Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279373Likes

post #7711 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
I'm just trying to figure this stuff out, but...

If my primary use (aside from BR and UHD DVDs) is playing movie files on the network, it would seem the 203 gives me everything I need?

Anyone with both (or knowledge of both) who can confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
No, not really. It does a decent job but like all BD players it has Cineva protection, so for example if you rip BDs you own, like I do, it won't play ones that have it - which is a fair number. Same goes for rips that you may *cough* not do yourself. And there are a few limitations on older codecs/containers, subtitle handling, etc. Also I don't find the media browser to be particularly user-friendly or attractive - it gets the job done in the most basic way possible. Same goes for actual media playback. Overall, it works, and will work with a lot of content, but sooner or later you'll run in to issues you wouldn't with other solutions that are better suited for playing files over a network.

This device is really meant to play disks, and play them well. Network and mass-storage streaming is a nice feature that is good for occasional usage but if that is one of your primary use cases you should be looking in to something else. And of course there's no streaming apps on the player, as has been well covered. That's why they have an HDMI input - it's meant for external streamers (so you can still take advantage of Oppo processing).

Right now I don't find said processing to be really up to snuff or worth the extra hassle - my streaming box remains on its dedicated AVR port. Maybe that will change. You can get a good Android TV based box - the Shield TV is the best one, it's about to be updated with Amazon Prime which means it will have most of the major streaming services (sans Apple) and handles 4k/HDR. You can install Kodi on it from the Play store for free and stream your local media that way.

Kodi does a good job even with unconverted straight BD rips in my experience (I use MakeMKV to rip my disks, and I don't bother to reencode them to a smaller size; I have a Plex server that will do that on the fly if I'm playing back on a device that can't handle the full rip) and it will play just about anything. Or if you are really in to getting the very best and also have a ton of spare time you can go for a Windows box/MadVR based solution. Other forums here will point you in the right direction for all of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
"Everything" is a lot. It depends on your needs. I use both discs and SMB storage every day and it is good enough for the girls I run with.

But: I kind of like minimalistic interfaces, which is what the OPPO provides. You want something more graphically elaborate and with advanced features, an HTPC or media server appliance would provide more of that for local networks.

-Bill

Ix & Bill,

Thanks for your responses.

Ix, I was considering the kdlinks but the Shield sounds like a better solution. It also sounds like it would replace my Roku? If correct, that makes it doubly appealing as my Roku is returnable. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill, I feel the same way about the look of the interface. The plex interface looks great, but in reality, in our dedicated HT, we've already picked what we want to watch before the movie starts, and the "tech" gets it queued up.

I was testing out a couple of mkv files yesterday and while the Roku Ultra (via the 203) kept stuttering, the 203 played the same files flawlessly. (Both are hard wired.)

I was considering getting a kdlinks/now Shield for the more processor-intensive files - but based on my (2 movie) experience with the Plex vs 203, wondered if I really will need it.

Speaking of plex, I'd prefer a (mac-based) non-web based server solution to use with the 203. Any recommendations?

Last edited by ht guy; 01-15-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude924 View Post
Curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have my 203 on my av stand shelf and my powered center channel on top shelf. Every time there is a scene with a lot of lfe, my player studders. Video and audio freeze up for a second. This only happens if my volume is up past -14. I've wiped the discs, have the most current firmware and all the discs play on my Samsung with no problem. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAttachment 1887721
Auralex under speaker and/or Vibrapods under 203.

http://www.auralex.com/products/iso-series/

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrapod-Isol...pd_rd_r=PNB62D

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #7713 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post

Speaking of plex, I'd prefer a (mac-based) non-web based server solution to use with the 203. Any recommendations?
A DLNA server for the Mac? I kept a list of servers in the older FAQs, but it should still be good (excusing unavoidable internet link rot). See the 103 FAQ: What are some DLNA servers?

You'd have to do some searching for Mac support, but Twonky and J. River Media Center are popular and cross-platform. Neither are free, but both have free trials.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7714 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
Yes. Did the factory reset and all after the beta update. I've watched several 4K discs since the update , including The Martian immediately prior to DH with no issues at all. Also note, I never had issues with the videol. Just the audio disappearing momentarily a few times.
Be sure to let OPPO and Denon know. I've noticed quite a few Denon/Marantz owners are reporting audio dropouts with the 203 especially on Atmos tracks. It is perhaps the combination of the two causing problems. If you report this to both companies hopefully they can get to the bottom of the issue and come out with a firmware update that corrects the issue.

Clark

Last edited by Clark Burk; 01-15-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Wrong company quoted
post #7715 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Watched Deepwater Horizon UHD tonight. This is the first time I've experienced the audio dropouts people have referred to. It happened about 4 times throughout the movie. What's the solution to this issue? This thread is far too long to search for a solid answer.
Smile, deal with it, and send the report to Oppo. They are aware, its well known the error correction or whatever is due an update. I'm a little pissed that with the problems, we have only rcvd one update since I got this on 12/14. I mean I don't even watch UHD movies right now because of the bug, which is fine because I have some blu-rays, but cmon man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
There is no solution. It's the. It's annoying issue my friend and I are both suffering with this player. Email Oppo of your issue with this movie, so they may get even more feedback to get this resolved please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, email them with every disc issue so they know. Squeaky wheel gets grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ix400 View Post
Can we be sure that these dropouts are caused by a firmware problem? Let's hope that it is not a hardware related issue...
Nah, I feel its related to error correction and they pretty much said that in an email I posted on here. I just think the solution might not be as easy as we would hope. Right now, my 0.02 is the 203 was released about 60 days too early.

On to positive news, I watched the below last night which was a 1080p/60 presentation and scaled to 2160p/60 422 12 bit. PQ was fabulous, not one glitch from the 203 (first 60hz 1080p disc I have watched).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerosmith.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1896345  

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 01-15-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #7716 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
This may sound stupid but I received my 203 last week. The first thing I did after connecting it took a look at the firmware which was installed, it was latest official firmware. I than installed the latest beta. Should I have done a factory reset? I had nothing setup yet in the player at that point. I watched Deepwater Horizon and had the audio dropout issue, at the beginning and a lot of minor ones toward the end of the film but no lockups. I did wipe the disc down before being played. I'm sure this will be fixed down the road as this is my 5th Oppo disc player that I've owned (I have a 105D installed in my 2ch stereo setup) and their product support is the best in the industry. Actually I'll just do a reset now.
Yes, at this point in the evolution of the firmware, I would recommend doing a Reset Factory Defaults after every firmware install.

You can speed this up by saving your settings to a USB stick so you can reload them after the Reset. Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.

--Bob
ThePrisoner likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7717 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a question on hooking up an OPPO UHD-203 to my home theater set up. I currently have a Integra DTR 70.4 AVR that is 4K ready but as I understand it will not do pass through of 4k content. So to get the full benefit of the OPPO 203 and a LG OLED-65-B6P I would need to hook the OPPO directly to the TV for video using the HDMI main to the TV and HDMI audio only to the AVR. Also I use Kodi/MediaPortal on my HTPC for watching my video library, listening to music and viewing recorded OTA TV Is there a benefit to running this through the OPPO 203 and then the AVR?
For me this is getting into uncharted waters and I am looking for advice before I pull the trigger on the OPPO. I plan on getting the LG OLED -65-B6P during the upcoming week if my local supplier can get me a deal.
Thanks
post #7718 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maynard View Post
I have a question on hooking up an OPPO UHD-203 to my home theater set up. I currently have a Integra DTR 70.4 AVR that is 4K ready but as I understand it will not do pass through of 4k content. So to get the full benefit of the OPPO 203 and a LG OLED-65-B6P I would need to hook the OPPO directly to the TV for video using the HDMI main to the TV and HDMI audio only to the AVR. Also I use Kodi/MediaPortal on my HTPC for watching my video library, listening to music and viewing recorded OTA TV Is there a benefit to running this through the OPPO 203 and then the AVR?
For me this is getting into uncharted waters and I am looking for advice before I pull the trigger on the OPPO. I plan on getting the LG OLED -65-B6P during the upcoming week if my local supplier can get me a deal.
Thanks
Are you certain that your Integra doesn't have a "by pass" or "straight thru" setting? Past Integra/Onkyo AV receivers have had that, but I'm not familiar with their 4K models. Otherwise, yes, hook up HDMI 1 directly to your LG display, and HDMI 2 (audio) to your Integra. What you lose in this configuration is the ability to see the Integra menu on your display. You'll be strictly using the front panel display on the Integra to make adjustments. That's more of an inconvenience than anything else. It should also be stated that the less equipment between your player and your display, the less chance there is of something messing with the image.

As far as your HTPC is concerned, the benefit of running it through the Oppo is the utilization of Oppo's image processor. I'd try an A/B test to confirm, but chances are you'll like the image via the Oppo.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp

Last edited by johng; 01-15-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: further response
post #7719 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you don't want regular Blu-ray discs to be upscaled to 4K, set Custom > 1080p Auto instead of Custom > UHD Auto.

Change back to UHD Auto for UHD discs.
--Bob

... Your "Expertise" (and anyone else's if they would like to comment) is requested. I have the 203 wired directly to my Sony Z Model Display with the 203 Audio out to a "NON" UHD AVR. I have a 103D wired through the Non UHD AVR and then to the display. Watching 1080 BD content through the 203 and the 103D and the 1080 BD PQ appears to be better on the 103D. Both players firmware are up to date, all HDMI Cables are certified UHD (even for the 103D), and I have tinkered with some of the settings on the 203 but the 103D 1080 BD PQ still looks better. Any thoughts on this, i.e. I do not have a 203 correct setting (all factory settings) and both players PQ should be the same or is this the added benefit of Darbee Processing ? Your thoughts and input (and anyone else's) would be very much appreciated. TIA and my apology if this matter has been addressed in earlier posts.
post #7720 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
Are you certain that your Integra doesn't have a "by pass" or "straight thru" setting? Past Integra/Onkyo AV receivers have had that, but I'm not familiar with their 4K models. Otherwise, yes, hook up HDMI 1 directly to your LG display, and HDMI 2 (audio) to your Integra. What you lose in this configuration is the ability to see the Integra menu on your display. You'll be strictly using the front panel display on the Integra to make adjustments. That's more of an inconvenience than anything else. It should also be stated that the less equipment between your player and your display, the less chance there is of something messing with the image. I will have to get the manual back out and see if it allows straight through or by pass on 4K I did a quick look and it looked like it did not allow it.

As far as your HTPC is concerned, the benefit of running it through the Oppo is the utilization of Oppo's image processor. I'd try an A/B test to confirm, but chances are you'll like the image via the Oppo.
That was what I was thinking. Also going through the OPPO would give me a DA converter for the Flac vinyl recording I have been working on. Guess the best thing is to try it.
Thanks
post #7721 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Thanks Gadget. I have 2 203s and had issues (stuttering audio) with the first one, but upgraded to the latest beta firmware on both. No more stuttering on either.
My .02

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #7722 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad701xx View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a 2016 LG Oled, would you?

I had a similar issue with my LG 65B6P when I first got a Philips BDP-7501. I would get audio but no video and nothing I could do with the player would get it to work. When I plugged it into different inputs in the tv, it would also get just audio and no video so I thought something happened with the HDMI output of the player. I returned it and got a replacement which did the same thing after a couple of days. I got a third one and hoped it would behave.

Before I gave the third one a workout, I changed my Frontier cable box from an HD channel to watch an SD one and lost the video but not the sound just like I had on the 7501s. I tried a different input and sure enough, no video...only sound. At that point I reset the TV by powering it off and holding the power button on while it was unplugged. After that, I got my video and audio back. Somehow it seems the LG remembered the device and wouldn't allow video from it until I did the reset.

It hasn't done it since with the 7501, my cable box or the 203.

Dave

Dave:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I do have the LG 65OLEDB6P. I tried your method and alas, no change. Ever other component works and I have a Samsung 4K player that works fine. I tried reseting the LG from the utility menu and the power off, hold the button and un-plug as you had suggested and still have the issue with the 203.
post #7723 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury1 View Post
Dave:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I do have the LG 65OLEDB6P. I tried your method and alas, no change. Ever other component works and I have a Samsung 4K player that works fine. I tried reseting the LG from the utility menu and the power off, hold the button and un-plug as you had suggested and still have the issue with the 203.
Just to be sure...you power off the LG, unplug it from the power outlet, then press the power button for 20 seconds or so. Is that the sequence you tried?
post #7724 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
You can't just dismiss the Player's Network and Mass storage playback as a feature for occasional usage, the Deck natively supports NFS and has 3x USB 3 ports, there are lots of media specific players not that well specified. Added to that one of the fixes in the Beta was to add wrap round scrolling for menu's and media file browsing i would say Oppo knows it's Target market will buy many disks but will also have many more Media Files.
It has Cineva (I know they are required to have it) which knocks it out right there and USB ports are not nearly as relevant for local media streaming as they were 10 years ago. Also the Shield I mentioned has plenty of those too. Basically, a Shield TV will knock the Oppo's streaming capabilities silly, including local media streaming.

If you like it, great. If it works for you for local streaming who am I to say you are wrong? I wouldn't recommend it to most users as an "all in one" solution is all.
nathan_h likes this.
post #7725 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Non-4K Picture-Sound Quality

With so many posts regarding problems with the Oppo 203, I'd like to offer a positive review of the player's ability to handle Blu-Ray and DVD sources, as well as media files from a server. I don't (yet) have a true 4K display. My decision to purchase the 203 was based upon a desire to get the best possible picture and sound from non-4K source material, and to be ready for a true 4K display (hopefully by the end of 2017).

The firmware has been upgraded twice since purchasing the 203 and each time solved some minor problems with either picture or sound.

We are VERY pleased with the image and sound from Blu-Ray and DVD sources, as well as media files (mostly mkv files) played via an external hard drive. In virtually every instance, the image from the 203 is a clear improvement over the image from our prior player, a top-of-the-line Sony. We also own an Oppo BDP-93 and find the 203 to be better at handling some BD's that had slight image stutters on both the Sony and BDP-93. The biggest surprise to us was improvement in sound quality. Specifically, greater discrete channel imaging from the 203 compared to the Sony. Since we use Bitstream to send the sound to the AVR you'd think there would be no difference, but both my wife and I commented on the improvement.

We've thrown a number of "difficult" BD's and DVD's at the 203, including PAL DVD's, and found playback to be solid and the image to be impressive.

The feedback to Oppo, and Oppo's responsiveness, on this forum has already resulted in firmware improvements. Based upon Oppo's position as appealing to the most discriminating of videophiles, I expect that those of you with true 4K displays will be very happy with the Oppo 203. It's a winner.

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #7726 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Watched Deepwater Horizon UHD tonight. This is the first time I've experienced the audio dropouts people have referred to. It happened about 4 times throughout the movie. What's the solution to this issue? This thread is far too long to search for a solid answer.

I just watched it and did have one audio dropout at about 2 minutes 30 seconds in but it was fine the rest of the way. Great movie by the way.
post #7727 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 154
When we watch standard dvd's the image on my screen is small? It's still widescreen but has bars on sides along with top and bottom. Everything is auto. When I switch to source direct it fills in sides but looks stretched a bit. I have epson 5040. Any thoughts? Blue ray and uhd play just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7728 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

We are VERY pleased with the image and sound from Blu-Ray and DVD sources, as well as media files (mostly mkv files) played via an external hard drive. In virtually every instance, the image from the 203 is a clear improvement over the image from our prior player, a top-of-the-line Sony. We also own an Oppo BDP-93 and find the 203 to be better at handling some BD's that had slight image stutters on both the Sony and BDP-93. The biggest surprise to us was improvement in sound quality. Specifically, greater discrete channel imaging from the 203 compared to the Sony. Since we use Bitstream to send the sound to the AVR you'd think there would be no difference, but both my wife and I commented on the improvement.

We've thrown a number of "difficult" BD's and DVD's at the 203, including PAL DVD's, and found playback to be solid and the image to be impressive.

The feedback to Oppo, and Oppo's responsiveness, on this forum has already resulted in firmware improvements. Based upon Oppo's position as appealing to the most discriminating of videophiles, I expect that those of you with true 4K displays will be very happy with the Oppo 203. It's a winner.
Glad it's working good for you. I agree with the statements on Oppo as a company.

I agree that the 203 is better than older BD players. Going further, I was hoping the 203 image processing (for BD's and DVD's) would be on par with that of my 940C, and better than than the Samsung K8500. Sadly, it isn't. It's outstanding HDR 4K processing.

I do hope Oppo continues to refine and evolve the player.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
post #7729 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad701xx View Post
Just to be sure...you power off the LG, unplug it from the power outlet, then press the power button for 20 seconds or so. Is that the sequence you tried?
Yes. I just tried it again and still no joy. How do you tell if the LG has "reset"? All the setup setting are still the same.
diverdra likes this.
post #7730 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Is there any problems paying 4k uhd bd in hdr? I know it has problems stripping hdr.
post #7731 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury1 View Post
Yes. I just tried it again and still no joy. How do you tell if the LG has "reset"? All the setup setting are still the same.
I was hoping that would take care of it for you.

When I did it on mine, none of the settings changed. It's not like the factory reset.
post #7732 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I was wondering what was up with the sound - I've noticed an imaging improvement too. A not unnoticeable one particularly with Atmos. I'm running a 5.1.4 (actually I have 2 subs) setup with the Denon x2300 and I swear background sounds are clearer now - not directional but more prominent, I mean. Could the Oppo have anything to do with this? Or am I just imagining things?

I'm coming from the Philips UHD - a fine little player (it is literally little) and cheaper than the Oppo but not in the same league at all. Even with the Oppo's beta quirks it's still a better player overall for both UHD and BD than the Philips. The Philips does have a Netflix & Youtube client but I already have that with the Shield.
post #7733 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
When we watch standard dvd's the image on my screen is small? It's still widescreen but has bars on sides along with top and bottom. Everything is auto. When I switch to source direct it fills in sides but looks stretched a bit. I have epson 5040. Any thoughts? Blue ray and uhd play just fine.
Is this all DVDs or only some? There were (mostly in the early days) 4:3 letterboxed DVDs that would display as you describe because that is how they were (suboptimally) encoded.

But a 16:9 "anamorphic" DVD should not be pillarboxed on the sides. It may have letterbox bars above and below depending on the aspect ratio of the film.

What Output Resolution and Custom Resolution do you normally use? And you have Setup -> Video Setup -> TV Aspect Ratio = 16:9 Wide/Auto? (That's the default).

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #7734 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Is there any problems paying 4k uhd bd in hdr? I know it has problems stripping hdr.
We get relatively few problem reports with HDR. "Too dark" sometimes, but that seems to be an authoring issue, or perhaps just the nature of certain projectors.

HDR authoring from the studios is still in a state of flux.

-Bill
Carter D and SamuraiXSendai like this.

post #7735 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3568 Post(s)
Liked: 11241
I just wanted to add some positive feedback on this player. I've had the Oppo 203 for almost a month now. I installed the firmware that came on the disc packaged with the player but I haven't done any other updates since. I've played some older DVD's, new blu-rays and a 4K blu-ray. So far everything has worked fine, I haven't experienced any video or audio blackouts or even any stuttering.

I also feel that there has been a audio improvement compared to my older Sony blu-ray and of course the picture is better as well. So all in all I find this to be an excellent player thus far.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #7736 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... Your "Expertise" (and anyone else's if they would like to comment) is requested. I have the 203 wired directly to my Sony Z Model Display with the 203 Audio out to a "NON" UHD AVR. I have a 103D wired through the Non UHD AVR and then to the display. Watching 1080 BD content through the 203 and the 103D and the 1080 BD PQ appears to be better on the 103D. Both players firmware are up to date, all HDMI Cables are certified UHD (even for the 103D), and I have tinkered with some of the settings on the 203 but the 103D 1080 BD PQ still looks better. Any thoughts on this, i.e. I do not have a 203 correct setting (all factory settings) and both players PQ should be the same or is this the added benefit of Darbee Processing ? Your thoughts and input (and anyone else's) would be very much appreciated. TIA and my apology if this matter has been addressed in earlier posts.
Thoughts?

1- Darbee will make a difference if you are using Darbee processing on the 103D. If you like Darbee processing on BD and DVD content, you will probably prefer the 103D BUT part of that may be a familiarity effect. We tend to "like" what we're used to and to prefer it over something different when we make a change. Actually use the change for a while, long enough for it to become familiar, and then try swapping back to the old version and you may find you prefer the new. Initial preferences are often strongly influenced by a desire to see what we're used to and have liked up until the change.

2- It's not clear from your post whether you are using 1080p output from the 103D and having the TV upscale it to 4K or having the 103D do the upscaling to 4K but since you said that you have a "NON" UHD AVR I'm assuming you are using 1080p output from the 103D. I'm also not certain what your "NON" UHD AVR can do because it's possible that while it cannot accept and pass through 4K content, it could be possible that it can upscale 1080p content to 4K so it is possible that you are using your AVR for 4K upscaling. I assume that you have the 203 upscaling BD to 4K so my guess is that you're comparing BD content upscaled to 4K from the 203 against BD content upscaled to 4K elsewhere, probably by the TV but possibly by your AVR. That's another difference. I would expect the 203 to have a better upscaler than your AVR if it is doing the upscaling but it is possible that the TV has a slightly better upscaler than the 203. Either way, where you do the upscaling can make a difference to what you see on screen.

3- I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say " I do not have a 203 correct setting (all factory settings)". That could mean that you have changed the 203's picture adjustment settings or that you have them all set to the factory defaults though I think you're saying that they are set to the factory defaults and you wonder whether there is a combination of settings you could make there which would be better. If so, it's hard to answer that because your TV settings could make a difference. If the TV has been calibrated, then the 203's factory defaults are what most of us would recommend. If you haven't had the TV calibrated, and especially if you've played with the TV's picture quality settings and/or have made adjustments to the 103D's settings apart from the Darbee settings, then things could be different because that will be influencing what you see as well, and influencing it in ways which no one can predict because we don't know what settings you may have changed on the TV or in the 103D.

So, yes, it's quite possible that you are seeing differences in picture quality between the 203 and the 103D for a variety of reasons, and it's quite possible that you prefer the BD results from the 103D for a variety of reasons including the Darbee processing.

Given that quite a few things can be making a difference, how do you work out which is best or rather what gives you the results you like most with BD?

The first thing I'd try is to work out where the upscaling is best done. Since it's probably that the TV is doing the upscaling for BDs played on the 103D, the first thing I'd do is compare BDs on the 203 with the 203 upscaling to 4K vs the 203 outputting 1080p and the TV doing the upscaling. If you prefer the TV doing the upscaling, then compare results from the 203 outputting 1080p to the results you're currently getting with the 103D. If you still prefer the 103D, then it's probably that it's the Darbee processing that's making the difference. If that's the case then you're going to be better off using the 103D for BD playback.

In order to see whether familiarity is driving that preference, then simply use the 203 for BD playback for a few days to a week or so until you stop noticing what it is you're "missing" and start to get a feel for what the 203 does, and then compare results from the 203 to what you get from the 103D with Darbee processing. Do you still prefer the 103D with Darbee processing? If so, you can be pretty sure that Darbee makes a positive difference for you. I've got a 105 and tried using a Darbee Darblet for a while and while I initially felt that Darbee made an improvement I ended up going back to the 105 without the Darblet because I found over time that while Darbee made a visible difference for me, I really preferred the picture without it. You may find if you live with the 203's BD performance for a while that you too actually prefer that result. I have no idea which way that experiment will work out for you but in the end whether you prefer Darbee processing with BDs or not is a personal preference and there's no right or wrong to that, it's what you like, but it can be hard to tell which you prefer when you're swapping from the 103D and a result using Darbee that you've become used to to the 203 without Darbee and a result that you're not used to.

If you have made changes to the factory defaults apart from Darbee on either player, then there are other comparisons that you could make but for a starting point I think working out whether you prefer BDs upscaled to 4K by the player or by the TV, and whether you prefer with or without Darbee, and which combination of those 2 factors is your preference should be the starting point for anything you do.

If you find that you're happy with the result from the 203 with the TV doing the upscaling, then in the 203's settings you can swap between Auto resolution for UHD discs which will give you 4K output and Custom resolution with a custom setting of 1080p for BD output and change the output resolution easily using the Resolution button on the 203's remote, or by setting the 203's output to Source Direct but that is going to bypass some of the 203's other settings for output processing. If you prefer BD with Darbee, then you're going to be faced with the choice of keeping both players in your system and using the 103D for BD playback or giving up Darbee if you want to only keep one player in your system.
post #7737 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Is this all DVDs or only some? There were (mostly in the early days) 4:3 letterboxed DVDs that would display as you describe because that is how they were (suboptimally) encoded.

But a 16:9 "anamorphic" DVD should not be pillarboxed on the sides. It may have letterbox bars above and below depending on the aspect ratio of the film.

What Output Resolution and Custom Resolution do you normally use? And you have Setup -> Video Setup -> TV Aspect Ratio = 16:9 Wide/Auto? (That's the default).

-Bill

Yes widescreen movies and yes auto setting but I'll make sure. Thanks

post #7738 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:

You are playing a "Full Screen" SD-DVD of a widescreen movie. That is, an SD-DVD with a widescreen movie which was authored for playback on traditional, 4:3 TVs.

So your Widescreen movie is being presented in a 4:3 frame.

When you play such a disc on the OPPO (using normal settings) the black bars top and bottom are already in the content on disc, and the OPPO is providing the black bars left and right to keep the movie in the proper Aspect Ratio when shown on your modern, 16:9 TV. Thus you end up with black bars around all 4 sides with the movie floating in the middle of the screen.

When you switch to Source Direct, the OPPO doesn't do the processing to add the black bars on the sides and so the movie appears "stretched" left and right. Meaning the Aspect Ratio is wrong -- circles now look like wide ovals.

The best way to play such a disc on the OPPO is to use the original settings -- the ones that give you black bars around all 4 sides -- and then use the Zoom button to establish "Full" Zoom. This will zoom into the picture uniformly -- both horizontally and vertically. The pillar box bars left and right will thus be eliminated and the letter box bars top and bottom will be smaller. And what's more, the Aspect Ratio for the movie will be correct.

--------------------------------------

That said, the BEST answer here is to not buy Full Screen SD-DVDs. Instead what you want is SD-DVDs that are sold as "Anamorphic" or "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs". Such an SD-DVD presents your movie in a 16:9 frame instead of the 4:3 frame of the disc you are playing now.

Now many theatrical releases are "wider" than 16:9. And for those, you'll still have letter box bars, top and bottom, which are already in the content on disc.

But you won't have the pillar box bars on either side.

What's more, an "anamorphic" disc like this even has BETTER Resolution than the non-anamorphic version you are playing now. Which is an important consideration when playing SD content.

Sometimes both styles of disc authoring for SD-DVD are packaged together -- typically labeled Full Screen and Widescreen. Indeed sometimes both are even on the same disc.
--Bob
SamuraiXSendai likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7739 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You are playing a "Full Screen" SD-DVD of a widescreen movie. That is, an SD-DVD with a widescreen movie which was authored for playback on traditional, 4:3 TVs.

So your Widescreen movie is being presented in a 4:3 frame.

When you play such a disc on the OPPO (using normal settings) the black bars top and bottom are already in the content on disc, and the OPPO is providing the black bars left and right to keep the movie in the proper Aspect Ratio when shown on your modern, 16:9 TV. Thus you end up with black bars around all 4 sides with the movie floating in the middle of the screen.

When you switch to Source Direct, the OPPO doesn't do the processing to add the black bars on the sides and so the movie appears "stretched" left and right. Meaning the Aspect Ratio is wrong -- circles now look like wide ovals.

The best way to play such a disc on the OPPO is to use the original settings -- the ones that give you black bars around all 4 sides -- and then use the Zoom button to establish "Full" Zoom. This will zoom into the picture uniformly -- both horizontally and vertically. The pillar box bars left and right will thus be eliminated and the letter box bars top and bottom will be smaller. And what's more, the Aspect Ratio for the movie will be correct.

--------------------------------------

That said, the BEST answer here is to not buy Full Screen SD-DVDs. Instead what you want is SD-DVDs that are sold as "Anamorphic" or "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs". Such an SD-DVD presents your movie in a 16:9 frame instead of the 4:3 frame of the disc you are playing now.

Now many theatrical releases are "wider" than 16:9. And for those, you'll still have letter box bars, top and bottom, which are already in the content on disc.

But you won't have the pillar box bars on either side.

What's more, an "anamorphic" disc like this even has BETTER Resolution than the non-anamorphic version you are playing now. Which is an important consideration when playing SD content.

Sometimes both styles of disc authoring for SD-DVD are packaged together -- typically labeled Full Screen and Widescreen. Indeed sometimes both are even on the same disc.

--Bob

Thanks for this. I guess even though it's a wide screen movie. These are old movies. What I'm seeing on my 120 screen is like a mini version of. 2:35 film. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170115/60c8ea48a172eedd3bf2629614993378.jpg[/

Last edited by bezlar; 01-15-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #7740 of 37549 Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Thanks for this. I guess even though it's a wide screen movie. These are old movies. What I'm seeing on my 120 screen is like a mini version of. 2:35 film.
They can call them widescreen because technically the aspect ratio is correct, just poorly encoded.

The Full Screen zoom mode is good with these: at least you'll lose the pillarbox bars. Detail won't be so good, of course.

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page