Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 301 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278840Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9001 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahduck View Post
To add on,
I also notice that when I'm on the old 1209, the black (no signal detected) screen may take up to 6-8 secs before video signal is established.

Current 1229 timeout feels shorter. Probably 3-4 secs before static/ snowy screen appears.

Not sure on hdmi handshake clock timeout thingy. But I'm sure I read something in this thread way back in the beginning when I was launched.





Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk

Feels shorter to me. Like it's not even trying
chrisdack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9002 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I don't know about your specific situation, but...

Any cable can fail for a certain application. It doesn't matter how long it is or how well it has worked otherwise.

In the early history of this thread people were reporting bad cables every day. It makes a difference. You can't discount the possibility without testing.

Blaming the cables is a good first diagnostic strategy. It's easy to check and if the cables are ok then we move on to other tests.

-Bill
I agree. But three cables all pushing 4k 4:4:4 12 bit fine.
But then press stop and the Oppo wigs out going back to the menu. Including when the shortest and least stressed cable is inbetween Oppo and amp.
Common denominator= Oppo in my book means it's an oppo bug.

Regards
chrisdack is offline  
post #9003 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmonte View Post
Straight from Oppo and what many of us have been experiencing:

"If you have paused the player for 3 minutes or longer, then the disc will spin down and be stopped. So the player will need to start the disc before it starts playback, and this can result in the player stuttering or having playback errors as the player does not have enough buffer to compensate for the player having to spin up the disc from a cold start."

Wouldn't hurt to try to keep pausing to less than 3 consecutive minutes then...
Makes sense then with Oppo knowing this, they could adjust the future firmware that after 3 minutes it reverts back to the main menu with the "option" to resume the prior playback timestamp from the persistent storage memory point. IMO
timc1475 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9004 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Can we do a little informal poll here and see if anyone definitively finds the Oppo's A/V Sync setting in the Audio menu actually works? If you dial it up to 200mS and play a disc with somebody talking to camera it should be obviously very different to how it looks if you dial it down to 0.

If anyone is able to do this and report if it works on BD or UHD, what audio connection you're using and if you're using EU or US firmware that might give us some answers...
I'd assumed it was for analogue out only. It changes nothing for me though I admit to leaving it on zero and no lipsync issues (TV sync already adjusted out by my amp )

P.s. EU firmware

Last edited by chrisdack; 01-25-2017 at 02:54 PM.
chrisdack is offline  
post #9005 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
After speaking with Ed Mullen at SVS and troubleshooting my system for about a half an hour we have determined that the most current mix of the Bluray U571 is missing the extreme LFE of the prior DTS mix. I tried it in another Bluray as well, this is not an Oppo problem and I am sorry I posted it here. Edge of tomorrow damn near killed me when I put that bluray in!!!!

Thanks for your help, you guys are truly the best!

Greg
Yup, I too have seen varied LFE from various discs dependant upon how they were initially encoded. Especially my 5.1 surround via Comcast cable is at times very compressed to the point I must up the LFE to "feel" it enough to taste.

I used to think all digital signals were equal but eventually learned the rabbit hole and tweaked accordingly.
timc1475 is offline  
post #9006 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ruislip, Greater London. UK.
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
I'd assumed it was for analogue out only. It changes nothing for me
The manual says it affects all audio outs - HDMI, spdif and analogue.
steverobertsbbc is online now  
post #9007 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
OPPO CUSTOMER SERVICE

After playing with my 203 the last few weeks, I put a disc in my OPPO 93 & had no sound. Picture but no sound. I changed out cables, did firmware update, Factory resets, swapped connections, prayed & cried "WHY LORD WHY".
It would play ok on my plasma TV in the bedroom, but no where else.
I emailed OPPO from their website about my troubles. I am thinking about send the 93 off & paying to get it repaired, or buying another one on eBay or just give up on it.
OPPO sent me firmware to install. I held my breath & did a modified rain & happy puppy dance as it did it's magic. IT WORKED! The GOD of SOUND have bestowed thier blessings upon my ears once again.

Thank you OPPO folks for getting back to me on the same day & fixing my problem.

Jack

I agree Jack, that Oppo customer service hold times have always been low when I called and they really appear to care about corrective actions pertaining to any issue.
PS: You signed "Jack" but your photo is a woman. I am confused?
timc1475 is offline  
post #9008 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Jer; I own the SonyX930D as well. After much experimentation over the past few weeks, I have found "source direct " to provide the very best PQ for my viewing pleasure, utilizing the TVs HDR adjustments to fine tune the picture. Personally, I find 4:2:[email protected] bits the most accurate. Finally, Deadpool has played just on my 203.
Good Luck-Jerry
I own the Sony 55X930D and I also noticed putting the Oppo in source direct provided the best pq in 4k movies and also in bluray movies.
Kage is offline  
post #9009 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
timc1475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois USA
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyd5 View Post
Hello all,

Just received my Oppo 203 and have a couple UHD playback questions I'm hoping someone can answer. Firmware on the 203 is up to date and I'm running a certified HDMI cable directly to my Sony 930D. Enhanced HDMI is enabled on the 930D.

1. When looking at the Oppo's info screen during UHD playback, it says that it's outputing 4.2.2 at 12 bit to the 930D. Is this the optimal setting to use? Would 4.4.4 (which the 930D can handle) improve the PQ or does it not really matter?

2. On my new UHD copy of Deadpool, when I put the disc into the player it recognizes that a BDMV has been inserted and begins loading. I then see a black screen for about a second like the player is trying to start the movie, but then player immediately stops playback (stop actually appears on the front panel) and I'm sent back to the home screen. This is the only UHD movie that's had any playback problems, so I'm assuming this is just a defective disc? Has anyone else run into this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes there have been issues with 4k Deadpool arriving D.O.A. myself included. When I had an issue with DP I took the disc to another 4k player to test. It did not play on it either which prompted me to purchase another which worked fine.
timc1475 is offline  
post #9010 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Yes another one!
Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review - AVforums - 1/25/17

budeone and marcuslaw like this.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #9011 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,580
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
I agree. But three cables all pushing 4k 4:4:4 12 bit fine.
But then press stop and the Oppo wigs out going back to the menu. Including when the shortest and least stressed cable is inbetween Oppo and amp.
Common denominator= Oppo in my book means it's an oppo bug.

Regards
HDMI is frustrating, but its never straightforward. If the Oppo is set to "UHD-auto" then it always putting out 4K. So a resolution handshake failure actually happens in the display, resulting in the snowy screen. (the Oppo is not sending a snowy image) Handshakes are an end-to-end event. When you hit stop on a UHD or BD disc you are changing frame rates, color space, audio, etc. so a handshake is mandatory.

Anyway, its VERY possible to have a cable that can deliver the required bandwidth but still interferes with handshakes. I've seen it happen more than once. Swapping in a certified premium cable is a quick and cheap troubleshooting step. Of course that refers to both the player cable and display cable.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #9012 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
andlopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barcelona - Spain ( Europe)
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
new update (Firmware UDP20XEU-33-1229

Oppo has just released an official update of its Ultra HD Blu-ray player that remarkably noticeable

This new update (Firmware UDP20XEU-33-1229) replaces the beta that Oppo took out a few weeks ago and can only be downloaded and inserted into the player using a USB stick.

This new update UDP20XEU-33-1229 is official and can be done directly from the player.

Compared with the previous version UDP20XEU-29-1209, the main changes included in this version are:

1. Fixed an issue where the Start menu was set to 60 Hz.

2. An HDCP 2.2 fault has been resolved when an HDCP 2.2 receiver is connected and an older one, that there is no HDCP 2.2.

3. Replace a black screen problem with some UHD titles after resuming playback.

4. Improved micro-cut problem when playing UHD, BD and DVD titles at 24 Hz.

5. A SACD playback problem has been resolved where the player immediately returns to the Main Menu.

6. Optimizing disk loader performance for better disk compatibility and read speed control.

7. Fixed a problem whereby the player does not recognize music files when using the Serviio server.

8. Fixed an issue where RS-232 #SRC was not working.

9. Holding down the Resolution button on the remote control for three seconds will reset the player's output Resolution, HDR, color space, and color depth settings to the factory default settings.

10. Improved uninterrupted playback function for audio files.

11. The Start Menu now supports a wraparound function.

12. Improved over-saturation of colors when using the experimental Metadata function of the strip. Note that the black level is temporarily set to a very low level when the Band Metadata feature is enabled.

All the features of the previous firmware are also found in this version.

The update can be done through the Internet connection and using a USB stick.
timc1475 likes this.
andlopper is offline  
post #9013 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Maybe you should plan on making regular use of Oppo's IP MediaControl app when it comes out? I just hope that too doesn't turn something else on or off in your household also!
If the app is sexy enough, it just might turn ME on.

As I said, I will continue to use my universal remote since it handily controls my entire A/V setup without my having to resort to any additional hardware. But I will definitely look forward to downloading and exploring the app and will plan to use it at least occasionally if the features prove useful.

N.B.: I do not typically have a cell phone or tablet at hand when watching TV/movies, but I can imagine that those of you who do might well find the IP MediaControl app indispensable.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #9014 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
jb442386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Doylestown PA
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I own the Sony 55X930D and I also noticed putting the Oppo in source direct provided the best pq in 4k movies and also in bluray movies.
Yes Kage, both 4K & Blu-ray Discs. Contacted Oppo, & they addressed the scaling issue, because quite frankly I would prefer either custom or UHD auto settings. Part of their response as follows," but most likely the picture quality of the player will increase over the next several firmware releases ". So very encouraged at this point, & that in the end, all will be well. BTW, Love the 930D, & Wish you Well!
jb442386 is online now  
post #9015 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:36 PM
 
Holiday121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Thank you.

Could you try running the PS4 to the hdmi in on the 203 and dual hdmi out one to tv or projector and one to avr to see if that still gives 4K and full audio.
Confirmed.Ps4 HDMI into Oppo in and then HDMI out to TV +HDMI 2 to AVR is 4k good through to TV. Audio goes to AVR.
BUT like my AVR if used as a splitter it destroys bthe HDR handshake. The ps4 reports that the Oppo In is not HDR capable
Thank you so much!!
Holiday121 is offline  
post #9016 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
chrisdack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
HDMI is frustrating, but its never straightforward. If the Oppo is set to "UHD-auto" then it always putting out 4K. So a resolution handshake failure actually happens in the display, resulting in the snowy screen. (the Oppo is not sending a snowy image) Handshakes are an end-to-end event. When you hit stop on a UHD or BD disc you are changing frame rates, color space, audio, etc. so a handshake is mandatory.

Anyway, its VERY possible to have a cable that can deliver the required bandwidth but still interferes with handshakes. I've seen it happen more than once. Swapping in a certified premium cable is a quick and cheap troubleshooting step. Of course that refers to both the player cable and display cable.
It is not amp to TV link because if I click on menu on the amp I get a menu over the top of the snow.

The TV has HDMI 4k reported but with snow baked into it.

The snow actually looks similar to the snow visible on the Hbo logo on the game of thrones blu ray, but without the logo.

Last edited by chrisdack; 01-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.
chrisdack is offline  
post #9017 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Confirmed.Ps4 HDMI into Oppo in and then HDMI out to TV +HDMI 2 to AVR is 4k good through to TV. Audio goes to AVR.
BUT like my AVR if used as a splitter it destroys bthe HDR handshake. The ps4 reports that the Oppo In is not HDR capable
Thanks for doing this! I offered to do it for Holiday121 as well but hadn't had a chance to yet.

Did you notice any increased input lag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
If you do see any issue jot down the timestamps for others to replicate it on their discs / equipment.
Will do!
mutelight is online now  
post #9018 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Question Redundant FW update posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlopper View Post
Oppo has just released an official update of its Ultra HD Blu-ray player that remarkably noticeable

This new update (Firmware UDP20XEU-33-1229) replaces the beta that Oppo took out a few weeks ago and can only be downloaded and inserted into the player using a USB stick.

This new update UDP20XEU-33-1229 is official and can be done directly from the player.

Compared with the previous version UDP20XEU-29-1209, the main changes included in this version are:

1. Fixed an issue where the Start menu was set to 60 Hz.

2. An HDCP 2.2 fault has been resolved when an HDCP 2.2 receiver is connected and an older one, that there is no HDCP 2.2.

3. Replace a black screen problem with some UHD titles after resuming playback.

4. Improved micro-cut problem when playing UHD, BD and DVD titles at 24 Hz.

5. A SACD playback problem has been resolved where the player immediately returns to the Main Menu.

6. Optimizing disk loader performance for better disk compatibility and read speed control.

7. Fixed a problem whereby the player does not recognize music files when using the Serviio server.

8. Fixed an issue where RS-232 #SRC was not working.

9. Holding down the Resolution button on the remote control for three seconds will reset the player's output Resolution, HDR, color space, and color depth settings to the factory default settings.

10. Improved uninterrupted playback function for audio files.

11. The Start Menu now supports a wraparound function.

12. Improved over-saturation of colors when using the experimental Metadata function of the strip. Note that the black level is temporarily set to a very low level when the Band Metadata feature is enabled.

All the features of the previous firmware are also found in this version.

The update can be done through the Internet connection and using a USB stick.
Why are you posting a Release date: January 19, 2017 FW on a thread that is updated about every 30 seconds?

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #9019 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
dcbii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 122
203 HDMI issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
I'm on uhd auto. I do not accept it's a marginal cable as it only happen when pressing stop, never from a cold boot. I also do not accept it's a marginal cable as
A) it's only30 cm long
B) I have a 5 m version of the same cable going from amp to TV fine
C) have never had this issue switching inputs or resolutions on the amp or ps4.
D)I've tried another 40cm cable that I use from ps4 in 4k HDR and rgb modes with no issues. And the 30 cm cable between ps4 and amp components is also fine.
E)Don't say ps4 is only 8 bit bandwidth. The Oppo fails when set to 8 bit too.
I've had some odd HDMI issues that seem similar to this. When the 203 comes up from a clean boot, I don't have any picture issues. However, when pausing, and letting the screen saver come up, when I un-pause to restart the movie, I will sometimes get these odd white flashes that occur on the bottom 1/3 of my screen, and sometimes a whole screen blackout every so often. Sound seems unaffected. This seems worse on DVDs than on any other type of discs. However, to fix the issue, I just turn off the player, turn it back on and start from fresh. This also would seem to indicate to me that my issue is the not the HDMI cables (which are Monoprice certified 18G), but who knows.

Interestingly, I don't remember this problem with the earlier firmware, though it could have happened. I definitely see it with the 1229 firmware.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
dcbii is offline  
post #9020 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Neuromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Navigating the Black IC
Posts: 11,085
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
Is the 203 capable of converting a 60hz 4k signal to a 24hz 4k signal? I want to purchase a Roku 4k but it only outputs 4k at 60hz. Although my projector (jvc rs400) will accept 60hz, my Monoprice Luxe cables don't seem capable of passing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
It will not.

I suggest you try setting Resolution to Custom > UHD Auto, Color Space 4:2:0, Color Depth 8 bit, as that's lower bandwidth and your cable may be able to carry it. If so you can then also try Color Depth 10 bit or 12 bit to see the limits of what your cable can carry.

For /60 input that will get you 4K/60 4:2:0 output. For /24 input, that will get you 4K/24 4:2:2 output.
--Bob
It won't do 60 to 24Hz, but it will do 60 to 30Hz if the projector supports it.
Neuromancer is offline  
post #9021 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sittler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Did some testing tonight with two HDMI 35' cables directly from the Oppo 203 to my JVC X750R.

Both results are with Output Resolution = Auto (whereas previously, I could only get a sync when this was on Source Direct, preventing me from having the Oppo upscale 1080p to 4K/24 automatically).
AND
Custom Resolution = UHD Auto

35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI limit:
Note: this cable does not have hdmi.org's "Premium HDMI" certification
Color Space Max setting cable allows = YCbCr 4:2:0 (any higher and no HDMI sync)
Color Depth = Auto
Confirmed in JVC info screen receiving 4K(3840)/60, 12bit, YUV

35' Monster Platinum Black Ultra Premium HDMI limit:
Note: this cable has hdmi.org's "Premium HDMI" certification
Guess what....it had the same limit! 4:2:0 and 12 bit

Now besides the point that the monster cable cost me $300 Cdn and the Monoprice $70 Cdn, what I'd like to understand is the following:

1. What am I missing with not using 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 in regards to picture quality?
2. Assuming answer to #1 is, "your'e missing something", is there another cable that would allow me to get 4:4:4 12 bit?

If the answer to #1 is nothing, then I'm done
Sittler27 is online now  
post #9022 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Had my first and only malfunction/Bug pop up last night. While watching a brand new and cleaned UHD Deepwater Horizon we experienced about 7 separate episodes of Audio stutter and drop outs. The Denon Amp active Speaker icons all began flashing and flickering as the Audio Track dropped out and in, in a stuttering manner. Each event lasted about 3-10 seconds.

Everything is latest firmware. All HDMI cables are new (Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 6ft). Could it be Cable related? Perhaps. Oppo -> Denon 7200wa ->Sony XBR75x940d

It was not a pleasant sound as I had the Audio System running at pretty high levels (-19) Startling to say the least. Probably not good on the Speakers and Subs either.

Is this something to report to Oppo or is this possibly something unrelated to the 203?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OPPO is aware of the problems with that disc. If you use the Analog outs, you'll hear only a brief glitch in the audio at those points -- you might even miss it altogether. But with HDMI Audio the glitch triggers a re-handshake for the HDMI Audio path. As with all HDMI handshakes, the minimum time for that is about 2 seconds, increasing in multiples of 2 seconds if retries are needed.

During an HDMI handshake your Denon should be muting its audio output.

As for the glitch itself, OPPO engineering is On The Case.
--Bob
Looking at all of the posts regarding Deepwater Horizon it appears that the audio drops are mostly in the same spots: at the beginning and toward the end (approx 15 min before the end as someone mentioned). I watched it Saturday night and it happened twice. I don't recall if I ever paused the movie.

I cleaned the disc and watched it again on Tuesday night without pausing, but this time making note of where they happened. I had three this time: 2 min 21 sec, 1 hour 30 min 28 sec and 1 hour 31 min 35 sec give or take a few seconds. The first one I was able to get to repeat at will. The other two I couldn't. The last two are approx 15 min before the end of the movie.

I can't help but think that maybe this is a defect in the disc as opposed to a difficulty in reading this particular disc (I remember someone saying that it's a triple layer or something).

Any thoughts? I just got it last week so I could exchange it, but I don't want to bother if the new one would be the same.
stevenjw likes this.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
Tom C is offline  
post #9023 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI limit:
Note: this cable does not have hdmi.org's "Premium HDMI" certification
Color Space Max setting cable allows = YCbCr 4:2:0 (any higher and no HDMI sync)
Color Depth = Auto
Confirmed in JVC info screen receiving 4K(3840)/60, 12bit, YUV
I think you either have a bad cable or something setup incorrectly.

I have the 45' version of the Monoprice Cabernet cable and it passes 4k(2160p)@24hz 4:4:4 12-bit for me without an issue.

I've also tested it up to 60hz, but not for any extended amounts of time-- really just to test if it would work. It did.

At one point I was having an HDMI handshake issue (i believe) with the Oppo and began to suspect the cable. However, I switched inputs on my AVR to my HTPC-- and it fired up right away [email protected] 444 12-bit.

I only use my theater room for movies (htpc for blu-ray / oppo for uhd) so I don't have much of a need for 60hz at the moment.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #9024 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,187
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Watched the deep water horizon on the Oppo - audio dropouts. Stopped it. Put it in my Samsung UHD none whatsoever, played perfectly.
Played Inferno on the Oppo had a white line on the right handside ( thought it was the projector ) stopped it played it on the Samsung no issues at all.
It's amazing how the Samsung which looks cheap and nasty can get it right but the Oppo which looks awesome has issues.
stevenjw likes this.

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #9025 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post


Soon. The Oracle will only say "Soon".

You can't see 3D at all? It's dropping multiple frames per second? I don't think that's what others have reported.

-Bill
I can't see because i don't wanna see a movie that stutter every 2 minutes
BlueSkyDiver is offline  
post #9026 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,970
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I don't know about your specific situation, but...

Any cable can fail for a certain application. It doesn't matter how long it is or how well it has worked otherwise.

In the early history of this thread people were reporting bad cables every day. It makes a difference. You can't discount the possibility without testing.

Blaming the cables is a good first diagnostic strategy. It's easy to check and if the cables are ok then we move on to other tests.
My own experience with my 203 proves the aptness of Bill's warning to first check your HDMI cables, no matter how counterintuitive doing so may seem. When I first got my 203, I decided to connect the 203 to my receiver with the same HDMI cable that I had been using to connect my old 103 to the receiver. At first, and for a couple of days thereafter, the old HDMI cable performed flawlessly. Suddenly, though, I stopped getting either video or audio from the 203. After about an hour on the phone with Oppo customer support, I replaced the old HDMI cable with the new one that had come with the 203. It has worked perfectly ever since.
MegaMember likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is online now  
post #9027 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,499
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11039 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Can we do a little informal poll here and see if anyone definitively finds the Oppo's A/V Sync setting in the Audio menu actually works? If you dial it up to 200mS and play a disc with somebody talking to camera it should be obviously very different to how it looks if you dial it down to 0.

If anyone is able to do this and report if it works on BD or UHD, what audio connection you're using and if you're using EU or US firmware that might give us some answers...
I used the Spears&Munsil audio sync test pattern, and I don't see any difference when I turn the 203's sync adjustment to its max or min values. So, from my perspective, the adjustment does not seem to be working.

If others are having a different experience, I am wondering how.
stevenjw likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #9028 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Watched the deep water horizon on the Oppo - audio dropouts. Stopped it. Put it in my Samsung UHD none whatsoever, played perfectly.
Played Inferno on the Oppo had a white line on the right handside ( thought it was the projector ) stopped it played it on the Samsung no issues at all.
It's amazing how the Samsung which looks cheap and nasty can get it right but the Oppo which looks awesome has issues.
It's almost as if one of the players has been out longer and is therefore using more mature firmware.
RickD_99, rboster, gsr and 6 others like this.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #9029 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Member
 
OfficialPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Watched the deep water horizon on the Oppo - audio dropouts. Stopped it. Put it in my Samsung UHD none whatsoever, played perfectly.
Played Inferno on the Oppo had a white line on the right handside ( thought it was the projector ) stopped it played it on the Samsung no issues at all.
It's amazing how the Samsung which looks cheap and nasty can get it right but the Oppo which looks awesome has issues.

Strange, I just finished watching Inferno right now and had no a/v issues at all. Smooth sailing.
OfficialPG is offline  
post #9030 of 36773 Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,126
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Did some testing tonight with two HDMI 35' cables directly from the Oppo 203 to my JVC X750R.

Both results are with Output Resolution = Auto (whereas previously, I could only get a sync when this was on Source Direct, preventing me from having the Oppo upscale 1080p to 4K/24 automatically).
AND
Custom Resolution = UHD Auto

35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI limit:
Note: this cable does not have hdmi.org's "Premium HDMI" certification
Color Space Max setting cable allows = YCbCr 4:2:0 (any higher and no HDMI sync)
Color Depth = Auto
Confirmed in JVC info screen receiving 4K(3840)/60, 12bit, YUV

35' Monster Platinum Black Ultra Premium HDMI limit:
Note: this cable has hdmi.org's "Premium HDMI" certification
Guess what....it had the same limit! 4:2:0 and 12 bit

Now besides the point that the monster cable cost me $300 Cdn and the Monoprice $70 Cdn, what I'd like to understand is the following:

1. What am I missing with not using 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 in regards to picture quality?
2. Assuming answer to #1 is, "your'e missing something", is there another cable that would allow me to get 4:4:4 12 bit?

If the answer to #1 is nothing, then I'm done
I have the Monoprice Cabernet 35' cable, and I don't have any issues sending 4:2:2 / 12 bit to my projector, but that is 24Hz and not 60Hz.
My projector is limited on it's input and can't do the higher bandwidth combinations, but it's really not necessary to for me.

As for any cable that will allow 4k / 60Hz / 4:4:4 / 12 bit, you really only have one option that I know of,
and that is the HDMI optical cables, with the most popular brand being Celerity I think.

They are not cheap though, but probably around the same price you paid for the Monster cable.
I've always thought of Monster brand cables and accessories to be high quality, but also very overpriced.
If their cable is supposed to be Certified for UHD and it still doesn't work, that's kinda pathetic.
I would definitely recommend trying to get your money back fro both of those cables, since Monoprice is kind of
false advertising too since the cable doesn't do 4K/60/4:4:4/12b.
I literally purchased mine a couple of years ago and it happened to work out that it works with my Epson 5040.
rboster likes this.
Smarty-pants is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off