Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279151Likes

post #7561 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Do you have any idea when this will be available non-beta through firmware update via internet?
My expectation is that there will be at least one more Public Beta release before the next Official firmware. That's just a guess.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Folks, I'm trying to make sure that my projector is doing the right thing. I'm using a JVC RS400, with the OPPO set to Strip Metadata. My projector is set with the BT. 2020 color profile. I've got the OPPO set to auto on the color depth as well auto color spacing.

My projector is showing Yuv as the color space and deep color is grayed out. The projector doesn't tell me if I'm running in 8,10,or 12bit though the OPPO info menu shows output as either 10 or 12 bit depending on the source. Does this sound like what I should be seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post

Originally Posted by nathan_h
It is interesting that with the beta firmware on the Oppo, I am not seeing the old lit up "deep color" note on the JVC RS500 info screen. It is, instead, grayed out, when running in rec2020, meta-data-stripped mode. Note that "grayed out" on the JVC doesn't necessarily mean "not present". For example, when HDR is not present, the words are literally not displayed at all -- not just grayed out.

This is different from what the JVC displayed on the old production Oppo firmware, where the color info on the JVC info screen used to have a highlighted color info entry. (My memory is bad but I want to say it indicated 12 bit deep color. I could be remembering wrong.)

Originally Posted by IMDave
With my JVC X7000/RS500 the only time the Colour Space bit rate is displayed in the Information tab is when I have the JVC input set to 4:4:4 ( ie NOT Auto and 4:4:2). Unfortunately, due to cabling issues, to get 4:4:4 out of the Oppo I need to be in Source Direct and have the movie playing ( ie it shows a black screen for the UHD 50hz Menu screen if I'm in Custom).
Since the Picture Adjustment options don't work in Source Direct, I'm prepared to sacrifice not knowing what my bit rate is so I can use Custom.
YMMV.
If Deep Color is grayed out, it is because the JVC is receiving 4:2:2 12-bit. 12-bit is the only valid depth for 4:2:2.

The JVC manual documents this on page 56.

Deep Color
Displays the color bit depth of the input video signal.

- Not displayed when YCbCr (4:2:2) is input.
post #7563 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Folks, I'm trying to make sure that my projector is doing the right thing. I'm using a JVC RS400, with the OPPO set to Strip Metadata. My projector is set with the BT. 2020 color profile. I've got the OPPO set to auto on the color depth as well auto color spacing.

My projector is showing Yuv as the color space and deep color is grayed out. The projector doesn't tell me if I'm running in 8,10,or 12bit though the OPPO info menu shows output as either 10 or 12 bit depending on the source. Does this sound like what I should be seeing.
I think someone mentioned the JVC RS400 bit depth will be greyed out if it's sent 422/10 bit.
You can force the Oppo to send 12 bit, and it'll show up.
I've seen 12 bit on mine for certain when doing custom/UHD/set bit.
When stripping metadata Oppo suggests upping the brightness on the player to +6-+8, as it's still too dark(D)
They are still working on Strip.
You could always run strip and choose another Gamma setting.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7564 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Did you mean HDR OFF or HDR Strip Metadata?

Assuming you meant Off as you wrote, I've seen a lot of reports of various HDR discs looking too dark when converted to SDR (on other players). My guess would be the studios aren't paying any attention to this legacy style playback of their new discs. Particularly since they force you to pay for the regular Blu-ray in the same package. But I don't recall seeing any reports on this specific disc.
--Bob
HDR off Bob. Thanks for your help. The upscaling of 1080P content is fabulous. BluRay version looked way better, but I'm not sure if brighter looks better to me. All my displays are on torch mode. Just my aging eyes I guess. You are one of the go to guys for answers here. Thanks very much.
Carter

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #7565 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
HDR off Bob. Thanks for your help. The upscaling of 1080P content is fabulous. BluRay version looked way better, but I'm not sure if brighter looks better to me. All my displays are on torch mode. Just my aging eyes I guess. You are one of the go to guys for answers here. Thanks very much.
Carter
Have you tried Strip Metadata with BT2020 color on Gamma A?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #7566 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
1- As Bob said, the 203 can output a Dolby Digital 5.1 bitstream via optical. It can also output 2 channel LPCM over optical but not 5.1 LPCM over optical.

2- Not all soundtracks are Dolby, there's also DTS and the Playbar cannot handle DTS bitstreams. That isn't because it only has a single optical input, it's because Sonos did not include a decoder for DTS soundtracks. There is no way of converting a DTS soundtrack to a Dolby Digital soundtrack that I am aware of so if you're trying to make up your mind about which UHD player to buy you should see if any of the other players can output 5.1 LPCM over optical. If they can, and if you're using your Playbar in conjunction with other Sonos speakers in a surround setup then you'd be better off choosing a player which can output 5.1 LPCM over optical.

3- If you're using the Playbar purely in stereo mode, with or without the sub, then you would be better off setting the 203's optical output to LPCM because then you would not have to worry about continually swapping the output setting between bitstream and LPCM depending on whether you're playing a Dolby or a DTS soundtrack.
After reading Bob's response, I was under the impression that the 203 wouldn't be able to convert, or downmix to DD5.1?
Geese, there's so many audio formats. After AC-3, ATSC, PCM, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, etc. LPCM is a new one for me.

I think I'm going to wait for more details to be released on the new UHD players that were announced recently at CES. I don't like the Samsung K8500 because it doesn't support HDR10 & Dolby Vision. Since my TV does both, I want a player that supports both also. The LG UP970 holds some promise.

Update:
I just got a reply from Oppo support about this. Darn. Looks like I have to look elsewhere for a UHD player.
"Unfortunately the player will not support Dolby Digital to DTS or DTS to Dolby Digital. This is something that has been requested of us, but not something that we can guarantee. Otherwise, you can output in Stereo LPCM for audio formats that are not supported by the Sonos."

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c, KEF R50

Last edited by tpro8; 01-13-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #7567 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
After reading Bob's response, I was under the impression that the 203 wouldn't be able to convert, or downmix to DD5.1?
Geese, there's so many audio formats. After AC-3, ATSC, PCM, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, etc. LPCM is a new one for me.

I think I'm going to wait for more details to be released on the new UHD players that were announced recently at CES. I don't like the Samsung K8500 because it doesn't support HDR10 & Dolby Vision. Since my TV does both, I want a player that supports both also. The LG UP970 holds some promise.
LPCM (often just called PCM) is the simplest form of digital audio. One LPCM stream per speaker channel. Although simple, it is not particularly compact. Thus you have the Bitstream formats which are ways of packaging up a set of LPCM streams into something more compact.

The legacy formats are DD and DTS. They achieve some of their compactness by being "lossy" in the sense that when decoded back into LPCM you don't get the same LPCM that went into the encoder in the first place. The stuff that's "lost" is cleverly chosen to be hard to hear.

DD+ is also "lossy" but higher bit rate than normal DD.

The newer formats are "lossless" in the sense that you get the same LPCM out on decoding as went into the encoder when the studio created the bitstream. Note that "lossless" is not the same as "sounds good". You can make a "lossless" bitstream out of pure garbage, and what you'll get when you play that bitstream is the identical garbage.

The DTS version of that is DTS-HD MA (MA for "master audio" -- gotta love the marketing guys). The Dolby version of that is TrueHD. Atmos is a variant of a TrueHD 7.1 bitstream.

The lossless tracks can't play on all hardware, and can't even be carried across all types of cabling. So both DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are paired with a "compatibility" track -- DTS and DD respectively.

Optical cable is one of those cabling types that can't carry the lossless tracks. It can carry LPCM 2.0 (stereo LPCM) or DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1.

The OPPO can be set to send either LPCM or Bitstream out the Optical digital audio output. If you set it to Bitstream and play a Bitstream track you will get a DTS or DD bitstream -- the one that matches closest to the source content.

If the OPPO is set to LPCM output on the Optical digital audio output, you will get a stereo down-mix of whatever track you have selected to play -- presented on the Optical cable as LPCM 2.0.

So there's no setting in the OPPO to play a DTS style bitstream as DD on the Optical output, but if you are OK with just stereo audio as the result you can get LPCM 2.0 from any of the movie audio tracks the OPPO can play.

Music is dicier. Both SACD and DVD-Audio discs have licensing restrictions which keep the player from putting out audio on Optical cabling. The basic problem being the lack of Copy Protection on that type of cabling.
--Bob
Brandon B, Ted99, jpicc50 and 1 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7568 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Seriously, your real problem here is not the player choice. It's that soundbar. You are really doing a disservice to yourself by limiting your audio to that type of hardware. A big factor in the enjoyment of modern movie discs is the quality audio tracks found on them.

I'd recommend you look to upgrading your audio setup first. Then your player choice will be simpler too.
--Bob

post #7569 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Thanks Muzz. That's the next step tomorrow.
muzz likes this.

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #7570 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post

1- LPCM isn't new, it's just what PCM gets called when it's on a DVD/BD/UHD disc rather than on a CD. It's what you'll see in the audio menu options on all DVD/BD/UHD players but it's just PCM.

2- the first big issue for you is the lack of support by Sonos for DTS soundtracks. Regardless of what player you choose, you're either going to have to swap between bitstream output for Dolby soundtracks and LPCM output for DTS soundtracks, or just use LPCM output for all soundtracks. You don't lose quality by choosing LPCM because the Dolby soundtracks have to be decoded to LPCM before they can be passed to the DAC in your Playbar so really the only question is whether you let the Playbar do that or you do it in the UHD player.

3- the second big issue for you comes if you're using the Playbar in a surround setup because, as I said, you can't get get 5.1 LPCM output over optical from the 203. You can over HDMI.

4- What you may be able to do, regardless of whichever UHD player you get, is to use HDMI to pass both audio and video to your TV and it may be possible to pass 5.1 LPCM over optical from the TV to the Playbar. You'll need to check your TV's capabilities to see if that is possible. Since the Playbar only has 1 optical input you may be better off feeding audio from all your sources to the TV and then passing audio from the TV to the Playbar over optical because that will give access to the Playbar for all of your sources. You'll need to check your TV's manual for info about what you can and can't output via its optical output.

5- The Samsung K8500 does support HDR10. HDR10 support is mandatory for all UHD players so every UHD player has it, and every UHD TV has it. Dolby Vision is optional. So far the 2203 and the LG are the only 2 players I know of which will support DV. FWIW, I don't like the Samsung anyway. I bought one when I got my LG OLED because I wanted to be able to watch UHD discs while I waited for Oppo to release a player. The lack of information in the manual, the minimal information display and lack of an LCD display on the player, and the incredibly bad remote all annoyed me like mad. I was very happy to get my 203.

I can understand people choosing a playbar for convenience and to save space but that single optical input on the Sonos Playbar is incredibly limiting and restricts your options drastically.
post #7571 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You just need to figure out what the TV is receiving that it likes so much and have the player explicitly send that. The player is sending UHD in both cases so you have some other setting that's the issue. Use the extended info display on the Oppo to see what's being sent.
Sure; That's easy-HDMI Main:4K*[email protected]:2:2 12b. That's what is being sent my Friend, & the PQ is Spectacular! Look forward to any more questions you might have. Jerry
jude924 likes this.
post #7572 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
^ Seriously, your real problem here is not the player choice. It's that soundbar. You are really doing a disservice to yourself by limiting your audio to that type of hardware. A big factor in the enjoyment of modern movie discs is the quality audio tracks found on them.

I'd recommend you look to upgrading your audio setup first. Then your player choice will be simpler too.
--Bob
It's a shame Sonos has the product setup that way because it's really got a lot of positives going for it. Almost bought my mom one and wound up going for the Martin Logan instead. She's rocking now.

I guess it's a tangent, but I'm audio shopping to find something to mate with the 203 now that I'm in the Atmos world there. Not sure I want to commit to a new AVR and the whole setup just yet, so if anyone has used the 203 with any of the new Atmos enabled soundbars I'd greatly appreciate a PM.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #7573 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Two issues I ran into the other night:

1) Magnificent Seven - lost audio sync one time; moving back a few seconds resolved. The main issue with this movie was it was just too dark (4k hdr version). I had to up the Brightness +8 but still felt I was losing some of the black detail, mainly with Denzel Washington character's black outfit. Most (all?) settings on AUTO.

2) Watching The Martian 4k extended version - for kicks and grins, wanted to see what would happen selecting 3D on the Oppo. Didn't seem to do much, but when I switched the 3D off, the lower third of the image displayed what could best be described as a brown layer of video processing. If I paused the movie, this went away after a second. Press Play and the brown layer came back. Again, not a huge issue since this isn't a 3D and I was just playing around with some of the settings, but an interesting observation none-the-less.

Running the video directly into my LG8500 using the HDMI cable supplied by Oppo and a 2nd HDMI Monoprice certified premium cable into my older Yamaha receiver for sound. Wasn't sure I really needed a certified premium cable just for the audio, but after the issues I'd had on some previous 4k discs (Lucy, Pacific Rim) decided nothing less than the best available certified premium cable would suffice.

The 7.1 audio (non ATMOS) on the 4k discs has been really impressive on this player. Also, played the 3D disc of The Force Awakens and only had one glitch at the beginning where the movie wouldn't start playing. Ejected the tray, closed and it then proceeded to play without issue.
marcuslaw likes this.
post #7574 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 86
For those who own Deadpool UHD movie chapter 1 for example......in the car when you look at the window the OPPO has this weird almost patches of not so clean artifacts appearing every few seconds or so. What the heck is this because I tested it w/ my Xbox One S and I don't notice it at all if any. All of my settings are pretty much the same as the unofficial frequently asked questions settings.

FYI, I sometimes see it with other movies at a certain brief scene but thought it was my LG tv only but now not anymore.

Update - It's motionflow settings w/ dejudder even at its lowest setting 1 will cause artifacts.

LG C9 & UB9000
LG C8 & UB820
Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation & Ultra Series, HSU Subwoofer, Emotiva

Last edited by airborn007; 01-13-2017 at 09:53 PM.
post #7575 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barthel View Post
Two issues I ran into the other night:

1) Magnificent Seven - lost audio sync one time; moving back a few seconds resolved. The main issue with this movie was it was just too dark (4k hdr version). I had to up the Brightness +8 but still felt I was losing some of the black detail, mainly with Denzel Washington character's black outfit. Most (all?) settings on AUTO.
If you have a SONY UHD disc, such as SALT, when the movie menu appears, use the keypad on the remote and type the code 7669 (SONY), it will provide some calibration tools. Use the FFW button to move through each pattern until you get to the brightness pattern. There will be multiple bars. 0.000, 0.001, 0.002, etc. Set brightness to where you can't see 0.000 which is black. You might not see the low numbers, but 0.010 which is 1% black should become visible. You may have to hit pause while you adjust because it does not stay on each pattern for very long.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #7576 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3819
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post
For those who own Deadpool UHD movie chapter 1 for example......in the car when you look at the window the OPPO has this weird almost patches of not so clean artifacts appearing every few seconds or so. What the heck is this because I tested it w/ my Xbox One S and I don't notice it at all if any. All of my settings are pretty much the same as the unofficial frequently asked questions settings.

FYI, I sometimes see it with other movies at a certain brief scene but thought it was my LG tv only but now not anymore.
X Box one may using some sort of NR, and that's why you cant see it. I don't think the OPPO does, so you are seeing exactly what is on the movie. The LG makes those near black flaws more obvious.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #7577 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
X Box one may using some sort of NR, and that's why you cant see it. I don't think the OPPO does, so you are seeing exactly what is on the movie. The LG makes those near black flaws more obvious.
Ok looks like I didn't do my homework enough and it could be related to motion flow settings etc. I guess the OPPO was cleaner and sharper and so I noticed those artifacts more. I'm now seeing it w/ the Xbox too.

Thanks wxman this movie is so clean I didn't expect to have ie....noise reduction.

LG C9 & UB9000
LG C8 & UB820
Denon AVR, SVS Prime Elevation & Ultra Series, HSU Subwoofer, Emotiva

Last edited by airborn007; 01-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.
post #7578 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
So tried something different w/my settings for the 203 & my SonyX930D today. Went with source direct on the 203, made a few changes via the Sony HDR menu, & BOOM, prior issues with softness, clarity simply vanished! PQ now looks crisp, clear, & a picture we should all expect from 4K HDR discs. However, the zoom feature is lost when utilizing source direct (which I really like BTW)), but for now, that's OK. At least for my setup, it's made a real difference!

What settings did you change and what did you set them to? I'm having the same problems with darkness, softness, etc.. on my SonyX850C.

Emotiva MC-700, XPA-2, XPA-3, OPPO UDP-203, minidsp DDRC-88A/BM, Polk Audio RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, Epik Knight, Sony XBR65X850C, DirecTV C61K (4K Genie Mini), APC H15, Emotiva CMX-2, Harmony Touch, Emotiva X-series Cables
post #7579 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Pleased to be among first to get the Canadian shipment - technically my third UHD, as I'd tried out the Samsung and Panny before hand. Disc playback is quick, and even DLNA is far better than my 105 for speed (of course). Playback of 4k demo files far better than the other two players.

I kept up for a while in the other thread, but now with launch it's been more sporadic - is there a cheat sheet for settings for a few of the more popular sets? My usual tendency is to leave it all at auto for HDMI/colourspace/etc. but I know there's been some funkiness pending FW updates.

Set is 65E6p if people have suggested settings that'd be helpful.
diverdra and jude924 like this.

post #7580 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post
Pleased to be among first to get the Canadian shipment - technically my third UHD, as I'd tried out the Samsung and Panny before hand. Disc playback is quick, and even DLNA is far better than my 105 for speed (of course). Playback of 4k demo files far better than the other two players.

I kept up for a while in the other thread, but now with launch it's been more sporadic - is there a cheat sheet for settings for a few of the more popular sets? My usual tendency is to leave it all at auto for HDMI/colourspace/etc. but I know there's been some funkiness pending FW updates.

Set is 65E6p if people have suggested settings that'd be helpful.
See the FAQ: Recommended Settings.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7581 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Sure; That's easy-HDMI Main:4K*[email protected]:2:2 12b. That's what is being sent my Friend, & the PQ is Spectacular! Look forward to any more questions you might have. Jerry
Now that you know that's what works best with your Display you can set that explicitly instead of Source Direct, and thus, for example, not lose the Zoom feature you mentioned:

Custom > UHD Auto, Color Space 4:2:2, Color Depth 12b.

--Bob
Clark Burk and gwsat like this.

post #7582 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barthel View Post
. . . .
2) Watching The Martian 4k extended version - for kicks and grins, wanted to see what would happen selecting 3D on the Oppo. Didn't seem to do much, but when I switched the 3D off, the lower third of the image displayed what could best be described as a brown layer of video processing. If I paused the movie, this went away after a second. Press Play and the brown layer came back. Again, not a huge issue since this isn't a 3D and I was just playing around with some of the settings, but an interesting observation none-the-less.

Running the video directly into my LG8500 using the HDMI cable supplied by Oppo and a 2nd HDMI Monoprice certified premium cable into my older Yamaha receiver for sound. Wasn't sure I really needed a certified premium cable just for the audio, but after the issues I'd had on some previous 4k discs (Lucy, Pacific Rim) decided nothing less than the best available certified premium cable would suffice.
. . .
For the 2016 OLED Panels LG just put out a firmware fix for discoloration of the bottom of the image which can appear when switching from 3D back to 2D "on the fly". It's possible your LG8500 has the same issue?
--Bob
budeone likes this.

post #7583 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn007 View Post

I've played the beginning of that UHD into my LG E6 many times and have not seen any artifacts such as you describe. Can you list a few specific time codes where you are seeing this?

NOTE: If you have TruMotion turned on in your LG while playing this, try turning it OFF and see if the artifacts go away. Indeed it's best to try turning off ALL the video "enhancement" options to see if the artifacts are due to any of those. You'll actually have to have the UHD disc playing to get access to the Picture Mode settings used in the LG for HDR content.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-13-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #7584 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now that you know that's what works best with your Display you can set that explicitly instead of Source Direct, and thus, for example, not lose the Zoom feature you mentioned:

Custom > UHD Auto, Color Space 4:2:2, Color Depth 12b.

--Bob
Been there, done that. PQ is marginal. After an email to Oppo, received this response "4K to 2K is not producing the results that we had designed, so we are looking into resolving this through a future firmware release" So Bob, problem understood by the folks @ Oppo.
Until then, I'll stay w/source direct, & let my Sony do the upscaling.
Thanks for All Your Help! Jerry
post #7585 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I think someone mentioned the JVC RS400 bit depth will be greyed out if it's sent 422/10 bit.
You can force the Oppo to send 12 bit, and it'll show up.
I've seen 12 bit on mine for certain when doing custom/UHD/set bit.
When stripping metadata Oppo suggests upping the brightness on the player to +6-+8, as it's still too dark(D)
They are still working on Strip.
You could always run strip and choose another Gamma setting.
4:4:4 is valid for HDMI at 8, 10, and 12 bit.
4.2:0 can be 8, 10, or 12 bit.
4:2:2 is only valid for HDMI at 12 bit.

I can imagine some engineer at JVC thinking to himself... If 4:2:2 is only valid at 12 bit, then there is no deeper bit depth or less deep bit depth possible. I think I will gray out the Deep Color label on the screen to prevent confusion.

So you will see 12 bit reported when the color space is 4:2:0 or 4:4:4. But never when the color space is 4:2:2.
AllenA07 likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-13-2017 at 07:51 PM.
post #7586 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Been there, done that. PQ is marginal. After an email to Oppo, received this response "4K to 2K is not producing the results that we had designed, so we are looking into resolving this through a future firmware release" So Bob, problem understood by the folks @ Oppo.
Until then, I'll stay w/source direct, & let my Sony do the upscaling.
Thanks for All Your Help! Jerry
Uh, you've lost me there.

You have a 4K Display and you are playing UHD discs, right? So there is no 4K to 1080p conversion happening in the OPPO when you use the settings I stated, and Source Direct is also sending that same 4K to your Display, so there's no upscaling for your Display to do, either.

You said that Source Direct was sending out 4K/24 4:2:2 12b. Which is exactly what you will get with the settings I gave you.
-Bob

post #7587 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Uh, you've lost me there.

You have a 4K Display and you are playing UHD discs, right? So there is no 4K to 1080p conversion happening in the OPPO when you use the settings I stated, and Source Direct is also sending that same 4K to your Display, so there's no upscaling for your Display to do, either.

You said that Source Direct was sending out 4K/24 4:2:2 12b. Which is exactly what you will get with the settings I gave you.
-Bob
Bob; Understand completely. I've owned the 203 for a month now. Have tried your suggested settings & others, but source direct w/my SonyX930D simply presents the very best PQ I could ever imagine.
This TV simply upscales 4K HDR images far better than the player.
Anyway, thanks again for all the input! Jerry
post #7588 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11295 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Bob; Understand completely. I've owned the 203 for a month now. Have tried your suggested settings & others, but source direct w/my SonyX930D simply presents the very best PQ I could ever imagine.
This TV simply upscales 4K HDR images far better than the player.
Anyway, thanks again for all the input! Jerry
I think we are having trouble with the statement "This TV simply upscales 4K HDR images far better than the player". If the disk is 4K HDR, then neither the player nor the display is upscaling anything--it is already 4K.
Clark Burk, gsr, budeone and 6 others like this.
post #7589 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
See the FAQ: Recommended Settings.

-Bill
Ah, cheers Bill, had looked for one of your trademarked FAQs but hadn't spotted it again, guess last time I looked it was too early.

post #7590 of 37227 Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

...this is probably helpful to no one else, but my test disc of choice for Oppo is the DVD-Audio/CD "Dualdisc" from the Talking Heads' set. These discs were a huge pain in earlier players, even Oppo, and I've found on first releases of the major DVD and BD players there would sometimes be issues with playback.

Nice to say that flawless playback right from start.
clayhans likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page