Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279309Likes

post #33451 of 37482 Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianMM View Post
Hello,

I think I wrongly added this post somewhere else ... I hope here is the correct place...

About the possible future new firmware...if there'll ever be a future new firmware

1.FWD, REV buttons won't work on audio files (flac, wav, mp3)

2.Zoom is having too large increments ... would be nice if it may incrementally increase and decrease horizontally and vertically and also re-position the image up and down incrementally (in order to view the subtitles below a 16:9 image instead over it). Zoom is not working while picture is set to any other selection other than "Auto"... (there are custom UHD Auto, and Source Direct - on these zoom is not working)

3.Font size needs more increments for getting shrinker (I have a very large screen)

4.Subtitles should have a seeting for allowing direct external subtitles adding instead of implicit internal selection... which always made me select and search until the end of the list, and on the last position of the list, the external subtitle can be added. Please make THIS subtitle as first to be selected automatically and let the user choose otherwise.

5.Volume is not operating on HDMI output ... but other players don't have this problem... so, for volume I must switch the remote controls and use alwasy the TV remote for volume and the Oppo remote for playing functions.

6.Sharp, Contrast, Luminosity seems to have no effect from the button...no matter the settings of the picture (auto, custom UHD, or Source Direct)

I am not sure if the software might fix all these issues or the hardware has limits... but it would be nice
Good stuff... I would like to see vertical, horizontal position added to 21:9 zoom.. That would do it for sure!

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 10-03-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33452 of 37482 Old 10-01-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Hello,

5.Volume is not operating on HDMI output ... but other players don't have this problem... so, for volume I must switch the remote controls and use alwasy the TV remote for volume and the Oppo remote for playing functions.
I would prefer it remains as is. I don't want competing volume controls. Or at least a setting be required to enable volume control with the default false.

Oppo does not seem to agree with you. Page 25 of the Oppo 205 user manual:

1. On the UDP-203, the volume control only affects the analog audio output. It does not apply to digital audio output (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) either in raw bitstream format or in LPCM format.
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #33453 of 37482 Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I would prefer it remains as is. I don't want competing volume controls. Or at least a setting be required to enable volume control with the default false.

1. On the UDP-203, the volume control only affects the analog audio output. It does not apply to digital audio output (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) either in raw bitstream format or in LPCM format.
This is an even better ideea ! Thank you very much ! I hope there'll be a new firmware ... it would be nice. I believe the list of issues that I presented above are solvable by a new firmware,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33454 of 37482 Old 10-01-2018, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
Hello,

I think I wrongly added this post somewhere else ... I hope here is the correct place...

About the possible future new firmware...if there'll ever be a future new firmware

I just noticed this the other day listening to some flac files. it would be nice to be able to scrub through the timeline of the song.
galonzo likes this.
post #33455 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Those are probably metric pounds. Or perhaps Pounds Sterling.
--Bob
Hey Bob, on a side note if you’re free to comment is there still activity in the beta forums or has it become very quiet? I’d just like to know if there’s still life at OPPO or is it basically a email answering service with a repairman that comes in on Weds.?
woofer, giomania and galonzo like this.

Clark
post #33456 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Hey Bob, on a side note if you’re free to comment is there still activity in the beta forums or has it become very quiet? I’d just like to know if there’s still life at OPPO or is it basically a email answering service with a repairman that comes in on Weds.?

The service tech comes on Thursday, as Wednesday is golfing day. 🧐

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MBullen likes this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #33457 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 06:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

Volume control should NOT be done on the HDMI output. It absolutely cannot be done on bitstream output for things like Dolby Digital, DTS, and so on. I could theoretically be done on LPCM content, but should not IMHO. The entire issue you're trying to solve here is trivially solved by using a universal remote. Controlling the volume on the source also doesn't solve anything once you're dealing with more than 1 source device (cable box, streaming box, optical player...).

Quote:
This is an even better ideea ! Thank you very much ! I hope there'll be a new firmware ... it would be nice. I believe the list of issues that I presented above are solvable by a new firmware,
Keeping in mind that Oppo is leaving the market, I would suggest that you adjust your expectations accordingly. Even as a beta tester, I have no idea what level of effort they're going to be putting in as time goes on, but I don't think it's reasonable for people to expect much in the way of new features at this point.
galonzo and Jonas2 like this.
post #33458 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Keeping in mind that Oppo is leaving the market, I would suggest that you adjust your expectations accordingly. Even as a beta tester, I have no idea what level of effort they're going to be putting in as time goes on, but I don't think it's reasonable for people to expect much in the way of new features at this point.
Would they, do you think, be "influenced" by a under the table "tip" financed by a gofundme #PleaseAddDVToHdmiInputToMy20X

It would be kept hush-hush so the REC.2020 mapping folks would keep their pitchforks sheathed, but I would still get my DV HDMI input?

Please keep this under wraps.
post #33459 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just noticed this the other day listening to some flac files. it would be nice to be able to scrub through the timeline of the song.
Quote:
Hello,

Turn off gapless playback mode.
post #33460 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
AMAZING !! it works now... thank you very much !
I didn't knew that.
post #33461 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
That would be a nice parting gift.. I haven't see it yet and hoping it stays that way
Talking about parting gift - it would be nice if Oppo enables playback of ISO files again.
zombie10k likes this.
post #33462 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Quote:
AMAZING !! it works now... thank you very much !
I didn't knew that.
What on Earth does gapless playback have to do with FF/Rev on files? Does Oppo know about this design flaw? I see an opportunity for another firmware fix.

filmnut
post #33463 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5414 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
thank you for the info!
post #33464 of 37482 Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnut View Post
What on Earth does gapless playback have to do with FF/Rev on files? Does Oppo know about this design flaw? I see an opportunity for another firmware fix.
Its not a "flaw", it is by design. The only way that gapless can work is by buffering ahead. It cannot buffer forward and backward at the same time, so those commands are locked out. It also cannot buffer forward at more than 1x speed. It used to be that you could use FF/RW but it would cancel gapless play. When gapless was added as a default option, (by customer demand), that had to be removed.
ti-triodes and wl1 like this.
post #33465 of 37482 Old 10-03-2018, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 2307
TONE MAPPING FIX....MAYBE?

Last edited by woofer; 10-03-2018 at 02:44 AM.
post #33466 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 662
When this thread goes a day with no posts then you know it’s slow. Wow, how things have changed.

Clark
post #33467 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
When this thread goes a day with no posts then you know it’s slow. Wow, how things have changed.
Yep, Good timing for a firmware update....
post #33468 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Yep, Good timing for a firmware update....
Yes, then it will be several pages. Without new owners coming to ask questions, this is what we'll get no posts.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #33469 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
"Dark gray letter box bars (instead of true Black) during Dolby Vision output from UHD discs looks to me to be an error in the authoring tools used to create the first Dolby Vision discs."

On my Sony 940D, I get true black letterbox bars on every DVD and blu-ray. However, I am now buying some UHD HDR discs, and am getting dark gray bars on some discs, ie Fifth Element. So, this frustrating issue isn't limited to Dolby Vision (although I'm spared that, since the TV doesn't support it). At this point I guess I'll just live with it, since I don't want to change settings for every disc.
I have a similar issue with my 940D, but it's the same across all formats. Although the bars look blacker with DVD and Blu-ray than they do with UHD, the only mode where the bars are truly black is RGB-PC. I've been through all other modes, and the rest are all too bright. The best picture I've been able to achieve with UHD is by using RGB-PC, lowering the black level and employing live color. I should also add that with my XBOX One, which is passed through the Oppo, the best picture is when the video is set to RGB.
post #33470 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Yep, Good timing for a firmware update....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Yes, then it will be several pages. Without new owners coming to ask questions, this is what we'll get no posts.
And a thousand posts about tone mapping. Forgive me for poking the bear.
post #33471 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 2753
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post
And a thousand posts about tone mapping. Forgive me for poking the bear.
Yes, I'm glad there are less posts because the vast majority didn't affect most of us but we had to spend quite a lot of time reading through them all.

lujan
567 Ultra HD
728 HD
4 SD
post #33472 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff360 View Post
I have a similar issue with my 940D, but it's the same across all formats. Although the bars look blacker with DVD and Blu-ray than they do with UHD, the only mode where the bars are truly black is RGB-PC. I've been through all other modes, and the rest are all too bright. The best picture I've been able to achieve with UHD is by using RGB-PC, lowering the black level and employing live color. I should also add that with my XBOX One, which is passed through the Oppo, the best picture is when the video is set to RGB.

Something I can't claim to understand, but I've got zero issues with this. Black bars as black can be (to the best of my display's capabilities), doesn't matter DVD, Blu-Ray, or UHD. Just pretty much factory settings, all auto, Oppo - AVM - Display. Simple set up, I know. Nothing else runs through the Oppo. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough and they are grayish, but my eyes can't tell....
kirky27 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #33473 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5836 Post(s)
Liked: 8325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff360 View Post
Odds are you've got your TV set incorrectly.

Switching to RGB-PC Level output from the OPPO *WILL* change the black levels, but it will also mess up the image you are getting, so that's not the correct solution. You should set your TV so you get correct results from the OPPO when the OPPO is set to YCbCr output.

The most likely culprit here is you have your TV set to expect "Black" will be sent from the player with the numeric value 0 instead of the normal (for Home Theater use) 16. Look for a setting (in the TV!) related to Black Levels which offers only TWO choices -- not some sort of slider or numeric setting with multiple choices -- and try switching the TV to the other of those two choices.

For more on what's going on, see my Blog post here:

Blacker Than Black Video, OR, "Hello Darkness my Old Friend!"

--Bob
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #33474 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In an article here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#487dc3cd28f7

it says that a firmware update for the Sony X700 fixed the raised black issue with Dolby Vision. Has the latest Oppo firmware fixed the problem as well? If not will they fix it? Cause that would mean I dont need a new TV firmware which would be a big relief as my LG OLED B6 is a mess with the newest updates and raised black issues on its own....
post #33475 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
In an article here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#487dc3cd28f7

it says that a firmware update for the Sony X700 fixed the raised black issue with Dolby Vision. Has the latest Oppo firmware fixed the problem as well? If not will they fix it? Cause that would mean I dont need a new TV firmware which would be a big relief as my LG OLED B6 is a mess with the newest updates and raised black issues on its own....
It's fixed in the current firmware for the OPPO 203 and 205.

Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. The "Main" firmware version number should end "60-0625"

Note that you ALSO need up to date firmware in your LG B6, as the root cause of the problem was in the implementation of Dolby Vision *IN THE TV ITSELF*.

--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #33476 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Just to be sure (about to buy an expensive Oppo 203 ) you're saying with the newest Oppo firmware there is no more raised black issue when playing Dolby Vision material no matter what TV you are using? That would be fantastic!!!

Edit: Ah damn so the Oppo fix is only half of it I also need the newest OLED firmware what a shame As that firmware destroys the black level all on its own thx to LG....
post #33477 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Just to be sure (about to buy an expensive Oppo 203 ) you're saying with the newest Oppo firmware there is no more raised black issue when playing Dolby Vision material no matter what TV you are using? That would be fantastic!!!
See the comment I just added to my post: The root cause of this problem was in the implementation of Dolby Vision via HDMI Input *IN THE TV ITSELF*.

So the real fix you need here is up to date firmware in your LG B6.

With that firmware installed, the latest firmware in the OPPO players will no longer trigger this problem.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #33478 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Edit: Ah damn so the Oppo fix is only half of it I also need the newest OLED firmware what a shame As that firmware destroys the black level all on its own thx to LG....
I've not heard of any current problem with black levels in the LG B6. Check in the owner's thread here on AVS for the B6 for help, but as far as I know, it is "safe" to install the current firmware publicly released for the LG B6.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

post #33479 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 01:56 PM

Yeah well I dont want to go too much offtopic here but unfortunately the earlier 5.* firmwares I tried destroy the black level on their own (SDR, HDR10 or DV doesnt matter) and there have been many reports that even the newest firmware doesnt change that. Thats why I wanted to keep my 4.* firmware as everything is great (except apparently Dolby Vision blacks....). Thats how LG destroys the Dolby Vision experience and keeps me from buying an Oppo.
post #33480 of 37482 Old 10-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Yeah well I dont want to go too much offtopic here but unfortunately the earlier 5.* firmwares I tried destroy the black level on their own (SDR, HDR10 or DV doesnt matter) and there have been many reports that even the newest firmware doesnt change that. Thats why I wanted to keep my 4.* firmware as everything is great (except apparently Dolby Vision blacks....). Thats how LG destroys the Dolby Vision experience and keeps me from buying an Oppo.
Agreed that this is off topic for this thread, but I *AM* surprised. I use an E6 myself, and in my conversations with others using the B6 I've not heard of any such problems.

--Bob
jsherron99 and galonzo like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page