Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1241 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279444Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37201 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I had my 203 locked into Dolby Vision for blu rays but while trying to find out why I lost audio and video I changed something. What are the steps to get it back. I stayed up late fiddling but never could find the right steps. I was getting the DV pop-up previously but not now even though I have HDR set to DV in the menu.
jbug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37202 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
I had my 203 locked into Dolby Vision for blu rays but while trying to find out why I lost audio and video I changed something. What are the steps to get it back. I stayed up late fiddling but never could find the right steps. I was getting the DV pop-up previously but not now even though I have HDR set to DV in the menu.
I forget if Source Direct has any effect on DV conversion. Are you using Output Resolution = Custom and Custom Resolution = UHD Auto?

Verify that HDR Setting -> HDR = Dolby Vision.

Set Standby Mode to Energy Efficient and power off and on again. If still no good, I'd Reset Factory Default and try the above again.

Note on forcing DV: "This works for standard Blu-ray and UHD discs with and without HDR. It does not work for interlaced sources like DVD or for media files like MKV. In my testing it did not work for 3D Blu-ray."

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37203 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I forget if Source Direct has any effect on DV conversion. Are you using Output Resolution = Custom and Custom Resolution = UHD Auto?

Verify that HDR Setting -> HDR = Dolby Vision.

Set Standby Mode to Energy Efficient and power off and on again. If still no good, I'd Reset Factory Default and try the above again.

Note on forcing DV: "This works for standard Blu-ray and UHD discs with and without HDR. It does not work for interlaced sources like DVD or for media files like MKV. In my testing it did not work for 3D Blu-ray."

-Bill
Thanks McClain. I tried all the settings for resolution but did not see the DV logo pop up this time around, not even for 4k disc that include DV. I'll check the other settings that you mentioned also. As for 3D, I'm pretty sure that i was able to have it applied to 3D but again, I'll go over the settings.
jbug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37204 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Thanks McClain. I tried all the settings for resolution but did not see the DV logo pop up this time around, not even for 4k disc that include DV. I'll check the other settings that you mentioned also. As for 3D, I'm pretty sure that i was able to have it applied to 3D but again, I'll go over the settings.
The logo popups sometimes get lost in a long handshake when the video formats change. Does your display have anyway to indicate what it is receiving? And what does the OPPO Extended Info say for what it is sending over HDMI Output?

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37205 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The logo popups sometimes get lost in a long handshake when the video formats change. Does your display have anyway to indicate what it is receiving? And what does the OPPO Extended Info say for what it is sending over HDMI Output?

-Bill
203 says SDR when I played the 3D version of Aladdin last night.

Edit: You are right, it works on BD but not 3D. I'm getting the DV pop up now. 3D is fine without it though on my E6. Thanks again.

Last edited by jbug; 10-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.
jbug is offline  
post #37206 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 01:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
203 says SDR when I played the 3D version of Aladdin last night.
Try a standard Blu-ray and give us the details under Media Info and HDMI Output. Tell us what you have for settings under Video Setup.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37207 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Try a standard Blu-ray and give us the details under Media Info and HDMI Output. Tell us what you have for settings under Video Setup.

-Bill
See above edit.
jbug is offline  
post #37208 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cbolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton View Post
I tried a different cable no luck. I also unplugged the cables from both the AVR and Oppo for about a minute and then retried - still the same. I think it has to be a handshake issue as nothing has changed in the settings from when it was working a couple weeks ago. Attached are the Pictures of the AVR and Oppo. The AVR shows zero audio when checking out the input info - shows 4K for video and the audio page is completely blank. Any other suggestions on things to try?
I picked up an entirely new HDMI cable and still seeing zero audio from the Oppo to my AVR. I have powered off the AVR and Oppo to try and force the handshake but it didn't work.

I feel like this is an HDMI handshake issue as another poster mentioned but I'm not sure how to try and force them to reconnect. Any ideas?
cbolton is offline  
post #37209 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton View Post
I picked up an entirely new HDMI cable and still seeing zero audio from the Oppo to my AVR. I have powered off the AVR and Oppo to try and force the handshake but it didn't work.



I feel like this is an HDMI handshake issue as another poster mentioned but I'm not sure how to try and force them to reconnect. Any ideas?
Try changing Oppo Input to HDMI IN and back to Blu-ray player.

Try disabling HDMI CEC.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
Cricket-RJ is offline  
post #37210 of 37614 Old 10-08-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,237
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 26848
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton View Post
I picked up an entirely new HDMI cable
Is it Premium Certified?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	premium certified.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2625552  
galonzo, ti-triodes and naustin like this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Matt2026 is online now  
post #37211 of 37614 Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Set the Dolby Vision output to TV Led instead of Auto.
—Bob
Hi I have an LG B6 and that DV issue never seemed to effect me on the latest firmware using setting Auto

If I change the setting to player Led I get a screwed up picture in DV, Auto and TV led are fine.

Is Auto selecting TV led anyway?
gunner842 is offline  
post #37212 of 37614 Old 10-09-2019, 05:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
Hi I have an LG B6 and that DV issue never seemed to effect me on the latest firmware using setting Auto

If I change the setting to player Led I get a screwed up picture in DV, Auto and TV led are fine.

Is Auto selecting TV led anyway?
In this case, yes. The LG x6 series accept only the TV led protocol and the player and TV are negotiating that correctly.

-Bill
nc88keyz, galonzo and gunner842 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 10-09-2019 at 06:03 AM.
wmcclain is online now  
post #37213 of 37614 Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Thanks for the tip to set processing to flat when attempting dv playback on latest firmware. All.other settings on auto for UHD hdr Dolby vision etc. This quick check prevents black screen bug with audio still playing in background. Likely a bug that will never be addressed with the current state of Oppo. Still a solution nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SinGA likes this.
nc88keyz is offline  
post #37214 of 37614 Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cbolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
Try changing Oppo Input to HDMI IN and back to Blu-ray player.

Try disabling HDMI CEC.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk
I moved the HDMI cable to HDMI In and then back to the HDMI out. Also tried to disabling HDMI CEC and re-enabling it. I didn't reboot/restart the player between those events - not sure it matters though?

The other poster that asked about HDMI Premium Certified. The new cable was not, it was one I had lying around so I ordered a new one from Monoprice that definitely is. Outside of swapping the cable and hoping that works not sure what else I can try?
Matt2026 likes this.
cbolton is offline  
post #37215 of 37614 Old 10-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi I have tried searching this thread for an answer but it's HUGE.

My oppo is fine when playing my UHD discs, but quite often when playing an MKV file the audio will briefly cut out or the file will free on an chapter change.

The files are fine on my NVIDIA Shield but it doesn't come close to my oppo 203 for picture or sound.

The Oppo is connected to my denon x8500 for audio only and directly to my Samsung q9fn for picture.

I have tried connecting it directly to the Denon for both picture and sound but I still had the same issue and on top of that my Denon 8500h doesn't support HDR10+

Any help would be appreciated.
Stanleh is offline  
post #37216 of 37614 Old 10-12-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,841
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleh View Post
Hi I have tried searching this thread for an answer but it's HUGE.

My oppo is fine when playing my UHD discs, but quite often when playing an MKV file the audio will briefly cut out or the file will free on an chapter change.

The files are fine on my NVIDIA Shield but it doesn't come close to my oppo 203 for picture or sound.

The Oppo is connected to my denon x8500 for audio only and directly to my Samsung q9fn for picture.

I have tried connecting it directly to the Denon for both picture and sound but I still had the same issue and on top of that my Denon 8500h doesn't support HDR10+

Any help would be appreciated.
Best guess is a network issue or bottleneck. If you're using a USB drive, perhaps you need a better one.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #37217 of 37614 Old 10-14-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rew452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm using a Qnap TVS-873 server shared folder for my UHD backups.
I can connect to the UHD folder via SMB and as long as I don't leave the folder everything works, I can play any movie there. But if I change to another folder the Oppo want's me to login again even though I checked Save for the user/password. If I re-enter login information it errors and I can only get it back by rebooting the Oppo.

Not sure why it does that but I am wondering if I changed to NFS would this issue be fixed.
Does anyone have some help on this? Would really appreciate!

Rew

Rew
Vizio PX75-G1 | Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4500H | OPPO UDP-203 | Tivo Bolt+| Nvidia Shield Android TV | Roku Ultra | Apple TV 4k | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS8 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 | Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
Rew452 is offline  
post #37218 of 37614 Old 10-14-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post
...But if I change to another folder the Oppo want's me to login again even though I checked Save for the user/password. If I re-enter login information it errors and I can only get it back by rebooting the Oppo.
How odd... I've don't have this issue accessing SMB shares with my Synology NAS. It's very reliable.
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #37219 of 37614 Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,841
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post
I'm using a Qnap TVS-873 server shared folder for my UHD backups.
I can connect to the UHD folder via SMB and as long as I don't leave the folder everything works, I can play any movie there. But if I change to another folder the Oppo want's me to login again even though I checked Save for the user/password. If I re-enter login information it errors and I can only get it back by rebooting the Oppo.

Not sure why it does that but I am wondering if I changed to NFS would this issue be fixed.
Does anyone have some help on this? Would really appreciate!

Rew
This is something on the server side, but I have no idea what. I'd suspect something to do with the way the individual folders are shared on the NAS.
I've seen a similar issue on my 203 when the NAS is putting unused HDDs to sleep, the Oppo times out waiting for it to wake up. (Synology)
rdgrimes is online now  
post #37220 of 37614 Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rew452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
This is something on the server side, but I have no idea what. I'd suspect something to do with the way the individual folders are shared on the NAS.
I've seen a similar issue on my 203 when the NAS is putting unused HDDs to sleep, the Oppo times out waiting for it to wake up. (Synology)
Thanks, I changed server side to NFS and all is good now.

Rew

Rew
Vizio PX75-G1 | Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4500H | OPPO UDP-203 | Tivo Bolt+| Nvidia Shield Android TV | Roku Ultra | Apple TV 4k | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS8 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 | Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
Rew452 is offline  
post #37221 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I've witnessed something bizarre that I've never come across during disc playback ever, I was playing Rosemary's Baby Region 4 Australian dvd on my OPPO 203 & get this only the first chapter of the movie is blank as in a black screen with audio & subtitles that does not make any sense whatsoever as I believe the subtitles are part of the video stream when it gets encoded on the disc, no matter what I've tried with recycling the resolutions to re-authenticate the hdmi handshake nothing brings the picture back for the first chapter of this disc, what an odd anomaly.
oniiz is offline  
post #37222 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
I've witnessed something bizarre that I've never come across during disc playback ever, I was playing Rosemary's Baby Region 4 Australian dvd on my OPPO 203 & get this only the first chapter of the movie is blank as in a black screen with audio & subtitles that does not make any sense whatsoever as I believe the subtitles are part of the video stream when it gets encoded on the disc, no matter what I've tried with recycling the resolutions to re-authenticate the hdmi handshake nothing brings the picture back for the first chapter of this disc, what an odd anomaly.
Have you seen chapter 1 displayed on any other device, even a computer?

With the Oppo, what if you chapter skip backwards and forwards? Does this happen elsewhere, and does chapter 1 appear when you skip back to it?

What are your video settings on the player? What does the Extended Info popup say for both the Media Information and HDMI (Main) Output Information when you are playing chapter 1?

Are you sending video through a receiver? Do you get the same results when the player is connected directly to the display?

-Bill
wl1 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37223 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Have you seen chapter 1 displayed on any other device, even a computer?

With the Oppo, what if you chapter skip backwards and forwards? Does this happen elsewhere, and does chapter 1 appear when you skip back to it?

What are your video settings on the player? What does the Extended Info popup say for both the Media Information and HDMI (Main) Output Information when you are playing chapter 1?

Are you sending video through a receiver? Do you get the same results when the player is connected directly to the display?

-Bill
Yes, chapter 1 plays back perfectly in another player as well as a PC drive, what is odd is the picture does not reappear when chapter 2 comes along unless I chapter skip forwards but if I skip back to chapter 1 the picture remains blank with audio present.

It's connected directly to a Sony 2015 flagship 75X9400C Australian variant of the US 75X940C, the Extended Info popup screen Media Info 576x720 50i HDMI Main Output 3840x2160p 50p, Custom Resolution setting UHD Auto.

I've never factory reset the player nor have I ever cleared persistent storage but I believe that is only applicable to 4K & 1080p Bluray discs.
oniiz is offline  
post #37224 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
Yes, chapter 1 plays back perfectly in another player as well as a PC drive, what is odd is the picture does not reappear when chapter 2 comes along unless I chapter skip forwards but if I skip back to chapter 1 the picture remains blank with audio present.

It's connected directly to a Sony 2015 flagship 75X9400C Australian variant of the US 75X940C, the Extended Info popup screen Media Info 576x720 50i HDMI Main Output 3840x2160p 50p, Custom Resolution setting UHD Auto.

I've never factory reset the player nor have I ever cleared persistent storage but I believe that is only applicable to 4K & 1080p Bluray discs.
That is indeed very strange. Just for completeness I would do the Clear Persistent Storage and Reset Factory Defaults. You can save your current settings on a usb stick and restore them after a reset.

Your output settings look correct, but as an experiment I would try other output resolutions to see if there is a difference. Source Direct is always available; that will send 576i50 to the display in this case.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37225 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
The latest firmware is 2/08/2019. It did not address the lack of color saturation in the HDR off BT2020 if that was the issue you were questioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
Yep that’s what I was referring to. Thanks for confirming, think I’ll stay with my 54 firmware.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was tone mapping working in 54? Was it not broken all along?

Assuming it was, if I can't use DV anyway (Projector), would I benefit from rolling back to 54 for tone mapping?
ScottAvery is offline  
post #37226 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Plasmoidial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get the yellow/gold subtitle text to disappear from the screen? Any time I select from the sub menu, it will show which option I selected in yellow text on the bottom left side of the screen, and I can't find any way to remove it other than turning the subs off, stopping the content and then restarting. Similarly, just selecting "off" doesn't work either, because I will then have "Off" stuck on the bottom left side.

The only time this issue seems to resolve itself on its own is if I let the content time out while paused until the screen saver comes on. That removes the yellow text, but this should not be the standard behavior, because it's intrusive.

Last edited by Plasmoidial; 10-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Plasmoidial is offline  
post #37227 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 07:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,638
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmoidial View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get the yellow/gold subtitle text to disappear from the screen? Any time I select from the sub menu, it will show which option I selected in yellow text on the bottom left side of the screen, and I can't find any way to remove it other than turning the subs off, stopping the content and then restarting. Similarly, just selecting "off" doesn't work either, because I will then have "Off" stuck on the bottom left side.

The only time this issue seems to resolve itself on its own is if I let the content time out while paused until the screen saver comes on. That removes the yellow text, but this should not be the standard behavior, because it's intrusive.
Is this on media files? I've seen it there from time to time, but not on optical discs.

I toggle the subtitles off and back on. That clears it for me.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37228 of 37614 Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is the WD My Passport Ultra (4TB) external HDD capable of working well with the Oppo?
yobbo is online now  
post #37229 of 37614 Old 10-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Member
 
Plasmoidial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Is this on media files? I've seen it there from time to time, but not on optical discs.

I toggle the subtitles off and back on. That clears it for me.

-Bill

Yes, I guess I could have been more specific. Turning them off and on does not work for me. Nothing works other than turning them off, then stopping the media and resuming. It's not usually a problem because I don't normally bother with subs, but sometimes there are either foreign speaking parts, or simply unintelligible parts that require them.
Plasmoidial is offline  
post #37230 of 37614 Old 10-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Senior Member
 
hlindstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Was tone mapping working in 54? Was it not broken all along?

Assuming it was, if I can't use DV anyway (Projector), would I benefit from rolling back to 54 for tone mapping?
BT.2020 SDR tone mapping has always been broken. You cannot roll back firmware! Player prohibits it.
galonzo likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB
hlindstr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off