Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279179Likes

post #33481 of 37253 Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
For more on what's going on, see my Blog post here:

Blacker Than Black Video, OR, "Hello Darkness my Old Friend!"

--Bob

At first I saw "Back In Black" (AC/DC). I can make another song suggestion for your article above. Maybe this one is for the LCD owners.

galonzo likes this.

Home Theater 5.1 Setup: Marantz AV8805, Sunfire TGA-7401, Monitor Audio Gold GX300 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 350 Center, Rythmik Audio G25HP, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung PN64F8500
PC Audio 5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-X3300W, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 150 Center, Rythmik Audio F12SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33482 of 37253 Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a dream

If the firmware gurus at OPPO succeed to add HDR10+ support in the future firmware, I activate conversion to Dolby Vision feature in the OPPO, my Dolby Vision supported TV starts to receive correct dynamic metadata HDR signal regardless HDR10+ is not officially supported by the TV.

That would be a fully universal HDR setup in case UHD releases encoded with HDR10+ start to sell
Do you think it's possible?

Last edited by blackie333; 10-04-2018 at 11:51 PM.
post #33483 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
" However, I am now buying some UHD HDR discs, and am getting dark gray bars on some discs, ie Fifth Element. .
I experienced something similar with dark gray bars, with some greenish tint - on "Skyscraper" UHD DV disc. Only on some scenes, though. I tested with player directly attached to TV and through an AVR with DV passthrough capabilities.

I think... wasn't Fifth Element scanned from original film print, and Skyscraper having an digital intermediate? Could be a transfer problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33484 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Agreed that this is off topic for this thread, but I *AM* surprised. I use an E6 myself, and in my conversations with others using the B6 I've not heard of any such problems.

--Bob
Bob,

I have a B6, and according to the thread the problem is still there. But it's not as bad as Sausage suggests. It sure wouldn't have kept me from buying a 203. According to the the thread when LG issued FW 5.x.x black levels were raised to the point that there is a faint glow. (has nothing to do with dolby vision). I'll be damned if I see it. I thought the FW was an improvement and the 'black crush' was now gone. Some report some success by going into the SM and knocking down white balance one click.

Regardless this has nothing to do with the DV problem that the 203 FW fixed, just more a consensus by some in the B6 thread that true black still has a faint glow, that you need a meter to see, so that LG destroyed 'infinite contrast ratio'. Like I said I don't see it, black still looks like very deep black, and there are no grey bars on dolby vision with the latest 203 FW.

Sorry for the off topic post, but not much going on here today anyway.
galonzo likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 10-05-2018 at 02:20 AM.
post #33485 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nvidia Shield Settings

Just bought an Nvidia Shiled too, and will connect it to my JVC X5900 projector through the Oppo 203. I would appreciate video settings recommendations too, which work well with a JVC DLA.
Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
That’s good advice. Would love if someone who uses the Nvidia Shield to come up with a similar recommendation for ideal settings (color bandwidth seeting, frame rate, and HDR on/off) for both the Shield and the Oppo. It’s a bit different as the Shield does not have a match Dynamic Color Range or match Frame Rate setting. The Shield goes through the Oppo input, to a processor (MX160) with a 10.2 gbps hdmi chipset, then to a Sony 4k projector. Would like, if possible, the best seting that is widely applicable to all scenarios, without the need to adjust everything for each movie. I have experimented with the options, but curious what others are using.
post #33486 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@glangford: Well its true. If you watch in a room with the light on for example you wont notice it at all I suppose. So its fine for many no doubt about it. But they still destroyed the blacks and that cant happen. If I were to watch in a room with the light on I might as well get an LCD. I wanted the OLED for the real black which is particularly enjoyable in a really dark room. And then the glowing black is certainly noticeable. As was (I cant speak for myself ofc) the DV bug apparently.

No LG update then no Oppo for me That would be a big disappointment. But cant be helped thx to LG Right now I wish there was a DV fix for the Oppo without having to install a 5.* firmware for the B6 But I suppose that train has departed.

@blackie333: I thought exactly the same If they have a HDR10 to DV conversion then maybe HDR10+ to DV in the future?! Would be nice.
post #33487 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
@glangford: Well its true. If you watch in a room with the light on for example you wont notice it at all I suppose. So its fine for many no doubt about it. But they still destroyed the blacks and that cant happen. If I were to watch in a room with the light on I might as well get an LCD. I wanted the OLED for the real black which is particularly enjoyable in a really dark room. And then the glowing black is certainly noticeable. As was (I cant speak for myself ofc) the DV bug apparently.

No LG update then no Oppo for me That would be a big disappointment. But cant be helped thx to LG Right now I wish there was a DV fix for the Oppo without having to install a 5.* firmware for the B6 But I suppose that train has departed.

@blackie333: I thought exactly the same If they have a HDR10 to DV conversion then maybe HDR10+ to DV in the future?! Would be nice.
Well you can't get an Oppo now anyway except by maybe donating a kidney. But the Oppo has no affect on black levels of the B6, certaintly since the DV fix in last Oppo firmware. Looks fantastic!
giomania, pjm877, galonzo and 1 others like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #33488 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Well you can't get an Oppo now anyway except by maybe donating a kidney. But the Oppo has no affect on black levels of the B6, certaintly since the DV fix in last Oppo firmware. Looks fantastic!
What the heck, you only need one kidney. Go for it!
giomania, galonzo, MBullen and 1 others like this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #33489 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Perhaps a stupid question .. but I'll go for it anyway.

I currently have the 203 but curious how much better the panasonic ub820 would look. But, the oppo really works well for my situation in keeping cable-runs to the minimum. I have the oppo near the projector (so short PremiumCertified Cable) with a long el-cheapo cable run to an older Amp (used for audio only). I have a Nvidia Shield to the Oppo's HDMI in.

Just suppose I hooked up a UB820 (or if I wait long-enough UB420) to the HDMI in of the OPPO .. with the UB820 doing to tone-mapping. What settings would be used on the OPPO so it passed this through to the projector unaffected?

Not saying I would do this .. and pretty kludgy just to save another cheap long cable run to the amp (as could put the panasonic next to oppo and use 2nd HDMI input on the projector)... but curious anyway.

anyone?
post #33490 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Its been about 10 months since I purchased my JVC RS-420 and Oppo 203. Loved all 300 hours of video games, movies, and internet browsing.

Recently I watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, a Dolby Vision Disc. It looked ok, but the colors were dull. What are my options going forward with Dolby Vision movies on projector?

I own RS 420 and Oppo 203. I want colors not to luck dull. Ridding of the projector is not an option for me.

Thank you in advanced.
post #33491 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeigh07 View Post
Its been about 10 months since I purchased my JVC RS-420 and Oppo 203. Loved all 300 hours of video games, movies, and internet browsing.

Recently I watched Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, a Dolby Vision Disc. It looked ok, but the colors were dull. What are my options going forward with Dolby Vision movies on projector?

I own RS 420 and Oppo 203. I want colors not to luck dull. Ridding of the projector is not an option for me.

Thank you in advanced.
No projector does Dolby Vision.. You can either install custom curves on the project which is what I do or have oppo do the tone mapping.. I forgot how to set up the projector so that oppo does the tone mapping perhaps someone here can help you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #33492 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
No projector does Dolby Vision.. You can either install custom curves on the project which is what I do or have oppo do the tone mapping.. I forgot how to set up the projector so that oppo does the tone mapping perhaps someone here can help you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Use HDR OFF BT709 on the 203

Set the projector with best HD 709 setup
Color Profile = Reference (standard for a little brighter image)
Color Temp = 6500k
Gamma = Custom 2.4
(move lower to bring out more shadow detail without raising black floor )
(A, B & C also work well and B will look a little darker than 2.4)

Master Contrast and Brightness - Leave set as calibrated for HD SDR content.

JVC DLA-X990 (RS640) - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Panasonic UB820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #33493 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Annoying DV pop up in latest firmware

I’ve updated the Oppo to the latest firmware, and upon playing DV content, I get now an additional DV pop up on the top left of my LG OLED E7 along side w the top right DV flag from the TV. I assume the top left is from the Oppo, any way to disable that pop up?
post #33494 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 12690 Post(s)
Liked: 11939
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsonr View Post
Perhaps a stupid question .. but I'll go for it anyway.

I currently have the 203 but curious how much better the panasonic ub820 would look. But, the oppo really works well for my situation in keeping cable-runs to the minimum. I have the oppo near the projector (so short PremiumCertified Cable) with a long el-cheapo cable run to an older Amp (used for audio only). I have a Nvidia Shield to the Oppo's HDMI in.

Just suppose I hooked up a UB820 (or if I wait long-enough UB420) to the HDMI in of the OPPO .. with the UB820 doing to tone-mapping. What settings would be used on the OPPO so it passed this through to the projector unaffected?

Not saying I would do this .. and pretty kludgy just to save another cheap long cable run to the amp (as could put the panasonic next to oppo and use 2nd HDMI input on the projector)... but curious anyway.

anyone?

Interesting. I was curious about this also. The hdmi input makes the oppo nearly priceless since nobody else does it and I've also wondered about the Panasonic. I've heard it's processing is fantastic. Wonder if you can really feed the Panny through the Oppos input? Lol we're getting into crazy person territory but I'd be open to it. I personally love the oppos sharpening ability, especially for my Apple tv I feed through it.
post #33495 of 37253 Old 10-05-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
I’ve updated the Oppo to the latest firmware, and upon playing DV content, I get now an additional DV pop up on the top left of my LG OLED E7 along side w the top right DV flag from the TV. I assume the top left is from the Oppo, any way to disable that pop up?
Nope. It was always there, but you may not see it if handshakes are longer. Thank Dolby for forcing hardware makers to display that.
galonzo and stikle like this.
post #33496 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Nope. It was always there, but you may not see it if handshakes are longer. Thank Dolby for forcing hardware makers to display that.
I am referring to two pop up DV flags when using the new Oppo firmware. I never saw the top left one, which looks to be sent by the Oppo. The top right one that the TV always displayed for any DV content, wether it’s from Oppo, ATV 4K or Netflix TV app was always there.

If that second DV flag was always there but never showed up before, then there must have been a change in the latest firmware to cause that, but regardless I guess no way to remove it?
post #33497 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:19 AM

So there is no way to play Dolby Vision material without gray bars on the Oppo connected to a LG B6 with the 4.* firmware? Oppo itself cant do anything about that is that right? Just making sure here
post #33498 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
So there is no way to play Dolby Vision material without gray bars on the Oppo connected to a LG B6 with the 4.* firmware? Oppo itself cant do anything about that is that right? Just making sure here
What won't you update your B6's firmware?
post #33499 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 05:09 AM

You can read a few posts back because of a black glow bug I am still trying to avoid that but it is probably impossible. Having no DV bug with the older TV firmware would be perfect.
post #33500 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 05:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8319
Quote:
Correct. It’s a bug in the TV’s firmware for handling Dolby Vision received over HDMI.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #33501 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
I am referring to two pop up DV flags when using the new Oppo firmware. I never saw the top left one, which looks to be sent by the Oppo. The top right one that the TV always displayed for any DV content, wether it’s from Oppo, ATV 4K or Netflix TV app was always there.

If that second DV flag was always there but never showed up before, then there must have been a change in the latest firmware to cause that, but regardless I guess no way to remove it?
It’s always been there. What’s likely changed is the HDMI handshake in the TV, so that the TV is coming out of video Mute faster — i.e., before the DV tag put up briefly by the player has timed out.
—Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #33502 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Odds are you've got your TV set incorrectly.

Switching to RGB-PC Level output from the OPPO *WILL* change the black levels, but it will also mess up the image you are getting, so that's not the correct solution. You should set your TV so you get correct results from the OPPO when the OPPO is set to YCbCr output.

The most likely culprit here is you have your TV set to expect "Black" will be sent from the player with the numeric value 0 instead of the normal (for Home Theater use) 16. Look for a setting (in the TV!) related to Black Levels which offers only TWO choices -- not some sort of slider or numeric setting with multiple choices -- and try switching the TV to the other of those two choices.

For more on what's going on, see my Blog post here:

--Bob
Thanks very much for your feedback, Bob. While I did not find a 0 vs 16 switch problem, I do believe that the TV is "the culprit". I play several sources through my 205: Disc Media, Movies from my NAS Drive, XBOX One, etc. I discovered that when the TV is set to Auto, some of the calibration settings were getting changed. For example:

* Watch UHD - Calibrate
* Watch DVD - Black level changed
* Watch XBOX - Black level changed, live color off
* Watch NAS drive movies - Black level changed

Presumably this is due to each of the auto modes, even though they are all feeding the Sony via the same HDMI connection. I also found that although every reviewer calibrated the set at the default setting of 50, I need to drop mine down to 38. My home theatre is pitch black.

In any case, when the black level of the TV is put back down to 38, I get glorious blacks.
post #33503 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
It’s always been there. What’s likely changed is the HDMI handshake in the TV, so that the TV is coming out of video Mute faster — i.e., before the DV tag put up briefly by the player has timed out.
—Bob
The TV firmware hasn’t changed, only the OPPO firmware, however that may be coincidental w my TV (OLED65E7P) dying... maybe as the LG was in that process, it was acting very erratic, and maybe somehow it impacted the HDMI handshake...

However, for the few months I had my LG and OPPO, I never saw that second DV flag when using the Oppo, so even before now, I must have had something in my setup that prevented the 2nd flag from ever showing up.
post #33504 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hey - I just upp'd from 203 and got into a 205.
While browsing for details on the DAC filters I came across this site with perhaps the best description I've seen.
Enjoy

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/0...-1-output.html
post #33505 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Hey - I just upp'd from 203 and got into a 205.
While browsing for details on the DAC filters I came across this site with perhaps the best description I've seen.
Enjoy

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/0...-1-output.html
So I guess OPPO is still getting a few 205’s in. I’ll bet it’s a long list of lucky people they have to go through to figure who gets the last few players. Honestly I’m surprised they didn’t just put them on eBay and sell them for 2k each.

Clark
post #33506 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I saw 7 quick messsges here and thought it was a firmware update.

#stillhopingfortonemappingfix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living Room NAD M17 / NAD M27 / Martin Logan 60XT (LR) 50XT (C) / Def Tech LCR 6.5 (Surrounds) / SVS SBUltra 13+ / Sony A1 OLED
post #33507 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:16 PM

Is it recommended to use the Dolby Vision conversion even for 1080p material?
post #33508 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:

I don’t use it at all. It’s nice I guess for some content. I personally wasn’t happy with the results.
galonzo likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #33509 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:49 PM

I'm guessing all HDR10 material is worth converting to Dolby Vision though?!
post #33510 of 37253 Old 10-06-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I don’t use it at all. It’s nice I guess for some content. I personally wasn’t happy with the results.
Haven't tried it yet, probably will hold off until I'm bored and want to try something new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page