Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes

post #34711 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
It's possible that it was a special beta download link just for you and the firmware version was not incremented so it just looks like the same version...

That’s what it was, and what’s better is that Dolby Vision works on my HDMI input now.
gsr, Craig Mecak, G-Rex and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34712 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
My latest update is Oppo wrote back to me after getting my log file on Friday.
It's possible to extract log files? How can we do that?
post #34713 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSelf View Post
It's possible to extract log files? How can we do that?

To create a log file:
1. Format a small USB thumbdrive using FAT16 or FAT32. NTFS is not supported.
2. Connect the USB thumbdrive into the USB port.
3. Go into the Setup Menu of the player then press “7896” in quick succession. Press SETUP to exit the Setup Menu.
4. Try to replicate the issue with the player.
5. Repeat the “Setup”->”7896” sequence again to leave the log saving mode.
6. Unplug the USB thumbdrive and insert it into your computer. You should see a “log.txt” file stored on the USB thumbdrive.
Bytehoven likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34714 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So uh, anyone notice their UDP-203 scuffing the top label of Blu-ray discs? Small but present, in a perfect circle close to the center hub of the disc (maybe a 1/2 inch from the center?) - not the entire circle scuffed, but a few points here and there along where the circle would be.

This actually makes UDP-203 #2 doing this for me. The first one I bought close to the initial release did this obviously to 3 discs in a week, and I returned it to Amazon. I figured it was just a one-off error since I hadn't seen anyone else talking about it, and the next unit I bought did not noticeably do this. Until today, when I took a disc out and noticed the faint but telltale scuffs.

I'm not doing anything stupid like moving the unit while it has a disc in it. The worst that happens movement-wise is someone slams a door or walks past the shelf briskly... I do have a habit of leaving discs in awhile (overnight often, sometimes multiple days if I forget about it) so I imagine I'm increasing my odds of problems if there is something that can scuff discs, but there shouldn't be something that can scuff discs to begin with...
post #34715 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
To create a log file:
3. Go into the Setup Menu of the player then press “7896” in quick succession. Press SETUP to exit the Setup Menu.
6. Unplug the USB thumbdrive and insert it into your computer. You should see a “log.txt” file stored on the USB thumbdrive.
Wow. I don't know if there's something I forgot to read somewhere, but I'm definitely keeping this. Thanks a bunch!
post #34716 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post
So uh, anyone notice their UDP-203 scuffing the top label of Blu-ray discs? Small but present, in a perfect circle close to the center hub of the disc (maybe a 1/2 inch from the center?) - not the entire circle scuffed, but a few points here and there along where the circle would be.

This actually makes UDP-203 #2 doing this for me. The first one I bought close to the initial release did this obviously to 3 discs in a week, and I returned it to Amazon. I figured it was just a one-off error since I hadn't seen anyone else talking about it, and the next unit I bought did not noticeably do this. Until today, when I took a disc out and noticed the faint but telltale scuffs.

I'm not doing anything stupid like moving the unit while it has a disc in it. The worst that happens movement-wise is someone slams a door or walks past the shelf briskly... I do have a habit of leaving discs in awhile (overnight often, sometimes multiple days if I forget about it) so I imagine I'm increasing my odds of problems if there is something that can scuff discs, but there shouldn't be something that can scuff discs to begin with...
Contact OPPO support using the email link on their site page for your model player.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #34717 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

I checked several UHD discs as well as blu-ray discs and no scratches at all. I leave my discs in the player until i am ready to watch a different one - sometimes days later. Saves wear and tear on the drawer opening and closing.

Have you checked if the stand your player on is level ?

TV:Sony 65A1E Blu ray: Oppo-203 Oppo-103 Speakers: Bose Soundtouch 300 Bose Acoustimass 300

Last edited by Mdjones9137; 01-07-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #34718 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I also use a manual entry process for my WiFi, and have not had the problem you report using this Beta.

It is normal for the Reset to switch back to Ethernet, but your prior WiFi settings should be preserved for easy switch back to WiFi after that.

Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they can help you sort this out. You can use the Email Us link on their Support page for the player.
—Bob
Bob, This didn't start with this beta. This happened before when I attempted to re-install the previous official firmware and manually restore the settings after a reset to default at your suggestion (in response to the considerable difference in A/V sync that I continue to experience vs. the BDP-103).

I've tested it again repeatedly and found that if I switch back to Wireless (from Ethernet) after the reset I am given the Scan, Manual, and WPS options, rather than the "Your previous wireless settings have been found. Do you want to use them or start with new settings?" pop-up message. If I go to Scan, I do see my hidden network SSID listed as if it had been remembered, but it shows up four times in the list, once with a dot next to it, the other three without. If I select it, I still have to enter my password.

Is this what you're experiencing, or are you getting the "Your previous wireless settings have been found. Do you want to use them or start with new settings?" pop-up message after you switch back to Wireless following a reset to defaults?

Thanks!
post #34719 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
To create a log file:
When Oppo gave me the directions for creating a log file, they said nothing about attempting to replicate the issues I was having. Instead they gave me the following instructions:

Quote:
4. Disconnect the HDMI cable and playback a SACD.
5. Reconnect the HDMI cable and confirm that the player goes back to the HOME MENU.
This didn't replicate the issues I was (and still am) having, and the player does not automatically go back to the HOME MENU when you reconnect the HDMI cable while playing back an SACD (nor would I expect it to). I received no response when I asked for clarification of these steps, and omission of any replication of the error during the time that the log file was being captured. I'm wondering now if capturing and sending my log file was a waste of time.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #34720 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
That’s what it was, and what’s better is that Dolby Vision works on my HDMI input now.
I got the new file too and yes, it was odd that the version was the same and the player asked if I want to re-apply the update. Dolby Vision seems to work on my AppleTV4K now yay! Atmos is not being detected but I don't have an Atmos device on the output so I'll wire that up and test it later.
post #34721 of 37224 Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post
Another OPPO 203 in Australia.
The player is awesome but there is a few things I've discovered that I'd like to discuss and maybe problem solve.

The OPPO is being used with an older 1080 projector (formerly a BenQ W6000 and now a JVC X3). This was not a problem until the FW update that added Dolby Vision.

Notice the green strip on the left of the 2nd SONY Tri-Star image. This happened after the FW shown in my image.

Anyone else using a 1080p projector get this?

The solution is to turn on the Dolby Vision.
This creates a few good things and some not so good things.

On the positive side, prior to DV, I had to have 3 calibrated settings. Now it seems that it levels the playing field and I seem to get away with just one.

Unfortunately, the 21:9 support is disabled as is the user controls and 24fps is gone. The output seems to be 1080/60p.

I seem to have set the slide to 1000nits (not sure why I did this) but it does not seem to affect DV, just HDR-10.

I have been told that the player only outputs rec709. When I tested out a BenQ W1700, I got pretty much P3 colour and it was over 100nits and HDR worked fine.

On the BenQ W6000, I only got Rec709, but I did get blacks all the way to 0 using both DV and HDR converters.
The JVC seems to extend the red and blue to P3 but green is closer to 709.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
If you load the latest beta this removes the green line issue.
post #34722 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg TB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsElbow View Post
My apologies if this has been answered.

Am I correct in saying the Audio out HDMI of the Oppo does not in anyway interfere with the Video out HDMI? In the sense that Audio out will be via 1080p - it won't limit the Video out HDMI to 1080p?

Thank you for any advice!
I use both HDMI outs on my 205 because I have unique HDR and Dolby Vision settings on my OLED for disks. All my other other sources' video pass through my Denon receiver and therefor the video adjustments in the OLED effect all those devices equally. The setup works perfectly, but when the Oppo detects both HDMI outputs active it stops all audio to the Video HDMI output, only Video passes through. Just thought I'd make that comment because its an easy point to forget.
Yes bloody annoying and basically make the jitter free audio only mode useless as you can get audio only. Or you can get video only. But not both unless you bypass your amp and route video to your TV. Have tried various combinations onb the amp to select audio from one hdmi and route video from another and no dice
post #34723 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post
If you load the latest beta this removes the green line issue.
Thanks. What else does it add or take away? Don't think I have used betas before.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #34724 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
A French user on HCFR tried the UHD blu-ray (not MKV) "Bad Times at the EL Royale" on this Oppo 203 with the beta firmware connected to a Philips 65OLED903 TV.

They both are supposed to support HDR10+ but there is no way to check it. The Philips TV doesn't display any information and a long press on the 'info' button of the Oppo's remote only displays "HDR format: BDMV HDR" like for HDR10.

We are waiting for the Oppo tech support feedback to know how HDR10+ is supposed to be displayed.
post #34725 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSelf View Post
Is there a way to revert, if we want to? According to the doc, we cannot, but I'm not that faimiliar with the Oppo way, yet .
As noted by Oppo, firmware upgrades are a one way street....you cannot go back. That's why its always recommended that if you depend on your device to work correctly then wait until the final release before updating. Oppo would note if its possible to revert to earlier versions.

OLED65C7P - Denon AVR S920W - Oppo 205 - Apple TV 4K - Bowers & Wilkins 804, HTM2, 805 - SVS PB2000
post #34726 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
A French user on HCFR tried the UHD blu-ray (not MKV) "Bad Times at the EL Royale" on this Oppo 203 with the beta firmware connected to a Philips 65OLED903 TV.

They both are supposed to support HDR10+ but there is no way to check it. The Philips TV doesn't display any information and a long press on the 'info' button of the Oppo's remote only displays "HDR format: BDMV HDR" like for HDR10.

We are waiting for the Oppo tech support feedback to know how HDR10+ is supposed to be displayed.
I have EU version of the Oppo beta firmware and my Panasonic FZ800 indicates HDR10+ when I push "info" on the TV remote.
If I do a long press on info button on Oppo remote I do get BDMV HDR10+ both on mediainfo and output to TV.
galonzo and lebellium like this.
post #34727 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforum2 View Post
I have EU version of the Oppo beta firmware and my Panasonic FZ800 indicates HDR10+ when I push "info" on the TV remote.
If I do a long press on info button on Oppo remote I do get BDMV HDR10+ both on mediainfo and output to TV.
Thanks for the confirmation!
If not too much asked, could you take and share a pic of your TV displaying the Oppo info and Pana HDR10+ banner at the same time?
galonzo likes this.
post #34728 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Piracy discussion is not permitted at AVS. All related posts removed.
AVfile likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #34729 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello, guys.
Thinking about buying an Oppo 203, for the HDMI passthrough function.

I want to connect my Apple TV 4k, and use sdr2020 instead of hdr2020.

There were a lot of discussion about the Oppo Tone mapping ..
The Oppo tone mapping had big problems with highlights....even when using very high nit values...it clipped .

Is it fixed?
or I should forget about Oppo 203 )?
post #34730 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Thanks for the confirmation!
If not too much asked, could you take and share a pic of your TV displaying the Oppo info and Pana HDR10+ banner at the same time?
Pana logo disappear real fast so 2 pictures, sorry for the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2507720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	1498
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2507722  
galonzo, DanBa, mc_avs and 1 others like this.
post #34731 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Awesome, thank you!
post #34732 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Folks, I am trying to get to play Tidal bit-perfect with MQA using the UDP-203. The UDP-203 has the latest firmware UDP20X-60-0625. I have an older BDP-103D in another room which has Tidal built in but it does not fit in my current 4K setup. I tried looking through this long thread and there appears to be a solution with Roon but I don't have clear direction on this. Can someone point me to the correct post or guide me on how to get this setup? Been away from the forums for a long time and just last night found out what happened to Oppo. Very sad.
Thanks!

Last edited by jmcomp124; 01-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #34733 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post
Folks, I am trying to get to play Tidal bit-perfect with MQA using the UDP-203. The UDP-203 has the latest firmware UDP20X-60-0625. I have an older BDP-103D in another room which has Tidal built in but it does not fit in my current 4K setup. I tried looking through this long thread and there appears to be a solution with Roon but I don't have clear direction on this. Can someone point me to the correct post or guide me on how to get this setup? Been away from the forums for a long time and just last night found out what happened to Oppo. Very sad.
Thanks!
205 does MQA into the USB DAC input or from network or usb or disc.

203 and dare I say it, the 103 does not. Those will get the core near CD quality. For those you're better off picking the non-MQA streams so you get the full bits assigned to the lossless stream your DAC can process. If you pick MQA stream some of those bits are assigned to a lossy component that add resolution to a DAC that can process it... but that removes bits from the stream if the DAC can't
AVfile likes this.
post #34734 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
205 does MQA into the USB DAC input or from network or usb or disc.

203 and dare I say it, the 103 does not. Those will get the core near CD quality. For those you're better off picking the non-MQA streams so you get the full bits assigned to the lossless stream your DAC can process. If you pick MQA stream some of those bits are assigned to a lossy component that add resolution to a DAC that can process it... but that removes bits from the stream if the DAC can't
Thanks Chris. The DAC in this case is a Marantz 8801. The 203 bitstreams to the 8801 via HDMI. My goal is to play TIDAL in MQA or Hifi quality and to get it to bit perfect. If the 8801 can't handle MQA, I am wondering if I can make the 203 decode it by setting the HDMI Audio out format in the 203 to LPCM or Auto. My question is how do I get TIDAL to play through the 203. Do I need Roon do do this?
Thanks!
post #34735 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Roon can do the first MQA unfold.

Neil
post #34736 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question about case warping. I noticed this when I got my 203 but just thought the feet were probably off. If I put it on some isolation blocks today and it appears that the case is warped. See the rocking in the video. It is still under warranty of course. But my question...is this something I should be concerned about? I appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9q0c3uo3i1...%20PM.mov?dl=0
post #34737 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by aili View Post
Hello, guys.
Thinking about buying an Oppo 203, for the HDMI passthrough function.

I want to connect my Apple TV 4k, and use sdr2020 instead of hdr2020.

There were a lot of discussion about the Oppo Tone mapping ..
The Oppo tone mapping had big problems with highlights....even when using very high nit values...it clipped .

Is it fixed?
or I should forget about Oppo 203 )?
What display are you connecting to?
Pre the last FW (and the green stripe), I could see out past 4000 nits on the pattern. Now it seems to clip at 1000nits.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #34738 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post
Thanks!
What are you using to decode/unfold MQA? I have both a 103D and a 203. The 103D will not do MQA and the 203 has no apps. Perhaps I’m not fully understanding your question.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #34739 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
What are you using to decode/unfold MQA? I have both a 103D and a 203. The 103D will not do MQA and the 203 has no apps. Perhaps I’m not fully understanding your question.
Here is the use case I am thinking of.
203 connected to the Marantz 8801 to Lexicon Amp to main speaker system. 8801 is audyssey pro calibrated.
I want to play Tidal music through 203. Yes, the 203 has no apps. But looks like there is workaround with Roon. As I understand Roon can be installed on a desktop in your local subnet. It will then discover the Oppo as an end point. Then you can play Tidal music for example from your Android phone.
Where would MQA be upacked? I don't know. That is why I am asking. I am wondering if the Roon core will help unpack it and then the 203 does the decode and sends LPCM to the marantz or bitstream to the marantz for it to decode.
Does it make sense?
There is very likely a lapse in my understanding as I just came to know about Roon and MQA last night.
Thanks!
post #34740 of 37224 Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
Roon can do the first MQA unfold.

Neil
Thanks Neil. If Roon can do the MQA unfold, what is the format that would be streamed to the Oppo that Roon discovers?
I am also curious what protocol does Roon use? DLNA, UPnP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page