Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279436Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37561 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Does the Oppo-203 process/improve the PQ from external streamers (e.g. Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4k, or Nvidia Shield '19) plugged into the HDMI-in port. How much improvement is there on the PQ for Netflix, Prime, etc?
Also - does it convert the Netflix, etc 4k/HDR to 4k/SDR ?
IMO, no effect. It just passes the feed through without processing.
dianebrat likes this.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37562 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,354
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Does the Oppo-203 process/improve the PQ from external streamers (e.g. Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4k, or Nvidia Shield '19) plugged into the HDMI-in port. How much improvement is there on the PQ for Netflix, Prime, etc?
Also - does it convert the Netflix, etc 4k/HDR to 4k/SDR ?
The Oppo will apply the same processing it applies to any other content played, such as DVD's, Blurays, etc. If you select Source Direct or the Input Bypass option, then there's no processing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
IMO, no effect. It just passes the feed through without processing.
If playing 1080P content and the Oppo is configured for 1080P output, for example, there won't be any processing as nothing needs to be done. However, if sending in 480P and outputting 4K, the Oppo handles the scaling and so on just as it does with any other material it plays.
galonzo likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #37563 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,509
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5540 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The Oppo will apply the same processing it applies to any other content played, such as DVD's, Blurays, etc. If you select Source Direct or the Input Bypass option, then there's no processing.



If playing 1080P content and the Oppo is configured for 1080P output, for example, there won't be any processing as nothing needs to be done. However, if sending in 480P and outputting 4K, the Oppo handles the scaling and so on just as it does with any other material it plays.
I was thinking when sending 4K from another device through the OPPO.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37564 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cgott42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Valley, NY USA
Posts: 2,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If playing 1080P content and the Oppo is configured for 1080P output, for example, there won't be any processing as nothing needs to be done.
I was thinking when sending 4K from another device through the OPPO.
yes , How much improvement on 4k material (from Roku ultra)output in 4k over what i would see vs the roku without the oppo
cgott42 is offline  
post #37565 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,354
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
yes , How much improvement on 4k material (from Roku ultra)output in 4k over what i would see vs the roku without the oppo
With a 4K source there’s not much to be done, so there’s really no advantage sending the source through the Oppo. My AppleTV 4K doesn’t go through my Oppo...
galonzo likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #37566 of 37603 Old 11-25-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cgott42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Valley, NY USA
Posts: 2,383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
With a 4K source there’s not much to be done, so there’s really no advantage sending the source through the Oppo. My AppleTV 4K doesn’t go through my Oppo...
thanks, so I guess the only gain (which is big) is to convert the 4k/HDR to 4k/SDR for older projector viewing.
thx
cgott42 is offline  
post #37567 of 37603 Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 AM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
With a 4K source there’s not much to be done, so there’s really no advantage sending the source through the Oppo. My AppleTV 4K doesn’t go through my Oppo...
Thinking of adding a AppleTV 4k to my Home Theater. (To help me get Disney+) My current Receiver Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't pass thru Dolby Vision, (just missed the cut of having this tech) so I am lucky that my Oppo has a dual HDMI-OUT, currently I am using this to still get Dolby Vision on my new Panasonic OLED 65GZ1000 with physical media. (HDMI-OUT Audio to my Receiver / HDMI-OUT Main to my Display) Will the HDMI-IN on the Oppo help me if I add a AppleTV 4k? Cause if I plug the AppleTV 4K into my receiver I will get Dolby Atmos but no Dolby Vision when using Disney+ and then if I plug in my AppleTV 4K into my Panasonic OLED directly, I will get Dolby Vision but no Dolby Atmos, correct??? So this would be a work around from that issue....... am I right???

Thanks

Also, looking into getting Disney+ but need a streaming device, is the AppleTV 4K the cream of the crop? covers all the bases (Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision) or is the Amazon Fire TV Cube an alternative, along with the Ruku??? thanks again

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #37568 of 37603 Old 11-26-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,802
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Thinking of adding a AppleTV 4k to my Home Theater. (To help me get Disney+) My current Receiver Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't pass thru Dolby Vision, (just missed the cut of having this tech) so I am lucky that my Oppo has a dual HDMI-OUT, currently I am using this to still get Dolby Vision on my new Panasonic OLED 65GZ1000 with physical media. (HDMI-OUT Audio to my Receiver / HDMI-OUT Main to my Display) Will the HDMI-IN on the Oppo help me if I add a AppleTV 4k? Cause if I plug the AppleTV 4K into my receiver I will get Dolby Atmos but no Dolby Vision when using Disney+ and then if I plug in my AppleTV 4K into my Panasonic OLED directly, I will get Dolby Vision but no Dolby Atmos, correct??? So this would be a work around from that issue....... am I right???

Thanks

Also, looking into getting Disney+ but need a streaming device, is the AppleTV 4K the cream of the crop? covers all the bases (Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision) or is the Amazon Fire TV Cube an alternative, along with the Ruku??? thanks again
I prefer the ATV4K to the Roku Ultra. The new shield looks interesting as an ATV4K alternative.
wozman likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #37569 of 37603 Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
For the Apple TV 4K it seems the Oppo's HDMI input now handles dolby vision, but still it does not handle the type of Atmos that comes from the Apple TV 4K and the Xbox One S/X.

Original Problem in this Post Resolved:
Are there some magical settings to get hdmi input bypass to actually pass through Dolby Vision? I've got a 2017 LG OLED. I'll get the banners on my tv, but everything has a black screen. Right now I'm testing with Apple TV 4K.

I've searched the thread, but haven't found much discussion since firmware was officially updated adding the hdmi input bypass feature.

Solution: Shutup and reboot worked for getting Dolby Vision working. hdmi 101
galonzo and wozman like this.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)

Last edited by meles; 11-26-2019 at 09:18 PM.
meles is offline  
post #37570 of 37603 Old 11-27-2019, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 
hlindstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
"HDMI In Bypass" feature was added in the latest FW 65-0131 and Public Beta preceding it. It enables Dolby Vision pass through and can be selected via "Input" button in the remote controller.
galonzo likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw region modded, M9702 v3 "Chinoppo" (65-0131), Apple TV 4K 32GB, LG OLED55E6V 55", Asustor 2-Bay NAS currently 8TB
hlindstr is offline  
post #37571 of 37603 Old 11-27-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatherom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 210
AVS won't let me search for "DSD PCM" since the words are too short.

If I send DSD to my receiver, I know that the Oppo won't compensate for the .1 channel, and my receiver is supposed to do that work. My question is: what should I do on the receiver to compensate for the low bass? Do I up the subwoofer level by 10db when listening to a SACD? Or do I do something else?

Thanks,

Chris
codyrocco likes this.


Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
fatherom is offline  
post #37572 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 01:25 AM
Member
 
Holland108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Thinking of adding a AppleTV 4k to my Home Theater. (To help me get Disney+) My current Receiver Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't pass thru Dolby Vision, (just missed the cut of having this tech) so I am lucky that my Oppo has a dual HDMI-OUT, currently I am using this to still get Dolby Vision on my new Panasonic OLED 65GZ1000 with physical media. (HDMI-OUT Audio to my Receiver / HDMI-OUT Main to my Display) Will the HDMI-IN on the Oppo help me if I add a AppleTV 4k? Cause if I plug the AppleTV 4K into my receiver I will get Dolby Atmos but no Dolby Vision when using Disney+ and then if I plug in my AppleTV 4K into my Panasonic OLED directly, I will get Dolby Vision but no Dolby Atmos, correct??? So this would be a work around from that issue....... am I right???

Thanks

Also, looking into getting Disney+ but need a streaming device, is the AppleTV 4K the cream of the crop? covers all the bases (Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision) or is the Amazon Fire TV Cube an alternative, along with the Ruku??? thanks again
With the latest firmware upgrade the Disney+ app on my Apple TV 4K, it works quite well. Apple TV is connected to my Denon. I get whatever is selected: DV or HDR, Atmos or 5.1., all is working smoothly. I only use my OPPO for UHD en BR discs.

Do you have Dolby Vision 24Hz as output selected? And Dolby Atmos, if available?

Last edited by Holland108; 11-28-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Holland108 is offline  
post #37573 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
With the latest firmware upgrade the Disney+ app on my Apple TV 4K, it works quite well. Apple TV is connected to my Denon. I get whatever is selected: DV or HDR, Atmos or 5.1., all is working smoothly. I only use my OPPO for UHD en BR discs.

Do you have Dolby Vision 24Hz as output selected? And Dolby Atmos, if available?

Problem is, If I send my Stream Box (still haven't botten one yet, probably this weekend) straight to the receiver I will not get Dolby Vision. My Receiver is 1-2 years to old to get that technology Pioneer Elite SC-95 (2015/16 debut) that is why I want to run it into my Oppo since my Oppo can handle Dolby Vision and with its (2) HDMI outs I am witnessing it now when I play physical media discs on my Oppo. A nice work around....... HDMI (1) (video) goes directly to the display and the other HDMI (2) (audio) goes to the receiver, and its working perfectly with physical media, DV and DA on both.

I just want to make sure that this would work.


Narrowed down my choices to the AppleTV 4K OR the Amazon Fire Stick 4K OR the Amazon Fire Cube, some nice deals for the Amazon Fire Stick 4K this weekend.

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #37574 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
With the latest firmware upgrade the Disney+ app on my Apple TV 4K, it works quite well. Apple TV is connected to my Denon. I get whatever is selected: DV or HDR, Atmos or 5.1., all is working smoothly. I only use my OPPO for UHD en BR discs.

Do you have Dolby Vision 24Hz as output selected? And Dolby Atmos, if available?
Is it still the case that when Apple TV 4K devices are directly connected to their OPPO's HDMI input that they wont be able to obtain Dolby Atmos?

EDIT: Or have Apple updated their devices to be able to bit-stream Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos with all apps now?


Cheers
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11-28-2019 at 08:38 AM.
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #37575 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,096
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Is it still the case that when Apple TV 4K devices are directly connected to their OPPO's HDMI input that they wont be able to obtain Dolby Atmos?

EDIT: Or have Apple updated their devices to be able to bit-stream Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos with all apps now?


Cheers
Oppo does not support Apple TV 4K Dolby MAT Atmos. You will get no audio for Atmos titles unless you turn off Atmos in the ATV4K.

Apple TV 4K does not support bit-streaming audio.

Neither is likely to change.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #37576 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i have the Oppo 203 , i have not done any of the firmware updates at all, i like how it doesnt show the bluray rips protections, should i upgrade to the latest firmware ? i do have a 4k tv LG OLED65G7P , i do have a bose sound bar and subwoofer. I bought the Oppo 203 i think maybe like March 2017. Thank You for your comments and responds
abcc777 is offline  
post #37577 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 09:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,633
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcc777 View Post
i have the Oppo 203 , i have not done any of the firmware updates at all, i like how it doesnt show the bluray rips protections, should i upgrade to the latest firmware ? i do have a 4k tv LG OLED65G7P , i do have a bose sound bar and subwoofer. I bought the Oppo 203 i think maybe like March 2017. Thank You for your comments and responds
Welcome to AVSForum.

The first post in this thread has a history of firmware releases. You can see what has been done since your firmware.

How to find your firmware version is shown in the manual.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37578 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi, thank you , yes i have gone throu a few of them reading them, was wondering if there was any take aways if i should upgrade, or if it would be the point of no going back, or anyone has experienced with latest updates your br-rips files not playing right , Thank you all
abcc777 is offline  
post #37579 of 37603 Old 11-28-2019, 04:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,633
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcc777 View Post
hi, thank you , yes i have gone throu a few of them reading them, was wondering if there was any take aways if i should upgrade, or if it would be the point of no going back, or anyone has experienced with latest updates your br-rips files not playing right , Thank you all
Upgrading is not urgent if you don't see any new features you want.

But: if you encounter any problems in the future the first advice will always be: "Upgrade to the current firmware".

-Bill
galonzo likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #37580 of 37603 Old 11-29-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Philnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
With the latest firmware upgrade the Disney+ app on my Apple TV 4K, it works quite well. Apple TV is connected to my Denon. I get whatever is selected: DV or HDR, Atmos or 5.1., all is working smoothly. I only use my OPPO for UHD en BR discs.

Do you have Dolby Vision 24Hz as output selected? And Dolby Atmos, if available?

Problem is, If I send my Stream Box (still haven't botten one yet, probably this weekend) straight to the receiver I will not get Dolby Vision. My Receiver is 1-2 years to old to get that technology Pioneer Elite SC-95 (2015/16 debut) that is why I want to run it into my Oppo since my Oppo can handle Dolby Vision and with its (2) HDMI outs I am witnessing it now when I play physical media discs on my Oppo. A nice work around....... HDMI (1) (video) goes directly to the display and the other HDMI (2) (audio) goes to the receiver, and its working perfectly with physical media, DV and DA on both.

I just want to make sure that this would work.


Narrowed down my choices to the AppleTV 4K OR the Amazon Fire Stick 4K OR the Amazon Fire Cube, some nice deals for the Amazon Fire Stick 4K this weekend.
I have both a 2017 4K Fire TV (not a stick) and a new Roku Ultra.

I use the Roku for all streaming video (with the audio set to Auto to get Atmos) and the Fire for Amazon Music Unlimited HD, with the audio set to Stereo to get CD quality PCM.

The Roku has most of what the Fire has, and more, except for the HD version of Music Unlimited, as Amazon keeps the Roku a few steps behind on the Music app to sell the Fire - until recently, it didn't even have the Unlimited version.

The Fire also has a functional Firefox web browser and a working Twonky DLNA client (which you won't need since the Oppo does that even better), and a SmugMug app which is only on older Rokus - go figure.

That's why I use both - and both are on sale for half price right now.

You could plug the Ultra into the Oppo and the Fire into the receiver, to get the benefits of both.
galonzo and wozman like this.


Last edited by Philnick; 11-29-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Philnick is online now  
post #37581 of 37603 Old 11-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Alright, Finally pulled the trigger and added a Apple TV 4K to my setup. Due to my receiver being 3-4 years old (Pioneer Elite SC-95) it passes thru 4K HD, but not Dolby Vision. HOWEVER with the Oppo having a HDMI-IN I solved that issue by plugging the Apple TV 4K directly into the Oppo as appose to my Receiver. Took me awhile to figure out the settings remembered I read something here on the forum about "HDMI-IN BYPASS" so I tried that and viola Dolby Vision now working on my newly subscribed Disney+, Although I am having issues with my Audio and receiving Dolby Atmos (which my receiver does handle) I sent the HDMI-OUT (Audio) from the Oppo to the receiver (just like its setup for playing physical media) and I don't get Dolby Atmos sound within my Apple TV 4K. What am I missing? is there a setting on the Oppo? Its basically sending the Audio source to the receiver in PCM showing on the Pioneer Elite Receiver display. Its not terrible sound by any stretch of the imagination, but when playing The Mandalorian (Star Wars) on Disney Plus I am not getting Dolby Atmos. Should I be? is there a setting on the Oppo to tell the Reciever to handle the Audio from the Apple TV 4K. I must add, that with this current setup, all Physical media I play with my Oppo sends me Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos Sound.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #37582 of 37603 Old 11-30-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Alright, Finally pulled the trigger and added a Apple TV 4K to my setup. Due to my receiver being 3-4 years old (Pioneer Elite SC-95) it passes thru 4K HD, but not Dolby Vision. HOWEVER with the Oppo having a HDMI-IN I solved that issue by plugging the Apple TV 4K directly into the Oppo as appose to my Receiver. Took me awhile to figure out the settings remembered I read something here on the forum about "HDMI-IN BYPASS" so I tried that and viola Dolby Vision now working on my newly subscribed Disney+, Although I am having issues with my Audio and receiving Dolby Atmos (which my receiver does handle) I sent the HDMI-OUT (Audio) from the Oppo to the receiver (just like its setup for playing physical media) and I don't get Dolby Atmos sound within my Apple TV 4K. What am I missing? is there a setting on the Oppo? Its basically sending the Audio source to the receiver in PCM showing on the Pioneer Elite Receiver display. Its not terrible sound by any stretch of the imagination, but when playing The Mandalorian (Star Wars) on Disney Plus I am not getting Dolby Atmos. Should I be? is there a setting on the Oppo to tell the Reciever to handle the Audio from the Apple TV 4K. I must add, that with this current setup, all Physical media I play with my Oppo sends me Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos Sound.

Any info greatly appreciated.
This post from a few pages back might help

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Oppo does not support Apple TV 4K Dolby MAT Atmos. You will get no audio for Atmos titles unless you turn off Atmos in the ATV4K.



Apple TV 4K does not support bit-streaming audio.



Neither is likely to change.
galonzo and wozman like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is offline  
post #37583 of 37603 Old 12-01-2019, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
...I don't get Dolby Atmos sound within my Apple TV 4K. What am I missing? is there a setting on the Oppo?
This is why I asked this question for you in the first place: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post58885988
galonzo and wozman like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #37584 of 37603 Old 12-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Deckard71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Hi guys, a very quick question

I have attached an Amazon Fire TV 4K stick to the HDMI IN of the Oppo

- If I select HDMI IN I get no DV, as expected

- If I select HDMI IN BYPASS, everything is in Dolby Vision: Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Plex... even for some 20 years old series I have in SD

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Epson TW7000 - Panasonic 50PZ80
5.2.2: Focal Aria 948/CC900/906 - 2x BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Marantz SR7013 - Emotiva A300 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro

Last edited by Deckard71; 12-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Deckard71 is offline  
post #37585 of 37603 Old 12-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Hi guys, a very quick question

I have attached an Amazon Fire TV 4K stick to the HDMI IN of the Oppo

- If I select HDMI IN I get no DV, as expected

- If I select HDMI IN BYPASS, everything is in Dolby Vision: Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Plex... even for some 20 years old series I have in SD

Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks
Take a look at Stick configurations. There is an option that sets everything to HDR. Change that from Always to Adaptive.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk
Deckard71 likes this.

Sent while surfing
Cricket-RJ is offline  
post #37586 of 37603 Old 12-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Deckard71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
Take a look at Stick configurations. There is an option that sets everything to HDR. Change that from Always to Adaptive.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk


Thanks! That was the cause
Cricket-RJ likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Epson TW7000 - Panasonic 50PZ80
5.2.2: Focal Aria 948/CC900/906 - 2x BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Marantz SR7013 - Emotiva A300 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Deckard71 is offline  
post #37587 of 37603 Old 12-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
Take a look at Stick configurations. There is an option that sets everything to HDR. Change that from Always to Adaptive.

Enviado de meu SM-G975U1 usando o Tapatalk
Does this apply to the AppleTV4K as well?

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #37588 of 37603 Old 12-03-2019, 06:25 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Does this apply to the AppleTV4K as well?
This
will prove useful to you.
Bytehoven, galonzo, wozman and 1 others like this.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #37589 of 37603 Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Firestick 4K Remote

Long-time lurker, first time poster here!

Apologies in advance if this has been covered; 1200+ pages is a lot to cover so I relied on searching.

My question is, for those of you who are utilizing the Firestick 4K thru the 203's HDMI IN, have you had any success adding the Blu-ray player as a device on your Firestick and controlling it with the Firestick remote? I'm having trouble because the setup procedure requires a Receiver Input change AND/OR a TV Input change to complete the setup, and in my setup (Firestick>203 HDMI IN>203 MAIN HDMI OUT>Marantz SR5003 HDMI IN>LG PV450 Plasma HDMI 1 IN) no input changes are required on the receiver or TV -- only on the Blu-ray player. Based on the limited flexibility in the setup procedure, I'm afraid it isn't possible but wondered if anyone else had done it.

The Firestick remote works great on the TV and Receiver, but a single-press power on would be great for the missus. I have a Harmony remote that I will ultimately configure but for streaming she likes/knows the Firestick remote better.

Thanks in advance for any input!
(P.S. -- I'm using the HDMI IN on the 203 because I have a OLED C9 on the way and the receiver doesn't support 4K HDR passthrough. My current setup wouldn't need to run through the OPPO but I'm not ready to upgrade the receiver with my TV.)
jacksoNOLE is offline  
post #37590 of 37603 Old 12-04-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,096
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
What is the largest external hdd the oppo will plays mkvs from?
My Oppo 203 sees my 12 TB WD Easystore external drive connected to a rear USB port and successfully plays a UHD disc folder. I can store around 170 UHD disc full folder backups to it.
edfowler, ht guy and KMFDMvsEnya like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off