Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279152Likes

post #34801 of 37234 Old 01-14-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
OK, after hearing the reports from here on audio dropouts on Star Trek II TWoK, I revisited my copy of the director's cut tonight. Upon my first viewing a couple of years back (Sony BDP-5000ES), I did not recall any dropouts, so I was curious as to whether either of my Oppo players would show these. To put things into context:

1) I keep a custom database of all my titles, and any details or notes I might have from each viewing, including any anomlies (such as audio dropouts), along with the dates they were observed. Yes, I know I have OCD to the nth degree (I prefer the term "collector's psychosis")...

2) Back in 1982, I saw Khan so many times I lost count. Many times, I hid out in the rest room between showings, so that each ticket afforded me two, maybe three, showings. This continued as long as my allowance would support it (which, at 1982 ticket prices, was quite a few viewings). Needless to say that I am totally familiar with the theatrical audio to the point of knowing every sound, dialog timing and inflection. Therefore, the director's additions/modifications stick out like a sore thumb.

I tried the film on both the 103D and 203. I listened intently to both, and I found no dropouts where I would expect one (where the branching would occur). Indeed, the only dropout I heard was on the 103, during the "Genesis" explanation is Kirk's quarters, in the moral debate between Spock and McCoy. It was a split-second dropout in the middle of one of Spock's sentences, almost like a crack in his voice (and not at a branching point). I was also unable to reproduce it on later viewings of the scene...?!? I also tried it back on the 5000ES (which I keep in my rack for CD playback... the DACs are second-to-none) and heard no dropouts there either...

Maybe it's equipment dependent....? Just a guess.... FWIW.
jbrinegar, galonzo and JJ7 like this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 01-14-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34802 of 37234 Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
2) the Oppo is directly connected to my Sony AF9 and whenever I watch a movie on disc or I play a movie file on Hdd the black level is really high and I have to adjust the Tv black level down of 15-17 steps.

Instead if I play the same movie file on Hdd from the App of the TV or I watch a movie on Netflix the black level is not bad and I need to adjust only 1-2 step on it.
Check your HDMI settings on the TV. If there's a setting for the HDMI video range, the 'Limited' one is the correct one for video sources, not 'Full'.

Edit: Just looked online.

In the AF9: Advanced Settings > Video Options > HDMI Video Range = Auto

In the Oppo: Video Output Setup > Colour Space = Auto

That should do the trick, but these are the defaults anyway.
galonzo and naustin like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-15-2019 at 04:47 AM.
post #34803 of 37234 Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It will not.
but is there any software to display hdr10+ characteristics in media file? mediainfo isnt't, as of latest version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34804 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Confirmed that Directv 4K60 4:2:0 BT2020 12-bit HLG is successfully passed through the Oppo HDMI input when HDMI IN Bypass is selected. My LG B7A reports HLG HDR. But HDMI IN Bypass disables any up conversion of 720p/1080i channels.

There must have been a behavior change with HDMI IN in one of the past firmware updates. I had never gotten a picture when I tried sending Directv HLG through the Oppo selecting HDMI IN. Now I get a picture, but SDR instead of HLG: 4K60 4:2:2 BT2020 12-bit SDR. 720p/1080i SDR BT2020 channels are successfully up scaled to 4K60 SDR.

Anyway, good news for those trying to pass HLG but don't need any up or down conversion performed by the Oppo.
Yep - sounds like good news indeed. Many thanks for testing. I guess Bypass really is a pure passthru, so will pass anything (hopefully) but would then not process anything. For me, that's actually fine as I'll need to run a script in my remotes to watch 4K from satellite as our stupid Sky boxes don't have an "output 1080p for HD channel and 2160p for UHD channel". If you select 2160p as your output, the box itself will do (terrible) upscaling for all 1080p channels as well. So, script required to switch to 4K can easily also switch to HDMI Bypass as it's configured as a separate input.
galonzo likes this.
post #34805 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Anyone have issues with subtitles (.srt) when streaming media från pc? Sometimes I have to stop the file and play it again for the subtitle to show. Sometimes I see the text low, with a gigantic font. Turning off and on subtitle when in this mode does not help, still does not show until I restart the file. Also, in some instances the player frontpanel buttons becomes unresponsive (also remote buttons) while media is still being played normally. This seem to happen with a lot of connections at the same time (USB-hdd, Network stream, Disc in tray etc). I am running the latest official firmware.

Anyone experienced issues similar to these?

Last edited by Drem; 01-15-2019 at 01:32 AM.
post #34806 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Not such issue here on the latest official firmware .srt subtitles are always loaded.

Only SUBTITLES related issue for me is I'm unable to set their vertical position so they sit exactly at the bottom of black bar without some letters (y,g,q,j,p,) lower part is cut out...
I'm using a one step bigger font than the default (which is too small for me).
post #34807 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Anyone have issues with subtitles (.srt) when streaming media från pc? Sometimes I have to stop the file and play it again for the subtitle to show. Sometimes I see the text low, with a gigantic font. Turning off and on subtitle when in this mode does not help, still does not show until I restart the file. Also, in some instances the player frontpanel buttons becomes unresponsive (also remote buttons) while media is still being played normally. This seem to happen with a lot of connections at the same time (USB-hdd, Network stream, Disc in tray etc). I am running the latest official firmware.

Anyone experienced issues similar to these?
I have this issue from time to time but with regular discs. Just happened with The Godfather...in a scene where they are speaking Italian and only Italian I had to stop and restart the disc to get the intended English translation of the conversation. Has happened before on other discs. Haven't seen the text low or large font issues.
post #34808 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Check your HDMI settings on the TV. If there's a setting for the HDMI video range, the 'Limited' one is the correct one for video sources, not 'Full'.

Edit: Just looked online.

In the AF9: Advanced Settings > Video Options > HDMI Video Range = Auto

In the Oppo: Video Output Setup > Colour Space = Auto

That should do the trick, but these are the defaults anyway.
Thanks guys

I have already tried all those set to force the Hdr-10 but it start always in Dolby Vision

About the Black Level with the Hdmi video range on "Auto" it turn back to normal, by the way why is the correct set "limited" and not "Full"?
Shouldn't it be Full to have the complete range for hdr?
post #34809 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
Thanks guys

I have already tried all those set to force the Hdr-10 but it start always in Dolby Vision

About the Black Level with the Hdmi video range on "Auto" it turn back to normal, by the way why is the correct set "limited" and not "Full"?
Shouldn't it be Full to have the complete range for hdr?
No, it's nothing to do with HDR, it stems from the broadcast world where we want to allow for over and undershoots without clipping. In 8-bit video terms, black level is defined as 16 and white level is 235, so sometimes this is called 'Limited' (64 and 940 in 10-bit video). These are the levels that are encoded on Blu-ray etc. However, if you wanted to use the TV as a PC monitor, you would need to set to 'Full', as PCs have a black level of 0 and a white level of 255.

Hence if you have a TV expecting Full and you're feeding it Limited, the black will be elevated to dark grey.
galonzo, naustin and Matt2026 like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #34810 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just saw posts elsewhere that there's a beta firmware that allows iso playback. Does anyone know if the latest Beta firmware from December 28th has this built-in? If not, can anyone point me to the older (Australian?) firmware that allows it? I'm on a REALLY old firmware, so I'll definitely be able to load whichever works.

It was such a relief to see unofficial iso support out there. I have SO MANY of my old projects archived as ISO and having to convert those files before playing on the Oppo was frustrating to say the least.
post #34811 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Curious to see evidence of it, my stock 203 with v60 does not play ISO from NAS, all of my kids videos are stored as ISOs so no protected content and it still would not play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post
I just saw posts elsewhere that there's a beta firmware that allows iso playback. Does anyone know if the latest Beta firmware from December 28th has this built-in? If not, can anyone point me to the older (Australian?) firmware that allows it? I'm on a REALLY old firmware, so I'll definitely be able to load whichever works.

It was such a relief to see unofficial iso support out there. I have SO MANY of my old projects archived as ISO and having to convert those files before playing on the Oppo was frustrating to say the least.
post #34812 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 4487
Quote:

Nothing from OPPO has that. If Australia is different, I haven't heard about it.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #34813 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Curious to see evidence of it, my stock 203 with v60 does not play ISO from NAS, all of my kids videos are stored as ISOs so no protected content and it still would not play.
Well, if anything it would have been the v64 beta, but I guess that's not the case?: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-64-1221B.aspx

Quote:
Nothing from OPPO has that. If Australia is different, I haven't heard about it.

-Bill
Too bad. I have the original hack and the tools to do it, I just haven't had the time I was hoping Oppo would leak us a beta or something, seeing as they have nothing to lose - If they're not making products anymore, no one's going to waste time going after them. If I get the Australian firmware, I'll post my results.
post #34814 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm pretty sure post you are referring to was referring to 4k UHD iso files.
post #34815 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaNaix View Post
I'm pretty sure post you are referring to was referring to 4k UHD iso files.
Yeah, you're correct. Damn. Well, I'll post if I ever find a better solution, but the only other thing I have is the older firmware that I've heard is buggy. I guess I'll just flash it and try...then if it gives me trouble, I'll just update to the latest.

I really wish Oppo could throw us a bone on this one. Maybe open-source the firmware or something, now that the products are EOL.
post #34816 of 37234 Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Yeah, you're correct. Damn. Well, I'll post if I ever find a better solution, but the only other thing I have is the older firmware that I've heard is buggy. I guess I'll just flash it and try...then if it gives me trouble, I'll just update to the latest.

I really wish Oppo could throw us a bone on this one. Maybe open-source the firmware or something, now that the products are EOL.
You're confusing Oppo and Mediatek. Oppo has no control over what Mediatek does with firmware in this regard, and MTK has every reason to continue covering their own butt.
galonzo likes this.
post #34817 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
No info on when the latest beta will be official?
post #34818 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You're confusing Oppo and Mediatek. Oppo has no control over what Mediatek does with firmware in this regard, and MTK has every reason to continue covering their own butt.
Oppo and the employees still working for them also have plenty of reasons to cover their butts as well. If Oppo wants to re-enter the market at some future date, it won't go well for them if they release firmware that exposes functionality that isn't allowed. Similarly, the employees might limit future employment opportunities if they do something like this.

AFAIK, there's no firmware from Oppo in any market that allows ISO support on the UDP-20x players. Any firmware that does is coming from a 3rd party and discussion of that type of firmware isn't allowed by AVS.
galonzo likes this.
post #34819 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Discussion of custom firmware that modifies manufacturer firmware, or hacking manufacturer firmware, is not allowed and has never been. No more discussion on this topic.
mc_avs, Maddog56 and FredsElbow like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #34820 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Something like the SuperDisk region free mod is a gray area. It does not modify OPPO's firmware but somehow resets the regions in the optical drive itself.

-Bill
meli likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll

Last edited by teachsac; 01-16-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: quote removed
post #34821 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
Quote:
Something like the SuperDisk region free mod is a gray area. It does not modify OPPO's firmware but somehow resets the regions in the optical drive itself.

-Bill
The superdisc was develop by oppo to meet the laws of Australia and only affects Standard DVD. I know you know this, but others might not . Let's move on from this discussion.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #34822 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Hardware modifications have been around for many years and are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased from 'real' vendors.

The '3rd party' firmwares cost a small fortune and are provided by 'who knows who and where'. Personally, I find it incredible that people hand-over their credit card details to these invisible people. It's little wonder that their info ends-up on the dark web
galonzo and captainbrent like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+

Last edited by teachsac; 01-16-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Deleted post
post #34823 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Moving on from 3rd party firmware grandstanding...

Has anyone had issues with the revised beta firmware?
post #34824 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Thank you, everyone. Easy enough.
So I popped in the Incredibles 2 UHD and I noticed two things.
On the OPPO, there is no HDR / Dolby Vision icon. To be fair, I don't even recall if there was an icon indicator for HDR.

When I check on my TV (Sony 9400e), I also do not see any indicator saying HDR or Dolby Vision (like it normally would when using the internal Netflix app).
Have I got something wrong setup somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
post #34825 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
So I popped in the Incredibles 2 UHD and I noticed two things.
On the OPPO, there is no HDR / Dolby Vision icon. To be fair, I don't even recall if there was an icon indicator for HDR.

When I check on my TV (Sony 9400e), I also do not see any indicator saying HDR or Dolby Vision (like it normally would when using the internal Netflix app).
Have I got something wrong setup somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
It's possible that you have a setting or two wrong, but it's also possible that you loaded the regular Blu-ray and not the 4K UHD disc.
Neil S. Bulk and galonzo like this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #34826 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
It's possible that you have a setting or two wrong, but it's also possible that you loaded the regular Blu-ray and not the 4K UHD disc.
I'm a complete fool. I assumed that the fam would have used the first disc in the case (usually the UHD version). Upon checking - after reading your reply - they used the normal BD instead. And this was the 2nd disc in the case. LOL.
Vader424242 and galonzo like this.
post #34827 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I'm a complete fool. I assumed that the fam would have used the first disc in the case (usually the UHD version). Upon checking - after reading your reply - they used the normal BD instead. And this was the 2nd disc in the case. LOL.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... Of course, I have NEVER done that...
PhantomDriver likes this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #34828 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Everyone has done it at least once. That's why we become compulsive about checking the Extended Info popup when starting the main feature. That will quickly make it clear whether you have UHD or Blu-ray or DVD.

It's like the pilot walking around the plane to make sure the wings are bolted on right side up this time.

-Bill

post #34829 of 37234 Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM

You all sure know how to make me feel a little less of a fool
post #34830 of 37234 Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 4611
Quote:
Nope...NEVER happened to me.

Spoiler!

Last edited by RagtopFE; 01-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page