Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279064Likes

post #7231 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I wonder if it could be a matter of the OPPO being TOO solid and rigid. The Samsung sort of had this loose, "floating" feel to it that many referred to as "cheap". Not saying it wasn't cheap or that the "float" was an intended protection. Sometime accidents happen.

Just really bummed I can't get it to work. Not optimistic firmware update will fix this. I really want a player that does hi res audio and Dolby vision and was hoping this was the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.2.4 XBR65Z9D, Marantz SR7011, Anthem MCA 50, Oppo 203, Definitive STL Mains,
Triad InRoom Silver and Bronze , Paradigm Prestige 2000SW, Control4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude924 View Post
Curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have my 203 on my av stand shelf and my powered center channel on top shelf. Every time there is a scene with a lot of lfe, my player studders. Video and audio freeze up for a second. This only happens if my volume is up past -14. I've wiped the discs, have the most current firmware and all the discs play on my Samsung with no problem. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to get a sturdier shelf/stand.
ti-triodes and richlife like this.
post #7233 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sturdier?? It's an $1800 BDI AV Stand

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7234 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
^ Doesn't matter how much it costs or even the quality of it's build, but the configuration that is in place between the speakers,
stand and player is causing heavy vibrations that are apparently causing the player to vibrate enough to cause disc playback issues.
This also doesn't mean the player is flawed, as it can happen with any device, you just have to change something to keep it from happening.
Literally a couple dollars worth of pads under the speakers and/or player might do it.
Thousands of other people have had to do the same in the past. It happens less than it used to but it still happens.
post #7235 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Doesn't matter how much it costs or even the quality of it's build, but the configuration that is in place between the speakers,

stand and player is causing heavy vibrations that are apparently causing the player to vibrate enough to cause disc playback issues.

This also doesn't mean the player is flawed, as it can happen with any device, you just have to change something to keep it from happening.

Literally a couple dollars worth of pads under the speakers and/or player might do it.

Thousands of other people have had to do the same in the past. It happens less than it used to but it still happens.

Thanks so far I tried isolation pads under the center channel and then the oppo to no avail. Thought this was a problem of the past. Guess not

post #7236 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I have to agree with this. My 203 in on a wall unit shelf surrounded by 4 subs -- two are within 12 - 18 inches from the OPPO. Certainly not seeing a problem like this.

You may want to consider moving the OPPO to another location.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #7237 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post
I'd like to give a brief review of the 203's SACD capability. I have own the Sony 709 BD since release and always thought it did a great job with SACD but now that iv heard my two go to disk ( Dark side of the Moon & Wish you were here) it a new experience with SACD. WYWH totally engulfed me in the muti channel surround and DSOTM amazed me with the clarity and pin point precise of the clocks at the beginning of "time". The sound field of the cash register in "money" made me look all around the room with joy on my face and it reassured me that getting the Oppo over keeping the non SACD Samsung was worth it to me because of my enjoyment of these two albums alone.
I am thankful Oppo keeps the legacy audio format for those of us that still want it.
Can anyone tell me if the 203 does SACD better than the 103. I don't give a rat's ass about PQ, it's about SQ!!
post #7238 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:

What kind of a sub is that? What a monster it looked like in the pic!

I would take a note of the timestamp when the stuttering occurs. Then replay the exact same timestamp with the sub turned off.

If the errors stop then that monster massive sub is causing the issue along with the acoustics of the stand that is adding to the vibrations.

Another possible factor is that center channel. Cut them both off then you will know more. Until then all is hypothetical.

I've seen massive powered subs shake glasses and plates off tables b4 so yeah that can affect any disk player or phono player.

Now if it was the center channel 7 that monster sub you know know and can move them out of the problem areas.

If it is not them then the player needs to be called into oppo tech support ASAP.

My 500 watt sub is located in the rear of a 15 X 27 foot room far away from the 203.

Another idea is if it is the vibrations and you don't wanna change the sib position buy a cheap memory foam and put it under the 203 to absorb some. We all have to learn what works best with trial and error.

I can't tell you how many times I had to do this.

Best of luck either way!

Last edited by timc1475; 01-10-2017 at 08:50 PM.
post #7239 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with this. My 203 in on a wall unit shelf surrounded by 4 subs -- two are within 12 - 18 inches from the OPPO. Certainly not seeing a problem like this.

Thanks for the input. Just not sure where else to move the oppo to. I've tried every shelf on the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
What kind of a sub is that? What a monster it looked like in the pic!

I would take a note of the timestamp when the stuttering occurs. Then replay the exact same timestamp with the sub turned off.

If the errors stop then that monster massive sub is causing the issue along with the acoustics of the stand that is adding to the vibrations.

Another possible factor is that center channel. Cut them both off then you will know more. Until then all is hypothetical.

I've seen massive powered subs shake glasses and plates off tables b4 so yeah that can affect any disk player or phono player.

Now if it was the center channel 7 that monster sub you know know and can move them out of the problem areas.

If it is not them then the player needs to be called into oppo tech support ASAP.

My 500 watt sub is located in the rear of a 15 X 27 foot room far away from the 203.

Another idea is if it is the vibrations and you don't wanna change the sib position buy a cheap memory foam and put it under the 203 to absorb some. We all have to learn what works best with trial and error.

I can't tell you how many times I had to do this.

Best of luck either way!

Thanks. I've done what you suggested replaying certain scenes. The center channel is definitely the one causing the issue. I've tried turning off the sub and it still happens. If I disconnect the center or turn down the powered sub in it, it fixes the issue. Also, the sub is a paradigm 2000 sw. Going to try putting something under the oppo.

timc1475 likes this.

post #7240 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have my 203 on my av stand shelf and my powered center channel on top shelf. Every time there is a scene with a lot of lfe, my player studders. Video and audio freeze up for a second. This only happens if my volume is up past -14. I've wiped the discs, have the most current firmware and all the discs play on my Samsung with no problem. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 1887721
I never saw your pic until just now. Yeah it could be that your room has a high node for a sub frequency right where the player is at
and that could be causing the issue too and not the center channel.
You could try swapping the gear on those shelves by putting the Oppo player on the middle shelf and the other two below it.
May or may not work, but worth a try if you're willing.
post #7241 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerider62 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 203 does SACD better than the 103. I don't give a rat's ass about PQ, it's about SQ!!
SQ? Seems you should be waiting for the 205 instead of the 203 maybe?
My take on the 103 analog output compared to the 203 analog output is that they are very close.
The 203 edges out the 103, but not by a large margin. My setup isn't really considered high end these days though,
(Emotiva XPA amps and JBL Studio L series speakers with SVS subs)
so if you have high end reference amps and speakers than maybe you'll hear even more resolve.
ThePrisoner and richlife like this.
post #7242 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Just not sure where else to move the oppo to. I've tried every shelf on the stand.

Thanks. I've done what you suggested replaying certain scenes. The center channel is definitely the one causing the issue. I've tried turning off the sub and it still happens. If I disconnect the center or turn down the powered sub in it, it fixes the issue. Also, the sub is a paradigm 2000 sw. Going to try putting something under the oppo.

Cool, I got a sub in my center channel as well. There are many options to relocate it. Once I had it towards the ceiling aiming downwards. Although the audiophiles would squeal we all must do what needs done as needed for all environments create their own unique variables.

Now the main center w/sub I moved & is under my TV on the stand and after reading your post I may put some memory foam under it as a preventative. try that as well. You can just cover it with some black sheet material. That may do it and you won't even have to move anything. or look at the pic below to see the old location of my center as another option.

Oh I forgot to mention I moved that top center channel speaker (had 2 extra btw) to use as a VOG for Auro 3D as you can see in the 2nd pic. The main center/sub remains under the TV on the stand. Wow was that tricky to figure out how to mount upside down securely so as to not gonk in the head anyone if it fell.

Please excuse the foot photo bomb! lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02047 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	1888241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02876.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1888281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auro.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1888297  

Last edited by timc1475; 01-11-2017 at 07:34 PM.
post #7243 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I've had to deal with something similar to your problem in the past with a laser disc player that skipped. I took a piece of foam and cut it to fit and than spray painted it black to blend in with the shelf. Only if you were very, very close could you see it under the player.I don't know in your situation if that would be an acceptable fix?You have some really nice equipment

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #7244 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 1887721
Try putting a few Auralex Mopads under the centre - I do that in my setup, and I have a 20.5kg centre, no problems with the sound, even with the HT system at full tilt.. see my signature for a pic, cheers.
post #7245 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:

Vibration can be tricky. Usually in situations like yours I think that isolating the speaker from the stand is the best way to go but you could also try isolating the 203 from the stand as well. There really is not much "padding" in the 203's feet in my view so I doubt they are particularly effective isolators.

If isolation does not work, as strange as it sounds, sometimes coupling with cones is more effective.

As to why there's a problem with the 203 and not with the Samsung, I'd say it has something to do with their internal construction and how much the disc playing mechanism "floats" within the case. In general it's not a good idea to have a speaker sitting in or on the same rack as your components but if there is some damping going on inside the 203 and the vibration being introduced by the speaker is at a frequency which is below 1.4 times the resonant frequency of the damping mechanism, the damping mechanism can actually end up magnifying the vibration. Damping is only effective if the resonant frequency of the damping mechanism is low enough. If it isn't low enough in a particular situation, then coupling may be better . If the Samsung doesn't have any internal damping then it's drive mechanism is going to couple to the rack and that may cause less problems than a damping mechanism which has a resonant frequency that's a little too high to let it isolate the drive from external vibrations.

That doesn't mean that I think Samsung made a better design choice than Oppo did. I don't know what each of them has done but either choice will work well in some situations and less well in others, and each of them will work better in a different situation than the other. It would seem that your situation is not the one that works best for the 203. I have no problems with mine, but I also have mine sitting on a shelf in a rack that is not supporting a speaker so my 203 is in quite a different situation to yours.
TimWelborn and Despoiler like this.
post #7246 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4sho View Post
I am a owner of the Oppo 203, Oppo 93, and Xbox one S. In my opinion based on my eyes, the picture quality of the 203, while not bad, is not as good as 4k uhd hdr, on the Xbox one S. The Xbox has a much brighter and detailed image. As for as sdr 1080p content, the Oppo 93, is as good or a little better than the 203. So, I am kinda disappointed with the performance as for as picture quality. This is viewing it on my lg oled65c6p. I also have a pioneer 6010 Kuro.

Interesting observation.. By chance do you have your 203 plugged directly to your tv or to a receiver? I have the same tv except in 55 and I find the Oppo UHD playback better than what I've experienced on the Xbox One S. I'm running a two cable setup for the 203 if it matters.
post #7247 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
I threw in my new copy of Deepwater Horizon to check it out. Gave me a start at first because I was only getting audio and no picture for the first minute. Than I realized after playing it back, that's how it was recorded. This is the first time also I've seen the new Dolby Atmos "thingy" before the movie starts. Its pretty cool. If nothing else, it wakes all your speakers up and gets them ready for action!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Thanks, glad you told us as I'm going to watch tonight and would have freaked out if I didn't know.
I watched Deepwater Horizon UHD tonight and had a whole lot of problems with the 203. First I kept getting very short audio dropouts until I just stopped the movie and then played again using the "Resume" option. The audio dropouts stopped for a while and then the next time I paused the movie to take care of business, the dropouts started again. Then at around 15 minutes before the end of the movie the movie just froze. I then took out the disc and cleaned it as others have mentioned doing and when I put the disc back in, the 203 didn't ask to "Resume" so I had to find the place using the chapters to watch the rest. Didn't like all these problems and now am considering asking for an RMA since my 30 day return period is quickly coming up.

I'll try playing the same movie on another player to make sure it's not the disc.

lujan
543 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 01-10-2017 at 10:47 PM.
post #7248 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'm curious for everyone that says the Panasonic ub900 is sharper, if they cranked up the sharpness on the ub900 internally. I may have to get a ub900 and do some testing myself. I may put up some screen shots, maybe..

Also an update. I emailed Oppo with the pictures I posted in this thread a while back showing how the Lg OLED upscaler seems sharper than the Oppo internal upscaler. They stated that it seem a bit odd and they will do further testing. Hopefully they can come up with a fix or explaination.
Brandon B and budeone like this.

Last edited by panasonicst60; 01-10-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #7249 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

Back in my Disc spinning days we used to glue a little bit of bubble wrap to the feet of the 1200's, that stopped a lot of skipping in banging clubs.
post #7250 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4sho View Post
I am a owner of the Oppo 203, Oppo 93, and Xbox one S. In my opinion based on my eyes, the picture quality of the 203, while not bad, is not as good as 4k uhd hdr, on the Xbox one S. The Xbox has a much brighter and detailed image. As for as sdr 1080p content, the Oppo 93, is as good or a little better than the 203. So, I am kinda disappointed with the performance as for as picture quality. This is viewing it on my lg oled65c6p. I also have a pioneer 6010 Kuro.
That is interesting and i would like to know what your Xbox One S output settings are, as over on the SEK-3500 thread almost every One S owner complains about the picture being too dark with HDR.
post #7251 of 37065 Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
I'm curious for everyone that says the Panasonic ub900 is sharper, if they cranked up the sharpness on the ub900 internally. I may have to get a ub900 and do some testing myself. I may put up some screen shots, maybe..

Also an update. I emailed Oppo with the pictures I posted in this thread a while back showing how the Lg OLED upscaler seems sharper than the Oppo internal upscaler. They stated that it seem a bit odd and they will do further testing. Hopefully they can come up with a fix or explaination.
Like i said yesterday, after a few firmware releases the unit should be a different beast, different equipment and settings may require tweaks to get the picture Oppo intended.
Anybody with any feedback, that they can back up with settings and or images should send it to Oppo.
post #7252 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Thanks so far I tried isolation pads under the center channel and then the oppo to no avail. Thought this was a problem of the past. Guess not
I have a sub-woofer that was shaking our couch. The solution was getting an isolation platform for the sub and a calibration for our 5.1 audio setup. You may be over doing the low notes through the center speaker.

In our system, music is 2.1 and for movies the big bad lows are mostly routed to the sub , and the FR/FL speakers.

Another thing to take into account is that all pads are not equally capable of dampening vibration. I think you're dealing with a physics problem. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

One more thought. We have two heavy rubber door stops that we use to point the center speaker up to our ear level. That trick adds some isolation to the center speaker in addition to pointing movie dialog at our ears instead of at our knees.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 01-11-2017 at 12:43 AM.
post #7253 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

It's not necessarily the magnitude of the vibration, but does it couple to a fundamental frequency of something in the player's loader? If it does it will constructively interfere and cause an instability. Google Seatac bridge and watch the resulting video, that is an extreme case but very representative of what small vibrations can do to 'stable structures' when the inducing vibrations couple to a structure's modal frequencies.

What you want to do is uncouple the vibrations. You may have to try a multitude of solutions to find the best, but it can be done fairly easily. The best would be to move it to a different shelf. If that is not possible, distance may help more than isolating feet. Isolation doesn't uncouple, distance may. It may take a combination. You just have to try some different things. But it should be workable.

Edit:

Quote:
Quote:

Saw this after my post. Seems odd he'd not have a problem like this buy you do. I'd have to believe his two subs within 12-18 in are not worse than your problem. This really speaks to a coupling problem, or perhaps even something loose in your loader and not his.

Last edited by glangford; 01-11-2017 at 02:41 AM.
post #7254 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerider62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post
I'd like to give a brief review of the 203's SACD capability. I have own the Sony 709 BD since release and always thought it did a great job with SACD but now that iv heard my two go to disk ( Dark side of the Moon & Wish you were here) it a new experience with SACD. WYWH totally engulfed me in the muti channel surround and DSOTM amazed me with the clarity and pin point precise of the clocks at the beginning of "time". The sound field of the cash register in "money" made me look all around the room with joy on my face and it reassured me that getting the Oppo over keeping the non SACD Samsung was worth it to me because of my enjoyment of these two albums alone.
I am thankful Oppo keeps the legacy audio format for those of us that still want it.
I haven't compared the two sorry but with respect to original post I'd say the sound from the 203 for SACD is very good but not great. It's a tad harsh but has better placement over my previous Denon 3313. Two channel is my forte but I know DSOTM like the back of my hand. Used it on many a HIFI show demo. The 203 sound is as I say very good but not as good as I've heard on MC
post #7255 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
If I get one from Amazon without Atmos, I will return it. Also, I hope you contacted the studio and complained. At that cost, you were cheated. And finally, thanks very much for the heads up!

Do be cautious about those anecdotal reports of good/bad. Just today I saw in this thread a statement that the UHD Oblivion is terrible compared to the bluray, and then, just above here, another saying how good it looks. Personally, I have the UHD Oblivion and think it looks great! Did a test run with it today and had to fight myself not watch it all over again right then. The first time I saw it was on the Samsung K8500 and while good, it did not have the impact that the brief view I saw today had.
I also have the UHD Oblivion and the BR and would agree with yor statements.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #7256 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPG View Post
Interesting observation.. By chance do you have your 203 plugged directly to your tv or to a receiver? I have the same tv except in 55 and I find the Oppo UHD playback better than what I've experienced on the Xbox One S. I'm running a two cable setup for the 203 if it matters.
I have both the Oppo 203 and the Xbox One S plugged directly into tv. I am also using both hdmi ports on the Oppo 203, one to the tv and one to my XMC-1 for audio. I have looked at several hdr blurays to come to this conclusion, but the Revenant, really shows the difference.

LG OLED65C6P, PIONEER KURO 6010, MARANTZ AV7703, MINI DSP DDRC-88A(DiracLive),OPPO 93,XBOX ONE X, PS4 Pro,AUDIO TECHNICA TURNTABLE, RYHTHMIC FV15HP, HSU VTF-MK2, MIRAGE OMD-15,MIRAGE OMD-5, ENERGY TOWERS AND CENTER CHANNEL
2 CARVIN AND 1 CROWN POWER AMP
post #7257 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Which unit gives better sd upscale to 4K sets,the 203 or the 83?

Matt
post #7258 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Vibration can be tricky. Usually in situations like yours I think that isolating the speaker from the stand is the best way to go but you could also try isolating the 203 from the stand as well. There really is not much "padding" in the 203's feet in my view so I doubt they are particularly effective isolators.

If isolation does not work, as strange as it sounds, sometimes coupling with cones is more effective.

As to why there's a problem with the 203 and not with the Samsung, I'd say it has something to do with their internal construction and how much the disc playing mechanism "floats" within the case. In general it's not a good idea to have a speaker sitting in or on the same rack as your components but if there is some damping going on inside the 203 and the vibration being introduced by the speaker is at a frequency which is below 1.4 times the resonant frequency of the damping mechanism, the damping mechanism can actually end up magnifying the vibration. Damping is only effective if the resonant frequency of the damping mechanism is low enough. If it isn't low enough in a particular situation, then coupling may be better . If the Samsung doesn't have any internal damping then it's drive mechanism is going to couple to the rack and that may cause less problems than a damping mechanism which has a resonant frequency that's a little too high to let it isolate the drive from external vibrations.

That doesn't mean that I think Samsung made a better design choice than Oppo did. I don't know what each of them has done but either choice will work well in some situations and less well in others, and each of them will work better in a different situation than the other. It would seem that your situation is not the one that works best for the 203. I have no problems with mine, but I also have mine sitting on a shelf in a rack that is not supporting a speaker so my 203 is in quite a different situation to yours.
Thanks, going to try a few things under the speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Try putting a few Auralex Mopads under the centre - I do that in my setup, and I have a 20.5kg centre, no problems with the sound, even with the HT system at full tilt.. see my signature for a pic, cheers.
Thank you, What is under your center channel, doesn't look like auralex mopads? also great setup!
post #7259 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see several people above have noted the two HDMI cable set coming out of the Oppo. I having trouble with this(several long posts in the Sony XBR-850C thread. I have a older Onkyo SR705 what is only HDMI 1.4, which is the seat of my issue.
I have read the Oppo manual cover to cover and I never found anything about changing any setting on the Oppo when running dual HDMI outputs. Page 14

The UDP-203’s Dual HDMI connection mode ensures that you can enjoy the highest possible video quality and resolution, in addition to high bit rate audio content. Use an HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Main) output to your TV, and another HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Audio Only) output to your receiver.
 This configuration is recommended when you have a 3D or UHD compatible display, but your receiver is not 3D or UHD compatible. This configuration will allow you to send the video signal (3D or UHD in this case) directly to the TV and send the audio signal to the receiver.

Anyway I just want to be sure there is no setting on the Oppo telling it that the audio signal is being used to an AVR that is only HDMI 1.4. The dual ports were meant for that in the first place.
post #7260 of 37065 Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGou View Post
I see several people above have noted the two HDMI cable set coming out of the Oppo. I having trouble with this(several long posts in the Sony XBR-850C thread. I have a older Onkyo SR705 what is only HDMI 1.4, which is the seat of my issue.
I have read the Oppo manual cover to cover and I never found anything about changing any setting on the Oppo when running dual HDMI outputs. Page 14

The UDP-203’s Dual HDMI connection mode ensures that you can enjoy the highest possible video quality and resolution, in addition to high bit rate audio content. Use an HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Main) output to your TV, and another HDMI cable to connect the HDMI OUT (Audio Only) output to your receiver.
 This configuration is recommended when you have a 3D or UHD compatible display, but your receiver is not 3D or UHD compatible. This configuration will allow you to send the video signal (3D or UHD in this case) directly to the TV and send the audio signal to the receiver.

Anyway I just want to be sure there is no setting on the Oppo telling it that the audio signal is being used to an AVR that is only HDMI 1.4. The dual ports were meant for that in the first place.
The Onkyo is actually 1.3a. I have seen reports with several UHD players having trouble when running to the older Onkyo's/receivers with earlier than HDMI version 1.4.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...class=Receiver

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page