Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278836Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36451 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 AM
Member
 
aguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think other folks are using UHD rips without a problem.



One thing to remember is that the OPPOs have 100BaseT ethernet interfaces, so while it's good to have a Gbit Lan, the OPPO plays at 100Mbit.



It's not any kind of issue, since even a UHD movie streams at a much lower rate reliably (I think 18Mbit). I don't use DLNA any more, have shifted over to SMB access, and everything I want to play plays correctly and true.

I’m not so sure that the bit rates are that low for UHD rips. If you look at the info while playing discs the bit rate often goes over 70 Mbps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007james likes this.

Living Room NAD M17 / NAD M27 / Martin Logan 60XT (LR) 50XT (C) / Def Tech LCR 6.5 (Surrounds) / SVS SBUltra 13+ / Sony A1 OLED
aguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36452 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I’m not so sure that the bit rates are that low for UHD rips. If you look at the info while playing discs the bit rate often goes over 70 Mbps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right. Looks like average is 25 Mbit/s throughput on a network for UHD. Still enough, but changing my post, I was thinking HDMI.
hernanu is offline  
post #36453 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Taxcheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
One thing to remember is that the OPPOs have 100BaseT ethernet interfaces, so while it's good to have a Gbit Lan, the OPPO plays at 100Mbit.

The Oppo 203 has a gigabit ethernet port. Source: Oppo. The max bitrate for the UHD bluray spec is 128mbit. Some nicely mastered discs like Lucy will go 100+ regularly, but 50-60 is more common.
gymnos, vavan and jwort93 like this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
Taxcheat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36454 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Craig Mecak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think other folks are using UHD rips without a problem.

One thing to remember is that the OPPOs have 100BaseT ethernet interfaces, so while it's good to have a Gbit Lan, the OPPO plays at 100Mbit.

It's not any kind of issue, since even a UHD movie streams at a much lower rate reliably (I think 25Mbit). I don't use DLNA any more, have shifted over to SMB access, and everything I want to play plays correctly and true.



Umm.. I think you'll find that the Oppo 203 has Gigabit ethernet.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
Craig Mecak is online now  
post #36455 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
The Oppo 203 has a gigabit ethernet port. Source: Oppo. The max bitrate for the UHD bluray spec is 128mbit. Some nicely mastered discs like Lucy will go 100+ regularly, but 50-60 is more common.
Well, you are absolutely right and I am happier than I was.

Thanks for the correction.
hernanu is offline  
post #36456 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Spacedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Make sure you are not using an older CAT5 ethernet cable. My experience with a router to computer connection is that a CAT5 would not allow much over 70 Mb/s, although spec'ed to work 100 Mb/s. CAT6 cable brought speed back up to ISP's advertised 155 Mb/s. I did not try a CAT5E, supposed to work at 1 Gb/s, but did not have one on hand, using exclusively CAT6 cables and 1 Gb/s switches now.
Spacedave is offline  
post #36457 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post
...



Also, is it still only a chipped 203 or 205 that will play DV files?


The only way I can play Dolby vision files is by doing a full backup (not mkv), in an avchd folder through SMB. My ripping process now has a dv flag, that does a full backup for the oppo, then creates mkv for plex. This way, at home I can watch full dv with menus at home, and hdr through plex on the road.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Madmax67 likes this.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
Spinningbull is offline  
post #36458 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post
My 203 happily played 4K HDR Atmos rips from my Plex Server via DLNA for a long time. Then suddenly a few months ago it would stick on 25%, with the word STOP displayed on the front LCD. After about 5-10 minutes of this it plays the file.
All my 4K media files are stored on a Synology NAS. They play fine via SMB and/or UPnP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
It's not any kind of issue, since even a UHD movie streams at a much lower rate reliably (I think 25Mbit). I don't use DLNA any more, have shifted over to SMB access, and everything I want to play plays correctly and true.
All my UHD disc back-ups are way higher than 25Mbps...
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #36459 of 36767 Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post

Excuse the length of the post.
Try ditching DLNA before the Oppo - other solutions have other issues in my experience. I am another more than happy with Oppo UHD/BR MKV / Atmos /DTS:X 3D M2TS playback....over SMB.
galonzo and riddle like this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #36460 of 36767 Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Vader424242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi all,


I have just taken the jump to 4k (LG C9), though I have been using the 203 for just under a year feeding a 1080p plasma (Panny 65V10). I have run into a problem, and I am hoping this will sound familiar. After integrating the display into my setup (no trivial task), I began video tests. The first video I tried was a standard Blu-ray, which worked great. HDMI connection was rock solid with no handshake issues, and the PQ was stunning. Then I tried a native 4k disc, which gave a blank screen. Here is my preliminary reasoning (I will continue testing tonight), so my hope is that the experts here will critique my conclusions and point me in the right direction. I strongly suspect the problem to be in the wetware (me), and that I simply have something misconfigured somewhere. So, here goes:


Signal Path: Oppo 203 --> Denon X6400H AVR --> LG C9 (via certified HDMI cables)


All applicable video settings in the Oppo are set to Auto, and the detailed info during playback shows that the incoming video is 1080p, upscaled to 4k prior to being sent to the Denon. The Denon also shows that the incoming video is 4k, which is does nothing to, and sends it on to the LG, where it displays normally. I am still trying to figure out how to display signal information on the LG, to confirm that it is receiving 4k, but I suspect it is. This tells me that the signal path is OK, and that a 4k signal (albeit an upconverted one) is supported through the entire chain. I would expect a handshake or other HDMI issue to manifest itself as intermittent video, playback lockups, messed up color, stuff like that - none of which was present.


Now, for the native 4k disc, when the Oppo reads the type, the screen simply goes blank. The player continues normally (as noted by the front display), but there is no picture. I am also unable to invoke the info screen. The player is not frozen, as the stop button ceases playback and returns me to the main Oppo screen. This suggests to me that I have some output setting wrong, either in the Oppo, or the Denon.


I am hoping for a simple reconfiguration solution, as even switching out cables would be a major endeavor in my setup, and I refuse to believe that I am simply SOL (I have been saving too long for that). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Peace... Vader
 

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

 

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Vader424242 is offline  
post #36461 of 36767 Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,207
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
^ 4K content (as opposed to 1080p content upscaled to 4K) requires a higher level of copy protection support in your Denon. Check that your Denon supports HDCP 2.2 on the input you are using to receive the signal from the OPPO. For some AVRs only SOME of their inputs will support this.

4K content with HDR -- the typical movie content on UHD discs -- puts more bandwidth on the HDMI cables. You should be using "Premium Certified" HDMI cables for *ALL* of your cables in the signal path. These need not be expensive. See my Blog post here for more info:

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

Your new LG has a setting which is OFF by default which needs to be turned on for the C9 to receive 4K/HDR video properly. I believe you'll find this in its General Settings, called HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color. Turn that ON for the HDMI input you are using on the C9.

To test, temporarily move the OPPO close enough to the C9 so you can connect directly from the OPPO to that HDMI Input on the C9 using the HDMI cable OPPO supplies with the player. That cable is a Premium Certified cable. If that works, and your Denon says it supports HDCP 2.2, the most likely problem is you do need to upgrade your HDMI cabling to Premium Certified. If you have cables running inside the walls you can test by running cables outside the walls to see if that fixes the problem before you deal with fishing the new cable through the walls.

If your Denon does *NOT* support HDCP 2.2, then you should run two HDMI cables. Run Main HDMI from the OPPO directly to the C9 for video and Audio HDMI from the OPPO to the Denon for Audio.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #36462 of 36767 Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Signal Path: Oppo 203 --> Denon X6400H AVR --> LG C9 (via certified HDMI cables)

I am hoping for a simple reconfiguration solution, as even switching out cables would be a major endeavor in my setup, and I refuse to believe that I am simply SOL (I have been saving too long for that). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ 4K content (as opposed to 1080p content upscaled to 4K) requires a higher level of copy protection support in your Denon. Check that your Denon supports HDCP 2.2 on the input you are using to receive the signal from the OPPO. For some AVRs only SOME of their inputs will support this.

4K content with HDR -- the typical movie content on UHD discs -- puts more bandwidth on the HDMI cables. You should be using "Premium Certified" HDMI cables for *ALL* of your cables in the signal path. These need not be expensive. See my Blog post here for more info:

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

Your new LG has a setting which is OFF by default which needs to be turned on for the C9 to receive 4K/HDR video properly. I believe you'll find this in its General Settings, called HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color. Turn that ON for the HDMI input you are using on the C9.
--Bob
As per usual, Bob Pariseau has it covered!

Cursory investigation shows HDCP 2.2 is enabled on all HDMIs on that AVR. I think Bob is correct in that it is a cabling issue. However, if OP is using premium certified cables, sometimes it helps to use the HDMI input that's closest to the HDMI output. It's a little crazy but it's a solution that's often given in the Denon AVR threads.

Additionally, if OP's cable runs are excessively long, active cables may need to be employed.
Vader424242 likes this.
tommyknocker2121 is offline  
post #36463 of 36767 Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Vader424242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Update: I re-checked all of the Oppo, Denon, and LG settings, and tried a different UHD disc... and it worked flawlessly. I then checked the signal path, and it reported 4k/24hz on all interfaces (though I still have not figured out how to get the input signal data on the LG). I then tried the disc that gave a blank screen last night, and... it gave a blank screen. The difference between the two titles? The one that worked was HDR10 only, while the one that blanked out was Dolby Vision. The only setting I was hesitant to mess with is on the Denon: the 4k Signal Format. The options are Standard (4k 60p 4:2:0 8-bit) and Enhanced (4k 60p 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 10-bit), and the default is Standard. Does Dolby Vision need the Enhanced setting? Why else would Dolby Vision fail (everybody in the chain supports it)?

Peace... Vader
 

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

 

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Vader424242 is offline  
post #36464 of 36767 Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Update: I re-checked all of the Oppo, Denon, and LG settings, and tried a different UHD disc... and it worked flawlessly. I then checked the signal path, and it reported 4k/24hz on all interfaces (though I still have not figured out how to get the input signal data on the LG). I then tried the disc that gave a blank screen last night, and... it gave a blank screen. The difference between the two titles? The one that worked was HDR10 only, while the one that blanked out was Dolby Vision. The only setting I was hesitant to mess with is on the Denon: the 4k Signal Format. The options are Standard (4k 60p 4:2:0 8-bit) and Enhanced (4k 60p 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 10-bit), and the default is Standard. Does Dolby Vision need the Enhanced setting? Why else would Dolby Vision fail (everybody in the chain supports it)?
Both your player and TV support Enhanced, as do your cables, so I should think you definitely need to be in that mode normally anyway. Whether or not that will solve your DV problem, I don't know.

I think I would try turning off the Input Scaler function (and maybe also the Video Conversion setting) in the Denon, so that it passes the signal from the player to the TV without being changed by the Denon.
Vader424242 and galonzo like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
steverobertsbbc is online now  
post #36465 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,207
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Update: I re-checked all of the Oppo, Denon, and LG settings, and tried a different UHD disc... and it worked flawlessly. I then checked the signal path, and it reported 4k/24hz on all interfaces (though I still have not figured out how to get the input signal data on the LG). I then tried the disc that gave a blank screen last night, and... it gave a blank screen. The difference between the two titles? The one that worked was HDR10 only, while the one that blanked out was Dolby Vision. The only setting I was hesitant to mess with is on the Denon: the 4k Signal Format. The options are Standard (4k 60p 4:2:0 8-bit) and Enhanced (4k 60p 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 10-bit), and the default is Standard. Does Dolby Vision need the Enhanced setting? Why else would Dolby Vision fail (everybody in the chain supports it)?
In the OPPO, change the Dolby Vision output setting from AUTO to TV LED. AUTO is not working properly in the latest firmware.

In the Denon, use the “Enhanced” setting for 4K.

In the LG, check that HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color is enabled for the HDMI Input you are using. (General settings)

In the LG, wave the magic remote until the pointer appears on screen. Position the pointer in the upper left corner of the screen and click there to display what the LG is receiving. To dismiss that display click again away from that info and then use any Arrow button on the LG remote to dismiss the pointer on screen.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #36466 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,295
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
In the OPPO, change the Dolby Vision output setting from AUTO to TV LED. AUTO is not working properly in the latest firmware.

—Bob
Does AUTO not work at all, or does it pick the wrong approach? I have Sony TVs and they need to have it be player LED.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is online now  
post #36467 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,207
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Does AUTO not work at all, or does it pick the wrong approach? I have Sony TVs and they need to have it be player LED.
It may pick the wrong method. Choose TV LED or PLAYER LED directly according to what works with your TV.
--Bob
bwillcox, Keenan and galonzo like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #36468 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Update to latest firmware?

Hi all, I haven’t updated my OPPO in quite a while, mostly due to being busy, streaming more content than watching on disc, etc... but recently I’ve experienced a very slight but noticeable lip sync issue while watching two Blu-ray discs (not UHD to be clear) and I’m wondering if updating my machine to the latest firmware might solve the problem?

I have an LG e7p and did turn of Real Cinema (all of my other processing such as TruMotion is also set to off) and that seemed to help. I tried turning TruMotion to User and setting both options to 0 but the slight sync issue persisted. Turning Real Cinema off works better for me. Also, I am running my audio through a Harman Kardon 1610 and via optical.

I just wanted to take the temperature of the board here about the latest firmware. Does it introduce more issues than it fixes? Or is it a safe update that is going to give me better results across the board?

Thanks!
ran1283 is offline  
post #36469 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RagtopFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
Hi all, I haven’t updated my OPPO in quite a while, mostly due to being busy, streaming more content than watching on disc, etc... but recently I’ve experienced a very slight but noticeable lip sync issue while watching two Blu-ray discs (not UHD to be clear) and I’m wondering if updating my machine to the latest firmware might solve the problem?

I have an LG e7p and did turn of Real Cinema (all of my other processing such as TruMotion is also set to off) and that seemed to help. I tried turning TruMotion to User and setting both options to 0 but the slight sync issue persisted. Turning Real Cinema off works better for me. Also, I am running my audio through a Harman Kardon 1610 and via optical.

I just wanted to take the temperature of the board here about the latest firmware. Does it introduce more issues than it fixes? Or is it a safe update that is going to give me better results across the board?

Thanks!
I haven't noticed any issues on my end.
ran1283 likes this.

Spoiler!
RagtopFE is online now  
post #36470 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Vader424242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
In the OPPO, change the Dolby Vision output setting from AUTO to TV LED. AUTO is not working properly in the latest firmware.

In the Denon, use the “Enhanced” setting for 4K.

In the LG, check that HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color is enabled for the HDMI Input you are using. (General settings)

In the LG, wave the magic remote until the pointer appears on screen. Position the pointer in the upper left corner of the screen and click there to display what the LG is receiving. To dismiss that display click again away from that info and then use any Arrow button on the LG remote to dismiss the pointer on screen.
—Bob

Hi Bob,

The HDMI Ultra Color was enabled automatically when it sensed the Oppo. When I tried to enable the "Enhanced" setting in the Denon, it told me that my display (the LG) was not currently configured for enhanced video (I have no idea how to do this, and am hesitant of messing around in advanced settings). So, I am currently limited to 8-bit color. Could this be the problem (does Dolby Vision require 10-bit color?)

I did change the UHD Dolby Vision setting in the Oppo to "TV-led," which made no difference (I then tried Player-led, with the same results). Everything else is Auto, and there is no scaling or conversion going on in the Denon. At least since HDR-10 works flawlessly, I know it has to be a configuration issue somewhere specific to Dolby Vision (or am I assuming too much?). My Oppo is currently on the 60-0625 firmware (I do not need HDR10+), and past experience has taught me to upgrade firmware only when something does not work correctly (obviously this may qualify). Does the current FW have anything with regards to Dolby Vision?

Peace... Vader
 

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

 

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....


Last edited by Vader424242; 06-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Vader424242 is offline  
post #36471 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
meli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Tonight I saw something I've never seen before. I was playing a Netflix disc, the image froze for a few seconds (like it will when hitting a bad scratch), and then a message came up stating something like "This disc may be an illegal copy or damaged". Has anyone seen something like this before? Is the message encoded on the disc? Or is it programmed into the player?

I cleaned the disc to no effect, but then I cycled the Oppo's power and the disc played with no problem. But I'm still wondering about the source of the message.
meli is online now  
post #36472 of 36767 Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
The HDMI Ultra Color was enabled automatically when it sensed the Oppo. When I tried to enable the "Enhanced" setting in the Denon, it told me that my display (the LG) was not currently configured for enhanced video (I have no idea how to do this, and am hesitant of messing around in advanced settings). So, I am currently limited to 8-bit color. Could this be the problem (does Dolby Vision require 10-bit color?)
I think it would be a very sensible troubleshooting step to bypass the Denon by connecting the Oppo directly to the TV and see what result that gives.
Neil S. Bulk and galonzo like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
steverobertsbbc is online now  
post #36473 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
hlindstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Hi Bob,

The HDMI Ultra Color was enabled automatically when it sensed the Oppo. When I tried to enable the "Enhanced" setting in the Denon, it told me that my display (the LG) was not currently configured for enhanced video (I have no idea how to do this, and am hesitant of messing around in advanced settings). So, I am currently limited to 8-bit color. Could this be the problem (does Dolby Vision require 10-bit color?)
Your LG needs to be put to "advanced" input mode so that it accepts all the latest 10/12-bit 4:4:4 HDR WCG bells & whistles signals. This is done via LG setup menus and is possible seperately for each HDMI input. I think somebody already suggested this.
No reason to be hesitant. They are software settings and choosing wrong won't damage anything.

You will find the setting under Picture -> Additional Settings -> HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color
http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual...u_b__enga.html
galonzo likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB

Last edited by hlindstr; 06-14-2019 at 12:07 AM.
hlindstr is offline  
post #36474 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,577
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Tonight I saw something I've never seen before. I was playing a Netflix disc, the image froze for a few seconds (like it will when hitting a bad scratch), and then a message came up stating something like "This disc may be an illegal copy or damaged". Has anyone seen something like this before? Is the message encoded on the disc? Or is it programmed into the player?

I cleaned the disc to no effect, but then I cycled the Oppo's power and the disc played with no problem. But I'm still wondering about the source of the message.
That would be some copy protection on the disc itself.
meli likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #36475 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
SkyCyberguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post
Make sure you are not using an older CAT5 ethernet cable. My experience with a router to computer connection is that a CAT5 would not allow much over 70 Mb/s, although spec'ed to work 100 Mb/s. CAT6 cable brought speed back up to ISP's advertised 155 Mb/s. I did not try a CAT5E, supposed to work at 1 Gb/s, but did not have one on hand, using exclusively CAT6 cables and 1 Gb/s switches now.
I'm using CAT5 and have 200+MBit/s.
This whole CAT thing is confusion par excellence.
The plugs are ALWAYS CAT5 (there currently is no higher spec for them) from what I've heard.
So it only depends on the quality of the cable itself.
And there are good CAT5 cables as well as bad CAT7 cables and everything in between.
Just like with HDMI.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
SkyCyberguy is offline  
post #36476 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
It may pick the wrong method. Choose TV LED or PLAYER LED directly according to what works with your TV.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
I haven't noticed any issues on my end.
Hi guys, so before updating I went back through the last couple months and I’m seeing a lot of people having issues with playing UHD content that they weren’t having prior to updating. It’s giving me pause. Is updating going to cause issues with watching UHD discs on my Oppo? I have an E7P. It seems like the Dolby vision problem does not affect the 7 series LG OLEDs?

I’d really appreciate any feedback. Don’t want to update and then realize I’m worse off than I was before.

Thanks again!
ran1283 is offline  
post #36477 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 12:45 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,284
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
Hi guys, so before updating I went back through the last couple months and I’m seeing a lot of people having issues with playing UHD content that they weren’t having prior to updating. It’s giving me pause. Is updating going to cause issues with watching UHD discs on my Oppo? I have an E7P. It seems like the Dolby vision problem does not affect the 7 series LG OLEDs?

I’d really appreciate any feedback. Don’t want to update and then realize I’m worse off than I was before.

Thanks again!
Zero issues - 1gb wired using winnfsd for streaming. 304 ripped to MKV - no issues with DTS x or atmos playback. (I haven't played back all of them in their entirety but have tested all of them for general playback). My TV does not support DV so I can't comment on that. No stuttering, no long load times. If there is a particular movie you'd like me test a few minutes of, if I have it, I'm happy to check it out.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by boe; 06-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.
boe is offline  
post #36478 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
Hi guys, so before updating I went back through the last couple months and I’m seeing a lot of people having issues with playing UHD content that they weren’t having prior to updating. It’s giving me pause. Is updating going to cause issues with watching UHD discs on my Oppo? I have an E7P. It seems like the Dolby vision problem does not affect the 7 series LG OLEDs?
The only issue recently is the LG 6 series being fed the player-led profile for DV as opposed to the correct tv-led when set to auto, even if this were to happen to you setting DV to tv-led resolves it.
galonzo likes this.
dianebrat is offline  
post #36479 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RagtopFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ran1283 View Post
Hi guys, so before updating I went back through the last couple months and I’m seeing a lot of people having issues with playing UHD content that they weren’t having prior to updating. It’s giving me pause. Is updating going to cause issues with watching UHD discs on my Oppo? I have an E7P. It seems like the Dolby vision problem does not affect the 7 series LG OLEDs?

I’d really appreciate any feedback. Don’t want to update and then realize I’m worse off than I was before.

Thanks again!
I don't have an LG display, or Dolby Vision.
My Samsung with HDR10 hasn't shown any issues with the latest update.
galonzo likes this.

Spoiler!
RagtopFE is online now  
post #36480 of 36767 Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Zero issues - 1gb wired using winnfsd for streaming. 304 ripped to MKV - no issues with DTS x or atmos playback. (I haven't played back all of them in their entirety but have tested all of them for general playback). My TV does not support DV so I can't comment on that. No stuttering, no long load times. If there is a particular movie you'd like me test a few minutes of, if I have it, I'm happy to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The only issue recently is the LG 6 series being fed the player-led profile for DV as opposed to the correct tv-led when set to auto, even if this were to happen to you setting DV to tv-led resolves it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
I don't have an LG display, or Dolby Vision.
My Samsung with HDR10 hasn't shown any issues with the latest update.
Thank you guys! I’m updating my firmware. Appreciate the feedback.
galonzo and RagtopFE like this.
ran1283 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off