Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280308Likes

post #34891 of 38646 Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked: 4737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Hmm you mean Closed caption settings? Changing this changes nothing on my subtitles. Regardless orgiginal disc BD / UHD playback or .mkt files. Am I doing something wrong?
It depends on the type of subtitles. Text-based subtitles in media files can be manipulated, but graphical-based subtitles (common on BD and UHD) cannot, apart from shifting them up and down.

Closed Caption controls are another case which no one in the history of the player has ever mentioned in this thread.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34892 of 38646 Old 01-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Does anyone force Dolby Vision for all 4k and regular Blu-ray? Can't find any hard info on the pros and cons, or even what's happening with the conversion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd ignored the new firmware with DV conversion because with my Apple TV 4K I did not get good results initially. I'm just playing with this feature and it has the potential to really affect my collecting strategy (I'll often go for DV digital version on iTunes or Vudu over an HDR disc).

My initial takes (near conclusions) after some testing and perusing of discussion in this thread:
1. YMMV will vary because if lets say your Dolby Vision video setting group on your TV are perfectly calibrated and your SDR setting is not then you could get a great benefit just using the calibrated DV input. The reverse is actually much more likely as DV calibration is a new thing even for the experts.
2. Same logic versus HDR with this. In a sense you're also testing how good your calibration settings are for HDR, SDR, DV, maybe even daytime versus night time viewing.

I'm no calibrator, but have been very avid with my TV about tracking down these best possible settings to the point of even getting some kind of DV calibration file loaded to my TV. My viewing preference has been for DV digital over HDR disc hands down.

I'm quite familiar with Dolby Vision Star Trek and ST Into Darkness on iTunes, but just noticed when perusing my collection in the last week that they are not Atmos, so I got them on HDR disc. Initially very unhappy with the video versus my Apple TV 4K, I quickly discovered that somehow my Oppo video preset 1 had been set back to 0 so my initial bad reaction to the discs was partially do to not having the best settings (DV mode overrides these settings in Oppo). That led me to looking at firmware notes and updating to the latest firmware with DV conversion.

My initial impressions are very, very good. It seems subtle to the untrained eye, but I must say that my first glance I'm very hopeful:
1. The two HDR Star trek discs converted to DV by the Oppo just seemed to erase my concerns about HDR disc vs DV. Everything seemed familiar and very much like the digital version; so much so that I suspect Oppo may be doing the same process that is done for these digital Dolby Vision releases for/by Apple/Vudu.
2. I liked the DV so much I also bought the DV/Atmos version of Star Trek Beyond. Interestingly I used the Beyond HDR disc a lot to tune my Oppo's video presets and some general HDR setting tuning on my TV. I very much liked the DV version of Beyond on iTunes much like the other titles.
3. SDR bluray I like as well and change is very subtle. Its like the DV conversion is tuning like it does for HDR vs Dolby Vision on disc. Again this is very dependent on just how well setup your inputs are and I suspect my DV input of being a touch better than Technicolor HDR on my LG Oled.

I've got an extensive collection of digital Vudu/iTunes and quite a few HDR doubles on disc so believe me I'm going to be going bonkers on this Oppo DV conversion feature because it totally affects my whole collection strategy. I'm also realizing that it may impact my bucket list desire for an HTPC in my system which won't be able to do the DV conversion done by the Oppo. If the Oppo is as strong at HDR to DV conversion as I suspect (similar to digital Vudu version), then this means HTPC playback will be unacceptable for me as the Oppo taking it to DV will always win hands down. I've got a lot of testing to do before I buy any more movies so I should have some more firm conclusions I'll comeback and post. I may also have to fiddle with forcing DV discs to HDR and dig back into my Technicolor HDR settings for tuning or perhaps fresh suggestions on AVSForum.

Really comparing this correctly is a herculean task and it may be why there has not been a lot of technical discussion. I'm pretty sure its unknown what Vudu/iTunes/Dolby do to make DV digital copies versus the disc. Its also unknown what Oppo is doing. My very, very initial hypothesis is that they are the same and if that were the case, then the Oppo Dolby Vision conversion would be a rather amazing feature and not just some questionable gimic.

-The single digits are where the magic lies.....they deliver a 'touch of god' sensation that sometimes makes the hairs on one's arms stand up. It's hard to describe but it feels like you are there in the recording studio with the artist and "feeling" them move as they are playing the instrument. You can't see them, but you can feel them as movements are happening on the floor below you. - trhought
post #34893 of 38646 Old 01-26-2019, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
oh, great.. so I've been doing it wrong? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] I bought the oppo hoping it would be my upconverter for things, especially my 1080p movies on my plex and the 1080p stuff off of netflix, amazon, hulu.

I guess I didn't think about it, but yeah I guess the roku ultra is doing the upconverting.. Hmm, any suggestions? Obviously i need it simple for the family, which is why roku ultra.

Should I go to the lumagen for this then? I thought the oppo203 was in a way a shortcut.
If you configure the Roku to output 4K for everything, a Lumagen isn't going to do anything the Oppo isn't already doing for you. If the Roku can be configured to output everything at the native resolution (so 1080P content is output at 1080P, 4K content is output at 4K, and so on), then you could take advantage of the video processing in either the Oppo or some other video processor.
So then is the hdmi in 1 on the oppo just a bypass if I set the roku ultra a 4k.?if I'm playing a 1080p video on plex thru the ultra is the roku up scaling to 4k, and the oppo is doing nothing?
So basically oppo is doing nothing.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34894 of 38646 Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 2742
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
So then is the hdmi in 1 on the oppo just a bypass if I set the roku ultra a 4k.?if I'm playing a 1080p video on plex thru the ultra is the roku up scaling to 4k, and the oppo is doing nothing?
So basically oppo is doing nothing.?
Basically yes, the Roku has already upscaled to 4K.

But the video settings in the Oppo could make a difference in the output. Source Direct should always output the same as received. But if you set a custom color space or bit depth, the Oppo might in some cases convert 4:4:4 input to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 output for example, or change the bit-depth.
galonzo and naustin like this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti

Last edited by claw; 01-26-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #34895 of 38646 Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
What, Solo doesn't count as the last Star Wars (this one doesn't have DV anyway)

Episode VIII plays fine in 720/60p here, BTW (203's extended info plus my display's on-screen info of the incoming signal):
Attachment 2516042

edit: oh yeah, my display doesn't support DV, but it does support HDR-10; so all DV disks automatically revert to HDR-10. At any rate, here's with HDR=Off(REC.709):
Attachment 2516098
Thanks galonzo!

FYI, it was actually Oppo support that claimed to me that a UHD/4k Disc would only play downconverted in 1080p/60 Hz and not in any other resolution, regardless of the Custom Settings for Video Output on the UDP. Your observation and test proves what I told them, that this is not correct and if one forces the output resolution to SDR and 720p/60 Hz, that is what one gets. After all, the UDP and even BDP are perfectly capable of down converting a 1080p/60 Hz signal to 720p/60 Hz and even converting it to 1080p/24 Hz if that is what one sets the Custom Output to do, so even if there were some restriction on what DV downconversion could produce, seems that the Oppo would be more than capable of taking that 1080p/60 Hz signal and producing these other output resolutions if set to do so.

That still does not solve my issue of why Mission Impossible:Fallout UHD/4K did not play in my setup whereas other DV UHD/4K titles like Star Wars and Atomic Blonde have played just fine, and is what I reported to Oppo that generated the above response and issue.
My panel is an older Pioneer plasma that still works great but only accepts 1080p/24 Hz or 720p/60 Hz or 1080i/60 Hz inputs, not 1080p/60 Hz, but the UDP-203 should be able I would think to handshake with the display and figure out what resolution it accepts and then output it in "Auto" on Video Settings (that is what "Auto" is for, after all) and certainly if I force one of those outputs, like 720p/60 Hz from the UDP-203, it should output that to the display even for DV UHD/4K material, I would think, but that disc isn't working for me and I think it is some type of compatibility issue for newer titles, but have not gotten Oppo yet to admit that the issue is not on my end; your "proof" should help that cause a great deal.
post #34896 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
HDR, HDR10, HDR10+ Dolby Vision ?

Using a Oppo 203 with currant Beta firmware, certified cables.

I own a Sony 5000ES 4k projector which does not show a Dolby Vision picture.
It can project a HDR, HDR10 image. So my question is, what is the difference between:

HDR ?

HDR10 ?

HDR10+ ?

Dolby Vision ?

Can you clearly see a difference?

Presently I'm getting HDR at 444 12 from a 4K Blu-Ray

Last edited by pevco; 01-27-2019 at 02:36 AM.
post #34897 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
So my question is, what is the difference between: HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision?

There will be loads of posts on this, and other forums, about the different types of HDR. I guess you could start here: I don't get the point of HDR

Cheers
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #34898 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 5912 Post(s)
Liked: 8467
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I received the following replies from Oppo.

Again the specific behavior I'm experiencing is: "Restore Factory Defaults" "Erase Settings" results in the "Internet Connection" being reset to "Ethernet" and my wireless settings being lost. I do use a hidden network (SSID). I've tested it again repeatedly and found that if I switch back to Wireless (from Ethernet) after the reset I am given the Scan, Manual, and WPS options, rather than the "Your previous wireless settings have been found. Do you want to use them or start with new settings?" pop-up message. If I go to Scan, I do see my hidden network SSID listed as if it had been remembered, but it shows up four times in the list, once with a dot next to it, the other three without. If I select it, I still have to enter my password. This also occurred with the previous UDP20X-60-0625 firmware.

Again, I do NOT get the "Your previous wireless settings have been found. Do you want to use them or start with new settings?" pop-up message when I switch back to wireless after performing a reset. Instead I get the "Scan, Manual, and WPS” options. If I go to “Manual” I have to type in my SSID and password again. If I go to “Scan” then it does show my hidden SSID listed 4 times (among the other SSIDs in the area), with one of them having a dot next to it. If I select any one of the four listings of my hidden SSID, I still have to manually enter the password.

My Wifi credentials are deleted whether “Erase Settings” or “Erase Accounts and Settings” is selected. The only thing that is retained is the SSID showing in the “Scan” list (rather than being hidden) and for some reason it shows up four times instead of one. Unless I’m missing something my Wifi password is not retained when a reset is performed.

This is the exactly as I described it to Oppo.
OK, OPPO -- and your findings -- are correct and I was wrong. It's been a long time since I tested this extensively. It *USED* to be that the settings saved to USB stick did not record your Wifi password, just as server passwords are not saved. However, at that time Reset did not delete the last used Wifi password, so all was good.

The way things are now is as OPPO described it. The Reset deletes the Wifi password. HOWEVER, settings saved to USB stick now DO record the Wifi password. So if you do a save to USB, Reset, and restore from USB, your Wifi is back working again, which is what confused me into thinking it was still as it had been.

I'm not sure when this changed.

Good catch!
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #34899 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

.... On an unrelated note: Recent experiments go to show that the first 35,000 posts are the toughest!

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #34900 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Watched First Man last night. I paused the movie a couple of times which also made the Universal screensaver show I couldn’t resume play from the Universal screen and had to stop the movie to play again. I forget whether there’s a way to get rid of the Universal screensaver without having to stop the movie to resume play.
post #34901 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Watched First Man last night. I paused the movie a couple of times which also made the Universal screensaver show I couldn’t resume play from the Universal screen and had to stop the movie to play again. I forget whether there’s a way to get rid of the Universal screensaver without having to stop the movie to resume play.
Yep. I use Pop-Up Menu button to dismiss the infamous Universal Screen Saver. (Evidently it is coded as a type of Pop-Up Menu, which would explain why this button works to get rid of it.)

I'm actually surprised you ran into this on a newer, Universal disc. Recent reports have stated they apparently re-wrote their silly screen saver to allow more intuitive ways out of it -- such as hitting Play button.

Congratulations though! Getting stuck in the Universal Screen Saver is a recognized Rite of Passage for Home Theater owners!
--Bob
Tom C, galonzo and kinglm like this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.
post #34902 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

It can project a HDR, HDR10 image. So my question is, what is the difference between:

HDR ?

HDR10 ?

HDR10+ ?

Dolby Vision ?

If the projector does not support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, is this relevant ?

The intention behind HDR10+ and Dolby Vision is to improve on HDR10.

The intention behind HDR10 is to (with a correctly calibrated display) allow the display to use use static reference metadata encapsulated with the source media to accurately display the source media.

HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are different systems developed to take this a step further by incorporating dynamic metadata with the source media to enable the display to control how the material is displayed throughout the movie.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 01-27-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #34903 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Try hitting the center cursor button. I believe it’s the enter button on the Oppo remote. It’s the ok button on my Harmony One. I’m pretty sure that’s what I had to do when watching my Hitchcock box set. Kind of annoying until I figured that out.
AVfile, jeff1967 and galonzo like this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #34904 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked: 4737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Try hitting the center cursor button. I believe it’s the enter button on the Oppo remote. It’s the ok button on my Harmony One. I’m pretty sure that’s what I had to do when watching my Hitchcock box set. Kind of annoying until I figured that out.
It would have killed Universal to let the PLAY button escape their screensaver.

Back at the beginning of time we had this in the BDP-83 FAQ: How do I resume from the screensaver on Universal Studio discs?

Quote:
Try any arrow key, Enter or the Popup Menu. It's not intuitive, but that's how these discs are programmed.
The screensaver may have mutated since then, but those were the keys that used to work. I always use an arrow key.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #34905 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4069 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
^^^
The YELLOW button has always released the Universal Screensaver, and still does.
AVfile, galonzo, kinglm and 2 others like this.
post #34906 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked: 4146
Somewhere there is an old retired Universal employee who laughs every day because his code is still being used to drive people nuts. Well played I say, well played.
Tom C, jeff1967, galonzo and 4 others like this.
post #34907 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The way things are now is as OPPO described it. The Reset deletes the Wifi password. HOWEVER, settings saved to USB stick now DO record the Wifi password. So if you do a save to USB, Reset, and restore from USB, your Wifi is back working again, which is what confused me into thinking it was still as it had been.

I'm not sure when this changed.

Good catch!
--Bob
Thanks Bob! The reason I caught it is because I was following your advice and purposely avoiding restoring the settings from USB following resets, due to the issues I've been having with significantly delayed audio (which isn't helpful AVR, is significantly different than the BDP-103 in an otherwise identical setup, and requires negative A/V sync settings on the UDP-203 to correct) and the brief flashes of video snow during HDMI handshakes (which isn't cable related).
post #34908 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Somewhere there is an old retired Universal employee who laughs every day because his code is still being used to drive people nuts. Well played I say, well played.
Well at least there are work arounds.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #34909 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
.... On an unrelated note: Recent experiments go to show that the first 35,000 posts are the toughest!

--Bob
Bob: You need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express more often

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #34910 of 38646 Old 01-27-2019, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Do you get Dolby Atmos audio with this?

Hey guys,

would a few of you here be kind enough to test this file on your systems and report back if you get correct Dolby Atmos audio with it, please?

https://thedigitaltheater.com/2019/0...uehd-atmos-7-1

On my setup (Oppo UDP-203 with current beta firmware, connected via HDMI1 to my Denon AVC-X8500H) I only get Multichannel 7.1.
The Oppo displays "MLP 7.1" when pressing "info".
It's set to "Auto" audio-wise. When I set it to "Bitstream" I get no audio at all.
The issue only occurs with this file, everything else (including, discs, files and disc-rips via SMB, and so on) works and always worked correctly.

There are, however, people in some facebook home theater groups reporting they're getting correct Atmos audio on their Oppo-Denon or Oppo-Marantz combos.

I already tried converting the file to m2ts, but then I'm getting no audio at all.
Programs like TsMuXeR are failing to import the audio stream and instead displaying an error message.
So something does not seem quite right with the audio track one way or the other.

Reports?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #34911 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I force it for HDR10 movies because it looks better than HDR10 on my E6 OLED. HDR10 will clip on the high end, and converting to DV will fix that issue and the picture looks a lot better. I don't convert SDR to DV. The picture looks off. I can't speak for how converting everything DV looks on LCD.
I don’t have a DV capable display (Panasonic DX902), but am interested if anyone has tried setting HDR to DV on the Oppo for sdr HD Blu-Ray playback ?

Of course this gets then converted to HDR10, so effectively converts sdr to hdr. It doesn’t immediately look off to me. Any impressions ?

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 01-28-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #34912 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
@SkyCyberguy , I'm getting Atmos here; using dual-HDMI output on the 203 (audio to my Denon x4200w)

Edit: I first downloaded the DD+ version, which plays as Atmos fine, however the lossless version is Dolby MAT (and says so in the extended media info display for the 203), which does not output Atmos from the 203 (I'm showing Multi-channel in as well).

Main: XBR-85X950H | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield | PS4 Pro | Roku P+ (4630) | CCU
2nd: XBR-65X950G | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | TiVo Mini | ATV (4thGen)
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Star Wars Saga ('77 - '19) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)

Last edited by galonzo; 01-28-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: additional info
post #34913 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
Hey guys,

would a few of you here be kind enough to test this file on your systems and report back if you get correct Dolby Atmos audio with it, please?

https://thedigitaltheater.com/2019/0...uehd-atmos-7-1

On my setup (Oppo UDP-203 with current beta firmware, connected via HDMI1 to my Denon AVC-X8500H) I only get Multichannel 7.1.
It's set to "Auto" audio-wise. When I set it to "Bitstream" I get no audio at all.
The issue only occurs with this file, everything else (including, discs, files and disc-rips via SMB, and so on) works and always worked correctly.

There are, however, people in some facebook home theater groups reporting they're getting correct Atmos audio on their Oppo-Denon or Oppo-Marantz combos.

I already tried converting the file to m2ts, but then I'm getting no audio at all.
Programs like TsMuXeR are failing to import the audio stream and instead displaying an error message.
So something does not seem quite right with the audio track one way or the other.

Reports?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

I get the full Atmos playback here, lighting up all my speakers (9.1.4) over the same model Denon AVR-X8500H you are using. I streamed it from my PC via the UDP-203.

FTR, I downloaded the lossless Nature's Fury MKV file from the Demo World web site, where I have gotten all of my Atmos demos in the past; IDK whether this aspect will have any bearing on the validity of my experience for your purposes.

Ich hoffe, daß ich Dir damit behilflich sein konnte und schicke dazu einen schönen Gruß aus Atlanta an unsere deutschsprachigen A/V-Mitliebhaber!

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #34914 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 07:25 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
Hey guys,

Reports?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Greets
SkyCyberguy
Quote:
@SkyCyberguy , I'm getting Atmos here; suing dual-HDMI output on the 203 (audio to my Denon x4200w)

Edit: I first downloaded the DD+ version, which plays as Atmos fine, however the lossless version is Dolby MAT (and says so in the extended media info display for the 203), which does not output Atmos from the 203 (I'm showing Multi-channle in as well).
I have downloaded and will check for certain later - but is this not the standard issue of Dolby MAT files will only playback if it is the firt to be played following full boot up? If there is a DD track too - did you try selecting that and then going back to the MAT track.

I'll confirm later.....but it may be much later, so though I would mention it.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #34915 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@wl1 , It was the only track I tried at the time, and it is the only track for the file, so I can also try playing something else first, then the MAT file...

Main: XBR-85X950H | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield | PS4 Pro | Roku P+ (4630) | CCU
post #34916 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
I just went back and did a little more experimentation. I find that I can only play that MKV demo file once. After the first playback, there is no more audio unless I power down the UDP-203 first. It also seems to affect playback of other Atmos and DTS:X demo files (but not Auro-3D for some reason). I also tried playing Nature's Fury on a loop and wound up losing video (!) over my AVR-X8500H with the second iteration. I had to power off the AVR to get video back from any source on the AVR.

I wonder whether the mavens here know where the incompatibility lies with this file.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #34917 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:

HDR ?

HDR10 ?

HDR10+ ?

Dolby Vision ?

Technically, you're not getting any of them because a projector isn't capable of the brightness necessary to actually display HDR.

However, an HDR signal does look better on your projector than non-HDR, just in a different way.

HDR10 is the only one of those your projector accepts. Same for any projector today.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #34918 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
@wl1 , It was the only track I tried at the time, and it is the only track for the file, so I can also try playing something else first, then the MAT file...
I hadn’t seen that clip, so thanks for posting - very impressive demo material.

The file works fine for me ( running latest EU beta) when it’s the first played file. Playing across my network, via SMB (not DLNA).

Repeat showings - no problem.

When I selected another file, playing back DTS-HD MA, then re-tried the Natures Fury, NO audio.

Re-selecting Dolby Digital audio on another file, re-trying Nature’s Fury - audio was fine again. No need to reboot. Hope this helped...

EFIT
Sorry images are upside down....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69CF44B4-E6F0-4892-BE6A-4750E931D878.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2517422   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D070D60-265E-48CF-A4A3-7009891E8421.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	2517424  
galonzo likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.

Last edited by wl1; 01-28-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #34919 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked: 4146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
I don’t have a DV capable display (Panasonic DX902), but am interested if anyone has tried setting HDR to DV on the Oppo for sdr HD Blu-Ray playback ?

Of course this gets then converted to HDR10, so effectively converts sdr to hdr. It doesn’t immediately look off to me. Any impressions ?
Converting SDR to DV does not look that good.
post #34920 of 38646 Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I hadn’t seen that clip, so thanks for posting - very impressive demo material.

The file works fine for me ( running latest EU beta) when it’s the first played file. Playing across my network, via SMB (not DLNA).

Repeat showings - no problem.

When I selected another file, playing back DTS-HD MA, then re-tried the Natures Fury, NO audio.

Re-selecting Dolby Digital audio on another file, re-trying Nature’s Fury - audio was fine again. No need to reboot. Hope this helped...
The file plays fine for me as well, however the OP ( @SkyCyberguy ) stated that he isn't getting Atmos at the AVR (which is also the case for me).

I re-tested, this time playing the DD+ w/ Atmos file first, and I have no problem switching between a DTS-HD MA file and back to the lossless version (MAT; the file always plays fine, but only as Mult-In on the AVR, i.e. PCM).

I'm running the latest NA beta.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page