Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 279367Likes

post #8581 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
Correct. The simple (and contentious) answer for the Shield, including the new models (which hardware wise are the same) is, best results for the JVC e-shift (and probably others) is to set the Shield to output 2k and let the PJ upscale. Looks quite good in my opinion.

This means that when you watch actual 4k content from Netflix, Amazon, etc. you'll need to change it manually in the Shield first. This isn't ideal, but there is so little 4k/HDR content from streaming services as it is that I don't find it to be too much trouble - yet. Most of my 4k viewing is done via UHD on the Oppo via disk. For 2k, ripped BD works just great through the Shield to the PJ if you set it up right, which includes not having the Shield do any upscaling. It would be great if Nvidia had a "native' resolution feature but it doesn't.
So do you think lettign the JVC upscale from the Shield is worse than just playing the same ripped content on the Oppo to the JVC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Getting sick of the oppo now. Three nights I sit down to watch a movie. First night, Lucy uhd won't play. I google and find you have to push enter 3 times to play.

The next night I start watching avatar in 3D and half the screen goes missing. So I put in the 2d version get 3/4 through the movie then it locks up .

Tonight I put in deep water horizon uhd and get to 3/4 through the movie and it pauses and won't play anymore . I stop the disc. Can't get the menu screen up . Unplug it from the wall , still won't get the menu screen. So I push the enter button a few times and it goes to the part of the movie that it's paused at. Then finally it takes me back to my home screen.

Is this player just junk? Or are the firm ware updates going to fix this stuff?
Which I must add , it won't let me onto their server to download the latest update. 1129.
What's everyone doing? Is anyone else getting pissed at not being able to watch a movie on a supposedly top notch player?
Very very disappointed in this player , I read a lot of Samsungs uhd player being glitchy , I bought it any way and it hasn't faulted like this thing.
Any advice? Please?
post #8583 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Bandy View Post
Any advice? Please?
You have to get current firmware installed. Nothing else is worth working on until you do that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8584 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
So do you think lettign the JVC upscale from the Shield is worse than just playing the same ripped content on the Oppo to the JVC?
No. I use the Oppo in "direct" mode anyway which means the JVC is upscaling 2k and below content with it too. I think the JVC does a good job upscaling. Better than the Shield does. Whether the Oppo does a better job is much more subjective - I find its upscaling to be a little soft, personally, and others have reported the same. Not terrible, I just prefer to let the JVC do it. E-Shift is still engaged and overall I find it to be a sharper picture.

Going this route also means mkv BD rips will look the same on the Shield through Kodi as they do played on the Oppo. The only drawback is you have to remember to manually change the Shield back to 4k if you are going to watch 4k Netflix, etc. on it before you start the app. Given that there isn't a lot of content in 4k from streaming services (at least that I haven't already watched or am interested in, personally) that doesn't bother me but it would be better if Nvidia made this easier in the future.

Now, if you have a better external scaler, or you prefer the Oppo's scaling - maybe your display device doesn't scale very well - it's a different story. No one right answer here.
post #8585 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwiegert View Post
Watched Ender's Game tonight and had a freeze which lasted 5-10 seconds before it jumped ahead about 4 minutes. A few small stutters too.

The biggest problem though was the black level. I'm using an LG B6 OLED and the blacks weren't very black. Hell the top and bottom widescreen bars were lit even. It was like watching on a badly edge lit LCD. Is this just crappy HDR encoding or something else? Popped in Oblivion afterwards and pitch black. Couldn't tell where the edge of the tv was.
Unfortunately, the UHD version is mastered with an elevated black level.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #8586 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You have to get current firmware installed. Nothing else is worth working on until you do that.

-Bill
I'm trying to update via network it says cannot connect to server?
post #8587 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Wait till the 23rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8588 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
You can download the firmware directly from Oppo's website and update it via a USB thumbdrive. I believe instructions are in the FAQ.

post #8589 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Yeah, Ender's Game 4K UHD needs to be recalled. The disc is definitely defective. I wish I'd know about its problems before I bought it.
Mike_WI likes this.

post #8590 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Wait till the 23rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
You can download the firmware directly from Oppo's website and update it via a USB thumbdrive. I believe instructions are in the FAQ.
Thanks for the help. I hope it will fix it. Watching a movie is supposed to help me de stress . When a brand new player doesn't work it's super frustrating. Especially when the wife says,
" this thing cost how much?"
TomcatTLC likes this.
post #8591 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What makes you think it is failing? What are you seeing that suggests the OPPO is sending /60 and the AVR is receiving /50?
--Bob
Well, this theory of mine is just a shot in the dark while (impatiently) waiting for Oppo Support to come up with some remedial action.
Based on the static message 'No Signal' on my AP display whatever I try, this could be anything (i.e. all options open).
..... and then I connect another source and voila! - instant lock-on

Bryston SP4/ATI AT527/Panasonic DP-UB9000/LG OLED 65E6V

Last edited by Extreman; 01-21-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #8592 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Don't know where in the world you are, Aaron, but if you're in the US go here:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...e-33-1229.aspx

or EU go here:

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/firmware-UDP-203.html

and follow the instructions on how to upgrade using a USB stick.
Extreman likes this.
post #8593 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

- Rich
Its funny, or not. I notice that a lot more since getting an OLED. You immediately go "oh, its one of those". TV shows are the same way, right now Taboo is like that, yet the first episode if SIX was great.
TimWelborn likes this.
post #8594 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreman View Post
Well, this theory of mine is just a shot in the dark while (impatiently) waiting for Oppo Support to come up with some remedial action.
Based on the static message 'No Signal' on my AP display whatever I try, this could be anything (i.e. all options open).
..... and then I connect another source and voila! - instant lock-on
OK, let's go back to basics here: You are using dual HDMI Cabling? Main HDMI direct to the TV and Audio HDMI to your AVR?

If so, I presume you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from the AVR to the TV. Try this test: Physically disconnect that cable and see if the audio HDMI handshake to your AVR from the OPPO now works. If it does, there are things we can try to fix this problem.

If not, LEAVE that cable disconnected but now go into the OPPO and turn HDMI CEC OFF (Settings > Device Settings). Also go into your TV and turn off HDMI CEC in there. That could be named anything in the TV. If it has to do with one device controlling another over the HDMI cable between them (for example power on/off or changing inputs) then turn that OFF in the TV too. If there are HDMI CEC settings in your AVR, turn them off there as well. Now check again, do you have good audio from the OPPO to the AVR?

--------------------------------

I'm also assuming you are running either the Public Beta 1229B firmware or the Official 1229 firmware. If that's NOT the case then that's the FIRST thing we have to address before you spend any more time diagnosing this AVR issue.
--Bob
jude924 likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8595 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Download the firmware for install via a USB stick. If you have a North American version of the 203, get that (and the simple instructions) from the OPPO Digital site in the US, here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-u...e-33-1229.aspx

If you have a European version of the 203, get that from the OPPO UK site, here:

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/firmware-UDP-203.html

If you have an Australian version of the 203, set that from the OPPO Digital, Australia site, here:

http://support.interdyn.com.au/suppo...rrent-firmware

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8596 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
HDMI input: some people have reported more problems than others. I'd say its status is still in a state of flux, waiting for new firmware.

3D: the intermittent frame drop is all I can recall being reported. We expect this to be addressed soon.

-Bill
First of all tanks for your reply
Second – (probably out of topic)
Hdmi in is a very important and unique feature
(x box one doesn’t allow 1080 signals to be up scaled and further more has enormous audio limitations)
To be fair, I completely cannot understand why people are not much concerned about it being a top priority being completely out of those issues.
Don´t get me wrong I’m not saying that Hdr is not relevant. Just that there are important features aside strip meta data\ wcg etc to be considered as relevant.
I don’t think I’m speaking just for me but for all being able to stream thru it from a 103D\105D and\or 95\93 (witch must be iso still free !) or what ever all stuff as long as resolution entering that hdmi in is kept at 1080p and the 203 the last in the chain before tv makes the upscale to 4k (8\12/4.2.2\24/60 etc
That is why one (everyone !) having sill a 95 or 93 and\or a 103\105 should never but never sell them or put them aside (and why all those are legacy now and not manufactured any more and the brand just has uhd players
And that’s why hdmi in is relevant
And that’s why probably it has issues from the start and other subjects get more relevant among these almost 300 pages now and why the brand doesn’t produce 103 or 105 normal BR anymore but just UHD
You can read about it in the forum in other space
Or even why among all those so many are related with Aps the same Aps Oppo it self said would not be their first concern being the 203 a player rather than a streamer in the first place
from the start.
The simple truth is that if the hdmi in feature turns to be as accurate as it was with previous 105\103 that will in fact ruin cinevia for good … And that my friend Oppo won’t be allowed.
So it will stay as you said : in a ” state of flux”
post #8597 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I posted this question to the JVC thread, but maybe someone in here can help as well.

If using the HDR Strip Metadata function on the oppo, what black/white clipping values should I be aiming for when using the Masciola patterns?

Currently I can resolve bar 130 in black clipping (nothing below) and I have adjusted my display contrast to resolve 721 (1000nits) and nothing higher.

Is this where I want to be?

I had some issues with the Oppo last night before trying to play Mad Max. I wasn't able to lock in a signal Oppo -> X4200 -> JVC. At first, the UHD disc wouldnt come up as 4K-- and in an effort to try to get it to display 4K-- It just wouldn't complete the HDMI handshake.

I was able to update to the official FW via front display (was running the beta).

All the while, my HTPC boots right up and displays [email protected] 4:4:4 12-bit (eliminating, i believe, any cable issue)...

Once I switched BACK from the HTPC though-- then the Oppo synced with the screen and all is well again. Mad Max looked awesome, but some of the reds looked weird to me... like the powder flares of red and yellow kinda looked like a salmon color. I couldn't tell if that was George Miller's doing or maybe Strip Metadata needs more work?

It didn't detract too much from the viewing experience though. Here's a very non-scientific photo of a popular scene.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170120_213325.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1910193

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #8598 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspock View Post
You can change that on the 203 remote. Look in the manual
thanks - worked perfectly.

Vizio P75-C1
Anthem MRX 1120
OPPO 203
OPPO 103D
B&W CDM 7.1.4 with Yamaha speakers in ceiling
post #8599 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
It will be interesting to see when the 205 will be launched?

I assume OPPO will fix as many problems as they can before launching a Blu Ray player that is half baked

A first for OPPO! I know they will upgrade the software regularly and take care of their customers but they should have delayed the launch until it was more stable. It is the first time I hear so many people returning it!! Glad I am enjoying the Panasonic for now once the 205 comes out I mike take the plunge after afew months

Is Darbee working on a 4K version?
post #8600 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think the 203 scaling is good, but cant use it right now because of lip sync.
What lipsync?
post #8601 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
What lipsync?

The HDMI In has a lip sync issue, well documented in this thread. I think HDMI In is prob on the bottom of the barrel for fixes right now.
post #8602 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OK, let's go back to basics here: You are using dual HDMI Cabling? Main HDMI direct to the TV and Audio HDMI to your AVR?

If so, I presume you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from the AVR to the TV. Try this test: Physically disconnect that cable and see if the audio HDMI handshake to your AVR from the OPPO now works. If it does, there are things we can try to fix this problem.

If not, LEAVE that cable disconnected but now go into the OPPO and turn HDMI CEC OFF (Settings > Device Settings). Also go into your TV and turn off HDMI CEC in there. That could be named anything in the TV. If it has to do with one device controlling another over the HDMI cable between them (for example power on/off or changing inputs) then turn that OFF in the TV too. If there are HDMI CEC settings in your AVR, turn them off there as well. Now check again, do you have good audio from the OPPO to the AVR?

--------------------------------

I'm also assuming you are running either the Public Beta 1229B firmware or the Official 1229 firmware. If that's NOT the case then that's the FIRST thing we have to address before you spend any more time diagnosing this AVR issue.
--Bob
Ok, here is the status:
- Cary - No setting for HDMI CEC
- TV - CEC off by default
- Oppo - CEC off by default
- Oppo runs Official 1229 firmware via USB with a factory reset after install
- Cary HDMI in is set to bitstream
- Cary HDMI audio out is set to off
- There is no HDMI cable (has never been) running from Cary HDMI out to TV, because Cary do not support UHD pass-through
- TV is connected directly to Oppo HDMI mains and video works flawlessly
- If Cary is off or HDMI input is not selected, sound is coming from tv via HDMI Mains as it should and when Cary HDMI input is active, tv sound mutes, because sound now is routed to AP via Oppo HDMI audio only port - However Cary still says 'No Signal'.....

There has been reported problems and fixes for the HDMI CEC handling on the Cary AP.

post #8603 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5096 Post(s)
Liked: 3950
What is the trick to get audio from the 203 if I have the primary out go to the JVC and the 2nd to my SSP. I have tried turning each off and back on but the SSP indicates no audio. It eventually works but I'm not sure what I am doing to get it to do so!

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater Of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin ][Jeremiah 4:1-2
post #8604 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Does anyone know if there is a way to access and playback content also from external storage connected to a computer via the local network? I currently use the Media Control app for iOS to browse through and playback content from my PC on the 203 and it works really smooth but i can only access what is on the C: drive and not any of the external HDDs i have connected to the PC.

Is there a way to make these external drives also avaliable to playback on the 203, maybe a setting in windows i have to do?

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
post #8605 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
What is the trick to get audio from the 203 if I have the primary out go to the JVC and the 2nd to my SSP. I have tried turning each off and back on but the SSP indicates no audio. It eventually works but I'm not sure what I am doing to get it to do so!
Interesting observation that resembles my problem....

post #8606 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
First PQ issue last night (this is our 26th movie watched on the Oppo) while playing "The Shallows" on UHD. There was a slight video stutter around 6:20 into the movie. Lasted maybe a second and then played without another issue through the rest of the movie. This is another great movie in UHD. Blake Lively in a bikini in HDR/4K goodness? Yes please!
post #8607 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to access and playback content also from external storage connected to a computer via the local network? I currently use the Media Control app for iOS to browse through and playback content from my PC on the 203 and it works really smooth but i can only access what is on the C: drive and not any of the external HDDs i have connected to the PC.

Is there a way to make these external drives also avaliable to playback on the 203, maybe a setting in windows i have to do?
That must be a configuration on your PC. You need to know what DLNA server you are using and find help for that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8608 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyben View Post
thanks - worked perfectly.
When all else fails RTFM.
post #8609 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
I've notice that some Blu-ray discs play at BT2020 444 8 B, some at BT2020 422 12 B all set at Auto in the menu.
Then while playing a 4K disc, I can manually set the player at BT2020 444 12 B.
BT2020 444 12 B seems to have the better picture.
What is the difference in these settings?
I have the latest firmware 1229 and certified HDMI cables.
Update:
I've notice that some 4K Blu-ray discs play at BT2020 444 8 B, some at BT2020 422 12 B all set at Auto in the menu.
Then while playing a 4K disc, I can manually set the player at BT2020 444 12 B.
BT2020 444 12 B seems to have the better picture.

What is the difference in these settings?
I have the latest firmware 1229 and certified HDMI cables.

Forgot to put "4K Blu-Ray"
post #8610 of 37537 Old 01-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
anyone had success getting the 203 to output at any color space other than 4:2:0 on the hdmi 2.2 inputs with the Onkyo tx-Nr656?

I had to change the color space on the roku Ultra as well in order to get the 656 to pass 4k HDR to my lg oled65c6p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page