Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278823Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34951 of 36749 Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,569
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and can help. MY set is a LG 65C7 OLED. I have a BDP-203 that I use for all of my 4K and regular Blu-ray Discs. I have tried a couple of regular DVD's and have not been too impressed with the picture quality. I decide to hook up my BDP-83 figuring that the Anchor Bay chip it has might be an improvement on the upscaling of the BDP-203. The problem I have is my picture is mostly pink along with some green.I've tried playing with the settings on both the tv and disc player but nothing helps. When connected to the internet the BDP-83 says its firmware is up to date.
Ideas? Thanks.

James
Please do not cross-post. Answered in the 83 thread.
Mike_WI likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34952 of 36749 Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Will I notice improvement in picture quality if I install the beta firmware update? I am using the 203 with a HDFury Vertex and JVC RS600. I have stored all of my UHD movies on HDD with MakeMKV and prefer to play them via USB instead of spinning the discs.
I am getting at least 395 nits, probably more, since I have a short throw using a DaLite HP2.8 screen.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
edfowler is offline  
post #34953 of 36749 Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatherom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area, MA
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Will I notice improvement in picture quality if I install the beta firmware update? I am using the 203 with a HDFury Vertex and JVC RS600. I have stored all of my UHD movies on HDD with MakeMKV and prefer to play them via USB instead of spinning the discs.
I am getting at least 395 nits, probably more, since I have a short throw using a DaLite HP2.8 screen.
Side question...in what capacity do you use the Vertex's functionality in your signal chain?


Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Elite Sable 16:9 100", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
fatherom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34954 of 36749 Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seeking resolution of HDMI handshake or other issue

I recently upgraded my Soyrce to a Oppo 203 and processor to Anthem AVM60, projector being JVC DLA X5000. Having connected the source to projector through the Anthem using a 30 ft long Ruipro HDMI cable tested as one of the best, I observe presumably handshake issues. Usually I switch on the projector first, then the Oppo and finally the processor and I always get the Oppo menu on the screen before I insert a disc, DVD or Blu Ray. But occasionally, when the disc starts playing, there is only audio output and the screen shows some random dots or lines, no picture. Two days back, it happened with a DVD disc, I had to switch off and then switch on my system a few times (interestingly, when the problem occurs with no picture but only a few dots or lines, when I press the standby of the JVC to shut it down, it's response does not appear on the screen (usually I get a display asking to press again to confirm) but still shuts down). But still I was getting no picture, so I tried another DVD but the same result, and then a Blu Ray disc which started playing with picture and sound. Afterwards I tried the previous DVDs again, and the played fine.
Yesterday the system played the DVD discs without any problem.
Today again the problem repeated.
I wonder whether it is a HDMI handshake issue or any other, whether I should change to a dual HDMI configuration like Oppo video direct to JVC etc.
Any help / suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.
gcbram is offline  
post #34955 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbram View Post
Any help / suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Good call on the Ruipro for the long cable. So let’s start with the easy stuff first.

Do you have preiumum certified HDMI cables for your shorter connections? If not, try that. (They are inexpensive and plentiful.)

If you have certified cables, have you tried swapping them? Even new cables can go bad, and cables are the easiest and least expensive solution to most handshake problems.

If after verifing the above, you still have issues, then escalate your troubleshooting.
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI
bluechunks is offline  
post #34956 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 05:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Good call on the Ruipro for the long cable. So let’s start with the easy stuff first.

Do you have preiumum certified HDMI cables for your shorter connections? If not, try that. (They are inexpensive and plentiful.)

If you have certified cables, have you tried swapping them? Even new cables can go bad, and cables are the easiest and least expensive solution to most handshake problems.

If after verifing the above, you still have issues, then escalate your troubleshooting.
Thanks. I use an old Wireworld Silver Starlight 6 HDMI cable between the Oppo and Anthem, which I don't believe is a certified cable. It is only 6 ft long. The 30 ft Ruipro connects the Anthem HDMI ARC output to the HDMI1 of the JVC projector.
gcbram is offline  
post #34957 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbram View Post
Thanks. I use an old Wireworld Silver Starlight 6 HDMI cable between the Oppo and Anthem, which I don't believe is a certified cable. It is only 6 ft long. The 30 ft Ruipro connects the Anthem HDMI ARC output to the HDMI1 of the JVC projector.
Yes, try replacing that old 6’ cable first. 4K is high bandwidth and HDCP 2.2 is VERY sensitive (it’s designed to fail).

Also, verify that the Oppo, Anthem, and JVC all have current firmware while you are at it.

EDIT: Without getting into a discussion of cables and price/performance, note that a 6' Premium Certified cable can have a MSRP of less than $5.00(US).
AVfile, galonzo and captainbrent like this.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI

Last edited by bluechunks; 02-01-2019 at 06:09 AM.
bluechunks is offline  
post #34958 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnnytheSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hartford
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
I'm sure the greater range is part of it. I believe what you're referring to may be very much what my Apple TV 4K does when set to convert to HDR or Dolby Vision. I just revisited those settings for a bit and I'm not impressed with the overall result and reverted back to outputing 1080p SDR for my tv to upconvert (ATV4K has frame rate and range match setting so it kicks to HDR or DV and 4K as warranted by the source.)



The Oppo DV conversion is doing much, much more than the ATV4K. When it comes to SDR it appears to be optimizing contrast perhaps even frame by frame using some kind of complex algorithm much like DV does with HDR base layer on a real DV disc. Played Star Trek Motion Picture and loved what it was doing and again just brings out the acting with greater seeming detail and you really can feel the facial expressions. I'm about to throw on Star Wars Attack of the Clones which I'm quite familiar with to see how it does, but ST Motion Picture kept me quite distracted as I just didn't want to stop watching.



I'll just add that on HDR front I'm very pleased with what DV conversion did to the first parts of Alien Covenant and Blade Runner. I've got both of these on Vudu DV and should compare these closely with the Oppo's DV conversion. Right now for HDR discs the Oppo feels like a Dolby Vision magic wand. Back to viewing SW Clones.
So you are enjoying the SDR ->DV conversion for regular Blurays? Do you notice the clipped/blocky whites? That was the one issue I have. My Sony has a dedicated settings mode for DV and unless I drop the Contrast by ten or so the sparkling/blocky/clipped whites in very bright scenes are too distracting. Love the conversion otherwise and it's not too terribly noticeable vs the regular upscale on all other scenes.

Always open for suggestions as I'd like to leave it on so I stop futzing with the settings when I watch a movie (the separate DV mode makes it easy as opposed to switching from Game to Cinema Pro or what have you).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
meles likes this.
JohnnytheSkin is offline  
post #34959 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We need a HDR10+ to DV conversion.
Neil S. Bulk and blackie333 like this.
Sausage is offline  
post #34960 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hello all-i’m Considering getting an Oppo 203, mostly to stream Netflix and Prime from an Apple 4ktv and amazon firestick, through to my YAMAHA 3080 AVR AND Sony OLED. CAn anyone tell me, is the pic or sound improved at all by using the OPPO? Are aspect ratios adjustable with the Oppo, to eliminate black bars? Is upscaling through the Oppo? Any other advantages of using the Oppo? Thanks
Dr Steve is offline  
post #34961 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,569
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Hello all-i’m Considering getting an Oppo 203, mostly to stream Netflix and Prime from an Apple 4ktv and amazon firestick, through to my YAMAHA 3080 AVR AND Sony OLED.
There is no compelling reason for you to do this. You will gain nothing in terms of PQ or AQ, and could introduce potential issues. Your AVR and display are fully capable of handling anything you throw at them.
AVfile, galonzo and captainbrent like this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #34962 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tezster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Hello all-i’m Considering getting an Oppo 203, mostly to stream Netflix and Prime from an Apple 4ktv and amazon firestick, through to my YAMAHA 3080 AVR AND Sony OLED. CAn anyone tell me, is the pic or sound improved at all by using the OPPO? Are aspect ratios adjustable with the Oppo, to eliminate black bars? Is upscaling through the Oppo? Any other advantages of using the Oppo? Thanks
Two things to consider when connecting an ATV to the OPPO's HDMI input:
  • Apple 4K TV outputs a fixed resolution i.e. if it's set to 4K, it will output all content in 4K, upscaling any lower-res content internally, meaning there would be nothing for the OPPO to upscale. While the AT4K currently allows framerate & dynamic range matching, it currently does not support auto resolution-matching.
  • AT4K utilizes Dolby MAT to deliver Atmos, which the OPPO 203 HDMI input does not support i.e. you will get no sound with Atmos soundtracks.
galonzo likes this.
tezster is offline  
post #34963 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,279
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
We need a HDR10+ to DV conversion.
I doubt we will ever see that. However, the HDR10 base layer on the HDR10+ disc converts quite nicely to DV.
captainbrent likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #34964 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Two things to consider when connecting an ATV to the OPPO's HDMI input:
  • Apple 4K TV outputs a fixed resolution i.e. if it's set to 4K, it will output all content in 4K, upscaling any lower-res content internally, meaning there would be nothing for the OPPO to upscale. While the AT4K currently allows framerate & dynamic range matching, it currently does not support auto resolution-matching.
  • AT4K utilizes Dolby MAT to deliver Atmos, which the OPPO 203 HDMI input does not support i.e. you will get no sound with Atmos soundtracks.
Ah, good to know, these are biggies.
Dr Steve is offline  
post #34965 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Side question...in what capacity do you use the Vertex's functionality in your signal chain?
Good question.
I purchased the Vertex when it first came out to bypass Gamma D only. I set the edid to 11 and let it send 4k bt2020 to the rs600. T also upscaled 1080p to 4k so eshift was always engaged. Thats the only thing I used it for.
Just last night I decided to use the Vertex to downscale everything to 1080p and send bt2020 12 bit 444 to hdmi1 for uhd movies. Hdmi 2 input on the rs600 gets 1080p rec709 12bit for all non-hdr 2k movies sending source direct from the Oppo.
I am going to run it like this for a while to see if I prefer letting the Vertex process the 4k signal instead of the JVC. The image is sharper and there seems to be less video noise but Im not sure about that yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
fatherom likes this.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
edfowler is offline  
post #34966 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There is no compelling reason for you to do this. You will gain nothing in terms of PQ or AQ, and could introduce potential issues. Your AVR and display are fully capable of handling anything you throw at them.

Thanks! I see the Oppo has some kind of DV upconversion? Do people think that improves content? I personally love DV, not everyone finds it better than 4k/HDR but I feel it is so. I know DV upconversion is clearly not DV but is it an improvement?
Dr Steve is offline  
post #34967 of 36749 Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
So you are enjoying the SDR ->DV conversion for regular Blurays? Do you notice the clipped/blocky whites? That was the one issue I have. My Sony has a dedicated settings mode for DV and unless I drop the Contrast by ten or so the sparkling/blocky/clipped whites in very bright scenes are too distracting. Love the conversion otherwise and it's not too terribly noticeable vs the regular upscale on all other scenes.

Always open for suggestions as I'd like to leave it on so I stop futzing with the settings when I watch a movie (the separate DV mode makes it easy as opposed to switching from Game to Cinema Pro or what have you).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah I've got the LG Oled which is same screen as Sony Oled, but different processing. I'm not noticing clipped/blocky whites at all.

Total guess, but I'd be combing Sony forums for best possible dolby vision settings. The LG oleds screens are quite consistent. I've never had a calibration, but I've had very good success with the best settings offered in owners thread and calibration thread for my TV.

On my TV the nearly stock Cinema DV settings some times win me over on very vibrant dolby vision titles like Peter Rabbit (itunes or vudu), but for most stuff I like the calibrated to the nth degree neutral settings.

When we're talking HDR vs DV someone posted in here that a Bluray.com viewer said when they forced HDR from a DV disc they only thought the picture lost 2-3% image quality. Friend of my claimed said reviewer had 2016 TCL and so might not be getting as good a dolby vision experience. On my tv the conversion from HDR to SDR sometimes might be subtle enough that you were watching spaceships or a bunch of rocks. For me the change has been fundamental in that I seem to get a much better appreciation of the acting on screen because faces are more interesting. That is the the subtle thing that just makes me really like the Oppo's DV conversion feature.

I'm still watching and comparing as much as I can so back to dwindling late night session. May the force be with you and your dolby vision settings.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #34968 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
No Video Output

I received my (Audiogon purchased) cosmetically flawless used Oppo UDP-203 yesterday.

The unit powers up and briefly displays the start up screen, “OPPO UltraHD Blu-ray”, then the screen goes dark and the “Home Screen” never appears. "No Signal" is displayed on the TV. The Oppo front panel display window does say ‘Home Screen”. (See Photos below)

The Disc Tray opens and closes normally but the unit will not play an audio CD even though the track number and progress status show on the front panel display.

So, with no video output I cannot access the setup menu to look at display resolutions or current firmware, nor can I attempt a reset to factory defaults.

What are my options? Can I try loading firmware with a USB thumb drive or might there be a button sequence on the remote that will invoke a reset?

Any help is appreciated. BTW, this is not my first Oppo player; I also have a BDP-93 and a 105D, so I am somewhat familiar with these devices.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	2519500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	2519502  

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
JDEATON is offline  
post #34969 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Hi @JDEATON ,

Is your OPPO directly connected to your Samsung TV via HDMI or is it being routed through an AVR?
Are you using the 'Premium Certified' HDMI lead that came with your OPPO?
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #34970 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,352
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
I received my (Audiogon purchased) cosmetically flawless used Oppo UDP-203 yesterday.

The unit powers up and briefly displays the start up screen, “OPPO UltraHD Blu-ray”, then the screen goes dark and the “Home Screen” never appears. "No Signal" is displayed on the TV. The Oppo front panel display window does say ‘Home Screen”.
Press and hold the Resolution button and Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, Color Depth will be reset to factory defaults. Does that make a difference?

Is this with a direct connection to the display, or is there a receiver we can bypass for diagnostic purposes?

Do you have any other display to try?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #34971 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Hi @JDEATON ,

Is your OPPO directly connected to your Samsung TV via HDMI or is it being routed through an AVR?
Are you using the 'Premium Certified' HDMI lead that came with your OPPO?
Yes direct connected. Most recently I carried the Oppo to a 32" 1080 Samsung and direct connected with the Oppo Premium Certified HDMI cable with the same result.

I am about to attempt holding down the resolution button mentioned and will report back.

Thanks for the prompt reply's!

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
JDEATON is offline  
post #34972 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Press and hold the Resolution button and Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, Color Depth will be reset to factory defaults. Does that make a difference?

Is this with a direct connection to the display, or is there a receiver we can bypass for diagnostic purposes?

Do you have any other display to try?

-Bill

That did it! Hooray! Thanks a bunch Bill! Apparently the previous owner had selected a 4K resolution. Considering I do not yet have a 4K display my currents TV's said no thanks to any resolution higher than 1080.

This is good news as the unboxing of this device was no different than opening up a brand new one.

Many thanks!
John
tbass2k, vavan and Matt2026 like this.

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
JDEATON is offline  
post #34973 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
LCSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I doubt we will ever see that. However, the HDR10 base layer on the HDR10+ disc converts quite nicely to DV.

I also don't see Oppo adding this feature(it would be nice if they did), but you are right, the conversion of HDR10 to Dolby Vision on my LG OLED65C8 looks quite nice.

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
LCSeminole is offline  
post #34974 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edfowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: central Indiana
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
If I update to the latest firmware will i still be able to play all of my 4k uhd mkv files with hires audio via usb? I know there is no going back once firmware is updated

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
edfowler is offline  
post #34975 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnnytheSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hartford
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Yeah I've got the LG Oled which is same screen as Sony Oled, but different processing. I'm not noticing clipped/blocky whites at all.

Total guess, but I'd be combing Sony forums for best possible dolby vision settings. The LG oleds screens are quite consistent. I've never had a calibration, but I've had very good success with the best settings offered in owners thread and calibration thread for my TV.

On my TV the nearly stock Cinema DV settings some times win me over on very vibrant dolby vision titles like Peter Rabbit (itunes or vudu), but for most stuff I like the calibrated to the nth degree neutral settings.

When we're talking HDR vs DV someone posted in here that a Bluray.com viewer said when they forced HDR from a DV disc they only thought the picture lost 2-3% image quality. Friend of my claimed said reviewer had 2016 TCL and so might not be getting as good a dolby vision experience. On my tv the conversion from HDR to SDR sometimes might be subtle enough that you were watching spaceships or a bunch of rocks. For me the change has been fundamental in that I seem to get a much better appreciation of the acting on screen because faces are more interesting. That is the the subtle thing that just makes me really like the Oppo's DV conversion feature.

I'm still watching and comparing as much as I can so back to dwindling late night session. May the force be with you and your dolby vision settings.

Interesting...


I have a Sony LED and most of the forums for my 940E as well as similar Sony's (Z9D for example) all state that out of the box Dolby Vision is pretty much correct, with maybe dialing back the contrast a bit.



I'm surprised you haven't seen the clipping/sparkly whites when you convert SDR to DV. Others in this thread mention the clipped whites as a reason to NOT convert to DV. Like I said, I love what it does outside of the very bright scenes. An example being the opening paper folding credits in Community, also Ewan McGregor's white suit shirt in Moulin Rouge! when he's singing Your Song. In comparing DV conversion to just the SDR output I can see noise in those scenes during regular viewing (not mastered real well) so maybe the DV conversion as it elevates brightness/peak white accentuates the noise making it clippy and blocky?



I'd love for other people to chime in with their opinions on the conversion. I have no issue with the HDR 10 to DV, and actually prefer it, and I know it's a "preference" vs "reference" discussion, but please fellow Oppo owners...try it out and post your thoughts!
meles likes this.
JohnnytheSkin is offline  
post #34976 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,352
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
That did it! Hooray! Thanks a bunch Bill! Apparently the previous owner had selected a 4K resolution. Considering I do not yet have a 4K display my currents TV's said no thanks to any resolution higher than 1080.

This is good news as the unboxing of this device was no different than opening up a brand new one.

Many thanks!
John
Vary good!

We could have done it another way: tapping the Resolution button cycles between "Custom", "Auto" and "Source Direct". I suspect only the Custom setting was preventing an image. Now that you have control you can go make your own custom settings if you want to.

-Bill
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #34977 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 01:14 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Vary good!

We could have done it another way: tapping the Resolution button cycles between "Custom", "Auto" and "Source Direct". I suspect only the Custom setting was preventing an image. Now that you have control you can go make your own custom settings if you want to.

-Bill
Still carrying the Torch I see! Bravo Zulu Sir......

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is online now  
post #34978 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 02:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,352
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4539 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Bravo Zulu
I had to look that up. I thought you were calling me a drug-induced berzerker (bz in fiction).

But thank you.

-Bill
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #34979 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,279
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
I like the new OPPO support page!

https://www.oppodigital.com
Neil S. Bulk, ht guy and Matt2026 like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #34980 of 36749 Old 02-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Interesting...


I have a Sony LED and most of the forums for my 940E as well as similar Sony's (Z9D for example) all state that out of the box Dolby Vision is pretty much correct, with maybe dialing back the contrast a bit.



I'm surprised you haven't seen the clipping/sparkly whites when you convert SDR to DV. Others in this thread mention the clipped whites as a reason to NOT convert to DV. Like I said, I love what it does outside of the very bright scenes. An example being the opening paper folding credits in Community, also Ewan McGregor's white suit shirt in Moulin Rouge! when he's singing Your Song. In comparing DV conversion to just the SDR output I can see noise in those scenes during regular viewing (not mastered real well) so maybe the DV conversion as it elevates brightness/peak white accentuates the noise making it clippy and blocky?



I'd love for other people to chime in with their opinions on the conversion. I have no issue with the HDR 10 to DV, and actually prefer it, and I know it's a "preference" vs "reference" discussion, but please fellow Oppo owners...try it out and post your thoughts!
Hmmm. I don't have Moulin Rouge, but may pick up a copy to test (cheap on Amazon right now.) Any other examples?

I did watch large bits and pieces of Empire Strikes back and looked for issues in snow scenes, etc. Nothing lept out at me and it looked amazingly good and better than the bits I watched not using Oppo's DV conversion. There was really nice scene in Cloud City where they follow ships and end up zooming in from outside on Leia in a round room. The white was very different with DV conversion and the scene looked a lot better with the sunshine really lighting up everything markedly better inside and out. The white looked cleaner, cripser and more futuristic with DV conversion. Imperial walked scene at beginning of movie was simply fantastic as well. I suppose the whites are altered, but so far I've not picked up anything objectionable. I know for Matrix DV 4K disc there was a scene with some crisp white walls in a room and when you force the disc to HDR, the whites look noisier and less impressive and I'm seeing a similar affect for 2K SDR conversion where the Oppo's DV conversion just seems better.

I'm no video scene expert, but my experience still is the DV conversion is indispensable in my system so far. I've not found anything that stood out as wrong and so much is amazing improved. Its almost like the director got better lighting in all scenes and just gives everything more punch, touch, and feel.

The 4K disc of Labyrinth has got a lot of film grain and noise in my system with standard HDR. With DV conversion its reduced rather nicely to an acceptable level. So far, on my system its not accentuated grain and noise.

edit:
I did see something with whites and noise. Just in a few scenes and the whites already had issues with noise/grainy look, but the DV conversion did take them from objectionable to more objectionable. Overall still preferred the DV conversion handily. (Pride and Prejudice series with Firth).

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)

Last edited by meles; 02-03-2019 at 11:58 AM.
meles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off