things like 3D or HDCP 2.2/4K.
Of course it also won't hurt anything if you decide to send video direct to the display anyway.
Some people like to, just for peace of mind, to keep from wondering if their AVR may be doing something odd
that they aren't aware of. Oppo covers Audiophiles, Videophiles, and the paranoid.
htwaits and raf77 like this.
post #2576 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yesterday I sent an email to Oppo regarding the up coming Model UDP-203 and here is there response.

Paul,

We are looking to release the UDP-203 (http://oppodigital.com/uhd) mid-month for an estimated MSRP of $499 to $599.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

mbw23air, cnjax, grtuck and 1 others like this.
post #2577 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
I've tried it both ways with my Marantz SR6010 and the Sammy 8500. My eyes tell me I get a better pic running video direct to tv. Perhaps it's the placebo effect in that I believe in keeping the chain as simple as possible. But, I'm certain that when I get the Oppo I'll be trying both configurations since we all love to tinker!
Kelvin1000 likes this.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #2578 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
Yesterday I sent an email to Oppo regarding the up coming Model UDP-203 and here is there response.

Paul,

We are looking to release the UDP-203 (http://oppodigital.com/uhd) mid-month for an estimated MSRP of $499 to $599.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

No doubt that it will NOT be $499 and this was my guess for awhile now . It will be $599 MSRP but maybe there will be a limited time initial offer for folks that signed up for the email of $549.. Just my thought on the matter..
Gerry
diverdra likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #2579 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
I've tried it both ways with my Marantz SR6010 and the Sammy 8500. My eyes tell me I get a better pic running video direct to tv. Perhaps it's the placebo effect in that I believe in keeping the chain as simple as possible. But, I'm certain that when I get the Oppo I'll be trying both configurations since we all love to tinker!
Well, when it comes to upscaling a standard Blu-Ray 1080p to my 4k tv. My tv does a far better job than the UBD-K8500.
Så when watching ordinary blu-rays I set K8500 to output 1080p, and let my tv do the scaling.
post #2580 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
If you disable all video processing in the AVR, the signal should pass through unmolested. But you can always experiment to determine whether you perceive any difference.

Bear in mind that there are some disadvantages to using dual HDMI outputs to separate the audio and video paths from the BDP to the display, to wit: (1) additional cable clutter, (2) more opportunity for HDMI handshake glitches, and, most notably, (3) omission of video overlay from the AVR for such things as volume adjustments, menu access or information screens.
George Weasley likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
UDP-203

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page