Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278835Likes

post #36421 of 36767 Old 06-04-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie333 View Post
One time they will close for sure. But for example I have bought my brand new piece for full price from local distributor in October 2018 and I believe I also deserve standard OPPO support and warranty period for my money. So please don't be so pessimistic...
Yeah, but at the time you bought it you must have already known that they were out of the business of blu-ray players, so I'd be more inclined to think that you were being overly optimistic.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36422 of 36767 Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
One time they will close for sure. But for example I have bought my brand new piece for full price from local distributor in October 2018 and I believe I also deserve standard OPPO support and warranty period for my money. So please don't be such pessimist
I bought one directly from Oppo I think around Aug 18 after the announcment based on an email sign up list of the 'last batch'. (I also have an early 203 as well) Maybe they'll hang around for warranty for that last production batch, maybe not. They have talented folks, so one has to ask the question when do talented folks leave for greener pastures? Some of the techs could get bored repairing loaders and cleaning units and move on forcing the issue.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #36423 of 36767 Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
If anyone has questions about receiving service for Oppos need only ask Oppo:
https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
Quote:
  1. How do I receive technical support for my OPPO product?

Technical support will continue to be available. Our service team has been spun off into OT Service, Inc. to handle OPPO product support. Please visit the product support page on the OPPO Digital web site (https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx) for self-guided support, and use the following contact form to submit your customer service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
  2. How do I set up in-warranty or out-of-warranty repair service for my OPPO product?

Repair service will remain available for OPPO products. Our service team has been spun off into OT Service, Inc. to handle warranty & repair services. Please use the following contact form to submit your repair service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
galonzo, chi_guy50, artur9 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36424 of 36767 Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If anyone has questions about receiving service for Oppos need only ask Oppo:
https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
I wonder how long will this last.
post #36425 of 36767 Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
I wonder how long will this last.
Well, warranty repair support pretty much has to last until the warranty on the last player sold expires. I suspect firmware updates are going to be mostly focused on support for new stupid authoring tricks. Any additional features beyond what we have now should be considered a nice bonus at this point.
ppasteur, robsis, galonzo and 3 others like this.
post #36426 of 36767 Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
QUESTION

Hi guys a few months ago on the last update I noticed there's a new setting for HDMI in bypass. I run my roku through hdmi in what is the benefit if I select hdmi in bypass or what is the difference..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If you are going to watch a movie or show that is Dolby Vision (DV) from say Netflix or VUDU or another provider, switching to HDMI in Bypass allows you to pass the DV signals to your display to be processed correctly. Otherwise, if you leave it as HDMI in, it will only allow the HDR-10 signal without the DV metadata, so you only get HDR 10.
I'm still not sure why there's a need for two HDMI input modes...
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 06-05-2019 at 01:26 AM.
post #36427 of 36767 Old 06-05-2019, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi guys, you can play external subs from USB while you watch UHD Disks

Create a folder to a USB Flash drive called 'sub' and put inside to that folder your SRT subtitle named as 'sub.srt'

Load the movie and press the subtitle button while the movie is playing....the last option from the list it will your custom subtitle from USB.

Also another onhttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2576124&thumb=1e advandage doing this is that when you playback HDR movies to HDR displays the subtitles are already too bright in HDR mode and they will become even brighter when the displays will have higher peak output levels in the future...with OPPO you can change the color of that external sub to a dimmed color from a list of colors, change size, move it up/down etc.
@ConnecTEDDD or anyone plz help

Hi I many AVCHD folders UHD movies 4k hdr & DV, I did as here topic http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-disc-playback, I created a folder inside the movies folder I named sub, then I putted the srt subtitle I named sub. but unfortunately once I play the movie I pressed the subtitle button I did not find the srt sub plz see the image.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srt sub.png
Views:	70
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2576126  

Last edited by icic2018; 06-05-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #36428 of 36767 Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by icic2018 View Post
@ConnecTEDDD or anyone plz help

Hi I many UHD movies 4k hdr & DV, I did as here topic http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-2...-disc-playback, I created a folder inside the movies folder I named sub, then I putted the srt subtitle I named sub. but unfortunately once I play the movie I pressed the subtitle button I did not find the srt sub plz see the image.

Regards.
You will need to place the SRT folder to the root directory and place inside to that folder the sub.srt of the movie you want to watch.

You can't have subtitles for multiple movies, if you playback from folders or actual disk.

Only if you convert your HDR10 titles to MKV files you can have multiple subtitle files, with the same name as the MKV file inside to each movie folder.
gymnos likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #36429 of 36767 Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Lightbulb My Guess at the Need for Two Different HDMI Input Modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I'm still not sure why there's a need for two HDMI input modes...
I'm guessing they had to do a true "bypass mode", due to being inundated with requests for DoVi support on the HDMI input, but weren't willing to put in the effort required to make it work "normally," whether that meant having to work with the chipset manufacturer, or figuring out a way on their own. Or, perhaps they were making an effort all along, but then they couldn't get it sorted by the time they decided to exit the disk player business.

All speculation on my part, FWIW.
naustin likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #36430 of 36767 Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
I noticed yesterday for the first time that my UDP-203 was forcing Dolby Vision regardless of the type of media encode (and whether disc or stream). In fact, my Sony Z9D was switched into DV picture mode as soon as the player powered on and before any media was loaded. The resulting playback PQ looked great to my eyes, but I have always set the player for Source Direct and HDR Auto and prefer the output that way.

I tried playing with the various HDR/DV settings but nothing seemed to dislodge the forced DV. I then performed a factory reset and restored my customized settings and now playback is back to normal with only DV-encoded sources output in DV.

Any idea what happened here and whether it is potentially an ongoing issue?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #36431 of 36767 Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1602 View Post
Understood. I'm not hung up on the color depth. I am just trying to find out if DV is 12-bit.

DV enhancement layers have two types. MEL and FEL. I am guessing most of DV blurays are MEL by ripping/demuxing .m2ts into .hevc several of them and comparing hevc file sizes of base layer and enhancement layer. By looking at demuxed file sizes, most of them looks too small to contain any extra color depth data. (Pure speculation on my part).

Apple 4K iTunes streaming and Netflix streaming use DV Profile 5 which is single layer. And Apple uses H.265 HEVC Main 10 YUV420 10-bit. This is documented on Apple's developer support pdf.

That being said, also DV does not require a dedicated hardware. Dedicated chipset requirement was in early days of DV.
So, we can rule out chipset doing any magic creating 12-bit.

So, 10-bit + 10-bit can equal to 12-bit? Even though the source files are graded/encoded into 10-bit due to codec limitation? If yes, how? How can a lost color depth be recovered from a lossy codec? (I said lost assuming 12-bit is used in editing process and transcoded into 10-bit in encoding stage).

And iTunes 4K DV and Netflix DV are in 10-bit while 4k bluray discs are in 12-bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I think that not all DV is 12-bit, and some services/devices are taking advantage of the looser requirements. Just like streaming services cannot provide lossless audio due to bandwidth constraints (they use lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

Most people can’t tell the difference between the “lesser” DV and lossy audio.

But we are not most people, are we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Well let's not derail the discussion by bringing audio here. TrueHD + Atmos, lossy & lossless audio codec and their differences being audible or not is different subject.

Also, question of differences/improvement of 12-bit color being visible in currently available 10-bit consumer panel is laughable. But this is not something I care either.

It seems no one knows for sure if DV on 4k bluray disc is 12-bit or 10-bit.
It's beyond me how 10-bit data in two different streams in a lossy codec can be combined to construct a 12-bit data. Lost data is not retrievable, only interpolatable.
Also, 12-bit of data is awful lot to distribute. The difference in file size (HDR10 vs DV) is too small to accommodate this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
According to their 'Dolby Vision for the Home' white paper ( https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf ):

"Dolby Vision is compatible with a wide range of video codecs. It’s currently qualified with HEVC and AVC decoders. There are multiple ways to encode and decode Dolby Vision signals – depending on the needs of the content creator and on the capabilities of the target display hardware, Dolby Vision signals can be delivered using a single HEVC Main10 stream or as two AVC-8 or HEVC-8 or HEVC-10 streams. The single layer HEVC Main-10 profile of Dolby Vision can be decoded by a standard HEVC decoder, then post-processed using a Dolby Vision module to produce the full range 12 bit Dolby Vision signal.

For dual layer AVC or HEVC Dolby Vision profiles, the source stream is split, and the base and enhancement streams are fed through separate decoders. The Dolby Vision composer is responsible for reassembling the full-range signal from the base layer, the enhancement layer, and the metadata."

Clearly there's either snake-oil or clever jiggery-pokery going on here to enable an expansion from 10 to 12 bits from a single HEVC stream. I have no problem understanding that it should be possible to combine data from two separate HEVC streams to form a 12 bit signal.

We're probably going a long way off topic here now.
Quote:
Indeed. I also think and afraid we are going off topic for this thread.

steverobertsbbc,
Thanks for your insight and looking into this matter with me. I appreciate your posts.

By further searching, I've found an appropriate thread for this topic and posted there.

- Thread title: What actually *is* the Dolby
Vision layer?

- Link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high-dynamic-range-hdr-wide-color-gamut-wcg/2964550-what-actually-dolby-vision-layer.html
I performed some additional research because I wanted to understand the different Dolby Vision options and what the OPPO UDP-203 supports. It turns out --assuming I understood this correctly-- that Blu-ray players support Dolby Vision HDR Profile 7, which is comprised of a a Base Layer (BL) and an Enhancement Layer (EL) + metadata that are recombined into the 12-bit DV signal using a Dolby Vision module. I adjusted my notes accordingly. I am posting below, but the links and formatting from my Word document will not work here:

Dolby Vision HDR Overview
References & Key Technologies

Dolby Laboratories 2015 patent awarded for the Non-Linear VDR Residual Quantizer.
This recombination process is the “secret sauce” in Dolby Vision HDR.
Dolby Laboratories’ Dolby Vision White Paper.
Dolby Laboratories’ ICtCp / ITP Colorspace White Paper.
Dolby Laboratories’ Profiles and Levels White Paper.
The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Compound Content Management Specification.
This standardizes combining the BL with the EL + metadata to recreate an HDR picture.

Executive Summary
The Dolby Vision HDR (DV) signal is encoded in 12-bit Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF using 12-bit ICtCp / ITP colorspace. This 12-bit video signal is required to be transported within an existing architecture comprised of 10-bit High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) encoders and decoders. At the encoder stage level (post-production), the 12-bit DV signal is split into a Base Layer (BL) and an Enhancement Layer (EL) + metadata. The BL and EL + metadata are encoded by a standard 10-bit HEVC encoder. At the decoder stage level (source device or display), the BL and EL + metadata are decoded by two standard 10-bit HEVC decoders.
For an HDR10 compatible display, only the BL (HDR10) is decoded and sent as a HDR10 video. For a DV compatible display, the BL and EL + metadata are recombined using a Dolby Vision module and sent as 12-bit DV video. This is a simplified overview and was the original implementation of DV. As the technology has evolved to reduce the processing requirements, the complexity has increased; keep reading for more details.

RGB Tunneling
The Dolby Vision (DV) signal is transported over HDMI via “RGB Tunneling”. The DV signal is encapsulated inside the regular RGB 8-bit video signal. The DV “tunneling” carries 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data over HDMI in an RGB 4:4:4 8-bit transport. This is possible because both signal formats have the same 8.9 Gbps data rate requirements. https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf

During the HDMI EDID exchange (handshake), the sink (AVR, Display, or HDMI switch) signals the source that it supports Dolby Vision via an AVI Infoframe, which allows the DV signal inside the 8-bit RGB container to pass through without alteration. AVR’s may report DV signals in one of two ways, but both are correct:
Resolution: 4k:24Hz ->4k:24Hz
HDR: Dolby Vision
Color Space: RGB 4:4:4 -> RGB 4:4:4 -OR- YCbCr 4:2:2 -> YCbCr 4:2:2
Color Depth: 8 bits -> 8 bits -OR- 12 bits -> 12 bits

Profiles and Levels
Dolby Vision HDR (DV) profiles and levels are designed to facilitate implementation of a DV product, such as an encoder or decoder, based on consideration of various requirements from typical multimedia applications. The DV profiles specify the requirements for the Base Layer (BL) and Enhancement Layer (EL) + metadata. A DV level specifies the maximum pixel rate, decoded bitstream video width, and bit rate supported by a product within a given bitstream profile. They provide a rich feature set to support various ecosystems, such as over the-top (OTT) streaming and Blu-ray Discs. DV for UHD Blu-ray uses Profile 7, and DV for streaming video uses either Profile 4 or Profile 5.
Profile 7 is the standard used for DV on UHD Blu-ray players. As noted in this post, at the encoder stage level (post-production), the DV signal is split into a Base Layer (BL) and an Enhancement Layer (EL) + metadata. The BL is 10-bit YcBcR 4:2:0 HDR10, and the EL + metadata is 1080p (¼ resolution of the BL). The BL and EL + metadata are encoded by a standard 10-bit HEVC encoder. At the decoder stage level (i.e. UHD Blu-ray player), there are two options:
1) For an HDR10 compatible display, only the BL (HDR10) is decoded and sent as a HDR10 video.
2) For a DV compatible display, the BL and EL + metadata are decoded by two standard 10-bit HEVC decoders. These are recombined using a Dolby Vision module and sent as 12-bit DV video.
Profile 4 is the standard used for some video streaming services; it provides a backward-compatible framework for HDR. As noted in this post, the Dolby Vision (DV) video is split into a BL and EL + metadata. The difference is the base layer is SDR with an SDR Gamma EOTF, and the enhancement layer + metadata includes the instructions to convert the base layer SDR stream into an HDR (DV) stream. The DV base layer can be decoded by a standard 10-bit HEVC decoder, while a DV module is required to perform the SDR to HDR (DV) conversion. This allows streaming companies to store one version of the file for both SDR or HDR streaming.
Profile 5 is the newest iteration of the DV technology, and it includes the entire DV signal in the Base Layer (BL); the BL is a 10-bit signal with the ICtCp / ITP colorspace. The ICtCp or ITP colorspace features constant luminance for a higher quality color volume mapping versus the legacy non-constant luminance YCbCr color. This profile was the result of a collaboration between Dolby Laboratories and Sony to bring DV to some Sony 2017 TV’s that did not have a System on Chip (SoC) integrated circuit design capable of decoding two video streams (the BL and EL). At the time it was created, Profile 5 was incompatible with many existing source devices on the market at the time, and existing source devices required updates to support it.
Profile 5 was designed so that the source device performs the DV processing versus the display for the lowest latency; this is beneficial for gaming. Therefore, Profile 5 is referred to as Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) by the A/V press. Profile 5 requires the source device obtain the display’s capabilities via the HDMI Extended Display Identification Data (EDID). This information is a critical factor in mapping the DV content to fit within the display’s capabilities. Microsoft has updated their Xbox One S and Xbox One X gaming consoles to support DV for streaming apps. There is some confusion if this is Profile 5 or a new Profile than what was initially created. There is a discussion and dissection of the issue here.

Layer Variations
As noted above, the Dolby Vision HDR (DV) signal is split into a Base Layer (BL) and an Enhancement Layer (EL) + metadata. These layers can be delivered via a single stream or a dual-stream methodology. The single stream method contains the BL in an H.265 / High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Main10 profile. The dual-stream method contains the BL and EL in either two separate HEVC-Main10 profiles or two separate H.264 / MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) AVC-8 profiles.
In this linked post, Stacey Spears (sspears on AVS Forum) described Dolby Vision’s various enhancement layer versions.
Minimal Enhancement Layer (MEL)
The MEL contains only the basic Dolby Vision HDR metadata, and when combined with the base layer, provides a 10-bit YcBcR 4:2:0 video signal. MEL requires a System on Chip (SoC) integrated circuit design capable of decoding only a single video stream (the base layer). MEL is compatible with a wider range of SoC’s due to these minimal processing requirements. The MEL was first to debut in the initial SDK.
Full Enhancement Layer (FEL)
FEL contains both the basic Dolby Vision HDR metadata and second 1080p SDR video stream (¼ 2160p HDR resolution) that when combined with the base layer provides a 12-bit YcBcR 4:2:0 video signal. The device then uses a Dolby Vision module to convert to an 8-bit RGB (12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 data in an RGB 4:4:4 8-bit transport tunnel) video signal. FEL requires a System on Chip (SoC) integrated circuit design capable of decoding two video streams (the BL and EL). FEL was not supported in the initial SDK but is now supported.
Most Dolby Vision HDR content today uses MEL, not FEL, even though the SDK now supports both MEL and FEL. Perhaps this is a result of the initial SDK only supporting MEL. The forthcoming Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disk will have a video montage encoded using both MEL and FEL for comparison. Due to the brightness and large color volume of the content in the montage, it will be easy to see the difference between DV, LLDV, HDR10, and HDR10+. Once you see the difference, it will be visible in other sources, such as Netflix.
post #36432 of 36767 Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Getting complaints. There is whole forum area dedicated to HDR, please continue discussion there.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...lor-gamut-wcg/
dianebrat and krauley like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #36433 of 36767 Old 06-08-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
And now there is nothing to read, off topic or otherwise.
giomania likes this.

--Carl
post #36434 of 36767 Old 06-08-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
...because clicking the link teachsac provided and reading the content there is just a little too hard for you?
post #36435 of 36767 Old 06-08-2019, 06:42 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
We could always talk about how freakin' cool it would be if Oppo changed its mind and came out with a UDP-213 with HDMI 2.1 and other new features. Despite that probably not improving anything for streaming, I'd still upgrade to the 213 if it was released (which I know is just my geek fantasy).
hernanu and Wjboshart like this.
post #36436 of 36767 Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Ok so I'm suddenly getting a message telling me to use a 4K UHD display and HDR w/ my OPPO w/ multiple discs. On the info screen it says 3840x2160, BDMV HDR, BT2020 YCbCr 4:2:0, 10bit. Thor Ragnarok is the current one I'm viewing, but it's telling me this on other UHD discs as well...weird.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N

Last edited by rightintel; 06-08-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #36437 of 36767 Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
We could always talk about how freakin' cool it would be if Oppo changed its mind and came out with a UDP-213 with HDMI 2.1 and other new features. Despite that probably not improving anything for streaming, I'd still upgrade to the 213 if it was released (which I know is just my geek fantasy).

We could, but that would probably be OT & someone would object.
gwsat likes this.

--Carl
post #36438 of 36767 Old 06-09-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Ok so I'm suddenly getting a message telling me to use a 4K UHD display and HDR w/ my OPPO w/ multiple discs. On the info screen it says 3840x2160, BDMV HDR, BT2020 YCbCr 4:2:0, 10bit. Thor Ragnarok is the current one I'm viewing, but it's telling me this on other UHD discs as well...weird.
If you hold down the i button for a second or so, you get a more comprehensive list. At the top is the format of the media and if you scroll down you'll see the format of the video it's sending to the display. Sounds like it thinks that you're connected to a HD display rather than a 4K one. Try reseating the HDMI leads between player and TV?
galonzo likes this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #36439 of 36767 Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
If you hold down the i button for a second or so, you get a more comprehensive list. At the top is the format of the media and if you scroll down you'll see the format of the video it's sending to the display. Sounds like it thinks that you're connected to a HD display rather than a 4K one. Try reseating the HDMI leads between player and TV?
Ive had this happen also for both 3d and 4k discs and all i had to do was stop playing using the "stop" button on the remote and then once in the 203's menu start play again. Its never done it twice on the same play through so once ive done that im good to go. Not sure why it does it but its very rare. When it happened at first i ask about sending my unit for repair on this forum but i did a reset of the unit per you guys here. Since the reset the problem has only happened once or twice but the unit gets a lot of use, at least one movie a night so the issue is a very low percentage of my usage.

Quoted wrong post, should have been this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel
so I'm suddenly getting a message telling me to use a 4K UHD display and HDR w/ my OPPO w/ multiple discs. On the info screen it says 3840x2160, BDMV HDR, BT2020 YCbCr 4:2:0, 10bit. Thor Ragnarok is the current one I'm viewing, but it's telling me this on other UHD discs as well...weird.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)

Last edited by krauley; 06-09-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #36440 of 36767 Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
I'll try that, but it does show the proper rez and HDR color when you hold the info button. Weird....

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #36441 of 36767 Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I'll try that, but it does show the proper rez and HDR color when you hold the info button. Weird....
So if you scroll right down to the bottom of the list under 'HDMI (Main) Output Information' it says 3840 x 2160?
galonzo likes this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #36442 of 36767 Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
One time they will close for sure. But for example I have bought my brand new piece for full price from local distributor in October 2018 and I believe I also deserve standard OPPO support and warranty period for my money. So please don't be such pessimist
It's not pessimism, it's facing facts.

I own three Oppo 205s and one 203, all as a way to forestall the inevitable, but eventually some mal-mastered shiny disk (assuming anyone still makes them) will be issued, there won't be a firmware update to fix that, and you'll be left with a coaster.

But in the meantime, rejoice in owning the best shiny-disk player ever.
bguzman, galonzo, krauley and 2 others like this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #36443 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

I own three Oppo 205s and one 203, all as a way to forestall the inevitable, but eventually some mal-mastered shiny disk (assuming anyone still makes them) will be issued, there won't be a firmware update to fix that, and you'll be left with a coaster.

Yea, I own two 203s and one 95. I've pretty much retired the 95 to music only duty with my headphones. I'll probably at some point by another player just for coaster prevention.
Matt2026 likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #36444 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

I own a Sony S790. Although it's not my main player anymore, still going strong. The last firmware update was issued back in 2014. Just 2 years after the player was originally released. My point is, even companies like Sony that are still alive and kicking, stop releasing firmware updates for their products after a couple of years. It's no different than Oppo going away. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Cortiz; 06-10-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #36445 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anybody know if the latest firmware update UDP20X-65-0131 still allows for UHD BDMV playback from backups?
post #36446 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoborgh View Post
Does anybody know if the latest firmware update UDP20X-65-0131 still allows for UHD BDMV playback from backups?
I keep my players up to date and I played a BDMV over the weekend. However, I'm not 100% certain that the firmware is the one you cite.
post #36447 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My 203 happily played 4K HDR Atmos rips from my Plex Server via DLNA for a long time. Then suddenly a few months ago it would stick on 25%, with the word STOP displayed on the front LCD. After about 5-10 minutes of this it plays the file.

I have tried with Emby server and the same occurs. Plex and Emby play fine on all my other clients, whether via DLNA or Plex app.

I have a fully gigabit LAN with CAT 7 cables. I have swapped out ethernet cables, switches and my router and the problem persisted.

It takes a little while to load files from USB but doesn't freeze.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it likely that my player has developed a fault?

I know in time we all will have to move on and buy new players, so I'm wondering whether now is the time to get a new one. File playback is the key area for me. Does anyone have any experience with the two Pioneer UHD blu-ray players, specifically how good they are at playing 4K HDR rips from servers. They are the only players I would consider getting. The Cambridge Audio CXUHD shares too much DNA with the Oppos, which makes me wonder if that will also be phased out at some point.

Also, is it still only a chipped 203 or 205 that will play DV files?

I'm not adverse to buying a separate device for streaming 4K HDR Atmos rips if said device is the best in existence at doing so, as disk playback with the Oppo is problem-free for me. The ZAPPITI PRO 4K HDR media player is an option. From researching the topic, some say that building your own HTPC is the way to achieve the highest quality playback of local files. If I go down that route, what's the DV situation? Is DV file playback something that can be done with a HTPC, is going to be able to be done at some point or will never be able to be done by a HTPC?

Excuse the length of the post.
post #36448 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
It might not be player that is the issue although it could be. I had a few issues with DLNA - had something to do with mux or audio overlays - never spent more than a few minutes on it. I ended up going WinNFSd and it works perfectly (unless my computer tries to defrag files when the file is playing).
post #36449 of 36767 Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post
My 203 happily played 4K HDR Atmos rips from my Plex Server via DLNA for a long time. Then suddenly a few months ago it would stick on 25%, with the word STOP displayed on the front LCD. After about 5-10 minutes of this it plays the file.

I watch all UHD content from either MKV or BDMV, stored on NAS. Never a hitch.
If you are keeping your player set to Quick Start mode, revert to Energy Efficient and reboot. Matter fact just go ahead and unplug the player for a bit.
Quote:
Also, is it still only a chipped 203 or 205 that will play DV files?
What's this? Dolby Vision files?
post #36450 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post

I have tried with Emby server and the same occurs. Plex and Emby play fine on all my other clients, whether via DLNA or Plex app.

I have a fully gigabit LAN with CAT 7 cables. I have swapped out ethernet cables, switches and my router and the problem persisted.

It takes a little while to load files from USB but doesn't freeze.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it likely that my player has developed a fault?

Spoiler!
I think other folks are using UHD rips without a problem.

One thing to remember is that the OPPOs have 100BaseT ethernet interfaces, so while it's good to have a Gbit Lan, the OPPO plays at 100Mbit.

It's not any kind of issue, since even a UHD movie streams at a much lower rate reliably (I think 25Mbit). I don't use DLNA any more, have shifted over to SMB access, and everything I want to play plays correctly and true.

Last edited by hernanu; 06-11-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page