Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278962Likes

post #35401 of 36920 Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Yes, true. You can go through the AVR first and then to the Oppo, then to the display, with the audio only loop back from the Oppo to the AVR for disc audio.

Thank you. Odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35402 of 36920 Old 02-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Yes, true. You can go through the AVR first and then to the Oppo, then to the display, with the audio only loop back from the Oppo to the AVR for disc audio.

Lack of Atmos is a deal breaker for me- BUT it also looks like Dolby Vision is not as clean or bright as it is directly from my Apple TV to AVR. is that also a known issue?
post #35403 of 36920 Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 312
My UHD backups are confusing me. I did the full backup option using MakeMKV. Originally, I couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, but it would work from a USB drive. Figured out to switch my NAS share from DLNA to NFS. That got my Saving Private Ryan Dolby Vision backup to work, which was the test one I was working with since it has Dolby Vision, but now I come to discover that no other backups work via NFS. The Oppo crashes whenever I try to open up any other UHD backup, but the Saving Private Ryan one still works perfectly. Other UHD backups work via USB, so I know the backups are fine. I'm using the AVCHD folder (tried with and without, the Saving Private Ryan backup works without the AVCHD folder). I've tried that BDMV Modifier on all of the folders even though it's not supposed to be needed for UHD backups. Any ideas what's going on? I don't understand how only Saving Private Ryan works via NFS and no other movies work except via USB. Regular blu-ray backups work just fine via NFS.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's

Last edited by Bluecow003; 02-21-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35404 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyrocco View Post
quick question: upscaling by oppo, by avr [in my case, a marantz 6010, but let's take it generally] or by tv?
I connect our OPPO 93, Xfinity Cable, and Roku 3 devices playing 1080p or lower source material to the HDMI IN OPPO 203 port using an HDMI switch.

The OPPO 203 and Roku Ultra are connected to our AVR via HDMI. The AVR HDMI out is connected to our HDR TV. I like the scaling results with this setup.

I've never used our AVR (Denon X3400U) for scaling, but I'm assuming that it would be hard to beat the OPPO 203 with either an AVR or a TV.

If I like what I'm seeing, I just don't go into extensive testing to find a winner.
galonzo, codyrocco and Matt2026 like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #35405 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelD View Post
Hi there,

I'm in need for support with the OPPO MediaControl App (for Android) for my UHD-203:

I'm using the app to access my movie-files (.mkv) on my QNAP NAS via SMB.

In the Google Play-Store within the descripion of the features of the app it says "quickly browse through your media files alphabetically..."

So far so good, but with SMB-access the files on my NAS get displayed in any order, but no way alphabetically. Using e.g. Twonky the same files in the same directory are displayed in alpabetical order.

Is there any chance or hidden option that may allow to change the order when accessing the directrory via SMB?

Many thanks in advance for your kind support on this (minor) issue I have...

Kind regards,
Marcel

NOONE? Or didn't I point out clearly enough what's my issue?
post #35406 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
My UHD backups are confusing me. I did the full backup option using MakeMKV. Originally, I couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, but it would work from a USB drive. Figured out to switch my NAS share from DLNA to NFS. That got my Saving Private Ryan Dolby Vision backup to work, which was the test one I was working with since it has Dolby Vision, but now I come to discover that no other backups work via NFS. The Oppo crashes whenever I try to open up any other UHD backup, but the Saving Private Ryan one still works perfectly. Other UHD backups work via USB, so I know the backups are fine. I'm using the AVCHD folder (tried with and without, the Saving Private Ryan backup works without the AVCHD folder). I've tried that BDMV Modifier on all of the folders even though it's not supposed to be needed for UHD backups. Any ideas what's going on? I don't understand how only Saving Private Ryan works via NFS and no other movies work except via USB. Regular blu-ray backups work just fine via NFS.
You definitely don’t need the BDMV modifier for the UHD case.

The issue you describe, where Saving Private Ryan works directly from the NAS, but other UHD backups only work from USB and crash the Oppo points to a possible fragmentation issue on the NAS. Fragmentation slows the transfer rate across the network. Regular HD blu-Ray backups have a lower bitrate, which could explain why they work OK from the NAS.

Copying a fragmented file off the disc will defragment the file.

The saving Private Ryan backup is stored on a less fragmented area of the drive.

It’s a theory, but it could explain what you are seeing. Not sure about fragmentation on a NAS, maybe others could comment.

“If your data is modified constantly, the number of fragmented files will increase in the file system, resulting in slow access performance of files on the hard drives. Performing file system defragmentation can improve the performance”.
giomania likes this.

Last edited by Whirlpool0548; 02-22-2019 at 01:25 AM.
post #35407 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
You definitely don’t need the BDMV modifier for the UHD case.

The issue you describe, where Saving Private Ryan works directly from the NAS, but other UHD backups only work from USB and crash the Oppo points to a possible fragmentation issue on the NAS. Fragmentation slows the transfer rate across the network. Regular HD blu-Ray backups have a lower bitrate, which could explain why they work OK from the NAS.

Copying a fragmented file off the disc will defragment the file.

The saving Private Ryan backup is stored on a less fragmented area of the drive.

It’s a theory, but it could explain what you are seeing. Not sure about fragmentation on a NAS, maybe others could comment.

“If your data is modified constantly, the number of fragmented files will increase in the file system, resulting in slow access performance of files on the hard drives. Performing file system defragmentation can improve the performance”.

I'll see if I can do that, but I would be surprised if that's the case. My NAS is a QNAP server with 8 hard drives in a RAID 10 configuration that I just setup in January. Everything that has been written to it has basically just been writing stuff to it for the first time and the last thing I did with it was finish ripping all of my movies just last week.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #35408 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelD View Post
NOONE? Or didn't I point out clearly enough what's my issue?
I haven't tried the app but are you sure they are in alphabetical order on the NAS? When viewed on a PC or laptop are the files in alphabetical order? Perhaps the NAS has them in some other order which you can change.
post #35409 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Quote:
Via USB, the Oppo will play the BDMV folder just as it is right off the disc.
Via SMB/NFS you must use the AVCHD folder. So the folder path is like: "movie name" / AVCHD / BDMV

Beyond that I have nothing to suggest. The Oppo shouldn't "crash" on any of this, it should either play it or not. So this suggests some issue on the network side.
galonzo likes this.
post #35410 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Via SMB/NFS you must use the AVCHD folder. So the folder path is like: "movie name" / AVCHD / BDMV

Beyond that I have nothing to suggest. The Oppo shouldn't "crash" on any of this, it should either play it or not. So this suggests some issue on the network side.

Yeah, must be a network issue. I'm not sure how to resolve it though.

post #35411 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, must be a network issue. I'm not sure how to resolve it though.
It must be possible to monitor CPU usage, network throughput and disk performance on the NAS whilst playing a UHD movie on the Oppo.
post #35412 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have a Reg. B bluray which would play perfectly fine in the Reg.-free Oppo 103 but not in the 203. It is an unrecognized disc. I even updated the firmware recently but the disc refuses to be recognized before as well as after firmware update. Now, it plays other Reg. B discs just fine, just not this one - and this disc is in near brand new condition. Any one have any ideas?
post #35413 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
It looks like the Oppo 203 will not pass Dolby Atmos from an Apple 4K TV to an AVR? Is that still the case? I'm browsing the thread and see that seems to be true, and I can't do it on mine.
Quote:
Thank you. Odd.
Quote:
Lack of Atmos is a deal breaker for me- BUT it also looks like Dolby Vision is not as clean or bright as it is directly from my Apple TV to AVR. is that also a known issue?
While various 4K streaming services offer lossy Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus compression which is supported by the Mediatek SoC, the Apple TV 4K oddly outputs in PCM as Dolby MAT 2.0 audio stream which is not. If you find it odd, consider that this was implemented after the design of the MT8591 SoC which is a enhanced adaption of the MT8581 announced during CES 2016 (January). The PDF from Dolby discussing Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) seem to be authored October/November 2016. See a problem?

The reason Apple went that route is that they intended the TV to be also a game console of sorts that IMHO didn't accel in. Dolby MAT is seen more with game consoles then AV gear.
giomania, galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #35414 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4582 Post(s)
Liked: 4419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I have a Reg. B bluray which would play perfectly fine in the Reg.-free Oppo 103 but not in the 203. It is an unrecognized disc. I even updated the firmware recently but the disc refuses to be recognized before as well as after firmware update. Now, it plays other Reg. B discs just fine, just not this one - and this disc is in near brand new condition. Any one have any ideas?
Does the 203 have a region free mod also? Your other region B discs might actually be all-region.

"Brand new condition": means nothing. Discs can be defective; sometimes you can see it but sometimes not.

Do you have a computer with the Blu-ray drive? If so, does the disc mount?

-Bill
Madmax67 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #35415 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Does the 203 have a region free mod also? Your other region B discs might actually be all-region.

"Brand new condition": means nothing. Discs can be defective; sometimes you can see it but sometimes not.

Do you have a computer with the Blu-ray drive? If so, does the disc mount?

-Bill
Yes, my 203 has a region-free mod as well. And I believe, my other region B discs are actually identified as "Region B" (I have tested a few of them; they certainly don't play when player's set to play Reg. A discs). Which is why this issue is stumping me. How did a disc that was fine all the time w/Oppo-103 (reg.-free) not fine with Oppo-203 (also reg.-free). Another person who has this exact same disc and a reg.-free Oppo-203 was able to play it just fine.

I don't have a computer with a blu-ray drive.
post #35416 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 03:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
Yes, my 203 has a region-free mod as well. And I believe, my other region B discs are actually identified as "Region B" (I have tested a few of them; they certainly don't play when player's set to play Reg. A discs). Which is why this issue is stumping me. How did a disc that was fine all the time w/Oppo-103 (reg.-free) not fine with Oppo-203 (also reg.-free). Another person who has this exact same disc and a reg.-free Oppo-203 was able to play it just fine.

I don't have a computer with a blu-ray drive.
It could be right at the margin of reliability for either the disc or the drive in the player or both. Much of home video is right on the edge of failure these days; tiny variations in manufacturing can make the difference.

You might contact OPPO support and see if they have any experience with that title.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #35417 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Also, try the disc cleaning procedure described here: What do I do if a disc will not play?

This has saved many perfect-looking discs for me.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

post #35418 of 36920 Old 02-22-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Quote:
It must be possible to monitor CPU usage, network throughput and disk performance on the NAS whilst playing a UHD movie on the Oppo.

I checked my share settings on the NAS again and made one update to the user group that was allowed access to the media folder. That seems to have done the trick because all of my UHD backups are working now. Very happy!

post #35419 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked my share settings on the NAS again and made one update to the user group that was allowed access to the media folder. That seems to have done the trick because all of my UHD backups are working now. Very happy!
Good to hear you solved it.
post #35420 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferbrache View Post
I haven't tried the app but are you sure they are in alphabetical order on the NAS? When viewed on a PC or laptop are the files in alphabetical order? Perhaps the NAS has them in some other order which you can change.

Many thanks for your point of view. AFAIK there is no specific "order" of the files on a storage medium - it's always the program/app you use that determines the order in wich the files are displayed. In this very case I get the files on my NAS displayed in alpabetical order using TWONKY, but these very files are displayed in a completely messed up order (can't tell if by size oder date or by what criteria else) when accessing the via SMB.
So I come to the conclusion that it is something about the App MediaControl, though it says in the descripion of the app in the AppStore that it displyas the files in alphabetical order. What is not the case. In my case...

So any further ideas / experiences? I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if it is me that causes the issue by misunderstanding some option/function, but until now I do not see anymore what I might have done wrong...
post #35421 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Official EU firmware is on Oppo's support page.
http://oppodigital.co.uk/firmware-UDP-203-205.html
Crazytrekker, galonzo and wl1 like this.

UE55F9005 - SEK-3500U/ZG
OPPO UDP-205EU
ROTEL RB980 + RB985 poweramps
3 Miller & Kreisel MP150 + 2 S150T speakers + 2 V12 subs
post #35422 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I know there is a beta release but does anyone have word on the official update for the HDR10+ release?
post #35423 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
I know there is a beta release but does anyone have word on the official update for the HDR10+ release?
That is in the latest official release (although the release notes don't say so). There has been no new beta since then.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

post #35424 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5796 Post(s)
Liked: 8269
Quote:
It’s in there. OPPO is just not allowed to market it yet.
—Bob
normandia and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #35425 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Quote:
That is in the latest official release (although the release notes don't say so). There has been no new beta since then.

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
It’s in there. OPPO is just not allowed to market it yet.
—Bob
Ah! Good to know. So for now the OPPO is still competing with all the features the UB9000 has minus the HDR optimizer.

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
post #35426 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Ah! Good to know. So for now the OPPO is still competing with all the features the UB9000 has minus the HDR optimizer.
And the HDR-SDR tone mapping is not right on the Oppo, but is right on the Panasonic.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #35427 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
My Oppo 203 doesn't read .h265 files. Do we need to convert those or change the file extension in order for the 203 to read them?

lujan
527 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #35428 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My Oppo 203 doesn't read .h265 files. Do we need to convert those or change the file extension in order for the 203 to read them?
What does Mediainfo say about those files? Are they in a container of some sort, or raw video?

I'd try putting them into an MKV container. mkvmerge should do it.

-Bill

post #35429 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Research free HEVC converters, it should be possible to convert to mp4.
post #35430 of 36920 Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Quote:
What does Mediainfo say about those files? Are they in a container of some sort, or raw video?

I'd try putting them into an MKV container. mkvmerge should do it.

-Bill
Quote:
Research free HEVC converters, it should be possible to convert to mp4.
Thanks, converting to MKV didn't work.

lujan
527 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page