Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279158Likes

post #7531 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I, like others have reported in the past few hours, had a freeze last night. About 5 or 6 minutes into my Pride and Prejudice and Zombies UHD HDR disk last night, the screen went dark and my 203 would not respond to commands from the remote. It also wouldn't respond when I pressed the Eject button on the unit itself. I finally managed to clear the fault by repeatedly pressing the On/Off button until the unit turned off. I then restarted it, ejected the disk, reinserted it, and restarted the film. This time the disk played perfectly in all respects all the way to the end. Go figure. I didn’t bother to clean the disk because this was the second time I had watched this film. It had played perfectly the first time. Sigh, Oppo still has a lot of work to do.

The silver lining in the unfortunateness described above is that the film looked and sounded great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
While Disc Read Error Recovery is happening the player can't respond to normal playback controls because it is trying to find the next portion of the disc it can read.

If you want to power off the player instead of waiting, just press Power once on the Front Panel or Remote and be patient. There's a Power Off Failsafe timer that runs and if the player does not respond normally, after about 15 seconds the timer will force shutdown of the player, regardless. This works even if the player is Crashed. The next power up will be Energy Efficient (i.e., a full reboot) even if you have Network Standby set.
--Bob
I was going to respond that I don't think repeated pressing of the remote power button is a solution. Or of Power on the box. What is needed is a little time and patience for the OPPO to catch up. Bob intervened and confirmed that and provided an actual technical rationale. Thank you, Bob!

My advice was simply from the experience of pressing the remote Power and then getting up, crossing the room to press the box Power only to have the 203 power off as I got there. Similarly, pressing the box power and not getting a response so finally reaching back for the power cord only to have the OPPO power off first. Clearly there is a delay involved. Now Bob has explained to me what that delay involves.

So the general advice is -- be patient -- wait for the power down.
jude924 likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Thanks. I incorrectly thought all since 4K disks are 24Hz that changing the setting wouldn't matter.

Hmm am I wrong about all 4K disks being 24Hz?
The output setting doesn't really have anything to do with the content. For example, I have a 2160p, 60Hz, 10-bit monitor. If using the OPPO with that monitor I would want to set that as my output regardless of whether the content is 24 Hz, 8-bit, or 1080p. The display will only do 60 Hz. The OPPO menu will be in whatever output you set even if you don't play a disc. Therefore, you don't need to even play anything to test an output resolution.

The UHD Blu-ray specification allows for 60 Hz. As far as I can tell, all releases so far have been 24 Hz. Like most Blu-ray concerts, perhaps UHD concerts will be at 60 Hz.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #7533 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow77 View Post
Will wait for Oppo to get a better unit and JVC to get a better 4K Projector.
JVC's new projectors will be released at the end of this month or beginning of February. The RS400/500/600 switch to gamma D, but not to a HDR user profile that includes the BT.2020 color space. The new RS420/RS520/RS620 will automatically switch to an HDR user profile.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7534 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
The only post I can recall by CLAWS on this was referring to HDR Strip Metadata in the 1229B firmware.

The release notes for 1229B state explicitly that a known problem with this Public Beta firmware is that if you engage HDR Strip Metadata you will need to raise Black levels -- either in the player or in the Display. This is, of course, a temporary problem -- specific to this firmware.

If you've found some OTHER problem with black levels for HDR -- that is, when Strip Metadata is NOT in use -- as far as I can recall you are the first person in this thread to report same for the 1229B firmware.

--Bob
Bob, I think he's referring to Post 7360 in this thread, if that helps?

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #7535 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Bob, I think he's referring to Post 7360 in this thread, if that helps?
Thanks, that's helpful. I see now that his last part of that post *WAS* with respect to HDR output (not SDR).

-------------------------------------

CLAW, based on what you've seen with normal HDR output to your JVC with the 1229B Public Beta firmware, do you have reason to believe the 203 is clipping blacks for normal, HDR output -- i.e., with HDR Auto or HDR On set? From your write up, it sounds like you were just doing the normal adjustments in the JVC to establish its HDR picture mode and BT2020 profile.

With my LG E6, I've certainly seen no indications there's anything improper going out for black levels with normal UHD/HDR+BT2020 output from the 203.

Using the HDR Standard picture mode in the LG E6, and with all video processing disabled, I found I had to lower Contrast substantially (from the default 100 down to 87) since otherwise the panel was way too bright for comfortable viewing in a darkened room. And in compensation I also raised Brightness a couple steps (from default 50 to 52) -- but that's nothing out of the ordinary for EITHER of those settings compared to what I'm finding works for calibration of normal, non-HDR content.

The Picture Adjustments in the 203 itself are all left at the Factory Default (0) values.
--Bob
diverdra likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #7536 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I was going to respond that I don't think repeated pressing of the remote power button is a solution. Or of Power on the box. What is needed is a little time and patience for the OPPO to catch up. Bob intervened and confirmed that and provided an actual technical rationale. Thank you, Bob!

My advice was simply from the experience of pressing the remote Power and then getting up, crossing the room to press the box Power only to have the 203 power off as I got there. Similarly, pressing the box power and not getting a response so finally reaching back for the power cord only to have the OPPO power off first. Clearly there is a delay involved. Now Bob has explained to me what that delay involves.

So the general advice is -- be patient -- wait for the power down.
Yeah, I understood when I was pushing the On/Off button on the unit that I was probably either wasting my time or just giving myself something to do with my hands while waiting to learn whether the player would eventually turn itself off. Now I'm waiting to see where the next glitch arises.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #7537 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful. I see now that his last part of that post *WAS* with respect to HDR output (not SDR).

-------------------------------------

CLAW, based on what you've seen with normal HDR output to your JVC with the 1229B Public Beta firmware, do you have reason to believe the 203 is clipping blacks for normal, HDR output -- i.e., with HDR Auto or HDR On set? From your write up, it sounds like you were just doing the normal adjustments in the JVC to establish its HDR picture mode and BT2020 profile.

With my LG E6, I've certainly seen no indications there's anything improper going out for black levels with normal UHD/HDR+BT2020 output from the 203.

Using the HDR Standard picture mode in the LG E6, and with all video processing disabled, I found I had to lower Contrast substantially (from the default 100 down to 87) since otherwise the panel was way too bright for comfortable viewing in a darkened room. And in compensation I also raised Brightness a couple steps (from default 50 to 52) -- but that's nothing out of the ordinary for EITHER of those settings compared to what I'm finding works for calibration of normal, non-HDR content.

The Picture Adjustments in the 203 itself are all left at the Factory Default (0) values.
--Bob
Yes, I would consider what I did to be typical adjustments for HDR with the JVC projector. I did make the contrast and brightness adjustments in the Oppo instead of the JVC. I could have performed them in the JVC instead but chose otherwise. I had to do the same for the Samsung player. I will leave it to others to determine whether the Oppo has black clipping issues or not.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #7538 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Is anyone here using their 203 with a Sonos Playbar?
Since the Playbar only has a single optical input, it can't handle anything other than PCM or Dolby Digital 5.1 (a huge oversight IMHO).
I'm trying to confirm if the 203 is able to downmix DTS and Atmos audio to Dolby Dogital 5.1?

Thanks.

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50
post #7539 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
Since the Playbar only has a single optical input, it can't handle anything other than PCM or Dolby Digital 5.1 (a huge oversight IMHO).
I'm trying to confirm if the 203 is able to downmix DTS and Atmos audio to Dolby Dogital 5.1?

Thanks.
Not quite. DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD HR tracks will go out on Optical as traditional, lossy, DTS 5.1. Any traditional, lossy DTS track you select will go out as itself. There is no option to convert any of those to DD 5.1 for output.

Dolby TrueHD tracks (which includes Atmos tracks) will go out on Optical as traditional, lossy DD 5.1

Basically, what you are getting in both cases is the "compatibility" track which is always included on the disc along with the high bit-rate, lossless track.

My understanding is that Samsung's UHD player does have an option to convert to DD 5.1 so that may be a better option for you if you are committed to continuing with that limited-functionality soundbar.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7540 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
jmf966, I just came across this post and was hoping you could provide some more info. How do you get PGS subs to show up on your Oppo's from MKV files played via DLNA? I have over 500 lossless Blu-ray rips in MKV format and the PGS subtitles have never played for me on either of my BDP-103D's using Plex as the DLNA client. Text based subtitles formats like .SRT are fine, but image based ones like PGS don't play for me (I've read that they play with local storage like USB, or via SMB shares, but that is meaningless to me).

Can you let me know what DLNA server you are using and how you rip your MKV files? I'm hoping I've been missing something that will allow this to work for me.

Finally, I'm assuming the issue reported here with the 203 and PGS subs is the same one that has existed on previous players when trying to play them via DLNA. If this was fixed on the 203, that feature alone would make it worthwhile for me to pick one up.

I'm using MakeMKV to rip the BR discs. Nothing done to the file afterwards. I use JRiver Media Center which runs on my media server and acts as a DLNA server as well. It's presenting the stream untouched. Maybe Plex is transcoding it first for you. Forced subtitles don't work properly over DLNA or locally though, which is why I typically use my JRiver client HTPC. The Oppo is just for spinning plastic.
post #7541 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I can also test this later today. PGS subtitles work over SMB but I can't remember trying them with DLNA.

-Bill
Thanks, Bill. If you see this working on any Oppo player I would be very interested. The weird thing is PGS subtitles work within the Plex Web App. Given it works there, I can't understand why it doesn't work on my Oppo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf866 View Post
I'm using MakeMKV to rip the BR discs. Nothing done to the file afterwards. I use JRiver Media Center which runs on my media server and acts as a DLNA server as well. It's presenting the stream untouched. Maybe Plex is transcoding it first for you. Forced subtitles don't work properly over DLNA or locally though, which is why I typically use my JRiver client HTPC. The Oppo is just for spinning plastic.
Thanks, jmf866. I also use MakeMKV so everything is the same up to that point. The main difference here is you are using JRiver (which I actually use for music in my house) whereas I'm using Plex for the DLNA server. I'm pretty sure my streams are being sent without being transcoded as I have a fairly powerful Dual Xeon CPU on the server and I'm running on a strong network. That said, I'm going to try a test with JRiver as the DLNA server to see if I see a difference. If it works with JRiver as the DLNA server, and I already know it's working on the Plex Web App, then I have to think it's an issue with the Oppo playing PGS subtitles over a DLNA network.

If PGS subs were conformed as working with MKV files over a DLNA network on the 203 I'd run out an pick one up immediately as that's the biggest issue I have with my BDP-103D's. My playback is 90% MKV Blu-ray files and 10% spinning discs so this becomes an issue for any foreign movies with subs or movies with forced subs. My current workaround is download an SRT file and add it to the folder or embed it in the MKV file. With another 500 Blu-ray's to rip I'd prefer not to have to do this anymore.
post #7542 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Folks, I'm trying to make sure that my projector is doing the right thing. I'm using a JVC RS400, with the OPPO set to Strip Metadata. My projector is set with the BT. 2020 color profile. I've got the OPPO set to auto on the color depth as well auto color spacing.

My projector is showing Yuv as the color space and deep color is grayed out. The projector doesn't tell me if I'm running in 8,10,or 12bit though the OPPO info menu shows output as either 10 or 12 bit depending on the source. Does this sound like what I should be seeing.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #7543 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4644 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Thanks, Bill. If you see this working on any Oppo player I would be very interested. The weird thing is PGS subtitles work within the Plex Web App. Given it works there, I can't understand why it doesn't work on my Oppo's.

Thanks, jmf866. I also use MakeMKV so everything is the same up to that point. The main difference here is you are using JRiver (which I actually use for music in my house) whereas I'm using Plex for the DLNA server. I'm pretty sure my streams are being sent without being transcoded as I have a fairly powerful Dual Xeon CPU on the server and I'm running on a strong network. That said, I'm going to try a test with JRiver as the DLNA server to see if I see a difference. If it works with JRiver as the DLNA server, and I already know it's working on the Plex Web App, then I have to think it's an issue with the Oppo playing PGS subtitles over a DLNA network.

If PGS subs were conformed as working with MKV files over a DLNA network on the 203 I'd run out an pick one up immediately as that's the biggest issue I have with my BDP-103D's. My playback is 90% MKV Blu-ray files and 10% spinning discs so this becomes an issue for any foreign movies with subs or movies with forced subs. My current workaround is download an SRT file and add it to the folder or embed it in the MKV file. With another 500 Blu-ray's to rip I'd prefer not to have to do this anymore.
Using minidlna for testing I'm getting PGS subtitles on both the 103D and the 203. I wonder if Plex has some sort of profile that delivers different goods to different devices?

I do find that the 203 does not see MKV chapters over DLNA and the 103D does. I'll report that.

SMB also works for both players, no trouble with subtitles or chapters.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 01-13-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #7544 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
JVC's new projectors will be released at the end of this month or beginning of February. The RS400/500/600 switch to gamma D, but not to a HDR user profile that includes the BT.2020 color space. The new RS420/RS520/RS620 will automatically switch to an HDR user profile.
so are you saying the new pj will already have the BT2020 software installed? Reason I ask is because me trying to install that is dangerous. I might sell my 40 hour rs 400 and buy the 420
post #7545 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow77 View Post
so are you saying the new pj will already have the BT2020 software installed? Reason I ask is because me trying to install that is dangerous. I might sell my 40 hour rs 400 and buy the 420
The currently shipping RS400's also have the BT.2020 color profile installed. However, you need to manually select it each time. The RS420's will be more automatic for HDR.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
post #7546 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
HDR is not plug-and-play with the JVC projectors. The projector will auto-switch to Gamma D, but you need to adjust the Gamma D settings and also import a BT.2020 color profile if you have an early manufactured unit that does not have the profile preloaded. See this JVC link for instructions for viewing HDR:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

Even after the projector is configured with the JVC recommended settings for HDR, some of us are finding that contrast and brightness may still need some tweaking using the R.Masciola HDR 10 test patterns.
so with this new 2020 is your picture nice and bright like a 1080p movie? Can you tell any difference between it and 4k?
diverdra likes this.
post #7547 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Does everyone recommend using the new public firmware update? Has it proven to be helpful and not buggy? Thank you for your replies!
post #7548 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Its better than the one before it, but it aint perfect!
budeone, gwsat and Bigmoviefan like this.
post #7549 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Does everyone recommend using the new public firmware update? Has it proven to be helpful and not buggy? Thank you for your replies!
I strongly recommend you update to Public Beta 1229B.
--Bob

post #7550 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4992 Post(s)
Liked: 3832
I'm not sure if I should post this here or on the JVC RS500 thread but thought I would start here --- and there.

I purchased and downloaded R Masciola's HDR10 files to calibrate my RS500. I placed the files on a thumb drive (Oppo 203), placed it in the front USB slot of the 203 and the Oppo basically becomes inoperative (and no image on the screen) at that point and will not respond to any of my commands from the remote. Once I remove the thumb drive, it all works again.

Any ideas? The only information I got from the user manual on this issue was the possibility of an incompatible thumb drive.
post #7551 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post

Thanks.
1- As Bob said, the 203 can output a Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream via optical. It can also output 2 channel LPCM over optical but not 5.1 LPCM over optical.

2- Not all soundtracks are Dolby, there's also DTS and the Playbar cannot handle DTS bitstreams. That isn't because it only has a single optical input, it's because Sonos did not include a decoder for DTS soundtracks. There is no way of converting a DTS soundtrack to a Dolby Digital soundtrack that I am aware of so if you're trying to make up your mind about which UHD player to buy you should see if any of the other players can output 5.1 LPCM over optical. If they can, and if you're using your Playbar in conjunction with other Sonos speakers in a surround setup then you'd be better off choosing a player which can output 5.1 LPCM over optical.

3- If you're using the Playbar purely in stereo mode, with or without the sub, then you would be better off setting the 203's optical output to LPCM because then you would not have to worry about continually swapping the output setting between bitstream and LPCM depending on whether you're playing a Dolby or a DTS soundtrack.

Last edited by David Aiken; 01-13-2017 at 02:33 PM.
post #7552 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
--Bob
thank you for the reply and recommendation Bob!
post #7553 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
--Bob
Do you have any idea when this will be available non-beta through firmware update via internet?
post #7554 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 442
@claw and @Bob Pariseau : Really appreciate the explanation of why short HDMI cables can be as big a problem as "too long". Finally makes sense. My 18" BJC Series 1 was for exactly the reason cited by @DIP pel. But I was also looking at it through the old analog "shorter is better" lens. Bought 2 BJC 5' series FE when they were first available (knew BJC believed the series 1 would probably pass the signal), then 2 Monoprice 6' "just in case" when I needed to replace the 12' BJC series 1 with a 20' to the PJ. Now have the 6' Oppo-supplied cable. I'm really fixed up, but the back of the rack looks like a bowl of spaghetti with 9 balanced connectors, 4 RCA (all thankfully the shortest length possible), 13 speaker pairs, 3 HDMI cables and 6 power cords. 2 of the three HDMI cables are rack interconnects that are within 1.5'. I'm presuming that it would be better to let the extra length hang in a loop than to cable tie them into a circle? Perhaps a 5' cable would benefit from being in a circle as it would more closely approximate the losses of a straight 6'?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #7555 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
So tried something different w/my settings for the 203 & my SonyX930D today. Went with source direct on the 203, made a few changes via the Sony HDR menu, & BOOM, prior issues with softness, clarity simply vanished! PQ now looks crisp, clear, & a picture we should all expect from 4K HDR discs. However, the zoom feature is lost when utilizing source direct (which I really like BTW)), but for now, that's OK. At least for my setup, it's made a real difference!
post #7556 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm not sure if I should post this here or on the JVC RS500 thread but thought I would start here --- and there.

I purchased and downloaded R Masciola's HDR10 files to calibrate my RS500. I placed the files on a thumb drive (Oppo 203), placed it in the front USB slot of the 203 and the Oppo basically becomes inoperative (and no image on the screen) at that point and will not respond to any of my commands from the remote. Once I remove the thumb drive, it all works again.

Any ideas? The only information I got from the user manual on this issue was the possibility of an incompatible thumb drive.
Sure sounds like the thumb drive to me. What can you tell us about it?
post #7557 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
--Bob
I'm on the new public beta. Watched Da Vinci code UHD 4K with HDR off. Way too dark. Watched the BluRay disc. Much brighter and frankly better picture. My .02
budeone likes this.

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"

Last edited by Carter D; 01-13-2017 at 02:56 PM.
post #7558 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
So tried something different w/my settings for the 203 & my SonyX930D today. Went with source direct on the 203, made a few changes via the Sony HDR menu, & BOOM, prior issues with softness, clarity simply vanished! PQ now looks crisp, clear, & a picture we should all expect from 4K HDR discs. However, the zoom feature is lost when utilizing source direct (which I really like BTW)), but for now, that's OK. At least for my setup, it's made a real difference!
You just need to figure out what the TV is receiving that it likes so much and have the player explicitly send that. The player is sending UHD in both cases so you have some other setting that's the issue. Use the extended info display on the Oppo to see what's being sent.
Bob Pariseau likes this.
post #7559 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
I'm on the new public beta. Watched Da Vinci code on 4K with HDR off. Way too dark. Watched the BluRay disc. Much brighter and frankly better picture. My .02
Did you mean HDR OFF or HDR Strip Metadata?

Assuming you meant Off as you wrote, I've seen a lot of reports of various HDR discs looking too dark when converted to SDR (on other players). My guess would be the studios aren't paying any attention to this legacy style playback of their new discs. Particularly since they force you to pay for the regular Blu-ray in the same package. But I don't recall seeing any reports on this specific disc.
--Bob

post #7560 of 37235 Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Do you have any idea when this will be available non-beta through firmware update via internet?
There will most likely be additional beta versions before we see a non-beta version. The nice thing with betas is that if you find an issue that's a showstopper for you, you can roll back to the last official, non-beta, release. You can't roll back the non-beta releases once you install them. As Bob said, it's highly recommended to use the 1229B release at this time as it's a HUGE improvement over the prior versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page