Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279069Likes

post #37021 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
Can anyone with the latest FW confirm if they fixed the HDR off BT2020 color issue? Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The latest firmware is 2/08/2019. It did not address the lack of color saturation in the HDR off BT2020 if that was the issue you were questioning.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37022 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It's more about bitrate than file size, even though the 2 go hand in hand. For example, a 4 hour video that's 50GB is likely to have less issues than a 1 hour video that's 20GB as that 1 hour video will most likely have a higher bitrate. It's all about how many bytes need to be transferred per second. If your home network isn't Gigabit within the house, that's one place where you can upgrade and make a difference - if nothing else, make sure the source of your files (NAS, Mac, etc.) and your Oppo are both connected to a Gigabit switch. Even if your router isn't Gigabit, having the devices that have to talk to each other on a Gigabit switch will work.
I’m currently using the Velop mesh network with multiple nodes at 5ghz. But more importantly, I’m using the AirPort Extreme as NAS (connected via Ethernet to my node). The AirPort Extreme has only USB 2.0 via which I’ve connected an external HDD. Could USB 2.0 be the culprit?

Basically, the chain is:

External Portable HDD > connected via USB 2.0 AirPort Extreme > connected via gigabit Ethernet Velop/Wi-Fi node > connected via 5ghz dedicated backhaul Bedroom Velop/Wi-fi node > connected via gigabit Ethernet > Oppo

So I guess the culprit is either:

1) Airport Extreme’s USB 2.0
Or
2) The wireless backhaul between the two nodes.

I could get a Synology NAS but if the problem is (2), then it would be pointless. In which case, putting the Airport in the bedroom and wiring it might solve the issue.

Essentially, is USB 2.0 a problem?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #37023 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
The latest firmware is 2/08/2019. It did not address the lack of color saturation in the HDR off BT2020 if that was the issue you were questioning.

Yep that’s what I was referring to. Thanks for confirming, think I’ll stay with my 54 firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37024 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I’m currently using the Velop mesh network with multiple nodes at 5ghz. But more importantly, I’m using the AirPort Extreme as NAS (connected via Ethernet to my node). The AirPort Extreme has only USB 2.0 via which I’ve connected an external HDD. Could USB 2.0 be the culprit?

Basically, the chain is:

External Portable HDD > connected via USB 2.0 AirPort Extreme > connected via gigabit Ethernet Velop/Wi-Fi node > connected via 5ghz dedicated backhaul Bedroom Velop/Wi-fi node > connected via gigabit Ethernet > Oppo

So I guess the culprit is either:

1) Airport Extreme’s USB 2.0
Or
2) The wireless backhaul between the two nodes.

I could get a Synology NAS but if the problem is (2), then it would be pointless. In which case, putting the Airport in the bedroom and wiring it might solve the issue.

Essentially, is USB 2.0 a problem?

I don't think the USB connection is a problem. It can handle up to 400+ Mbit/s traffic, so it should be able to do its bit.

The Velop mesh network is worth looking at. In a review, they found that while it is fast when it works, it has been less reliable than desired.

One thing to test may be (if possible) to connect to the router by the ethernet cable to the oppo. Or wirelessly to the Oppo, bypassing the mesh.
srinivas1015 likes this.
post #37025 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I don't think the USB connection is a problem. It can handle up to 400+ Mbit/s traffic, so it should be able to do its bit.

The Velop mesh network is worth looking at. In a review, they found that while it is fast when it works, it has been less reliable than desired.

One thing to test may be (if possible) to connect to the router by the ethernet cable to the oppo. Or wirelessly to the Oppo, bypassing the mesh.
Thanks, I'll first give connecting via ethernet a shot, and then will also try another file, just in case it's this particular mkv that's broken and hence causing skips/instability.

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #37026 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 627
post #37027 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Interesting comment about dynamic tone mapping in the Oppo.
I shared those observations by madshi. They were easy to see with test patterns. It always made me think there was something going on, that if harnessed differently, could have led to better over all tone mapping performance.

Alas years later we still have no update changing the game. Is there still light at the end of the ever darkening tunnel?
mikela likes this.

JVC X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen (Flexi-White) - ub820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - Xbone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + AVR-3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - Dayton - BIC Sub
post #37028 of 37079 Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You can use the new Auto/Safe choice for Color Space to change the priority the player puts on format vs. bandwidth in the video output handshake.
—Bob
Any details on exactly what Auto/Safe does? What is the difference in priority? I've experimented with it some and can't tell the difference between Auto and Auto/Safe.
post #37029 of 37079 Old 09-13-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Interesting comment about dynamic tone mapping in the Oppo.
I'm trading up from an unopened eShift JVC DLA-RS440 to a native 4K RS1000 (NX5), and the just announced October frame-by-frame Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware upgrade for JVC's native 4K projectors (including the RS1000) has allowed me to choose to stay with my 203 rather than buying a Panasonic UB9000, since I wouldn't be using player tone mapping at all.

This means that I can apply the $1,000 cost of a UB9000 to the projector upgrade.

But if I'm going to use the projector's tone-mapping, will it be possible to tell the Oppo not to do any tone-mapping of its own? That piece linked to above seems to imply that it isn't.

PS I just searched the PDF manual for the 203 for "mapping" and it found nothing, and all searches for "tone" found only audio functions.
SimpleTheater likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 09-13-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #37030 of 37079 Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Video Processing in OPPO only

I am going to route all the video through the OPPO (via a 4K HDMI switch) then to the display. It would be preferable to let the OPPO do the video processing/adjustments and the TV just display what it receives, with minimal processing (except for local dimming, etc.). Any thoughts on this? The other extreme is source direct from the OPPO, but I think it may outperform the Samsung. Hard to say.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences!
post #37031 of 37079 Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I am going to route all the video through the OPPO (via a 4K HDMI switch) then to the display. It would be preferable to let the OPPO do the video processing/adjustments and the TV just display what it receives, with minimal processing (except for local dimming, etc.). Any thoughts on this? The other extreme is source direct from the OPPO, but I think it may outperform the Samsung. Hard to say.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences!
I'd compare the two, see which is better, if you are unsure. I route my video through the 203 (as I did before with my 103D), and have no issue at all with it.
post #37032 of 37079 Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I'm trading up from an unopened eShift JVC DLA-RS440 to a native 4K RS1000 (NX5), and the just announced October frame-by-frame Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware upgrade for JVC's native 4K projectors (including the RS1000) has allowed me to choose to stay with my 203 rather than buying a Panasonic UB9000, since I wouldn't be using player tone mapping at all.

This means that I can apply the $1,000 cost of a UB9000 to the projector upgrade.

But if I'm going to use the projector's tone-mapping, will it be possible to tell the Oppo not to do any tone-mapping of its own? That piece linked to above seems to imply that it isn't.

PS I just searched the PDF manual for the 203 for "mapping" and it found nothing, and all searches for "tone" found only audio functions.
The 203 can send an un processed HDR signal, so you should be good.

The challenge, how will the pending JVC DTM update compare to all of the alternatives? It is not unreasonable to be skeptical of the advanced information from JVC given past execution.

The consensus seems to be the nx5 is worth the extra $$$ by itself, whether the new DTM delivers on the advertised promise or not.

If the DTM falls short, and you need to revist an alternative to the 203, do not underestimate the video performance value of the less expensive 420 and 820. The 9000 is not necessary to realize optimal video performance... imho.
galonzo likes this.

JVC X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen (Flexi-White) - ub820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - Xbone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + AVR-3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - Dayton - BIC Sub
post #37033 of 37079 Old 09-14-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I continue to be at a loss to understand why my 203 is either perfect or awful (very little in between) at streaming DMB shares (FLAC files ripped at level 6) over wi-fi from my Synology NAS.

I have Sky superfast broadband with their newest router.

At 2am it is perfect. Lightning fast. Art loads instantly. Music starts instantly.

At 9:30 am, for instance, its sluggish as hell. Art doesn't load. Music stutters. The remote doesn't work. Its just awful - while my Denon receiver seems just fine at the exact same time. I should note, however, that at times both the Oppo and the Denon receiver lose track of what I am playing - so while I might be listening to track 4 the display is already telling me I'm listening to track 5...

I realise network traffic is greater at 9:30am. But I'm getting about 60mbps at 2am and about 40 mbps now. So it can't make all that much difference surely?

Is there a trick to improving this - other than a wired connection? I've tried network standby on/off with no apparent difference. Is it basically a problem with streaming largish FLAC files over MP3?

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 09-14-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #37034 of 37079 Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
I continue to be at a loss to understand why my 203 is either perfect or awful (very little in between) at streaming DMB shares (FLAC files ripped at level 6) over wi-fi from my Synology NAS.

At 2am it is perfect. Lightning fast. Art loads instantly. Music starts instantly.

At 9:30 am, for instance, its sluggish as hell. Art doesn't load. Music stutters. The remote doesn't work. Its just awful - while my Denon receiver seems just fine at the exact same time. I should note, however, that at times both the Oppo and the Denon receiver lose track of what I am playing - so while I might be listening to track 4 the display is already telling me I'm listening to track 5...

I realise network traffic is greater at 9:30am. But I'm getting about 60mbps at 2am and about 40 mbps now. So it can't make all that much difference surely?

Is there a trick to improving this - other than a wired connection? I've tried network standby on/off with no apparent difference. Is it basically a problem with streaming largish FLAC files over MP3?
For this scenario, it’s not about aggregate data rates (i.e. total Mbps), it’s about packet loss. If you are simply transferring a file, packet loss isn’t the “end of the world”, as the underlying protocols will recognize and recover those lost packets. But if you are streaming content, and, also incurring significant packet loss, then that presents itself in undesirable ways (e.g. stuttering, etc.). Again, the networking protocols will take steps to recover those lost packets, but that breaks up the whole streaming process.

Just the fact that you see different rates, at different times, within your own (internal) WiFi network is an indication that it is suffering from some sort of interference, possibly from other WiFi networks, and/or from some other electronic devices. (E.G. I’ve witnessed WiFi disruption while a microwave oven was running. Although it isn’t likely that it is bleeding microwave radiation, it is bleeding other radio spectrum interference, and the point is, that other devices are capable of a similar behavior.)

I have no idea if you are in an apartment, or have other houses, 10 feet away, or what your situation might be, but I can only guess that other WiFi networks might be part of the problem. I also know nothing about your Sky device, but _most_ WiFi routers are configurable. There are a number of WiFi “channels” that are utilized by each of the WiFi spectrums, and the default setting on most WiFi routers is to allow the device to “Auto select” a channel. However, most (decent) WiFi routers also allow you to manually select a specific channel. Assuming that you have access to your Sky device, and that it is configurable, you might try selecting (and testing) different channels, in the hope that you can find one that is “less impacted” by other routers in your “neighborhood”.

(If you hard-code a channel,the connecting devices will then, also lock into that channel, when they attach to your specific SSID.)
Crazytrekker, galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by Serenity; 09-14-2019 at 08:29 AM.
post #37035 of 37079 Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I agree with Serenity - Wifi can be very fickle, It could be a microwave, blender, Apple TV, printer or competing wifi from neighbors jamming up your traffic. It could just be other traffic on your home network such as someone streaming. I highly recommending running an ethernet cable to your Oppo as frankly the receiver on them isn't great - it isn't terrible but I can get great signal with my laptop right next to the oppo when the oppo barely gets signal.
Crazytrekker likes this.
post #37036 of 37079 Old 09-14-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:

Your broadband speed has nothing to do with this since the streaming is over your LAN. Wifi interference may have everything to do with this.

I recommend you find the cleanest 5 GHz wifi channel available at 9am and set your router to that channel. I use this android app on my smart phone available from the google play store. I would expect the iPhone App store would have a similar app if you have an iphone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.wifianalyzer

I have no experience with Synology NAS but could it be doing disk maintenance at 9am such as backups or RAID management?
Crazytrekker, galonzo and stikle like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #37037 of 37079 Old 09-15-2019, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Is there a trick to improving this - other than a wired connection? I've tried network standby on/off with no apparent difference.
Just to pick up on this point, if running an ethernet cable between the router and player is difficult, have you considered using a pair of powerline ethernet adaptors to make the connection over your mains wiring? This is how I connect my router upstairs to my AV gear downstairs and it works very well.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
post #37038 of 37079 Old 09-15-2019, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I have just bought Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and I’m wondering is it better to connect my Oppo UDP-203 with one HDMI cable to the receiver to transfer audio and video or to use two separate HDMI cabels. One for video signal directly to display device and one to transfer audio to the receiver. I’m not sure is Sony receiver just passing video signal to display or is it adding some processing. I would like to enjoy video processed only with Oppo.
Thanks
post #37039 of 37079 Old 09-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbuljan View Post
Hi,
I have just bought Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and I’m wondering is it better to connect my Oppo UDP-203 with one HDMI cable to the receiver to transfer audio and video or to use two separate HDMI cabels. One for video signal directly to display device and one to transfer audio to the receiver. I’m not sure is Sony receiver just passing video signal to display or is it adding some processing. I would like to enjoy video processed only with Oppo.
Thanks
For me, it's a no-brainer. I never want to have to give any thought to whether my receiver has potentially introduced any modifications into my video content. Even though it might not be doing that initially, you never know what you might get 'for free' (i.e. unintentional alterations) in a firmware upgrade on the receiver. Bottom line, assuming that you have sufficient HDMI inputs on the TV, feeding it directly is (IMHO) the only way to go.
galonzo and Russ_64 like this.
post #37040 of 37079 Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
For me, it's a no-brainer. I never want to have to give any thought to whether my receiver has potentially introduced any modifications into my video content. Even though it might not be doing that initially, you never know what you might get 'for free' (i.e. unintentional alterations) in a firmware upgrade on the receiver. Bottom line, assuming that you have sufficient HDMI inputs on the TV, feeding it directly is (IMHO) the only way to go.
For an alternative point of view, I prefer having my Yamaha receivers and prepro connected to the TV (and passing both audio and video into the Yamaha) so that I can have the Yamaha's info displayed on the TV screen. The front panel display on them simply isn't adequate. I've never observed any modification of the video signal passing through this way (the Yamaha's are set to video direct). Perhaps I'm just not critical enough?
vavan and SinGA like this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #37041 of 37079 Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
For an alternative point of view, I prefer having my Yamaha receivers and prepro connected to the TV (and passing both audio and video into the Yamaha) so that I can have the Yamaha's info displayed on the TV screen. The front panel display on them simply isn't adequate. I've never observed any modification of the video signal passing through this way (the Yamaha's are set to video direct). Perhaps I'm just not critical enough?
I fully respect your decision (really). I guess that I’ve just seen too many problem-solving threads, where folks end up having to eliminate ‘middle men’, in order to sort out problems, some of which did end up being attributed to the receiver. And (… please correct me if I’m wrong …) if you do have a receiver in the middle, it still has to play a part in the negotiation process, both from a copy protection perspective, and the possibility that it might not support the data rates that one might be planning to ‘push’ through it. And, again, whether it be due to bugs, or some other unexpected anomaly, those situations could result in the possibility of unwanted/unexpected changes to the content.

I tend to not care so much about getting the receiver OSD, and for most receiver configuration activities where I need it, I just change to a source that is fed through the receiver. Also, dumb question on my part, but if the video direct option (presumably) sends the data through, unaltered, how does the OSD content get ‘magically mixed into’ that content? Based solely on intuitition, I would have expected them to be mutually exclusive, but obviously my intuition must be wrong.
galonzo likes this.
post #37042 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 03:07 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
I fully respect your decision (really). I guess that I’ve just seen too many problem-solving threads, where folks end up having to eliminate ‘middle men’, in order to sort out problems, some of which did end up being attributed to the receiver. And (… please correct me if I’m wrong …) if you do have a receiver in the middle, it still has to play a part in the negotiation process, both from a copy protection perspective, and the possibility that it might not support the data rates that one might be planning to ‘push’ through it. And, again, whether it be due to bugs, or some other unexpected anomaly, those situations could result in the possibility of unwanted/unexpected changes to the content.

I tend to not care so much about getting the receiver OSD, and for most receiver configuration activities where I need it, I just change to a source that is fed through the receiver. Also, dumb question on my part, but if the video direct option (presumably) sends the data through, unaltered, how does the OSD content get ‘magically mixed into’ that content? Based solely on intuitition, I would have expected them to be mutually exclusive, but obviously my intuition must be wrong.
For another alternative.....

I run all my signals to a Lumagen which outputs simultaneously to the AVR and Projector. The Projector has 2 HDMI's (HDMI1 = Lumagen, HDMI2 = AVR) - so I setup for a movie with all the OSD of the AVR (and Oppo) to check video & audio set up correctly, and then switch to Projector HDMI1 to get a clean video only signal to the Projector from the Lumagen. AVR keeps processing just the audio.

Best of both worlds.
giomania, mikela and galonzo like this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #37043 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
For me, it's a no-brainer. I never want to have to give any thought to whether my receiver has potentially introduced any modifications into my video content.
The OPPO has video controls. A lot of them. Do you trust that when you disable those they're off?

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #37044 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
The OPPO has video controls. A lot of them. Do you trust that when you disable those they're off?
No, not really, but I guess your question sorta makes my original point. We’ve already seen OPPO settings that aren’t working as expected (e.g. a regression in the current firmware, resulting in the ‘pink screen’ problems), and I had lots of ‘fun and excitement’ with Dolby Vision in my LG G6 (before an eventual firmware fix for that issue), so even when one is dealing with only the minimum number of possible devices, it’s sometimes tricky to sort out the bugs, and get things right (or, ‘almost right’). Additionally, with so many (many) different formats, when including the legacy formats, all those being supported in new equipment, the ‘EDID negotiation universe’ is fraught with the possibilities of ‘things going sideways’. So, since OPPO did gift us with two HDMI outputs, I simply just choose to ‘jump on that’, and eliminate, yet another device, that has the potential of causing me even more, unwanted, video-related grief. Color me a pessimist…
galonzo, hernanu and mc_avs like this.
post #37045 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Auto shut off while playing audio files

This happened twice in the last few days: while the 203 is playing back FLAC files from an ExFAT hard drive, with Pure Audio engaged (to prevent burn in on my OLED TV), the 203 simply shuts off at some point.

Anyone else experienced that?
post #37046 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3826 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewler View Post
This happened twice in the last few days: while the 203 is playing back FLAC files from an ExFAT hard drive, with Pure Audio engaged (to prevent burn in on my OLED TV), the 203 simply shuts off at some point.

Anyone else experienced that?
In Device Setup, do you have the Oppo's Auto Power Off function set to on?
post #37047 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
In Device Setup, do you have the Oppo's Auto Power Off function set to on?
Yes, and it works as it should: shuts off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

This morning, the player just shut off after 15 minutes, while playing back audio, like it did a few days ago. I restarted the player, and it's been playing back audio for two hours now without any problem. When the 203 shuts off by itself, while playing back audio, there's no rhyme or reason to it (or so it seems).

By the way, I never experienced that auto shut off problem with optical discs, whether CDs or BDs, nor with MKV files from the same ExFAT hard drive where the FLAC files are.
post #37048 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewler View Post
Yes, and it works as it should: shuts off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

This morning, the player just shut off after 15 minutes, while playing back audio, like it did a few days ago. I restarted the player, and it's been playing back audio for two hours now without any problem. When the 203 shuts off by itself, while playing back audio, there's no rhyme or reason to it (or so it seems).

By the way, I never experienced that auto shut off problem with optical discs, whether CDs or BDs, nor with MKV files from the same ExFAT hard drive where the FLAC files are.
Check to be sure you have HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable) disabled in the OPPO. The shutoff command may be coming from some other portion of your system -- for example the TV, which might react that way after receiving 15 minutes of black video.

If you are using a programmable Remote, check to see if the shutoff is related to doing some other sort of operation with the Remote. There may be an error in your setup of that Remote such that it thinks you no longer need the OPPO powered when you do that other operation.
--Bob
oldsteve, galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #37049 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I have a problem where a folder name on my QNAP NAS is not showing the correct name when accessed via the OPPO “Network” folder view.

I renamed the folder in the NAS it about a month ago, and that is when the problem started. The folder was renamed from “Movies” to “Movies-2K”, and now it shows as “Movies-3D”. Ironically I do have a folder with this name, so it appears twice, but the duplicate folder has the correct content of the “Movies-2K” folder.

I hope that makes sense.

I have tried power-cycling the OPPO while set to “energy efficient”, but that did not help.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #37050 of 37079 Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I have a problem where a folder name on my QNAP NAS is not showing the correct name when accessed via the OPPO “Network” folder view.
Is this via DLNA? The server may be confused and needs a reboot or a rebuild of its database.

-Bill
galonzo and mrfranc like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page