Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279163Likes

post #34771 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Both my OPPO players (BDP-93 & UDP-203) have lost IR contact with our Harmony Elite Hub after some house cleaning and reorganization. Both OPPOs respond to their respective controllers.

I'm using a Harmony Elite and it's hub to control all my home entertainment equipment. I have a small room on the other side of a living room wall where the TV is hung. All the other gear is in an open rack that stands beside my computer desk. Until I got my foot tangled up in it's wire I had a mini blaster going from the Hub through the wall to the TV. A new mini blaster will be here today.

The rack holds the cable box, a Roku 3, Roku Ultra, a four to one HDMI switch on the first shelf.

At the moment the next shelf just has the Hub and a power strip for all the transformers.

The third shelf has an OPPO 93 and an OPPO 203.

The fourth shelf has the AVR.

The fifth shelf doesn't have anything that's Harmony controlled. There is nothing on the very top shelf either.

Before I broke the wire to the TV mini blaster, the Hub got IR signals to everything in the rack without needing any special care about location. Now it's getting IR signals to every component but the two OPPO players on shelf three. I've tried moving the Hub to that shelf without a response, and I've just added a mini blaster to that shelf about four inches from the IR receivers in the OPPO players without a response.

A mystery, that's what I've gotten from taking this opportunity to clean house.

Is there anything about disconnecting the OPPO players from power that could put them in a non IR receiving state?
Check to make sure the Oppo's are set to the correct IR receiver. They have both front panel and rear panel receivers that you can choose in setup.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34772 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Check to make sure the Oppo's are set to the correct IR receiver. They have both front panel and rear panel receivers that you can choose in setup.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would that setup choice default to "back receiver" after a power cycle?

I'll check it now.

The IR Sensor for the OPPO 203 is set to Front. I'm assuming that the 93 still has the same setting because their respective remotes still work on both players.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #34773 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Is there anything about disconnecting the OPPO players from power that could put them in a state where they respond to their own controllers but not to the Harmony?

I can't think of anything else to test.
Yes. All Oppo player, by design, will respond to all remote codes after a power cut. After the initial power on/off, they will again respond only to the specific code set you have them set to. ie: Code 1, Code 2, Code 3.

Harmony remotes must also be set to use the correct code set for each Oppo, but that shouldn't change after a power cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34774 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Both my OPPO players (BDP-93 & UDP-203) have lost IR contact with our Harmony Elite Hub after some house cleaning and reorganization. Both OPPOs respond to their respective controllers.

I'm using a Harmony Elite and it's hub to control all my home entertainment equipment. I have a small room on the other side of a living room wall where the TV is hung. All the other gear is in an open rack that stands beside my computer desk. Until I got my foot tangled up in it's wire I had a mini blaster going from the Hub through the wall to the TV. A new mini blaster will be here today.

The rack holds the cable box, a Roku 3, Roku Ultra, a four to one HDMI switch on the first shelf.

At the moment the next shelf just has the Hub and a power strip for all the transformers.

The third shelf has an OPPO 93 and an OPPO 203.

The fourth shelf has the AVR.

The fifth shelf doesn't have anything that's Harmony controlled. There is nothing on the very top shelf either.

Before I broke the wire to the TV mini blaster, the Hub got IR signals to all components in the rack without needing any special care about the Hub location. That's been true since I added the OPPO 203 to the rack.

Now the Hub is getting IR signals to every component but the two OPPO players on shelf three. I've tried moving the Hub to the OPPO shelf without a response from the players, and then I switched to a mini blaster on the OPPO shelf. The mini blaster is located about four inches from the IR receivers in the OPPO players. There is still no response to commands from the Hub.

Is there anything about disconnecting the OPPO players from power that could put them in a state where they respond to their own controllers but not to the Harmony?

I can't think of anything else to test.
Manually push the power button to turn it on and off at the player itself, then the remote should work... This happens to me whenever I'd lost power.
post #34775 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
Manually push the power button to turn it on and off at the player itself, then the remote should work... This happens to me whenever I'd lost power.
I'll be putting the OPPO players back in the rack now. I will make sure that both of them have the power button cycle. Thanks for the information.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #34776 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Yes. All Oppo player, by design, will respond to all remote codes after a power cut. After the initial power on/off, they will again respond only to the specific code set you have them set to. ie: Code 1, Code 2, Code 3.

Harmony remotes must also be set to use the correct code set for each Oppo, but that shouldn't change after a power cut.
Thanks @rdgrimes When I got the 203 I switched it to Code 2 and have used it that way for several months with the Elite controller. I did see them both responding to a remote "on" at one point. I'll keep that in mind as I reconnect everything. Thanks for the help.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 01-12-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #34777 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
It looks like a combination of not manually turning off power with each player's power button and in the case of the 203 sitting on top of the 93 there seems to be a Hub dead spot in that new location. We're back in operation for a birthday party for one of our sons this evening. I also feel empowered to go on reorganizing my wiring mess.

Thanks for the help from everybody who pitched in.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #34778 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Are there updates on the Oppo Tone processing vs. custom curves on JVC projectors? Did curves improved so much that HDR processing should be done on JVC, my older RS-420 X570 JVC seems does not like Shield's HDR.
post #34779 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Cinavia will not be ignored in in media files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Discussed many times here, so a thread search works.
Cinavia is ignored in media files, ie: MKV or M2TS.
Cinavia triggers in full disc rips. (BDMV folder)
post #34780 of 37238 Old 01-12-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Are there updates on the Oppo Tone processing
Its never going to eventuate i'm afraid.
alebonau likes this.
post #34781 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Cinavia will not be ignored in in media files.
maybe in M2TS files which I never use but, in my experience, with MKV I never had any problem. They play flawlessly.
post #34782 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hello
how do you connect your prjectors to oppo ? via oppo hdmi or via amplituner ?
Do you see any difference in picture quality when connecting via oppo hdmi ?

anyone done linear power supply upgrade in oppo 203 ? I am seriously thinking on doing such upgrade.
I read there is a chance to have audio performance upgraded. I wonder what about picture performance (you can read such info from some manufacturers of linear power supplies)
Any first hand experience would be welcome.

Video room: JVC X7900, Denon AVR-X4300H + PMA-1500AE; Oppo UDP-203, Adeo 113" Prestige LED, Apple TV4K;Harmony Elite + Alexa; PS4 Pro; Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Dali Z5,Z1, Phantom, Alteco, Sub E-12F; zone 2: LG OLED 65 C8, LG UP970, Xbox 1S.
Audio room: Pioneer SX-N30, PD-10, Jamo C97, Akai BT500 Net/PC: HP Omen 880-180nw, 28"UE570 UHD, QNAP 670 Pro i7, UPS CP900LCD, RT-AC87U merlin.
post #34783 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFlyy View Post
Hello
how do you connect your prjectors to oppo ? via oppo hdmi or via amplituner ?
Do you see any difference in picture quality when connecting via oppo hdmi ?

anyone done linear power supply upgrade in oppo 203 ? I am seriously thinking on doing such upgrade.
I read there is a chance to have audio performance upgraded. I wonder what about picture performance (you can read such info from some manufacturers of linear power supplies)
Any first hand experience would be welcome.
I looked into this at one time after a poster here had done it. If you google (SMPS vs LPS audio) you'll find hits that suggest that it's not that big an upgrade and one from benchmark which suggests that SMPS is actually superior. That may be a stretch. So having convinced myself that maybe it's not that big an audio upgrade, I looked further.

One of the advantages of SMPS is it's more energy efficient, which means less of a heat load to the device internally. The 203 was not designed with a LPS and hence, not designed to dissipate the extra heat generated. So for me worrying about making my no longer manufactured player last as long as possible, I decided against this. One of the main EEE part components you worry about is electrolytic caps. Their lifetime is basically a function of heat load recieved. So changing a SMPS to a LPS, and putting more heat into a unit not designed to dissipate that extra heat, is in effect going to lower the lifetime of you player. By a lot, who knows? But given I"ll never be able to buy another oppo replacement, I won't reduce the lifetime anymore than necessary.

The 203 is an excellent player. I use both digital (HDMI) to a receiver, and analog two channel out to a headphone amplifier. It sounds fantastic, and doesn't need any power supply upgrade. Save your money, and don't reduce the expected lifetime of your player.
gsr, ppasteur, jamoke and 5 others like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #34784 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
The issue here is whether the UDP-203 can output an uninterrupted Dolby TrueHD bitstream over HDMI when encountering a seamless branch transition. The BDP-103 (predecessor of the UDP-203) was supposed to have been able to, but it does not, at least in some circumstances. I have only tried the UDP-203 with one known seamless branching disc, that being "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" Director's Cut BD. The 203's handling of this disc is far superior to that of the BDP-103 in this regard. The UDP-203 is able to play the Director's Cut option of the movie from beginning to end (which involves the branch transitions) without any apparent interruption of the Dolby TrueHD bitstream. However when scanning through the disc to play back particular scenes, it still sometimes experiences a brief interruption at the branch transition points. This results in a very brief muting or dropout of audio.

If these brief audio mutes or dropouts are encountered, the workaround is to select LPCM for audio output over HDMI, allowing the UDP-203 to make the bitstream to LPCM conversion. The problem with doing this on an Atmos track is that the Atmos metadata is lost and the result is traditional Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio (since neither the 103 nor 203, nor any other player I'm aware of, can internally decode and output Atmos via LPCM).

I'm not sure why the Dolby TrueHD bitstream over HDMI is particularly susceptible to interruptions during seamless branch transitions while a DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream is not, and why the players' internal bitstream decoding is not affected. I submitted this issue regarding the BPD-103 to Oppo approximately 2 years ago. Oppo confirmed the issue on one of the discs I was experiencing it with. In April 2018 I was told Oppo had been attempting to get assistance from Dolby in updating the firmware to address the issue.

If there is a player that outputs Dolby TrueHD bitstream (and Atmos) over HDMI from these seamless branching discs without any interruption, I'd like to find it. The UDP-203 so far seems to be almost there. I'll have to try it with my two known issue discs again now that I'm on the new beta firmware. I have found the combination of known seamless branching with Dolby TrueHD audio to be extremely rare, although I have been told there are some titles that use seamless branching for copy protection rather than its intended purpose of incorporating alternate scenes when there are multiple versions of the same program (such as theatrical and director's cuts of the same movie).
I have that same problem with Star Trek II - except mine nearly always drops out during the "What about Reliant? She's on her way" scene. I had a similar problem with it on my older Panasonic player. Its fine when outputting by PCM.

I gather the disc may have some mastering issues. It doesnt appear to happen with any other branching titles. It would be nice if Oppo could find a fix for it.

Oh, apart from The Martian 4K, which it totally flips out and crashes over (another common experience with this disc I believe).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 01-13-2019 at 05:52 AM.
post #34785 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
Oh, apart from The Martian 4K, which it totally flips out and crashes over (another common experience with this disc I believe).

Do you have a time code for this "flip out"? I've watched it a couple of times since release and don't recall any issues.
galonzo and Greg TB like this.

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
post #34786 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11314 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Sorry, search was unkind to me. Can anyone point to an explanation of the “HDR to SDR” setting, which has values from Mode 1 to Mode 4? Is there a recommended setting (currently Mode 1)?

And now that I have a display that has a fairly high output level (Sony 75Z9F), is there a recommended setting for Target Luminance (currently set to 300)? Or is it purely personal reference.

Thanks in advance for considering my basic questions.
post #34787 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, search was unkind to me. Can anyone point to an explanation of the “HDR to SDR” setting, which has values from Mode 1 to Mode 4? Is there a recommended setting (currently Mode 1)?

And now that I have a display that has a fairly high output level (Sony 75Z9F), is there a recommended setting for Target Luminance (currently set to 300)? Or is it purely personal reference.

Thanks in advance for considering my basic questions.
That's a direct view panel with HDR, right? You don't need to worry about the HDR->SDR settings, or target luminance. With HDR = On (or Auto) those settings are ignored. You get the native HDR goodness as is.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #34788 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11314 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That's a direct view panel with HDR, right? You don't need to worry about the HDR->SDR settings, or target luminance. With HDR = On (or Auto) those settings are ignored. You get the native HDR goodness as is.

-Bill
Thanks for the quick response, Bill, and that is indeed welcome information. I always prefer Auto settings and not having to worry about these things. The Z9F is a LCD/LED flat panel with HDR and DV, capable of ~2,000 nits output. I keep a pair of dark glasses handy for the bright scenes!
post #34789 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post
Folks, I am trying to get to play Tidal bit-perfect with MQA using the UDP-203. The UDP-203 has the latest firmware UDP20X-60-0625. I have an older BDP-103D in another room which has Tidal built in but it does not fit in my current 4K setup. I tried looking through this long thread and there appears to be a solution with Roon but I don't have clear direction on this. Can someone point me to the correct post or guide me on how to get this setup? Been away from the forums for a long time and just last night found out what happened to Oppo. Very sad.

Thanks!

Using Roon either the 203 or the 205 appears as an endpoint to which you can stream 2-channel music via the Ethernet connection. (Note that this is limited to 2-channel music. There are other ways to listen to multichannel music.) The audio will output through the analog, USB, or HDMI connection. There is nothing to set up in the Oppo. The player just appears as an endpoint.

The 205 will decode MQA audio using the USB input. There are lots of ways to send audio to the USB input. Some of them support MQA and Tidal. Roon can do it via a USB connection.

The 203 does not decode MQA, but Roon itself will do the first "unfolding" of MQA, from 48 kHz to 96 kHz. This is arguably the most important part. You set this up inside of the Roon app used to control Roon, in the device setup section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RichB likes this.

Steve Goff

Last edited by Steve Goff; 01-13-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #34790 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg TB View Post
Yes, I sit corrected. It is indeed a Roon endpoint. However, it cannot perform any of the MQA decoding, and its only the 205 that has the excellent DAC AND does full MQA decoding which is coveted by users. The 203, which I have also, is an excellent transport and player in the digital arena. Only the digital arena.

I use exclusively Tidal with Roon....and the 205 works flawlessly.

While the 203 cannot decode MQA, when it is used as a Roon endpoint Roon itself will do the first MQA unfolding, which is the most important part of the decoding. The rest is just upsampling using a specified filter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Goff
post #34791 of 37238 Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
Using Roon either the 203 or the 205 appears as an endpoint to which you can stream 2-channel music via the Ethernet connection.
It works over wi-fi, too.
post #34792 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
It works over wi-fi, too.

Yes. I tend to forget WiFi because I don’t use it in my AV systems unless I have to.

Steve Goff
post #34793 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Can you bypass HLG HDR yet through hdmi in?
I asked OPPO support this same question - bottom line is they haven't tested it, but I get the impression they think it might - if it's really a pure pass thru after all. I can't test it yet - current TV doesn't support it - but would be interested if anyone else could test HLG pass thru. This is the HDR format that Sky will be using in Europe when they add it later this year and the format BBC has used in their few broadcasts.
galonzo likes this.
post #34794 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post
I asked OPPO support this same question - bottom line is they haven't tested it, but I get the impression they think it might - if it's really a pure pass thru after all. I can't test it yet - current TV doesn't support it - but would be interested if anyone else could test HLG pass thru. This is the HDR format that Sky will be using in Europe when they add it later this year and the format BBC has used in their few broadcasts.

I was never able to successfully pass Directv 4K60 4:2:0 BT2020 10-bit HLG through the Oppo HDMI input. I wanted to have the Oppo upscale the 720p and 1080i non-HLG channels to 4K. I gave up and haven't tried with the latest Oppo beta firmware. I don't expect the result would be any different.

It might be worth another try with HDMI IN Bypass instead of HDMI IN. I am canceling Directv within the next couple of days so I might not get a chance.
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-14-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #34795 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I was never able to successfully pass Directv 4K60 4:2:0 BT2020 10-bit HLG through the Oppo HDMI input. I wanted to have the Oppo upscale the 720p and 1080i non-HLG channels to 4K. I gave up and haven't tried with the latest Oppo beta firmware. I don't expect the result would be any different.

It might be worth another try with HDMI IN Bypass instead of HDMI IN. I am canceling Directv within the next couple of days so I might not get a chance.
Yes, I'm hoping that the Bypass setting will make the difference. Be very interested in the result if you got a chance to test it - as I think OPPO would be as well.
post #34796 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
brighter picture

If I bumped up the contrast in the Oppo 203 would that make the picture out put a little brighter?
I have a Sony 5000ES projector and when playing a 4K UHD Blu ray the picture is a little darker then the standard Blu ray.
post #34797 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
If I bumped up the contrast in the Oppo 203 would that make the picture out put a little brighter?
I have a Sony 5000ES projector and when playing a 4K UHD Blu ray the picture is a little darker then the standard Blu ray.
It could, but only if you have some headroom in your projector setup, to max out to max light output. If youre already at max, increase contrast should start to crush highlights.
post #34798 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi guys, I have 2 issues with my Oppo 203:

1) can I force the Hdr-10 on discs like Ready-Player-One or the last Star-Wars?

Because even if I tried every kind of different set on the Hdr-menu of the Oppo the movies always start automatically in Dolby Vision

2) the Oppo is directly connected to my Sony AF9 and whenever I watch a movie on disc or I play a movie file on Hdd the black level is really high and I have to adjust the Tv black level down of 15-17 steps.

Instead if I play the same movie file on Hdd from the App of the TV or I watch a movie on Netflix the black level is not bad and I need to adjust only 1-2 step on it.

Thanks a lot
post #34799 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
Hi guys, I have 2 issues with my Oppo 203:

1) can I force the Hdr-10 on discs like Ready-Player-One or the last Star-Wars?

Because even if I tried every kind of different set on the Hdr-menu of the Oppo the movies always start automatically in Dolby Vision
See the FAQ: How do I force HDR10 from a Dolby Vision disc?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #34800 of 37238 Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post
Yes, I'm hoping that the Bypass setting will make the difference. Be very interested in the result if you got a chance to test it - as I think OPPO would be as well.
Confirmed that Directv 4K60 4:2:0 BT2020 12-bit HLG is successfully passed through the Oppo HDMI input when HDMI IN Bypass is selected. My LG B7A reports HLG HDR. But HDMI IN Bypass disables any up conversion of 720p/1080i channels.

There must have been a behavior change with HDMI IN in one of the past firmware updates. I had never gotten a picture when I tried sending Directv HLG through the Oppo selecting HDMI IN. Now I get a picture, but SDR instead of HLG: 4K60 4:2:2 BT2020 12-bit SDR. 720p/1080i SDR BT2020 channels are successfully up scaled to 4K60 SDR.

Anyway, good news for those trying to pass HLG but don't need any up or down conversion performed by the Oppo.
peteS and galonzo like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page