Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279046Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7351 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
jb442386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Doylestown PA
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
It IS a tough choice because both certainly ARE great players. I finally made my decision today and have regretfully requested a RMA for the 203 from Oppo. I'm keeping the UB900 and will re-evaluate things towards the end of this year when Dolby Vision titles are more than vaporware and there are more players on the market. I'd love to go back to the Oppo, but for now the Panasonic is top of the heap for PQ in my system and to my eyes, and that's what really counts for me.
Completely understand my Friend! Good Luck!
jb442386 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7352 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I know many think I am crazy but for me, the primary issue I have is OPPO has no "bedside manner"

Their attitude is this is it, take it or leave it. A response like this would be much better IMHO.
My edit:
Sorry you are having that issue, we will be making enhancements to the player's error correction through firmware release, it may take some time to fix most of the disc reading errors that our customers are reporting but we are dedicated to as prompt as possible resolution.

Not so different but a totally different tone, no?
It's not a bedside manner so much as you're being allowed to interact directly with people that actually know what the heck they are talking about. The layer of insulation you're used to has been peeled away and you are talking with someone who can make something happen. In other companies you'll get BS fluffy language if you're lucky, but they likely don't even know what you're talking about. They are just programmed response people to make you feel good. Somewhere in some other country there may or may not be a team of engineers working on your problem, but it's far behind the scenes.

Or it could be a company like Sony that isn't even going to try fixing your issue. I opened 2 cases with them, got nowhere. I re-opened them and again got nothing. I was told an engineer would call me, but it would simply never happen no many how many times I pursued it.

I just don't see the value in simply being told what I want to hear, while the unseen take it or leave it stuff is veiled behind the scenes.
stevenjw, muzz, hughh and 3 others like this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #7353 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Just bought the ub900 to do a comparison on UHD PQ between the OPPO. Everyone saying the Panasonic having better PQ, but no one has posted screen shots for proof. I guess when you want something done you'll have to do it yourself! I'll report back with some proof in a few days
Good luck. Even if you do discern some small difference, being able to photograph it so others can pop it up on their own devices at home and see a legit comparison... now that's a challenge.
jmanthey and gsr like this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7354 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
jb442386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Doylestown PA
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
The problem is, it isn't proof in the true sense of the word...it's your personal perception. What is your truth might not be someone else's...this game really ain't easy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sir; I simply trust him!
jb442386 is offline  
post #7355 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicst60 View Post
Just bought the ub900 to do a comparison on UHD PQ between the OPPO. Everyone saying the Panasonic having better PQ, but no one has posted screen shots for proof. I guess when you want something done you'll have to do it yourself! I'll report back with some proof in a few days
I, for one, hope you post them in the Oppo / Panasonic comparison thread and not here. Screenshots are mostly meaningless anyway; especially HDR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...mparisons.html

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-11-2017 at 06:09 PM.
claw is online now  
post #7356 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ok, here it is:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12961

I'm running it through my Yamaha 3060 using the supplied Oppo cable from the 203 to the Yamaha, and then the above 40' monoprice cord to the Epson 5040 and getting 12 bit 4:2:2. The Epson won't do 4:4:4, so no cord would do better than this as far as I know.
I have the 45ft version of this cable running from a Denon x4200 to JVC projector. My HTPC is outputing 4k 24 4:4:4 at 12-bit color. No problems.

I just took delivery of the oppo and will be hooking it up this weekend. Will report back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #7357 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Member
 
vlad335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Help! Anyone with a UHD player in the Pittsburgh area?

I am having an audio problem with my Oppo UBD-203 player along with a Samsung KS8000 and Denon X4000.

Details in this post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post49732665

When I turn on UHD Color on the Samsung my amps turn off. No audio except from the front height speakers. I have been emailing with Oppo and trying a bunch of things but nothing works. Only thing I can think of is trying another brand of player preferably with HDMI audio out and seeing if it does the same thing.

I live in Latrobe, PA. If someone can bring their player over I can kick some bucks for gas and the trouble. Just want to see if this is 100% the Oppo or some other problem.
vlad335 is online now  
post #7358 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
I am one of the 2016 JVC projector owners who was looking forward to getting BT.2020 SDR. Because it seems it might be some time before Oppo gets it right, I spent some time today getting HDR to look as good as I could manage to do.

Device chain is Oppo -> Denon x4200w -> JVC RS500.
Oppo supplied HDMI cable to AVR.
Blue Jeans Series1 25 foot cable from AVR to RS500.

With factory Auto settings, Home screen comes up with no issues. So those with JVC projectors who have issues getting an initial picture with Auto settings...it is your HDMI cable that is most likely not up to snuff.

The following are the output formats I get from the Oppo with various settings:

With Auto settings, Oppo output format:

Home Screen...........4K60 4:2:2 12-bit
UHD Disc.................4K24 4:2:2 BT2020 12-bit HDR
BD Disc...................4K24 4:2:2 BT709 12bit
HDR OFF.................4K24 4:2:2 SDR BT709 12-bit
HDR Strip Metadata..4K24 4:2:2 SDR BT2020 12bit
After stopping disc playback Home screen returns to 4K60 4:2:2 12-bit.


With Display Settings:

Custom Resolution: UHD Auto
Color Space: 4:4:4

Home Screen....4K60 4:4:4 8-bit
UHD Disc..........4K24 4:4:4 BT.2020 12-bit HDR


With Display Settings:

Output Resolution: Source Direct
Custom Resolution: UHD Auto

Menu.............1080p/60
UHD Disc.......4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Blu Ray Disc...1080p/24 4:4:4 12-bit BT709

With everything set to Auto, it appears that the Oppo and RS500 prefer 4:2:2 over 4:4:4 so I will leave it that way for now. I might use Source Direct if I decide that standard Blu Ray at 1080p with JVC e-Shift looks better than the Oppo scaling output to 4K.

UHD HDR looked rather darker than I expected it to. So I performed a quick check this evening with the Masciola HDR 10 Black and White Clipping patterns. Forum thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-patterns.html

RS500 Settings:

Low Lamp
Iris: -5

Gamma D: Picture Tone: +12 Dark Level: +2 Bright Level: +7
BT.2020 Color Profile
Contrast: 10
Brightness: 1

Increased Contrast in the Oppo to +6 to be able to see the 1000 nit square in the white clipping pattern flash and nothing above.
Increased Brightness in the Oppo to +4 to be able to see the 77 bar in the black clipping pattern flash and nothing below.

With these settings I watched scenes from a number of my UHD discs in HDR. It seems to have addressed the overly dark image I had previously noticed.

I was extremely impressed with HDR from Lucy, Kingsman, and Pacific Rim. Star Trek Beyond was still somewhat dark, but it wasn't frustratingly so. It looked like what you would expect to see in low light and at night.

Low Lamp is still plenty bright for me at 16:9 118 inch diagonal. Closing down the iris a bit results in better black levels than at High Lamp and wide open iris which JVC recommends.

I am going to stick with HDR for now. At least until Oppo fixes BT.2020 SDR conversion. But even then I believe I will still enjoy bright and colorful films like Kinsgman a lot more in HDR.

Edit: I don't think my JVC projector was sufficiently warmed up when I used the HDR pattern to set brightness and contrast in the Oppo. I rechecked using the patterns and have now settled on Brightness +3 and Contrast +4.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-14-2017 at 12:35 PM.
claw is online now  
post #7359 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
spirithockey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm a little behind, there was some discussion about how great the upscale ability is on the 203.



I did a comparison between the 203 and the Epson 5040 to see which did a better job of upscaling for Blu Ray disks. It is really close, but I ever so slightly prefer the Epson upscale. This is NOT a slight on the 203 because I have been so impressed with the "enhanced 4k" function on the Epson. I have had the 5040 for a less than 2 months, and it has made a huge difference in how good blu ray's look.



I need to try the comparison "blind", it really is that close.



I'm loving the Oppo, found a 40 foot cord that gives me 12 bit 4:2:2 which is the most the 5040 is capable of. I bought it from a friend, it's a monoprice. If anyone is curious of the model I can ask him, send me a PM.


In your testing, did you have Oppo set to 1080p Auto or Source Direct when you were assessing the 5040's upscale?
spirithockey79 is offline  
post #7360 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Try putting a few Auralex Mopads under the centre - I do that in my setup, and I have a 20.5kg centre, no problems with the sound, even with the HT system at full tilt.. see my signature for a pic, cheers.
Wow I check the prices they want for those Auralex Mopads black isolation pads man is that expensive!

50 buks a pair baby! That is 3 eeks to the 3rd power for friggin foam btw.

Heck I'd use bubble wrap or cut off some yellow eggshell bed foam before tossing my coins at that price.

The trailer park discount redneck foam anti vibration bed foam (TM patent pending) buy now! lol

UPDATE: Now there is even a better than redneck way to isolate on the cheap. Get some black pipe insulation, you know that round stuff with a hole in the middle? Then just cut a few 2" squares cut in 1/2 & set it under your Oppo 203 and if you have a booming center sub on the same stand put a 6" strip on each side cut in 1/2.

(These ideas are patent pending earth shattering ideas based upon the redneck trailer park TM & subsequent trademarks by the Couch Potato that may rock your world) YMMV

muzz, stikle and steverobertsbbc like this.

Last edited by timc1475; 01-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #7361 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
petetherock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back in Asia for now
Posts: 3,642
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Wow I check the prices they want for those black isolation pads man is that expensive!

Heck I'd use bubble wrap or cut off some yellow eggshell bed foam before tossing my coins at that price.

The trailer park discount redneck foam anti vibration bed foam (TM patent pending) buy now! lol

YMMV, and if they work for you, it's fine.
But if one is willing to put 10k down on a nice centre, the outlay of 20 dollars for these items doesn't seem too bad, cheers.
petetherock is offline  
post #7362 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
YMMV, and if they work for you, it's fine.
But if one is willing to put 10k down on a nice centre, the outlay of 20 dollars for these items doesn't seem too bad, cheers.
I know what you're saying, but I am not gonna spend 1500.00 buks on a 6' HDMI cable either when Monoprice 6 foot certified 18Gb High Speed cables do the trick for under 5 buks, same thing for me anyway on foam that I can use within my means with some modification 1/10th the price>

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Di...PF0XVYCM21FGME

But there are those that money's no object and I say good for you & hats off, but the majority must buy very cautiously or miss a mortgage pymt or food on the table.

Certified 5 buk 6 foot High Speed HDMI cable: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15430

UPDATE: Now there is even a better than redneck way to isolate on the cheap. Get some black pipe insulation, you know that round stuff with a hole in the middle? Then just cut a few 2" squares cut in 1/2 & set it under your Oppo 203 and if you have a booming center sub on the same stand put a 6" strip on each side cut in 1/2.


YMMV
muzz, ellisr63 and richlife like this.

Last edited by timc1475; 01-11-2017 at 08:54 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #7363 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Member
 
OfficialPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
For anyone having any doubts about checking and cleaning their disks here's a prime example why. I tried playing my UHD of Deepwater Horozon but the Oppo wouldn't read it. Low and behold there's was a thin layer film that was showing up like invisible tape. I just went ahead and swapped it out at the store.
OfficialPG is offline  
post #7364 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
spirithockey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
I know what you're saying, but I am not gonna spend 1500.00 buks on a 6' HDMI cable either when Monoprice certified 18Gb High Speed cables do the trick for under 10 buks, same thing for me anyway on foam that I can use within my means with some modification 1/10th the price>



https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Di...PF0XVYCM21FGME



But there are those that money's no object and I say good for you & hats off, but the majority must buy very cautiously or miss a mortgage pymt or food on the table.


After my day at work that's just what I needed!! Just reading those reviews were worth the ~hour I spend every night on my iPad getting caught up on these threads due to my expensive addiction that I'm sure many of us share. I'm going to have to bookmark this and hope they never take it down.
muzz and timc1475 like this.
spirithockey79 is offline  
post #7365 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
retate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was having failures with no video when I used a Logitech Harmony activity to power up my UDP-203, Marantz AV8802A, and Sony XBR-65X950B. Through experimentation with various delays I found that increasing the "Inter-Device Delay" for the UDP-203 from 500 milliseconds (default) to 2500 milliseconds (2.5 seconds) resolved the problem I was encountering. "Inter-Device Delay" is "the amount of time between command for different devices when you start an Activity".

Bob
retate is online now  
post #7366 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
Ugh, I'm so torn between the UDP-203 and the UB900. This is my first dive into high-end playback equipment (always used consoles before), and I've been ready to make a purchase for weeks, but just can't decide between the two.
Here is a novel idea...

Buy them both! Then take pics and comparisons and report back here, the loser gets sent home before their return window.

Whoa that is some advice there!

Couch potato out

timc1475 is offline  
post #7367 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post
I am using a two HDMI cable setup, with an Amazon Basics cable going from the HDMI audio out of the 203 to the HDMI 3 input on my Sony HT-CT660 sound bar. Whenever I am playing a DVD or blu-ray disk and pause the disk the audio on the Sony sound bar immediately switches from HDMI 3 to the "TV" input. Can anyone think of a reason this might be happening? I am wondering if this is a byproduct of CEC control somehow ( both my Sony sound bar and my 203 have CEC enabled) or is this a bug on the 203????
Well cupcake you did not mention if an AVR is in the mix?

If not then is there is any setting other that the CEC under the menu > Video > HDMI setup that says "TV Audio Switching" then turn that puppy OFF = end of said issue at least for me with my Denon 6300H.

Thereafter I ran an optical cable from point A to B for the APPs from the TV to the AVR.

Remind me again why TPTB expect us all to become Einsteins to properly operate what they are pushing?

No issues = winning!

timc1475 is offline  
post #7368 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPG View Post
For anyone having any doubts about checking and cleaning their disks here's a prime example why. I tried playing my UHD of Deepwater Horozon but the Oppo wouldn't read it. Low and behold there's was a thin layer film that was showing up like invisible tape. I just went ahead and swapped it out at the store.
Wow that disk has the top layer of plastic peeling off!

Thanks to all my AVS buds couch potato here will check all the disks 1st & clean them as needed going forward, even brand spankin new ones too.

I am also going to cut off a 2" piece of round pipe insulation cut in 1/2 and set it under the 203's sexy legs & under my center channel that happens to also have a friggin sub in it for added isolation since they are on the same stand.

Thanks to that one poster a few pages back whose 203 was shaking like a Hula Hoop girl in below zero weather while drinking iced tea that was in his stand by his megalithic woofer powers, I am also going to isolate as aforementioned for a preventative = what?

More winning!


Last edited by timc1475; 01-11-2017 at 09:15 PM.
timc1475 is offline  
post #7369 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
oldsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Citrus Hts., CA
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Wow that disk has the top layer of plastic peeling off!

Obviously there is no quality control by a human being at the disc production facility. No amount of cleaning is going to make that playable!

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
oldsteve is online now  
post #7370 of 37039 Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, Not the one by the sea
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I, for one, hope you post them in the Oppo / Panasonic comparison thread and not here. Screenshots are mostly meaningless anyway; especially HDR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...mparisons.html
Wow there is a comparison thread, with no actual proof of comparison going on it lol.
gsr, rossi46, rdgrimes and 2 others like this.
DaMacFunkin is offline  
post #7371 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 AM
Senior Member
 
panasonicst60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Wow there is a comparison thread, with no actual proof of comparison going on it lol.
Tell me about it! That just boggles my mind! I might just change that. Lol
gwsat, ad701xx and steverobertsbbc like this.
panasonicst60 is offline  
post #7372 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Yep defo CEC...it really is a PITA
Although, on the flip side... I was playing an SACD yesterday and discovered that if I pressed the Option button on my Panasonic TV remote, it brought up the 203's option screen, which was quite nice. So there are some upsides to CEC.

I'm relieved it's not quite as annoyingly implemented as it was on my previous Toshiba player. Turning the Oppo on switches the amp and TV to the correct inputs, but thankfully turning on the amp if it has been left on the Oppo input doesn't switch the Oppo on. That was very confusing for her indoors.
StumpyBloke likes this.
steverobertsbbc is offline  
post #7373 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPG View Post
For anyone having any doubts about checking and cleaning their disks here's a prime example why. I tried playing my UHD of Deepwater Horozon but the Oppo wouldn't read it. Low and behold there's was a thin layer film that was showing up like invisible tape. I just went ahead and swapped it out at the store.
Wow, that's a pretty severe case of stress de-lamination! I suspect that you probably did this when you tried to pry the disc out of the vice-like grip of the case's centre spindle. It wouldn't surprise me at all if these new multi-layer discs are even more susceptible to de-lamination than BDs and DVDs. Bring back those old style cases with the popper button in the centre which released the disc when pressed.
steverobertsbbc is offline  
post #7374 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Senior Member
 
IMDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I am one of the 2016 JVC projector owners who was looking forward to getting BT.2020 SDR. Because it seems it might be some time before Oppo gets it right, I spent some time today getting HDR to look as good as I could manage to do.

Device chain is Oppo -> Denon x4200w -> JVC RS500.
Oppo supplied HDMI cable to AVR.
Blue Jeans Series1 25 foot cable from AVR to RS500.

With factory Auto settings, Home screen comes up with no issues. So those with JVC projectors who have issues getting an initial picture with Auto settings...it is your HDMI cable that is most likely not up to snuff.

The following are the output formats I get from the Oppo with various settings:

With Auto settings, Oppo output format:

Home Screen...........4K60 4:2:2 12-bit
UHD Disc.................4K24 4:2:2 BT2020 12-bit HDR
BD Disc...................4K24 4:2:2 BT709 12bit
HDR OFF.................4K24 4:2:2 SDR BT709 12-bit
HDR Strip Metadata..4K24 4:2:2 SDR BT2020 12bit
After stopping disc playback Home screen returns to 4K60 4:2:2 12-bit.


With Display Settings:

Custom Resolution: UHD Auto
Color Space: 4:4:4

Home Screen....4K60 4:4:4 8-bit
UHD Disc..........4K24 4:4:4 BT.2020 12-bit HDR


With Display Settings:

Output Resolution: Source Direct
Custom Resolution: UHD Auto

Menu.............1080p/60
UHD Disc.......4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Blu Ray Disc...1080p/24 4:4:4 12-bit BT709

With everything set to Auto, it appears that the Oppo and RS500 prefer 4:2:2 over 4:4:4 so I will leave it that way for now. I might use Source Direct if I decide that standard Blu Ray at 1080p with JVC e-Shift looks better than the Oppo scaling output to 4K.

UHD HDR looked rather darker than I expected it to. So I performed a quick check this evening with the Masciola HDR 10 Black and White Clipping patterns. Forum thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-patterns.html

RS500 Settings:

Low Lamp
Iris: -5

Gamma D: Picture Tone: +12 Dark Level: +2 Bright Level: +7
BT.2020 Color Profile
Contrast: 10
Brightness: 1

Increased Contrast in the Oppo to +6 to be able to see the 1000 nit square in the white clipping pattern flash and nothing above.
Increased Brightness in the Oppo to +4 to be able to see the 77 bar in the black clipping pattern flash and nothing below.

With these settings I watched scenes from a number of my UHD discs in HDR. It seems to have addressed the overly dark image I had previously noticed.

I was extremely impressed with HDR from Lucy, Kingsman, and Pacific Rim. Star Trek Beyond was still somewhat dark, but it wasn't frustratingly so. It looked like what you would expect to see in low light and at night.

Low Lamp is still plenty bright for me at 16:9 118 inch diagonal. Closing down the iris a bit results in better black levels than at High Lamp and wide open iris which JVC recommends.

I am going to stick with HDR for now. At least until Oppo fixes BT.2020 SDR conversion. But even then I believe I will still enjoy bright and colorful films like Kinsgman a lot more in HDR.
Thanks Claw.
Other than my own post ( #5265 ) on page 176 not many PJ users have provided a detailed list of their settings.
Relative to flat panels projectors are considerably harder to get a good image.
I've tweaked SDR BT2020 to give a satisfactory picture using Strip Metadata in Low Lamp ( -5 ), but I might play around with High Lamp HDR trying some of your suggestions.
IMDave is online now  
post #7375 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 02:45 AM
Member
 
ps2br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello everyone, this player come with Region Free for BD and DVD?
ps2br is offline  
post #7376 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 AM
wl1
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2br View Post
Hello everyone, this player come with Region Free for BD and DVD?


No, but there is a free cd you can burn to get DVD to play, and a couple of options to purchase for BR if that is important too. Internal or external mods. UHD are are not locked in any way.

Ken Kreisel Twin DXD808, Q125 LCR, x4 Q125 TriFX, x4 QFH - for Atmos 7.2.4/Auro 9.2/DTS:X 11.2
Oppo 93 & 203 & Sony VPLHW55ES PJ with Lumagen 2020, 2.35:1 Seymour AT XD screen. Logitech Ultimate One & Hub, SqBox Touch & Philips Hue. Nakamichi AVP1 with Denon X7200WA. With MiniDSP 2x4.
wl1 is offline  
post #7377 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2br View Post
Hello everyone, this player come with Region Free for BD and DVD?
No, but it can be made region free for both using a plug-in board (plugs into a free connector inside the machine) or an external dongle on the RS-232 port.

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=31

If you click on the Download tab, you can see the instructions on how to fit it and switch regions. However, they have forgotten to put a file extension on the file, so after you download it you need to rename it to have .pdf on the end and then you should be able to view it.

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-12-2017 at 02:52 AM.
steverobertsbbc is offline  
post #7378 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Member
 
ps2br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
No, but there is a free cd you can burn to get DVD to play, and a couple of options to purchase for BR if that is important too. Internal or external mods. UHD are are not locked in any way.
Thanks ! Please check your PM .
ps2br is offline  
post #7379 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 AM
Member
 
ps2br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
No, but it can be made region free for both using a plug-in board (plugs into a free connector inside the machine) or an external dongle on the RS-232 port.

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=31

If you click on the Download tab, you can see the instructions on how to fit it and switch regions. However, they have forgotten to put a file extension on the file, so after you download it you need to rename it to have .pdf on the end and then you should be able to view it.
Thanks , will check.
ps2br is offline  
post #7380 of 37039 Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
DaMacFunkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, Not the one by the sea
Posts: 864
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
No, but it can be made region free for both using a plug-in board (plugs into a free connector inside the machine) or an external dongle on the RS-232 port.

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=31

If you click on the Download tab, you can see the instructions on how to fit it and switch regions. However, they have forgotten to put a file extension on the file, so after you download it you need to rename it to have .pdf on the end and then you should be able to view it.
If you have the North American version you can just buy firmware and flash your player, no need to open the unit and start attaching chips.
DaMacFunkin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off