Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1273 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279955Likes

post #38161 of 38231 Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post

The 3D setting had no effect on my Sony projector. I was able to pause and change the setting.
So sorry to hear the result, as this is extremely disappointing.

BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38162 of 38231 Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked: 8430
^ Some video setting changes may not take effect until you come out of Pause.
—Bob
johng and SimpleTheater like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #38163 of 38231 Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Some video setting changes may not take effect until you come out of Pause.
—Bob
Ah... Doh, I'll try again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38164 of 38231 Old 03-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Need help with Oppo player...

Experiencing some bugs with my Oppo player. It is on the latest firmware (65-0131)

If I hit PAUSE with the remote, it unpauses/plays again right away. I have checked both the remote and the player for stuck buttons, and that doesn't appear to be the issue.

Also, there is some strange behavior. For instance, for my Control4, I cannot "turn on" player. I can "eject" (which also turns it on), turn off, and other functions. Also, through the Control4 app, sometimes functionality stops working altogether after 30-60 seconds.

Has anyone seen this before? I have the Oppo connected to C4 via IP/Ethernet right now, but may try serial port. I tried to search but no luck. Thanks!
post #38165 of 38231 Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtrigsman View Post
Need help with Oppo player...

Experiencing some bugs with my Oppo player. It is on the latest firmware (65-0131)

If I hit PAUSE with the remote, it unpauses/plays again right away. I have checked both the remote and the player for stuck buttons, and that doesn't appear to be the issue.

Also, there is some strange behavior. For instance, for my Control4, I cannot "turn on" player. I can "eject" (which also turns it on), turn off, and other functions. Also, through the Control4 app, sometimes functionality stops working altogether after 30-60 seconds.

Has anyone seen this before? I have the Oppo connected to C4 via IP/Ethernet right now, but may try serial port. I tried to search but no luck. Thanks!
Did you try the simple things first, like changing batteries in the remote? Unclear from your post whether you are using the OPPO remote or C4. I would disconnect everything, including the output, from the OPPO and try it using the OPPO remote with fresh batteries to see if the problem is with the OPPO hardware, player or remote. If the standalone hardware works, then there are a myriad of possibilities, including C4 and CEC..
post #38166 of 38231 Old 03-26-2020, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone

When I bought the Oppo 203 I had a Sony 4K TV among the first ones that appeared without HDR, and the difference between a common Bluray disc with another 4K HDR disc was very noticeable, towards comparisons with two players on the same TV.

A while ago I switched to the Sony x950g with HDR, the other day by chance I compared the same movie with two players, the common Blu ray disc in a Sony BDP S6700 player, and the 4k HDR disc with the Oppo 203.

To my total surprise the common disk with the cheap Sony looks much better than the HDR disk with the Oppo, especially in the colors, as the HDR 4K was the common disk. The Oppo looks pale and faded colors on my Sony x950g.

This I had never noticed before, I saw all my movies with Oppo and I had never made the comparison, it was because a 4K HDr disc was freezed that I kept seeing the common disc in the other player, and there was my surprise.

I have tried several settings and changed the HDMI cables, someone has had the same problem.

Greetings and thanks Joe
post #38167 of 38231 Old 03-26-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Luis View Post
Hello everyone

When I bought the Oppo 203 I had a Sony 4K TV among the first ones that appeared without HDR, and the difference between a common Bluray disc with another 4K HDR disc was very noticeable, towards comparisons with two players on the same TV.

A while ago I switched to the Sony x950g with HDR, the other day by chance I compared the same movie with two players, the common Blu ray disc in a Sony BDP S6700 player, and the 4k HDR disc with the Oppo 203.

To my total surprise the common disk with the cheap Sony looks much better than the HDR disk with the Oppo, especially in the colors, as the HDR 4K was the common disk. The Oppo looks pale and faded colors on my Sony x950g.

This I had never noticed before, I saw all my movies with Oppo and I had never made the comparison, it was because a 4K HDr disc was freezed that I kept seeing the common disc in the other player, and there was my surprise.

I have tried several settings and changed the HDMI cables, someone has had the same problem.

Greetings and thanks Joe
Hmm, odd. What does it show on the TV that the signal is? What title too? So me that faded is something I've seen when the color space is wrong. Like for example the TV is on SDR709 but the signal is BT2020 or something like that - I can't recall exactly. I had a lot of trouble with the apple TV with this when I was trying to figure how to set it up.
galonzo likes this.
post #38168 of 38231 Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 5742 Post(s)
Liked: 4111
Quote:
Hello everyone

Greetings and thanks Joe
I owned a Sony a few years ago, I vaguely recall that you need to enable HDMI Enhanced or something like that in the tv settings, for that HDMI port, for HDR to work properly.
post #38169 of 38231 Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I owned a Sony a few years ago, I vaguely recall that you need to enable HDMI Enhanced or something like that in the tv settings, for that HDMI port, for HDR to work properly.
Yeah their projectors also. By default for some insane reason the ports are not HDCP 2.2 so it needs to be switched on in settings. But the result of that though is that I think it falls back (on UHD playback) to outputting 1080p SDR. It happened to me when I got my projector and it drove me nuts figuring what was wrong!
post #38170 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased an Oppo UDP-203.

Would there be any advantage of plugging my 4K amazon Fire Stick into the HDMI input of this unit rather than directly to an input of my receiver (Marantz SR7011)?

I really would want to read this whole thread but that will take some serious time given it's size.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
post #38171 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Anyone using the forced Dolby Vision for all Blu-rays (4k HDR10 and standard HD ones)? I generally like it but have found the whites to be overblown in spots. Do other modern players offer this option? I can't seem to find much discussion on the pros/cons of this feature. Thanks!
post #38172 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help, it is true, the HDMI port was not set for HDR, I did it and I improved the image in the Oppo reproduction, but still the colors of the sony player are more vivid.

Somebody would give me a tip to set a color enhancement with HDR in OPPO, as you can see the disc is Disney's Alladin and the format is HDR10.

Greetings and thanks for the tips
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo203 VS Sony 6700_Compare 01.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2702490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo203 VS Sony 6700_Compare 02.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2702492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo203 VS Sony 6700_Compare 03.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2702494  
post #38173 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Thanks for the help, it is true, the HDMI port was not set for HDR, I did it and I improved the image in the Oppo reproduction, but still the colors of the sony player are more vivid.
When testing. Are you using the same HDMI input port on your TV for both players? And have you disabled each players 'post-processing' features?
galonzo likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #38174 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoa1a View Post

Would there be any advantage of plugging my 4K amazon Fire Stick into the HDMI input of this unit rather than directly to an input of my receiver (Marantz SR7011)?

I really would want to read this whole thread but that will take some serious time given it's size.

I think so. It does allow you to then use the video optimizer settings. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Anyone using this?
post #38175 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5742 Post(s)
Liked: 4111
Quote:

Somebody would give me a tip to set a color enhancement with HDR in OPPO, as you can see the disc is Disney's Alladin and the format is HDR10.

Greetings and thanks for the tips
Joe
In the OPPO's setting, try changing output resolution to source direct instead of auto. If if looks the same, change back to Auto. Next, change color space from auto to 4:2:2. if it doesn't look any different, change to 4:4:4. See if any of those changes makes a difference.
post #38176 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
When testing. Are you using the same HDMI input port on your TV for both players? And have you disabled each players 'post-processing' features?
The tests are made with the default without tuning, with the bluray players in different hdmi ports, sony in standard and Oppo in improved HDR.
post #38177 of 38231 Old 03-27-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
In the OPPO's setting, try changing output resolution to source direct instead of auto. If if looks the same, change back to Auto. Next, change color space from auto to 4:2:2. if it doesn't look any different, change to 4:4:4. See if any of those changes makes a difference.
Thanks for the info, this settingss I wanted to test with the experience of others.

I know I can also make image corrections like hue, saturation, brightness and shapness, but first I want to see a more general configuration like the one you recommend.
post #38178 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
203 won’t play certain 4k UHDs

Reset 203 and finally was able to see Midway 4k. Previously only got audio and no video. Happens again now with 1917 4k. Did a reset again thinking this would fix issue as with Midway but still only audio and no video. Ordered 2 new Crutchfield certified HDMI cables and will swap current to new cables next week. Blu-rays play fine as well as tried several current 4ks I have and they play fine. Any ideas, suggestions? Thank you! My 203 is connected directly into my Denon 4200w. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when Midway UHD was released. Using LG C8 65.
post #38179 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4020 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerljj1 View Post
Reset 203 and finally was able to see Midway 4k. Previously only got audio and no video. Happens again now with 1917 4k. Did a reset again thinking this would fix issue as with Midway but still only audio and no video. Ordered 2 new Crutchfield certified HDMI cables and will swap current to new cables next week. Blu-rays play fine as well as tried several current 4ks I have and they play fine. Any ideas, suggestions? Thank you! My 203 is connected directly into my Denon 4200w. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago when Midway UHD was released. Using LG C8 65.
Loss of video or audio is generally the result of a failed HDMI HDCP handshake. Replacing cables is a good first step.
galonzo and vavan like this.
post #38180 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I saw Midway 4k Bluray disc last week with no problems, as well as Ford vs Ferrari, The Joker, Abominable, Frozen II, Terminator Dark Fate, Maleficent, Mistress of Evil, and I had no problems with my Oppo 203 player.

I have had no problems except for some occasional freezing despite the fact that I do NOT have the latest firmware, but rather the previous UDP20X-60-0625, since I do not dare to download the latest version due to the problems reported here, the only difference with your case is that I have the Oppo connected directly, without going through my Onkyo.
post #38181 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Assuming that you have at least one extra HDMI cable now, try using the split AV ports on the 203, and feed the video directly to the LG via one of its HDR ports, and connect the audio-only port to your Denon. If you can get consistent video with that setup, you will at least know that you don't have a physical hardware problem with the 203. Then you will know that it is something else, e.g. a cable issue, or even some intermittent issue with the Denon. I assume that the Denon's firmware is fully up to date, at this point? Anyway, just another troubleshooting idea...
galonzo likes this.
post #38182 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 PM

Thank you all. Good to know others aren’t having same problems I am. Thank you for the ideas; hadn’t thought about separating into 2, will try when new cables arrive! What I don’t understand is why some play and the 2 recent I just bought (Midway n 1917) had problems. Reset again and this time I was able to see 1917. On another note, was expecting more from 1917 after the hype.
post #38183 of 38231 Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Thank you all. Good to know others aren’t having same problems I am. Thank you for the ideas; hadn’t thought about separating into 2, will try when new cables arrive! What I don’t understand is why some play and the 2 recent I just bought (Midway n 1917) had problems. Reset again and this time I was able to see 1917. On another note, was expecting more from 1917 after the hype.
1917 certainly didn't live up to the hype, but I did think that the atmos mix was pretty good.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #38184 of 38231 Old 03-29-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
1917 certainly didn't live up to the hype, but I did think that the atmos mix was pretty good.
Agree. Have a 7.1.2 system w PSA 15in sub. Sound was amazing but thought movie was slow.
SimpleTheater and pappaduke like this.
post #38185 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Bump. Any thoughts on what the preferred input would be for 4K fire stick (Oppo vs receiver)?
post #38186 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
Quote:
Bump. Any thoughts on what the preferred input would be for 4K fire stick (Oppo vs receiver)?
What are you trying to achieve by connecting it to the HDMI input on the Oppo? IMHO, it makes more sense to connect it to your receiver unless there's a specific reason that you need to send it through the Oppo.
galonzo likes this.
post #38187 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
In addition to gsr’s question, I have a different thought. I value the capabilities of my 103 and 203, and both are configured with region-free kits (which I definitely utilize with both DVD and BR content). Every electronic “thing” has some limited life. (And “real soon now”, these will no longer be serviceable.) If I am power cycling my OPPOs, and/or keeping them powered on for extend periods of time, I definitely want it to be for the purpose of utilizing the capabilities that I don’t have available from any other place. Attaching a fire stick to the OPPO (which you might likely operate in Source Direct mode anyway), just seems like a way to unnecessarily “suck more life” out of it. If your receiver has unused HDMI ports, I’d definitely be using those, instead of using the port on the OPPO. I realize that maybe this is an overly pessimistic way to view the situation, but I really don’t relish the day when I have to figure out how to replace my current functionality, with some other media player. All FWIW.
post #38188 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
@robertoa1a , FWIW, I only connect my primary streamer through my Oppo 203 for the extended info display of the incoming signal, which is slightly more detailed than my AVR's extended info.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield | PS4 Pro | Roku P+ (4630)
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Heat (1995) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #38189 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I may have asked this in the past, not sure, but if I want to play some SACD's , Ive always had my Oppo connected via hdmi to my receiver. Should I connect the analog cables to an input on my receiver? and then how can I control what goes out blurays vs sacd audio?
Or is this not worth it, leaving the hdmi is completely fine?
Receiver is a pioneer SC-LX701
thanks
post #38190 of 38231 Old 04-02-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
I may have asked this in the past, not sure, but if I want to play some SACD's , Ive always had my Oppo connected via hdmi to my receiver. Should I connect the analog cables to an input on my receiver?
Both output types work fine and technically should sound much the same, if the OPPO has been set to transcode DSD to PCM internally.

The only advantage of using the HDMI transport is if your AVR offers on-board DSD bit-stream decoding. Then you can set the OPPO to pass an DSD bit-steam directly to your AVR.
galonzo and skads_187 like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page