Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 284 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279334Likes

post #8491 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What happens if Oppo sends a blank 1080p/60Hz picture to an AVR that expects 1080p/50Hz?
Will the AVR still lock onto the audio sent on the HDMI audio only port?
- Or is this in fact a non-existent scenario in the first place?

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V

Last edited by Extreman; 01-20-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
anyone else have issues connecting to the server to download the fw update? mine keeps saying can't connect to the server .my unit is online
Another poster here reported the same problem earlier today. Others of us, though, perhaps most, got the download from the Oppo server very quickly.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #8493 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4672 Post(s)
Liked: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickCardo View Post
Couldn't hook it up to display in living room, US Open Tennis being watched. Took it to the basement tv, hooked it up and it was in fact at the firmware update prompt. Hit LATER nd could go through all the menus. Hooked to ethernet and network setup shows it is connected to my LAN. Now tray opens and I can button it down. Thanks so much for telling me I could just unplug it and move it. I wasn't sure about that part.

Now the latest firmware was 1-19 and it wants to update to 33-1229 from 1209. I'm upgrading to 1229. Any advice about 1-19??
1229 is what you want. Lots of fixes.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8494 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Amused** View Post
Ok, thanks. Can the 203 read DSD files that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMB: yes. DLNA: depends on what types of files the server recognizes. I probably tested it but don't remember the results with my setup.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #8495 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I have a Marantz AV7702MKII, and sometimes if the 203 starts too early I get a black screen with no signal to the tv requiring a 203 power cycle. I removed the 203 from my Harmony power on sequence, and now turn the 203 on when I see the Marantz logo on the screen. Other than that, it works fine with the 203.
I have the marantz av8802a and the same thing would happen when booting up with the oppo no matter if going to my jvcx7000 or Pio kuro. And would have to power cycle the Marantz.Replacing the oppo203 with a pana ub900 fixed that problem not seen a black screen or hand shake issue since ... the problem is with the oppo I know this since not a problem I saw with the sammy uhd player either
post #8496 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Harmony vs. Oppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
Do any of you guys have this player synced with a Harmony Hub (smart) remote? I have it hooked up to a Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver, then going to my LG OLED55C6 TV. When I switch from my Watch TV activity, always on the first try I think I get some sort of HDMI handshake issue where the receiver won't pick up the signal. Usually I have to turn off the player and then it works when I turn it back on. If I switch back to the Watch TV activity, then try it again it always works. Not quite sure what's going on. I've tried decreasing the power on delays (on all devices), but that didn't do anything. I've tried creating another activity where I switch the inputs (as well as with the original remotes) first, then power on the player and that always works on first try. But in the settings I can't seem to find a way to move the power on for the Oppo player down below when the devices switch inputs. So I'm out of idea's on how to proceed so it always works on the first time.
There have been a number of posts on the Harmony and the 203 today. Personally, what I did was to make the 203 last to startup (my 103 was always first), and to set the inter-device delays high. That seems to give enough time for the TV/AVR to be up before the 203 comes up. I've also noticed that if I turn the 203 on by putting in a new disc, and then go turn things on with the Harmony, it always works.

I don't have the perfect sequence yet (I'd like to reduce some of the delays), and I will probably play some more with the delays this weekend. It's interesting, because with my LG EF9500 and my Denon 4200, I've not had issues with my other devices. Something about the way the 203 powers on and does its HDMI handshake is different.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
post #8497 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
anyone else have issues connecting to the server to download the fw update? mine keeps saying can't connect to the server .my unit is online
I backed up my settings and did a reset before doing the firmware upgrade. The download and upgrade itself was done in less than a few minutes with no problems.

Anthem AVM 60, 7.2.4 configuration with Emotive XPA-7 Gen3 and Anthem PVA 4 amplifiers.
B&W 683 S2 (FLR); B&W HTM61 S2 (C); B&W 685 S2 (SLR); B&W 685 S2 (RSLR); 4 x B&W CCM663 (Ceiling/Presence/Atmos); 2 x Sunfire HRS-12 (Subwoofers)
LG OLED65E6P, OPPO UDP-203, Project RPM1 Carbon Turntable, Apple TV 4K, Ultralink HDC-150 Power, Harmony Elite Remote, Arris Cable Box, Primacoustics London 12 Room Treatment
post #8498 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Couldn't hook it up to display in living room, US Open Tennis being watched. Took it to the basement tv, hooked it up and it was in fact at the firmware update prompt. Hit LATER nd could go through all the menus. Hooked to ethernet and network setup shows it is connected to my LAN. Now tray opens and I can button it down. Thanks so much for telling me I could just unplug it and move it. I wasn't sure about that part.

Now the latest firmware was 1-19 and it wants to update to 33-1229 from 1209. I'm upgrading to 1229. Any advice about 1-19??
My Blu-Ray discs look and sound great. The DVD discs look as good as ever on my 1080p display. The audio on both is great. Now all I need is a 4k TV and discs and I'll be ready to enjoy.
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #8499 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I have the marantz av8802a and the same thing would happen when booting up with the oppo no matter if going to my jvcx7000 or Pio kuro. And would have to power cycle the Marantz.Replacing the oppo203 with a pana ub900 fixed that problem not seen a black screen or hand shake issue since ... the problem is with the oppo I know this since not a problem I saw with the sammy uhd player either
Good, you're all set!
Maybe the 203 is booting/handshaking faster, ever think of that?

Glad you got it sorted with the 900, but that has nothing to do with the 203.
cnjax, tkusterb and captainbrent like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #8500 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
You sent the Oppo back for whatever reasons you are entitled to, but comments like this just contribute to more noise in an already busy thread. Please keep Oppo vs Panasonic discussions in the proper thread. Thanks.
gsr, gwsat, leemathre and 8 others like this.
post #8501 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
So if I understand what you are saying is the OPPO starts too fast cause it has a very fast processing chip so that is an OPPO problem....?
Perhaps people need to program their remotes to allow for state of the art equipment that has fast processors. I love the Panny but no need to knock the OPPO cause it performs its job faster.
deckarep and captainbrent like this.

Clark
post #8502 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Quote:
Good, you're all set!
Maybe the 203 is booting/handshaking faster, ever think of that?

Glad you got it sorted with the 900, but that has nothing to do with the 203.
ah so you are THE OPPOlogiser never mind remember what I said there is a PANAcea take one and all the pain goes away

Did you ever consider the poor fellow is scratching his head wondering what the go is and where the problem lies in his other gear when the problem lies in oppo since at least two other uhd blu ray players do not exhibit this. ofcourse we can work around this and make apologies on oppos behalf or they can fix it so it works like other uhd players or heck their very own previous blu-ray players that people don't see this issue with. Think about that one for a minute. For your information I have on record from oppo that their 203 has handshake issues with marantz and d&m products .. think about that one as well ....
post #8503 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
app. sound to the receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Bob,

Something non-intuitive in the AV field? Never! :-)

Lentham,

I've got an E6 and have ARC working. The setup should be the same for all of the 2016 OLEDs. I'm doing ARC to my Marantz AVR, not the 203, so no idea if the 203 has any problems with ARC but it shouldn't.

Anyway, first you need to have ARC enabled at both ends. In the interests of making that simple and intuitive, to enable ARC for the LG you need to turn Simplink on in the General menu. To enable it for the 203 you need to turn HDMI CEC on in the Device menu. Both devices offer options for whether CEC control is going to do things like enable automated switching of power on and off between devices. I tend to turn that off but you can play with the settings and options. Do a bit of manual reading for both devices to get a handle on what the control options are.

Getting CEC control enabled allows ARC to work. It does not tell the LG to send audio via ARC. You have to do that separately.

Go into the LG's Sound Menu, and down to Sound Out. Select Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC). That tells the LG to output digital audio via the optical output and via ARC. There should be a Digital Sound Out setting there as well and you need to set it to Auto. If you set it to PCM you will not be able to output multichannel Dolby soundtracks, all you will get is stereo PCM. Auto plays games with some source formats and you will end up with PCM output for some things but it is the best setting given that it is the only alternative to PCM.

I think that's all of it. It took me a while to work it all out and get it working so there may be another setting involved somewhere but I don't think so. I sat down with the manuals again while writing this and can't see anything else that's relevant but the LG web manual doesn't make it easy.

Hope this gets you up and running.
David, you are able to get sound from the LF apps. without using an optical cable with the above settings? Only thing different for me is I am using a Denon 6200W. I guess I am going to try again. Thanks, I think.
post #8504 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:

As Bill (AKA: wmcclain) already said, you want the 1229 update that was just released yesterday as official firmware.

(You can pretty much count on anything Bill offers up as gospel, now that he's gotten off that high horse of his. )
post #8505 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Quote:

So if I understand what you are saying is the OPPO starts too fast cause it has a very fast processing chip so that is an OPPO problem....?
Perhaps people need to program their remotes to allow for state of the art equipment that has fast processors. I love the Panny but no need to knock the OPPO cause it performs its job faster.
No it's an oppo problem they need to resolve. It is NOT an issue will see with at least two other uhd blu-ray players. And also NOT an issue will see even with their own previous blu-ray players. Your welcome to hide this one under the carpet but people need to know it's an issue with the oppo 203 that oppo need to fix
post #8506 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatebender View Post
David, you are able to get sound from the LF apps. without using an optical cable with the above settings? Only thing different for me is I am using a Denon 6200W. I guess I am going to try again. Thanks, I think.
Yes, I get sound and the sound is good.

I'm in Australia and cable isn't a big thing here. I watch over the air TV broadcasts and I use the Netflix app on my E6 and I get sound from both using the settings I mentioned. I also get problems with the TV switching inputs on my Marantz AVR when I don't want that to happen but that's the cost of using ARC. ARC has problems but provided it's working, the problems aren't sound related problems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life would be so much better if instead of S/PDIF outputs and ARC for digital audio out, TV manufacturers just gave us an HDMI out as well as HDMI inputs. You would avoid all of the problems that arise from using ARC and you would avoid all of the limitations that exist with what kind of audio can get passed by S/PDIF and ARC. It wouldn't even need to be an HDMI 2.0 output, HDMI 1.4 would be fine.
RichB, galonzo and Socketman like this.
post #8507 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You sent the Oppo back for whatever reasons you are entitled to, but comments like this just contribute to more noise in an already busy thread. Please keep Oppo vs Panasonic discussions in the proper thread. Thanks.
I think it's fair to say it's not Panasonic promotion, but merely illustration that the problem is most likely with the Oppo, and not the other components.

The most annoying part of this thread is the shoot it down and pound it into oblivion approach to anything that possibly could be Oppos fault. Being open minded and neutral is a positive.

I own a 203, and still, I'm very aware of its flaws.

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #8508 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Well, I finally got off my duff and installed my UDP-203, which has been waiting patiently for my attention ever since it arrived nine days ago.

I'm happy to report that I encountered no problems whatsoever. The BDP's main HDMI out is connected to my AVR-X5200W and from there via HDMI to my XBR-55HX929 HDTV. I ran Cat5e ethernet to the Oppo from my router through a gigabit switch. When I hit the Oppo's power button it immediately established the network connection and politely asked me whether I wanted to download the 1229 update (silly question). About two minutes later, the download complete, it rebooted and all was gravy.

While I wait for my first UHD BRD to arrive from 3D-BluRayRental.com (I Am Legend), I tested out play back using the 2D and 3D Japanese edition Blu-rays of Nature (aka Enchanted Kingdom). Both PQ and AQ (Dolby Atmos) were glitch-free. I also tried out a DVD with similarly good results.

I realize that the real stress test will come with a UHD disc and a UHD display, but I hope to get there in short order. In the meantime, I am very impressed with the build quality of this unit as well as the features, user options, and information overlays/display screen. I intend to keep my region-free Sony BDP-S5200 in the mix for backup and to play out-of-region DVD's and BRD's, but the Oppo is going to be my default player for shiny discs from now on.
stikle likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #8509 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
This is an owner's thread. If you are not an owner or no longer an owner, please take it to the comparison thread.
gsr, brentsg, leemathre and 5 others like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #8510 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Quote:
No it's an oppo problem they need to resolve. It is NOT an issue will see with at least two other uhd blu-ray players. And also NOT an issue will see even with their own previous blu-ray players. Your welcome to hide this one under the carpet but people need to know it's an issue with the oppo 203 that oppo need to fix
Is it an Oppo problem?

I've got an LG E6, a Marantz 6010, and a 203. The signal passes from the 203 through the 6010 to the TV. I don't use a universal remote, I use the remotes from each device. I start the TV first, then the 60010, then the 203. Sometimes I run into problems and get a black screen because the handshake hasn't happened the way it should. Each of the 3 devices has it's own startup time and I use ARC between the TV and the 6010 which mucks things up some time because the TV gets the Marantz to switch inputs during it's handshake with the 6010 and I think the 6010 doesn't handle handshaking with the 203 all that well if it's juggling things from the handshake with the TV. Sometimes I just manage to press the various on buttons with just the right amount of pause in between and everything goes as smoothly as I could ever wish for. The whole handshake thing is a bit of a mess because it depends on timing and device startup is never instantaneous. It would be great if everything could start up before I picked up the next remote and pressed the next power on button but I can swap remotes and press buttons faster than some of my components can start up and commence or receive a handshake signal.

The 203 may be starting up too quickly for your display, but it doesn't start up too quickly for other displays or devices. If it starts up too quickly for one display but not for another, is the problem the 203 starting up too quickly or the display starting up too slowly? If I had the display first, bought the 203 and then started running into problems I hadn't had before, I'd say it was the 203. If I had the 203 first, hadn't been having problems, replaced my TV and started running into the problem I'd say it was the TV. We blame the device whose introduction triggers the problem but I'm not convinced either device is necessarily doing anything "wrong". They've both doing what they're allowed to do and they both work fine with some other devices, they just don't play well together and if that's the situation you're faced with then you either accommodate to what is required to get them to play together or decide which device you're going to replace and that needn't be the most recent one added even if that one was the trigger for the problem appearing. Changing something in player A in order to get it to play well with display X could end up triggering problems when player A is used with display Y and what is a "fix" for your problem could end up causing a problem for someone else whose system was working fine prior to the change that fixed things for you.

I'm not trying to minimise the problem and I'm not saying it shouldn't happen. I am saying that I don't think either device is necessarily doing anything wrong and it isn't at all clear to me that "fixing the problem" by changing one device's behaviour isn't going to trigger problems in other systems where the change that has been made triggers an issue with the device's interaction with some other component. Unfortunately getting devices from different manufacturers to play well together is not always as simple as it should be.
post #8511 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ah so you are THE OPPOlogiser never mind remember what I said there is a PANAcea take one and all the pain goes away

Did you ever consider the poor fellow is scratching his head wondering what the go is and where the problem lies in his other gear when the problem lies in oppo since at least two other uhd blu ray players do not exhibit this. ofcourse we can work around this and make apologies on oppos behalf or they can fix it so it works like other uhd players or heck their very own previous blu-ray players that people don't see this issue with. Think about that one for a minute. For your information I have on record from oppo that their 203 has handshake issues with marantz and d&m products .. think about that one as well ....
Fwiw, My Sammy K8500 is NOT perfect, regardless of the masses.
I've had to reset Lip Sync numerous times.
Do what you need to do, IDGAS what you do.
It's a disc player, not happy? Move on, return, and get another player
I don't care what you do.
Going there is WEAK.
hmuller and cnjax like this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #8512 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Anyone with a PS4 pro that can test the hdmi input on the 203?

My avr does not support 4K so was wondering if I ran the PS4 pro to the 203 input and separated the hdmi signal there if it would work
post #8513 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life would be so much better if instead of S/PDIF outputs and ARC for digital audio out, TV manufacturers just gave us an HDMI out as well as HDMI inputs. You would avoid all of the problems that arise from using ARC and you would avoid all of the limitations that exist with what kind of audio can get passed by S/PDIF and ARC. It wouldn't even need to be an HDMI 2.0 output, HDMI 1.4 would be fine.
ABSOLUTELY !

- Rich
RLAbbott25 likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #8514 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Just dwnlded 1229, Has HDMI IN > Lip Sync issue been resolved?
post #8515 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

My avr does not support 4K so was wondering if I ran the PS4 pro to the 203 input and separated the hdmi signal there if it would work
Probably lip sync issues, In hasn't been fixed yet.

post #8516 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post
Just dwnlded 1229, Has the HDMI in Lip Sync issue been resolved?
Not yet.

-Bill

post #8517 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:35 PM

Not fully concerned about the lip sync issues just wondering if anyone can test it for me.
post #8518 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I have a PS4 Pro and no, what you are thinking won't work.

Honestly, if you have a 4k display with a non-4k AVR (or more likely a "4k" AVR that doesn't support HDCP 2.2) the easiest answer is always "bite the bullet and upgrade your AVR". Otherwise it will always be the weakest element in your chain no matter how good it might still be in other aspects.

Or, if the AVR you have is that expensive, then buy a HDFury integral/linker, which may work depending on your use case. Not cheap, though.
post #8519 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Thank you, great answer and information here.

So in summary, going to run some comparisons between:
A. Oppo set to upscale; JVC with eshift = off (after I figure out if I can get the Oppo to upscale AND still see the menu system)
B. Oppo not set to upscale; JVC with eshift = on

As for the Nvidia Shield, I was thinking I'd use it (SPMC) for local streaming, but I don't think there's an easy way to have it play native source and then let the JVC upscale it (assuming I like B better above), because once the Shield is set to 4K/60 it upconverts everything regardless. Thus, I'd have to go into the Display settings before playback of different source content (4K vs. 1080p).
Correct. The simple (and contentious) answer for the Shield, including the new models (which hardware wise are the same) is, best results for the JVC e-shift (and probably others) is to set the Shield to output 2k and let the PJ upscale. Looks quite good in my opinion.

This means that when you watch actual 4k content from Netflix, Amazon, etc. you'll need to change it manually in the Shield first. This isn't ideal, but there is so little 4k/HDR content from streaming services as it is that I don't find it to be too much trouble - yet. Most of my 4k viewing is done via UHD on the Oppo via disk. For 2k, ripped BD works just great through the Shield to the PJ if you set it up right, which includes not having the Shield do any upscaling. It would be great if Nvidia had a "native' resolution feature but it doesn't.
post #8520 of 37514 Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 PM

Ok what I was thinking is.

If I run the PS4 pro to the input on the 203 I run 2 hdmi outs one to my projector for 4K and one to my avr for audio. That's what I was wondering if it would work.

Yes my avr is a Denon x5200 so upgrading to a higher end atmos would be very costly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page