Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279171Likes

post #5641 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
StanGeek:
"I am reasonably sure the 940C is not the problem, although I have not ran the HDMI cable directly to the 940C to bypass the SC-95"
I have an SC-95 hooked up to the 203 using the BD input on the Pioneer. I have the 4:4:4 pass- through feature enabled and I'm using Monoprice premium certified cables. I have no problem getting discs to play. UHD, Blu-ray, or DVD. The only thing I can't get is HDR because my Vizio TV isn't capable. I think you are just missing one little tweak to make everything work like it should. Don't give up!
I did get the 203 to be pretty stable as far as the playback settings, but the fact it will not recognize a commercial disc that I have played before with no issues was not acceptable. It's hard enough to find the time to watch a movie. The last thing you want is to be left holding the remote with an unknown disc message and no movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post
For the record EVERY SINGLE DISC I HAVE PLAYED whether video or audio has exhibited faults in the Oppo. Yes every single one!
That experience certainly isn't the norm here, as anyone who's read this thread can see for themselves. I've had a glitch here and there on the 203, but the VAST majority of discs I've played in the unit have played without a hitch. Have you considered the possibility that you have a defective player? If EVERY SINGLE DISC you've popped in it has had a problem I'd say that probability is very high. Maybe you should contact Oppo and arrange an exchange or, as someone else suggested, go back to the Panasonic and just return the 203 for a refund if you feel so strongly that it's a POS.
time to do a bit of strolling through the posts.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-03-2017 at 07:23 AM.
post #5643 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Out of the blue oppo player wen turning on got sluggish .flicked few times disc draer would take forever to open and close remote wouldn't work on some commands. Is here a hard reset or something that may help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
I was simply referring to the statement you made that EVERY SINGLE DISC you've loaded into the 203 has had a problem. THAT is not the norm here. If I were in your shoes I'd send my 203 back for an exchange or refund. Simple.
bwillcox, leemathre and chili555 like this.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-03-2017 at 07:22 AM.
post #5645 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Useful data is always welcome, but people sometimes think this is OPPO's complaint department. It isn't.

We are all waiting for new firmware to appear. Until it does then posting the same complaints over and over helps no one and frustrates efforts to assist those we might actually be able to help now.

-Bill
I've read this thread daily and this post makes the most sense to me of all I've read lately. For whatever reason, I have no problems with my 203 unit. Every disc I've played, both UHD and BD have played flawlessly. I realize I'm in the minority. But this thread has turned into a complaint/vent your anger site against Oppo. Contact Oppo with your problems and return the unit if you can't wait for a fix. Enough of the Oppo-bashing. Start a thread where you post your complaints and editorializing on what Oppo should have done in that thread.
post #5646 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
If every disk hasn't played for you and your confident that you've set things up correctly then its a defective player. I have had a couple of "minor" glitches, nothing I've experienced has me giving up on the 203, plus given my history (not a fanboy, just buy av products I thinks are high quality) with Oppo I'm confident the player will get only better with time (for owners "better" will vary by experiences to-date).

No one is debating that the player needs some firmware updates to improve everyone's experience. Personally I think a lot of the problems have to do with set-up/equipment in-the-chain, even with a lowly 1080p display I had to replace an HDMI cable and then took the conservative route by bypassing my receiver for video. The beta testers (Bob, Bill and others) have helped a lot of folks with these types of issues and gotten some owners to a better place. Sorry that hasn't worked for you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to use as a player going forward, if you return the Oppo (which is what I would do) revisit this thread in a month or so to see how things have progressed.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff

Last edited by DrDon; 01-03-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Condescending remarks removed
post #5647 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr View Post
What do you mean by "unknown discs"? Disc incompatibility or maybe read laser failing? I still have Oppo 83 and it has played every single disc I have ever inserted in it. Oh sorry, not the 3D only disc of course. Maybe I have been very lucky with the discs and movies I've bought or rented. 83 was my primary player up till I got 203.
I have done a laser/drive cleaning that's not the issue. It's disc incompatibility. Mainly Mill Creek Double Feature discs are not working, probably coming out of the same factory. If it was laser failure I guess other studios would be affected as well. I don't have any issues with 'mainstream' movies.

Last edited by Rathbone; 01-03-2017 at 06:48 AM.
post #5648 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
I did get the 203 to be pretty stable as far as the playback settings, but the fact it will not recognize a commercial disc that I have played before with no issues was not acceptable. It's hard enough to find the time to watch a movie. The last thing you want is to be left holding the remote with an unknown disc message and no movie.
I've replaced my HDMI cables with AudioQuest Pearl cables. The handshaking issues have "gotten better", but are not completely gone.

I've ordered some MediaBridge Ultra, HDMI 2.0b compatible cables. They claim to be hand tested, and support 48 bit deep color and a whole host of other up-to-date HDMI requirements. Their price is significantly less than others cables that claim the same.

With the AudioQuest Pearl cables, the switching is "a little" faster, and the only problem that remains is when a movie starts, I get the blank screen others get, and after waiting 10 seconds I don't get a picture; I pause the movie, switch the input to SAT and then back to the Oppo and the movie image appears. From that point the movie plays fine all the way through.

I watched Independence Day Resurgence on the Oppo. *MUCH* better than the K8500; the image with the K8500 is so dark that it is almost unwatchable.

Hoping that the new cables will completely eliminate the handshaking issues.

As long as Oppo continues to improve the product with updates I am sure it will only get better.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #5649 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post
I've ordered some MediaBridge Ultra, HDMI 2.0b compatible cables. They claim to be hand tested, and support 48 bit deep color and a whole host of other up-to-date HDMI requirements. Their price is significantly less than others cables that claim the same.
As long as Oppo continues to improve the product with updates I am sure it will only get better.
I just did the same thing. And I agree with your last statement.
post #5650 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
This thread has also been very useful for a potential owner so that I can make the step well informed of issues.

I am holding fire right now but it has been and continues to be very useful to see issues.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #5651 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Keep us posted on how these cables work for you. I tried some SecurOMax cables this week that claimed to be fully 18 GHz capable but they did nothing to improve my situation. I am waiting for Monoprice to get 3' "Premium Certified" cables back in stock so I can try those. My installation requires a 15' run from my pre-pro to the display so I want the shortest runs possible to connect the 203 and Integral to my pre-pro. My guess is that using 6' cables to connect up all the gear sitting right together would just add to my problem.
post #5652 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Quote:
experiences aint bashing loads of ppl having issues with the oppo -didnt u notice
The player has played every single disc I have tried, including discs I burned 12 years ago, which are DVDs. It also played BD's I burned in 2010 (25Gb and 50Gb).

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #5653 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Per Blue Jeans cables if you are seeing any of the below it could be an indicator that you have a cable problem. And again folks just because your HDMI cable is sold as "high speed" or "4K ready" does not mean it will. Meeting the premium certified standard actually means something. Here are the symptoms:

Quote:
It remains the case under HDMI 2.0 as before that this isn't a subtle thing; if a cable is failing, you will see the failure manifested, in the great majority of cases, as one of the following, in order of severity:

(1) "Sparkles": individual dropped-out pixels, or
(2) "Line" dropouts where a whole line of video, or the rightward portion, drops out, or
(3) Intermittently flashing or jumping picture, indicating that so much picture data is being lost that the display is losing sync, or
(4) No picture.
If you are having some of these issues it is probably with a little extra time and money to purchase a premium certified cable and determine if it resolves some/all of your issues.
post #5654 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Audio question. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my 203 from AVS (no tax, no shipping and a little chrissy pres). At the moment, I have an old Sony CD changer hooked up to my 7702MkII via RCA (obviously I'm not an Audiophile). I believe I can use the HDMI 2 audio out on the 203 to connect to my Denon digitally for CD playback. I have a full Atmos 7.2.4 setup. What will be the difference?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #5655 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
perhaps my ears and eyes are more experienced then some, BUT many many others are have issues with the oppo- are we ALL beta testers now?
Yes some people are having issues, but I can't recall many people at all having issues with every single disc (4K, Blu-Ray, DVD, etc) they put in the player. I have played 17 movies now and had one lip sync issue but you better believe if every disc I put in the player had issues I would be doing an RMA via Oppo.
bwillcox and guss2 like this.
post #5656 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Can we move on please. This is becoming a bashing thread. Keep it constructive otherwise it severs little use.

I mean no disrespect to anyone. Tell us what's happening, not how you feel about it.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #5657 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If it helps anyone, I am now using Sewell Silverback S5 HDMI Cable, 50 ft. Cost me $45. I'm also using the 3ft version ($9.95) from the OPPO to my Yamaha 3060. Having NO ISSUES with HDMI connections.
ack_bk likes this.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #5658 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Dropping in to report that the last couple weeks with the 203 have been mostly uneventful and very happy with image quality. Have had no problems playing a handful of discs (BDs, SACDs, 1 UHDBD).

The reported problem of not seeing HDCP 1.4 projector through HDCP 2.2 receiver required me to wire up system differently then planned (receiver to HDMI-in on Oppo as only one HDMI to projector). This has side benefit of letting me use the video processing of Oppo which I believe improved the picture of TiVo Roamio that was previously outputting everything as 1080p.

I have used the HDMI-in A LOT (TV, Games, Vudu/netflix) and the only issue was a lipsync delay on 24hz content which was cured by sending 60hz.

So far I am content and expect Oppo to continually fix the open issues. Take the post for what it is worth, I don't consider myself a fanboy but love the options Oppo brings to the table for future 4k display/projector purchase. Previously used Panny BD10a then Sony S790 for blu-ray but prior to that an Oppo 981 for DVD.

Last edited by shoeboo; 01-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.
post #5659 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
If it helps anyone, I am now using Sewell Silverback S5 HDMI Cable, 50 ft. Cost me $45. I'm also using the 3ft version ($9.95) from the OPPO to my Yamaha 3060. Having NO ISSUES with HDMI connections.
Thanks for posting that experience. I know I keep beating the HDMI drum, and I know it won't solve every issue, and I clearly think there are real issues with the 203 for some people, but when I read about many of the issues people post many of them sound like it could be an HDMI cable issue. When you go back and look at some of the real world testing that has been done (and we have evidence that very expensive ($100+) high speed cables fail 4K high bandwidth testing when a $4 premium certified cable passes), well, it goes to show that a $4-20 cable may make or break your experience with 4K..
post #5660 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
I'm an OPPO owner, but my delivery has been delayed by the holidays. So do I have it in my possession? No. Will I possibly return it -- no way in hell. (Now if it should constantly fail and in working with OPPO, they suggest returning it, then yes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padalec View Post
Hello,

Please see below response from OPPO to my concern about a time frame of addressing issues reported on the UDP -203 player;

"We felt that the player was "market ready" but, one thing we have learned over the years is that once the product reaches the hands of customers, the real world has a way of showing warts which we previously did not see. So being able to communicate direct to the customer, rather than relying on second party information from our resale partners, is instrumental in improving the player in a competent and timely manner.

Best Regards,
OPPO stated that they would release in mid-Dec for direct customer purchase. They also stated that release to dealers would be delayed to about a month later. That sounds like and early-release program to me. You get it, OPPO deals with issues. If you wait for the dealer to be your interface, you get more reliability. So for any to claim they were not told this was early release -- that is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
As has been stated many times, the Panasonic UBD900 was available in the UK many, many months before North America, i followed the UK AV forum and it did have bugs and still in my opinion has quirks, one particular Atmos bug needed a rush release firmware because it was effecting all titles with Atmos...!.
The fact you haven't noticed the bugs is that it had already been mass Beta tested in the UK and had had at least 3 firmware updates before the rest of the world got to experience it.
You got the Oppo on release, as Oppo as stated they can not possibly test all permutations of hardware and software and the Christmas holiday period has slowed down the fixing of some of those bugs, you should have known there would be bugs on release, you could have waited.
He's just saying that Panasonic did the same thing as OPPO, but in a different way.

Thanks for those who have said they had no or only minor issues with their early release OPPO. (To say nothing of the large number who have not reported that theirs is fine.) Thanks to those who reported bugs and problems. But why do we have to read about the same problem by the same people over and over? It's counter-productive. They appear to want to convince us all (and from posts made, clearly have convinced some) that the OPPO is not a good product. Else why say the same things in the same words like we couldn't have already seen that. If it's bad, report here and work with OPPO and return it if you aren't happy. Only masochists want to stay miserable.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #5661 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
That's, umm, bizarre! I've got no explanation for you. Is it repeatable? If you play the disc again with 4K output do you get the same result?

If so, I'd definitely suggest you email OPPO Tech Support with the details. If possible, include the Bar Code number from the disc packaging (the full set of tiny numbers under the bars).

--------------------------------------

Actually I do have a suggestion for you: Go into Setup > Video Output Settings > Picture Adjustments and make sure they are all still set at the Factory Default (0) values.

If they are not, is it possible you fiddled with them yourself? If you are certain that's not the case, go check your other settings in Setup and see if any other unexpected changes show up. If you find other unexpected changes, definitely get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. Your Settings memory may have failed. They will likely want to swap out your player.

(Source Direct bypasses the Picture Adjustments.)
--Bob
This statement caught my eye. Could you please elaborate on what might cause the settings memory to fail? I assume this would be an extremely rare occurrence but would like to learn more.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #5662 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post
Does anyone hear any noise from their 203, with a disc in mine sounds like there's a fan going inside it on UHD discs and it's actually quite loud. Blurays don't seem as bad, watched the start of Star Trek Beyond earlier and in quiet scenes I could clearly hear the player from my sofa 7ft away , is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes, the disc whirling definitely can get loud. There are people who claim they can't hear it and I think they are the reason movie theaters crank the volume until your ears bleed. I'm not exactly a spring chicken but yes it is relatively loud if you aren't playing anything to mask the sound. You can try cleaning the disc but I doubt that is the issue. When I'm streaming I remove the disc because for whatever reason it spins it even when zipping around in the menu with nothing playing.
zAndy12 likes this.
post #5663 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshoe54 View Post
Keep us posted on how these cables work for you. I tried some SecurOMax cables this week that claimed to be fully 18 GHz capable but they did nothing to improve my situation. I am waiting for Monoprice to get 3' "Premium Certified" cables back in stock so I can try those. My installation requires a 15' run from my pre-pro to the display so I want the shortest runs possible to connect the 203 and Integral to my pre-pro. My guess is that using 6' cables to connect up all the gear sitting right together would just add to my problem.
Will do
post #5664 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
I've replaced my HDMI cables with AudioQuest Pearl cables. The handshaking issues have "gotten better", but are not completely gone.

With the AudioQuest Pearl cables, the switching is "a little" faster, and the only problem that remains is when a movie starts, I get the blank screen others get, and after waiting 10 seconds I don't get a picture; I pause the movie, switch the input to SAT and then back to the Oppo and the movie image appears. From that point the movie plays fine all the way through.

I watched Independence Day Resurgence on the Oppo. *MUCH* better than the K8500; the image with the K8500 is so dark that it is almost unwatchable.

On the less expensive side, I have no issues (blanking, sparkles, lines, or flashing) the using 15-foot MonoPrice certified cables to the LG B6. The Monoprice active HDMI 18gbs cables were unreliable.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #5665 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I'm an OPPO owner, but my delivery has been delayed by the holidays. So do I have it in my possession? No. Will I possibly return it -- no way in hell. (Now if it should constantly fail and in working with OPPO, they suggest returning it, then yes.)
+1

I put in a very early pre-order with AV Science and expect to have the 203 in my hands next week.

I have also been following this thread from the beginning and--other than taking two days off during the holidays--have read every single word of every post (can you spell OCD?). So I am aware of all the reported problems, but I believe they will turn out to be either fixable or inconsequential for my purposes. I intentionally passed on all the predecessor UHD BDP's in anticipation of the Oppo and I'm very much looking forward to my new toy.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #5666 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 4344
More bickering removed. If it continues, I will have to ban members from the site until I can sort it out. Working from my phone, today.
post #5667 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It appears I get to report a new bug(oh boy!). I am a big fan of TV on disc. I don't pay for cable ever and spend that money on TV discs instead. I started this before streaming went mainstream and the term "bing watching" hadn't even been coined yet. The following data was sent to Oppo customer service over the weekend.

*"I have had issues with several DVD's audio track. The DVD's in question are from television shows only. The audio in the start up menus play properly but once you select an episode to play the volume cuts out. The audio data is there in the info screen but no sound comes out. I have found a work around to make the audio work but is a step I would like to remove. Once an episode is playing you can press the options button on the remote and scroll down to the A/V Sync option. Just choosing that option and making the sync slider appear on screen makes the audio work properly. No need to adjust the sync at all. Just hit return and the options disappear and the sound is fine. I have tried this on many shows and just a few have the issue.

The following shows had audio issues. Some shows had issues on some seasons but no issues on other seasons.
Castle - seasons 7 & 8, Babylon 5 - seasons 3 & 4, The Big Bang Theory - seasons 7 & 8, Fairly Legal - season 1, Elementary - season 3, Grey's Anatomy - season 7, The Mentalist - season 6.

The following shows had NO issues. This might help narrow down a manufacturer.
The Big Bang Theory - season 1 & 2, Grey's Anatomy - season 1 & 2, The Mentalist - season 1, Stargate SG-1 - season 1, Dexter - season 1. Home Improvement - season 2, White Collar - season 1, Leverage - season 1, Bones - season 2, NCIS - season 1, Chuck - season 1, Rizzoli & Isles - season 1.

I have over 400 seasons of TV on DVD and don't have time to test all of them.

I have had NO issues with TV on Blu-ray. I tested Star Trek: TNG - season 1, Firefly - season 1(& only , bummer!), True Blood - season 1, Gotham - season 1 & 2, Game of Thrones - season 6. These take a while to check so I won't try to test the 150 seasons I have on Blu-ray.

My system is as follows.
UDP-203, Denon AVR-X1200W, Vizio M65-C1, Monoprice premium certified high speed HDMI cables."*

Oppo replied with
"We have logged your orders and will work on having the issues replicated in-house and resolved through future firmware releases.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc."
post #5668 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvad4 View Post
I'm surprised that you're surprised.

4K television. 4K content. Makes sense to me.
See what you're saying there, but those methods don't get the most out of your TV. Streaming isn't quite up to par, and regular Blu-ray is only HD (as opposed to UHD) .

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Panasonic 820 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite UPS Backup / Furman Conditioner / App and Tap controlled Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #5669 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I went to play a DVD (new movie release but not on Blu-ray for US release) and had black bars on both edges and any overlays like volume up/down looked tiny.

Is this a setting I need to change any time I play a DVD or is there an automatic setting in the Oppo that will take care of this depending on what disc is put in?

I could just trial and error I suppose but was hoping someone had a ready answer.

Blu-rays and UHD discs have played perfectly so far although I had to change the display setting to Source Direct when I first hooked it up as I only got a black screen with Auto. That's the only glitch other than the DVD issue I have seen on this otherwise excellent player.
richlife likes this.

Spoiler!
post #5670 of 37249 Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimpete View Post
I went to play a DVD (new movie release but not on Blu-ray for US release) and had black bars on both edges and any overlays like volume up/down looked tiny.

Is this a setting I need to change any time I play a DVD or is there an automatic setting in the Oppo that will take care of this depending on what disc is put in?

I could just trial and error I suppose but was hoping someone had a ready answer.

Blu-rays and UHD discs have played perfectly so far although I had to change the display setting to Source Direct when I first hooked it up as I only got a black screen with Auto. That's the only glitch other than the DVD issue I have seen on this otherwise excellent player.
Is the movie a recent release or an older movie just put out on DVD? Sometimes the format is not "enhanced for wide screen viewing" a.k.a., non-anamorphic like my True Lies DVD(gggrrr!). You get the tiny picture in the center of black bars on top and sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page