Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279373Likes

post #36391 of 37553 Old 05-31-2019, 03:46 PM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Thanks. At least there are instructions. I don’t think I have any with Atmos tracks, as most of them are older, but will be sure to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Atmos instructions are included for ripping Atmos from UHD or BR discs to mix into the 3D M2TS. True immersive 3D with Atmos Audio - if the studios can’t be bothered....

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36392 of 37553 Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Here's a radical idea: contemplate a possible HEADPHONE SOLUTION
My wife and I want to watch TV, etc. together, plus office noise necessitates being under headphones 6-10 hours a day already!

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #36393 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello guys ,

i need some help with smb problom , this is the thing

when i try to enter my pc from the oppo 203 everything is ok , but when i try to enter other device like router vr400 tplink that have usb ( i want to stream from the usb shere to the oppo )

i cant enter - is always said that the password error and i chackd tousend time that is correct

is there any problom to enter from the oppo to other smb device ??

hope anyone know and cant help

tanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36394 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy28 View Post
hello guys ,

i need some help with smb problom , this is the thing

when i try to enter my pc from the oppo 203 everything is ok , but when i try to enter other device like router vr400 tplink that have usb ( i want to stream from the usb shere to the oppo )

i cant enter - is always said that the password error and i chackd tousend time that is correct

is there any problom to enter from the oppo to other smb device ??

hope anyone know and cant help

tanks .
You should search for background SMB info in Bill's 203 FAQ.....

It's likely to do with SMB v1 being required by the Oppo. Most devices disable this by default these days, for security reasons. You may need to check within the Router settings to switch this on.
galonzo and gymnos like this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #36395 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1602 View Post
It seems no one knows for sure if DV on 4k bluray disc is 12-bit or 10-bit.
It's beyond me how 10-bit data in two different streams in a lossy codec can be combined to construct a 12-bit data. Lost data is not retrievable, only interpolatable.
Also, 12-bit of data is awful lot to distribute. The difference in file size (HDR10 vs DV) is too small to accommodate this.
According to their 'Dolby Vision for the Home' white paper ( https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf ):

"Dolby Vision is compatible with a wide range of video codecs. It’s currently qualified with HEVC and AVC decoders. There are multiple ways to encode and decode Dolby Vision signals – depending on the needs of the content creator and on the capabilities of the target display hardware, Dolby Vision signals can be delivered using a single HEVC Main10 stream or as two AVC-8 or HEVC-8 or HEVC-10 streams. The single layer HEVC Main-10 profile of Dolby Vision can be decoded by a standard HEVC decoder, then post-processed using a Dolby Vision module to produce the full range 12 bit Dolby Vision signal.

For dual layer AVC or HEVC Dolby Vision profiles, the source stream is split, and the base and enhancement streams are fed through separate decoders. The Dolby Vision composer is responsible for reassembling the full-range signal from the base layer, the enhancement layer, and the metadata."

Clearly there's either snake-oil or clever jiggery-pokery going on here to enable an expansion from 10 to 12 bits from a single HEVC stream. I have no problem understanding that it should be possible to combine data from two separate HEVC streams to form a 12 bit signal.

We're probably going a long way off topic here now.
giomania and galonzo like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #36396 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
My wife and I want to watch TV, etc. together
Smyth has thought of that. The Realiser has two independent processing paths and headphone outputs supporting two independent PRIR/HPEQ configurations and volume controls for two people simultaneously. They recognized it is very likely that two people would be enjoying some viewing/listening experience at the same time.

In other words, you and your wife "get both your ears measured" in some listening room. That means each of you has a unique PRIR. You also have two separate headphone/amp setups, so each of you gets "measured" for that equipment and end up with a corresponding unique HPEQ for each listening equipment. At playback time, each user (1 and 2) specify which PRIR/HPEQ combination they want to use, ffrom the stored digital "library" of up to 64 PRIR and HPEQ files inside the RAM of the Realiser, or from an unlimited number of files read from an inserted SD card. The CPU inside the Realiser is designed to support simultaneous input/output processing for two users.

So when you say watch a movie, that common sound content is played back through each of the two input/output paths inside the Realiser. Each of your unique PRIR/HPEQ setups is handled independently and simultaneously, and thus each of the two independent outputs fed to your independent headphone/amp paths (and Realiser volume control) allows both of you to enjoy the optimal effect individually processed for your individual ears. You will BOTH imagine you are listening to the sound of the movie played back through the original loudspeaker etc. setup in the original listening room you both got measured in.
post #36397 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I love my Oppo UDP-203. By far the best player I've ever used for any optical media.

Only drawback I may have found is that when DVDs are played back with reversal 3:2 pulldown, outputting in either 1080p or 2160p, I don't get proper ATSC frame rates. Will have to try with more films but all I've tried so far gives me 24p instead of 23.976p. I'm confirming this with a Decimator which I have between the player and one of my monitors. With source direct activated I get 480/59.94i, which is to be expected.

Have anyone else had this issue?
galonzo likes this.
post #36398 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissling View Post
Only drawback I may have found is that when DVDs are played back with reversal 3:2 pulldown, outputting in either 1080p or 2160p, I don't get proper ATSC frame rates. Will have to try with more films but all I've tried so far gives me 24p instead of 23.976p. I'm confirming this with a Decimator which I have between the player and one of my monitors. With source direct activated I get 480/59.94i, which is to be expected.

Have anyone else had this issue?
Is it a real issue or simply one of the Decimator flagging 23.976 as 24? Do you get a motion discontinuity every 42 seconds?
galonzo likes this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #36399 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
According to their 'Dolby Vision for the Home' white paper ( https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf ):

"Dolby Vision is compatible with a wide range of video codecs. It’s currently qualified with HEVC and AVC decoders. There are multiple ways to encode and decode Dolby Vision signals – depending on the needs of the content creator and on the capabilities of the target display hardware, Dolby Vision signals can be delivered using a single HEVC Main10 stream or as two AVC-8 or HEVC-8 or HEVC-10 streams. The single layer HEVC Main-10 profile of Dolby Vision can be decoded by a standard HEVC decoder, then post-processed using a Dolby Vision module to produce the full range 12 bit Dolby Vision signal.

For dual layer AVC or HEVC Dolby Vision profiles, the source stream is split, and the base and enhancement streams are fed through separate decoders. The Dolby Vision composer is responsible for reassembling the full-range signal from the base layer, the enhancement layer, and the metadata."

Clearly there's either snake-oil or clever jiggery-pokery going on here to enable an expansion from 10 to 12 bits from a single HEVC stream. I have no problem understanding that it should be possible to combine data from two separate HEVC streams to form a 12 bit signal.

We're probably going a long way off topic here now.
Indeed. I also think and afraid we are going off topic for this thread.

steverobertsbbc,
Thanks for your insight and looking into this matter with me. I appreciate your posts.

By further searching, I've found an appropriate thread for this topic and posted there.

- Thread title: What actually *is* the Dolby
Vision layer?

- Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-dynamic-range-hdr-wide-color-gamut-wcg/2964550-what-actually-dolby-vision-layer.html
giomania likes this.
post #36400 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 03:50 AM

The Decimator flags both 23.976p and 24p properly. Also when I look through the full HDMI output info on the Oppo it says 24p when playing back DVDs with reversal 3:2 pulldown. When playing a BD or UHD-BD in 23.976p, both the player and Decimator detects the frame rate as 23.976p so the Decimator is certainly not doing anything wrong.

Will have to do some more testings tonight and look for discontinuity in motion.
galonzo likes this.
post #36401 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 366
QUESTION

Hi guys a few months ago on the last update I noticed there's a new setting for HDMI in bypass. I run my roku through hdmi in what is the benefit if I select hdmi in bypass or what is the difference..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #36402 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The Decimator flags both 23.976p and 24p properly. Also when I look through the full HDMI output info on the Oppo it says 24p when playing back DVDs with reversal 3:2 pulldown. When playing a BD or UHD-BD in 23.976p, both the player and Decimator detects the frame rate as 23.976p so the Decimator is certainly not doing anything wrong.

Will have to do some more testings tonight and look for discontinuity in motion.
Look at the end credits roller on a movie, that's the easiest way to spot discontinuities. I used to have this problem with an older home cinema amp, which expected all "24P" signals to be 23.976P. I have a few discs which are actually true 24.000P, so these used to glitch every 42 seconds. (24/23.976 = 1.001, so every 1001 frames or 41.7 secs the two would drift out of sync by a frame, causing the amp's frame buffer to have to repeat the last frame to get back into sync).
galonzo likes this.

post #36403 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
QUESTION

Hi guys a few months ago on the last update I noticed there's a new setting for HDMI in bypass. I run my roku through hdmi in what is the benefit if I select hdmi in bypass or what is the difference..

If you are going to watch a movie or show that is Dolby Vision (DV) from say Netflix or VUDU or another provider, switching to HDMI in Bypass allows you to pass the DV signals to your display to be processed correctly. Otherwise, if you leave it as HDMI in, it will only allow the HDR-10 signal without the DV metadata, so you only get HDR 10.

I also have a Roku Ultra - it does not support DV output, so it would be useless to switch to HDMI in bypass for my Roku, so I keep it at HDMI in and get HDR10 from the Roku Ultra. I believe some other streaming boxes (like the Apple TV 4) do support DV output, so they could use this new HDMI in bypass.
galonzo and naustin like this.
post #36404 of 37553 Old 06-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If you are going to watch a movie or show that is Dolby Vision (DV) from say Netflix or VUDU or another provider, switching to HDMI in Bypass allows you to pass the DV signals to your display to be processed correctly. Otherwise, if you leave it as HDMI in, it will only allow the HDR-10 signal without the DV metadata, so you only get HDR 10.

I also have a Roku Ultra - it does not support DV output, so it would be useless to switch to HDMI in bypass for my Roku, so I keep it at HDMI in and get HDR10 from the Roku Ultra. I believe some other streaming boxes (like the Apple TV 4) do support DV output, so they could use this new HDMI in bypass.
Beast mode answer thank you. I have a JVC projector so hdmi in it is. Thanks

post #36405 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Look at the end credits roller on a movie, that's the easiest way to spot discontinuities.
I must unfortunately confirm that yes, it does introduce discontinuities from what I can see. I'm using the Decimator for conversion from 24P to 24PsF (or 23.976P to 23.976PsF) for display on a Sony BVM-A24, which indeed handles the two signals accurately. If you disable the 3:2 reversal pulldown you do get 59.94P however. I don't think I've updated to the latest firmware yet though so I will have to do that and see if it solves anything.
post #36406 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I must unfortunately confirm that yes, it does introduce discontinuities from what I can see. I'm using the Decimator for conversion from 24P to 24PsF (or 23.976P to 23.976PsF) for display on a Sony BVM-A24, which indeed handles the two signals accurately. If you disable the 3:2 reversal pulldown you do get 59.94P however. I don't think I've updated to the latest firmware yet though so I will have to do that and see if it solves anything.
Oh, they're a lovely little monitor. They were my favoured CRT monitor back in the day, I bought them for the BBC's grading suites in London to replace the original Ikegamis when we moved up to HD. Think I still have a couple on the shelf for a rainy day.
galonzo likes this.

post #36407 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
They were my favoured CRT monitor back in the day
Yes they are wonderful! The BVMs are the only pro-CRTs I've worked with that have done literally everything right, especially the A-series. I formerly had a HDM-3830 too, which although is rather clumsy in comparison to the later multiformat BVMs it was an extremely impressive achievement by Sony considering the age of the monitor.

I've only worked with one Ikegami (TM-20-30R) and that one unfortunately had a red tint in the blacks that I couldn't get rid of by calibration, but otherwise it could almost rival say the BVM-20F1 when it came to color accuracy and white balance. Very nice image overall.
post #36408 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
I have had 1 or 2 freezes playing from a hard drive over a year or so, so I wouldn't say 100% that it's a transport issue. I believe the most recent freeze was Black Hawk Down, had no issues with 4K Alien.
Here in UK / Europe we have a number of owners reporting issues with Black Hawk Down 4K Extended version. The 4K was only released here 2 weeks ago. Loss of sound which can be resolved by stop and resume, or rewind. Some had picture skips. Been reported to Oppo EU and they are looking at logs from owners.

I have not watched my copy of Alien 4K yet........
galonzo likes this.

Panasonic TX-65GZ950B, Oppo UDP-203, Musical Fidelity M3i, Marantz SR7013, 5.1.2 - Dali Oberon 5, Oberon Vokal, Oberon 1, Alteco C-1, BK P12-300SB-PR, Apple TV 4K, Sky Q (UHD/Atmos), Sky Fiber Max (80/20).
post #36409 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_64 View Post
Here in UK / Europe we have a number of owners reporting issues with Black Hawk Down 4K Extended version. The 4K was only released here 2 weeks ago. Loss of sound which can be resolved by stop and resume, or rewind. Some had picture skips. Been reported to Oppo EU and they are looking at logs from owners.

I have not watched my copy of Alien 4K yet........
This is likely not a player problem but rather a disc authoring problem. I exchanged my Black Hawk Down disc at Bestbuy, a US retail store. The theatrical version on the replacement copy played perfectly.
galonzo and Russ_64 like this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #36410 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Possible misconfiguration question.

I have a 203 and an LG 65C8.

We moved to an apartment from a big house, and had to put our real speakers in storage.

Our current speakers are just what comes with the LG. It has 2.2 Atmos, whatever that means (L, R, and two subs?).

For some streaming, the sound on the LG is fine.

For other streaming, the sound is muddled, and it's almost impossible to hear dialogue.

It seems like if the speakers on the LG were just plain lousy, then no streaming would sound good.

I've tried all kinds of different configurations of downmixing on the Oppo, and nothing seems to have any effect.

Currently researching soundbars, but wondering if I missed something in configuration?

Also, assuming wind up having to buy a soundbar, can I control the volume with the Oppo remote, or will I have to use the soundbar's remote, similar to how currently I have to adjust volume using the LG remote?

Last edited by jimshowalter; 06-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #36411 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Hi... Is there any news on new beta firmware coming our way soon.... 🤔😎😉🍿🍿🍿🍿
SinGA likes this.
post #36412 of 37553 Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3149
Quote:
Possible misconfiguration question.

I have a 203 and an LG 65C8.

We moved to an apartment from a big house, and had to put our real speakers in storage.

Our current speakers are just what comes with the LG. It has 2.2 Atmos, whatever that means (L, R, and two subs?).

For some streaming, the sound on the LG is fine.

For other streaming, the sound is muddled, and it's almost impossible to hear dialogue.

It seems like if the speakers on the LG were just plain lousy, then no streaming would sound good.

I've tried all kinds of different configurations of downmixing on the Oppo, and nothing seems to have any effect.

Currently researching soundbars, but wondering if I missed something in configuration?

Also, assuming wind up having to buy a soundbar, can I control the volume with the Oppo remote, or will I have to use the soundbar's remote, similar to how currently I have to adjust volume using the LG remote?
What does audio from streaming have to do with the Oppo? Are you talking about playing files on your network or attached storage?
Set the Oppo for PCM output over HDMI and always choose compatibility stereo audio tracks it available. The downmix settings in the Oppo only impact the analog outputs.
galonzo likes this.
post #36413 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
If you buy a soundbar that attaches to the TV via HDMI ARC, your soundbar will be controlled by the TV's remote.
galonzo likes this.

post #36414 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
What does audio from streaming have to do with the Oppo? Are you talking about playing files on your network or attached storage?
Set the Oppo for PCM output over HDMI and always choose compatibility stereo audio tracks it available. The downmix settings in the Oppo only impact the analog outputs.
Doh. I thought it was strange no change in settings seemed to have any effect on the sound.

This is the first time I've used an Oppo to output audio in non-analog format. Before now, the 205 simply output analog to an Anthem Statement.

post #36415 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If you buy a soundbar that attaches to the TV via HDMI ARC, your soundbar will be controlled by the TV's remote.
Does that include all of the decoding? In which case, is the Oppo simply a glorified transport?

post #36416 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
As long as your ARC setup continues to work without issue, that in itself is a bit of a crapshoot. I've gone almost a year with no ARC issues to only then have them so bad I have to turn it off.
galonzo likes this.
post #36417 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Hi... Is there any news on new beta firmware coming our way soon.... 🤔😎😉🍿🍿🍿🍿
I'm not an insider or beta tester for Oppo and hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think we should expect further major or interesting firmwares updates bringing new features or improving existing features.

At best we can expect still one or two minor firmware updates for disc compatibility improvements.

I remind you that even though Oppo Digital has been famous for very good customer care over the last years, it remains a company which goal is to make profit.
Yet, developing new firmwares without selling any products or services (except a few accessories and out of warranty repairs) only results in expenses without revenues, which doesn't make any sense.

I'm personally already happy that they released the HDR10+ update almost 1 year after leaving the market, which obviously any other company in the same situation wouldn't have done. I don't expect more. Thanks Oppo!
post #36418 of 37553 Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
I'm not an insider or beta tester for Oppo and hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think we should expect further major or interesting firmwares updates bringing new features or improving existing features.

At best we can expect still one or two minor firmware updates for disc compatibility improvements.

I remind you that even though Oppo Digital has been famous for very good customer care over the last years, it remains a company which goal is to make profit.
Yet, developing new firmwares without selling any products or services (except a few accessories and out of warranty repairs) only results in expenses without revenues, which doesn't make any sense.

I'm personally already happy that they released the HDR10+ update almost 1 year after leaving the market, which obviously any other company in the same situation wouldn't have done. I don't expect more. Thanks Oppo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36419 of 37553 Old 06-04-2019, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post

Yes, Thanks Oppo! But ultimately they will pull the plug and close shop for good. There will be no one to answer the phone or an email.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #36420 of 37553 Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Yes, Thanks Oppo! But ultimately they will pull the plug and close shop for good. There will be no one to answer the phone or an email.
One time they will close for sure. But for example I have bought my brand new piece for full price from local distributor in October 2018 and I believe I also deserve standard OPPO support and warranty period for my money. So please don't be such pessimist

Last edited by blackie333; 06-04-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page