AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Official Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player Anticipation Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2582401-official-oppo-udp-203-uhd-blu-ray-player-anticipation-thread.html)

hifi123 09-16-2016 05:36 AM

Official Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray player Anticipation Thread
 

SteveFred 09-16-2016 06:35 AM

Great news!! and at $499.00 is a good surprise :) I am sure some will wait for Dolby Vision though.

seggers 09-16-2016 06:52 AM

At that price, I may hold off on getting the Philips/Panasonic box and get one of these instead.

Seggers

hifi123 09-16-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveFred (Post 46829033)
Great news!! and at $499.00 is a good surprise :) I am sure some will wait for Dolby Vision though.

That price is a surprise and I hope Oppo keeps it there at release. It is too bad about Dolby Vision, but in my case won't matter because my current TV (Sony X940D) does not have DV support anyways.

hifi123 09-16-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seggers (Post 46829241)
At that price, I may hold off on getting the Philips/Panasonic box and get one of these instead.

Seggers

Me too. I was pricing out the Pany, but was waiting until Sony released the PS4 pro, but with their decision to not include UHD disc playback, that puts the Oppo in the running as my potential first choice now.

Ace of Space 09-16-2016 07:44 AM

Link for email alerts on new Oppo products.
http://www.oppodigital.com/uhd/

tezster 09-16-2016 07:52 AM

Fantastic price for an OPPO UHD player, if that report is correct - They will sell A LOT of units @ $499:)

My only fear now is the feature-set may be stripped down at that price point? Basically, I just need it to be a UHD version of the BDP-103, with support for Netflix 4k and media player that can play H.265 encoded files. It looks like there's only one HDMI input, but I can live with that.

b0rnarian 09-16-2016 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Noob question but its come up a few times that Darbee is not included in this one, I've never owned an Oppo before so am curious as to what Darbee actually is and is the omission a big deal to you guys or not? Thnx.

jimim 09-16-2016 08:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so wonder if it will have a source direct option so we can tailor the player to the panel so we don't have signal issues.

Ralarcon 09-16-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rnarian (Post 46830913)
Noob question but its come up a few times that Darbee is not included in this one, I've never owned an Oppo before so am curious as to what Darbee actually is and is the omission a big deal to you guys or not? Thnx.

Anticipation, there is a song by that name. Carly Simon. This particular deck is designed for the newer 4K, with HDR TV. sets. The native up-scaling and processing of the new TV's is far superior to anything that Darbee can contribute. At this time for this particular player, it is obsolete technology.

Cheers

wmcclain 09-16-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rnarian (Post 46830913)
Noob question but its come up a few times that Darbee is not included in this one, I've never owned an Oppo before so am curious as to what Darbee actually is and is the omission a big deal to you guys or not? Thnx.

See this section of the BDP-103 FAQ: What are some reviews of Darbee technology?

See also the Darblet thread here at AVSForum; it is the same technology: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...n-darblet.html

-Bill

b0rnarian 09-16-2016 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralarcon (Post 46831385)
Anticipation, there is a song by that name. Carly Simon. This particular deck is designed for the newer 4K, with HDR TV. sets. The native up-scaling and processing of the new TV's is far superior to anything that Darbee can contribute. At this time for this particular player, it is obsolete technology.

Cheers

Gotcha, I knew it was something along the lines of upscaling and 4K tvs do a better job of it anyways so not a big deal there, only wish it was slightly cheaper. Pretty sure though that they are the first to put 3.0 USBs on their UHD player!

Sledgehamma 09-16-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralarcon (Post 46831385)
Anticipation, there is a song by that name. Carly Simon. This particular deck is designed for the newer 4K, with HDR TV. sets. The native up-scaling and processing of the new TV's is far superior to anything that Darbee can contribute. At this time for this particular player, it is obsolete technology.

Cheers

Upscaling and Darbee are two different things. Also not sure why you are assuming that post processing of the TVs (if you are referring to it by "processing") is "far superior" than a potential UHD Darbee version.
That said, afaik Darbee doesn't offer 2160p post-processing yet. So I assume that this comes without Darbee.

Rich5616 09-16-2016 09:28 AM

Other Formats
 
I'm wondering if it will play sacd,DVD-audio ?

petetherock 09-16-2016 09:49 AM

No Darbee - whoopee!
$499 - what a cheapie!
Simple and give ease of use - woohoo it will take a lot of abuse!

Oppo UHD 203 - what I feel is that it took the innards of a rugged but simple player like the 101 ci, made it into this, with two HDMI ports.
The aim for the first ever UHD Oppo is not to **** up. Keep it simple, use a tried and tested platform, maybe with a nice AKM DAC and make sure it works.

For more frills, later on you can expect higher end models with more bells and whistles, better DACs, bass management and such.

I will look forward to owning it and reviewing it when it hits our shores.

sytech 09-16-2016 09:54 AM

I am not surprised at the price. These use basically the same components as a standard $99 Blu-ray player. What I am surprised about is the lack of DolbyVision. They really do seem to be dead in the water, despite being the best current solution for uniform and easy to use HDR. LG is the one major player left that could still support them. Dolby better come to their senses quick and lower the licensing fees.

Ralarcon 09-16-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 46831913)
Upscaling and Darbee are two different things. Also not sure why you are assuming that post processing of the TVs (if you are referring to it by "processing") is "far superior" than a potential UHD Darbee version.
That said, afaik Darbee doesn't offer 2160p post-processing yet. So I assume that this comes without Darbee.

Ok, let me make it clearer: Them 4K TV's do a better job than them Darbee.

Cheers

tomcrown1 09-16-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehamma (Post 46831913)
Upscaling and Darbee are two different things. Also not sure why you are assuming that post processing of the TVs (if you are referring to it by "processing") is "far superior" than a potential UHD Darbee version.

That said, afaik Darbee doesn't offer 2160p post-processing yet. So I assume that this comes without Darbee.



Yes this unit will not have Darbee processing that is why it is going for $499.00

Hopefully in early 2017 Oppo will release a true universal player with Dolby Vision


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray0414 09-16-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sytech (Post 46833401)
I am not surprised at the price. These use basically the same components as a standard $99 Blu-ray player. What I am surprised about is the lack of DolbyVision. They really do seem to be dead in the water, despite being the best current solution for uniform and easy to use HDR. LG is the one major player left that could still support them. Dolby better come to their senses quick and lower the licensing fees.



Xbox 1 S breakdown shows the 4k BD drive is a mere $14 more than a 1080p bd drive. Everyone except Oppo has been majorly price gauging.

b0rnarian 09-16-2016 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 46835969)
Xbox 1 S breakdown shows the 4k BD drive is a mere $14 more than a 1080p bd drive. Everyone except Oppo has been majorly price gauging.

Samsung is pretty cheap too...

COACH2369 09-16-2016 01:20 PM

Well this is a pleasant surprise....

I am very happy and pleased with my Panasonic player, but have to say that if I knew this was coming most likely I might have waited.

Oh well. :)

TechGreek 09-16-2016 01:47 PM

I guess I'm waiting on this player at this point as the Xbox One S doesn't do Bitstreaming properly nor does it support Atmos and such.

PRO-630HD 09-16-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sytech (Post 46833401)
I am not surprised at the price. These use basically the same components as a standard $99 Blu-ray player. What I am surprised about is the lack of DolbyVision. They really do seem to be dead in the water, despite being the best current solution for uniform and easy to use HDR. LG is the one major player left that could still support them. Dolby better come to their senses quick and lower the licensing fees.

The player specs haven't been released yet. Let's wait and see.

Smackrabbit 09-16-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sytech (Post 46833401)
I am not surprised at the price. These use basically the same components as a standard $99 Blu-ray player. What I am surprised about is the lack of DolbyVision. They really do seem to be dead in the water, despite being the best current solution for uniform and easy to use HDR. LG is the one major player left that could still support them. Dolby better come to their senses quick and lower the licensing fees.

"Basically the same" doesn't mean the same. I mean, a Honda Civic is "basically the same" as a Ferrari in that it has four wheels and drives you to where you want to go. But I'd like to see who currently is offering a $99 Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs, 7.1 channel analog outputs, and HEVC decoding.

styx rogan 09-16-2016 05:55 PM

very depressing news

popyang45 09-16-2016 05:59 PM

Is support 12 BIT 4K color ?

Why not supported DP 1.4 ?

Why no SDR conversion to HDR ?

is he support WRGB for oled ?

Why no Dolby Vision ?

wmcclain 09-16-2016 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by styx rogan (Post 46845409)
very depressing news

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1474070441

-Bill

wmcclain 09-16-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popyang45 (Post 46845497)
Is support 12 BIT 4K color ?

Why not supported DP 1.4 ?

Why no SDR conversion to HDR ?

is he support WRGB for oled ?

Why no Dolby Vision ?

Why not wait for the specs?

-Bill

Toxic teletubby 09-16-2016 06:02 PM

please please please please include SACD playback. I'm loving my sammy but if the oppo comes with SACD playback, it will be a no brainer to pick one up.

tomcrown1 09-16-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby (Post 46845545)
please please please please include SACD playback. I'm loving my sammy but if the oppo comes with SACD playback, it will be a no brainer to pick one up.



I am sure that this will not be the only 4K player Oppo comes out with. We will probably see a unit at the $1500.00 price range that will have Dolby vision, darbee process. And will be a great audio player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.