Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280451Likes

post #37471 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by gable74 View Post
Well I got it but dear Jesus, what a mess.

First of all, thanks to everyone's input although I am not sure I will run with this method yet considering what a mess it is.

Here is what I did:
Loaded up a spare PC with Windows 10 Ver. 1511 Build 10586.164. Although any version/build before the CU update would probably be fine.
I used RUFUS to download and set up a thumb drive to load the older Win OS. This did not load any drivers so I had a little time rounding those up and getting everything up to speed.

With that PC up and running I set up the file and printer sharing options to make the PC discoverable, turn off password sharing, etc. Basically everything you would do to a newly setup PC.
SMBv1 is on by default in this build so no need to go through any setup there.
I then set up a shared file and set permissions for that file, all access and read/write privileges.
Checked the Oppo and nothing there.

I opened a command prompt on the test PC and used the command nbtstat -a computer_name to see what was acting as the master browser.
Found that one of the laptops was still on and acting as the browser so I shut it down and then rebooted the test PC.
****Side note, you can not run that command on the same PC you are using for some reason, it errors out. You have to run it from a remote PC.****
Now all windows PCs are off.
When the test PC booted back up I reset the Oppo and viola, I could now see the SMB share on the test PC.

I attached a pic of the result of what that nbtstat command looks like. That last line that reads __MSBROWSE__ GROUP Registered tells you that its the master browser. It would seem if anything other than the sharing PC is the master browser, it wont show up on the Oppo. Just my observations, yours may be different.

I then booted back up the other 3 PCs in the house and everything stuck fine.

If that PC ever gets rebooted, it means every other PC and the Oppo would need to be turned off, the SMB sharing PC rebooted first, then all other PCs rebooted. So I am not sure I am going this route yet or not.
Did you try winfsd on that PC to find out if it was a firewall or something else on the other computers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37472 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Did you try winfsd on that PC to find out if it was a firewall or something else on the other computers?
I mentioned it in a little more detail a few posts back but yes, I did get NFS working as well. What seemed to work was power cycling the Oppo between changes. Not just turning it off but actually pulling the plug for a few seconds. NSF seems a little more forgiving with Win10 so I will likely stick with that. Did not seem to be any firewall issues.

Thanks!
boe likes this.
post #37473 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4222
Quote:
I mentioned it in a little more detail a few posts back but yes, I did get NFS working as well. What seemed to work was power cycling the Oppo between changes. Not just turning it off but actually pulling the plug for a few seconds. NSF seems a little more forgiving with Win10 so I will likely stick with that. Did not seem to be any firewall issues.

Thanks!
Assuming your goal in pulling the power cord is to reset your network connection you can accomplish the same thing by just disconnecting your network connection in the Setup menu, waiting 10-15 secs and then reconnecting. This will initiate a rescan of the network for available shares/devices.
galonzo, gable74 and vavan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37474 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Assuming your goal in pulling the power cord is to reset your network connection you can accomplish the same thing by just disconnecting your network connection in the Setup menu, waiting 10-15 secs and then reconnecting. This will initiate a rescan of the network for available shares/devices.
Good call! Thank you.
post #37475 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 30833
Thumbs up

Quote:
Feeling a little froggy since I got SMB working so I wanted to try my hand at NSF again.. I went through the exact same steps to set it up as I did the first time and bingo, it worked. I did one thing different this time though. When I was done setting it up, I power cycled the Oppo. Not just turned it off but unplugged it and waited about 20 seconds and plugged it back in. Opened the network GUI and there were the NSF shares.

Looking back I can honestly say now that I am unsure how many of my failure with NSF and SMB were just me not power cycling the Oppo. Well either way I will probably just stick with NSF since its much more compatible with the new Win10 builds.

I guess the moral of my story is after any changes, power cycle the player...lol.

Again, I appreciate all the help and info.

I've been following your saga and I must say you deserve an A+ for perseverance
Bytehoven, galonzo and gable74 like this.
post #37476 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I've been following your saga and I must say you deserve an A+ for perseverance
lol...thanks. Its my OCD not letting me stop
Bytehoven and Matt2026 like this.
post #37477 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr View Post
I have forgot my Win10 SMB share user id. How do I find out that? I have tried several obvious choices but no luck. Password I remember. Would need id for my other "oppo" device.
hlindstr,

I don't think you're asking about the name of the share itself. You see that every time you connect from the Oppo with NETWORK -- SmbServerName -- Video -- ShareName.

I assume you're asking about advanced file sharing that depends on usernames and passwords. (The "several obvious choices" phrase doesn't fit with my assumption unless you have LOTS of usernames.) I don't know how public "media sharing" works.

To see the list of usernames, click:
START -- SETTINGS -- ACCOUNTS -- FAMILY & OTHER USERS

The folder being shared has separate lists for access from the network and to the files on disk.

To see the list of usernames & groups that can use the share: right-click the folder and PROPERTIES -- SHARING -- ADVANCED SHARING -- PERMISSIONS.

To see the list of usernames & groups that can read the files: right-click the folder and PROPERTIES -- SECURITY

You need to identify a username that has read access in both of these access lists. (It might get read access by being in a group that can read the files.)

Carl
hlindstr likes this.
post #37478 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 06:42 PM

Well it didn't last long...lol.

Had full access last night and could see all my files. I checked again this afternoon and I now get a message on the Oppo screen that reads, "access is denied by the server", when I try to access that same folder..

Time to figure this one out now. Not sure why it would do that as I made no changes since last night. Weird.
post #37479 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 30833
Unhappy

Quote:

Had full access last night and could see all my files. I checked again this afternoon and I now get a message on the Oppo screen that reads, "access is denied by the server", when I try to access that same folder..

Time to figure this one out now. Not sure why it would do that as I made no changes since last night. Weird.

Hang in, we're rooting for ya
post #37480 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've seen that happen when something else takes over as the master browser. It caches that it could see it at one time when the older OS was the master browser but then can't - winfsd usually doesn't suffer this issue but smb does.
post #37481 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 PM
JJ7
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I just picked up Black Hawk Down UHD and tried watching the extended edition on the Oppo 203. I'm getting audio cut outs and lip sync issues due to the branching. I see others have reported this too, just trying to understand if there is a resolution– replacements discs, etc.
galonzo likes this.
post #37482 of 38863 Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cTwining View Post
hlindstr,

I don't think you're asking about the name of the share itself. You see that every time you connect from the Oppo with NETWORK -- SmbServerName -- Video -- ShareName.

I assume you're asking about advanced file sharing that depends on usernames and passwords. (The "several obvious choices" phrase doesn't fit with my assumption unless you have LOTS of usernames.) I don't know how public "media sharing" works.

To see the list of usernames, click:
START -- SETTINGS -- ACCOUNTS -- FAMILY & OTHER USERS

The folder being shared has separate lists for access from the network and to the files on disk.

To see the list of usernames & groups that can use the share: right-click the folder and PROPERTIES -- SHARING -- ADVANCED SHARING -- PERMISSIONS.

To see the list of usernames & groups that can read the files: right-click the folder and PROPERTIES -- SECURITY

You need to identify a username that has read access in both of these access lists. (It might get read access by being in a group that can read the files.)

Carl
By obvious user name I meant user ids I typically tend to use and which is requested in addition to password by Oppo first time you try to enter SMB share. I tried my no.1 Name then name (lowercase), then Name2 and name2 but nothing seem to work. I think I checked folder properties method you explained and tried usernames found under permissions. User name cannot be anything unusual because otherwise I would have written it down next to the password in my small book of secrets .

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 (60-0625) and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB

Last edited by hlindstr; 11-12-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #37483 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4099 Post(s)
Liked: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
I just picked up Black Hawk Down UHD and tried watching the extended edition on the Oppo 203. I'm getting audio cut outs and lip sync issues due to the branching. I see others have reported this too, just trying to understand if there is a resolution– replacements discs, etc.
A quick rewind of a few seconds should resolve the sync issue. I watch these type titles by ripping to HDD, which eliminates the problem. But if you're not set up for that you're just out of luck. Its pretty much an exclusive problem to Dolby THD titles.
galonzo likes this.
post #37484 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I've seen that happen when something else takes over as the master browser. It caches that it could see it at one time when the older OS was the master browser but then can't - winfsd usually doesn't suffer this issue but smb does.
I am getting this issue with winfsd. I dumped SMB when I thought NFS was up and running fine. I have tried a bunch of things like setting up windows permissions, removing windows permissions, deleting and changing the shared folder, etc. but the access problem persists. I tried temporarily disabling the firewall and that made no difference either. I will keep chipping away as I have time I suppose.
post #37485 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 05:17 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am getting this issue with winfsd. I dumped SMB when I thought NFS was up and running fine. I have tried a bunch of things like setting up windows permissions, removing windows permissions, deleting and changing the shared folder, etc. but the access problem persists. I tried temporarily disabling the firewall and that made no difference either. I will keep chipping away as I have time I suppose.
That I don't have an answer for - perhaps it has something to do with the computer going to sleep? If you have a spare PC, perhaps you could put that vanilla install of windows on it and see if it has the same issue.
post #37486 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
That I don't have an answer for - perhaps it has something to do with the computer going to sleep? If you have a spare PC, perhaps you could put that vanilla install of windows on it and see if it has the same issue.
Power options are set to never go to sleep.

I will try powering down the other PCs and start there. Need to make sure the issue is with the host and not from something else on the network. Not sure if I will get time to mess with it tonight but I will post up if I do.

Thanks,
post #37487 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking for a little help! I want to play 2 channel music streamed from a NAS drive via the USB port, can it be done and what setting do I have to change. I am feeding that jab into a Bryston SP3, right now i can only get music via the HDMI but then its not 2 channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #37488 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Can i purchase a very cheap hdd nas enclosure and just do a jobd configuration?
Will the oppo see all of the drives this way so i can keep adding tb of movies now that all 3 usb slots are taken?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" wide 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Yamaha RX-A3050, Yamaha RX-Z9, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Panasonic UC420, Geek Pulse DAC, Nvidia Shield. Lots of iFi and Furman power filters which made my computer audio listenable.
post #37489 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Can i purchase a very cheap hdd nas enclosure and just do a jobd configuration?
Yes, and that's "JBOD"
Quote:
Will the oppo see all of the drives this way so i can keep adding tb of movies now that all 3 usb slots are taken?
JBOD is a single volume created on the NAS, so the Oppo will see the single volume.
post #37490 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks,
Would this do the job??
Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 PRORAID 4 Bay 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" wide 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Yamaha RX-A3050, Yamaha RX-Z9, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Panasonic UC420, Geek Pulse DAC, Nvidia Shield. Lots of iFi and Furman power filters which made my computer audio listenable.
post #37491 of 38863 Old 11-12-2019, 08:39 PM
JJ7
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
A quick rewind of a few seconds should resolve the sync issue. I watch these type titles by ripping to HDD, which eliminates the problem. But if you're not set up for that you're just out of luck. Its pretty much an exclusive problem to Dolby THD titles.
Black Hawk Down, the extended cut, is the only title I have this issue with. It seems to be a problem with the seamless branching. I'm not sure how many players are affected, but the 203 certainly seems to be. And I'm bit streaming Atmos to a Denon X4300H.
galonzo likes this.
post #37492 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks,
Would this do the job??
Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 PRORAID 4 Bay 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA
Not a NAS device as far as I can see. Just a HDD enclosure for USB/SATA access.
post #37493 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any suggestions for the cheapest 4bay enclosure that will do what i am looking to do (show oppo all my movies from 4hdds on one usb input)?
I assume just an enclosure won't do that and i need a NAS

post #37494 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
Quote:
Any suggestions for the cheapest 4bay enclosure that will do what i am looking to do (show oppo all my movies from 4hdds on one usb input)?
I assume just an enclosure won't do that and i need a NAS
A NAS connects to the Oppo over the network using SMB or NFS shares and can also play the role of a DLNA server, so a NAS is NOT going to connect to one of the USB ports on the Oppo. Synology and Qnap are 2 popular choices for NAS devices.
post #37495 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like even people with networking experience have some trouble getting a NAS to work.
Will just a hdd enclosure do what I want? That is, will the oppo see the 4 hdds connected thru the usb input? I would like to be able to connect more than 3 hdds to the oppo at a time

post #37496 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
If I connect an Apple 4 TV into the HDMI input will I still be able to separate the HDMI outputs for AUDIO and VIDEO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Not sure you meant Apple 4 or Apple 4K.

With the ATV4K, the Oppo does not accept the Dolby MAT 2.0 Atmos audio from the ATV4K. No audio unless you turn Atmos off in the ATV4K.
Claw is correct. If you want Atmos out of the ATV4k you have to run the ATV to your receiver first, then to the Oppo. I have all my sources going to the receiver, then output from receiver to Oppo input, and Oppo output to the projector. I do use the audio out HDMI on the Oppo back to the receiver for audio from Oppo playback. Again, the short answer is yes you can run the ATV in to the Oppo input, but if you want ATMOS it has to go ATV -> receiver -> Oppo
galonzo likes this.
post #37497 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Sounds like even people with networking experience have some trouble getting a NAS to work.
Not really. But as with any new device, there's some learning to do.

It's people who have their media files stored on Windows 10 or Mac computers who are having problems getting their OPPO's to detect their files via SMB file serving. And SMB file serving is vital if you want to play 2K and 4K Blu-ray 'full disc' back-ups stored within AVCHD folders. And play music with .Cue sheets.

Quote:
Will just a hdd enclosure do what I want? That is, will the oppo see the 4 hdds connected thru the usb input? I would like to be able to connect more than 3 hdds to the oppo at a time
Directly connecting USB HDD's to the OPPO is fine, if all you want to do is play media files only using your OPPO.

Sadly, because the OPPO's do not offer any 'file serving' capabilities, it means that no other media playback devices in your home will be able to see the HDD's connected to your OPPO and play your files.

Cheers
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11-13-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #37498 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am fine with only playing the media files in the theater with the oppo. I am just running out of hdd space

post #37499 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
I am fine with only playing the media files in the theater with the oppo. I am just running out of hdd space...
Okay then... External HDD's (within USB caddies) directly connected to any one the OPPO's three USB ports should work fine.

Personally, I haven't tried the Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 PRORAID device you've suggested, I've only connected single HDD's (within dozens of different makes and models of USB caddies, externally powered and self powered), the largest capacity being 4TB. But I'm sure other people here can offer suggestions.

Cheers
galonzo and gymnos like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11-13-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #37500 of 38863 Old 11-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I am fine with only playing the media files in the theater with the oppo. I am just running out of hdd space
You're describing a "HDD Dock"
I use one of THESE. Its a bit pricy, but the benefit is that each bay is powered separately. Most multi-bay docks use one power supply. What that means is that if you turn one or shut off one drive, all drives are interrupted for a minute. With this one upi can turn on or off any drive(s) while using another.
USB 3 compatible. The Oppo will see each individual drive. Some folke like to have one dock at the player and another dock at a PC, so you can easily walk HDDs back and forth between them and manage contents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page