Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34651 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,716
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
wondering if anyone can help me out, I have the hardware external add-on in the back for the all region access. I havent tested all, but I have quite a few region b blu rays that work fine. However, when I tried playing State of Grace (UK BD Region B) I get the screen that says it must be a region b player in order to play. I take it out then put another region b locked blu ray and it works.
I have version: UDP20X-60-0625
thanks
Not all discs claiming to be locked to R-B are actually locked.
Anyway, did you do the magic dance to make the player R-B? If its the same device as mine:

1) Go to playback setup and turn "auto resume" to off.
2) For R-B, press Dimmer - Dimmer - Dimmer - Mute - 2. (This must be completed in 20 sec.)
oldsteve and skads_187 like this.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34652 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Boofster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Have you had any luck fixing this? I contacted Oppo and the first thing they suggested was to reboot the Apple TV after I got the black screen. That didn’t change anything for me, so I’m waiting to hear back from them again.
Seems like there are a few of us with this issue. I am still not sure if anyone has this working and if so, what are they doing different.

My emails with support ended at "we're working it".

Someone also mentioned the ATV4K is using something called DOLBY-MAT transport (?) which I'm guessing was not accounted for by Oppo. I asked what device they used to make the update as I thought the ATV4K was the only one using DV. Apparently the Amazon Fire TV 4K dongle does it as well. I ordered one to play with so we'll see.

There was also an issue uncovered with the HDMI-CEC option which keeps turning off the bypass device so you should turn that off for now.
Boofster is offline  
post #34653 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Why doesn't HDR10+ show up in the video output options or does it only show up in the Oppo setup menu if you have a TV that will output HDR10+ ?
yobbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34654 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobbo View Post
Why doesn't HDR10+ show up in the video output options or does it only show up in the Oppo setup menu if you have a TV that will output HDR10+ ?
The tv has to be HDR10+ capable.
yobbo likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #34655 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
Seems like there are a few of us with this issue. I am still not sure if anyone has this working and if so, what are they doing different.

My emails with support ended at "we're working it".

Someone also mentioned the ATV4K is using something called DOLBY-MAT transport (?) which I'm guessing was not accounted for by Oppo. I asked what device they used to make the update as I thought the ATV4K was the only one using DV. Apparently the Amazon Fire TV 4K dongle does it as well. I ordered one to play with so we'll see.

There was also an issue uncovered with the HDMI-CEC option which keeps turning off the bypass device so you should turn that off for now.
It is Dolby Atmos that is sent via PCM MAT 2.0 and the Xbox uses this method as well for Atmos. Most devices use a bitstream of DD+ or TrueHD with the Atmos layer but the method Apple and Microsoft use is a PCM container with the object layer metadata on top.
galonzo likes this.
mutelight is online now  
post #34656 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Boofster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It is Dolby Atmos that is sent via PCM MAT 2.0 and the Xbox uses this method as well for Atmos. Most devices use a bitstream of DD+ or TrueHD with the Atmos layer but the method Apple and Microsoft use is a PCM container with the object layer metadata on top.
I couldn't find info on the Fire TV 4K transport method and it's not in the specs.
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...fications.html

But I'm still confused why would they base it on the exception device. I mean the ATV4K and XBOX no doubt represent a much larger market share than the Fire TV 4K. Unless it was much easier to implement it that way...
Boofster is offline  
post #34657 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,716
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
It is Dolby Atmos that is sent via PCM MAT 2.0 and the Xbox uses this method as well for Atmos. Most devices use a bitstream of DD+ or TrueHD with the Atmos layer but the method Apple and Microsoft use is a PCM container with the object layer metadata on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
I couldn't find info on the Fire TV 4K transport method and it's not in the specs.
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...fications.html

But I'm still confused why would they base it on the exception device. I mean the ATV4K and XBOX no doubt represent a much larger market share than the Fire TV 4K. Unless it was much easier to implement it that way...
The Apple and Xbox are using the same stream for Atmos as anything else, but they do not support bitstreaming and must decode to LPCM. The MAT PCM format accommodates that restriction and passes the Atmos sprinkles. The other devices are simply bitstreaming the DD+ that the content owner has provided without decoding.
galonzo likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #34658 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
I couldn't find info on the Fire TV 4K transport method and it's not in the specs.
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fi...fications.html

But I'm still confused why would they base it on the exception device. I mean the ATV4K and XBOX no doubt represent a much larger market share than the Fire TV 4K. Unless it was much easier to implement it that way...
I will admit I didn't dig around too long but it looks like the Fire TV 4K may be decoding the stream internally and passing PCM as well.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...661#pid2675661

So that would make three devices that use that method.

That developer site you linked just indicates the formats it is capable of decoding.
mutelight is online now  
post #34659 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
skads_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Erase Persistent Storage in the OPPO and try that disc again. If the disc ever produced that error (perhaps because you had the mod set to a different region), then Resume Play on the disc may cause it to restart showing that same error message. I.e., it isn't even doing the check, but just going straight to the error message since that was where it was playing when you last stopped it. This is a programming error found on a number of discs, but you can't really blame the studio programmers since players aren't SUPPOSED to be able to change Regions. So what you need to do is get rid of the Resume Point so the disc plays from the beginning again.
--Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Not all discs claiming to be locked to R-B are actually locked.
Anyway, did you do the magic dance to make the player R-B? If its the same device as mine:

1) Go to playback setup and turn "auto resume" to off.
2) For R-B, press Dimmer - Dimmer - Dimmer - Mute - 2. (This must be completed in 20 sec.)
Yup! that was it, thanks for both of you help! once I turned auto resume off, it worked! thanks
Bob Pariseau likes this.
skads_187 is offline  
post #34660 of 37224 Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post

But I'm still confused why would they base it on the exception device. I mean the ATV4K and XBOX no doubt represent a much larger market share than the Fire TV 4K. Unless it was much easier to implement it that way...
The Oppo 203 was released at the end of 2016. Its HDMI input supported bitstreamed Atmos at release. I was able to pass bitstreamed TrueHD Atmos from my Samsung K8500 through the Oppo HDMI input to my AVR when I purchased my first Oppo in January 2017.

The XBox added Atmos in April 2017. The ATV4K added Atmos in 2018. How was Oppo supposed to know in 2016 that Microsoft and Apple would choose to send Atmos in a format that no other player used?

Even some Pioneer and Yamaha AVRs were unable to process the Atmos format from the ATV, with Apple telling owners that their AVRs might need a firmware update.

Oppo announced the end of production in April 2018. Apple did not provide a beta firmware with Atmos until August, months after Oppo announced the end.

If Apple had included Atmos when the ATV4K was first released, when Oppo was still making players, Oppo might have been open to determining if support for Dolby MAT Atmos could be added.
gsr, htwaits, Bittermidget and 7 others like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-04-2019 at 11:31 PM.
claw is offline  
post #34661 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,716
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I will admit I didn't dig around too long but it looks like the Fire TV 4K may be decoding the stream internally and passing PCM as well.
.
No, it does not.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #34662 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I will admit I didn't dig around too long but it looks like the Fire TV 4K may be decoding the stream internally and passing PCM as well.
.
No, it does not.
Guess it just does for the people in that thread using that app but I’m definitely no expert and have no desire for one so I’ll leave it to you. 🙂
mutelight is online now  
post #34663 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankum View Post
Any help ?



thanks
Bootcamp is your friend. I gave up searching for a modifier tool recently and just ran the tool in Windows.
Bytehoven likes this.
FredsElbow is offline  
post #34664 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,523
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsElbow View Post
Bootcamp is your friend. I gave up searching for a modifier tool recently and just ran the tool in Windows.
Also check out Bootchamp whi h provides for very quick switching in and of osx and windows.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #34665 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
Seems like there are a few of us with this issue. I am still not sure if anyone has this working and if so, what are they doing different.

My emails with support ended at "we're working it".

Someone also mentioned the ATV4K is using something called DOLBY-MAT transport (?) which I'm guessing was not accounted for by Oppo. I asked what device they used to make the update as I thought the ATV4K was the only one using DV. Apparently the Amazon Fire TV 4K dongle does it as well. I ordered one to play with so we'll see.

There was also an issue uncovered with the HDMI-CEC option which keeps turning off the bypass device so you should turn that off for now.
Dolby Vision works in my setup via the HDMI after the update. Nothing special needed to be done. ATV4K plus Oppo 203 plus TCL 55P605 and tested cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F372C0E-EEF2-4F0B-B6F5-14A1C40DBB00.png
Views:	72
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	2506254  
robo24 likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
bguzman is offline  
post #34666 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
Seems like there are a few of us with this issue. I am still not sure if anyone has this working and if so, what are they doing different.

My emails with support ended at "we're working it".

Someone also mentioned the ATV4K is using something called DOLBY-MAT transport (?) which I'm guessing was not accounted for by Oppo. I asked what device they used to make the update as I thought the ATV4K was the only one using DV. Apparently the Amazon Fire TV 4K dongle does it as well. I ordered one to play with so we'll see.

There was also an issue uncovered with the HDMI-CEC option which keeps turning off the bypass device so you should turn that off for now.
Dolby MAT is only output from the ATV if the Atmos setting is turned on. Turn off Atmos in the ATV menu and Dolby MAT is not used for audio output, and the Oppo is able to process the audio. Dolby MAT has nothing to do with with the Dolby Vision issue you are experiencing.
RichB, bguzman, galonzo and 1 others like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #34667 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazytrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does this update help with the occasional Dolby Vision hiccups that occur during menu navigation? My LG periodically loses video signal, even though sound is present. Most recent example, Venom (when the movie finishes). Worst offender The Last Jedi.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Crazytrekker is offline  
post #34668 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
Does this update help with the occasional Dolby Vision hiccups that occur during menu navigation? My LG periodically loses video signal, even though sound is present. Most recent example, Venom (when the movie finishes). Worst offender The Last Jedi.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I get that all the time with any Dolby Vision Movies on my LG E6 which is connected to a Marantz 8805 and then from the 8805 to the Oppo 203. I was wondering also if that is ever going to get fixed. I do not think anything is effected by it and it is more of just an annoyance.
Crazytrekker likes this.
Dave-T is offline  
post #34669 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
Does this update help with the occasional Dolby Vision hiccups that occur during menu navigation? My LG periodically loses video signal, even though sound is present. Most recent example, Venom (when the movie finishes). Worst offender The Last Jedi.
I have not seen this issue with my B7A. I will watch Last Jedi again when I get a chance. Oppo > Denon x4200w updated for Dolby Vision support > B7A

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #34670 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazytrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I have not seen this issue with my B7A. I will watch Last Jedi again when I get a chance. Oppo > Denon x4200w updated for Dolby Vision support > B7A
Mine is via a Denon 4200 as well (using the twin HDMI outs from the Oppo even though mu Denon is also updated)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 01-05-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Crazytrekker is offline  
post #34671 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
FWIW so far, the passthrough isn't allowing Atmos via Dolby MAT with the ATV4K (the same type of Atmos the XBONE uses for Netflix, not sure about how it handles Atmos from disks).
This is too bad. I was hoping for by-pass to include PCM MAT as well.

I wonder what the limitation is.
galonzo likes this.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
ntxoa is offline  
post #34672 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gankum View Post
Thanks for the tip, but no luck. Compiled the c code into a binary using gcc and ran against the index_bdmv , per instruction. Oppo now either starts loading and hangs on clicking on the AVCHD folder..or reports 'unable to play media format. please make sure disc is inserted on the correct side ..etc' . Tried against few movies, same behaviour.

Does anyone on MAC have success with playing full-disk backups of BD disks from USB drives with 203 (or 103)?
Sorry to hear this as I wrote that. But I play the files over NFS from a Linux machine.
artur9 is offline  
post #34673 of 37224 Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
To test out ATV4K Dolby Vision, I moved my ATV4K from my projector room and connected it to my Oppo 203 that was connected to a Denon x4200w to an LG B7A OLED.

First attempts at passing Dolby Vision through the Oppo HDMI input all failed. Routing the Oppo HDMI output through the Denon, or directly to the LG both failed. I would see the Dolby Vision logo light up on my LG, but only a black picture was displayed.

I finally connected the Oppo directly to my LG OLED and ran an HDMI cable from the Oppo audio out to my Denon. After restarting all devices; ATV4K, Oppo, and Denon, I was able to get Netflix Dolby Vision from the ATV through my Oppo and audio to my Denon.

It would appear to me that there must be something about the ATV4K audio that is sent with Dolby Vision content that causes the Oppo to fail to pass through the Dolby Vision picture plus audio out the Video HDMI output. It does seem to be able to pass Dolby Vision and audio separately via the Video and Audio HDMI outputs.

A couple of additional data points:
- There is no issue sending ATV4K audio with HDR10 content through my Oppo HDMI input to my Denon and LG.
- There is no issue sending Oppo UHD disc playback Dolby Vision plus audio through my Denon AVR to my LG.


I have no need for this setup and will return my ATV4K to my projector room where it sends HDR10.
galonzo and Greg TB like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-05-2019 at 09:56 PM.
claw is offline  
post #34674 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
To test out ATV4K Dolby Vision, I moved my ATV4K from my projector room and connected it to my Oppo 203 that was connected to a Denon x4200w to an LG B7A OLED.

First attempts at passing Dolby Vision through the Oppo HDMI input all failed. Routing the Oppo HDMI output through the Denon, or directly to the LG both failed. I would see the Dolby Vision logo light up on my LG, but only a black picture was displayed.

I finally connected the Oppo directly to my LG OLED and ran an HDMI cable from the Oppo audio out to my Denon. After restarting all devices; ATV4K, Oppo, and Denon, I was able to get Netflix Dolby Vision from the ATV through my Oppo and audio to my Denon.

It would appear to me that there must be something about the ATV4K audio that is sent with Dolby Vision content that causes the Oppo to fail to pass through the Dolby Vision picture plus audio out the Video HDMI output. It does seem to be able to pass Dolby Vision and audio separately via the Video and Audio HDMI outputs.

A couple of additional data points:
- There is no issue sending ATV4K audio with HDR10 content through my Oppo HDMI input to my Denon and LG.
- There is no issue sending Oppo UHD disc playback Dolby Vision plus audio through my Denon AVR to my LG.


I have no need for this setup and will return my ATV4K to my projector room where it sends HDR10.
Have you updated to the current beta firmware with DV passthrough on the 203? DV passthrough on the HDMI input was just enabled with this beta
tommyknocker2121 is offline  
post #34675 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,
First my equipment:
Panasonic TH-85X940A TV
Yamaha RX-A 3060 sound processor.
OPO UPD-203 (AU)

The Panasonic TV has REC 2020, but the default is REC 709. The only way to get REC 2020 is input a video recorded with REC 2020 or HDR. Soon that video or movie starts playing, the default REC 709 change automatically to REC 2020. I couldn’t find any setting to change it manually.

Now with the problem:
The setting I use to play HDR10 movies is on video setting=> HDR setting I set as forced, Dolby Vision as “Player-led”. Resolution as UHD Auto with Colour Space YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit Colour Depth. On “Device Setup”=> HDMI IN Specs I set as “UHD HDR”.
Wit the last official firmware realised from OPPO (UDP20XAU-60-0625), I play without any problem any movie with HDR10. Movies with Dolby Vision was playing with HDR output. With picture and colour the quality was perfect from my point of view.
Few days ago, I installed the UDP20XAU-64-1221B (Beta) firmware (Australia region). I did the factory reset and reboot the system. Reset my settings as I have them before the update.

After finish, I play a movie with HDR10 = Perfect. Then I play another with Dolby Vision and play… WITHOUT HDR. The INF shows playing with Format as SDR, BT 709, YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit colour. But… WHERE IS HDR…?. With the Beta firmware, OPPO took away HDR from Dolby Vision movies and replace it with a Standard Definition.
That is the only problem: No HDR from movies that have Dolby Vision and HDR.
Another question; where is the HDR10+ setting? I couldn’t find it.
Thank you.
Mr.Eddy is offline  
post #34676 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 02:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eddy View Post
Hi all,
First my equipment:
Panasonic TH-85X940A TV
Yamaha RX-A 3060 sound processor.
OPO UPD-203 (AU)

The Panasonic TV has REC 2020, but the default is REC 709. The only way to get REC 2020 is input a video recorded with REC 2020 or HDR. Soon that video or movie starts playing, the default REC 709 change automatically to REC 2020. I couldn’t find any setting to change it manually.

Now with the problem:
The setting I use to play HDR10 movies is on video setting=> HDR setting I set as forced, Dolby Vision as “Player-led”. Resolution as UHD Auto with Colour Space YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit Colour Depth. On “Device Setup”=> HDMI IN Specs I set as “UHD HDR”.
Wit the last official firmware realised from OPPO (UDP20XAU-60-0625), I play without any problem any movie with HDR10. Movies with Dolby Vision was playing with HDR output. With picture and colour the quality was perfect from my point of view.
Few days ago, I installed the UDP20XAU-64-1221B (Beta) firmware (Australia region). I did the factory reset and reboot the system. Reset my settings as I have them before the update.

After finish, I play a movie with HDR10 = Perfect. Then I play another with Dolby Vision and play… WITHOUT HDR. The INF shows playing with Format as SDR, BT 709, YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit colour. But… WHERE IS HDR…?. With the Beta firmware, OPPO took away HDR from Dolby Vision movies and replace it with a Standard Definition.
That is the only problem: No HDR from movies that have Dolby Vision and HDR.
Another question; where is the HDR10+ setting? I couldn’t find it.
Thank you.
As you don't have a Dolby Vision capable TV, what should happen is that when you play a DV disc it should revert to the HDR10 layer instead. If you have any Dolby Vision options enabled in the player, turn them off.

I believe that your scenario can also result from an incorrect HDMI / HDCP handshake, which forces the player output to drop to 1080P/60Hz. Can you check that your output is still 4K in this scenario? Hold down the info button on the 203 to get the extended menu, then go down the list to the output format.

Also, just check that you have actually put the UHD disc into the player and not the Blu-ray... You wouldn't be the first to do this!
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
steverobertsbbc is offline  
post #34677 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
SkyCyberguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eddy View Post
Hi all,
First my equipment:
Panasonic TH-85X940A TV
Yamaha RX-A 3060 sound processor.
OPO UPD-203 (AU)

The Panasonic TV has REC 2020, but the default is REC 709. The only way to get REC 2020 is input a video recorded with REC 2020 or HDR. Soon that video or movie starts playing, the default REC 709 change automatically to REC 2020. I couldn’t find any setting to change it manually.

Now with the problem:
The setting I use to play HDR10 movies is on video setting=> HDR setting I set as forced, Dolby Vision as “Player-led”. Resolution as UHD Auto with Colour Space YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit Colour Depth. On “Device Setup”=> HDMI IN Specs I set as “UHD HDR”.
Wit the last official firmware realised from OPPO (UDP20XAU-60-0625), I play without any problem any movie with HDR10. Movies with Dolby Vision was playing with HDR output. With picture and colour the quality was perfect from my point of view.
Few days ago, I installed the UDP20XAU-64-1221B (Beta) firmware (Australia region). I did the factory reset and reboot the system. Reset my settings as I have them before the update.

After finish, I play a movie with HDR10 = Perfect. Then I play another with Dolby Vision and play… WITHOUT HDR. The INF shows playing with Format as SDR, BT 709, YCbCr 4:4:4 and 12-bit colour. But… WHERE IS HDR…?. With the Beta firmware, OPPO took away HDR from Dolby Vision movies and replace it with a Standard Definition.
That is the only problem: No HDR from movies that have Dolby Vision and HDR.
Another question; where is the HDR10+ setting? I couldn’t find it.
Thank you.
Something about the Dolby Vision Engine seems pretty messed up with the latest beta.
While most people report no issues, some do indeed experience problems starting from issues like yours, going forward with flashing/green/pixelated video output, up to (like myself) no video on some SDR displays (and superimposes like "This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2").
Everything was fine with the last firmware.
I already reported to Oppo CS, so let's hope they'll fix it soon.

Greets
SkyCyberguy

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
SkyCyberguy is offline  
post #34678 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 03:37 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I have seen tinges of magenta in a couple of scenes of Ant Man and The Wasp UHD (playing to a 1080P display), best shown in the picture attached. 21m26s

Can someone with UHD display confirm it is not in the source material?

I can’t understand how the HDR to SDR, or 2020 to 709, or the downscaling could cause this. Anyone else seen it on their 1080p display?

Else I may need to check a few more things in my chain...

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB6C363B-166A-473B-BD51-3F1A4A828973.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	2506582  
galonzo likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #34679 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
@wl1 , I actually just watched this Friday night on my 203, and I remember that scene looking good in HDR; I will pop it back in and give that scene a more critical viewing...
wl1 likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Scarface and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #34680 of 37224 Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,950
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyknocker2121 View Post
Have you updated to the current beta firmware with DV passthrough on the 203? DV passthrough on the HDMI input was just enabled with this beta
Duh. How else get I get Dolby Vision passed through?

Oppo with single HDMI cable output: No Picture on LG from Dolby Vision passed through from ATV4K. Dolby Vision Logo lights up on LG so it is getting a signal, just no picture.

Oppo with dual Video + Audio HDMI cable output: Dolby Vision passed through OK to LG.

With the ATV4K connected directly to my Denon AVR, Dolby Vision is passed through OK.

I only performed this test because others reported issues with Dolby Vision pass through from an ATV4K. I don't need it.
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-06-2019 at 07:39 AM.
claw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off