Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279180Likes

post #36151 of 37256 Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
1. I am noticing a quick hickup in motion evey so often since I started using the Oppo. Its like the video is trying to catch for a quick second. Happens on 4K discs and files. Any motion settings in the player that can remedy this?

Any help is appreciated.
What are the Extended Info screens showing on the Oppo (Long press on Display Button and scroll down each page)?

Upload screen shots of the display info when the player is doing this - it is likely you have a setting whereby a frame rate conversion is causing a problem.
Hope these pics work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jf_...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oBr...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g_K...w?usp=drivesdk

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36152 of 37256 Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So here's a thing:

For a few months I've been streaming 16 bit FLAC files through the Oppo 203 from my Dell laptop running Oshare Server recommended by Oppo. It's incredibly sluggish most of the time, with artwork slow to load, music files slow to start and roughly 2-3 second gaps between every single track.

A few nights ago I decided randomly to steam from the same source directly through my Denon 4200 receiver. Imagine my surprise when playback was instant and there are no gaps between tracks. It's genuinely gapless! There's no artwork displayed and navigation is crude but playback is perfect.

How come the Oppo struggles so much with something the Denon can evidently do in its sleep?
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 05-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #36153 of 37256 Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 566
IS anybody having issues with the new release UHD Disc Black Hawk Down? First movie I have had an issue with, something tells me it the disc authoring and not the player but I thought I would find out if anybody else was having issues. Somebody indicated on Ralphs UHD review there were audio hiccups and that is what I experienced throughout the whole movie on the extended version. I have not watched the theatrical release yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36154 of 37256 Old 05-07-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
IS anybody having issues with the new release UHD Disc Black Hawk Down? First movie I have had an issue with, something tells me it the disc authoring and not the player but I thought I would find out if anybody else was having issues. Somebody indicated on Ralphs UHD review there were audio hiccups and that is what I experienced throughout the whole movie on the extended version. I have not watched the theatrical release yet.
The disc authoring is FUBAR. You can try a vigorous disc cleaning and see if it helps, but keep expectations low. Plays very nicely when ripped to HDD though. (full disc rip)
giomania and Postmoderndesign like this.
post #36155 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
How come the Oppo struggles so much with something the Denon can evidently do in its sleep?
There's no data here to offer informed guesses. Wireless vs wired? Is the path the bits follow identical in both cases up to the end?
post #36156 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
I watched the extended cut last night on my Panasonic 900 UHD Blu-ray player without any problems at all, so if it's an authoring issue, it seems like at least this player (first generation Panasonic UHD player from August 2016!) can handle it. I didn't try it on either my Oppo 203 or 205 player. Maybe Oppo needs to address this in a firmware update.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by LRS3; 05-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #36157 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Try Custom Resolution set to UHD 60hz.... It cured all the demons for me.... And we have the same Setup. 😀
post #36158 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
I played the theatrical version with no problems. If after a quick cleaning your disc still acts up, it's probably a defective disc.

galonzo likes this.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #36159 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Yes, no problem. No need to take it out for firmware updates, just save the firmware on disc.

Im pretty sure he's using it, not just "updating the firmware" dont get me wrong, thats 100% ok. This just sounded like a craigslist ad with someone saying "brand new, only took out of the box to see if it works" lol
post #36160 of 37256 Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Try Custom Resolution set to UHD 60hz.... It cured all the demons for me.... And we have the same Setup. 😀
But that forces the player to insert 3:2 pulldown frame repeats when playing back 24fps movies. So instead of smooth motion you get judder.
galonzo, wl1 and gymnos like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #36161 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
But that forces the player to insert 3:2 pulldown frame repeats when playing back 24fps movies. So instead of smooth motion you get judder.
Oh, I haven't really noticed any judder.... Maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it.. Running UHD 60hz seems to be working 100% better for me than Auto.. I can't explain it but something within this last update is just not right.. I'm waiting for the next update to see if anything changes.. I feel Auto resolution is a tad buggy.. I also hope the next update will bring us a Dolby Vision "Off" setting instead of having to use the forced / reset method. 🤔

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 05-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #36162 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Oh, I haven't really noticed any judder.... Maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it..
IMHO one gets judder either way (judder being a jerky motion from one frame to the next) -- but in 24 the frames are evenly spaced, while with 3:2 pulldown it's cycling slow/fast. Much more annoying especially on smooth camera pans. 24p with low frame interpolation (JVC CMD) the best remedy for judder I have seen without inducing "soap opera effect".
mikela likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #36163 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Help needed. I am looking to make my US version Oppo 203 region free for bluray. I know "NOTHING" about doing so and have just begun my research. In looking online, I am finding multiple opinions / options / warnings.

I have seen people saying to download jailbreak software onto a disc and load that on the oppo, then also have found the below link to a website for a modification to make inside the unit.

http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=31

Also, I have read someone warn that once this modification is made, you're opening up your player if it's on a home network for hackers.

Opinions / knowledge / help needed!!

1. The kit from the link above, anyone used this? I have read some reviews on other sites and looks easy enough. Looks like this comes from Europe though, is there one state side I am not finding that is available I am not finding?

2. What's the difference between jailbbreaking a unit and making a unit region free (or is that the same thing)? STOP LAUGHING NOW!!!

3. Hackers having access to my network? If I make the unit region free with this modification kit, does this really open up the door?

Thanks for any and all help!!!
post #36164 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4648 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post
Help needed. I am looking to make my US version Oppo 203 region free for bluray. I know "NOTHING" about doing so and have just begun my research. In looking online, I am finding multiple opinions / options / warnings.

I have seen people saying to download jailbreak software onto a disc and load that on the oppo, then also have found the below link to a website for a modification to make inside the unit.

Also, I have read someone warn that once this modification is made, you're opening up your player if it's on a home network for hackers.

1. The kit from the link above, anyone used this? I have read some reviews on other sites and looks easy enough. Looks like this comes from Europe though, is there one state side I am not finding that is available I am not finding?

2. What's the difference between jailbbreaking a unit and making a unit region free (or is that the same thing)? STOP LAUGHING NOW!!!

3. Hackers having access to my network? If I make the unit region free with this modification kit, does this really open up the door?

The hardware mods have been used for years and people generally report good results.

Jailbreak firmware: I would not trust it. I have not heard of network security issues, but I would trust the hardware mods before someone's hacked firmware.

-Bill
gwsat, mbroadus and galonzo like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #36165 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Quote:
Help needed. I am looking to make my US version Oppo 203 region free for bluray. I know "NOTHING" about doing so and have just begun my research.
Avoid the hacked firmware, its not worth the trouble and doesn't actually work that well.
There are several kits you can use. The most popular can be installed externally or internally and functions the same either way. I use and recommend the ones sold by AVSDigital on eBay.
Note that while it says its for the earlier players, it works on all of them and is 1/2 the cost of most others. For external use you just plug it into the serial and USB ports and use a button press code to change regions. Your player then behaves as though its a "region B" player, "region A" or whatever. DVD region free is automatic and requires no user input.
gwsat and galonzo like this.
post #36166 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8320
Quote:

"Jailbreaking" a player involves installing hacked firmware in the player. I would not recommend this approach.

Region locking exists for Blu-ray discs and for SD-DVD discs. Disc licensing prohibited OPPO from selling the players already set up for Region Free operation. The new UHD (4K) discs are not Region locked, so no problem for those, as is, on your OPPO 203.

If your only concern is making the player Region Free for SD-DVD discs, you can do that quite easily by running a specially constructed disc, once, in the player which alters a setting. This is called the SuperDisc, and if you know enough to "burn" a disc yourself on your computer you can do it for free. This is quite safe. It was necessary for OPPO to support this because some parts of the world require that a buyer be able to make the player Region Free for SD-DVD discs.

If you want Region Free for Blu-ray, however, you will need to install a 3rd part hardware modification. These come both in a form that installs inside the chassis of the player and in a form that plugs into a USB socket on the back of the player. These cost money. They've been around for quite some time from different 3rd party providers, and should be pretty problem free. It was common for dealers in Europe, for example, to include one of these when selling a player at retail. The bluraychip product you spotted is a commonly used example.

For more info on this see Bill's FAQ page for Region Free:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-modifications

--Bob
galonzo and gymnos like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #36167 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for all replies!!!
post #36168 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8320
^ If we tell you three times, it MUST be so!

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #36169 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

I have been using https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-10...53.m2749.l2649

Even though it doesn't say Oppo-UDP-203 it has worked fine for me on the several (3) Blu-rays that are not Region A. Had it for almost 2 years.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #36170 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked: 3659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Avoid the hacked firmware, its not worth the trouble and doesn't actually work that well.
There are several kits you can use. The most popular can be installed externally or internally and functions the same either way. I use and recommend the ones sold by AVSDigital on eBay.
Note that while it says its for the earlier players, it works on all of them and is 1/2 the cost of most others. For external use you just plug it into the serial and USB ports and use a button press code to change regions. Your player then behaves as though its a "region B" player, "region A" or whatever. DVD region free is automatic and requires no user input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
I have been using https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-BDP-10...53.m2749.l2649

Even though it doesn't say Oppo-UDP-203 it has worked fine for me on the several (3) Blu-rays that are not Region A. Had it for almost 2 years.
I'll third the recommendation for this product, it's very reasonably priced and works perfectly.
galonzo likes this.
post #36171 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I had not seen the AVSDigital device that others mentioned, but simply wanted to say that I have several of the bluraychip.dk widgets, and they also work just fine. You do need to remove the cover (which is trivial) to install it, but you simply plug the device into a specific, unused port on the inside of the player. FWIW, it then makes the player permanently region free for DVDs, but you have to "toggle" the setting for BluRays, using your OPPO remote, and there is a power/cycle then required to complete that region change. I've never had any problem with mine, and to my knowledge it is not interacting with any aspect of the networking hardware, so I see no way that it is lowering the security posture of the OPPO.
post #36172 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I will also mention that none of the hardware region-free mods have ever been affected by or affected any firmware updates to any Oppo player in which they are installed. So anyone using one of these won't have to worry about that.

post #36173 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I had not seen the AVSDigital device that others mentioned, but simply wanted to say that I have several of the bluraychip.dk widgets, and they also work just fine. You do need to remove the cover (which is trivial) to install it, but you simply plug the device into a specific, unused port on the inside of the player. FWIW, it then makes the player permanently region free for DVDs, but you have to "toggle" the setting for BluRays, using your OPPO remote, and there is a power/cycle then required to complete that region change. I've never had any problem with mine, and to my knowledge it is not interacting with any aspect of the networking hardware, so I see no way that it is lowering the security posture of the OPPO.
I'm also using the one from bluraychip.dk.... I'll 2nd that.. Highly recommend. 👍🏻

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 05-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #36174 of 37256 Old 05-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I had never heard of AVS Digital but I do own a couple of JVB Digital all regions hardware mods. The first was for my old 103 and the most recent was for my 203. Both have performed flawlessly.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #36175 of 37256 Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
There's no data here to offer informed guesses. Wireless vs wired? Is the path the bits follow identical in both cases up to the end?
Wireless via same network. Can't tell you anything about bit paths but I assume the path is identical. The receiver is simply on a higher shelf. Network method and distance the same.

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 05-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #36176 of 37256 Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
The receiver is simply on a higher shelf.
If I turn one of my access points a quarter turn or raise or lower it 6 inches the wireless network goes to ****.

Being on a higher shelf may be all it took.
post #36177 of 37256 Old 05-11-2019, 01:06 AM

Liked: 27
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me in simple terms why the 203 cannot play 32-bit WAV files if it has a 32-bit DAC (AKM 4458 8ch 32bit DAC)?

thanks

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Last edited by nakkiran; 05-11-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #36178 of 37256 Old 05-11-2019, 02:06 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
I got it figured out with NFS (couldn't get SMB to work). Thank you for the help.

I just setup NFS and it works great, except the share doesn't show the computer name but the IP address - is there a way to change this?

Also, I've disabled SMB on the computer, but the SMB share still shows up on the Oppo!?

thanks

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Last edited by nakkiran; 05-11-2019 at 02:39 AM.
post #36179 of 37256 Old 05-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
I just setup NFS and it works great, except the share doesn't show the computer name but the IP address - is there a way to change this?

Also, I've disabled SMB on the computer, but the SMB share still shows up on the Oppo!?

thanks

Mine shows up as the IP address too. I don't know how to change that, but it doesn't bother me.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
post #36180 of 37256 Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a crazy thing.

We were using the OPPO to play movies over NFS. But the file names did not match the movie! Instead of Pride & Prejudice we got Frost the Snowman (now there's a shock! ;-0 ). We ended up laughing hysterically while playing movie roulette/name that film.

Over and over again. I think my OPPO may have lost its mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page