9 Things to Consider When Shopping for a Blu-ray Player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By biliam1982

post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4905
9 Things to Consider When Shopping for a Blu-ray Player

Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray discs offer the best image and sound quality available, far surpassing any streaming or broadcast source. Of course, enjoying that quality requires a Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray player, but how do you select the one that's best for you? Here are some things to think about as you consider your options.

https://www.avsforum.com/9-things-to-...lu-ray-player/
TomC1315 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Good read, though the Samsung UHD units are now going for under $200, possibly due to the Xbox one S representing a better value.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Examples of players with dual HDMI outputs include all Oppo models, the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, and Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD player.
@Scott Wilkinson : The Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu-ray player also has dual HDMI outputs and has dropped to nearly 1/3 off it's original retail price in many places. AVSForum has two threads related to it:

I recommend that you link to the owner threads for each of the devices, I know that's a non-trivial exercise, but it would reinforce the local community forums as well as give prospective owners a good place to research and ask for advice when comparing their options.

Personally, I find UHD blu-ray compelling (especially with HDR) and it is hard to go back to HD, but it is not always the wow factor every single moment. Many times, it is subtle and hard to distinguish unless you can go back and forth between the same UHD and HD or streaming source, but I do see improvements in every moment. I think insuring you have a great UHD HDR display is the most important thing to do first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should the Blue Ray player provide the upscaling? or should that be left to the TV? I have the Samsung KS8000 4K TV that does the job of upscaling.. Interested in your opinion of which component should do the upscaling ..
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
While cost is one of the factors, talk outside of the Deals' Forum is limited to MSRP. Please keep all deals talk in the deals' subforum.

Thank you.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsider View Post
Should the Blue Ray player provide the upscaling? or should that be left to the TV? I have the Samsung KS8000 4K TV that does the job of upscaling.. Interested in your opinion of which component should do the upscaling ..
Unfortunately one of things you'll have to try.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
No CD playback on PS4 Pro.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
WANTED: A "dumb" blu-ray player

I already have all the streaming services I need on my
Sony TV, Roku, and xbox one.

I'm looking for a "dumb" blu-ray player that does only one thing and does it well: play blu-ray discs with fast load times and excellent picture quality. Budget: $50

Why don't manufacturers get that there is a market for "dumb" devices? Why would anyone want yet another device with the same streaming services?

Any recommendations?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 518
There's plenty of low end Blu-Ray players for $50, most of them are dumb at that price point. But they will generally be slower as they are built to the price, so they use slower drives and processors but they will be adequate.

Check out your local Walmart and be amazed as they probably have a half dozen at that price.

As for making them smart, well, it comes about because the CPU power is there - when you've got a more powerful CPU, adding smart services is trivial - it costs practically nothing and for a lot of people, it's a value add. If you don't want it, don't use it - but the faster drives and speed might make it more worthwhile to spend the extra $50 and not use the smart features.
noshank and Spock1234 like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Do the game consoles support 3D Audio yet?
noshank likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
There's plenty of low end Blu-Ray players for $50, most of them are dumb at that price point. But they will generally be slower as they are built to the price, so they use slower drives and processors but they will be adequate.

Check out your local Walmart and be amazed as they probably have a half dozen at that price.

As for making them smart, well, it comes about because the CPU power is there - when you've got a more powerful CPU, adding smart services is trivial - it costs practically nothing and for a lot of people, it's a value add. If you don't want it, don't use it - but the faster drives and speed might make it more worthwhile to spend the extra $50 and not use the smart features.
Yeah, that makes sense. So would the $100 3D wifi blu-ray players from Sony/Samsung/Phillips/Panasonic provide adequate drive speeds and solid drives without the "premium" price tag? Currently I have a Sony BD3100 which I consider to be slow and noisy, but I haven't seen good reviews of the newer Sony's either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray players , shopping , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page