Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278836Likes

post #36541 of 36767 Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Mine does this with my Synology NAS if the NAS takes too long to respond, like a sort of time-out error. Because of it I had to disable the HDD hibernation in the NAS. Anyways, cold booting the Oppo does clear the issue as long as I haven't messed with the login credentials in the mean time.
Interestingly for me, even though my NAS boxes do go into standby, the Oppos gracefully handle waiting on them to spin up the drives, my issues happen after I have started browsing the directories and I do something like dropping back to the home screen and go back into the Network section. It is very strange.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36542 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Have they asked you to capture a "Log File" of the HDMI handshake failure happening? That can give them good clues as to where things are going pear shaped.
I asked Oppo support about this and this is their response:

"There is, but since operations for OPPO Digital has winded down, it may take awhile before we hear from the Factory Team."

I have not yet had a chance to do any further testing, maybe this weekend.
post #36543 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi all,

I have read on several boards how HDR10 clips the whites, and that by forcing Dolby Vision this does not happen. Exactly what am I doing by forcing DV over HDR10? To my understanding, HDR10 has static metadata and DV has dynamic, correct? Obviously, the player can not generate the dynamic metadata where there is none in the source.... right? So is it mapping HDR10's static metadata to... what? A dynamic stream generated in real time by the player? I watched an HDR10 title last night with this option, and the TV (LG C9) identified the incoming signal as DV, but what is it seeing? As has been obvious by my previous posts, I I have a great deal to learn about all of this, so forgive me if I am way off base...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36544 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Hi all,

I have read on several boards how HDR10 clips the whites, and that by forcing Dolby Vision this does not happen. Exactly what am I doing by forcing DV over HDR10? To my understanding, HDR10 has static metadata and DV has dynamic, correct? Obviously, the player can not generate the dynamic metadata where there is none in the source.... right? So is it mapping HDR10's static metadata to... what? A dynamic stream generated in real time by the player? I watched an HDR10 title last night with this option, and the TV (LG C9) identified the incoming signal as DV, but what is it seeing? As has been obvious by my previous posts, I I have a great deal to learn about all of this, so forgive me if I am way off base...

Good question, also curious about this!

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #36545 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Hi all,

HDR10 does not clip the whites.
Displays that cannot display the luminance levels of the display clip the whites or have mechanisms, such as dynamic tone-mapping to avoid this.

The DV conversion is supplied by Dolby so they would have to provide this information.

An option to convert only HDR10 to DV would be nice (Dolby Vision when HDR10).

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #36546 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I was wondering if the oppo offered a way to bookmark folder locations or files on my LAN for quick access.

I see that the oppo home screen menu has a Favorites icon. Checking the manual, it left me with the impression that this is only to bookmark tracks or files on a specific disk, which is not what I am looking for.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

_____

Axel

post #36547 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
So, bout 6 months ago I bought a Panasonic UB820 for its HDR Optimizer/Tone Mapping and I have been using it exclusively with my JVC Projector. During this time, My OPPO 203 has been sitting in its original box on a shelf doing diddly squat. I actually forgot I had it. For this reason, I am thinking about selling it. What do you guys think would be a reasonable price for a region free modded (hardware) UDP203?
post #36548 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
So, bout 6 months ago I bought a Panasonic UB820 for its HDR Optimizer/Tone Mapping and I have been using it exclusively with my JVC Projector. During this time, My OPPO 203 has been sitting in its original box on a shelf doing diddly squat. I actually forgot I had it. For this reason, I am thinking about selling it. What do you guys think would be a reasonable price for a region free modded (hardware) UDP203?

I'll give you my entirely subjective feedback.

Given the scarcity of supply with the production run long since ended, I think it is fair to command a small profit--without gouging as some unscrupulous e-commerce resellers are attempting. I would take my total acquisition cost (presumably something around $650 including the price of the mod) and add $100 plus any shipping costs, so probably somewhere around $800 to $850 but no more than $1,000. This way you can off-load a unit you no longer need, pocket a nice little profit, and still feel good about your actions. HOWEVER, at that price I would be selective about my buyer, trying to avoid feeding one of the aforementioned resellers looking to flip it at an astronomical markup.

But then, if you are so in the chips that you can forget you have a mint, boxed UDP-203 sitting on a shelf, maybe you can afford to give it away to one of your fellow AVSForum thread brothers.
giomania, cepheid, galonzo and 6 others like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #36549 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I was wondering if the oppo offered a way to bookmark folder locations or files on my LAN for quick access.

I see that the oppo home screen menu has a Favorites icon. Checking the manual, it left me with the impression that this is only to bookmark tracks or files on a specific disk, which is not what I am looking for.
The Favorites icon is only for locally attached USB storage. I asked that support be added for Favorites from SMB shares early on in the beta cycle, but Oppo never got around to adding it. At this point it's extremely unlikely we'll see them change how the feature works.
galonzo likes this.
post #36550 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
What do you guys think would be a reasonable price for a region free modded (hardware) UDP203?
The moderators weighed in on this a few days ago when someone asked pretty much the same question in either this or one of the other threads in that this isn't the place to discuss pricing. It's easy enough to check completed listings on ebay though...
galonzo likes this.
post #36551 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 01:16 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The Favorites icon is only for locally attached USB storage. I asked that support be added for Favorites from SMB shares early on in the beta cycle, but Oppo never got around to adding it. At this point it's extremely unlikely we'll see them change how the feature works.

When I go into the Network section, it goes back to the folder location I last left it. Not exactly like Favorites, but that is somewhat useful.

I have a QNAP NAS, and am pretty sure I am accessing the share via SMB.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #36552 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, you are probably right about the likelihood of an implementation at this stage.

_____

Axel

post #36553 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
When I go into the Network section, it goes back to the folder location I last left it. Not exactly like Favorites, but that is somewhat useful.

I have a QNAP NAS, and am pretty sure I am accessing the share via SMB.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting.

I always get kicked back to the starting point and then I have to drill down to the sub folder I was just at before I launched the wrong file in that sub folder . This is with the files residing on a Win10 machine, shared with SMB.

_____

Axel
boe likes this.

post #36554 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Interesting.

I always get kicked back to the starting point and then I have to drill down to the sub folder I was just at before I launched the wrong file in that sub folder . This is with the files residing on a Win10 machine, shared with SMB.

_____

Axel
This describes my experience as well though with a Win7 machine.

Being dropped into the folder you were in last time would be extremely handy.
post #36555 of 36767 Old 06-21-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
HDR10 does not clip the whites.
Displays that cannot display the luminance levels of the display clip the whites or have mechanisms, such as dynamic tone-mapping to avoid this.
Thank you for your reply, Rich!

So, being a 2019 OLED (LG C9), is it safe to assume that my display is capable of displaying the whites without clipping them?

Quote:
An option to convert only HDR10 to DV would be nice (Dolby Vision when HDR10).
Isn't that what we have? I read the option as "converting everything HDR to DV when possible," meaning convert HDR10 signals to DV (native DV stays as-is).... or am I completely missing the mark?

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #36556 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oppo 203 is not replaying 4k DVDs while Panasonic UB900 is with same setup

I bought a Oppo 203 as an upgrade from my previous 103 for playing 4k materials. But it is not playing anything when I am setting display to anything above 1080P Auto. Oppo is not able to lock to the DVD content, fails to show Video, only plays Audio, but breaking up every 10 seconds annoyingly.
My Project is JVC DLA-X790, which is 4k capable, the Audio processor is Theta Cassablanca, also 4k capable. I am using CAT6 cable with HDMI converter to connect Oppo to Projector. The same set up with the exact same equipment and cable, Panasonic DMP-UB900 is playing 4k just fine.
Can't figure out what the issue maybe. Will greatly appreciate any help! Hopefully I am missing something in Oppo Setup. If that's not the case, then I have to return this, which will be really sad.
post #36557 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Thank you for your reply, Rich!

So, being a 2019 OLED (LG C9), is it safe to assume that my display is capable of displaying the whites without clipping them?

Isn't that what we have? I read the option as "converting everything HDR to DV when possible," meaning convert HDR10 signals to DV (native DV stays as-is).... or am I completely missing the mark?
The C9 tone-mapping can display the whites with limited clipping.

The Oppo converts SDR and HDR10 to DV.
I would prefer only converting HDR10.

- Rich
Vader424242 and galonzo like this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #36558 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The C9 tone-mapping can display the whites with limited clipping.

The Oppo converts SDR and HDR10 to DV.
I would prefer only converting HDR10.

- Rich

Ah.... gotcha. Thanks again!...

Peace... Vader

post #36559 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu7 View Post
I bought a Oppo 203 as an upgrade from my previous 103 for playing 4k materials. But it is not playing anything when I am setting display to anything above 1080P Auto. Oppo is not able to lock to the DVD content, fails to show Video, only plays Audio, but breaking up every 10 seconds annoyingly.
My Project is JVC DLA-X790, which is 4k capable, the Audio processor is Theta Cassablanca, also 4k capable. I am using CAT6 cable with HDMI converter to connect Oppo to Projector. The same set up with the exact same equipment and cable, Panasonic DMP-UB900 is playing 4k just fine.
Can't figure out what the issue maybe. Will greatly appreciate any help! Hopefully I am missing something in Oppo Setup. If that's not the case, then I have to return this, which will be really sad.

Maybe a stupid thought, but since the 203 has (3) HDMI connections in the back, did you connect the video signal to the correct one 'HDMI Output (Main)', i.e. the left one, looking at it from the back

Did you change anything on the oppo's video settings? Also, maybe doing a factory reset to start over might be an idea.

_____

Axel
giomania and galonzo like this.

post #36560 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 12:51 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Maybe a stupid thought, but since the 203 has (3) HDMI connections in the back, did you connect the video signal to the correct one 'HDMI Output (Main)', i.e. the left one, looking at it from the back

Did you change anything on the oppo's video settings? Also, maybe doing a factory reset to start over might be an idea.

_____

Axel
I think that would be a good start - if resetting the unit to factory defaults is an option - he could use the settings in the oppo to force it to 4K - then see if he can still see the menu in the oppo - if not something beyond the oppo has a setting that isn't allowing 4K signal either the processor or the projector.
post #36561 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Thanks much Axel and Boe! Will try that. I don't think Processor is a roadblock. JVC Projector is not native 4k, it is called eShift. However, Panasonic UB is perfectly talking with both Projector & Processor. Oppo has the latest upgrade, as I checked and found.
post #36562 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:

_____

Axel
I actually did check that. Since the other one is called "Audio" I connected the Audio HDMI there. That leaves me with only option to connect Video HDMI to the main one. But that's a good point and folks can miss it inadvertently. Thanks for mentioning!
post #36563 of 36767 Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGA View Post
I asked Oppo support about this and this is their response:

"There is, but since operations for OPPO Digital has winded down, it may take awhile before we hear from the Factory Team."

I have not yet had a chance to do any further testing, maybe this weekend.
Hi.. can you post the email for costumer support I want to ask them something.. Thank you..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #36564 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Hi.. can you post the email for costumer support I want to ask them something.. Thank you..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
galonzo and jorgebetancourt like this.
post #36565 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Did it work before?

Is the FAQ of any help? How do I access SMB shares on Windows 10?

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I've had my Oppos do that occasionally and what I do is put them in standby, pull the plug for about 10 seconds, plug them back in and the saved credentials work again.

They seem to get in a weird state like that sometimes but a cold boot always fixes the weird authentication state with SMB to my NAS.
I noticed that after getting the SMB to work it's still not completely fixed since only DTS material is providing any audio. I'm not getting audio from any Dolby material such as Atmos or TrueHD. I'm perplexed because I'm using bitstream as the HDMI output. Don't know if I need to make another change in the 203 settings?

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #36566 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I noticed that after getting the SMB to work it's still not completely fixed since only DTS material is providing any audio. I'm not getting audio from any Dolby material such as Atmos or TrueHD. I'm perplexed because I'm using bitstream as the HDMI output. Don't know if I need to make another change in the 203 settings?
If you're playing files, such as MKV containers, Dolby TrueHD and Atmos will only play if you reboot the player first and play that before doing anything else. Be sure to use energy efficient standby.
mutelight and galonzo like this.
post #36567 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
If you're playing files, such as MKV containers, Dolby TrueHD and Atmos will only play if you reboot the player first and play that before doing anything else. Be sure to use energy efficient standby.
Yes, they're .mkv files. Ok, I'll try that next time, weird how it works though... thanks!

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #36568 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have definitely had my Oppos get in a weird state like that where it isn't playing any Dolby Atmos content but have only seen it when I navigate to my folder which has a bunch of demo clips that are short and one clip plays after another. I have not noticed it when watching my full disc backups but perhaps it has to do with the longer duration and something strange is happening when it the player ends the stream and then flips over to the next one.

Quote:
Nice tip, I shall give that a try with my demo clips and see if that alleviates the problem. Thanks!
post #36569 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
I think they also will play, without rebooting, if you have another soundtrack on the mkv to switch to. Then switch back.

Something like rip a French soundtrack and the soundtrack you want. Then, when playing, if the sound doesn't start switch to the French soundtrack and then switch back to the soundtrack you actually want to play.
galonzo likes this.
post #36570 of 36767 Old 06-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I think they also will play, without rebooting, if you have another soundtrack on the mkv to switch to. Then switch back.

Something like rip a French soundtrack and the soundtrack you want. Then, when playing, if the sound doesn't start switch to the French soundtrack and then switch back to the soundtrack you actually want to play.
True, as long as the secondary audio is DD (AC3).
galonzo and codyrocco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page