Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279373Likes

post #8521 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I said goodbye to my oppo yesterday, will re visit in 6 months when perhaps its ready for prime time. Posted my thoughts here comparing with the pana after owning the oppo for some 30+ days,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49985617
Al that was a fast 6 months I'm glad you're hanging around. I think it shows you really haven't given up on the OPPO yet despite the negative commentary. No other reason you'd be hanging around in this thread.

We can probably find a buyer for your 900 but you best hurry. The new cheaper Pannys are close to coming out with the same picture quality as the 900. I guess if that's true then OPPO better look out.

Hey just having fun. Both are great players and it's good to put pressure on OPPO. It pushes them even more to have the best UHD player.
AidenL likes this.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
And I believe they will.
Panny is fine till they get PUNKED
jjwinterberg likes this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #8523 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolutioN64 View Post
Anybody else having SEVERE hdmi handshaking issues after the update? I have a Pioneer Elite SC-95 and now I have to either power off the receiver or the player once I start the playing the actual movie from the Top Menu on a UHD blu-ray. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the handshake problem after the update and was able to fix it by turning off HDMI-CEC in the tv as well as the Oppo. Unfortunately it has come back. Are you using a Harmony Remote to do the startup? Seems to be a common denominator with the handshake issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
thatguy1985 likes this.

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8524 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Ok what I was thinking is.

If I run the PS4 pro to the input on the 203 I run 2 hdmi outs one to my projector for 4K and one to my avr for audio. That's what I was wondering if it would work.

Yes my avr is a Denon x5200 so upgrading to a higher end atmos would be very costly
Yes, what you're thinking should work once Oppo gets the HDMI lip sync issue sorted out as that's the whole point of the dual HDMI outputs. I don't have a PS4, so I can't test the specific combination for you.
post #8525 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Can't the lip sync get corrected sort of in the avr.
post #8526 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Is this your 1st blu-ray player? Because its light-speed fast to boot up compared to most others. It may be taking a while for you to see an image due to prolonged handshaking. Anyway the issues you describe might suggest a need for a new cable or two.
Nope, have another Samsung BD-F5700 that starts up almost instantly (not 4K mind you). Also tested a Samsung UBDK8500 for a few weeks before I bought this that seemed to a tad quicker. The cables I bought were brand new from Amazon, so I don't think the issue is that. Since if I switch the inputs before turning on the player and it works every time, I agree with @dcbii below that it seems to be a handshake issue when it powers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
There have been a number of posts on the Harmony and the 203 today. Personally, what I did was to make the 203 last to startup (my 103 was always first), and to set the inter-device delays high. That seems to give enough time for the TV/AVR to be up before the 203 comes up. I've also noticed that if I turn the 203 on by putting in a new disc, and then go turn things on with the Harmony, it always works.

I don't have the perfect sequence yet (I'd like to reduce some of the delays), and I will probably play some more with the delays this weekend. It's interesting, because with my LG EF9500 and my Denon 4200, I've not had issues with my other devices. Something about the way the 203 powers on and does its HDMI handshake is different.
Thanks, I tested changing the inter-device delay to like 3400 or so but didn't notice any difference when I tested it. So if you find a setting that works good for you, please post it! I agree it seems there's some sort of HDMI handshake the 203 does when it power's on. Hopefully it's a firmware fix and not a hardware one that we can get an update from Oppo later.
post #8527 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Can't the lip sync get corrected sort of in the avr.
From my experimentation when I got it, it varies. Not sure if its randomly dropping frames, or something else. But sometimes it would be fine, and then it would get wonky.
post #8528 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
What happens if Oppo sends a blank 1080p/60Hz picture to an AVR that expects 1080p/50Hz?
Will the AVR still lock onto the audio sent on the HDMI audio only port?
- Or is this in fact a non-existent scenario in the first place?
The HDMI handshake is supposed to prevent such issues. The OPPO and the AVR negotiate what to send so there is no disagreement like this.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8529 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
No it's an oppo problem they need to resolve. It is NOT an issue will see with at least two other uhd blu-ray players. And also NOT an issue will see even with their own previous blu-ray players. Your welcome to hide this one under the carpet but people need to know it's an issue with the oppo 203 that oppo need to fix
Ever notice/check the ethernet port on the 203? The port is gigabit; should be faster than most other componets but don't know about the 203 wifi. My Yamaha 2050 only has a 10/100 port as did my Sony Blu-ray players. Don't know what the Samsung 'smart'tv has BUT no matter what I do with the Harmony settings, the 'smart'hub sticks it nose to display before anything else as it ignores any hdmi settings unless the port is setup explicitly to run a command like "inputhdmi2' on the hdmi2 port.

Also, is there a slight delay on the AVR before it really is powered up? like a slight 'click' after the AVR is turned on? A relic from the tube days so that full power isn't sent to blow out the speakers or something like that. You might power up the 203 prior to the AVR since there is a built-in delay in the AVR. Would be interesting to know whether the handshaking is done before the 'click' on the AVR or after the AVR is really running.

My handshaking is somewhat fixed by having the Harmony hub set explicit commands to my Samsung KS9000. The 'somewhat' is in relation when using the KS9000 app as there is NO input needed to the TV; the software still expects to 'see' an input & there is no way to have the TV power up with an app as the 'input' so that there isn't a screen saying I should enter the source.

If I didn't encounter a 'handshaking' problem before the Oppo, I might have said the 203 was the problem. However, I do know that the ks9000 'one-connect smarthub' ignores any handshaking as it will do its own thing. Drove me nuts when powering up to watch TV, having both video & sound coming from the TV & still the Samsung software will hunt/scan the one-connect hub's hdmi ports & land on, usually, hdmi3 which isn't connected to anything; then I have to go thru the select 'source', etc just to watch news on TV.
post #8530 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really?

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #8531 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
And I believe they will.
Panny is fine till they get PUNKED
We'll' we will see my Friend.
post #8532 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
We'll' we will see my Friend.
we certainly will.🙌
richlife likes this.

post #8533 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksno1 View Post
Nope, have another Samsung BD-F5700 that starts up almost instantly (not 4K mind you). Also tested a Samsung UBDK8500 for a few weeks before I bought this that seemed to a tad quicker. The cables I bought were brand new from Amazon, so I don't think the issue is that. Since if I switch the inputs before turning on the player and it works every time, I agree with @dcbii below that it seems to be a handshake issue when it powers on.

Thanks, I tested changing the inter-device delay to like 3400 or so but didn't notice any difference when I tested it. So if you find a setting that works good for you, please post it! I agree it seems there's some sort of HDMI handshake the 203 does when it power's on. Hopefully it's a firmware fix and not a hardware one that we can get an update from Oppo later.
What finally worked for me was setting the Oppo to power on last. I set the "power on delay" option to 11 secs.
muzz likes this.
post #8534 of 37553 Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Regarding the ability to bitstream Atmos from a MKV file, according to Oppo that function is currently being worked on, and it will be in a future firmware release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Not from MKV.

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
I have seen M2TS playing back Ok over NFS & SMB, and (iirc was Atmos) BDMV structure.
BakeApples likes this.

Last edited by rvfav; 01-21-2017 at 10:22 PM.
post #8535 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Watched Ender's Game tonight and had a freeze which lasted 5-10 seconds before it jumped ahead about 4 minutes. A few small stutters too.

The biggest problem though was the black level. I'm using an LG B6 OLED and the blacks weren't very black. Hell the top and bottom widescreen bars were lit even. It was like watching on a badly edge lit LCD. Is this just crappy HDR encoding or something else? Popped in Oblivion afterwards and pitch black. Couldn't tell where the edge of the tv was.
post #8536 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfav View Post
Regarding the ability to bitstream Atmos from a MKV file, according to Oppo that function is currently being worked on, and we'll be in a future firmware release.
I always said that it was probably an oversight, other people who think they know stuff insisted it was due to HDCP.2.2 or Dolby Licensing, even faced with the fact that other HDCP2.2 media players could output Atmos AND the fact you don't need a Licence to bitstream still doesn't deter them.
rvfav likes this.
post #8537 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
From my experimentation when I got it, it varies. Not sure if its randomly dropping frames, or something else. But sometimes it would be fine, and then it would get wonky.
I can confirm that, exactly the same here.
gadgtfreek likes this.

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
post #8538 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5499 Post(s)
Liked: 3902
Watched The Magnificent 7 on UHD tonight, and after 25 minutes switched to the blu ray version. IMO, it looks better on regular blu ray than in does with UHD with HDR applied. Elevated blacks and overblown HDR applied to it. Tried the Strip Metadata feature, and it looked really good, except there was some flickering in the brighter scenes. Of all the UHD movies I own, I would say a good 80% are not very impressive, and I prefer the blu ray version. Not the the fault of the OPPO, but if they can ever get the Strip Metadata feature working properly, it will make this player a winner. SDR2020 looks impressive on my E6.
IMDave likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #8539 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I've been away from this thread for a few days, so forgive me if this has been asked or explained already...

Am I correct in understanding that the recent firmware update (which I just updated after being prompted) is actually the same thing as the recent beta release? If so, what gives? If all they were going to do was to finally openly release the recent beta release, why didn't they just do that in the first place? (Weeks ago, when I had to ask for it via email.) Did I just, basically, replace the firmware with the same firmware, but just with a different name?

If, again, this is actually the case, what's the holdup on an actual new update? Does anyone know?

While most of my issues seem to have been addressed with this update (or the beta or... which ever is which, or they're the same, or...), I do still have some stutter/freeze issues. Would love to finally--after about over a month with this thing--finally getting it working error-free.

Just curious.
post #8540 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahndo View Post
I've been away from this thread for a few days, so forgive me if this has been asked or explained already...

Am I correct in understanding that the recent firmware update (which I just updated after being prompted) is actually the same thing as the recent beta release? If so, what gives? If all they were going to do was to finally openly release the recent beta release, why didn't they just do that in the first place? (Weeks ago, when I had to ask for it via email.) Did I just, basically, replace the firmware with the same firmware, but just with a different name?

If, again, this is actually the case, what's the holdup on an actual new update? Does anyone know?

While most of my issues seem to have been addressed with this update (or the beta or... which ever is which, or they're the same, or...), I do still have some stutter/freeze issues. Would love to finally--after about over a month with this thing--finally getting it working error-free.

Just curious.
Essentially it's the same, but an official FW is available online as well as via download. It also has to be pretty solid. Beta FW can be tricky and sometimes can make your player worse.
post #8541 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

It seems like the process is mostly common sense. A release spends some time in beta, which is a status reserved for firmware that isn't blessed for production. People that aren't comfortable with something that hasn't blessed for a full release can hold off. The release proves itself to be beneficial with no adverse side-effects, and after a period of time it becomes an official release. Once that happens it's opened up for auto-download as well as being loaded on freshly manufactured devices. Rinse and repeat.

One important distinction if my understanding is correct is that you can revert from beta firmware, but not from official firmware.

In terms of hold-up, I'd imagine that they have newer firmware currently in the hands of their experienced beta testers. Perhaps that's not even the case, since it takes time to gather feedback, develop a new release, beta test it, then get it out for public beta. Surely you can appreciate that Oppo wants to ensure fixes work as expected and don't cause additional defects.
muzz and Smarty-pants like this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #8542 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:

Just curious.
The firmware is created and tested in house by Oppo and other beta testers to ensure fixes are reliable, features work properly, and hopefully no new bugs are introduced.

While the above is a good thing, there are literally thousands of combinations of different gear and settings that owners use with the player,
so if Oppo deems it safe enough to do so, then the beta firmware (or one similar to it) is released as a beta firmware for public users to use and see if it works as intended. Of course no one is obligated to install beta firmware if they do not wish to try it.
However it is not good to release this type of firmware to thousands of people as official firmware and then discover a major flaw that prevents users from using the player. On the other hand beta firmware from Oppo is usually quite solid.
Once the firmware has then been vetted by more users, then it may be deemed safe enough to use as an official release.
That is what happened with 1229B firmware. Although it may not always happen exactly like that, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Public beta firmware is also good for other things like offering it to certain users with certain issues that the beta firmware might fix,
and on top of that many people will not want to try the beta firmware at all and are more comfortable waiting until they know it won't introduce any new bugs, and they can also easily install it through the Oppo servers from within the player.
While some users are more tech savvy and don't mind manually installing a new update, or trying beta firmware,
not everyone loves to participate on that level, so there needs to be different stages of rollout between updates.

For those who don't realize, there have actually been two solid updates from Oppo since the day the player was released.
With the second update going from beta to official status. This equates to new updates every couple of weeks which is pretty good for the amount of changes they are implementing. They've done quite a bit more than a one-two punch with their updates.
In the meantime Oppo is working on further updates behind the scenes to hopefully fix more bugs and enhance more features,
and it is highly likely that yet another public beta firmware will be available soon.
post #8543 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It seems like the process is mostly common sense. A release spends some time in beta, which is a status reserved for firmware that isn't blessed for production. People that aren't comfortable with something that hasn't blessed for a full release can hold off. The release proves itself to be beneficial with no adverse side-effects, and after a period of time it becomes an official release. Once that happens it's opened up for auto-download as well as being loaded on freshly manufactured devices. Rinse and repeat.

One important distinction if my understanding is correct is that you can revert from beta firmware, but not from official firmware.

In terms of hold-up, I'd imagine that they have newer firmware currently in the hands of their experienced beta testers. Perhaps that's not even the case, since it takes time to gather feedback, develop a new release, beta test it, then get it out for public beta. Surely you can appreciate that Oppo wants to ensure fixes work as expected and don't cause additional defects.
This is true and has been mentioned here several times.

With "official firmware" releases, once they are installed in the player, they can not be rolled back to a previous version.
This restriction actually helps users because sometimes when changes are made to the player, trying to roll back to an older
firmware release can cause the player to malfunction.
There are different parts to the firmware files and if an older part tries to mix with a new part, then it literally could brick the player.

Beta firmware is different and they don't usually include such changes that could hurt the player by rolling back to the version
that was on the player before installing the beta version. So if you do decide to install a beta version, you will be able to
go back to the previous version if the beta firmware causes any new issues that keep you from enjoying the player.

As mentioned above though, Oppo usually has pretty solid firmware before they allow public users to try it.
It is never going to be anything like "experimental" firmware, and even with all of their older players,
I can't even recall more than one or two times that anyone said they had to rollback their firmware.
post #8544 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwiegert View Post
Watched Ender's Game tonight and had a freeze which lasted 5-10 seconds before it jumped ahead about 4 minutes. A few small stutters too.

The biggest problem though was the black level. I'm using an LG B6 OLED and the blacks weren't very black. Hell the top and bottom widescreen bars were lit even. It was like watching on a badly edge lit LCD. Is this just crappy HDR encoding or something else?
I believe I've read that it's a faulty encode and there may be a disc exchange program in the near future.

The issues are addressed in this site's review: https://www.avforums.com/review/ende...y-review.12742
Clark Burk and jude924 like this.

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-21-2017 at 02:31 AM.
post #8545 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Who else is sending 4:4:4 10-bit to their displays? I just started using that set-up vs auto settings which gave me 4:2:2 12-bit. I wanted to send 10-bit to my display as I did with my Samsung K8500. I also turned off video conversion in my Marantz 6010 which seemed to be recommended here. I do not have the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark disc (was thinking of getting it) but I seen some of you have HDR patterns, was just curious on where to locate those and what I needed to download it. Watched my 2nd 4K UHD yesterday, Star Trek Beyond with no audio dropouts or other errors.
jude924 likes this.
post #8546 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
I seen some of you have HDR patterns, was just curious on where to locate those and what I needed to download it.
People seem to be using R Masciola's test patterns, which you can get for a $25 download from his website:

http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html
marcuslaw likes this.
post #8547 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've notice that some Blu-ray discs play at BT2020 444 8 B, some at BT2020 422 12 B all set at Auto in the menu.
Then while playing a 4K disc, I can manually set the player at BT2020 444 12 B.
BT2020 444 12 B seems to have the better picture.
What is the difference in these settings?
I have the latest firmware 1229 and certified HDMI cables.
post #8548 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
I seen some of you have HDR patterns, was just curious on where to locate those and what I needed to download it.
People seem to be using R Masciola's test patterns, which you can get for a $25 download from his website:

http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html

Thank you! I'll check it out
post #8549 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Essentially it's the same, but an official FW is available online as well as via download. It also has to be pretty solid. Beta FW can be tricky and sometimes can make your player worse.
Yes, but Beta rocks!
Did Beta upgrades for years on PC mobos for drag racing.
Can roll back a beta in minutes!

post #8550 of 37553 Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfav View Post
Regarding the ability to bitstream Atmos from a MKV file, according to Oppo that function is currently being worked on, and we'll be in a future firmware release.
That is really great news! I just asked about this the other day and i also sent an email to Oppo support for clarification.

Here's hoping for the next beta FW
boe and rvfav like this.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page