Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279069Likes

post #36361 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
93 can play BDISO

No, it can't. Unless is modified with a custom firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36362 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1602 View Post
How did you get 12-bit when the codec does not support it?
Actually... It is possible to create 12-bit HEVC 4:2:0 encodes but it's pretty pointless as (as far as I know), there's no official standardisation for it - yet.

Without official standardisation, there are no profile sets, which means no hardware playback device (decoding chip-set) support.
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #36363 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
No, it can't. Unless is modified with a custom firmware.
This has become lost in the mists of time, but there was a 5-month period when the official firmware did support .iso: Are .iso files or Blu-ray or DVD directory structures supported on external media?

It was a huge story at the time; some people stayed on the old firmware so as to keep the capability.

-Bill
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36364 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I'm currently in the market for a new display and I believe I read that the 203 was having problems with Dolby Vision or HDR 10 or HDR 10+? Or was this specific to certain Sony or LG model displays?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #36365 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new display and I believe I read that the 203 was having problems with Dolby Vision or HDR 10 or HDR 10+? Or was this specific to certain Sony or LG model displays?

Not sure what the context for what you heard is (and context is everything). I can tell you that I've played plenty of DV disks and content through the HDMI input (as pass through) and have had no problem.

Sony caused a stir by dealing with Dolby Labs and getting a "light" or "Sony" version of DV. The full specification requires the display to fully decode the DV data and display it. Sony did not want to do that, so the new version was born, which required the source device to do some of the decoding and send the partially digested data to the Sony screens to finish processing.

This was something new, which the source device manufacturers (like OPPO) were not warned about. If they wanted to be used with Sony displays, they had to address this. I believe OPPO was the first if not one of the first to implement and support the new standard and carry the load for Sony's displays.

As far as I can see, OPPO has been a clear leader in dealing with and providing support for DV in its different incarnations, and has also dropped in HDR10+ support as well.

Maybe what you heard was the chatter when this new requirement was dropped and OPPO's response to it. Regular, full specification DV has worked from the start (please correct if I'm wrong).
galonzo and gymnos like this.
post #36366 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@hernanu - I believe that is what I heard...thank you for clarifying.
hernanu likes this.

post #36367 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Long-time audiophile/videophile downsized to apartment to be closer to work. So now instead of our LG OLED 65", Oppo 205, Anthem, and Martin Logans, we have just the LG, an Oppo 203, and a Roku plugged into the Oppo.

The video is incredible, but the audio, not so much. I mean, the LG *tries* to make good sound, but it can't really do much with the teeny speakers in its stand/soundbar. Dialogue is hard to hear, kind of muffled.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Moving the MLs, Oppo 205, and Anthem to the apartment isn't possible, because 1) our cats (formerly exiled to one floor of the house) would be able to access, and shred, the MLs, 2) the noise would annoy neighbors, and 3) not enough space.

The Oppo has two HDMI outputs. One currently goes to the LG. The other is available to plug into <something> if I could figure out what the something should be.

Are there any soundbars that accept HDMI in without it being ARC, and without assuming it should be passed to the TV?

Are any of the soundbars any good?

I can get an inexpensive A/V receiver, but that's a slipperly slope because then of course we'd need speakers, and etc.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit

Last edited by jimshowalter; 05-30-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #36368 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
This has become lost in the mists of time, but there was a 5-month period when the official firmware did support .iso: Are .iso files or Blu-ray or DVD directory structures supported on external media?

It was a huge story at the time; some people stayed on the old firmware so as to keep the capability.

-Bill
While true, this "feature" isn't that useful(especially when compared to a 203) - it is limited to USB storage with MBR partitioned disks - i.e. less than 2TB capacity.

Edit: maybe, "as useful as it sounds" is better wording...
galonzo likes this.
post #36369 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Are there any soundbars that accept HDMI in without it being ARC, and without assuming it should be passed to the TV?

I can get an inexpensive A/V receiver, but that's a slipperly slope because then of course we'd need speakers, and etc.
The GoldenEar soundbar is very good!! GoldenEar SuperCinema

post #36370 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:

There is a soundbar forum, with a "Help Me Choose" sticky at the top: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #36371 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Long-time audiophile/videophile downsized to apartment to be closer to work. So now instead of our LG OLED 65", Oppo 205, Anthem, and Martin Logans, we have just the LG, an Oppo 203, and a Roku plugged into the Oppo.

The video is incredible, but the audio, not so much. I mean, the LG *tries* to make good sound, but it can't really do much with the teeny speakers in its stand/soundbar. Dialogue is hard to hear, kind of muffled.

Moving the MLs, Oppo 205, and Anthem to the apartment isn't possible, because 1) our cats (formerly exiled to one floor of the house) would be able to access, and shred, the MLs, 2) the noise would annoy neighbors, and 3) not enough space.

The Oppo has two HDMI outputs. One currently goes to the LG. The other is available to plug into <something> if I could figure out what the something should be.
Here's a radical idea: contemplate a possible HEADPHONE SOLUTION, involving the Smyth Realiser A8 (or sometime in the next few months probably the yet-to-be-delivered Realiser A16 which has been in development for several years and is now in final Dolby re-testing which must be passed before shipping can begin).

The Realiser is a virtual-surround processor that "duplicates" the sound of a multi-channel multi-speaker listening environment through high-quality stereo headphones (e.g. Stax SR-009/SRM-007tii). You perform a "calibration" (with special microphones inserted in each ear) that "measures" how you (and your ears, brain, and skull) hear the sound of the listening environment, taking into account the physical characteristics of the room (i.e. flooring, wall covering and speaker baffles, ceiling, distance and angles of the speakers in front of and all around you, etc.) as well as the acoustic characteristics of the speakers and related electronics. The entire result is "measured" by the microphones and digitized into a mathematical function (named PRIR) stored in the processor. Then, a second "measurement" is taken with you wearing the headphones you will be listening through, which reflects the capabilities of the headphones and headphone amp. Again, this is also digitized into a mathematical function (named HPEQ) and also stored in the processor.

When you then listen through these headphones/amp to any new multi-channel content fed through the processor, the PRIR and HPEQ are combined and used "in reverse" so that even though you are listening to stereo sound through your stereo headphones/amp, you actually do believe you are listening to those very same physical speakers that were in the listening environment you "measured" into that PRIR. You will believe you are in the very same chair in that very same room, surrounded by those exact same speakers exactly where they were at the time... but you're now listening to completely new source audio content. The sound of this new content through the headphones actually does "duplicate" how that same content would truly sound if you were hearing it "for real" sitting in that room and listening to the sound as played from the real loudspeakers.

You have to hear it for yourself with a demonstration, in order to believe it. So, you could "measure" the sound of your MLs in your original real listening environment. And you could "take that sound with you" into your apartment, listening to new content there... but through high-end stereo headphones. No speakers to tempt the cats, or bother the neighbors. Just you with your headphones on, listening to the same sound as would have been heard through your MLs.

There is a post of mine in this very thread, from back in May of 2018, explaining my own setup.

There are threads on AVSForum for both A8 and the upcoming A16.

There is a master thread on Head-Fi Forum for both A8 and the upcoming A16.

There is a website for Smyth-Research.

Just a thought. Not cheap, but well worth it.

I too cannot have real loudspeakers in my 3rd-floor condo, because of the neighbors. I've been watching my Panny 65VT50 (originally a Sony 34XBR960) and enjoying the multi-channel sound of HDTV and DVD/BDMV through a Realiser A8 and my 1995vintage Stax SR-Omega headphone and SRM-T1S amp ever since April 2009. In fact I own serial #0001 of the A8! And I also own a second A8, matched with a Stax SR-009 headphone and SRM-007tii amp for my 55" LG OLED B7 setup, fed through UDP-203.

My PRIRs (actually one for DD5.1 and a second for DD7.1) were "measured" back in 2009 here in Los Angeles, at AIX Studios which had a fabulous sound mixing room. In theory you can have any number of PRIRs (each measured in a different listening enviornment) and HPEQs (if you had multiple headphones/amps), kind of like a "library" of sound-playback digital filters. When you select any PRIR and listen through it, it's just like you're listening to sound in that original listening environment with your real ears.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #36372 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
I think color depth doesn't work that way. Can you provide a source where it specifically state as such?
It looks apparently 10-bits of data in the source is the hard limit of codec. There's no adding in color depth.
I'm just extrapolating from the Dolby document you linked to and trying to remember from a Dolby Vision session I attended years ago at Dolby's London office.

I do think you're getting too hung up on the bit-depth of the codec thing. It doesn't matter if the limit of a single HEVC codec is 10 bits, because we're talking about combining data from a 10-bit base layer and a separate expansion layer. The two are combined together in hardware.

Edited to add: Thinking about this a bit more and the note in the document about the ratio of base to expansion layer is 1:1/4, I think the way it works is that there's a 10-bit HEVC HDR10 base layer (for compatibility with non-DV players) and another 10-bit HEVC expansion layer which occupies a quarter of the size of the base layer. So, if you had a 40GB base layer, you would have a 10GB expansion layer. These two layers are combined together at hardware level to form a 12-bit DV signal.
giomania likes this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 05-30-2019 at 11:26 PM.
post #36373 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Kind of depends on your budget. Good soundbars usually cost good money. A home theater in a box might be another option. Just an example : https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-au...?skuId=6336504

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #36374 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So I put my 203 back in the box to give it a rest and have a setup of UB9000 and X1000ES and I am having Oppo player withdraw for this model after a month. I tried to see if I could go without my 203 and nothing beats it really. Just going to ride with the 203 and UB9000 going forward even if I was thinking of parting with the Oppo but not now. I really was hoping I wouldn't miss it so much but I did. It bites that Oppo doesn't make quality disc players anymore. Anyway long story short even the UB9000 at least for me couldn't replace the 203, I was hoping but nope. I think the UB9000 is a spectacular player (except no SACD, DVDaudio playback) but the 203 is just such a little gem of a player. Anyone thinking of selling theirs better think it over a little I am glad I tested it out to see if I wouldn't miss mine.
post #36375 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
So I put my 203 back in the box to give it a rest and have a setup of UB9000 and X1000ES and I am having Oppo player withdraw for this model after a month. I tried to see if I could go without my 203 and nothing beats it really. Just going to ride with the 203 and UB9000 going forward even if I was thinking of parting with the Oppo but not now. I really was hoping I wouldn't miss it so much but I did. It bites that Oppo doesn't make quality disc players anymore. Anyway long story short even the UB9000 at least for me couldn't replace the 203, I was hoping but nope. I think the UB9000 is a spectacular player (except no SACD, DVDaudio playback) but the 203 is just such a little gem of a player. Anyone thinking of selling theirs better think it over a little I am glad I tested it out to see if I wouldn't miss mine.

What pulled you back in? Network capabilities, picture quality,...?
post #36376 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
Quote:

What pulled you back in? Network capabilities, picture quality,...?
Exactly. I just ordered a UB9000 and getting ready to sell my 203.

I mainly need it for UHD discs and the tone mapping features (JVC projector)
post #36377 of 37079 Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 PM

Ease of use, picture quality, capable of playing anything you throw at it. I love the build quality, it's not as good as the UB9000 but close.

I just decided to go ahead and use both players since I was having Oppo withdraw. I like the setup, the UB9000 though has the best picture quality.

I was originally planning to sell the 203 but just decided I would have sellers remorse really bad so hooked it back up and I am happy it's back.

Thought I would not miss it with the UB9000 but I was wrong. Just saying anyone thinking of selling the 203 just make sure you will never want to use it again and your good.

Not the case with me, just missed using it really bad.
galonzo likes this.
post #36378 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 02:47 AM

Liked: 18
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
I'm just extrapolating from the Dolby document you linked to and trying to remember from a Dolby Vision session I attended years ago at Dolby's London office.

I do think you're getting too hung up on the bit-depth of the codec thing. It doesn't matter if the limit of a single HEVC codec is 10 bits, because we're talking about combining data from a 10-bit base layer and a separate expansion layer. The two are combined together in hardware.

Edited to add: Thinking about this a bit more and the note in the document about the ratio of base to expansion layer is 1:1/4, I think the way it works is that there's a 10-bit HEVC HDR10 base layer (for compatibility with non-DV players) and another 10-bit HEVC expansion layer which occupies a quarter of the size of the base layer. So, if you had a 40GB base layer, you would have a 10GB expansion layer. These two layers are combined together at hardware level to form a 12-bit DV signal.
Understood. I'm not hung up on the color depth. I am just trying to find out if DV is 12-bit.

DV enhancement layers have two types. MEL and FEL. I am guessing most of DV blurays are MEL by ripping/demuxing .m2ts into .hevc several of them and comparing hevc file sizes of base layer and enhancement layer. By looking at demuxed file sizes, most of them looks too small to contain any extra color depth data. (Pure speculation on my part).

Apple 4K iTunes streaming and Netflix streaming use DV Profile 5 which is single layer. And Apple uses H.265 HEVC Main 10 YUV420 10-bit. This is documented on Apple's developer support pdf.

That being said, also DV does not require a dedicated hardware. Dedicated chipset requirement was in early days of DV.
So, we can rule out chipset doing any magic creating 12-bit.

So, 10-bit + 10-bit can equal to 12-bit? Even though the source files are graded/encoded into 10-bit due to codec limitation? If yes, how? How can a lost color depth be recovered from a lossy codec? (I said lost assuming 12-bit is used in editing process and transcoded into 10-bit in encoding stage).

And iTunes 4K DV and Netflix DV are in 10-bit while 4k bluray discs are in 12-bit?
post #36379 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
That being said, also DV does not require a dedicated hardware. Dedicated chipset requirement was in early days of DV.
So, we can rule out chipset doing any magic creating 12-bit.

And iTunes 4K DV and Netflix DV are in 10-bit while 4k bluray discs are in 12-bit?

I think that not all DV is 12-bit, and some services/devices are taking advantage of the looser requirements. Just like streaming services cannot provide lossless audio due to bandwidth constraints (they use lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

Most people can’t tell the difference between the “lesser” DV and lossy audio.

But we are not most people, are we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
galonzo likes this.
post #36380 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 05:04 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I think that not all DV is 12-bit, and some services/devices are taking advantage of the looser requirements. Just like streaming services cannot provide lossless audio due to bandwidth constraints (they use lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

Most people can’t tell the difference between the “lesser” DV and lossy audio.

But we are not most people, are we?

Well let's not derail the discussion by bringing audio here. TrueHD + Atmos, lossy & lossless audio codec and their differences being audible or not is different subject.

Also, question of differences/improvement of 12-bit color being visible in currently available 10-bit consumer panel is laughable. But this is not something I care either.

It seems no one knows for sure if DV on 4k bluray disc is 12-bit or 10-bit.
It's beyond me how 10-bit data in two different streams in a lossy codec can be combined to construct a 12-bit data. Lost data is not retrievable, only interpolatable.
Also, 12-bit of data is awful lot to distribute. The difference in file size (HDR10 vs DV) is too small to accommodate this.
post #36381 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ease of use, picture quality, capable of playing anything you throw at it. I love the build quality, it's not as good as the UB9000 but close.

I just decided to go ahead and use both players since I was having Oppo withdraw. I like the setup, the UB9000 though has the best picture quality.

I was originally planning to sell the 203 but just decided I would have sellers remorse really bad so hooked it back up and I am happy it's back.

Thought I would not miss it with the UB9000 but I was wrong. Just saying anyone thinking of selling the 203 just make sure you will never want to use it again and your good.

I sold my 203 and had sellers remorse and ended up buying another 203 from a friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lujan, galonzo and naustin like this.

post #36382 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

How much better PQ? I have two Oppo 203's and I love them. Lately I've been thinking about getting the UB9000 just to see what's all the fuzz about the PQ but I've been holding back as I'm very happy with my Oppo. I just don't think UB9000 PQ could be that much better.
post #36383 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
I have punched the UB820 twice and and have returned it both times within a week. The first time it was the remote that did it. I must have hit the Netflix button two dozen times. The second time I realized just how important the excellent network playback is to me. I guess I should have realized my feelings for Oppo players since I still use an 83 in one of my systems.
galonzo likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #36384 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I was going to sell my oppo 203 as well after buying the ub820 but i ended up keeping it. I use the ub820 for hdr-10 and regular b.r. I use the oppo for region free playback with b.r.'s and for DV.
post #36385 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
I was going to sell my oppo 203 as well after buying the ub820 but i ended up keeping it. I use the ub820 for hdr-10 and regular b.r. I use the oppo for region free playback with b.r.'s and for DV.
Yeah, I've kept my 203s because they are universal players and the new players that I've seen coming out lately aren't.
SimpleTheater, galonzo and gymnos like this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #36386 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
When I got my new Panny 820, there was no way that my Oppo-203 was going anywhere. The 820, with its HDR Optimizer, is a great disc spinner for HDR10 movies (for Dolby Vision and up-scaling 1080P content the 820 and 203 are about even) but nothing beats the 203 when it comes to playing video files off an external hard drive or a DLNA server. It can play almost any kind of video/audio combination that you can throw at while the Panny has some significant limitations (can't play lossless or E-AC3 audio and has trouble with some MP4s and AVIs). So the two players happily co-exist on the second shelf of my AV stand.
bferbrache, galonzo and pappaduke like this.
post #36387 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I sold my 203 and had sellers remorse and ended up buying another 203 from a friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear I am not the only one and I can see by other posts in this thread others also prize their 203 and would have trouble parting with it. If I did sell it I would have did the same as you bought it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
How much better PQ? I have two Oppo 203's and I love them. Lately I've been thinking about getting the UB9000 just to see what's all the fuzz about the PQ but I've been holding back as I'm very happy with my Oppo. I just don't think UB9000 PQ could be that much better.

My 2 cents.

Panasonic UB9000:

UHD picture: 5
BD picture: 5
DVD picture: 4.5
Audio playback (CD): 3.5
Audio playback UHD,BD,DVD: 5

Oppo 203:
UHD picture: 5
BD picture: 5
DVD picture: 4.5
Audio playback: 5

To me both machines come very close in performance but the Panasonic has the HDR optimizer, just rating standard performance out of the box. The Oppo is more of the universal player it will play everything you throw it's way.

To me it just made the most sense to keep both machines and use both even if performance levels are very similar the quality and feel of each machine is unique. The Oppo 203 has a really ease of use it's a breeze thing going for it and the UB9000 is not hard to use but it didn't have the 203's ease to use charm more or less.

Last edited by coffeecup45; 05-31-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #36388 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 12:40 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
When I got my new Panny 820, there was no way that my Oppo-203 was going anywhere. The 820, with its HDR Optimizer, is a great disc spinner for HDR10 movies (for Dolby Vision and up-scaling 1080P content the 820 and 203 are about even) but nothing beats the 203 when it comes to playing video files off an external hard drive or a DLNA server. It can play almost any kind of video/audio combination that you can throw at while the Panny has some significant limitations (can't play lossless or E-AC3 audio and has trouble with some MP4s and AVIs). So the two players happily co-exist on the second shelf of my AV stand.
This post reminded me to ask about network playback of 3D MVC MKV files. I was running a 3D calibration on my projector this past weekend with the glasses strapped on the meter. Due to calibrating this way, I needed to get the projector into 3D mode to activate the glasses, but playing my 3D MVC MKV files via the network did not work. I had to put the disc in the tray to get 3D . I could have sworn I tried this in the past when I first got the projector set up to see how the 3D looked and that it worked, but perhaps I used my Mede8er player that is 3D compatible. I do have 3D set to forced in the OPPO.

I see that William has information in his FAQ on the tricks to get 3D files to play, but it seems quite involved at quick glance, so was just wondering if anything has changed over time?

Thanks for any input.
post #36389 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 02:35 PM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I see that William has information in his FAQ on the tricks to get 3D files to play, but it seems quite involved at quick glance, so was just wondering if anything has changed over time?

Thanks for any input.
i follow the instructions attached. the key failure was needing to move the HEVC file above the MVC when muxing from mkv to M2TS.

The other must do for Atmos audio was to include a lossy audio track above the Lossless else this means manual Audio Track selection, but also meant it always worked.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3D and Atmos KB.pdf (39.6 KB, 31 views)
giomania likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.

Last edited by wl1; 05-31-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #36390 of 37079 Old 05-31-2019, 02:42 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
i follow the instructions attached. the key failure was needing to move the HEVC file above the MVC when muxing from mkv to M2TS.

The other must do for Atmos audio was to include a lossy audio track above the Lossless else this means manual Audio Track selection, but also meant it always worked.

Thanks. At least there are instructions. I don’t think I have any with Atmos tracks, as most of them are older, but will be sure to check.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page