Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279180Likes

post #3031 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11327 Post(s)
Liked: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintrontaco View Post
Could someone help me with dimensions of the 203? The website lists it as 3.1 inches tall but I'm wondering if this is accounting for how tall it sits with it's feet or if it just the chassis of the unit? I'm trying to figure out if it'll fit in front of my tv without blocking the panel. My xbox one s slightly blocks but not that big of a deal.
That dimension includes the feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
Ok, we all got our player, now what? Only handful UHD discs out there worth watching and after a few days you are done with UHD…
Look at it this way, we're a lot better off than rabid book readers were a year after Gutenberg invented the printing press. Your handful of UHD discs worth watching is a hell of a lot better than the number of books worth reading that were available from printers a year after books started rolling off the printing press. A year ago there were no UHD discs worth watching and no way to watch them. I'd say we've come a long way, and new discs are being released a lot faster than new books started coming off the printing press.

It was the same when BD was introduced, early adopters with players who wanted stuff to watch, a limited range of discs, and no one thinks every disc released is worth watching. And we weren't done with BD in a few days because if we had been we'd have all gone back to DVD and BD wouldn't still be around.

Take a look at a list of films already scheduled for release in UHD over the next few months and you'll find a reason to believe that you aren't done with UHD yet.
TimWelborn and dashcam88 like this.
post #3033 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Ok, as another experimental feature I have added Recommended Settings to the FAQ. So far it is just Bob's settings for the LG E6 OLED.

I will add more if you submit them. I'd rather not copy them from the postings here because I just can't keep up with where everyone is in their evaluation.

So: if you are confident that you have exhaustively examined the combinations and have settings that will work for others with the same display, then please send them to me by PM or email.

Thank you!

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Thanks Bill!

post #3035 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11327 Post(s)
Liked: 6717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I have a Darbee Darblet device, is there anyway to include it in the chain for only standard Blu-Ray playback? I have a Denon 510BT receiver in the mix too. Just thinking out loud. Would love to still use the Darblet for non UHD disc playback via the Oppo 203.
Here is how I do it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49144393
dpippel likes this.
post #3036 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
I am using it on my Sony 665es pj which has it's own upsacling feature that I think by itself is a bit better than the Darbee in the Oppo 103D anyway. Thanks!
I've been sitting on my 203 that I received a few days ago...patiently waiting for the Control 4 folks to program for the Oppo. I have 3 Anthem amps, the AVM60, and misc other rack mounted equipment and didn't have the energy to unlace all the cabling and have a go at it myself. Anyway, have you had a chance to play with the settings for the Oppo paired with the 665es? I'm thinking Custom, 10-bit, 4:2:2 is the way to go but I guess I'll see in a few hours.
post #3037 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5405 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I wish OPPO would have kept 2 HDMI video out ports like they had on the 93. That way you could set up one as Direct Source for blu ray with a darblet attached, and the other one for 4K video. Then have a 3rd port for audio out.
d.j. likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #3038 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Look at it this way, we're a lot better off than rabid book readers were a year after Gutenberg invented the printing press. Your handful of UHD discs worth watching is a hell of a lot better than the number of books worth reading that were available from printers a year after books started rolling off the printing press. A year ago there were no UHD discs worth watching and no way to watch them. I'd say we've come a long way, and new discs are being released a lot faster than new books started coming off the printing press.

It was the same when BD was introduced, early adopters with players who wanted stuff to watch, a limited range of discs, and no one thinks every disc released is worth watching. And we weren't done with BD in a few days because if we had been we'd have all gone back to DVD and BD wouldn't still be around.

Take a look at a list of films already scheduled for release in UHD over the next few months and you'll find a reason to believe that you aren't done with UHD yet.
Yes true but some of those movies i can't even call them 4K HDR, for example if you watch Mad Max or Shallow than watch Bourne movies just came out so called 4K HDR, between them huge differences on PQ. Yes down the road it will be like DVD to BD differences (who is watching DVD now) i was pointing out early stage we are in that we have these great players but not many things to watch and pretty long time i think we all go back to our BD movies and watch them.
Another point is that BD playback quality is going to be really important in a pretty long time.
post #3039 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Hi everyone, I need a piece of advice from the audio experts here. I asked the same question in the Panasonic UB900 thread.

I recently bought a KEF speaker system and a Marantz AV NR1606 receiver, all hooked up to my Sony ZD9 tv. Player wise, I am using the Sammy K8500 which, as you probably know, doesn't offer anything in the audio department apart from digital outputs.

For the sake of better sound, I am thinking of selling the Sammy and going either for the Panny UB900 or the Oppo UDP-203. My intention is to use the player's DAC for conversion and then output the signal via the analog outputs to the Marantz. The assumption is that both of these players have a better DAC (32/192 with DSD) than the Marantz (24/192).

However, the Panny has dedicated stereo outputs, whereas the Oppo does not and the down conversion to stereo would have to be done by the Oppo's internal software.

My questions are:

1. Which of the 2 players have a better DAC? I know Oppo uses AKM from Japan, but I am not sure who the DAC maker for the Panny is.
Don't know.

Quote:
2. Would the analog signal be processed as such by the Marantz AV receiver, amplified and sent to the speakers, or would the AV receiver convert it back to digital, then process it via it's own DAC before sending the signal to the speakers?
That may be up to you and the Marantz. If you use Audyssey room correction, it will have to be converted back to digital for Audyssey to apply its corrections and then the Marantz will use its own DAC to convert the signal back to analog. I also don't know if your Marantz has an analog volume control but if if doesn't it will have to convert to digital and then back again. You're going to have to do some digging in your Marantz's manual or ask Marantz themselves.

Quote:
3. Should I expect a significant sound quality improvement by sending the audio via the player's analogue outputs as opposed to sending it via HDMI?
Maybe. A lot depends on other things like your room and the benefit of applying room correction. It's possible that the advantages of analogue output may be less than the advantages of using room correction if you have a room with a lot of problems. There's advantages and disadvantages to both approaches and which approach wins depends on the circumstances and even on personal taste to some degree.

Quote:
Many thanks!

P.S. another option for me is to get a separate external DAC (I am thinking Musical Fidelity V90), output the sound from the Sammy K8500 to the DAC via spdif, and then use the analogue stereo outputs on the DAC to send analogue signal to the Marantz receiver for amplification.
That will run into the same issues as those above plus it's a 2 channel solution only.

What you can do is this, since it sounds like you're only interested in analog for 2 channels:

Connect the 203 to the Marantz via HDMI and also by a pair of analog interconnects connected to the FR/FL analog outputs on the 203 and you will then be able to swap between multichannel digital output and analog output from the 203 by selecting different inputs on the Marantz and do your own comparisons.

If stereo analog output is important to you, you may be better off waiting for the release of the 205 since Oppo's 05 models have better stereo analog output than the 03 models. The 205 may be a better option than buying a separate external stereo DAC, but the price difference between the 203 and the 205 may be more than you are considering spending on a separate DAC and only you can tell whether you think you're getting more value from a 203 plus separate DAC than from a 205, or whether you think that digital output from the 203 and using the DAC in the Marantz or analog from the 203 straight to the Marantz is good enough for your tastes and that spending more is worth it to you.
post #3040 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes true but some of those movies i can't even call them 4K HDR, for example if you watch Mad Max or Shallow than watch Bourne movies just came out so called 4K HDR, between them huge differences on PQ. Yes down the road it will be like DVD to BD differences (who is watching DVD now) i was pointing out early stage we are in that we have these great players but not many things to watch and pretty long time i think we all go back to our BD movies and watch them.
Another point is that BD playback quality is going to be really important in a pretty long time.
I'm not sure UHD blu ray will ever catch on. DVD still outsells blu ray by almost 10 to 1. When you can buy a newly released dvd version of a movie for $15 vs $20 for a blu vs $25 to $30 for a UHD movie, it all come down to economics. At those prices, the industry has already killed UHD blu ray and UHD players for the mass market. It will always remain a niche market. If the industry wants people to jump on the UHD bandwagon, they will need to kill the blu ray version in the future and sell the UHD version for the price they currently charge for blu ray. They will never kill DVD, because that's where they get most of their money with regards to disc sales.

post #3041 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
My 203 came earlier today. With help from my son in law, I got it up and running without incident. In the bargain, I upgraded the firmware via the Internet, and installed and tested my new JVB Digital all regions chip. I played part of the 4K HDR version of The Magnificent Seven. It looked great and sounded just as good, thanks to a terrific Atmos soundtrack. About the only thing I have left to solve is how to get my Crestron remote, which worked with the 103, to work with the 203. My AV guy will have to handle that, though.
grtuck and Duckbacker like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #3042 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Hi everyone, I need a piece of advice from the audio experts here. I asked the same question in the Panasonic UB900 thread.

I recently bought a KEF speaker system and a Marantz AV NR1606 receiver, all hooked up to my Sony ZD9 tv. Player wise, I am using the Sammy K8500 which, as you probably know, doesn't offer anything in the audio department apart from digital outputs.

For the sake of better sound, I am thinking of selling the Sammy and going either for the Panny UB900 or the Oppo UDP-203. My intention is to use the player's DAC for conversion and then output the signal via the analog outputs to the Marantz. The assumption is that both of these players have a better DAC (32/192 with DSD) than the Marantz (24/192).

However, the Panny has dedicated stereo outputs, whereas the Oppo does not and the down conversion to stereo would have to be done by the Oppo's internal software.

My questions are:

1. Which of the 2 players have a better DAC? I know Oppo uses AKM from Japan, but I am not sure who the DAC maker for the Panny is.

2. Would the analog signal be processed as such by the Marantz AV receiver, amplified and sent to the speakers, or would the AV receiver convert it back to digital, then process it via it's own DAC before sending the signal to the speakers?

3. Should I expect a significant sound quality improvement by sending the audio via the player's analogue outputs as opposed to sending it via HDMI?

Many thanks!

P.S. another option for me is to get a separate external DAC (I am thinking Musical Fidelity V90), output the sound from the Sammy K8500 to the DAC via spdif, and then use the analogue stereo outputs on the DAC to send analogue signal to the Marantz receiver for amplification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higher numbers from a spec sheet don't necessarily translate to better in the real world. The implementation of the technology within its full signal path combined with environment is what you ultimately hear. For instance, I just upgraded from a Marantz SR8001 to a Marantz SR6011. Both have 24/192 DACs in them. On paper the SR8001 has a toroidal transformer and a copper chassis and is two steps higher in model #, but it's also 8ish years old. On paper they should sound pretty similar or the SR8001 better right? The SR6011 produces a much more detailed, clear presentation. It's very noticeably superior to the SR8001. Also, audio perception is both objective and subjective. Subjectively you may prefer a certain type of sound vs another. You might like a warmer sound vs analytical. Specs won't help you with that. You just gotta hear something to know if you like it.

A couple of decent articles....

http://www.androidauthority.com/why-...it-dac-667621/

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||
post #3043 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Theoretically no. At least not in any substantial fashion In practice it depends on how your display handles the different input formats. The only way to know is to try it and see.

The larger Color Depth allows rounding values to transmit across the HDMI cable from the player to the TV. However, since we are talking rounding values, even if all the equipment is doing things right the difference should be subtle.
--Bob
Bob; Just wanted to provide an update reur posts the other evening concerning The Panny & the 203 & my Sony X930D, & perceived "soft" PQ of the 203. Well, after much trial & tribulation, when I switched main output to 4:4:[email protected] on the player wala! Back in business! 4K HDR now looks outstanding! In fact, returned the Panny to BB this afternoon. Maybe just a quirk w/the Sony? Thanks again for all your patience with me!
wxman, Bob Pariseau and davehale like this.
post #3044 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True, not all UHD discs are of the highest quality when it comes to picture quality, but not all BD discs offer the best picture quality that BD can provide. Whatever kind of disc that a movie is mastered to, they are mastered by people and not everyone does an equally good job and the quality of the source material is also not equally good. UHD is not a magic bullet to fix all picture quality problems and deliver perfect results with every disc. If you want that then you're expecting too much. There are some really bad BD releases out there and there are still less than brilliant BD releases coming out. UHD is going to be the same. Quality does improve over time and there are fewer really bad BD releases coming out now than there were in the early days of BD so things will get better but there's always going to be variations.

And the starting point is always the movie/TV show and there's a lot of variation in the starting points. If the source material isn't brilliant you're not going to get a brilliant disc release anyway. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I will say this, however. I have replaced some BDs I owned with UHD remasters and I have yet to come across a UHD remaster that I think is worse than the BD it replaced in my collection. That's a big positive in my view.

As for not having many things to watch on UHD, we didn't have many things to watch on BD at the start either, and I was an early BD adopter. I can remember when there were a lot more DVDs on my shelves than there were BDs, and when I could go to a rental store and there was a very small range of BD titles available and most titles were DVD only. It takes time to get a large range of titles available for a new format and we're still in the very early days of UHD.

Things get better over time. The problem with being an early adopter, and we're early adopters, is that you have to put up with the initial period when there aren't many titles available in the new format.
Carter D likes this.
post #3045 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post
Higher numbers from a spec sheet don't necessarily translate to better in the real world. The implementation of the technology within its full signal path combined with environment is what you ultimately hear. For instance, I just upgraded from a Marantz SR8001 to a Marantz SR6011. Both have 24/192 DACs in them. On paper the SR8001 has a toroidal transformer and a copper chassis and is two steps higher in model #, but it's also 8ish years old. On paper they should sound pretty similar or the SR8001 better right? The SR6011 produces a much more detailed, clear presentation. It's very noticeably superior to the SR8001. Also, audio perception is both objective and subjective. Subjectively you may prefer a certain type of sound vs another. You might like a warmer sound vs analytical. Specs won't help you with that. You just gotta hear something to know if you like it.

A couple of decent articles....

http://www.androidauthority.com/why-...it-dac-667621/

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thank you for your comments. Do you suggest I stay with the Sammy and let the AV receiver do the conversion, meaning I wouldn't benefit from the analog outs on either the Oppo or the Panny?

post #3046 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I'm not sure UHD blu ray will ever catch on. DVD still outsells blu ray by almost 10 to 1. When you can buy a newly released dvd version of a movie for $15 vs $20 for a blu vs $25 to $30 for a UHD movie, it all come down to economics. At those prices, the industry has already killed UHD blu ray and UHD players for the mass market. It will always remain a niche market. If the industry wants people to jump on the UHD bandwagon, they will need to kill the blu ray version in the future and sell the UHD version for the price they currently charge for blu ray. They will never kill DVD, because that's where they get most of their money with regards to disc sales.

I disagree. What they need to do IS kill off DVD, and force people to either A) Upgrade or B) Do without. In this society, people will not do without and will swallow the cost of upgrading.
What they are doing by continuing to offer DVD is enabling equipment complacency.
If I'm honest I can't see how DVD still sells so well - if I wanted DVD quality I'd download every movie from the internet for free.

Sony XBR65X930E | Yamaha RXA3060 | AudioSource AMP100VS | Oppo UDP203 | NVidia Shield | Sony SSK90ED/70ED/CNK10ED *** Looking for 2 x K10ED's!! ***| KEF Ci160ER's (4) | Sony SAWX900's (2) | SVS PC12 Plus | Monster AVS2000SS & HTPS7000SS |
post #3047 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
My questions are:

1. The UDP-203 uses the same DAC as the Marantz SR7010/7011 - AKM AK4458VN. The Panasonic uses four 192kHz/32bit DAC's, but I couldn't find anything specific about them.

2. The first one.

3. I doubt that you would hear a significant difference with the Marantz NR1606 when listening to multichannel surround sound or even 2 channel sound. Maybe if you had better amplification. The UDP-205, on the other hand, will be an entirely different animal.
post #3048 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcam88 View Post
I disagree. What they need to do IS kill off DVD, and force people to either A) Upgrade or B) Do without. In this society, people will not do without and will swallow the cost of upgrading.
What they are doing by continuing to offer DVD is enabling equipment complacency.
If I'm honest I can't see how DVD still sells so well - if I wanted DVD quality I'd download every movie from the internet for free.

That will only work if they drastically reduce the price of blu ray and UHD movies. The UHD version of The Revenant is selling for $25. The DVD version costs only $8. But that's neither here or there. This is the 203 thread, so I won't divert anymore than I have already from that discussion.

post #3049 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
1. The UDP-203 uses the same DAC as the Marantz SR7010/7011 - AKM AK4458VN. The Panasonic uses four 192kHz/32bit DAC's, but I couldn't find anything specific about them.

2. The first one.

3. I doubt that you would hear a significant difference with the Marantz NR1606 when listening to multichannel surround sound or even 2 channel sound. Maybe if you had better amplification. The UDP-205, on the other hand, will be an entirely different animal.

Well, the SR7011 is the flagship receiver, so I guess the DAC must be great in it.

The Panny supposedly uses 5 DAC's, of which one is only for stereo analogue outputs. The Oppo doesn't have a separate DAC for stereo.

Multichannel surround is impossible on the NR1606, it only has stereo analogue inputs (size restrictions).

I am still unsure what to do.

Scott 44 likes this.
post #3050 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcam88 View Post
I disagree. What they need to do IS kill off DVD, and force people to either A) Upgrade or B) Do without.
Slowly I turned...

You know there are laserdisc titles that still have never even been on DVD?

I've got a want-list of classic and certain cult material will never appear on anything better than DVD, if they appear at all.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #3051 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Not sure where you get your data but for 2016 Blu-Ray makes up roughly 37% of disc based sales and that number has gradually increased over the past 3+ years.

UHD will be niche, and I don't think that is a surprise to anyone. Just like Blu-Ray when it released the studios will maximize profit from early adopters and then the prices will decrease. Every UHD disc I owned (about 20) was bought during a buy 1 get 1 50% off sale that Best Buy promoted so there are already deals out there if you look for them.

Streaming will continue to grow and UHD will be part of that growth as well, but there is still a market for movies on a physical disc, and video/audio philes will pay. I have been hearing how CD quality audio is dead for at least 10+ years now but there is still a market for it, and vinyl also has a nice niche.

There will never be another DVD as the landscaped/technology has changed and consumers have many ways to consume content now.
post #3052 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Comparing BD playback

Did you guys who owns 203 now compared BD playback with your old Oppo's or whichever BD players you have/had.
I did it with my Oppo 83 and Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD and for me Pioneer is the winner and i will keep that unit for the BD discs only.
What is your take on BD quality with this unit versus the old one you had.
Like i said earlier post, we are going to be here and watching many many more regular BD's even we have the top of the line devices for higher quality.
post #3053 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What you are describing are classic symptoms of Disc Read Error Recovery in process.

Even though the disc LOOKS clean, it still probably needs to be hosed down.
--Bob
Thanks Bob - I'll try that and see if that solves the problem
post #3054 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well, the SR7011 is the flagship receiver, so I guess the DAC must be great in it.
Can't speak for the SR7011, but I have the SR7009 and I'm very disappointed. I specifically bought a BDP-95 in order to bypass the Marantz's DAC.
post #3055 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If any of you have Sully 4K can you try playing the blu ray and tell me if you are getting Atmos. My Marantz 7010 is showing only DD+. Tried another Atmos disc and it worked fine. Have tried stopping and restarting but no luck...cannot get it to display Atmos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #3056 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
Can't speak for the SR7011, but I have the SR7009 and I'm very disappointed. I specifically bought a BDP-95 in order to bypass the Marantz's DAC.

How would you compare your experiences (Oppo DAC vs Marantz DAC)?
post #3057 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Slowly I turned...

You know there are laserdisc titles that still have never even been on DVD?

I've got a want-list of classic and certain cult material will never appear on anything better than DVD, if they appear at all.

-Bill
You too :-)

I'd love to see a UHD release of "The Abyss", I'd even love to see a BD release of it. I watched a bit of it the other day on the 203 when checking what the 203 could do with DVDs and it looked the best I've seen it so far so I'm grateful for the 203 but it would be nice to see it on something better than DVD.

And I have a list of other things I'd like to see on UHD, or even BD in some cases. How about the original British films of "Village of the Damned" and "Children of the Damned"? I'll probably never see them on anything better than DVD but at least the DVDs aren't bad DVDs, they're actually reasonably good. On the other hand the Howard Keel 1962 "Day of the Triffids" might have been better served if it never had come to DVD and I won't complain if I never see it on anything better than DVD. One day I must see what the 203 can make of it but I have low hopes and a lot of stuff in the queue ahead of it.

There is a lot of great cult stuff out there that could do with a HD/UHD release and we'll probably never see it. I think the 203 improves a little on my 105 when it comes to DVD and that, at least, is something to be grateful for.

See how I cleverly remained on topic by bringing things back to the 203's performance? :-)
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #3058 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:49 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
How about the original British films of "Village of the Damned" and "Children of the Damned"?
All I can offer is "The Day the Earth Caught Fire", due on Blu-ray next year.

-Bill
David Aiken, Operon and Adrienn like this.

post #3059 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If anyone is looking for 18 GB certified cables on the cheap if mono price don't work for some reason. . . Vanco. I am using a 10 footer to my LG from a marantz and have no issues at 4k60 4:4:4, 8 bit. I have no issues with playback (yet) at 4k24 4:4:4, 12 bit, HDR also. From the oppo to the marantz 6 footers are being used.

Just throwing it out there for anyone.

jim
grtuck likes this.
post #3060 of 37256 Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
How would you compare your experiences (Oppo DAC vs Marantz DAC)?
The BDP-95 for me has the best audio quality from all Oppo players so far followed closely by the BDP-105. I'm sure the UDP-205 will be the same. There's just no comparison to the DAC's used in AV Receivers. I've even gone so far as to get 3 quality stereo amplifiers /Naim 5si/ and use the Marantz only to power up my center and 4 height speakers.
Mike_WI likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page