Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 255 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279367Likes

post #7621 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I began without the ethernet plugged and thought maybe it needed the network for something? I will disconnect and try hitting "ok" or play.

When I hit the RESOLUTION button, the display on the oppo does not change and just says "No Disc".

Also, the EJECT button on the unit does not work either.

Jeeze, is anyone else getting Database errors when trying to load the forum?

Anyway. I've got a picture now strangely enough. As I said before I had plugged in the ethernet thinking the player wanted the internet. I also had downloaded the Beta FW to USB and put that into the front USB port thinking maybe it would upgrade.

After reading your message, I unplugged the ethernet (USB stick was already removed) and plugged the unit back in (only way to power it off).

This time, I used the power button on the remote to turn it on... lo and behold I get the screen asking about a FW upgrade. I said to remind me later and BAM ... into the menu system.

I checked the FW version and it was NOT the beta... so now I'm currently installing the beta ver.

Stay tuned....
richlife and SamuraiXSendai like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
Well, maybe, except no problems at all playing the same files through a Popcorn Hour A410 or the AVR directly....
My NAS is a WD MyBookLive that is installed with Debian & the Twonky server. NO problems with FLAC files; all my music was ripped as FLAC. The 203 doesn't have any drop outs with the music under Twonky; also no problems with access as SMB or NFS or DLNA. The Twonky server is preferable as it will present the all files for the album in the directory even if the album has a subdirectories for each artist as in a collection (think Twonky creates a temp playlist for playing music).

Only started to decided to use the 203 for music when I exercise because I can see the total time & time played & so be able to check how much longer when the timer goes off. I wouldn't want to do the exercise longer than I needed.
post #7623 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 12:45 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Glitch with MKV streaming

Hello,

I came across a new issue with the 203 that doesn't seem to be a problem for the 103. I stream all my MKVs via SMB - not DLNA so there is not conversion issue. I tested with the 103 same file which I ripped myself from the disc. Streams fine to my 103 but NOT my 203.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cblocked.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1895025  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7624 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Hello,

I came across a new issue with the 203 that doesn't seem to be a problem for the 103. I stream all my MKVs via SMB - not DLNA so there is not conversion issue. I tested with the 103 same file which I ripped myself from the disc. Streams fine to my 103 but NOT my 203.
This really shouldn't be a surprise. Its pretty well known that the 103 ignores Cinavia in files and the 203 does not. This is what its designed to do. Thank the BDA for the UHD player licensing restrictions.
post #7625 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Hello,

As said, this is very sad but it is not a glitch. The licensing rules require the 203 to be more strict with Cinavia enforcement than the 103. Optical media, USB hard drives, SMB, NFS, DLNA: all are covered.

So far Cinavia is not detected over the HDMI input or HDMI ARC.

-Bill
muzz likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7626 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Trouble

I got my UDP-203 yesterday and hooked it up today.
I have the latest firmware onboard.
All is fine except one problem.
There is no sound coming from my Cary C11a SP. The SP display says No signal when fed from the Oppo Audio only HDMI output.
My TV have sound via the main HDMI port.
First I thought it had to do with the audio format on the UHD disk, but this is standard DTS MA that the Cary handles. I also tried a BD disk and HDMI cable I know works with another source, but no sigar.
My Cary cannot pass through 4k material, but this shouldn't be a problem since we are talking 'audio only'?
Is 203 7.1 analog out my only option?

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V
post #7627 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So, finally got around to doing some comparisons for myself...Oppo-203, Samsung K8500, and a regular Panasonic Blu Ray player

The regular Panny BR player isn't even close, so need to mention it.

For me and my equipment - XBR-75940C, SC-95, AudioQuest Pearl 8ft cables...

Blu-Ray and DVD - winner: Samsung K8500
The Oppo's images for both these types of sources were flat when it upsampled and sent to TV. When I set output to Source Direct and sent to TV, the 940C upscaled them dramatically. Used Master and Commander DVD, and Prometheus BR, and a few others of each type.

4K HDR winner: Oppo-203
The HDR 4k (played Independence Day Resurgence)

With the Oppo settings to Auto, DVD's and BR's went to TV upsampled to 4:2:2, 12 bit, according to "information" from Oppo. When I set to Source Direct, the information indicated resolution was in fact what was being played, and picture on the 940C was noticeably better.

I could not get the Oppo to output BR's or DVD's at their native resolution when the settings were set to optimal for 4K (HDR "on", Res - UHD Auto, 4:4:4, 10 bit. I tried every combination I could, but when the player would always upsample the DVD or BR to 2160P and 4:4:4, 10 bit.

I don't have a UB900, but I am now considering getting one to at least compare.

Also, I rented "Ms Pereguine's Peculiar Children" (BR, form Redbox) and got stutter a few times. First time I have ever seen my player do this. It may been due to the fact that it was a Redbox disc...

So, if I get a Panasonic UB900 and it is better (to my eyes), I guess I will need to decide whether to keep the Oppo. I have about 2 weeks to send back in the 30 day window.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #7628 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post

I could not get the Oppo to output BR's or DVD's at their native resolution when the settings were set to optimal for 4K (HDR "on", Res - UHD Auto, 4:4:4, 10 bit. I tried every combination I could, but when the player would always upsample the DVD or BR to 2160P and 4:4:4, 10 bit.
That's what a UHD output resolution does. If you want native resolution for DVD or Blu-ray you should use Source Direct, or 480i for DVD and 1080p for Blu-ray.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #7629 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
There is no sound coming from my Cary C11a SP. The SP display says No signal when fed from the Oppo Audio only HDMI output.
First I thought it had to do with the audio format on the UHD disk, but this is standard DTS MA that the Cary handles. I also tried a BD disk and HDMI cable I know works with another source, but no sigar.
My Cary cannot pass through 4k material, but this shouldn't be a problem since we are talking 'audio only'?
It should work as you've described.

Could you double check that latest firmware: 1229B, right?

And, just as pilots walk around the plane to see that the wings are bolted on and gasoline is not pouring out, could you check that your audio cable is connected to HDMI2 and not HDMI Input?

-Bill

post #7630 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:33 PM
GGA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Greetings to all

Hoping the board can point me in the right direction here. Took delivery of the UHD player that shares the name of this thread and I'm wondering if its DOA.

I have attempted to connect the UHD-203 to two different displays and am not able to generate a picture. I've tried pressing as well as holding the 'resolution' button on the remote without any luck.

I suspect something may be wrong with the unit as once I power it on, I get the "hello oppo" screen, then "no disc". At this point, the remote does not appear to be responsive and neither is the power button on the unit.
I got my Oppo two days ago and had the same symptoms plus the remote would not work as you posted later.

After about 10 minutes of fiddling I got it to work and it has been fine since then. Unfortunately I cannot tell you specifically what I did to fix it. I did do the following:

Unplugged unit 4 or 5 times over the 10 minutes. This seemed to allow me to use the eject button. When the eject button was working I put in various discs, which were accepted, but eject would not work. Put Oppo in standby and then on, which allowed eject to work. Did not want to power off the unit with a disc inside.

Anyway after all this random button pushing and powering down it mysteriously started working without any further incidents. When I checked the unit had the latest firmware.
post #7631 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
I edited my previous post regarding the Brightness and Contrast adjustments I made in my Oppo for HDR viewing on my JVC RS500.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49807513

I don't believe my RS500 was sufficiently warmed up when I made the initial settings. Last night I checked again using the R.Masciola HDR 10 test patterns and I settled on Brightness +3 and Contrast +4.

Note that these settings are for my JVC projector. They are not necessarily valid for others. You can purchase the R.Masciola HDR 10 patterns to fine tune the settings for your display.
Clark Burk and jtolive like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-14-2017 at 01:47 PM.
post #7632 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Good day guys, I am an happy new owner of a oppo 203 to go along my Lg E6.
I was afraid that I could not notice a difference between the xbox one s and the oppo but im happy to state otherwise now that Ive tried it. Noticeable step up in terms of picture quality and sound quality !

One quick question, my player as no problem playing my uhd library but I cannot find a way to listen to the french dts 5.1 track on the miss peregrine uhd br, anyone knows what could cause the problem ? I have a pretty simple sound setup, sonos Playbar and sub over optical.
The soundtrack just wont play. (working on the xos)

Thank you !
post #7633 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by memento24 View Post
I was afraid that I could not notice a difference between the xbox one s and the oppo but im happy to state otherwise now that Ive tried it. Noticeable step up in terms of picture quality and sound quality !

One quick question, my player as no problem playing my uhd library but I cannot find a way to listen to the french dts 5.1 track on the miss peregrine uhd br, anyone knows what could cause the problem ? I have a pretty simple sound setup, sonos Playbar and sub over optical.

Thank you !
There is some good Sonos commentary over the past couple of pages that you should review. Your Sonos doesn't support DTS so you can't bitstream DTS to the playbar and have it decode.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #7634 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
RS500 Settings:

Low Lamp
Iris: -5

Gamma D: Picture Tone: +12 Dark Level: +2 Bright Level: +7
BT.2020 Color Profile
Contrast: 10
Brightness: 1

Increased Contrast in the Oppo to +6 to be able to see the 1000 nit square in the white clipping pattern flash and nothing above.
Increased Brightness in the Oppo to +4 to be able to see the 77 bar in the black clipping pattern flash and nothing below.
Claw, quick question if you wouldn't mind. I'm trying to get my rig set for UHD HDR playback with RS600 + Oppo 203.

I downloaded and installed the BT2020 profile from JVC per JVC instructions.

Manual Iris = -5
Lamp: Low

Color Profile: BT.2020
- Color Management: Off

Color Temp: 6500K

Gamma D: Question here:
- Color Selection White: 12/2/7
Do I repeat this process for Red, Green, and Blue??

MPC:
- Resolution: Auto
- E/DC/S/NR = 24/1/0/0

Contrast/Brightness/Color/Tint all set to 0

Oppo Settings:
HDR: Auto
Custom Resolution: UHD 24hz
Color Space: 4:4:4
Color Depth: 12-bit
Picture Adjustments: Nothing adjusted

With these settings, I am just barely able to make out 77/1.5% flashing bar on Black Clipping 2

I am also able to see 1000 nits on the white clipping, but nothing above.

Is there anything else I should be looking at here? As of now, the wallpaper pictures for the Oppo player look like crap-- kinda real bright highlights and not a normal looking picture.

I'm about to throw a UHD in and see what's up.

TLDR;
Gamma D: Question here:
- Color Selection White: 12/2/7
Do I repeat this process for Red, Green, and Blue??

Are there any other patterns I need to be looking at in order get things somewhat close to decent for viewing UHD's?

Super huge thanks to any and all that can help out

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #7635 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by memento24 View Post

Thank you !
The Playbar only accepts PCM/LPCM or Dolby Digital input. Sonos did not include DTS capability. Your only option is to have the 203 output LPCM instead of bitstream and that means that the 203 will downmix the signal to stereo so you will miss out on surround sound if you're using your Playbar in a surround setup.

The limitation is in the input capabilitities of the Playbar. They are sadly deficient. Including a HDMI input instead of optical and a chipset which handles both Dolby and DTS formats would have avoided your problem but raised the price of the Playbar. Having several inputs instead of one so you could connect several sources would also have helped a lot of people.
post #7636 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
There is some good Sonos commentary over the past couple of pages that you should review. Your Sonos doesn't support DTS so you can't bitstream DTS to the playbar and have it decode.
Thanks for the quick reply, stupid sound bar -_- seems that it can stream music on its own but wont support or convert dts codec. Not a smart buy from me this one.
post #7637 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 625
My unit arrived yesterday from AVS, thanks JD, nicely double boxed.

I have been experimenting a bit with UHD, BD, and MKV playback on my 60" VT60 and overall so far I like it with a few caveats.

Frame dropping occurs, or hitching, periodically throughout playback and if I recall correctly others have been mentioning that the unit is outputting at 24fps or 60fps instead of the proper frame rate. I have the most recent beta firmware installed and I experience this issue with the UHD of Star Trek 09, BR, and a MKV file I made years ago with my original copy. Info button on the player shows the correct frame rate.

Currently have my player setup for 60fps RGB 4:4:4 and have tried between Video and PC levels. With the VT the results appear the same.

It has also occurred with Blade Runner Final Cut, which is VC-1, in a MKV container via a usb thumb drive on the front port.

Watching ST09 UHD is interesting since the original BR is one of my go to demo discs to evaluate color, contrast, detail, etc.

It is not clear to me if the various contrast differences lies wholly with the down conversion to SDR or simply from the HDR mastering. Much is similar but various highlights and certain lowlights and shadow detail does vary in comparison to the BR. Some highlights appear a bit more muted or less visual detail, specifically the sun like backdrop in the battle between the Kelvin and the Narada which often similar but there is some differences.
Other times there is more visible detail with certain highlights.

In the throne scene with Nero half his face is low lit with the BR but appears black or crushed with UHD in SDR. Also certain parts of Narada doors when the shuttle approach has the crush appearance. Whereas not the case with the BR via the Oppo or from my PC played by MPC-HC with and older version of Madvr: RGB PC 8bit.

The monitors and hologram of Spock appears to be slightly less bright on the UHD than the BR.

Aside from the contrast differences I find that color is generally better on the UHD and motion resolution is better. However there is one shot of when Kirk and Bone's shuttle is flying past the Enterprise and exhibits a bit more shimmering on the UHD versus the BR. It is subtle enough most may miss it but that sequence is a demo for me in evaluating how well a panel handles shadow gradients. Along with a few other things.

Apart from video quality the audio sounds the same as my stalwart Panasonic BD65 in regards to bitstream and PCM. I do have another thought on the subject but I need to do a few more test before I make any determination on it. My recollection is that the volume of DTHD to PCM conversion from MKV playback is slightly lower than bitstream from my PC.

Remote is overall nice but the buttons are little finicky. Though large buttons, I believe the contacts are much smaller than the buttons resulting in inconsistent input response.

I love how quiet it is and even though UHD spins rather loudly, playback is generally less intrusive. BR playback is also pretty quiet. I can still hear the drive in use but dramatically quieter than my old BD65.

Hopefully the frame rate error is corrected soon.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #7638 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 02:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
I love how quiet it is and even though UHD spins rather loudly, playback is generally less intrusive. BR playback is also pretty quiet. I can still hear the drive in use but dramatically quieter than my old BD65.

Hopefully the frame rate error is corrected soon.
Could you double check that you have 1229B installed? It helped with both dropped frames and UHD spin noise.

Maybe try Reset Factory Defaults and test again?

-Bill

post #7639 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I watched Jason Bourne last night did have a single video dropout during one of the scene's in Greece. I also had a point where I paused the movie and had it stutter when starting back up. I thought for a moment it was going to freeze up on me, but it got playing again and all was good.

One of the reasons I have always wanted to go to Oppo was seeing the level of support they give for their players over time, and I no doubt believe that will happen with the 203. Honestly looking at the launch of UHD the whole thing does seem a lot smoother then when Blu-Ray first appeared.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #7640 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It should work as you've described.

Could you double check that latest firmware: 1229B, right?

And, just as pilots walk around the plane to see that the wings are bolted on and gasoline is not pouring out, could you check that your audio cable is connected to HDMI2 and not HDMI Input?

-Bill
Firmware says 20XEU-29-1209 updated successfully today.
I can confirm that I am using the audio only HDMI port towards my SP, however I also tried the main one with no success.
Some sink devices need to see a >720p video signal along with the audio in order to work. I wonder if the issue lays here?

post #7641 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Firmware says 20XEU-29-1209 updated successfully today.
That's the original firmware. Please install 1229B before trying other diagnostics; it fixes a lot of problems. You have to download it to USB or burn a CD to install it; it is not available via network upgrade.

Quote:
I can confirm that I am using the audio only HDMI port towards my SP, however I also tried the main one with no success.
Some sink devices need to see a >720p video signal along with the audio in order to work. I wonder if the issue lays here?
There will be blank video on HDMI2 along with the audio; I hope the receiving device doesn't object to that. You have the output resolution at more that 720p, right?

-Bill
muzz likes this.

post #7642 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Wondering if anyone is having a similar issue? This started once I installed 1229b firmware. Seems as thought every time I turn on my oppo and Sony 665es projector the initial image is very dull and grey. If I go into the extended info menu I'm receiving the proper output signal but it's just flat and grey. I'm having to power down or sometimes go into the output settings and change the bit depth to correct this. It's correctable but it's extremely annoying to not be able to put in a movie without having to power everything down or make some adjustment to correct this.
post #7643 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
Wondering if anyone is having a similar issue? This started once I installed 1229b firmware. Seems as thought every time I turn on my oppo and Sony 665es projector the initial image is very dull and grey. I'm having to power down or sometimes go into the output settings and change the bit depth to correct this. It's correctable but it's extremely annoying to not be able to put in a movie without having to power everything down or make some adjustment to correct this.
I haven't seen that, but it may be a specific interaction with your projector.

Changing the bit depth is an interesting clue: that will initiate a new handshake. You can do the same thing with the Resolution button on the remote. Toggle it to something else and then back again to what you want.

I'm curious if the HDMI Output section of the extended Info display has different values before and after you do this, when it makes a difference.

-Bill

post #7644 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Quote:
Wondering if anyone is having a similar issue? This started once I installed 1229b firmware. Seems as thought every time I turn on my oppo and Sony 665es projector the initial image is very dull and grey. I'm having to power down or sometimes go into the output settings and change the bit depth to correct this. It's correctable but it's extremely annoying to not be able to put in a movie without having to power everything down or make some adjustment to correct this.
I haven't seen that, but it may be a specific interaction with your projector.

Changing the bit depth is an interesting clue: that will initiate a new handshake. You can do the same thing with the Resolution button on the remote. Toggle it to something else and then back again to what you want.

I'm curious if the HDMI Output section of the extended Info display has different values before and after you do this, when it makes a difference.

-Bill
I've always been getting 4:2:2 12 bit when I have my settings to

Custom
Auto uhd
4:2:2 chroma
Auto bit depth

When I have this dull grey screen that is indeed what the oppo extended info display shows. So if I change the bit depth to 10 it'll correct the problem. Then the next time I go to watch another movie with the bit depth output set to 10 I'll get the same thing happening and the change it to 12 and it'll correct the issue again. It is strange and never happened prior to installing 1229b firmware.
post #7645 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
I've always been getting 4:2:2 12 bit when I have my settings to

Custom
Auto uhd
4:2:2 chroma
Auto bit depth

When I have this dull grey screen that is indeed what the oppo extended info display shows. So if I change the bit depth to 10 it'll correct the problem. Then the next time I go to watch another movie with the bit depth output set to 10 I'll get the same thing happening and the change it to 12 and it'll correct the issue again. It is strange and never happened prior to installing 1229b firmware.
Ok, thanks. That's an oddity. If you haven't done so already, please write this up and get it to OPPO support. Replicable problems are the best kind.

-Bill

post #7646 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
A couple things come to mind. What types HDMI audio does the Cary support? Any restrictions?
Having audio output on both HDMI outs may be your issue, we used to be able to turn off audio on HDMI-1 but that setting seems to be gone.
Try setting audio output to LPCM instead of bitstream. Try "auto" for the audio output setting if you haven't already. Turn off secondary audio.
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, use only cables certified for 18G (premium high speed), even though its "only audio".
And as Bill suggested do update to latest firmware.
post #7647 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the original firmware. Please install 1229B before trying other diagnostics; it fixes a lot of problems. You have to download it to USB or burn a CD to install it; it is not available via network upgrade.

There will be blank video on HDMI2 along with the audio; I hope the receiving device doesn't object to that. You have the output resolution at more that 720p, right?

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
A couple things come to mind. What types HDMI audio does the Cary support? Any restrictions?
Having audio output on both HDMI outs may be your issue, we used to be able to turn off audio on HDMI-1 but that setting seems to be gone.
Try setting audio output to LPCM instead of bitstream. Try "auto" for the audio output setting if you haven't already. Turn off secondary audio.
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, use only cables certified for 18G (premium high speed), even though its "only audio".
And as Bill suggested do update to latest firmware.
I tried to set the output resolution to Auto - no change.
If I select another input than the actual HDMI input on the Cary, the audio on my tv mutes, indicating that Oppo understand that the Cary will route the audio, but it doesn't lock on.
Also, when updating via USB, based on this download link:
http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP0...29B/UDP20X.bin
The front panel says FW Fail

post #7648 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If I select another input than the actual HDMI input on the Cary, the audio on my tv mutes, indicating that Oppo understand that the Cary will route the audio, but it doesn't lock on.
No point in going any farther till you get the FW updated. Be sure to follow the instruction HERE to the letter.

If you get that solved, sounds like you want to try a different input on the Cary.
post #7649 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
You are in Norway, so you likely have the European version of the OPPO 203. The firmware you tried to install is for the North America version.

The European version of the firmware is found on the OPPO UK site. Here:

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/beta-f...U-players.html

As you discovered, the European player won't let you mistakenly install the firmware for the North American player. But download the correct version, and you should be fine.
--Bob
gsr likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7650 of 37537 Old 01-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
David; Thanks for taking the time to respond. Well, not much to add, except the source direct option, at least w/the Sony, for me presents the very finest PQ. Thanks Again-Jerry
We should not leave this here, even though you have found a solution that works for you.

If the picture quality you get when playing UHD discs is significantly better when using Source Direct than when using the equivalent Custom video output settings -- i.e., the settings that send the same signal to your Display -- then something is WRONG.

Source Direct bypasses certain video processing in the player, in addition to sending out the video resolution of the content unscaled. But you are sending 4K/24 4:2:2 12b either way so the resolution part of this is not in play.

HOWEVER, if you have any of the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO changed from their Factory Default (0) values, switching to Source Direct bypasses those settings.

So the first thing to do is to go into Setup > Video Output Setup > Picture Adjustment and confirm that every one of the setting lines in there are set to 0.

Next, if you are in the habit of using the Zoom feature in the OPPO, Source Direct also bypasses that.

Now, if you find all the Picture Adjustment settings are indeed set to 0, and you do NOT use the Zoom function, this difference between Source Direct and the equivalent output via the Custom video settings is NOT NORMAL.

I.e., your player may need hardware service. For example, the settings memory may be broken so that the player IS applying Picture Adjustments (when you are not using Source Direct).

Again, presuming you aren't actually using either Zoom or the Picture Adjustments, Source Direct should look the same as the equivalent Custom video choices. If you can quantify the type of difference you are seeing with Custom vs. Source Direct, that might lead to an answer. But I would not let this slide, because if there's a hardware fault in your player it is best to get that nailed down.
--Bob
muzz and chi_guy50 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page