Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 279 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279171Likes

post #8341 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
When it comes to the player's DAC, my intention is to connect it to my Arcam integrated amplifier via the stereo analog outputs. What I would like to know is whether the HDMI connection to the tv overrides the audio analog out on the player. Or to put it this way, can I watch a movie and play the audio track on my speakers via the analog outs at the same time?
According to something I read on Oppo's own FAQ last night, the 203's analogue outputs are always active. So I think you're good to go!
**Amused** likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Soooooo.... it looks like crap in areas, like the sky. I never said it wasnt film you took two different thoughts and considered them one. One, I hate fake grain, two, the sky and certain areas in that movie looked bad because I hate excessive grain period.

And giving me a novel on how the people who shot the movie loved its look surely doesn't impress me. Anywho, this has been a fun I hate too much grain OT exercise, moving on now.
I agree with you. I hate grain. For me the ultimate goal for picture quality from our TVs is to get as close to as if your looking out a glass window into the real world & when I look out a window in real life I see no grain what so ever. So I really don't understand why a lot of people are happy to see grain in a film. Yes I know the presence grain indicates more detail but honestly i would rather not see it.
JK71 likes this.

LG OLED 65C6P | Yamaha RX-A2070 | Oppo UDP-203 | Paradigm SE Speakers
post #8343 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4646 Post(s)
Liked: 4496
Quote:
I need some help guys. I put my Sammy K8500 for sale in order to get the Oppo 203. I need the Oppo for 2 reasons: Dolby Vision support (my Sony Z9D is due to receive DV support via firmware update) and the internal DAC.

When it comes to the player's DAC, my intention is to connect it to my Arcam integrated amplifier via the stereo analog outputs. What I would like to know is whether the HDMI connection to the tv overrides the audio analog out on the player. Or to put it this way, can I watch a movie and play the audio track on my speakers via the analog outs at the same time? For example the Sammy player wasn't able to output sound via optical out if the player was connected to a TV via HDMI, it always sent the audio signal through the HDMI.
All audio outputs are live simultaneously. (All OPPO players have done that).

You'll probably want to turn HDMI audio off in the player Setup, or mute it otherwise in the TV.

-Bill
**Amused** likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8344 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruckus View Post
Yes I know the presence grain indicates more detail but honestly i would rather not see it.
The presence of grain doesn't indicate more detail, it just indicates that there's some grain.

That said, I was once on an engineering course at a manufacturer of broadcast telecine machines and we were shown two identical pictures, one with grain and one without and asked to say which was sharpest. Everyone said the one with grain was noticeably sharper. It was then revealed that the two pictures were in fact identical, save for one being given a wash of artificial grain. The sharpness was an illusion caused by the way the brain processes noisy images.

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-20-2017 at 06:25 AM.
post #8345 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Please continue the discussion of disc authoring, grain, quality in the software forum. There have been plenty of threads on this topic already. Software chat needs to be related to playback issues.

Quote:
This area covers Blu-ray & UHD Blu-ray players. Please note this is not the area for software chat.
dpippel and Despoiler like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #8346 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
I have either a balky HDMI cable (Oppo supplied) or a balky HDMI socket on my 203. I have the same problem as you sometimes. Just by moving the cable (which seems to fit very loosely) a tiny bit I get a picture on my display. Maybe by opening the disc tray we have ever so slightly dislodged the cable.
i think it is the HDMI socket ! Oppo tried to imply it was the cable! But I eventually got home menu to work and now it is worse then ever! I have tried 3 different HDMI cables and sometimes they work fine and sometimes it flashes on and off with sparkles . IT has taken to go to green screen at times meaning no input found! Yet home menu worked fine yesterday! Ohhh well . I gues I will call them if they say it is the cable again (which it can not be) they've I will just have to put up with the imperfection. But it is hard to set things in the menu with it flashing on and off! And last night it did not even do that ! I was able to get the firmware update done ! it did not help the situation. 😳
post #8347 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
All audio outputs are live simultaneously. (All OPPO players have done that).

You'll probably want to turn HDMI audio off in the player Setup, or mute it otherwise in the TV.

-Bill

Perfect, got it!

Another question, if I use the HDMI input on the Oppo to connect my set top box, will the Oppo send the audio as well via the analog outputs? This way the Oppo would act as a AV receiver for my set top box, upscale the picture and send it to my tv.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8348 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Finally got my Oppo 203 to day Hooked up to my calibrated Lg G6 Oled i instant did see a big diffrence vs the Xbox s i Been using.

Much cleaner n clear picture.

Less "picture noise" and better out of dark details on passific rim.
Dr Tube likes this.
post #8349 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Perfect, got it!

Another question, if I use the HDMI input on the Oppo to connect my set top box, will the Oppo send the audio as well via the analog outputs?
Yes.

-Bill
**Amused** likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #8350 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
So they didn't do any other bug fixes or improvements in the last 17 days?
Of course they are working on other stuff.
Bob explained the reasoning for this "Official Release" pretty succinctly yesterday.
Not only his reasoning, but some folks are afraid of "Betas", and won't use them, which is actually kind of odd, as you can easily roll back from a Beta, can't roll back an Official.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #8351 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking for a little help. I have had the 203 for a couple of weeks, i have all of my files on a QNAP has drive and according to finder on the Mac they are all MKV files, when i go through the 203 via the network it sees all files that have a Dolby track as the audio and they show up as MPEG files and I cannot get the audio but do get video to work and depending on which Dolby is on the file such as ATMOS i get the message "file type not supported". All files that have a DTS audio track show up as MKV's and everything plays fine
post #8352 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
Looking for a little help. I have had the 203 for a couple of weeks, i have all of my files on a QNAP has drive and according to finder on the Mac they are all MKV files, when i go through the 203 via the network it sees all files that have a Dolby track as the audio and they show up as MPEG files and I cannot get the audio but do get video to work and depending on which Dolby is on the file such as ATMOS i get the message "file type not supported". All files that have a DTS audio track show up as MKV's and everything plays fine
That sounds like a DLNA server on the QNAP is performing some conversions that don't need to be done. Do you have any sort of administrator's interface to it, or a way of changing its default behavior?

-Bill

post #8353 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:52 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I've had the Oppo 203 for a couple weeks now and use it mostly for mkv local file streaming from my NAS. While the menu for this seems clunky, I've endured it because the playback is flawless and pq is pretty good. I went for the Oppo because I wanted an all in one solution for discs and mkv playback, but I just picked up an Nvidia Shield TV to play with.

While I'm still getting the settings on the Shield right for streaming locally through SPMC/Kodi, I'm wondering if anyone has compared playback of mkv files for picture quality between the Oppo 203 (or even 103..not the 103D though) and an Nvidia Shield TV (could be the older model to).
Wondering if the pq is comparable or if it's a big difference.

I'm using a JVC X750R projector as a display btw.
I was very tempted to get one for the same reason but I was pretty much assured the upscaling isn't good on the shield including the new one. I've found a few issues with mkv streaming playback (not on all files) so I keep thinking about the shield. Plus the menu as you said is a bit clunky as that isn't it's primary function - wouldn't it be great if Oppo made one where that was it's primary function?)
post #8354 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
i think it is the HDMI socket ! Oppo tried to imply it was the cable! But I eventually got home menu to work and now it is worse then ever! I have tried 3 different HDMI cables and sometimes they work fine and sometimes it flashes on and off with sparkles . IT has taken to go to green screen at times meaning no input found! Yet home menu worked fine yesterday! Ohhh well . I gues I will call them if they say it is the cable again (which it can not be) they've I will just have to put up with the imperfection. But it is hard to set things in the menu with it flashing on and off! And last night it did not even do that ! I was able to get the firmware update done ! it did not help the situation. 😳
That's REALLY interesting Big. I too think it's the socket. My cable fits really loosely into the socket and you trying different cables would seem to confirm this. Sometimes if I even touch my 203 I don't get a picture. I'm not sure how to approach OPPO about this.
Carter

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
post #8355 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Bill;
Since day one, my 203 has simply been fine in every respect! Immediately downloaded 1229b on the day it became available. Now w/the public version available, no need to download-correct? Thanks!
Dr Tube likes this.
post #8356 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
I've had the Oppo 203 for a couple weeks now and use it mostly for mkv local file streaming from my NAS. While the menu for this seems clunky, I've endured it because the playback is flawless and pq is pretty good. I went for the Oppo because I wanted an all in one solution for discs and mkv playback, but I just picked up an Nvidia Shield TV to play with.

While I'm still getting the settings on the Shield right for streaming locally through SPMC/Kodi, I'm wondering if anyone has compared playback of mkv files for picture quality between the Oppo 203 (or even 103..not the 103D though) and an Nvidia Shield TV (could be the older model to).

You shouldn't have any issues with that PJ model and the Shield. I do not recommend running the Shield/Kodi through the Oppo right now until they get the input frame rate issues sorted (if you don't use Kodi or other players that can adjust the frame rate it doesn't matter as much since most streaming services are fixed @60 anyway).

Some display combinations have issues with Android boxes like the Shield and color conversion which is why you'll see the occasional post complaining about the Shield TV's video quality - there's probably extra conversion steps going on between YCBR, RGB, back, etc. With your PJ make sure the Shield's HDMI settings are set to auto (which works well for the JVC) and verify on the PJ what color settings you are getting/it is outputting.

In Kodi (I recommend joining the Krypton beta via Google Play and using the latest Kodi RC) make sure refresh rate switching is on and "adjust display to refresh rate" is OFF. The latter, in addition to messing with the audio/video by adding processing, also disables HD audio output and only sends LCPM to your AVR.

Overall you'll probably find picture and audio quality for high-end MKV files (such as untouched BD rips) to be the same between this or playing them on the Oppo directly over SMB. If you see banding or washed out colors you probably have a colorspace conversion issue somewhere in your chain.
Operon likes this.
post #8357 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Bill;
Since day one, my 203 has simply been fine in every respect! Immediately downloaded 1229b on the day it became available. Now w/the public version available, no need to download-correct? Thanks!
Correct. It is the same firmware, just marked production. Clearing the decks for things to come.

-Bill
budeone and Dr Tube like this.

post #8358 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mak View Post
With help from several folks and Oppo, I found out the problem of why I couldn't play some 4K MKV files. All problematic video got the same format profile like 'Main [email protected]@main'. Below is one example of the problematic video:

ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main [email protected]@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 28s 833ms
Bit rate : 61.2 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels

According to Oppo 203, they only support 5.0 / 5.1, so I need to change the format profile to something like 'Main [email protected]@main'. Since I am a totally newbie here, could anybody provide some step-by-step instructions on how to perform the transcoding using tools like ffmpeg or handbrake? Will the transcoding take exterme long time for large files?

Thanks again.
I wrote about that issue a while back and was told that the Oppo may not have the processing power to handle 6.1 encoding. I don't know if that is true or not. I'm thinking re-encoding may give you less than ideal quality but I could be wrong.
post #8359 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

The Shield is woeful at upscaling 720/1080 to 2160 output, it has been discussed on many forums many many times, in SPMC you can enable high quality scalers such as spline360, these will redress the balance quite a bit but the Oppo upscaling is still better.
post #8360 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If anyone has a LG B6 OLED any chance you can test out the HDMI/ARC input on the 203 to see if it works. I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my TVs ARC function or if the 2 products simply don't talk to each other. The 203 is the second device I could not get ARC to work with the TV so it may be something wrong with the TV.

Thanks

Last edited by Lenthan; 01-20-2017 at 07:21 AM.
post #8361 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Shield is woeful at upscaling 720/1080 to 2160 output, it has been discussed on many forums many many times, in SPMC you can enable high quality scalers such as spline360, these will redress the balance quite a bit but the Oppo upscaling is still better.
Thanks. I still have thousands of TV episodes and a couple hundred movies still at 720p as they haven't been released on BD yet. I still notice a big improvement when the source is 1080 vs. 720 but my 4K discs don't seem that noticeable - might be the discs I have though. Once my collection of 4K discs gets larger I'll have a better feel although it will take time as I'm not double dipping on old ones.

While the Oppo menu for streaming might be primitive it really does help make the material look great. On the plus side the 203 menu is a little faster when you have folders with a large amount of files or folders. I'm glad there are so many posts from streamers lately as there are some people who insist the Oppo is only for shiny disks can get a little dismissive of those of us who like to convert our collections.
post #8362 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
I have a QNAP NAS as well and granted I haven't spent too much time tinkering but almost none of my files would play when using the DLNA protocol with it. Would always see a "File type not supported." dialog.

However, using SMB, every container type and codec works without issue.
post #8363 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:36 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenthan View Post
If anyone has a LG B6 OLED any chance you can test out the HDMI/ARC input on the 203 to see if it works. I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my TVs ARC function or if the 2 products simply don't talk to each other. The 203 is the second device I could not get ARC to work with the TV so it may be something wrong with the TV.

Thanks
I forget if we've been through this, but only the second HDMI port on the LG has ARC. Is that what you are using? And you have to use HDMI1 on the OPPO.

Is there a setup in the TV that has to be enabled? I presume you've been through the menus.

-Bill

post #8364 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8317
Quote:
So they didn't do any other bug fixes or improvements in the last 17 days?
They didn't make any changes in Public Beta 1229B when re-releasing it for Internet install as Official 1229. This is not unusual. When feedback on a Public Beta indicates it is stable enough to include in newly shipped units, and a significant improvement over the prior Official firmware, it is promoted to Official status.

Making additional changes in it at the same time would be unusual, as no customers would have had a chance to try them and report on them yet.

As a Beta Tester I can not comment on work in progress towards the next firmware release, but I think it's a good bet the next firmware release after 1229 will include additional bug fixes.
--Bob
TomcatTLC likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8365 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:

I forget if we've been through this, but only the second HDMI port on the LG has ARC. Is that what you are using? And you have to use HDMI1 on the OPPO.

Is there a setup in the TV that has to be enabled? I presume you've been through the menus.

-Bill
Bill,

The Oppo is hooked via HDMI1 and the TV via HDMI2. Then the Oppo is hooked to my ARV via HDMI2. I turned on simplink on the TV(LGs HDMI-CEC). It seems like that should do it but alas no audio. I think it's either something not compatible with the 2 devices or there is something wrong with the TV.

Thanks
post #8366 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenthan View Post
Bill,

The Oppo is hooked via HDMI1 and the TV via HDMI2. Then the Oppo is hooked to my ARV via HDMI2. I turned on simplink on the TV(LGs HDMI-CEC). It seems like that should do it but alas no audio. I think it's either something not compatible with the 2 devices or there is something wrong with the TV.

Thanks
Ok, and you use the Input button on the OPPO remote, choose ARC and get nothing?

-Bill

post #8367 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Says Home screen on front of Oppo 203 yet nothing shows up in the tv . I put in another disc, this time UHD dusc and it played fine. But I can no home screen when I eject the movie ! Very odd !
Press the Resolution button lower left on the Remote. One of three things will appear in the Front Panel: Auto, Custom, or Direct. Use Up/Down Arrow to switch to Auto or Direct (try both if need be) and press Enter to see if that gets you video.

What you are reporting is that your cabling is not carrying the /60 video from Home Menu, but is OK with the /24 video from movies. Auto or Source Direct should get you Home Menu back so you can get into Setup and check, your Video Output settings.

MOST OF THE TIME problems like this have to do with HDMI cabling. Start by unplugging and replugging each HDMI plug from end to end in the HDMI chain. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Be sure the plugs are reinserted straight into the sockets with nothing, e.g., cable weight, tugging on them in any direction.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8368 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Ok, and you use the Input button on the OPPO remote, choose ARC and get nothing?

-Bill
Yeah, it says ARC is connecting then pops up and says ARC not available please make sure the TV has ARC capability and it's turned on
post #8369 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
That's REALLY interesting Big. I too think it's the socket. My cable fits really loosely into the socket and you trying different cables would seem to confirm this. Sometimes if I even touch my 203 I don't get a picture. I'm not sure how to approach OPPO about this.
Carter
Like all mechanical things, HDMI plugs and sockets have fit tolerances, and either your cable plugs or the socket may be giving you a loose fit. If you've tried different cables and still have easy loss of signal if you lightly touch the plug in socket, then just tell that to OPPO Support. Trying cables is certainly easier than shipping the player, so that's obviously the first thing to try. But if that isn't doing it, then you've got 2 years of Warranty coverage on the player.
--Bob
Carter D and Bigmoviefan like this.

post #8370 of 37249 Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
There is only 1 HDMI input on the 203.

N64, did you reset the player and clear persistent storage after updating the FW?
Got my inputs and output totals confused....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page