Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 1286 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280263Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #38551 of 38598 Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 22,072
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4061 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Apologies if this has already been answered. I did try searching and could not find anything. I have an LG C9 and this oppo player. Under HDR setting - Dolby Vision Processing - should I select TV Led or Player LED to get the best dolby vision picture?
Best to leave everything at "auto".
galonzo likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38552 of 38598 Old 05-21-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,819
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5780 Post(s)
Liked: 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Best to leave everything at "auto".
I don't know if the old advice for my E6 applies to the newer OLEDs, but I was told to set it at TV-led instead of Auto for LG tv's. Oppo recommended that.
wxman is offline  
post #38553 of 38598 Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 22,072
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4061 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't know if the old advice for my E6 applies to the newer OLEDs, but I was told to set it at TV-led instead of Auto for LG tv's. Oppo recommended that.
That only applies to the 6 series.
wxman likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38554 of 38598 Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
mc_avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I don't know if the old advice for my E6 applies to the newer OLEDs, but I was told to set it at TV-led instead of Auto for LG tv's. Oppo recommended that.
Pretty sure Sony are the only TV's that the Oppo needs to be set for "Player Led", all others are "Auto" or "TV Led".
naustin likes this.

Theatre - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, Klipsch R820F Fronts, Klipsch R-52C Centre, Klipsch R-51 Surrounds, Klipsch R-100SW Sub x2, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite.
mc_avs is offline  
post #38555 of 38598 Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 15,571
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 2299
Not permitted outside of the classifieds. Please take conversation to pm.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #38556 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Apologies if this has already been answered. I did try searching and could not find anything. I have an LG C9 and this oppo player. Under HDR setting - Dolby Vision Processing - should I select TV Led or Player LED to get the best dolby vision picture?
When using the UDP-203/5 with the C9 you need to select "TV Led." Choosing "Auto" or "Player LED" will result in artifacts in Dolby Vision. Stacey Spears alerted me to this when I reported some artifacts I was seeing in the Dolby Vision demo on the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disc. Please see the linked post for what I reported and his response. The artifacts are subtle enough that those reporting "Auto" works for everything but the 6 series probably aren't noticing them. (Using the wrong setting does not result in a pink and/or green screen disaster, just some subtle artifacts that shouldn't be there.)
akadennis and galonzo like this.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 05-22-2020 at 12:45 AM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38557 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
When using the UDP-203/5 with the C9 you need to select "TV Led." Choosing "Auto" or "Player LED" will result in artifacts in Dolby Vision. Stacey Spears alerted me to this when I reported some artifacts I was seeing in the Dolby Vision demo on the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disc. Please see the linked post for what I reported and his response. The artifacts are subtle enough that those reporting "Auto" works for everything but the 6 series probably aren't noticing them. (It's not a pink and/or green screen disaster.)
thank you, i thought this was the correct setting just wanted confirmation.
KC-Technerd likes this.

LG OLED77C9 / LG OLED65C9 / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
akadennis is offline  
post #38558 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 05:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Do the recommended settings for the oppo 203 and LG E6 still apply to the newer LG oleds.

I have recently got a LG CX, I'm actually using source direct with the other settings on Auto, but just wondered what C9 or CX owners are using.

I had the DV processing on Auto so thanks for the above info, I will change that to TV led.


Thanks
gunner842 is offline  
post #38559 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Pretty sure Sony are the only TV's that the Oppo needs to be set for "Player Led", all others are "Auto" or "TV Led".
The LG 6-series OLEDs will not always ID properly on auto so for them TV-led is recommended to prevent issues of the player mistakenly choosing Player-led, it's the one exception.
mc_avs likes this.
dianebrat is online now  
post #38560 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
thank you, i thought this was the correct setting just wanted confirmation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I had the DV processing on Auto so thanks for the above info, I will change that to TV led.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The LG 6-series OLEDs will not always ID properly on auto so for them TV-led is recommended to prevent issues of the player mistakenly choosing Player-led, it's the one exception.
I just tested this again, and the artifacts I previously experienced when using "Auto" and "Player Led" appear to be gone. Since the software for the UPD-203 (UDP20X-65-0131) has not changed, this must be a result of one of the software updates for the LG 9 series OLEDs. I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected, but that my C9 is now handling Player Led DV input without the previous artifacts (rippling brightness bands on the fade-in of the S&M UHD HDR Benchmark Dolby Vision Demo Material).

I don't think you can go wrong with "TV Led" DV processing selected from the Oppo into an LG OLED. However it also appears now that (with the latest software for the LGs) "Auto" and "Player Led" may have acceptable results. I will try to test after it gets dark to be certain that "Auto" and "Player Led" do not result in raised black levels on Dolby Vision as occurs when 9 series (and some other LG OLEDs) get Dolby Vision from an AppleTV 4k.
akadennis, galonzo and gunner842 like this.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38561 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I just tested this again, and the artifacts I previously experienced when using "Auto" and "Player Led" appear to be gone. Since the software for the UPD-203 (UDP20X-65-0131) has not changed, this must be a result of one of the software updates for the LG 9 series OLEDs. I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected, but that my C9 is now handling Player Led DV input without the previous artifacts (rippling brightness bands on the fade-in of the S&M UHD HDR Benchmark Dolby Vision Demo Material).

I don't think you can go wrong with "TV Led" DV processing selected from the Oppo into an LG OLED. However it also appears now that (with the latest software for the LGs) "Auto" and "Player Led" may have acceptable results. I will try to test after it gets dark to be certain that "Auto" and "Player Led" do not result in raised black levels on Dolby Vision as occurs when 9 series (and some other LG OLEDs) get Dolby Vision from an AppleTV 4k.


I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected

With LG OLED, setting the Oppo to Auto should result in TV-led, not player-led. Only with Sony TVs should Auto result in player-led.

7-series and newer should also accept Player-led if set manually.
galonzo likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti

Last edited by claw; 05-22-2020 at 08:50 AM.
claw is offline  
post #38562 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I just tested this again, and the artifacts I previously experienced when using "Auto" and "Player Led" appear to be gone. Since the software for the UPD-203 (UDP20X-65-0131) has not changed, this must be a result of one of the software updates for the LG 9 series OLEDs. I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected, but that my C9 is now handling Player Led DV input without the previous artifacts (rippling brightness bands on the fade-in of the S&M UHD HDR Benchmark Dolby Vision Demo Material).

I don't think you can go wrong with "TV Led" DV processing selected from the Oppo into an LG OLED. However it also appears now that (with the latest software for the LGs) "Auto" and "Player Led" may have acceptable results. I will try to test after it gets dark to be certain that "Auto" and "Player Led" do not result in raised black levels on Dolby Vision as occurs when 9 series (and some other LG OLEDs) get Dolby Vision from an AppleTV 4k.
thanks again, anxiously awaiting your testing results

LG OLED77C9 / LG OLED65C9 / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
akadennis is offline  
post #38563 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected

With LG OLED, setting the Oppo to Auto should result in TV-led, not player-led. Only with Sony TVs should Auto result in player-led.
SHOULD, but very clearly DIDN'T in August 2019 (firmware UDP20X-65-0131), and confirmed by Stacey Spears (Spears & Munsil).
Quote:
Is the OPPO set to Auto, TV-led or Player-LED for Dolby Vision? The player defaults to Auto. The artifacts you describe should go away with DV in TV-led mode. Player-led, which Auto is using, will have the artifacts you describe due to a bug.

Since the Oppo firmware is still UDP20X-65-0131, I would expect the behavior to remain the same. Oppo hasn't updated the firmware since February 2019.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38564 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected
Let me just repeat this since it keeps getting glossed over, it's only the LG x6 series that occasionally ID's itself as able to accept player-LED which the 203 then sends it if set to Auto and that causes the issue.


No other LG series other than the x6 line ever has behaved this way, and the x6 units only occasionally do it, so it is not 100% repeatable, so in the x6 series LG OLED forcing the setting to TV-led is considered the proper setting.
dianebrat is online now  
post #38565 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 03:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Given that emby is a UPnP/DLNA file serving software its unable to parse entire file/folder-sets in the way 'full-disc' playback requires. Unfortunately, no UPnP/DLNA file serving software is able to offer such functionality - So please don't waste your time looking for one.

Only SMB and NFS file serving is able to parse entire file/folder-sets in the required way...


Cheers
Totally get that. I wasn't looking for a DLNA solution. Merely an IP control solution to select the file for me from a nicer interface. Even if it had to send commands at the level of "Go to the Home Screen, Left Arrow, Left Arrow, Enter, etc." it *could* be done. Just wondering if someone else has done it before I spend the time!
Matt Lathrop is offline  
post #38566 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Let me just repeat this since it keeps getting glossed over, it's only the LG x6 series that occasionally ID's itself as able to accept player-LED which the 203 then sends it if set to Auto and that causes the issue.


No other LG series other than the x6 line ever has behaved this way, and the x6 units only occasionally do it, so it is not 100% repeatable, so in the x6 series LG OLED forcing the setting to TV-led is considered the proper setting.
I'm not trying to gloss over what you're saying. I'm simply reporting the behavior of my UDP-203 with my LG C9. Whether what I consistently observed last August was the result of the C9 ID'ing itself over HDMI as accepting Player-LED, or the Oppo simply performing Player-LED processing when set to Auto regardless of how the C9 was identifying itself over HMDI is unclear. What was clear and consistent last August is that setting the Dolby Vision processing to "Auto" and "Player Led" resulted in identical, undesirable (but subtle) artifacts on Dolby Vision displayed on the C9. Setting the UDP-203 to "TV Led" was the only way to eliminate them.

Again, I refer you to what Stacey Spears stated specifically in response to the artifacts I observed, since you seem to be glossing over that. The quote is linked so you can click on it to see it in context, and review the related discussion. As he stated, the artifacts went away with the Oppo set to TV Led. They remained identically present in both Auto and Player Led.

I welcome any evidence or supporting observation of what you claim. There may be another explanation here that we're both missing.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 05-22-2020 at 05:35 PM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38567 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I welcome any evidence or supporting observation of what you claim. There may be another explanation here that we're both missing.
I had forgotten that the Auto Dolby Vision setting was broken in UDP20X-65-0131 in 2019. It will sometimes choose the wrong setting; Player Led instead of TV led for example.

For the LG 6-Series this was a problem since they don't support Player-led. For the newer LG models, you may have never noticed because they support both TV-led and Player-led.

Auto should be choosing TV-led for the LG 7-series and newer (it did in previous firmware versions) but it may be choosing Player-led because of the Auto setting bug that was introduced.

@Bob Pariseau described the Auto bug behavior after the release of the firmware.

I don't have my Oppo connected to my B7A any longer or I would try to confirm.
KC-Technerd and galonzo like this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti

Last edited by claw; 05-22-2020 at 07:30 PM.
claw is offline  
post #38568 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston'ish
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I'm not trying to gloss over what you're saying. I'm simply reporting the behavior of my UDP-203 with my LG C9. Whether what I consistently observed last August was the result of the C9 ID'ing itself over HDMI as accepting Player-LED, or the Oppo simply performing Player-LED processing when set to Auto regardless of how the C9 was identifying itself over HMDI is unclear. What was clear and consistent last August is that setting the Dolby Vision processing to "Auto" and "Player Led" resulted in identical, undesirable (but subtle) artifacts on Dolby Vision displayed on the C9. Setting the UDP-203 to "TV Led" was the only way to eliminate them.

Again, I refer you to what Stacey Spears stated specifically in response to the artifacts I observed, since you seem to be glossing over that. The quote is linked so you can click on it to see it in context, and review the related discussion.
As he stated, the artifacts went away with the Oppo set to TV Led. They remained identically present in both Auto and Player Led.

I welcome any evidence or supporting observation of what you claim. There may be another explanation here that we're both missing.
While it is true that the wrong setting can cause the issues, yours is the first report of an LG x9 series misidentifying in auto and switching to player-led, whereas it's very common in the x6 line.
galonzo likes this.
dianebrat is online now  
post #38569 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 PM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I just tested this again, and the artifacts I previously experienced when using "Auto" and "Player Led" appear to be gone. Since the software for the UPD-203 (UDP20X-65-0131) has not changed, this must be a result of one of the software updates for the LG 9 series OLEDs. I suspect this means that the UDP-203 is still performing Player Led processing when "Auto" is selected, but that my C9 is now handling Player Led DV input without the previous artifacts (rippling brightness bands on the fade-in of the S&M UHD HDR Benchmark Dolby Vision Demo Material).

I don't think you can go wrong with "TV Led" DV processing selected from the Oppo into an LG OLED. However it also appears now that (with the latest software for the LGs) "Auto" and "Player Led" may have acceptable results. I will try to test after it gets dark to be certain that "Auto" and "Player Led" do not result in raised black levels on Dolby Vision as occurs when 9 series (and some other LG OLEDs) get Dolby Vision from an AppleTV 4k.
Did you end up testing if both settings result in the raised blacks & do you recall if prior to the latest 65-0131 firmware resulted in the "Auto" setting always defaulting to Player-Led or was the OPPO firmware intelligent enough to apply the correct Player-Led or Tv-Led processing accordingly?
oniiz is offline  
post #38570 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I had forgotten that the Auto Dolby Vision setting was broken in UDP20X-65-0131 in 2019. It will sometimes choose the wrong setting; Player Led instead of TV led for example.

For the LG 6-Series this was a problem since they don't support Player-led. For the newer LG models, you may have never noticed because they support both TV-led and Player-led.

Auto should be choosing TV-led for the LG 7-series and newer (it did in previous firmware versions) but it may be choosing Player-led because of the Auto setting bug that was introduced.

@Bob Pariseau described the Auto bug behavior after the release of the firmware.

I don't have my Oppo connected to my B7A any longer or I would try to confirm.
Thanks! I thought I had remembered it being reported and discussed earlier in this thread. I think what happened is that the software on the C9 last fall also had a bug that resulted in some minor (and likely largely unnoticed) artifacting with Player Led Dolby Vision, which seems to have since been corrected. I just happened to notice it (on the 10,000 nit DV Spears & Munsil demo) and report it to Stacey Spears who was immediately aware of what the issue was. The problem Bob described with the Auto setting is certainly still present since the Oppo's firmware hasn't been updated, but probably not visually detectable since the latest 9 series software seems to be handling Player Led DV appropriately.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38571 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
Did you end up testing if both settings result in the raised blacks & do you recall if prior to the latest 65-0131 firmware resulted in the "Auto" setting always defaulting to Player-Led or was the OPPO firmware intelligent enough to apply the correct Player-Led or Tv-Led processing accordingly?
Not yet, and I'm not sure I'll get it finished tonight. I got distracted trying to help someone on another issue.

Oh, and everything I reported was with the 65-0131 firmware on the Oppo. As stated in the posts above, 65-0131 is the firmware with this issue. I'll see later if I can find the actual post where Bob Pariseau reported that. My encounter with it was many months after updating to 65-0131.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 05-22-2020 at 09:35 PM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38572 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
redsandvb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: HI
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lathrop View Post
Has anyone found something (or made something) to enable a media browsing software (think a plex or kodi like interface) to IP control an Oppo 203. I want to be able to find a movie I want to watch in the interface and then it just opens and plays the file on the Oppo across the network (say from a SMB share)? The Oppo iphone app can do something similar (though it's super buggy) so I would imagine this is possible. If no one knows of any existing things does anyone with coding ability want to work on it with me (I'm a software engineer)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lathrop View Post
Totally get that. I wasn't looking for a DLNA solution. Merely an IP control solution to select the file for me from a nicer interface. Even if it had to send commands at the level of "Go to the Home Screen, Left Arrow, Left Arrow, Enter, etc." it *could* be done. Just wondering if someone else has done it before I spend the time!
Sorry, I don't have any coding ability or know of anything other than the Oppo Android/iOS apps but count me interested in following your progress. Please update us along your quest.
redsandvb is offline  
post #38573 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
Did you end up testing if both settings result in the raised blacks & do you recall if prior to the latest 65-0131 firmware resulted in the "Auto" setting always defaulting to Player-Led or was the OPPO firmware intelligent enough to apply the correct Player-Led or Tv-Led processing accordingly?
No raised blacks with either Player Led or TV Led processing. I can confirm however that my Oppo UDP-203, firmware 65-0131, is still performing Player Led processing when the DV processing is set to Auto, connected to my LG C9. This is because the difference between Player Led and TV Led is still clearly obvious in Diversified Video Solutions (Ryan Masciola's) Dolby Vision Black Clipping patterns. The behavior between Player Led and Auto remains identical, while TV Led has different results. The actual effect on the Black Clipping pattern changes depending on whether the picture mode being used on the C9 is using the factory or custom (calibrated) Dolby Vision configuration file, so I'm not going to go into all those details here. Regardless of factory or custom, Player Led and Auto remain identical to each other, and TV Led remains different.

At this point, I doubt using Auto or Player Led will create any serious or even noticeable picture issues, but for the best performance I will continue to recommend setting DV processing to TV Led when used with any LG OLED. I'm not certain if this is the result of the Oppo always defaulting to Player Led when set to Auto, or my C9 always asking for Player Led. Based on what Stacey Spears stated, I believe the issue lies with the UDP-203 (and its current and likely final firmware).
oniiz likes this.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38574 of 38598 Old 05-22-2020, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Here's where I found it previously reported in this thread, and it was only reported for the C6 as far as I can find. I do believe it is correct that almost no one was recognizing that the UDP-203 set to Auto was still feeding 7, 8 and 9 series OLEDs Player Led DV, because it didn't result in any hugely obvious issues like it did with the C6. It only resulted in subtle ones that mostly went unnoticed, and varied between software updates on the LG OLEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
There is still a bug in the 0131 production firmware that causes my C6 to not work with Auto setting on DV processing. I must manually set to TV-led. The beta FW did not work at all, even if I manually set to TV-led manually. Oppo sent me a FW which is based on 0131 which corrects the Auto setting to work again.

---------------
Edit: I originally said player-led but meant TV-led.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38575 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So just to clear things up.

If you own a LG series 6 oled = TV Led

Any newer LG oled series 7 and up = Auto


Is this correct?
gunner842 is offline  
post #38576 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,689
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
So just to clear things up.

If you own a LG series 6 oled = TV Led

Any newer LG oled series 7 and up = Auto


Is this correct?
Put simply... Yes.

The Dolby Vision implementation functions much the same on all 2016 LG televisions, OLED and LED. Which are also limited to supporting Dolby Vision encoded video up-to a maximum of 30.000fps.


Cheers
galonzo and gunner842 like this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #38577 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiorgos759 View Post
About that i have not been able to play pgs embedded into mkvs for a while. They were playing at some point but not anymore. Does it matter if the mkv contains srt subs as well? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
I'm also finding that my 203 is not showing subtitles on some MKVs, not sure what the common factor is there.
I also have an MKV with only PGS subtitles that will work & most of my files with both PGS & SRT that will not recognise the PGS subtitle streams, strange how it seems to be so wildly inconsistent, SRT works all the time PGS not so much.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Watchmen 2009.mkv.txt (16.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: txt Red Heat 1988.mkv.txt (16.0 KB, 6 views)
oniiz is offline  
post #38578 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
So just to clear things up.

If you own a LG series 6 oled = TV Led

Any newer LG oled series 7 and up = Auto


Is this correct?
With LG OLED series 7 and up, the Auto selection WILL consistently result in the Oppo performing Player Led processing. At least this is verifiably the case on the series 9. (I can run through the whole procedure and test patterns needed if anyone wants to test this.) If you want TV Led processing you need to explicitly select it in the Oppo menu.

The difference is that with series 6 Player Led processing results in very obvious problems. With series 7 and up you probably won't be able to tell the difference between TV Led and Player Led processing, at least not without considerable scrutiny and comparison. I still think that with LG OLEDs that TV Led DV processing is preferable, because with previous software LG OLEDs did have some noticeable artifacting with Player Led processing from the UDP-203. TV Led processing won't happen with the UDP-203 set to Auto DV processing (unless you have the correcting firmware that Oppo apparently sent to a few individuals, but was never made publicly available).

Again, Stacey Spears was fully aware of this several months ago, but some here don't seem to want to believe what he said, and what I'm saying about it.

My recommendation: All LG OLEDs (regardless of series) = TV Led

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 05-23-2020 at 08:28 AM.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #38579 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

My recommendation: All LG OLEDs (regardless of series) = TV Led
I agree. It is better to set it to TV led than to hope the broken Auto setting is doing the right thing.
KC-Technerd and galonzo like this.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
claw is offline  
post #38580 of 38598 Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
With LG OLED series 7 and up, the Auto selection WILL consistently result in the Oppo performing Player Led processing. At least this is verifiably the case on the series 9. (I can run through the whole procedure and test patterns needed if anyone wants to test this.) If you want TV Led processing you need to explicitly select it in the Oppo menu.

The difference is that with series 6 Player Led processing results in very obvious problems. With series 7 and up you probably won't be able to tell the difference between TV Led and Player Led processing, at least not without considerable scrutiny and comparison. I still think that with LG OLEDs that TV Led DV processing is preferable, because with previous software LG OLEDs did have some noticeable artifacting with Player Led processing from the UDP-203. TV Led processing won't happen with the UDP-203 set to Auto DV processing (unless you have the correcting firmware that Oppo apparently sent to a few individuals, but was never made publicly available).

Again, Stacey Spears was fully aware of this several months ago, but some here don't seem to want to believe what he said, and what I'm saying about it.

My recommendation: All LG OLEDs (regardless of series) = TV Led
Thanks, I will change to TV Led then for my CX.

I take it using source direct setting on 203 doesn’t have any effect on this DV setting?
gunner842 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off