Official Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player Anticipation Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4022Likes

post #2641 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Probably the firmware isn't yet bug-free enough to make the player releasable. Oppo doesn't allow the beta testers to talk until the player is ready for sale. C'mon, guys, another week or two of waiting won't kill you. Patience is a virtue and usually gets rewarded.
I dont mean to sound like a smart azz but seriously never quite got that saying. I mean what is the difference in reward if one is patient or isnt. Its not like someone is watching and saying "if he is patient he will get a reward or that guy isnt being very patient so we won't give him a reward. What is this reward people speak of. Im just curious, life isnt that way and it is mostly something parents tell their kids but in reality their is no difference. Everything will be the same in the end. Patience or no patience we all have to wait on OPPO.
Operon and bearr48 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
I know that, this point why not give them a permission to talk? Are they going to wait until day before starting taking orders?
Because they haven't. It will happen when it happens to fret about it will only lead to frustration on your part.
post #2643 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
I know that, this point why not give them a permission to talk? Are they going to wait until day before starting taking orders?
Chances are good they won't get to talk about the player until the production release firmware is signed off.

The hardware has been done for a while -- as noted by sneak peak demos for the press, and piles of boxes in warehouses -- but getting the software feature complete and up to Oppo standards of what is acceptable for customers is that last step. Once that is done, the embargo on reviews will be lifted (so the guys at AVforums can tell us what they think about the unit they got in November) and beta testers can start to talk about the player -- usually at the same time that they start shipping.
Smarty-pants likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
As release of this player gets closer, I'm having second thoughts about buying it vs some competitors (e.g. the Philips unit). Especially if it is going for $599 instead of the $499 that has been spoken of/hoped for. I know it's only $100 difference, but it did get my attention, and lead me to re-examine my plans.

Thoughts?
I can think of 3 reasons for buying an Oppo:

1- you appreciate good design and build quality, and long term support. Oppo change their models infrequently whereas manufacturers like Samsung/Panasonic/LG change their models yearly. They introduce new features by introducing a new model so if you bought one of their players in 2012 when the 103 and 105 were introduced, you may have bought new models of their players in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 just in order to keep abreast of new features. Oppo has introduced more than a few new features over that time by firmware update at no cost to owners. The 103 and 105 would have cost you more than a Samsung/Panasonic/LG or whoever player back in 2012 but those cheaper players would have kept costing you money if you kept upgrading them to stay abreast of new features. The Oppo would not have cost you anything for new features over that period.

2- you're a videophile and you like having a lot of control over your player's output so you can ensure you're getting the best possible result. Oppo offers much greater control over output settings than other manufacturers, and gives you more information about what it's doing than the other players do. Oppos have also consistently delivered top quality video output.

3- you're an audiophile and you want the top Oppo model for it's enhanced analog audio output which leaves the analog output of the Samsung/Panasonic/LG and similar players far behind, plus the Oppo plays a lot more disc and audio formats than those players tend to play.

Yes, you pay more for an Oppo but it delivers more than other players and when you consider the fact that Oppo models have a model life of 3-4 years or more and that they keep adding features and enhancing functionality via free firmware updates over that period where the other manufacturers require you to buy a new player in order to get new features, there may very well be little difference in price over the life of an Oppo.

If you want objective data to support claims of picture superiority for the 203 you're going to have to wait for reviews and there are none as yet. There are reviews for the 103/103D/105/105D model Oppos and they all report extremely high picture quality, as do reviews on earlier models which demonstrates Oppo's long term consistency when it comes to providing the best picture quality you can get for the money. Given the consistency of that record there's no reason to assume that the 203 is not going to perform at a similar standard.

So those are the reasons I can see for buying an Oppo. That leaves the question of value for money, whether you are going to think that what you get by buying an Oppo is worth the increase in price over whatever alternative player you are considering. That's a personal value judgement. You may think it is and another person deciding whether to buy the Oppo or whatever other player you're considering may not think it is, or vice versa. Different people reach different conclusions when it comes to value for money. I don't think there is any doubt that Oppo deliver more than other manufacturers deliver, it's up to you whether you think they're delivering enough for the money.
post #2645 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Companies will not do this and Oppo is no exception. Until the product is officially released or the company gives them the OK, whoever is bound by the NDA cannot mention anything about the product. Depending on the NDA, it can go further as the product's existence or even say that they are a tester.

The are consequences for breaking the NDA such as getting removed from alpha/beta testing and / or legal action.

Last edited by Sango; 12-02-2016 at 04:16 PM.
post #2646 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
One other thing to consider in determining whether to buy an Oppo: Oppo has a no-questions-asked 30 return-for-a-full-refund period. If you buy the player and decide it wasn't worth it, you didn't like the way it looked, it was too heavy or you read some negative reviews (highly unlikely ) that turn you off, just call or email Oppo during the first 30 days of ownership and they will authorize a return for a full refund. There are other players out there for which all you get is a promise that they'll fix it if defective but, if you don't like it, that's just too bad.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #2647 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
One other thing to consider in determining whether to buy an Oppo: Oppo has a no-questions-asked 30 return-for-a-full-refund period. If you buy the player and decide it wasn't worth it, you didn't like the way it looked, it was too heavy or you read some negative reviews (highly unlikely ) that turn you off, just call or email Oppo during the first 30 days of ownership and they will authorize a return for a full refund. There are other players out there for which all you get is a promise that they'll fix it if defective but, if you don't like it, that's just too bad.
Having Elite status with BB allows one to test the Phillips, Panasonic, X-Box, Samsung for 45 days.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #2648 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How is the earlier Oppo players regarding signal information displayed on screen?
Having had several Panasonic Blu-ray players, and tried the UB900, I love the Panasonic data-info showing what signal it receives and outputs.
Then had the Samsung K8500 who barely showed the out resolution and a HDR-flag.

Does oppo usually have an info data screen showing signal data input and output?
post #2649 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Having Elite status with BB allows one to test the Phillips, Panasonic, X-Box, Samsung for 45 days.
Yes, but don't you pay in some way for that privilege? You don't have to be a frequent buyer, credit card holder, club member, etc. to return an Oppo you don't like. Yeah, if you have that nice status at BB or Amazon or some other place already, it's a plus but lots of people don't have that status.

post #2650 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Yes, but don't you pay in some way for that privilege? You don't have to be a frequent buyer, credit card holder, club member, etc. to return an Oppo you don't like. Yeah, if you have that nice status at BB or Amazon or some other place already, it's a plus but lots of people don't have that status.
You get 15 days with your purchases if not an Elite member. Requires no minimal purchase. You can sign up for free for the My Best Buy status.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #2651 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Actually it's Elite Plus that gets 45 days. Elite alone is 30 days.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #2652 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Actually it's Elite Plus that gets 45 days. Elite alone is 30 days.
I can honestly say that you are right...I hit elite plus status the first month of the year usually :,(
post #2653 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
$599 maybe a great price yet $499 is even better. Though reasonable for some or many that is not the case for all.

At least for me $500 is already excessive for a player, despite what it potentially provides, and in light of the past that pricing remains static. Firmly placing in the territory of being difficult to justify for me. Many features I can address with what I currently own or supplement with an economical Sony BR for SACD support and pick up a UHD player around $200 or less down the road.

Everyone has a different budget for their gear and where what funds are allocated; this would be my first Oppo product, after years of reading positive reviews, but as attractive are the benefits mentioned by others for me $600 is too much for a single disc transport.

Hopefully it remains at $500, otherwise I may cancel my preorder and wait for something more economical. YMMV
DLCPhoto, rossi46 and stef2 like this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #2654 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm on the fence as well honestly. I know I will have the unit for a long time which is a good thing but with the release of this used prices will fall on players making it even a harder decision.
post #2655 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It is time I spoil myself at my age & get the OPPO. Was thinking about the Panasonic prior to seeing info that OPPO was going to have an UHD player. Do I "need" it, no. Not interested in the Samsung as Samsung has crappy software on their KS9000 & "smart"hub; Samsung also stopped supporting the Tab Pro 8.4 6 months after its release (thank the gods for Cyanogenmod).

Just like to have an UHD player that I think may be better than the what is offered by the mass market in my perceptions.
Dave Vaughn and TimWelborn like this.
post #2656 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
With their no-questions-asked return policy Oppo is letting you be your own reviewer. Even though I'm on the fence, especially if the MSRP is closer to $600, I think this is a complete no brainer. Get it, try it, keep it or return it - we have a whole month to work through buyer's remorse and decide. Don't think it gets simpler than that.

Everyone has their own priorities and one thing I will need to know before taking the plunge is which apps will find their way to the unit, and whether the 4K streaming apps will be HDR capable. I lose nothing by waiting until they're actually available before I order the unit. So count me in, but .. not yet.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #2657 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The "delay" in the 203's release is a bit troubling. They must be dealing with some thorny issues. If indeed those warehouse pictures are real, then we're looking at a significant Day Zero firmware update. My memory is dodgy about my Oppos but at least I don't recall there being a Day Zero update for my 83. Maybe someone can answer whether the 203 will be Oppo's first product with a Day Zero update? The way things are going I prolly lay down the moolah for the 203 and wait for answers from the Beta Testers and if I smell something unsettling then ditch the 203 unopened on eBay and then wait for the waters to still a bit. For example if DV plum won't work on the 203 and I'll have to wait for a model 20X to emerge.
post #2658 of 5094 Old 12-02-2016, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
No delay. They estimated late 2016. Which means early 2017 would not be unusual or out of line, given their perfectionist nature. I'm glad they are not releasing it half baked like the Samsung, which I paid $400 for and had to return due to the software being so funky.
post #2659 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
The "delay" in the 203's release is a bit troubling. They must be dealing with some thorny issues. If indeed those warehouse pictures are real, then we're looking at a significant Day Zero firmware update. My memory is dodgy about my Oppos but at least I don't recall there being a Day Zero update for my 83. Maybe someone can answer whether the 203 will be Oppo's first product with a Day Zero update? The way things are going I prolly lay down the moolah for the 203 and wait for answers from the Beta Testers and if I smell something unsettling then ditch the 203 unopened on eBay and then wait for the waters to still a bit. For example if DV plum won't work on the 203 and I'll have to wait for a model 20X to emerge.
I still have and am using my "93" until I get the "203" I received my "93" with a firmware update CD in the box with the player.

--Carl
post #2660 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
if I run my Sky Q box into the input on the 203, will it improve the picture quality? ive found the Sky Q picture to be a bit soft if 2160p 10 bit mode.
post #2661 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor ove View Post
How is the earlier Oppo players regarding signal information displayed on screen?
Having had several Panasonic Blu-ray players, and tried the UB900, I love the Panasonic data-info showing what signal it receives and outputs.
Then had the Samsung K8500 who barely showed the out resolution and a HDR-flag.

Does oppo usually have an info data screen showing signal data input and output?
The 10x series of players has an extremely good information display showing input and output resolution, colour space, bit depth, bandwidth, audio details, chapter etc info, and time elapsed/total time/time remaining for each chapter or for the whole title.

I hope the 203 is as informative.
post #2662 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3000 View Post
if I run my Sky Q box into the input on the 203, will it improve the picture quality? ive found the Sky Q picture to be a bit soft if 2160p 10 bit mode.
The 203 will process the signal. No one can s ay whether it can improve the quality of that signal until we start to see test results and user reports.
post #2663 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
The 203 will process the signal. No one can s ay whether it can improve the quality of that signal until we start to see test results and user reports.

Excellent thanks. Looking forward to the release, fingers crossed before xmas.
post #2664 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
As release of this player gets closer, I'm having second thoughts about buying it vs some competitors (e.g. the Philips unit). Especially if it is going for $599 instead of the $499 that has been spoken of/hoped for. I know it's only $100 difference, but it did get my attention, and lead me to re-examine my plans.

My gear is all HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0a compatible:

Marantz SR7010
JVC RS400 Projector
7.1.4 Dolby/Atmos Audio all fed directly from my Marantz receiver, so the pre-outs of the Oppo would be irrelevant for me.
Roku Premiere+, which while a little buggy at the moment, does provide access to UHD/HDR from Amazon and Netflix (also YouTube, but I watch little of that). So I wouldn't need streaming from the Oppo, even if/when it is added down the road.

I had been planning all along on the Oppo, especially if it has on release, or not too long afterwards, the ability to provide 4k/BT2020 SDR, which would be good to have as an option.

The Dolby Vision option is interesting, but given all the unknowns (how effective the implementation would be for JVC Projectors, when discs will be available, how long before widespread content is available, how much improvement/difference it would provide vs HDR10, etc.), I'm not sure this will enter into my decision making process.

Resale value is not that much of an issue for me, as I tend to hold onto gear, passing it on to kids, other rooms, etc.

So I find myself asking whether it is worth paying $599 for the Oppo vs for example the Philips unit, now on sale at BB for $230. Even if I end up wanting the Fury Integral, the total price would be $480, even without any sale on the Fury. And I could have the Philips now.

Build quality, firmware updates, customer support are important factors, but while I know it is ultimately a personal choice, and unanswerable, I am asking myself if it is worth spending that much more for the Oppo vs the Philips. The Panasonic is well thought of, but currently at $699, that's an even less cost effective choice.

I understand there are no 'right or wrong' answers here, but I would appreciate others thoughts on the dilemma here. Without a test unit to assess actual picture quality, this decision is even more difficult. I need objective data to support claims of picture superiority of any one unit vs another, as subjective reports are just that - subjective, and therefore readily influenced by a wide variety of typically unconscious biases.

Thoughts?

From time to time I have these second thoughts as well. I already have a $1000 Oppo player, the BDP-95, that will continue to service my musical 2 channel audio needs for years to come. So I've thought about just buying the small foot print phillips, putting it on top of the Oppo and calling the combo my 4k universal player. I really only need something that plays 4k discs. My B6 LG Oled does a stellar job of scaling DVD and bluray, so I don't really need that capability. I'd put the 95 on source direct and let the TV handle everything from the Oppo like DVD and Bluray and the Phillips handle 4k playback. Seems like a simple answer really.

OTOH, if you've owned one Oppo, and the 95 is my second, there is something to be said for frustration proof playback. I've never had an Oppo choke on a disc. Never had a hardware failure. Never a glitch of any kind. I've followed the Phillips thread and I'm not sure anybody in that thread can say that about their player, and Phillips has been very slow to non-existent with firmware updates and I expect that within 6 months they'll have another player and that one will be forgotten as far as firmware updates go; that's the normal cycle for commercial BD players. Had I seen some utterly amazing black friday deal on the phillips player, I might have picked one up. I missed out on the Nebraska Furniture Mart (deals thread) deal where they mistakenly sold around 100 players for less than 100 bucks, shipping included. Had I found a deal like that I'd have bought one put it on top of the 95 and waited out the 203/205 decision or the will it really get a FW update for dolby vision decision. But I didn't get that deal, so I anxiously await Oppo's 4k player(s).
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #2665 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
No delay. They estimated late 2016. Which means early 2017 would not be unusual or out of line, given their perfectionist nature. I'm glad they are not releasing it half baked like the Samsung, which I paid $400 for and had to return due to the software being so funky.
Just curious as to what you found so "funky" about the Sammy? Been using mine since March and other than the remote the machine has been flawless. It has not failed to play any disc that I have put in it. As for streaming, meh, I have other options for watching less than stellar pic quality. As soon as my Oppo arrives it will replace the Sammy as my main UHD BD and SACD player - not because the Sammy is a dog or funky but mainly for UHD BD and SACD playback in one machine.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #2666 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jev7266 View Post
With their no-questions-asked return policy Oppo is letting you be your own reviewer. Even though I'm on the fence, especially if the MSRP is closer to $600, I think this is a complete no brainer. Get it, try it, keep it or return it - we have a whole month to work through buyer's remorse and decide. Don't think it gets simpler than that.

Everyone has their own priorities and one thing I will need to know before taking the plunge is which apps will find their way to the unit, and whether the 4K streaming apps will be HDR capable. I lose nothing by waiting until they're actually available before I order the unit. So count me in, but .. not yet.
Makes complete sense. If apps and other features such as DV are not included at introduction and they are a must for you then best to wait. Better that then be disappointed if later they don't materialize and you're beyond your return window. Just follow the owners thread and you can keep tabs on the current state of the player.

Clark
post #2667 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Yeah $600 is just pushing it.....I might just keep my el cheapo Samsung UHD
post #2668 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I look at OPPO like Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck....they have a dynasty relative to their player performance. They know what they are doing and I'd expect nothing but the best from them.
Nothing better than seeing Oppo, Brady and Belichick mentioned in the same post . I totally agree with your analogy of course !

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2669 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
Yeah $600 is just pushing it.....I might just keep my el cheapo Samsung UHD
Good..lol.. That gets me one unit closer!
rboster, nathan_h and TimWelborn like this.
post #2670 of 5094 Old 12-03-2016, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
The "delay" in the 203's release is a bit troubling. They must be dealing with some thorny issues.
There is no delay. New release players have shipped with Beta firmware before and functioned well until the subsequent firmware updates were released

Oppo is always working to perfect the firmware. For that I am thankful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
UDP-203

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page