Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278696Likes

post #6661 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Lol you consider a failed $4 HDMI cable a major issue and want a longer return window??

Seriously? Just return the player now I doubt it will ever be able to meet your expectations.
I guess you dont consider multiple issues during a 30 day return window reason enough to actually communicate with a manufacturer and ask them for a grace period before you decide to give up on their product.. but you know what? I do.

Why you would even post your comment I am not sure, but its borderline disrespectful.
gwsat likes this.

Video: 75X940E/60E8000 Plasma (Formerly; 78JS9500/58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500) BD Player: OPPO UDP-203
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad701xx View Post
The pixels looks the same size to me when zoomed in, as they should since they are both the same TV. The difference is in one the LG is doing the upscaling itself, in the other the Oppo is doing the upscaling.

Dave
I see what you mean now. I have attached screen shots before and after so you can also see that the before zoom has pixels on the Oppo that are much smaller too. The first one is max zoom, and the 2nd one is as you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo vs LG zoomed.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	1881233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo vs LG.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	1881241  
panasonicst60 likes this.
post #6663 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Forgive my ignorance, but...

Given that many of us have HDMI cables that may or may not be adequate for 4K signals, it would be nice if we had a reliable way of testing them. Since the OPPO has the ability to display the bitrate of signal going through it, what about using that plus the TV display, to test HDMI cables for adequate bandwidth?

Unfortunately, my UHD Blu-Ray disks (all two of them so far!) have wildly varying bit rates. Is there a free (or very cheap) test signal available with a consistent high bitrate that could be downloaded onto a flash drive or disk, then run through the OPPO to see whether a given HDMI cable is up to snuff?

Just asking. Thanks

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6664 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
When running SDR BT2020 should it show HDR in the JVC info screen? I'm thinking no but want to make sure.
You are thinking correctly.

It is interesting that with the beta firmware on the Oppo, I am not seeing the old lit up "deep color" note on the JVC RS500 info screen. It is, instead, grayed out, when running in rec2020, meta-data-stripped mode. Note that "grayed out" on the JVC doesn't necessarily mean "not present". For example, when HDR is not present, the words are literally not displayed at all -- not just grayed out.

This is different from what the JVC displayed on the old production Oppo firmware, where the color info on the JVC info screen used to have a highlighted color info entry. (My memory is bad but I want to say it indicated 12 bit deep color. I could be remembering wrong.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
All I got was a white screen when I tried "Stip Metadata" for the first time after the beta firmware update... Did you have to reboot the player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
As a reminder, and to everyone else too, be sure to clear the Persistent Storage in the player and do a reset to factory default settings after updating the firmware in the 203. This helps to clear any residual information left behind from old firmware revisions that can sometimes cause issues with functionality.
Yeah, I have had Oppo's for the life of the company, and installed many firmwares -- both beta and production ones -- over the years, and almost ALWAYS skipped the instruction to do a complete factory reset and delete all persistent data. And it never bit me in the butt UNTIL this beta with the 203. It is 100% necessary.

Really.

Do it.

Twice.

For good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
You'll want to check out the JVC owners thread for your projector. It sounds like what you are seeing is HDR being recognized by the projector. Gamma D is the setting JVC switches to for HDR. This will make the average brightness less. This is why some projector uses turn off HDR and use the strip metadata feature to still pass the wider color gamut and keep the image brighter. You may also need to load the BT2020 color profile into the JVC with their autocal software. Again, there is a lot of information in the JVC threads.

It does sound like what you saw with the samsung is normal and you will see it with the Oppo if you use HDR.
The Samsung had a few other issues when playing HDR into a JVC. One needs to adjust Gamma D on the JVC as JVC instructs on their web site for "all" HDR content. But with the Samsung player, it was also recommended to make some adjustments in the Samsung video output settings as well. I don't recall what those were now, since my Samsung is long gone, but they made a difference.

And yes, uploading the rec2020 profile is critical, whether watching default HDR UHD content or doing the strip meta data.

Most of us JVC owners aren't using SDR2020 to keep the image brighter. Rather, we are using it to keep the image darker! Well, in the sense that SDR2020 allows the dynamic iris and black level to go VERY dark when needed, whereas with HDR2020 the iris is stuck in one spot and typically requires a lot of light output -- meaning the black floor of the JVC is raised quite a bit. Might as well have a single chip DLP business class projector at that point (sarcasm!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Exactly what I did. Install FW, wipe player, powercycle again, and then it worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
For the group using the 203 with a JVC projector, do you still use gamma D if you strip Metadata? Likewise if you're using BT 2020 but not HDR am I correct in thinking that high lamp isn't necessary?
No, and yes. Just make sure you are using a rec2020 profile on the JVC. Every other setting on the JVC will be the same as when you watch blu ray (color temp, brightness and contrast, gamma, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
In addition to separate brightness and contrast controls (which I understand the Oppo already has), the key factor that makes the Panasonic great at HDR to SDR conversion is the inclusion of a "control slider" making it possible to tweak the conversion to suit the display. So that brings me to my point/question: With the latest beta firmware update, did Oppo include a "control" slider to allow for fine tuning the conversion? If not, does anyone know if Oppo is planning to add such controls?
All signs point to "yes" though getting gamma/EOTF mapping perfected at one point is their first order of business (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Gamma D is only for use with HDR.
Use the BT.2020 color profile and start with the rest of the settings the same as you use for REC709.
High Lamp is not needed. Set Iris to Auto after setting the iris to where it looks good to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Use a standard Gamma, BT2020 profile, and yep, low lamp should be fine, depending on screen size.
Very true. In fact, I would be super curious to hear is someone is NOT doing it this way? That is, has anyone found it necessary to open the iris more, or less, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
I'm using strip metadata and I haven't noticed the banding. I'll have my eye out tonight. Going to BB to pick up a UHD/HDR disc. Any suggestions? I want to be wowed. Suicide Squad was wild if anyone is interested. We checked it out last night. HDR is amazing. Can't wait for the sequel. Thought Jared Leto did a good job as Joker. He had very big shoes to fill. Great film, especially the writing.
Quote:
I easily saw banding in Jason Bourne, but did not see it in B v S when I was testing. It isnt bad, I mean Ive seen older plasmas have false contouring so its not like id be mad and pull the movie out.

Going to watch Mag 7 tonight in UHD with HDR Strip, will keep an eye out. I know it is not my display, I never had banding with the 900 and it outputs 422 12 bit. With everything on Auto, the 203 outputs 422 12bit to my display.
Quote:
Is it correct that Brightness +8 is only the current recommendation for HDR Strip, not HDR OFF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Yes the +8 for brightness in the picture settings should only be applied to STRIP METADATA as a temporary workaround until the feature can be perfected more in future firmware.
One can use a test pattern (an HDR test pattern) like what is found on the Sony UHD discs and see that +8 is about right. It's possible is some setups that +7 or +9 might be better.

This is being called a "gamma" issue by some. I suppose luminance tone mapping will be what Oppo improves in this space.

This might also be related to the banding some people are reporting when using Strip Meta Data.

I'm using the beta firmware, into a JVC RS500, with a REC2020 profile, with Strip Meta Data enabled on the Oppo, and MAYBE I could see some banding in the opening titles (before any film content, just the studio info screens) in the Revenant UHD, and maybe I saw some on a fade-to-black sequence.

I'm guessing these are related to the thing causing us to need to choose +8 brightness on the Oppo video settings and that once that is fixed, banding we see will simply be in the source. The JVC has a 12 bit signal path and a 12 bit panel, so with a clean source, banding should not be something one experiences even a hint of.
post #6665 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Beta applied to UK model.

I think there's still stutter:
2nd disc of the last in the Hobbit 3d extended edition. Battle of five armies.
Scenes:

11:47 (just as Bofur dwarf rides in with his giant)
13:17 -20 ish (just as Balin says goodbye, is when Dwalin reaches out but cannot recall if first or second reach)
15:13 (just as Gandalf tightens the crystal on his staff)

Rewinding and replay no stutter. Eject and again=Stutter. Looks like it jumps to a key-frame but pauses for a moment on the one it is showing

I wonder if they only fixed non 3d.

Can someone confirm they see this? Perhaps someone with a leodar device can confirm actual frame rate?

Also posted in the UK site.

Cheers
Chris

Hi again.

X-men apocalypse 3d has stutter even on latest beta. Most obvious occurance at 00:01:30 (just as the music chimes in as the camera just about begins to see over the pyramid. Also obvious at 00:02:40 (just before the scene cuts from the Egyptian pharaohs waking down the stairs to the brief cut to look at the chap before cutting again to the one who who takes off his mask, there's a stutter just before the camera angle changes after the stairs.)

After that I gave up and put the film on my ps4 instead knowing it'll do this throughout the film.

If someone could please confirm the specific scenes please and then we'll get this reported.
Please note rewinding to look again will NOT show that specific issue again in that specific scene, it needs to be from a fresh play which is why I'm only giving examples at the beginning of the film. However it occurs at the same place every time with each fresh play.

Chris
post #6666 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
I guess you dont consider multiple issues during a 30 day return window reason enough to actually communicate with a manufacturer and ask them for a grace period before you decide to give up on their product.. but you know what? I do.

Why you would even post your comment I am not sure, but its borderline disrespectful.
Oppo's a company worth giving the benefit of loyalty too. I trust their commitment to their customers. People, we need to remember that we're dealing with a whole new ballgame here. I will say that the sound from films on my 203 is spectacular. Also, 1080P Blu rays that are up scaled to the Epson 5040 have been spectacular as well. Sometimes a really great piece of gear will flesh out bad source material or weaknesses somewhere else in your signal chain. I spent decades in the High end audio business and a highly resolving system is much harder to tweak and tame than a of the shelf system. But, when the gear breaks in and you've tweaked your entire system, the hair on the back of your neck will stand on end from disbelief. I was getting adrenaline rushes viewing and listening to the sound from Deadpool UHD/HDR. It was outstanding. I was literally cheering.
post #6667 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I see what you mean now. I have attached screen shots before and after so you can also see that the before zoom has pixels on the Oppo that are much smaller too. The first one is max zoom, and the 2nd one is as you posted.
Here is a 1600 percent zoomed in comparison of the pixels in PS. LG upscaling on the left, Oppo on the right:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LG_OPPO.PNG
Views:	262
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	1881257  
post #6668 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5817
@nathan_h

The banding was also noticeable in the opening of Bourne, when the Universal log and planet move around, had never seen it on any of their titles before. And you could be right as to why were are seeing banding.
post #6669 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Hi again.

X-men apocalypse 3d has stutter even on latest beta. Most obvious occurance at 00:01:30 (just as the music chimes in as the camera just about begins to see over the pyramid. Also obvious at 00:02:40 (just before the scene cuts from the Egyptian pharaohs waking down the stairs to the brief cut to look at the chap before cutting again to the one who who takes off his mask, there's a stutter just before the camera angle changes after the stairs.)

After that I gave up and put the film on my ps4 instead knowing it'll do this throughout the film.

If someone could please confirm the specific scenes please and then we'll get this reported.
Please note rewinding to look again will NOT show that specific issue again in that specific scene, it needs to be from a fresh play which is why I'm only giving examples at the beginning of the film. However it occurs at the same place every time with each fresh play.

Chris
What refresh rate is used by UK 3d BD?
post #6670 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Interestingly even since the latest beta, my RXA3060 still shows 24Hz for 23.976 content. Perhaps it cannot distinguish between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X930E | Yamaha RXA3060 | AudioSource AMP100VS | Oppo UDP203 | NVidia Shield | Sony SSK90ED/70ED/CNK10ED *** Looking for 2 x K10ED's!! ***| KEF Ci160ER's (4) | Sony SAWX900's (2) | SVS PC12 Plus | Monster AVS2000SS & HTPS7000SS |
post #6671 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

No disrespect from anyone intended I'm sure but how many companies even include a HDMI cable anymore?
Have you had freezes since updating the firmware to 1229b? If you do then I don't blame you for trying to extend your return window. You may have a defective player. I'm sure OPPO will work with you if you let them know.
Hope it works out for you but if not the option is still open to return. You can always jump back in later when things get put in order. If you decide to wait it out I can almost guarantee you will be rewarded with a top performing UHD player.
You really can't lose either way.
muzz, TimWelborn and dmercer3 like this.

Clark
post #6672 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
I think what you're seeing here is an attempt by the Oppo to use a proper bicubic scaling algorithm versus the LG which is just doubling each HD pixel to a 2x2 pixel UHD image. The latter will give a coarser result basically identical to HD resolution whereas the former should appear more pleasing and natural on real pictures.
Is this true? If so which would be consider ideal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
That is exactly what i found when i first got the Oppo203 , i found the images "softer , less focused" to what i was used to even compared to images from Upscaled Bluray on my Pioneer BDP-LX88.

I got the Panasonic UB900 and the image is much shaper/focused than the Oppo 203.....i still have the 203 , but it,s now relegated to storage ...

Many people tell me that this is not the case, cant be true....but none had BOTH in their system to try side by side..
Did you noticed that UHD was sharper also? Or just regular blu-rays? I didn't notice much if any with a UHD test pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
You aren't understanding the difference between the two images. The oppo is the better image. The other is not an upscale at all, it's just 1080p.

I'm currious what the sharpness dial does to that pattern.
I don't get what you mean by, "The other is not an upscale at all, it's just 1080p."

TV: OLED65C8P - Receiver: Anthem MRX 710 - Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820 - Cd transport: Cambridge Audio CXC - Amp: Parasound A31 - LCR Speakers: Sierra 2s - Surrounds: Noble Fidelity L-65 mkII - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Distribution: PS Juice Bar II, Signal Cable Magicstrip - Power Cables: PS AC5, PS SC, Shunyata Venom 14 - Speaker Cables: Kimber 8tc, BJC 10 - RCA Cables: AQ Silver - Probe: i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B - Software: Lightspace HTL, Calman Enthusiast - Bias Lighting - MediaLight
post #6673 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad701xx View Post
The pixels looks the same size to me when zoomed in, as they should since they are both the same TV. The difference is in one the LG is doing the upscaling itself, in the other the Oppo is doing the upscaling.

Dave

Yes same pixel size but different overall representation of the image as a whole. Now the question is which is more accurate?

TV: OLED65C8P - Receiver: Anthem MRX 710 - Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820 - Cd transport: Cambridge Audio CXC - Amp: Parasound A31 - LCR Speakers: Sierra 2s - Surrounds: Noble Fidelity L-65 mkII - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Distribution: PS Juice Bar II, Signal Cable Magicstrip - Power Cables: PS AC5, PS SC, Shunyata Venom 14 - Speaker Cables: Kimber 8tc, BJC 10 - RCA Cables: AQ Silver - Probe: i1 Display Pro OEM Rev.B - Software: Lightspace HTL, Calman Enthusiast - Bias Lighting - MediaLight
post #6674 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
@nathan_h

The banding was also noticeable in the opening of Bourne, when the Universal log and planet move around, had never seen it on any of their titles before. And you could be right as to why were are seeing banding.
Just when watching Bourne in SDSR2020? Or even when watch Bourne in HDR2020?
post #6675 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Is this true? If so which would be consider ideal?

Did you noticed that UHD was sharper also? Or just regular blu-rays? I didn't notice much if any with a UHD test pattern.

I don't get what you mean by, "The other is not an upscale at all, it's just 1080p."
Yes, UHD on the UB900 is sharper than UHD on the Oppo .. Upscaled Bluray on the LX88 is also sharper than the 203. This is on a JVC DLA-X7000 with a 143" scope screen..

If Oppo were to add some type of Enhancing/Sharpening tools as per the UB900 , it may put the Oppo on the same level as the Panasonic. As it is , the UB900 has a far cleaner looking picture.
jb442386 and jrref like this.
post #6676 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
You young guys must have amazing sight. I'm a old 51 year old and when I go back and forth I really can't see anything. I am just going to keep letting to lg do its thing

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
TimWelborn, gwsat and marcuslaw like this.

OLED65E6P/4 Martin Logan ElectroMotion IC In-Ceiling
Marantz Av8802a/2 VMPS Super towers/Paradigm sub
OPPO UDP-203/4 M&K rear speakers/Paradigm center
Marantz MM8077/3 Adcom amps
Sony BDPS6200 /Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD
Request AudioReQuest N.Series
post #6677 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, UHD on the UB900 is sharper than UHD on the Oppo .. Upscaled Bluray on the LX88 is also sharper than the 203. This is on a JVC DLA-X7000 with a 143" scope screen..

If Oppo were to add some type of Enhancing/Sharpening tools as per the UB900 , it may put the Oppo on the same level as the Panasonic. As it is , the UB900 has a far cleaner looking picture.
Have you tried to put the Oppo in source direct?

post #6678 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post
You young guys must have amazing sight. I'm a old 51 year old and when I go back and forth I really can't see anything. I am just going to keep letting to lg do its thing

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
lol 51 is not that old With test patterns it makes it easier to see. On regular content, not so much.

post #6679 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Sounds like you should stick with your 900 and LX88. Seriously if the 900 has a far better picture why do you still have the 203? If you think the 203 needs a boost to sharpening then you are probably better served by the 900.

Clark

Last edited by Clark Burk; 01-07-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #6680 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Just put life of pi in and all I'm getting is a green screen. This is a first and have used the 203 twice since installing 1229 firmware. Any suggestions?
post #6681 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
Just put life of pi in and all I'm getting is a green screen. This is a first and have used the 203 twice since installing 1229 firmware. Any suggestions?
Have tried it just once? Power off and on again? TV first, player last?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6682 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Ok so the big question to me is.. Is there a difference when playing an UHD dvd movie vs streaming a 4k movie.. Is the difference noticeable?
post #6683 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Ok so the big question to me is.. Is there a difference when playing an UHD dvd movie vs streaming a 4k movie.. Is the difference noticeable?

IMO yes, it's a big difference.

But what's more important, to me, is the audio.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
post #6684 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Especially if your one of the people with an HDR capable display. Its pure eye candy on some of the latest TV's and projectors.
gwsat and jorgebetancourt like this.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer SC-95, SC-1222 7.2.4, (4) Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf (1) Debut 2.0 C6.2 center channel speaker, (4) Monoprice Monolith 24" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speaker, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Dish Network Joey, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #6685 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
It is interesting that with the beta firmware on the Oppo, I am not seeing the old lit up "deep color" note on the JVC RS500 info screen. It is, instead, grayed out, when running in rec2020, meta-data-stripped mode. Note that "grayed out" on the JVC doesn't necessarily mean "not present". For example, when HDR is not present, the words are literally not displayed at all -- not just grayed out.

This is different from what the JVC displayed on the old production Oppo firmware, where the color info on the JVC info screen used to have a highlighted color info entry. (My memory is bad but I want to say it indicated 12 bit deep color. I could be remembering wrong.)
With my JVC X7000/RS500 the only time the Colour Space bit rate is displayed in the Information tab is when I have the JVC input set to 4:4:4 ( ie NOT Auto and 4:4:2). Unfortunately, due to cabling issues, to get 4:4:4 out of the Oppo I need to be in Source Direct and have the movie playing ( ie it shows a black screen for the UHD 50hz Menu screen if I'm in Custom).
Since the Picture Adjustment options don't work in Source Direct, I'm prepared to sacrifice not knowing what my bit rate is so I can use Custom.
YMMV.
post #6686 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 496
As a owner of a OPPO-103 who is considering a purchase of an OPPO-203, does anyone recommend keeping the 103 for Bluray playback and using the 203 for UHD only?

Thanks!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #6687 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I've never heard of a Cinavia error on a commercial DVD. Are you sure someone didn't slip you a pirated copy?

What was the title?

-Bill
Nope Title is The secret life of pets, here are the pics. BTW please don't waste my time with questioning what I am doing wrong. I will reach out to Oppo to determine if the issue is on my endClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8828.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	1881385

Name:	IMG_8829.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1881393. Just be aware there are issues with this player if you wish to spend your hard earned money on it at this time.
post #6688 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inward lamp View Post
BTW please don't waste my time with questioning what I am doing wrong
Noted. It's good you said please.

I would be curious to know if the data side has a violet hue.

-Bill
oldsteve likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6689 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
Have tried it just once? Power off and on again? TV first, player last?

-Bill
Shutdown pj and oppo and restarted both. All is well now. Thank you!
post #6690 of 36581 Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Noted. It's good you said please.

I would be curious to know if the data side has a violet hue.

-Bill
This disc seems to be in good shape. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8833.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1881401

Name:	IMG_8832.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1881409

Name:	IMG_8831.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1881417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page