Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1018 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278836Likes

post #30511 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Start by checking your cables. I'm not experiencing any of these issues.

Dolby Vision forces 12-bit Color Depth. If you are not normally using 12-bit, that's added bandwidth on the cables. (HDR-10 can be sent with only 10-bit.)

It's up to the TV to decide when it wants to put up its Dolby Vision icon.
--Bob
Tried setting to output 12 bit instead of auto, and GREASE went back to losing video signal when the movie started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30512 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
Yes. For the hdr alone. 4k not as much unless you've got a 65+
But HDR isn't all that. It really isn't.
post #30513 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post

Maybe not for everyone. It is for me.
oldsteve, gwsat, StanGeek and 2 others like this.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30514 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
John Archer/Forbes: "LG OLED Dolby Vision Bug Gets Fixed - By Sony. And maybe Oppo too." This is in the context of previous statements by "bloggers" that the DV fixes would have to be done on the display side.

Actually it was Dolby who said it had to be done in the display side not " bloggers."

Quote from the second linked John Archer article:

"LG has rolled out a Dolby-created firmware patch to its 2017 OLED TVs designed to fix a long-running bug where black levels could suddenly plummet while watching dark Dolby Vision scenes over HDMI-connected sources."

Quote from the article you quoted but didn't link.

"The bizarreness of the situation doesn’t end there, either. The thing is, the first external device to receive a firmware update that let it deliver Dolby Vision to Sony TVs was the Apple TV 4K. Yet this update did not fully fix the raised black level issue with LG OLEDs."

John even added in this article that he's gotten no confirmation from LG that this is a proper fix . Lots of maybe's and forum chatter but nothing official from anybody yet. I read the whole article.

Quote:
The 11.3 release notes don't mention fixing the LG or Sony issues (or any DV changes) and yet both were -- albeit imperfectly. This has been documented by multiple owners. I think the existence of a fix trumps your belief that it can't be done.
My belief is if it's done it will be done by Dolby in cooperation with it's firmware licensed partners. Just like every other licenced closed source product is updated/patched regardless of the hardware manufacture licensee's OS.

Quote:
I'm trying to focus on you're statement comment/assertion:
"And how exactly is the Sony player accessing and changing/improving a closed source end to end DV workflow to improve the picture? The answer is it can't."
And yet it does for 2016 LG. It must be more of that "magic".
Actually, owners of the Sony player have found that it's just accomplishing this by crushing the black levels(I'm in that players owners thread as well) so it hasn't fixed anything. It's just masked it.

Licensing agreements always determine/define the licensees ability to make changes affecting the licensed product. Nothing can be done without Dolby's input and approval period. That's the whole point of having a licensing agreement in the first place. It's to protect the product being licensed from being modified without approval and support. Any fixes whether it gets implemented within an LG TV or a Sony or OPPO disc player will have the licenser fully involved in the process throughout testing and release. It's not that they can't touch it. It's that they've signed something saying they won't without Dolby in the loop.

This is getting way off topic for this thread so if you want to continue it further you can PM me. I want to get back to OPPO talk here.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #30515 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
How about the conversion of HDR10 to DV on my E6? It does appear to be doing something. At least it doesn't clip like the HDR10 version does on the high end. So there seems to be some sort of DV tone mapping going on.
Since all of us E6 owners do not have DV calibration capability like the 7series and up do would you still do the HDR10 to DV conversion if you had your E6 professionally calibrated by ChadB or DNice.
post #30516 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 5767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
Maybe not for everyone. It is for me.
Absolutely! I would agree that the improvement provided by native 2160P isn't much compared to native 1080P upconverted to 2160P. The improvement HDR provides over 2160P without HDR, though is a big deal, to me at least.
StanGeek likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #30517 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Since all of us E6 owners do not have DV calibration capability like the 7series and up do would you still do the HDR10 to DV conversion if you had your E6 professionally calibrated by ChadB or DNice.
I couldn't answer that since I don't have HDR10 calibrated. Hopefully those that did can give us better insight.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #30518 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Start by checking your cables. I'm not experiencing any of these issues.

Dolby Vision forces 12-bit Color Depth. If you are not normally using 12-bit, that's added bandwidth on the cables. (HDR-10 can be sent with only 10-bit.)

It's up to the TV to decide when it wants to put up its Dolby Vision icon.
--Bob
So I loaded up GREASE six times. Four of those times the movie started properly. The other two the picture was lost as the movie started. So its not consistent at all - whether this is handshake speed or whatever.

Worried that this is going to happen across all Paramount DV discs.
post #30519 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Absolutely! I would agree that the improvement provided by native 2160P isn't much compared to native 1080P upconverted to 2160P. The improvement HDR provides over 2160P without HDR, though is a big deal, to me at least.
If only it worked consistently...
post #30520 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
Quote:
So I loaded up GREASE six times. Four of those times the movie started properly. The other two the picture was lost as the movie started. So its not consistent at all - whether this is handshake speed or whatever.

Worried that this is going to happen across all Paramount DV discs.
What you are describing are classic symptoms of marginal HDMI cabling.

Start by unplugging and replugging all the HDMI plugs from end to end in the signal path. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Make sure each plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks) tugging on the plug in any direction.

All of your HDMI cables -- again, from end to end in the signal path -- should be HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified cables. The cable OPPO provides with the player is one of those, and the fancy hologram label on the bag that contained that cable is what you should be looking for.

If you have ANYTHING ELSE in the signal path, it should be suspect. That includes daisy-chained cables, shorty port saver cables, adapters, switches, gizmos of any sort, and even wall plates (the things used to tidy up the ends of in-wall cabling). Test by bypassing all such items.
--Bob
htwaits and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #30521 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
If only it worked consistently...
Sounds like something is wrong. Hate to beat a dead horse but cable quality and length trumps all. I have a 6’-10’ length and use Monoprice certified cables. Never once had a handshake less then 12 bit 4:4:4 with the OPPO making the choice.
galonzo likes this.

Clark
post #30522 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ as Bob said

Clark
post #30523 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
What you are describing are classic symptoms of marginal HDMI cabling.

Start by unplugging and replugging all the HDMI plugs from end to end in the signal path. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Make sure each plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks) tugging on the plug in any direction.

All of your HDMI cables -- again, from end to end in the signal path -- should be HDMI Ultra HD Premium Certified cables. The cable OPPO provides with the player is one of those, and the fancy hologram label on the bag that contained that cable is what you should be looking for.

If you have ANYTHING ELSE in the signal path, it should be suspect. That includes daisy-chained cables, shorty port saver cables, adapters, switches, gizmos of any sort, and even wall plates (the things used to tidy up the ends of in-wall cabling). Test by bypassing all such items.
--Bob
I did that. All of my cables are OMARS certified cables. There are no adapters or switches or anything of that kind. The longest cable is just 2m. Theres one cable direct from my Oppo to the TV. The other is to a Denon amp, which in turn is to the TV. There doesnt appear to be any pressure points or kinks, though both HDMIs to the TV are loosely cable tied for neatness (if that could be the problem?)

An LG OLED C7 owner on the other forum says it also happens to him "all the time".

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!
post #30524 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only other possibility is the source disc. You said the Grease 4k disc 4 out of 6 times acted up. Any other 4k discs give you problems? Perhaps you could try exchanging your Grease disc for another?

Clark
post #30525 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I did that. All of my cables are OMARS certified cables. There are no adapters or switches or anything of that kind. The longest cable is just 2m. Theres one cable direct from my Oppo to the TV. The other is to a Denon amp, which in turn is to the TV. There doesnt appear to be any pressure points or kinks, though both HDMIs to the TV are loosely cable tied for neatness (if that could be the problem?)

An LG OLED C7 owner on the other forum says it also happens to him "all the time".

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!
I don't know what an "OMARS" certified cable might be. If that's a brand, I'm not familiar with it.

Premium Certified cables come with this label:

--Bob
galonzo, Greg TB and Matt2026 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #30526 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Two other things to try. Physically disconnect any HDMI output cable between the AVR and the TV. If that fixes the problem, then you are likely looking at a situation with either HDMI ARC or HDMI CEC from the TV.

And try a different input into the TV for the cable from the OPPO. This is to rule out a problem with the input you are using now.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #30527 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:
I can hardly stand SDR now that I've seen HDR. Especially for games. I'd take 1080p HDR vs 4k SDR if that was the choice to make.
Bahn Yuki, gwsat and galonzo like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #30528 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
My 203 comes in the mail today. I was planning on running my xfinity box through the Oppo and have it do upscaling. Will it also convert what I watch to DV? Still trying to learn about its capabilities. Would the Xfinity box, Oppo, AVR (Marantz SR-6011), or TV (LG B7A), do a better job of upscaling for me?
The fabulous job the Oppo player does in upscaling native 720p/1080i HDTV input to 1080p is something I've been utilizing for the past 5 years with my 103 (feeding a native 1080p Panny 65VT50) fed from my TWC/Spectrum DVR (actually it's a Linksys DMA2100 Windows Media Center extender). My experimentation early on was that the Oppo did a MUCH superior job of feeding HDTV-upscaled-to-1080p to the VT50 than the results obtained from letting the TV accept the native 720p/1080i input directly. The onscreen results were VISIBLY MUCH SUPERIOR.

In fact, the Oppo does a far superior upscaling/deinterlacing to that done by the DMA2100 (which can also be set to put out 1080p from native 720p/1080i source) or any DVR box. So the best HDTV results are obtained by setting the DVR box to put out "unprocessed native" 720p or 1080i output corresponding to the source program resolution of the HDTV channel, feeding that either 720p or 1080i unprocessed directly to the Oppo. Then the Oppo has the responsibility of upconverting/deinterlacing 720p/1080i input to 1080p output as required, to feed the 1080p display.

For best results watching conventional HDTV via the Oppo, don't do any upconverting in the DVR box itself. So if the xFinity box offers a "automatic native" output setting (i.e. leave 720p or 1080i untouched) that's the best. Otherwise, though I realize it's a minor inconvenience for you, if "automatic native output" is unavailable on the DVR box, just manually set the output to either 720p or 1080i depending on the channel you're currently watching, in order to feed untouched 720p or 1080i to the Oppo. There's really a significant visual improvement obtained by preventing the DVR box from doing its own upconverting/deinterlacing and letting the Oppo perform that task having been given untouched original "native" 720p or 1080i. The results on the screen are noticeably superior. You can experiment for yourself if you'd like but I'm sure you will eventually agree.

So I now do the same thing now with my 203, feeding a 55" LG OLED C7. This second Oppo-centric setup is still fed from the DMA2100 DVR box, which does NOT have "automatic native 720p/1080i output" option. So it still based on a manual setting puts out either native 720p or native 1080i depending on which channel I'm watching (so that I must manually change output resolution setting as necessary, if I change to a channel with the other resolution). But the improvement in visible onscreen results justify the minor inconvenience, the Oppo's upscaling/deinterlacing capablity is that much better than that of the DMA2100 or C7.

So now I'm seeing native 720p/1080i source fed untouched out of my DVR box, as native 720p/1080i into the 203 where it is upconverted/deinterlaced to 2160p by the 203, and fed as 2160p output for display by the C7. Results are glorious.
galonzo likes this.
post #30529 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Apologies if this has been discussed/asked, but has anyone noticed any significant difference or improvement with forcing DV on HDR10 titles?

I'm redoing HT, and won't be able to test anything until Wednesday when everything is set up again.

Thanks
post #30530 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivix729 View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed/asked, but has anyone noticed any significant difference or improvement with forcing DV on HDR10 titles?

I'm redoing HT, and won't be able to test anything until Wednesday when everything is set up again.

Thanks
This is going to be source dependent. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The better question is whether it does any harm, and so far it appears that answer is no. It also depends on whether your display is equally well calibrated for HDR10 and DV, which are separate settings.
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.
post #30531 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Only other possibility is the source disc. You said the Grease 4k disc 4 out of 6 times acted up. Any other 4k discs give you problems? Perhaps you could try exchanging your Grease disc for another?
Yep, The Last Jedi does the same thing... but at a different point in the process (most commonly when going to the menu from the movie - whereas Grease is the other way around)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #30532 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know what an "OMARS" certified cable might be. If that's a brand, I'm not familiar with it.

Premium Certified cables come with this label:

--Bob
Yes OMARS is a brand. I'm in the UK. They carry that trademark.

post #30533 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
^ Two other things to try. Physically disconnect any HDMI output cable between the AVR and the TV. If that fixes the problem, then you are likely looking at a situation with either HDMI ARC or HDMI CEC from the TV.

And try a different input into the TV for the cable from the OPPO. This is to rule out a problem with the input you are using now.
--Bob
I'll give that a try. The thing thats bugging me the most is that this only happens on these particular DV titles. It doesnt happen on any of my HDR 10 discs or blu-rays. So it would baffle me if it was being caused by a different cable running to the TV.

I'll also swap out the HDMI (I have several spare) to see if that makes any difference. I may also order a Monoprice from the US since thats what most people seem to be using...

post #30534 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Yes OMARS is a brand. I'm in the UK. They carry that trademark.

I just did a search for that brand name cable and nowhere on any site do I see the Premium Certified Cable logo or even any mention of it.

It just might be worth it to try a cable that makes a point of displaying that label/mark.
galonzo and Greg TB like this.

Last edited by Keenan; 06-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #30535 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I'll give that a try. The thing thats bugging me the most is that this only happens on these particular DV titles. It doesnt happen on any of my HDR 10 discs or blu-rays. So it would baffle me if it was being caused by a different cable running to the TV.

I'll also swap out the HDMI (I have several spare) to see if that makes any difference. I may also order a Monoprice from the US since thats what most people seem to be using...

Your 4K video for HDR-10 may be going to the display as 10-bit. The Dolby Vision is 12-bit. THAT would put more stress on the cable.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #30536 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
I do wonder if UHD (esp Dolby Vision) is worth all these hassles. With picture dropouts at the start, indicators popping up repeatedly at the top of the screen, etc. Etc. This is not properly replicating the theatre experience IMHO.

Just watched The Matrix and it very briefly flashed on an audio options box over the WB logo. I mean... what?
I also find the brief Options popup to be distracting, but it does at least confirm if I failed to manually select the Atmos track when it is not the disc default.

I did not think this is Oppo's doing. I thought it must be something added to recent UHD discs.
StanGeek likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #30537 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
has the HDR to DV conversion worked for anyone on mkv files? it's working for me on both HDR discs and BDMV (both the oppo info and tv are showing DV); however on every mkv i try both the oppo and tv still show the output as HDR though whenever i try to adjust any settings on the oppo i receive an error saying that adjustment is not allowed for DV content
post #30538 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 5767
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I can hardly stand SDR now that I've seen HDR. Especially for games. I'd take 1080p HDR vs 4k SDR if that was the choice to make.
You bet! the dirty little secret is that HDR does as much for 1080P sources as it does for 4K. Why won't the studios use it on 1080P quality releases but only on the more expensive 4K quality versions? Here's why:
Crazytrekker and grtuck like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #30539 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
I do wonder if UHD (esp Dolby Vision) is worth all these hassles. With picture dropouts at the start, indicators popping up repeatedly at the top of the screen,
The post I responded remarked on loss of signal during a range transition. That's typical on my C7. All the other issues speak to HDMI path problems. The usual trouble-shooting guidance applies.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #30540 of 36769 Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
im encountering an issue with the 203 ,when I switch to arc audio ,it says device connected ,then it switches to the oppo home screen disconnecting arc

greatone99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page