Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35851 of 37216 Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
OK I lied but that said, Panasonic has no presence in the US with their TV line.
TCL have said as recently as Jan 2019 at CES that they will have support in a future firmware update for HDR10+ on their upcoming 4K and 8K 2019 TV's (just not at launch) and they have a huge presence in the US. At-least support for HDR10+ is coming to that brand, going by the video interview with a TCL Rep at CES that I watched. Once they add HDR10+ then TCL will join Panasonic as the next TV brand to support both DV and HDR10+ on the same TV set, except TCL will introduce 8K panels this year and will have full HDMI 2.1 support and Panasonic has opted out. There are no 8K TVs in Panasonic’s 2019 line-up and none of the new TVs feature HDMI 2.1 ports. The company said that it will introduce 8K TVs when the “market is ready” but did not provide a timeline for HDMI 2.1.
Braveheart_NZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35852 of 37216 Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Member
 
blakhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
OPPO 203 2.1 speaker set up

So I’ve been trying to add my sub to my 2 channel set up. I thought, I should be able to set this up it pretty basic, YEAH RIGHT !

Can somebody please advise me how to get my .1 working. It’s driving me nuts!

SPEAKERS- B&W 702s2, B&W HTM71 S2,
OPPO UDP 203 player/pre, EMOTIVA UPA-2
TV - LG OLED65b7
blakhouse is offline  
post #35853 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 03:53 AM
Senior Member
 
smoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakhouse View Post
So I’ve been trying to add my sub to my 2 channel set up. I thought, I should be able to set this up it pretty basic, YEAH RIGHT !

Can somebody please advise me how to get my .1 working. It’s driving me nuts!
When you are in speaker configuration pick the LT/RT downmix instead of stereo. This will add your subwoofer.
galonzo likes this.
smoore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35854 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Member
 
blakhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
When you are in speaker configuration pick the LT/RT downmix instead of stereo. This will add your subwoofer.
Yes that's what I figured, However when i switch to LT/RT downmix turn subwoofer on. I get no audio from the subwoofer. Maybe there's some other option that needs to be turned on

SPEAKERS- B&W 702s2, B&W HTM71 S2,
OPPO UDP 203 player/pre, EMOTIVA UPA-2
TV - LG OLED65b7
blakhouse is offline  
post #35855 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
I have noticed an odd descriptor quirk with the HDMI Main Output Information screen whilst watching Edward Scissorhands, the original FOX Bluray release with the old MPEG-2 encode.

The DTS-HD MA 4.0 track is being output as PCM 5.0 which actually should be PCM 2.0 as it's directly connected to my Sony 75X9400C (X940C), very strange as everything is output as PCM 2.0 as it's via the tv speakers only.

Has anyone observed something similar particularly with 4.0 Lossless tracks, oddly being output as PCM 5.0?
Anyone at all? Maybe it's some early Bluray audio encoding snafu, seems strange that this earlier Edward Scissorhands bluray release's 4.0 DTS MA HD Lossless soundtrack downmixes to 5.0 PCM audio shouldn't it be 2.0 PCM as my 203 is only ever connected directly to my Sony 75X9400C?
oniiz is offline  
post #35856 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,272
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakhouse View Post
So I’ve been trying to add my sub to my 2 channel set up. I thought, I should be able to set this up it pretty basic, YEAH RIGHT !

Can somebody please advise me how to get my .1 working. It’s driving me nuts!
A side effect of selecting Stereo down mix in the Analog speaker output configuration is that the Subwoofer output gets turned off. Simply scroll to the Subwoofer and turn it back on and you'll be good to go.

Note that when playing Stereo content in this 2.1 speaker output configuration, you'll only get output to the Subwoofer if the L/R speakers are set to SMALL.
--Bob
smoore and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #35857 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,487
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
Anyone at all? Maybe it's some early Bluray audio encoding snafu, seems strange that this earlier Edward Scissorhands bluray release's 4.0 DTS MA HD Lossless soundtrack downmixes to 5.0 PCM audio shouldn't it be 2.0 PCM as my 203 is only ever connected directly to my Sony 75X9400C?
Your TV does accept 5.0 PCM thru the TV and can down-mix internally.

Per manual: https://www.sony-asia.com/electronic.../45620911M.pdf

HDMI
Audio: 5.1 channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits, Dolby Digital and DTS
galonzo likes this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
post #35858 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Member
 
blakhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
A side effect of selecting Stereo down mix in the Analog speaker output configuration is that the Subwoofer output gets turned off. Simply scroll to the Subwoofer and turn it back on and you'll be good to go.

Note that when playing Stereo content in this 2.1 speaker output configuration, you'll only get output to the Subwoofer if the L/R speakers are set to SMALL.
--Bob
Hey Bob,

So already tried setting my speakers to small , changing the set-up to l/r setting subwoofer on. I'm thinking there must be some setting that needs to be switched. I thought if might be the source so i tried both a movie and a music cd and nothing. I know the sub works as i tried it with a different system with no problems.

SPEAKERS- B&W 702s2, B&W HTM71 S2,
OPPO UDP 203 player/pre, EMOTIVA UPA-2
TV - LG OLED65b7
blakhouse is offline  
post #35859 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,272
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
^ Double check you have the Sub wire plugged into the correct output jack of the 203, and that the wire at the Sub is connected to the Sub’s “line level” input — not “speaker level”.

Test with the built in test tones in the 203.

By the way, the down mix you want for this is Stereo, not LT/RT.
—Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #35860 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Your TV does accept 5.0 PCM thru the TV and can down-mix internally.

Per manual: https://www.sony-asia.com/electronic.../45620911M.pdf

HDMI
Audio: 5.1 channel linear PCM: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, 16, 20 and 24 bits, Dolby Digital and DTS
Thanks, yes I understand all that, the issue is that typically all multi-channel audio media played back through just ordinary tv speakers is downmixed to 2.0 PCM, I was just curious why this particular bluray release is downmixing to 5.0 PCM, how is that even possible, seeing how it's only my tv's speakers, everything else is played back as 2.0 PCM which is the correct and only possible way for the 203 to interpret the signal being sent directly to the tv.
oniiz is offline  
post #35861 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Member
 
blakhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Double check you have the Sub wire plugged into the correct output jack of the 203, and that the wire at the Sub is connected to the Sub’s “line level” input — not “speaker level”.

Test with the built in test tones in the 203.

By the way, the down mix you want for this is Stereo, not LT/RT.
—Bob
Just tried the set up again seems to be working however it's really low. Does the 203 now take over bass management ?

SPEAKERS- B&W 702s2, B&W HTM71 S2,
OPPO UDP 203 player/pre, EMOTIVA UPA-2
TV - LG OLED65b7

Last edited by blakhouse; 04-05-2019 at 10:59 AM.
blakhouse is offline  
post #35862 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 7
PGS subtitles not working over smb with mkv files? Any ideas? Thanks

Sony 65A1E
Oppo 203
Denon X4200
Yiorgos759 is offline  
post #35863 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,527
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiorgos759 View Post
PGS subtitles not working over smb with mkv files? Any ideas? Thanks
Works for me. Is this something that worked for you previously then stopped?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #35864 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,053
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
@blakhouse , what else do you have for subwoofer management? I have my buttkickers hooked up to the Oppo 203, and am able to bump the volume up or down, depending on need.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #35865 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Works for me. Is this something that worked for you previously then stopped?

-Bill
Yeah. It used to work but not anymore. I have not changed anything. Same NAS same protocol same files. Only thing that changed is the firmware of the player. I do a factory reset every time i upgrade.

Sony 65A1E
Oppo 203
Denon X4200
Yiorgos759 is offline  
post #35866 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
yanksno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So just put in my brand new Aquaman 4K disc and the picture was all messed up. Not happening on any other 4K discs, so think it's specific to the Aquaman disc. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Since it's not the other 4K discs, is it the player? I did update it to the newest firmware. Attached a pic, hopefully you guys can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	936.7 KB
ID:	2549538  
jimbo88 and SinGA like this.
yanksno1 is offline  
post #35867 of 37216 Old 04-05-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wjboshart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
So just put in my brand new Aquaman 4K disc and the picture was all messed up. Not happening on any other 4K discs, so think it's specific to the Aquaman disc. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Since it's not the other 4K discs, is it the player? I did update it to the newest firmware. Attached a pic, hopefully you guys can help.


Sign of a handshake issue. Turn off tv and player then turn back on. Had it happen consistently with inception


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wjboshart is offline  
post #35868 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Member
 
deepsneaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany, Munich area
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have an Oppo 103d which I like a lot. But since I will soon move to an Sony 695ES (570ES) projector and it‘s really hard to find 203s at reasonable prices: Which player would you get as an alternative to the Oppo 203?

Since I have a 21:9 screen - is there any other
player that can fit a 16:9 disc menu into a 21:9 screen?


Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
deepsneaker is offline  
post #35869 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
I currently have an Oppo 103d which I like a lot. But since I will soon move to an Sony 695ES (570ES) projector and it‘s really hard to find 203s at reasonable prices: Which player would you get as an alternative to the Oppo 203?

Since I have a 21:9 screen - is there any other
player that can fit a 16:9 disc menu into a 21:9 screen?


Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
If it's just movies, most of the projector folks go with Panasonic. If it's movies + SACD/DVD-A, then the Pioneer.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #35870 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
yanksno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Sign of a handshake issue. Turn off tv and player then turn back on. Had it happen consistently with inception


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's def what it was. Tried it again this morning switching over from DirecTV input (on the TV) to the blu-ray player and the same thing happened. Turned it off from the blu-ray input and turned it back on directly to it and it then worked. Weird, but I'll take the win!
RagtopFE likes this.
yanksno1 is offline  
post #35871 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,272
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakhouse View Post
Just tried the set up again seems to be working however it's really low. Does the 203 now take over bass management ?
Odds are you’ve failed to apply the correct Subwoofer Boost (using volume knob on Sub itself). With your speakers set to Small, that’s +15dB.

For details check out a post I made on about page 10 of the OPPO 205 Owners thread: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output.
—Bob
bguzman and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #35872 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
yanksno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, spoke too soon. After seeing Shazam! was going to try and watch this disc. While I got it to work once, haven't been able to again. Keep trying to turn everything off, turning on in different order and can't get it going without the handshake issue. Something when it loads the disc, cause I'll see the Oppo menu and that looks fine when it finally loads the disc then the handshake issues happen.
jimbo88 and SinGA like this.
yanksno1 is offline  
post #35873 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,714
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked: 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
Well, spoke too soon. After seeing Shazam! was going to try and watch this disc. While I got it to work once, haven't been able to again. Keep trying to turn everything off, turning on in different order and can't get it going without the handshake issue. Something when it loads the disc, cause I'll see the Oppo menu and that looks fine when it finally loads the disc then the handshake issues happen.
Time to start swapping in new HDMI cables.
galonzo likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #35874 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Odds are you’ve failed to apply the correct Subwoofer Boost (using volume knob on Sub itself). With your speakers set to Small, that’s +15dB.

For details check out a post I made on about page 10 of the OPPO 205 Owners thread: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output.
—Bob
I just read the above post and thank you very much. I’ve been setting up the analog outs from Oppo players since the 970 days and have had satisfactory results, usually by trial and error, and this one post is the step by step “go to” post I have been waiting for. How do you fit that giant brain into that tiny avatar?
Bob Pariseau and RagtopFE like this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
bguzman is offline  
post #35875 of 37216 Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,237
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
I want to add our Roku Ultra to the switch attached to our 203's HDMI IN port. The switch is 4:1 and has the OPPO 93 (for ISO), Comcast Xfinity box, and Roku 3 attached and mostly working fine (see below). The 203's firmware is the latest (UDP20X-65-0131) and the HDMI IN spec is set to 1080p. What should I set the HDMI IN spec to if I want the OPPO to upscale everything below 2160p.

One additional issue is that the Roku 3 started distorting the correct aspect ratio probably after I upgraded the firmware. Is that a problem that I should check with OPPO support about? The Roku Ultra is working fine, including aspect ratios. It is directly connected to our 4k AVR. The TV is HDR and DV capable (Visio PQ).

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #35876 of 37216 Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsneaker View Post
I currently have an Oppo 103d which I like a lot. But since I will soon move to an Sony 695ES (570ES) projector and it‘s really hard to find 203s at reasonable prices: Which player would you get as an alternative to the Oppo 203?

Since I have a 21:9 screen - is there any other
player that can fit a 16:9 disc menu into a 21:9 screen?


Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk
Until you mentioned the requirement to do 21:9 I was going to suggest the Panasonic 820. With its tone mapping it’s the current favorite in the projector crowd but unfortunately it does not do 21:9. No other player I can think of other than the current Oppos will do that that I’m aware of.
galonzo likes this.

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #35877 of 37216 Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 AM
Member
 
gymnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Spain
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
So just put in my brand new Aquaman 4K disc and the picture was all messed up. Not happening on any other 4K discs, so think it's specific to the Aquaman disc. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Since it's not the other 4K discs, is it the player? I did update it to the newest firmware. Attached a pic, hopefully you guys can help.
Choose Dolby Vision with TV-led option in the menu.
giomania and jong1 like this.

LG OLED 55C8 // Oppo UDP-203 // Yamaha RX-V775 // Magnat Supreme
gymnos is offline  
post #35878 of 37216 Old 04-07-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Until you mentioned the requirement to do 21:9 I was going to suggest the Panasonic 820. With its tone mapping it’s the current favorite in the projector crowd but unfortunately it does not do 21:9. No other player I can think of other than the current Oppos will do that that I’m aware of.
I thought I had read that the Oppo's 21:9 modes were only of use if you were using an A lens? Are the Oppo's 21:9 modes of some value if you have a 21:9 projector setup w/o lens and use the zoom method on your PJ?
pkov likes this.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #35879 of 37216 Old 04-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,272
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I thought I had read that the Oppo's 21:9 modes were only of use if you were using an A lens? Are the Oppo's 21:9 modes of some value if you have a 21:9 projector setup w/o lens and use the zoom method on your PJ?
Yes. There are 3 different 21:9 modes you can choose between according to the setup you are using in your projector. In addition, the Zoom button on the remote is used with these 21:9 modes to specify whether the content you are playing at the moment is 16:9 or 21:9.

It is easier to just try the modes and see what works best in your setup than to describe what they are doing in detail. Use a calibration disc chart which shows 21:9 image markers (2.35 aspect ratio) inside a 16:9 frame to check.

Using the player’s 21:9 modes is preferable as it makes sure the players own on-screen menus and such are also adjusted to remain visible.
--Bob
galonzo likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 04-07-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #35880 of 37216 Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,272
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5828 Post(s)
Liked: 8303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
I just read the above post and thank you very much. I’ve been setting up the analog outs from Oppo players since the 970 days and have had satisfactory results, usually by trial and error, and this one post is the step by step “go to” post I have been waiting for. How do you fit that giant brain into that tiny avatar?
We here at Bob Pariseau thank you for your kind words! (Our Avatar is much bigger in real life.)
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off