Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279367Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37231 of 37537 Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
I've never factory reset the player nor have I ever cleared persistent storage but I believe that is only applicable to 4K & 1080p Bluray discs.
All FW updates should be followed by Factory Reset, as per Oppo FW instructions. The first thing to do if any issues too, along with full power down, pull the cord, press On (to drain), and power up again.

There are people who have never done this, of course, if they have no issues, great. But it takes 5 mins, along with saving/restoring settings.

Aside:
Oppo have previously made the latter part of the above automatic during any FW update on previous players - but didn't get to do it for this player before time ran out.
giomania, galonzo and stanhere like this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37232 of 37537 Old 10-16-2019, 04:36 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
All FW updates should be followed by Factory Reset, as per Oppo FW instructions. The first thing to do if any issues too, along with full power down, pull the cord, press On (to drain), and power up again.
I understand all that but I've never updated my firmware since I've had the player as I'm waiting for OPPO to fix a couple of regressions & bugs with their latest 65-0131 firmware but I feel updates will no longer be provided as it's been 8 months since the last one.
oniiz is offline  
post #37233 of 37537 Old 10-16-2019, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
tanwn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobbo View Post
Is the WD My Passport Ultra (4TB) external HDD capable of working well with the Oppo?
Yes

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
yobbo likes this.
tanwn1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37234 of 37537 Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,611
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobbo View Post
Is the WD My Passport Ultra (4TB) external HDD capable of working well with the Oppo?
Yes, if it has a supported file system. See the FAQ: What file systems are supported on external media?

USB-powered drives do work, but OPPO recommends that AC-power works better in some cases, and posters here have verified that.

-Bill
yobbo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37235 of 37537 Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
Aside:
Oppo have previously made the latter part of the above automatic during any FW update on previous players - but didn't get to do it for this player before time ran out.
That's odd it wasn't implemented from the very start for the 203/205's 4K platform, wouldn't it basically be carry over firmware functionality previously established for the 103/105 1080p players?
oniiz is offline  
post #37236 of 37537 Old 10-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Newbie
 
Mihailuican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyrocco View Post
i found something a bit annoying - for those who wants mkv internal/external text subtitles with diacritics (i.e. romanians), utf-8 encoded.
the font used by oppo for rendering subtitles can't display older type of diacritics, S / T with cedilla, only newer (and correct) versions, S /T with comma. maybe this is useful for someone


also, internal mkv text subtitle aren't displayed in some cases, don't know why.

Hello,
new oppo203 owner here, from Bucharest, Romania.
I just read your comment about oppo203's inability to play Romanian subtitles.
Has there been any SOLUTION found to this shortcoming?

Is there any app (link) that automatically convert diacritics in srt subtitles into the regular characters without diacritics?

Thanks and cheers.
Mihailuican is offline  
post #37237 of 37537 Old 10-20-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
I noticed a significant difference between source direct and custom mode on the OPPO 203 when sent to my LG 65E6. The first image is set to Source Direct. The 2nd is set to UHD custom. The settings for UHD custom are what is recommended for my E6 from the first page. Source Direct produces significantly more detail in the startup screens vs UHD custom. I never noticed it until I tried switching to Source Direct today. It appears Source Direct, and letting the E6 do the upscaling, produces a much better image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2629892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2629894  

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #37238 of 37537 Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Member
 
codyrocco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihailuican View Post
Hello,
new oppo203 owner here, from Bucharest, Romania.
I just read your comment about oppo203's inability to play Romanian subtitles.
Has there been any SOLUTION found to this shortcoming?

Is there any app (link) that automatically convert diacritics in srt subtitles into the regular characters without diacritics?

Thanks and cheers.

Notepad
Or a Perl script, using UTF-8, which i plan to write [from few years ago...]
codyrocco is offline  
post #37239 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I noticed a significant difference between source direct and custom mode on the OPPO 203 when sent to my LG 65E6. The first image is set to Source Direct. The 2nd is set to UHD custom. The settings for UHD custom are what is recommended for my E6 from the first page. Source Direct produces significantly more detail in the startup screens vs UHD custom. I never noticed it until I tried switching to Source Direct today. It appears Source Direct, and letting the E6 do the upscaling, produces a much better image.
That is in line with a German test I saw that stated that 1080 to 4K upscaling is significantly better on the Sony X1100 than the Oppo 203 (therefore better to let the TV do the upscaling, my understanding is that the large menu pictures generated by the 203 is in 1080 resolution which if selected it upscales to 4K) while they said that native 4K is about the same quality comparing the Sony X1100 and the Oppo 203.
wxman, galonzo and gymnos like this.

Last edited by Kaver163; 10-21-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Kaver163 is online now  
post #37240 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 AM
Newbie
 
Mihailuican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Solution for Romanian subtitles with diacritics is found

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyrocco View Post
Notepad
Or a Perl script, using UTF-8, which i plan to write [from few years ago...]

I solved the Romanian (diacritics) subtitle issue, definitive.
I changed the subtitle language settings, in the Oppo settings, from English, Chinese, etc. into OTHER, and language four digit code 8279, for Romanian..
Works beautifully, all movies and series take external srt subtitles, named identically as the mkv file.

This solution has been given to me by the experts from which I purchaser the jailbreak software and validation.
Cheers.
Mihailuican is offline  
post #37241 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaver163 View Post
That is in line with a German test I saw that stated that 1080 to 4K upscaling is significantly better in the Sony X1100 than the Oppo 203 (therefore better to let the TV do the upscaling, my understanding is that the pictures generated from by the 203 is in 1080 resolution which it upscales to 4K) while they said that native 4K is about the same quality
Thanks for the info. You are right, native 4K doesn't show any improvement when the OPPO is set to Source Direct, or Custom. The big difference is when the OPPO tries to upscale 2K to 4K. My 3 year old E6 does a better job.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D

Last edited by wxman; 10-21-2019 at 01:38 AM.
wxman is online now  
post #37242 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,272
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Thanks for the info. You are right, native 4K doesn't show any improvement when the OPPO is set to Source Direct, or Custom. The big difference is when the OPPO tries to upscale 2K to 4K. My 3 year old E6 does a better job.
I never compared with my B6 for 1080 to 4K. I did compare with DVDs (I have a lot of them) and thought the Oppo did a real nice job upscaling those, much better than the B6. I think video processing in the E6 is a step above the B6.

If the 1100es is better than the Oppo, I might have to pick one up. I'm always in the market for a player that upscales better as I won't replace my DVDs (except a few favorite movies) and still rent DVD some from redbox, when BD isn't available.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #37243 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I never compared with my B6 for 1080 to 4K. I did compare with DVDs (I have a lot of them) and thought the Oppo did a real nice job upscaling those, much better than the B6. I think video processing in the E6 is a step above the B6.

If the 1100es is better than the Oppo, I might have to pick one up. I'm always in the market for a player that upscales better as I won't replace my DVDs (except a few favorite movies) and still rent DVD some from redbox, when BD isn't available.
I still think the Oppo 203/205 is the most versatile/flexible player - if upscaling in the player is important to you, you might also want to look at the cheaper Sonys (that might have the same upscaling capibilities as the X1100 but neither has auto detection of Dolby Vision) or the Panasonics - I'm keeping my 203 and getting a new LG OLED next year - now also the cheaper models are supposed to have good upscaling.

Last edited by Kaver163; 10-21-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Kaver163 is online now  
post #37244 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I noticed a significant difference between source direct and custom mode on the OPPO 203 when sent to my LG 65E6. The first image is set to Source Direct. The 2nd is set to UHD custom. The settings for UHD custom are what is recommended for my E6 from the first page. Source Direct produces significantly more detail in the startup screens vs UHD custom. I never noticed it until I tried switching to Source Direct today. It appears Source Direct, and letting the E6 do the upscaling, produces a much better image.
I've made this observation before but been derided by forum regulars for saying it.

I have an 203 connected to a Panasonic EZ952 OLED. With the 203 set to UHD Auto, there are obvious scaling artefacts (ie 'jagglies') that can be seen on diagonals and rounded areas of the home menu screen.

However, if I set the 203 to Source Direct and let the Panasonic do the scaling, these artefacts are not visible. Additionally, in this mode the Panasonic reports that its input resolution is 1920x1080, leading me to believe that the 203's menus have a native resolution of 1920x1080 and that any other output resolution is scaled from this by the player, rather than being rendered natively at the selected resolution.
wxman, galonzo, gymnos and 1 others like this.

Panasonic TX-55EZ952B OLED / Oppo UDP-203 / Onkyo TX-NR555 / B&W 600 Series + Elac A4 Atmos
steverobertsbbc is offline  
post #37245 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Playing the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition from my UDP-203 to an LG OLEDC9, I'm finding that the UDP-203 appears to be applying some type of bi-cubic upscaling to 1080p source material. Alternating pixels in 1080p result in one bright pixel, followed by 2 gray, 1 black, 2 gray, 1 bright, and then repeating, both horizontally and vertically in 4k. When using Source Direct output and allowing the LG C9 to do the upscaling the alternating pixels are displayed as a block of 2 bright pixels, 2 dark, 2 bright, and then repeating which creates a 2 x 2 block of pixels to represent each 1080p pixel. While this sounds like it would produce smoother results with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling, the LG C9 applies anti-aliasing when upscaling (with its sharpness control set at a setting of 10 which applies no other edge enhancement) which provides considerably smoother diagonals. Diagonals on the S&M 1080p scaling pattern look tremendously cleaner with the LG C9 performing the upscaling. The same applies to the S&M 720p scaling pattern, but the UDP-203 does not appear to apply the bi-cubic upscaling in this case. Each 720p pixel is represented by a 3x3 block of pixels in 4k regardless of which unit is upscaling.

However, the highest frequency chroma bursts appear muted when the LG C9 is performing the upscaling (see the multiburst patterns and the Color Space Evaluation pattern), while they appear to be perfect with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling. However, the with the LG performing the upscaling and applying anti-aliasing, the diagonal chroma bursts are obviously smoother. With the LG performing the upscaling, banding appears in the color ramps which is absent with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling.

So for the score:

Smooth jaggie-free diagonals: LG C9
High-frequency chroma information: UDP-203
Smooth band free color ramps: UDP-203
Smooth jaggie-free chroma burst diagonals: LG C9

This would seem to be a tie, if all the above factors are weighed equally. This leaves the difference between what appears to be bicubic upscaling vs. ratio integer scaling on 1080p sources. I'm really not sure which to consider superior here. Bicubic is certainly considered preferable when applied to up-SAMPLING chroma to be added back to luma, but I'm not sure if the same applies to pure up-scaling.

Ultimately the only difference I really notice on movies and regular viewing content is that video or computer generated titles that contain diagonal lines usually (but not always) look considerably smoother with the LG C9 doing the upscaling. I would like an objective conclusion of which is better.
galonzo, hlindstr, gymnos and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 10-21-2019 at 08:22 PM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #37246 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Playing the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition from my UDP-203 to an LG OLEDC9, I'm finding that the UDP-203 appears to be applying some type of bi-cubic upscaling to 1080p source material. Alternating pixels in 1080p result in one bright pixel, followed by 2 gray, 1 black, 2 gray, 1 bright, and then repeating, both horizontally and vertically in 4k. When using Source Direct output and allowing the LG C9 to do the upscaling the alternating pixels are displayed as a block of 2 bright pixels, 2 dark, 2 bright, and then repeating which creates a 2 x 2 block of pixels to represent each 1080p pixel. While this sounds like it would produce smoother results with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling, the LG C9 applies anti-aliasing when upscaling (with its sharpness control set at a setting of 10 which applies no other edge enhancement) which provides considerably smoother diagonals. Diagonals on the S&M 1080p scaling pattern look tremendously cleaner with the LG C9 performing the upscaling. The same applies to the S&M 720p scaling pattern, but the UDP-203 does not appear to apply the bi-cubic upscaling in this case. Each 720p pixel is represented by a 3x3 block of pixels in 4k regardless of which unit is upscaling.

However, the highest frequency chroma bursts appear muted when the LG C9 is performing the upscaling (see the multiburst patterns and the Color Space Evaluation pattern), while they appear to be perfect with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling. However, the with the LG performing the upscaling and applying anti-aliasing, the diagonal chroma bursts are obviously smoother. With the LG performing the upscaling, banding appears in the color ramps which is absent with the UDP-203 performing the upscaling.

So for the score:

Smooth jaggie-free diagonals: LG C9
High-frequency chroma information: UDP-203
Smooth band free color ramps: UDP-203
Smooth jaggie-free chroma burst diagonals: LG C9

This would seem to be a tie, if all the above factors are weighed equally. This leaves the difference between what appears to be bicubic upscaling vs. ratio integer scaling on 1080p sources. I'm really not sure which to consider superior here. Bicubic is certainly considered preferable when applied to up-SAMPLING chroma to be added back to luma, but I'm not sure if the same applies to pure up-scaling.

Ultimately the only difference I really notice on movies and regular viewing content is that video or computer generated titles that contain diagonal lines usually (but not always) look considerably smoother with the LG C9 doing the upscaling. I would like an objective conclusion of which is better.
How I noticed there was a difference was to bump up sharpness on my E6 to 25 for SDR, just for testing purposes. With the home screen of the OPPO being displayed (star background), using OPPO resolution button, flip between Custom or Auto and Source Direct. Notice how sharpness works with Source Direct and not Custom? You can tell the by the dramatic increase in stars and brightness of those stars, compared to Custom or Auto. It's as if Custom and Auto disable some picture settings of the tv. I don't know if it will do that with your C9, but it does with my E6.
giomania likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #37247 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
How I noticed there was a difference was to bump up sharpness on my E6 to 25 for SDR, just for testing purposes. With the home screen of the OPPO being displayed (star background), using OPPO resolution button, flip between Custom or Auto and Source Direct. Notice how sharpness works with Source Direct and not Custom? You can tell the by the dramatic increase in stars and brightness of those stars, compared to Custom or Auto. It's as if Custom and Auto disable some picture settings of the tv. I don't know if it will do that with your C9, but it does with my E6.
Here with a Panasonic FZ952 hooked up straight to the TV there is no "constellation" difference.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
Cricket-RJ is offline  
post #37248 of 37537 Old 10-21-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
Here with a Panasonic FZ952 hooked up straight to the TV there is no "constellation" difference.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk
My guess is when the LG receives a 4K feed, whether upscaled or not, it disables the sharpness control. When receiving a 1080 feed via Source Direct, one can use the sharpness control.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #37249 of 37537 Old 10-22-2019, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,272
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaver163 View Post
I still think the Oppo 203/205 is the most versatile/flexible player - if upscaling in the player is important to you, you might also want to look at the cheaper Sonys (that might have the same upscaling capibilities as the X1100 but neither has auto detection of Dolby Vision) or the Panasonics - I'm keeping my 203 and getting a new LG OLED next year - now also the cheaper models are supposed to have good upscaling.
Ultimately I'd like a player with two channel analog outs to go to a headphone amp. My headphone amp has two inputs, one is reserved for the 203, right now the other one has the 95 hooked up. So I'm down to the Pioneer or the x1100, or just keep the 95 till it craters and let it play DVDs via source direct and let the TV scale. Right now, I'm leaning to just keeping the 95 . But I don't think the TV scales (LG OLED B6) as well as the Oppo 203 and if there is a better scaler, then I'll look around. The pioneer would have better analog out. Decisions...
Kaver163 likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 10-22-2019 at 03:00 AM.
glangford is offline  
post #37250 of 37537 Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,001
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Does anyone think the 103D with the Darbee processing does a better job with blu-ray than the 203?

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #37251 of 37537 Old 10-22-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Does anyone think the 103D with the Darbee processing does a better job with blu-ray than the 203?
I have both. I still prefer the 103D for blu ray over the 203. The 103D with Darbee engaged gives more depth to the image compared to the 203. IMO, the 103D and 105D were the best blu ray players ever made.
Clark Burk and ti-triodes like this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #37252 of 37537 Old 10-22-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 3,180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have both. I still prefer the 103D for blu ray over the 203. The 103D with Darbee engaged gives more depth to the image compared to the 203. IMO, the 103D and 105D were the best blu ray players ever made.
+1

I compared the 103D to both the 203 and Panny UB820. It’s not hard to see the improvement with the Darbee engaged.
Clark Burk and wxman like this.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #37253 of 37537 Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,001
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Thx guys. I may have to bring back the 103D to my main theater. I like MadVR but it’s so complicated. I just want to pop my Blu-ray in the drive and enjoy the movie with the best quality without jumping through hoops.
wxman likes this.

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #37254 of 37537 Old 10-23-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Thx guys. I may have to bring back the 103D to my main theater. I like MadVR but it’s so complicated. I just want to pop my Blu-ray in the drive and enjoy the movie with the best quality without jumping through hoops.
I still have the outboard Darbee I used with my 103, which is now in my wife's system. I could put that Darbee between with the second HDMI output of the 203 and an output into my AVR.

Any reason that wouldn't work for 1080 Blu-rays and DVDs - like having HDMI 1 connected at the same time to a different input on the AVR?

Alternatively, I could put it between the second output of the AVR and a second input to my projector, to make it a switchable choice for any of my sources, which would be similar to how I used it back then, as the last step before my 1080 projector.

Last edited by Philnick; 10-23-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Philnick is offline  
post #37255 of 37537 Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I still have the outboard Darbee I used with my 103, which is now in my wife's system. I could put that Darbee between with the second HDMI output of the 203 and an output into my AVR.

Any reason that wouldn't work for 1080 Blu-rays and DVDs - like having HDMI 1 connected at the same time to a different input on the AVR?

Alternatively, I could put it between the second output of the AVR and a second input to my projector, to make it a switchable choice for any of my sources, which would be similar to how I used it back then, as the last step before my 1080 projector.
The second output on the 203 is audio only. Your second option is what I do and it works very well for my 1080p sources and TV.
galonzo likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
bguzman is offline  
post #37256 of 37537 Old 10-23-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 205
"Alternatively, I could put it between the second output of the AVR and a second input to my projector, to make it a switchable choice for any of my sources, which would be similar to how I used it back then, as the last step before my 1080 projector."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
The second output on the 203 is audio only. Your second option is what I do and it works very well for my 1080p sources and TV.
Thanks!

Philnick is offline  
post #37257 of 37537 Old 10-25-2019, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
How I noticed there was a difference was to bump up sharpness on my E6 to 25 for SDR, just for testing purposes. With the home screen of the OPPO being displayed (star background), using OPPO resolution button, flip between Custom or Auto and Source Direct. Notice how sharpness works with Source Direct and not Custom? You can tell the by the dramatic increase in stars and brightness of those stars, compared to Custom or Auto. It's as if Custom and Auto disable some picture settings of the tv. I don't know if it will do that with your C9, but it does with my E6.
I've tried this with my C9 and there is definitely a difference in sharpness function depending on whether it is receiving 2160 or 1080. This is of course a result of what my C9 (and your E6) are doing differently in response to 2160 or 1080 input from the UDP-203 rather than anything the UDP-203 is doing, and I believe it would be the same regardless of the source of 2160 or 1080 input. Further discussion of this particular aspect might be better placed in the threads for the LG OLEDs. Of course it brings up the subject of the quality of the UDP-203's upscaling (which I was trying to address in my previous post). Is the UDP-203 the king of upscaling that the previous Oppo models were considered to be, or do some currently available TVs offer better upscaling?
galonzo and gymnos like this.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #37258 of 37537 Old 10-25-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I've tried this with my C9 and there is definitely a difference in sharpness function depending on whether it is receiving 2160 or 1080. This is of course a result of what my C9 (and your E6) are doing differently in response to 2160 or 1080 input from the UDP-203 rather than anything the UDP-203 is doing, and I believe it would be the same regardless of the source of 2160 or 1080 input. Further discussion of this particular aspect might be better placed in the threads for the LG OLEDs. Of course it brings up the subject of the quality of the UDP-203's upscaling (which I was trying to address in my previous post). Is the UDP-203 the king of upscaling that the previous Oppo models were considered to be, or do some currently available TVs offer better upscaling?
I see no difference in upscaling between my E6 and the Oppo 203. I have decided to set the Oppo to Source Direct and let the tv do the upscaling.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is online now  
post #37259 of 37537 Old 10-25-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I see no difference in upscaling between my E6 and the Oppo 203. I have decided to set the Oppo to Source Direct and let the tv do the upscaling.
There is definitely a difference between my C9 and my 203, as I noted in my previous post. However I'm not sure which is actually better, and it seems more like a trade-off. In actual non-test pattern viewing, the only difference I'm noticing is that computer or video generated titles looks considerably smoother (less jagged on diagonals) with the C9 doing the upscaling (203 set to Source Direct). This is the result of the anti-aliasing applied by the C9 with its Sharpness set to 10. I'm still undecided and may be asking some questions about the significance of each of the differences in the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disc - Discussion thread.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #37260 of 37537 Old 10-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
DTS 2.0 issue

Hi guys, I popped in the blu-ray of Tony Scott's The Hunger last night and noticed something odd with the sound. The disc sports a DTS 2.0 soundtrack and my AVR properly displayed DTS, but the sound seemed to be predominantly coming out of the front left speaker. All dialogue as well came from the front left. There didn't seem to be any sound coming out of the front right speaker at all, or if there was, it certainly wasn't registering as balanced. Is there a setting I need to tinker with to get 2.0 to play properly? Full surround discs and mono discs play perfectly. This is the first time I noticed something off. I'm very much a novice when it comes to home theater setup and I'd appreciate any tips or solutions. Thanks!
ran1283 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off