Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279807Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35431 of 38038 Old 02-23-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My Oppo 203 doesn't read .h265 files. Do we need to convert those or change the file extension in order for the 203 to read them?
I suggest you run your problem file through an application called MediaInfo (set to text mode) and post what it reports in full as a text file.


Cheers
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35432 of 38038 Old 02-23-2019, 11:26 PM
Member
 
codyrocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
My Oppo 203 doesn't read .h265 files. Do we need to convert those or change the file extension in order for the 203 to read them?
probably is a single video stream, not placed inside a specified container (mp4, mkv, ts, m2ts).
you could:
1. use mp4muxer and create a mp4 compliant file
2. use mkvtoolnix (with mkvtoolnix-gui), add existent .h265 file to stream list and create a mkv.
imho mkvtoolnix is easier to use.
mp4muxer is mostly for command-line, and some specified versions (https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18602) could create dolby vision mp4
codyrocco is offline  
post #35433 of 38038 Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
calentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Corona, CA 92879-1055
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I just updated the firmware on my Oppo UDP-203. I can now get HDR10+ on my TV. (Samsung Q9F) I have "A Beautiful Planet" which was recorded in HDR10+ but I made the mistake of not watching the movie just before the upgrade - so I have nothing to compare with. It does look great now, however.
galonzo and South Park like this.

--Carl
calentz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35434 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
I just updated the firmware on my Oppo UDP-203. I can now get HDR10+ on my TV. (Samsung Q9F) I have "A Beautiful Planet" which was recorded in HDR10+ but I made the mistake of not watching the movie just before the upgrade - so I have nothing to compare with. It does look great now, however.
Can anyone who has updated to the latest Firmware UDP20XEU-65-0131 confirm if blu-Ray BDMV folder playback over the network still works via AVCHD using the BDMV modifier also if UHD BDMV folder playback still works.
Whirlpool0548 is offline  
post #35435 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
Can anyone who has updated to the latest Firmware UDP20XEU-65-0131 confirm if blu-Ray BDMV folder playback over the network still works via AVCHD using the BDMV modifier also if UHD BDMV folder playback still works.
Yes, it still works (via SMB).
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35436 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just recently bought the Oppo 203 and have noticed that AAC 7.1 files in MKVs are not correctly played. They are identified as AAC 7.0 24 kHz and give heavily distorted sound when being downmixed to stereo. They play back fine in my other media player - it’s just that my other media player doesn’t have the same brilliant picture quality as the Oppo. I can see this issue was mentioned in the thread by someone else back in 2016. Anybody knows whether Oppo was informed about this issue or whether they just don’t want to support the format?
Kaver163 is offline  
post #35437 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaver163 View Post
Just recently bought the Oppo 203 and have noticed that AAC 7.1 files in MKVs are not correctly played. They are identified as AAC 7.0 24 kHz and give heavily distorted sound when being downmixed to stereo....
I can confirm this.

The audio from 8 (7.1) channel AAC audio files is distorted even when it's transcoded to 8 channel PCM. Also playback of other 'non bit-stream' 8 channel audio formats such as Flac, Vorbis and WMA is either unstable or does not work at all.


Cheers
Kaver163 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35438 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
Dolby Vision apears in the Extended Info (Input) area on my 203, when playing a DV disc back on my 1080P projector. It explains wthe juddery 24Hz to 60hz conversion issue I keep whingeing about......

So a consistent approach for HDR10+ would be for this to show up in the Input Area too. Is this not the case? I have no HDR10+ discs to test.

Obviously, the output of the 203 should be what your display can deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
With Dolby Vision discs:
If your display supports DV the info will report Dolby Vision as source.
If your display does not support DV but does support HDR10 the info will report HDR as source.
If your display does not support either DV or HDR10 the info will report Dolby Vision as source because DV is being converted to SDR.

So the only time you will see HDR10+ reported as source is if you have a display that supports it. Or if a HDR10+ conversion to DV or to HDR10 or to SDR feature is added.
The HDR10+ DOES show up in the Extended Info area, when outputting to a 1080P display, but only on mkv media playback.

When checking the same movie with disc playback, it displays BDMV HDR instead. I think this is inconsistent, as the source is HDR10+ but is using the base HDR 10 to convert to SDR.

I think the Input info area should always show the disc/file content, ie SDR/HDR/DV/HDR10+. With the Output info area showing what the Oppo is oututting to the Display based on its capabilities and the Oppo settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF6D05BD-1529-4FAB-94B4-5B2EBC90F543.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2530406   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7B98797-140A-4F3D-8F0E-970C0DC670EF.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2530408   Click image for larger version

Name:	99C6895C-4DD0-4D96-A593-0AFF3829E4E7.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2530410   Click image for larger version

Name:	798A5C9F-0267-484C-B226-9EA71EA0CC75.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2530412  

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #35439 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,323
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked: 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
The HDR10+ DOES show up in the Extended Info area, when outputting to a 1080P display, but only on mkv media playback.

When checking the same movie with disc playback, it displays BDMV HDR instead. I think this is inconsistent, as the source is HDR10+ but is using the base HDR 10 to convert to SDR.

I think the Input info area should always show the disc/file content, ie SDR/HDR/DV/HDR10+. With the Output info area showing what the Oppo is oututting to the Display based on its capabilities and the Oppo settings.
I prefer the way it is for disc playback. It shows the content layer that is being processed. For a DV/HDR10 disc, the Oppo is processing the HDR10 layer to send to my HDR10 projector. With a HDR10+/HDR10 disc, the player again is processing the HDR10 layer. I want to know that information and not that there happens to be a DV layer or HDR10+ layer on the disc as well.

With a 1080P display and a DV/HDR10 disc, the Oppo converts the DV layer to SDR so should display DV as the source.

When the first DV/HDR10+/HDR10 disc appears, it only makes sense that the layer being processed is shown as the source. Otherwise why would DV trump HDR10+ or HDR10+ trump DV?
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #35440 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
When the first DV/HDR10+/HDR10 disc appears, it only makes sense that the layer being processed is shown as the source.
Looks like you'll be buying this disc then: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Robin...lu-ray/229309/


Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35441 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Member
 
bferbrache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelD View Post
Many thanks for your point of view. AFAIK there is no specific "order" of the files on a storage medium - it's always the program/app you use that determines the order in wich the files are displayed. In this very case I get the files on my NAS displayed in alpabetical order using TWONKY, but these very files are displayed in a completely messed up order (can't tell if by size oder date or by what criteria else) when accessing the via SMB.
So I come to the conclusion that it is something about the App MediaControl, though it says in the descripion of the app in the AppStore that it displyas the files in alphabetical order. What is not the case. In my case...


So any further ideas / experiences? I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if it is me that causes the issue by misunderstanding some option/function, but until now I do not see anymore what I might have done wrong...
I’ve tried the app and I have the same problem as you on my Android phone, the network movies are in a random order on my Synology NAS. The usb drive plugged in to my NAS shows up in the app with all movies in alphabetical order. I have tried the app on my iPad and there is no problem with the app, the network movies are in alphabetical order. Something is wrong with the android version of the app
Cheers
Brian
bferbrache is online now  
post #35442 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferbrache View Post
I’ve tried the app and I have the same problem as you on my Android phone, the network movies are in a random order on my Synology NAS. The usb drive plugged in to my NAS shows up in the app with all movies in alphabetical order. I have tried the app on my iPad and there is no problem with the app, the network movies are in alphabetical order. Something is wrong with the android version of the app
Cheers
Brian
Are you accessing via SMB or UPnP?
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35443 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Member
 
bferbrache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Are you accessing via SMB or UPnP?
Via SMB, it’s not a big deal for me, just a bit of an oddity
bferbrache is online now  
post #35444 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferbrache View Post
Via SMB, it’s not a big deal for me, just a bit of an oddity
I thought as much. I noticed the same some time ago with the Android app but only with MakeMKV back-ups.

However, after re-muxing such files using MKVToolNix GUI and amending the 'File Title' the Android app correctly lists them via SMB - And displays movie poster icons if you've added them.
bferbrache and galonzo like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35445 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 02:29 PM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
When the first DV/HDR10+/HDR10 disc appears, it only makes sense that the layer being processed is shown as the source. Otherwise why would DV trump HDR10+ or HDR10+ trump DV?
You make a good point here. I saw the Media Information area as “disc/file capability” or Input....but I think you are right, the Oppo seems to be displaying the information of the source it is processing.

In which case, the HDR10+ on the MKV file playback should not be present...🥴
galonzo likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #35446 of 38038 Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
redsandvb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: HI
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelD View Post
Many thanks for your point of view. AFAIK there is no specific "order" of the files on a storage medium - it's always the program/app you use that determines the order in wich the files are displayed. In this very case I get the files on my NAS displayed in alpabetical order using TWONKY, but these very files are displayed in a completely messed up order (can't tell if by size oder date or by what criteria else) when accessing the via SMB.
So I come to the conclusion that it is something about the App MediaControl, though it says in the descripion of the app in the AppStore that it displyas the files in alphabetical order. What is not the case. In my case...


So any further ideas / experiences? I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if it is me that causes the issue by misunderstanding some option/function, but until now I do not see anymore what I might have done wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferbrache View Post
I’ve tried the app and I have the same problem as you on my Android phone, the network movies are in a random order on my Synology NAS. The usb drive plugged in to my NAS shows up in the app with all movies in alphabetical order. I have tried the app on my iPad and there is no problem with the app, the network movies are in alphabetical order. Something is wrong with the android version of the app
Cheers
Brian

I use the Android app on a Pixel 2 and SMB to see my shared drives on an old Win 8.1 miniPC. The files and folders are listed alphabetically for me. Sorry it's not much help but just thought I'd mention it.
bferbrache likes this.
redsandvb is offline  
post #35447 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
blairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jordan Springs NSW Australia
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
When should one use the 'player led' setting under HDR. I think it's for DV.

I used it the other day when watching Venom UHD which has DV and with player led turned on movie was unwatchable. Turned it off and all was fine.
blairy is offline  
post #35448 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferbrache View Post
I’ve tried the app and I have the same problem as you on my Android phone, the network movies are in a random order on my Synology NAS. The usb drive plugged in to my NAS shows up in the app with all movies in alphabetical order. I have tried the app on my iPad and there is no problem with the app, the network movies are in alphabetical order. Something is wrong with the android version of the app

Many thanks for trying out on this and for reporting your experience. So it's not me being too silly to get along witht that app



Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I thought as much. I noticed the same some time ago with the Android app but only with MakeMKV back-ups. However, after re-muxing such files using MKVToolNix GUI and amending the 'File Title' the Android app correctly lists them via SMB - And displays movie poster icons if you've added them.

It's .mkv omly, too, that makes problems on my side. So I'll check out the mentioned MKVToolNix to fix it, but probably not before the upcoming weekend. Many thanks to you, too!


Kind regards,
Marcel
MarcelD is offline  
post #35449 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 05:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,728
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked: 4619
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
When should one use the 'player led' setting under HDR. I think it's for DV.

I used it the other day when watching Venom UHD which has DV and with player led turned on movie was unwatchable. Turned it off and all was fine.
It is for Sony displays that cannot use the original DV profile. Other displays that support DV will use Player-led, although with time some have supported both.

The "Auto" setting for that control has worked well.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #35450 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Member
 
adrogoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterstar View Post
It's just a matter of enabling the log in Samba configs in Linux, Ubuntu in my case (google "samba log levels", my post count is too low to post links). But yeah, it was pretty interesting to test. For example, I noticed that when I pressed "Enter/Play" on a folder, say <title>, it would try to open a <title> folder within it, which obviously wasn't there. When I created that nested <title>/<title> folder, it then looked for <title>/<title>/BDMV and <title>/<title>/BDAV, and so on. You can also set up an NFS server and it also has a log/debug mode. I tried that briefly and noticed the behavior was similar to that of Samba, so I assume the Oppo uses the same code for both network file services.

I'm also using a Linux Samba server (net-fs/samba-4.9.3).
The first time I connect with my UDP-203 to Samba everything works fine. When I leave the share and want to connect again I'm asked for credentials and cannot login.
As a workaround I've setup a second share name pointing to the same location. If the first one doesn't work I use the second one and vice versa. Are you also experiencing this problem?
If not and if you are not using anonymous access would you be so kind to share your smb.conf?
adrogoin is offline  
post #35451 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
scarabaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Leandro, CA, USA
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
The behavior before the most recent OPPO and Apple TV 4K updates was that when the Apple TV was outputting Atmos, there would be no audio whatsoever. Complete silence.

As of recently..... there is audio now... even on movies marked for atmos.... and it's showing 7.1 channels.

Previously, the only way to make audio work through the OPPO input was to change the format of the audio and force Dolby 5.1.

This is no longer the case. So something for sure changed. Perhaps the Apple TV is now able to self diagnose the capabilities of the next input and will correct its output now?

The latest firmware is removing the "Atmos" support flag from the Dolby MAT descriptor in the input's EDID. This still allows TrueHD (also in the MAT container format), including "stealth" Atmos metadata, to pass through the Oppo as "TrueHD 7.1" audio.


But an AppleTV or XBox will no longer send MAT PCM Atmos, which is not supported by the path through the Oppo, and fall back to multi-channel (7.1) PCM audio.
galonzo likes this.
scarabaeus is offline  
post #35452 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
The behavior before the most recent OPPO and Apple TV 4K updates was that when the Apple TV was outputting Atmos, there would be no audio whatsoever. Complete silence.

As of recently..... there is audio now... even on movies marked for atmos.... and it's showing 7.1 channels.

Previously, the only way to make audio work through the OPPO input was to change the format of the audio and force Dolby 5.1.

This is no longer the case. So something for sure changed. Perhaps the Apple TV is now able to self diagnose the capabilities of the next input and will correct its output now?

The latest firmware is removing the "Atmos" support flag from the Dolby MAT descriptor in the input's EDID. This still allows TrueHD (also in the MAT container format), including "stealth" Atmos metadata, to pass through the Oppo as "TrueHD 7.1" audio.


But an AppleTV or XBox will no longer send MAT PCM Atmos, which is not supported by the path through the Oppo, and fall back to multi-channel (7.1) PCM audio.
Ahh that makes sense. At least I get 7.1 now instead of forcing 5.1 just to hear the audio.
weboperations is online now  
post #35453 of 38038 Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
SkyCyberguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Is Oppo shutting down or just revamping its UK website?
It has not been accessible for more than 24 hours now...

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/OPPO-Firmware.html
jong1 likes this.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
SkyCyberguy is offline  
post #35454 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 01:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
On those titles where you must rely on subs, the "easy" solution is to rip to BDMV folder. MKV subs are hit and miss, I've never seen an explanation of why that is. but it doesn't seem to matter if its HD or UHD.
Thanks, I did some digging and it looks like oppo has a problem to display subtitles correctly if there are also "forced" subtitles in the mkv file. If I use mkvtoolnix and remove these forced subtitles, then oppo display "normal" subtitles just fine.
jabbaros is offline  
post #35455 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 01:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
‘Forced’ subtitles definitely work for BDMV folder playback for HD blu-Ray. E,g Mission Impossible Rogue Nation blu-Ray. I recently checked this for myself with this movie.

I can’t verify if the same applies for ‘forced’ subs on UHD movies, haven’t investigated this yet.

If the Oppo 203 respects the forced flag on mkv playback, you shouldn’t need to select anything, the subs should be displayed automatically. (If the mkv includes the relevant PGS subtitle stream)

You can check whether a particular movie has ‘forced’ subs via the web, there are documented lists.

Firstly, check if the original movie of one of the MKVs you are trying has ‘forced’ subs.

If the original movie has ‘forced’ subs and the Oppo 203 supports the forced flag in MKVs, the subtitles should appear automatically.

Otherwise, if the original movie has separate subtitles, you would need to select subtitles and the PGS stream for the relevant subtitles would have to have been selected for inclusion in the original mkv.

If the movie has embedded subtitles, these are merged with the video and appear automatically.

Thanks, I was little bit confused at first anyway but after some searching it looks like this is really problem with "forced" subs. If I remove them via mkvtoolnix, oppo shows the other subtitles (normal) correctly
jabbaros is offline  
post #35456 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbaros View Post
Thanks, I was little bit confused at first anyway but after some searching it looks like this is really problem with "forced" subs. If I remove them via mkvtoolnix, oppo shows the other subtitles (normal) correctly

Its a shame Oppo doesn't support forced subs in MKVs, and that the presence of forced subs adversely affects the other subtitles. Hope that info is useful to others.
The forced flag in MKVs seems to be an issue with some Android players too.
Whirlpool0548 is offline  
post #35457 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,524
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpool0548 View Post
Its a shame Oppo doesn't support forced subs in MKVs, and that the presence of forced subs adversely affects the other subtitles. Hope that info is useful to others.
The forced flag in MKVs seems to be an issue with some Android players too.
I'm not aware of any 'hardware based' media player supporting the forced subs flag in any container...
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #35458 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It is for Sony displays that cannot use the original DV profile. Other displays that support DV will use TV-led, although with time some have supported both.

The "Auto" setting for that control has worked well.

-Bill
There is still a bug in the 0131 production firmware that causes my C6 to not work with Auto setting on DV processing. I must manually set to TV-led. The beta FW did not work at all, even if I manually set to TV-led manually. Oppo sent me a FW which is based on 0131 which corrects the Auto setting to work again.

---------------
Edit: I originally said player-led but meant TV-led.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.85 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110

Last edited by Patsfan123; 02-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Patsfan123 is online now  
post #35459 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,338
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
There is still a bug in the 0131 production firmware that causes my C6 to not work with Auto setting on DV processing. I must manually set to player-led. The beta FW did not work at all, even if I manually set to player-led manually. Oppo sent me a FW which is based on 0131 which corrects the Auto setting to work again.
Uh, this is with your LG C6 display? I don't believe that display is supposed to work with "player led" Dolby Vision. Auto or "tv led" would be the normal choices for that display.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #35460 of 38038 Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 10,087
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
There is still a bug in the 0131 production firmware that causes my C6 to not work with Auto setting on DV processing. I must manually set to player-led. The beta FW did not work at all, even if I manually set to player-led manually. Oppo sent me a FW which is based on 0131 which corrects the Auto setting to work again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Uh, this is with your LG C6 display? I don't believe that display is supposed to work with "player led" Dolby Vision. Auto or "tv led" would be the normal choices for that display.
--Bob
The other source of DoVi P5 is the ATV4K which, as far as I know, works with the LG x6 panels. I assumed that the output from the 203 in player-led was the same RGB encapsulated stream but it's not. As I recall I had issues with the first OPPO single stream release on my C7 but at this point both tv and player led work (I believe it was fixed by OPPO not LG).

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off