Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279363Likes

post #37381 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
My Harmony 650 is giving up the ghost and I'm considering upgrading to a Harmony Elite.

Does the Elite work okay with the Oppo 203? I ask specifically because I know the Elite has far fewer hard buttons than previous remotes and SKIP and FF have been combined onto the same button.

To FF on the Oppo you press FF once. Does this work properly with the 203?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Works with my Elite, but you may want to be prepared to spend forever getting things setup. Here's my review from setting up my Elite: https://tomhorsley.com/hardware/elite/elite.html
Crazytrekker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37382 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
OPPO 203 4K question

I apologize in advance if I am posting on the incorrect forum but I totally love my OPPO 203, which I have had for a couple years now.

I have an extensive DVD collection....DVD, blu-ray, 3D and 4K movies. I know that the OPPO upscales to 4K, but am I wasting my money buying 4K, when the 203 upscales my blu-ray discs to 4K? Or, is there a slightly better resolution on an actual 4K disc?

Thank you so much, in advance!!
post #37383 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelagentRalph View Post
I apologize in advance if I am posting on the incorrect forum but I totally love my OPPO 203, which I have had for a couple years now.

I have an extensive DVD collection....DVD, blu-ray, 3D and 4K movies. I know that the OPPO upscales to 4K, but am I wasting my money buying 4K, when the 203 upscales my blu-ray discs to 4K? Or, is there a slightly better resolution on an actual 4K disc?

Just as upscaling DVD (480P) to 1080P isn't the same as starting with a 1080P Bluray, upscaling DVD or Bluray to 4K isn't the same as starting with a native 4K UHD Bluray source. In addition to the higher resolution, HDR / Dolby Vision are available which make an even bigger difference. If you have a large(ish) display and sit the recommended distance from it, you will appreciate the improvement.
galonzo and audiofan1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37384 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:

I think in the end you have to make your own decision here.

I don't think that anything that is upscaled is going to look better than the native target. So a DVD upscaled by a very good upscaler to 1080p won't (in my eyes) look better than the native 1080p bluray.

The same would apply for either DVD or Bluray upscaled to UHD 4K.

If a Bluray or DVD is particularly well authored, when upscaled it may come close, but I haven't seen one improve on the Bluray or UHD.

So in my case it comes down to individual taste. I have a version of "It's a wonderful Life" both on DVD and Bluray; a newly mastered from good sources and well reviewed is coming out on UHD. I will get this version, since it's a favorite and looks like it was handled well. To me, it's worth the triple dipping.

On other titles, I may not want to make the upgrade, since they may not be as important to me.

So it really migrates from "is it an improvement to get UHD" (it stands a good chance of being an improvement in my view) to "is the improvement worth it to me".

Money is a factor, since for some or maybe most movies, you don't particularly want to spend the cash. I've bought probably about a hundred UHD movies, probably half of which I have in another format. I have a lot of DVDs (some of which are not in any other format), Blurays and HD-DVDs. They all get played. Some discs I have a version in all of the formats (Fifth Element, for example).

In the final analysis, you can buy a UHD, play it, if you don't find it valuable enough compared to your existing library, return it.

Last edited by hernanu; 11-06-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #37385 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The major improvement that you have with 4k disc is WCG andHDR, not the resolution itself.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
ppasteur, wxman, gwsat and 2 others like this.

Sent while surfing
post #37386 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you so much for the response, you confirmed my thoughts. The 4K does look great on my Sony Z9 tv with my Marantz receiver.

I do see a difference, but wanted to make sure it was not my imagination.
hernanu and Matt2026 like this.
post #37387 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any suggestions as to why my Oppo 203 won't connect to BD-Live even though it is menu enabled and I have established internet verified by it's own connection test? I get the same "make sure your player is connected to the internet" on every disk that has the feature. Just curious.
post #37388 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 04:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Liked: 4548
Quote:
Originally Posted by towerboy View Post
Any suggestions as to why my Oppo 203 won't connect to BD-Live even though it is menu enabled and I have established internet verified by it's own connection test? I get the same "make sure your player is connected to the internet" on every disk that has the feature. Just curious.
What discs? My impression is that the studios lost interest in BD-Live long ago and I would suspect the servers are no longer online.

Whether that would explain the error you see: I don't know.

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #37389 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 04:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What discs? My impression is that the studios lost interest in BD-Live long ago and I would suspect the servers are no longer online.

-Bill
More:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=321277

https://www.disneystudioshelp.com/de...BDDVDHelp.html

Disney: "BD-Live features have been disabled and are no longer accessible."

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #37390 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

-Bill
Was not aware that it had been generally discontinued. Thanks for the explanation.
post #37391 of 37535 Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am struggling to get my 203 to play UHD BDMVs over my network. USB HD attached to a MacBook Air.

SMB just doesn't work at all as when I input the username and password it just returns an error.

So I then added the folder on the HD where my films are stored to Serviio as a shared folder. I was then able to navigate to the BDMVs. However, despite putting everything in an AVCHD folder then placing that under movie title folder, it doesn't play when I select the AVCHD folder. It just opens each folder and goes down to the next layer.

I understand that I may have to run the Modifier Utility. However the .exe file won't open on my Mac.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
post #37392 of 37535 Old 11-07-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:

I guess I'll provide a different perspective. I too have a lot of DVDs particularly of older titles. Heck there were a few I have that didn't even make DVD format till after around 2010 or later, but they are great movies. (The Heart is a Lonley Hunter starring Alan Arkin, Gigot starring Jackie Gleason) I have only double dipped to upgrade titles to a better format a couple of times. Most recent the 4k version of 2001.

I watch movies because it's a good story, with good acting not because I want to analyze how good the transfer is, or what audio format is used (my audio is only 2.0). I don't care if the movie is the best authored disc ever. If the story stinks, I'm not giving it the time of day. If it's a great story with fantasitic acting, I'll buy a poor copy and watch it any way. I just recently did this with a 1978 version of Les Miserables, starring Anthony Perkins as Javert. Fantasitc acting, I really enjoyed it. Poor transfer, 1.33 format (made for TV, Showtime) but a fantastic watch.

Life's too short. I'm busy as hell, and when I get the time to sit down and watch a movie, it will be a good movie, good story, good acting. Format, down the list in terms of importance.
dcbii and Matt2026 like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #37393 of 37535 Old 11-07-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post
Hello,

I am struggling to get my 203 to play UHD BDMVs over my network. USB HD attached to a MacBook Air.

SMB just doesn't work at all as when I input the username and password it just returns an error.

So I then added the folder on the HD where my films are stored to Serviio as a shared folder. I was then able to navigate to the BDMVs. However, despite putting everything in an AVCHD folder then placing that under movie title folder, it doesn't play when I select the AVCHD folder. It just opens each folder and goes down to the next layer.

I understand that I may have to run the Modifier Utility. However the .exe file won't open on my Mac.

Hi @theknick ,

It's been well documented within this topic that getting the OPPO to see media files stored on Windows or Mac computers via SMB is quite a pain in the a**. And there are various suggestions/instructions within this topic about how to get it working. Sadly, none of which have worked for me. But that's me...

Unfortunately, when it comes to accessing files over a network, UPnP/DLNA media file serving software's (such as Plex and Serviio) do not offer the ability to parse/emulate access to Blu-ray disc file/folder back-ups in the way they need to be. Only SMB or NFS can!

However, if the HDD within your USB connected case has been formatted to the exFAT file system (which is Mac and Windows cross compatible), the OPPO should be able to detect and read the files stored on the drive when directly connected to the OPPO, including your 4K UHD 'Full disc' Blu-ray file/folder back-ups

Cheers
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11-07-2019 at 04:08 AM.
post #37394 of 37535 Old 11-07-2019, 05:19 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknick View Post
USB HD attached to a MacBook Air.

Oppo's are restricted to v1 SMB - not sure if that is related to your problem. A USB HD connected to a Macbook Air doesn't sound the ideal way to start a UHD Library accessible by the Oppo anyway.

I would suggest you look at a NAS and use NFS - as you will quickly develop Tb of Movies before too long anyway. If not prepared for that investment yet - can't you just remove the USB HD and plug directly into the Oppo?

I agree with SeeMoreDigital - DLNA has other drawbacks. The AVCHD folder thing is related to the Oppo, and won't be presented by Servio across DLNA in the same way.
galonzo likes this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
post #37395 of 37535 Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I guess I'll provide a different perspective. I too have a lot of DVDs particularly of older titles. Heck there were a few I have that didn't even make DVD format till after around 2010 or later, but they are great movies. (The Heart is a Lonley Hunter starring Alan Arkin, Gigot starring Jackie Gleason) I have only double dipped to upgrade titles to a better format a couple of times. Most recent the 4k version of 2001.

I watch movies because it's a good story, with good acting not because I want to analyze how good the transfer is, or what audio format is used (my audio is only 2.0). I don't care if the movie is the best authored disc ever. If the story stinks, I'm not giving it the time of day. If it's a great story with fantasitic acting, I'll buy a poor copy and watch it any way. I just recently did this with a 1978 version of Les Miserables, starring Anthony Perkins as Javert. Fantasitc acting, I really enjoyed it. Poor transfer, 1.33 format (made for TV, Showtime) but a fantastic watch.

Life's too short. I'm busy as hell, and when I get the time to sit down and watch a movie, it will be a good movie, good story, good acting. Format, down the list in terms of importance.
I suspect many of us can agree with that perspective, but I took the question that was being asked more along the lines of "is there any benefit to buying UHD instead of normal Bluray or DVD when adding titles to my collection?". The answer to that question is a resounding yes as the native 4K title will have superior picture quality due to the combination of higher resolution, WCG, and HDR assuming comparable care has been taken authoring the DVD, Bluray, and UHD Bluray.

Basically, if at the time of purchase you had the choice of a poor quality DVD or pristine UHD Bluray of that same 1978 version of Les Miserables, which option would you go with (also assuming the cost is about the same)? I would think most, if not all, of us would opt for the UHD Bluray.

The tougher question is would you upgrade to the UHD Bluray later if you had already purchased the poor quality version? This is a tougher choice for many of us - for titles we intend to watch over and over again, it may be worth upgrading, but for most titles it probably doesn't make sense to.
galonzo, hernanu and pappaduke like this.
post #37396 of 37535 Old 11-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
anyone have a problem with the Daniel Craig 007 collection? I have been hearing about freeze ups on OPPO 203 players on all 4 discs.
I'm on my second set of Danial Craig Collection.
All disc will freeze in my OPPO 203 player but QoS seems to be the worst so O have focused on it as the example of the problem

The QoS disc usually takes 1 or 2 scenes to start freezing if the 203 was just turned.
However, once it has started freezing and I restart the movie from scene 1 it won’t play more than a minute or 2 of scene 1 without freezing and it won’t play much of scene 1 from that point without constantly freezing with no audio.
I can load another UHD disc (I have close to 300) and the loaded disc will play in its entirety without a single freeze.
I have played at least 6-7 different UHD movies (some with DV) in their entirety without a single freeze of the video (several were released after QoS).

I'm in email discussions with OPPO customer support, their position; the movie plays on many 203's with the last 2/19 update and my player has never had a problems playing UHD disc, so "its not the OPPO firmware", must be a bad disc".
OPPO did issue a "return authorization number" so I can send the QoS 4k disc to them and they will evaluate the disc on their players.
Stay tuned..
galonzo likes this.
post #37397 of 37535 Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
I'm on my second set of Danial Craig Collection.

I'm in email discussions with OPPO customer support, their position; the movie plays on many 203's with the last 2/19 update and my player has never had a problems playing UHD disc, so "its not the OPPO firmware", must be a bad disc".
OPPO did issue a "return authorization number" so I can send the QoS 4k disc to them and they will evaluate the disc on their players.
Stay tuned..
Playback issues with this set are not exclusive to Oppo.There's no question that the discs are the problem, I hope you are still in your window for returning them. Discs that are "out of spec" are expected to play alright on one player and not on another, but the problem is still the disc. You should keep returning them till you get a good set. Perhaps it would help to buy from a different retailer.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by rdgrimes; 11-09-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #37398 of 37535 Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Will there be another major firmware release in the future or is the current Feb 2019 version the final one?
TrueDis and Modicen like this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #37399 of 37535 Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I posted a question several days ago about whether setting my 203 to "Force HDR" would speed up seeing my disks on-screen with my HDR-capable 4K JVC projector by bypassing HDMI negotiation about whether the display can handle HDR or needs to have the 203 convert HDR to SDR.

The answer is that "Force HDR" speeds things up dramatically, since, with the player set to upscale everything to 4K, there's no negotiation at all.

What had been a ten second wait to see anything, with the sound starting at the five-second point has been cut back to maybe a second after the sound, which itself appears in only about a second. The projector sees that it's getting HDR and quickly changes to that color gamut, or sees that it's getting SDR and changes to that gamut, but there's no "negotiation" between the two devices, and the AVR, over relative capabilities.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 11-09-2019 at 04:44 AM.
post #37400 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Been reading for hours now and I think I know the answer but I wanted to get some buy-in before giving up. For the longest time I have been using a USB drive connected directly to the Oppo. It was a 12TB drive and it worked great. My library is growing and instead of dropping money on a larger drive I decided to move to a network sharing setup where I could load a couple of drives into a PC and span them to give me cheaper/larger storage. Unfortunately I can not get the Oppo to see the Win10 PC that I am sharing. I have done all the stuff I could find like enabling SMBv1.0 in windows features, turned on network discovery and file sharing options, etc. Nothing would allow me to see the machine from the Oppo GUI or mobile app. The closest I could get was to enable the media streaming function within Win10 which did give me visibility of the PC and shared folder, but they were not SMB shares (DLNA maybe?) and the movie would not play when selected. Yes, I had the file structure correct with the BDMV folder nested in an AVCHD folder.

Is there anyway to get a Win10 PC to work with the Oppo for network file sharing or should I just find a cheap NAS give up on this PC setup?

Thanks for the help.
post #37401 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gable74 View Post
Been reading for hours now and I think I know the answer but I wanted to get some buy-in before giving up. For the longest time I have been using a USB drive connected directly to the Oppo. It was a 12TB drive and it worked great. My library is growing and instead of dropping money on a larger drive I decided to move to a network sharing setup where I could load a couple of drives into a PC and span them to give me cheaper/larger storage. Unfortunately I can not get the Oppo to see the Win10 PC that I am sharing. I have done all the stuff I could find like enabling SMBv1.0 in windows features, turned on network discovery and file sharing options, etc. Nothing would allow me to see the machine from the Oppo GUI or mobile app. The closest I could get was to enable the media streaming function within Win10 which did give me visibility of the PC and shared folder, but they were not SMB shares (DLNA maybe?) and the movie would not play when selected. Yes, I had the file structure correct with the BDMV folder nested in an AVCHD folder.

Is there anyway to get a Win10 PC to work with the Oppo for network file sharing or should I just find a cheap NAS give up on this PC setup?

Thanks for the help.
If you've tried everything in the FAQ: How do I access SMB shares on Windows 10? without success, you could try NFS as shown in the topic after that.

BDMV directories work only on (a) local storage, (b) SMB, (c) NFS.

DLNA is not designed for directory structured formats.

-Bill

post #37402 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked: 2757
Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Just a few days ago (maybe a week) I asked a similar question and someone posted a registry fix on Windows which seemed to help but not completely. You may want to do a search on my username on this thread. You should find it easily.
gable74 likes this.

lujan
570 Ultra HD
726 HD
4 SD
post #37403 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
If your time and aggravation has a measurable value to you, consider instead getting a basic NAS device that is designed for this very job. It'll serve up as many drives as you want to install or attach to it and present none of the above issues.
post #37404 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
If you've tried everything in the FAQ: How do I access SMB shares on Windows 10? without success, you could try NFS as shown in the topic after that.

BDMV directories work only on (a) local storage, (b) SMB, (c) NFS.

DLNA is not designed for directory structured formats.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Just a few days ago (maybe a week) I asked a similar question and someone posted a registry fix on Windows which seemed to help but not completely. You may want to do a search on my username on this thread. You should find it easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If your time and aggravation has a measurable value to you, consider instead getting a basic NAS device that is designed for this very job. It'll serve up as many drives as you want to install or attach to it and present none of the above issues.
The registry edit did not work either. I have spent far too much time on this already. I will just pick up a simple NAS and be done I guess. Just sucks because it is a royal pain trying to copy 12Tb of titles someplace while re-setting up the drives. Literally takes a day to copy everything back and forth. Oh well, at least I have the actual disks in case something goes wrong but dear Lord, I don't even want to imagine the time it would take to re-rip everything....lol. I really appreciate the help guys.
post #37405 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
The registry edit did not work either. I have spent far too much time on this already. I will just pick up a simple NAS and be done I guess. Just sucks because it is a royal pain trying to copy 12Tb of titles someplace while re-setting up the drives. Literally takes a day to copy everything back and forth. Oh well, at least I have the actual disks in case something goes wrong but dear Lord, I don't even want to imagine the time it would take to re-rip everything....lol. I really appreciate the help guys.
An NAS will have USB ports, so you can just connect the drive you have and it will serve that. No need to copy anything. That said, you should have it all backed up anyway.
galonzo likes this.
post #37406 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
An NAS will have USB ports, so you can just connect the drive you have and it will serve that. No need to copy anything. That said, you should have it all backed up anyway.
Well the drives I will use in the NAS are currently acting as a spanned drive in the win10 PC. So I will need to copy the titles someplace else prior to putting them in the NAS and setting that up. Backup? Yes, but only about 30% are backed up as I am not bleeding 12Tb+ drives over here...lol.
post #37407 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 816
For anyone who does decide to go down the NAS route....

Check through the NAS's specification to ascertain which file format systems it supports for USB connected HDD's.

A few years ago I made the mistake of formatting several new HDD's with the exFAT file system (because I used to work with both Mac and Windows computers). Anyway, after transferring thousands of media files over to the HDD's I discovered that my Synology NAS did not (at the time) support this particular file system

And although Synology does offer support for the exFAT file system now, they charge you $3.99 for the privilege....
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #37408 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
This is a very long thread about a great device so you may have missed my posts. I've gathered info from other helpful people on this thread about streaming to the oppo. (also, I highly recommend wired networking to the oppo as wireless isn't great for quality rips as it uses a lot of bandwidth).

I've detailed win 10 (post CU update) won't work unless you make something else the master browser. I've also detailed how to quickly make Windows 10 work with nfs (thanks the advice of others on this forum) This literally takes 3 minutes to do (maybe 10 if you don't really spend as much time with computers as I do).

(in this example I use my G: drive for storing my movies - you could substitue c: or any other drive letter and folder you are using)

NFS Sharing

Get Winfsd.exe (FREE)

Create a batch file –e.g. oppo.bat and put it some place easy to access - I copied mine to c:\windows\system32 but you can put it any place you like.

(the single line below is the bat file)

G:\Install\install\Winfsd\winnfsd.exe -id 0 0 -log off -pathFile "G:\Install\install\Winfsd\exports.txt"

Create a TXT file –e.g. Exports.txt (the txt file should contain the location of your mkv files or mp3 or flac files - whatever you want to play back for video and music)

G:\Movies

G:\TV

G:\Music

Put the batch file in your startup tasks in task schedular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.png
Views:	30
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2638628

If you've spent a lot of time ripping movies (which I sure did) make sure you have a backup. This is my older computer - essentially the same other than motherboard and video card as my new computer - each has 163TB of storage and you can't hear either from 5' away. I replaced all the stock fans with Noctua on my newer unit - added some additional ones as I loaded it with 16 12TB drives. I put fans in the drive slots below the raid controller and the 10gb nics so they would keep cool. Nearly all 11 of the fans run at the lowest speed but keep every temperature sensor on the controller, cpu, drives in an optimal range. These were far more work than buying a nas, but they also act as computers and are far far quieter than any nas I've ever heard.

It definitely isn't as tidy as many cases you'll see (which are always impressive to me) but it does have an insane amount of storage and gaming power without any water cooling. I coated all the interior with plastidip so nothing rattles much and also put sound material on the doors. They unfortunately insulate heat as well as noise but I have good air flow so the heat gets out of the exhaust (top and back) very efficiently. It has 6 drives behind the dual fans at the bottom, 5 in the 3.5" bays, 2 on mounted holders (I had to add) and 3 in the upper bays which are 5.25" bays (I put thin fans on the opposite side and opened up the side of that bay for better flow). The noctua fans I replaced the stock fans in my newer case are definitely much quieter. I still have plenty of storage space so I'm hoping by the time I build my next one (in about 4 years - it will be all SSD).
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by boe; 11-09-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #37409 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I've detailed win 10 won't work unless you make something else the master browser. I've also detailed how to quickly make Windows 10 work with nfs (thanks the advice of others on this forum) This litterally takes 3 minutes to do.

(in this example I use my G: drive for storing my movies - you could substitue c: or any other drive letter and folder you are using)

NFS Sharing

Get Winfsd.exe

Create a batch file –e.g. oppo.bat and put it some place easy to access - I copied mine to c:\windows\system32 but you can put it any place you like.

(the single line below is the bat file)

G:\Install\install\Winfsd\winnfsd.exe -id 0 0 -log off -pathFile "G:\Install\install\Winfsd\exports.txt"

I'm currently using SMB v1 on my Win 10 Pro desktop. Another much older machine on my LAN provides the Master Browser. That older machine may get retired.

Is it possible to set up NFS on my Win 10 desktop to network to my 203 while the Oppo retains the saved SMB login credentials from my Win 10 machine?

IOW, leave SMB as is (since it works) and add NFS support so I can try it. Then I can compare the two.

Create a TXT file –e.g. Exports.txt (the txt file should contain the location of your mkv files or mp3 or flac files - whatever you want to play back for video and music)

G:\Movies

G:\TV

G:\Music

Put the batch file in your startup tasks in task schedular

Attachment 2638628

If you've spent a lot of time ripping movies (which I sure did) make sure you have a backup.
I'm currently using SMB v1 on my Win 10 Pro desktop to network to my 203 (and 103). Another much older machine on my LAN provides the Master Browser. That older machine may get retired.

Is it possible to set up NFS on my Win 10 desktop to network to my 203 (and 103) while the Oppo retains the saved SMB login credentials from my Win 10 machine?

IOW, leave SMB as is (since it works) and add NFS support so I can try it. Then I can compare the two.
galonzo likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #37410 of 37535 Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 555
If you are running Win 10 prior to CU, you'll find SMB still works. If you turn that computer on first before any newer ones it will be the master browser so the newer ones can share as well with the Oppo. The credentials only work when an older computer or a router acts as the master brower. NFS doesn't have any impact or interaction with SMB so it won't impact credentials or allow you to access windows shares through SMB. Your SMB will show up with the computer name, NFS will show up with the computer IP address. So if your question is can you put nfs on a pc that is still working with SMB, yes - they won't interfere with eachother and both will show up on the oppo.
kokishin and vavan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page