Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278828Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35371 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
If you don't like the look of the grain of the film stock in older films, just don't watch older movies shot on film and stick to newer, all-digital productions.

You can always get insight into the specs and image quality of a particular Blu-ray or UHD disk by looking it up at blue-ray.com before you buy it.

There's nothing gained by "yucking the yum" of fans of older films, who want to see them the way they looked when they came out.
Agreed, it’s worth checking out the critical reviews of image/audio quality to avoid disappointment.

I mentioned ‘Mother’ as an example of how grain can be used deliberately for effect even in a very recent movie. I thought it worked really well in this case.
Whirlpool0548 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35372 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
The 4K release of the original Bladerunner... These are two of the most awful 4K releases to date.. Both are heavily loaded with noise.
Re: Blade Runner, that is grain, not noise. And it looks fabulous!!!!
ppasteur, AVfile, Taxcheat and 6 others like this.
Killroy is online now  
post #35373 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,688
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
But........
Sometimes it is used for artistic/dramatic effect.....

Watch - “Mother” 4K

“this Ultra HD Blu-ray remains faithful to the director’s intentions by being muted, dark, grainy and soft. Optimum word there is grainy, which gives the film that organic, documentary feel, but some might find it distracting as it does permeate throughout the run time (unsurprisingly since the majority of the film was shot on 16mm)”
Same thing with the 4k version of "Arrival". Very dark but it was intended like that. I personally, don't like it so dark. I prefer light and crisp for 4k HDR video.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35374 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Same thing with the 4k version of "Arrival". Very dark but it was intended like that. I personally, don't like it so dark. I prefer light and crisp for 4k HDR video.

HDR is so much more than light and crisp, when it's mastered well.
Whirlpool0548 is offline  
post #35375 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsavini View Post
Hi guys,
i’m new here. English isn’t my native language, so i hope you understand the following text ;-)
I’m using an Oppo 203 with the latest Firmware (20XEU-60-0625). I have a problem when playing 4K Discs with HDR. I tried my Projector and my TV (bot older models, only Full-HD, not UHD). When playing 4K Discs, there is a bright, small green line on the left side of the picture (it appears to be one pixel wide exactly). But only on 4K Discs with HDR (for example „American Made“, „Die Hard“). 4K Discs with Dolby Vision doesn’t have this problem (for example „Tomb Raider“ from Warner Brothers). Also Blu-ray’s and DVD’s are fine (so i don’t think it’s a damaged hardware).
I think it’s the same problem this guy has at post 31181 (sorry, i can't post links here).

With Firmware UDP20X-56-0224 everything was fine (that means no green line at „American Made“ and „Die Hard“).
Is there something different in the HDR-Section from last Firmware? I usually use „Off (BT.709)“ or „Off“ (BT.2020)“. But also the other settings „Auto“, „Forced“ and „Strip Metadata“ doesn’t solve the problem. After updating to the actual Firmware a couple of weeks ago, i do a „Factory Reset“.

The only solution at the moment is switching on the „Overscan“ Option on my Projector / TV.

Have anyone an explanation/solution for this „phenomenon“?
I see a new firmware UDP20X-65-0131 is out for the US model. I also see a link here in this thread to download this new firmware for the UK model. Is this really official for the UK model? I mean, nothing on oppodigital.co.uk and nothing via "Update via Internet" from the player (still says "you have the actual firmware").
Should i wait till the Firmware is official at oppodigital.co.uk? Or can i use safely the file from this thread and update via USB?

Another question: Does anyone know that this new firmware helps with my "problem" ("green line with Dolby Vision Dics", see above quote)?
Antonino Barbera likes this.
fxsavini is offline  
post #35376 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,904
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Hey I just bought an Oppo 203. I was surprised to find they removed the HDMI input from the front panel (I have an Oppo 103). Can anyone recommend an HDMI switch that works automatically, when you power on a different input? Specifically for Apple TV and Firestick. Thank you
I've used the Kinivo HDMI switch in the past and I found it to be very reliable and never had any connection issues with it. It does mention an auto-sense capability though I used it with a Harmony remote and selected the input I wanted as part of the Activity so I can't speak to how well the auto-sense feature works.
Keenan is online now  
post #35377 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
If you don't like the look of the grain of the film stock in older films, just don't watch older movies shot on film and stick to newer, all-digital productions.

You can always get insight into the specs and image quality of a particular Blu-ray or UHD disk by looking it up at blue-ray.com before you buy it.

There's nothing gained by "yucking the yum" of fans of older films, who want to see them the way they looked when they came out.
It's not just old movies. Transformers had a lot of grain.
yobbo is online now  
post #35378 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I've used the Kinivo HDMI switch in the past and I found it to be very reliable and never had any connection issues with it. It does mention an auto-sense capability though I used it with a Harmony remote and selected the input I wanted as part of the Activity so I can't speak to how well the auto-sense feature works.

thank you!
Dr Steve is offline  
post #35379 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
1995 is calling. They want their film grain complaints back.



-Bill
Lol. This is one of the last places I thought I'd see people complaining about grain. The 4k release of the original Blade Runner has been lauded as a great transfer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
AVfile, Taxcheat, galonzo and 2 others like this.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
sovereignstar is online now  
post #35380 of 36750 Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Lol. This is one of the last places I thought I'd see people complaining about grain. The 4k release of the original Blade Runner has been lauded as a great transfer.
Exactly, I couldn't believe what I was seeing from a 35+ year-old film when I first watched it in my Oppo

Which reminds me, I still keep my post updated that lists every single UHD disk that has played successfully from beginning to end in my 203 (in the spoiler), for those who might need to reference it if they ever come across one that gives them issues

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #35381 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Senior Member
 
hlindstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsavini View Post
I see a new firmware UDP20X-65-0131 is out for the US model. I also see a link here in this thread to download this new firmware for the UK model. Is this really official for the UK model? I mean, nothing on oppodigital.co.uk and nothing via "Update via Internet" from the player (still says "you have the actual firmware").
Should i wait till the Firmware is official at oppodigital.co.uk? Or can i use safely the file from this thread and update via USB?

Another question: Does anyone know that this new firmware helps with my "problem" ("green line with Dolby Vision Dics", see above quote)?
Yes, it is the official one. Once the link will appear in the UK site you will notice that it links to exatcly same location. You can even compare the current Official and Public Beta download links currently alive in the UK site. They point to same share location. I guess UK/EU office is already operating at very low man-hours and publishing new firmware is not their number 1 priority at the moment. That's how it looks anyway.
galonzo likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB
hlindstr is offline  
post #35382 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 04:24 AM
Member
 
chrisf16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Late last year I bought a 203 on Amazon (at a scalper's price) from an American dealer and I'm an American customer. When I go to check for the new firmware update it says I have the latest available and I see that my current firmware is labelled "20XEU-60-0625". I'm guessing that I was shadily sold a European model?

My question is, can I download the US current new firmware and update this machine to the US firmware via USB?
chrisf16 is offline  
post #35383 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,357
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf16 View Post
Late last year I bought a 203 on Amazon (at a scalper's price) from an American dealer and I'm an American customer. When I go to check for the new firmware update it says I have the latest available and I see that my current firmware is labelled "20XEU-60-0625". I'm guessing that I was shadily sold a European model?
Yes, that is a Euro model.

Quote:
My question is, can I download the US current new firmware and update this machine to the US firmware via USB?
No, it won't accept it. Contact OPPO and explain the situation, see if they can help. There is a contact form on their web page.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #35384 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 04:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Earth
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf16 View Post
Late last year I bought a 203 on Amazon (at a scalper's price) from an American dealer and I'm an American customer. When I go to check for the new firmware update it says I have the latest available and I see that my current firmware is labelled "20XEU-60-0625". I'm guessing that I was shadily sold a European model?

My question is, can I download the US current new firmware and update this machine to the US firmware via USB?
why not just download the European firmware?
captainbrent likes this.
yobbo is online now  
post #35385 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
1995 is calling. They want their film grain complaints back.

-Bill
I know it's how the film produced it's all on the filmmaker how they shoot the film is it digital is it 35 mm or 70 mm it's a filmmaker's choice. But please don't tell me with today's equipment how far we've come with TVs projectors Blu-ray players streaming devices that you actually like a grainy picture? I'm not saying you do but I'm just wondering because like I said when you go from a really Beautiful scene to one that looks like somebody standing behind the actor throwing sand in the air and it's a little annoying. Of course that's just my view on the subject some people actually love it. and are not bothered by it I guess to each his own. oh and I'm not talking about old films you expect that and films that are 15 or 20 years old or even older

Last edited by Joanvan1; 02-21-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Joanvan1 is offline  
post #35386 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,029
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
This is not the area for discussing film grain. Please stick to discussion of the player. There are many threads on this topic in the software area.
gsr and jazzrock like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #35387 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I hooked up my 203 main hdmi to my Sony TV and the audio hdmi to my Yamaha receiver. It’s only outputting stereo. I think I’ve checked everything in the settings menu, but obviously Im missing something to get five channel audio. Can anyone help here? Thank you
Dr Steve is offline  
post #35388 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf16 View Post
...When I go to check for the new firmware update it says I have the latest available and I see that my current firmware is labelled "20XEU-60-0625". I'm guessing that I was shadily sold a European model?

My question is, can I download the US current new firmware and update this machine to the US firmware via USB?
Sadly, the newest official release of firmware version UDP20XEU-65-0131 is still not available via the OPPO UK/EU web site.

However, if you want to install the newest official release, it can be found here: http://oppofirmware.s3.amazonaws.com...EU-65-0131.zip


Cheers
galonzo and codyrocco like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #35389 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
This is not the area for discussing film grain. Please stick to discussion of the player. There are many threads on this topic in the software area.
My apologies sir you are right this is not thread to be discussing this particular topic
Joanvan1 is offline  
post #35390 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Member
 
codyrocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
quick question: upscaling by oppo, by avr [in my case, a marantz 6010, but let's take it generally] or by tv?
codyrocco is offline  
post #35391 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
@codyrocco , most here use the excellent upscaling of the 203 by selecting Custom >> UHD Auto

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #35392 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Member
 
codyrocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@codyrocco , most here use the excellent upscaling of the 203 by selecting Custom >> UHD Auto
thanks, it's the setting i'm using now - for video playback

i asked because i want to implement a solution for analogue video capture; inputs will go into avr, outputting to a hdr10 4k video capture card, but i must choose if i'll let avr do the upscaling, or insert oppo in the processing chain. your reply confirmed me what i supposed - that oppo will do a better job, even there will be extra work to move cables and so.
[seems that's all about dedicated/expensive video circuitry in AVRs...]

Last edited by codyrocco; 02-21-2019 at 09:46 AM.
codyrocco is offline  
post #35393 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could anybody help me with explanation why Oppo sometimes can play internal subtitles in mkv files (uhd rips) and sometimes not? And is there any easy solution?
Sorry if the answer is somewhere here in the forum but I just could not find it. Or enywhere else. Thanks
jabbaros is offline  
post #35394 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbaros View Post
Could anybody help me with explanation why Oppo sometimes can play internal subtitles in mkv files (uhd rips) and sometimes not? And is there any easy solution?
Sorry if the answer is somewhere here in the forum but I just could not find it. Or enywhere else. Thanks
‘Forced’ subtitles definitely work for BDMV folder playback for HD blu-Ray. E,g Mission Impossible Rogue Nation blu-Ray. I recently checked this for myself with this movie.

I can’t verify if the same applies for ‘forced’ subs on UHD movies, haven’t investigated this yet.

If the Oppo 203 respects the forced flag on mkv playback, you shouldn’t need to select anything, the subs should be displayed automatically. (If the mkv includes the relevant PGS subtitle stream)

You can check whether a particular movie has ‘forced’ subs via the web, there are documented lists.

Firstly, check if the original movie of one of the MKVs you are trying has ‘forced’ subs.

If the original movie has ‘forced’ subs and the Oppo 203 supports the forced flag in MKVs, the subtitles should appear automatically.

Otherwise, if the original movie has separate subtitles, you would need to select subtitles and the PGS stream for the relevant subtitles would have to have been selected for inclusion in the original mkv.

If the movie has embedded subtitles, these are merged with the video and appear automatically.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 02-21-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Whirlpool0548 is offline  
post #35395 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazytrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Sadly, the newest official release of firmware version UDP20XEU-65-0131 is still not available via the OPPO UK/EU web site.



However, if you want to install the newest official release, it can be found here: http://oppofirmware.s3.amazonaws.com...EU-65-0131.zip





Cheers
How do you install this? Simply pop it on a USB and select to read from the USB via the update screen?
Crazytrekker is offline  
post #35396 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,316
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
How do you install this? Simply pop it on a USB and select to read from the USB via the update screen?
The UK/EU version of the OPPO's firmware is slightly different to the US version because the 'UDP20XEU.bin file has been placed within a .zip file. So after you've downloaded it you have to unzip/extract it in order to get to the 'UDP20XEU.bin' file.

Then transfer the 'UDP20XEU.bin' file onto the 'root' of a USB pen-drive. After a few seconds you should see an 'on-screen' prompt
Crazytrekker and galonzo like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #35397 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr View Post
Yes, it is the official one. Once the link will appear in the UK site you will notice that it links to exatcly same location. You can even compare the current Official and Public Beta download links currently alive in the UK site. They point to same share location. I guess UK/EU office is already operating at very low man-hours and publishing new firmware is not their number 1 priority at the moment. That's how it looks anyway.
Thank you! Firmware-Update for the UK model via USB works fine. I tested a couple of HDR Discs (1080p, SDR conversion). Now, the „green line“ on the left side of the picture is gone. I‘m happy
fxsavini is offline  
post #35398 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It looks like the Oppo 203 will not pass Dolby Atmos from an Apple 4K TV to an AVR? Is that still the case? I'm browsing the thread and see that seems to be true, and I can't do it on mine.
Dr Steve is offline  
post #35399 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,649
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
It looks like the Oppo 203 will not pass Dolby Atmos from an Apple 4K TV to an AVR? Is that still the case? I'm browsing the thread and see that seems to be true, and I can't do it on mine.
Yes, true. You can go through the AVR first and then to the Oppo, then to the display, with the audio only loop back from the Oppo to the AVR for disc audio.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #35400 of 36750 Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,575
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbaros View Post
Could anybody help me with explanation why Oppo sometimes can play internal subtitles in mkv files (uhd rips) and sometimes not? And is there any easy solution?
Sorry if the answer is somewhere here in the forum but I just could not find it. Or enywhere else. Thanks
On those titles where you must rely on subs, the "easy" solution is to rip to BDMV folder. MKV subs are hit and miss, I've never seen an explanation of why that is. but it doesn't seem to matter if its HD or UHD.
giomania and codyrocco like this.
rdgrimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off