Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278838Likes

post #9061 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight1 View Post
Audio dropout / lip-sync issue - is this a confirmed Oppo firmware issue or a HDMI cable issue? Currently have HDMI audio-only cable going to receiver and the second HDMI video cable going to the TV. All cables are 6' Monoprice certified cables. If cable, would it be the one to the receiver? Picture quality is fine -- no issue there. Thanks!
I've only watched a couple movies on my Oppo, but no lip-sync issues whatsoever here.

Some minor audio droupouts (almost sound like subtle pops) when Video conversion on my Denon X4200 is turned to "ON" (scaling is off)...

Otherwise no issues with lip sync in HDR or Strip Metadata from my small sample of viewing.

I guess I'm just waiting for Oppo to fix the black clipping that is occurring with the HDR strip Metadata function.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I've only watched a couple movies on my Oppo, but no lip-sync issues whatsoever here.

Some minor audio droupouts (almost sound like subtle pops) when Video conversion on my Denon X4200 is turned to "ON" (scaling is off)...

Otherwise no issues with lip sync in HDR or Strip Metadata from my small sample of viewing.

I guess I'm just waiting for Oppo to fix the black clipping that is occurring with the HDR strip Metadata function.
I've noticed lip sync issues and I think it comes from pausing the movie. If I completely stop the movie and restart it; this seems to fix the issue.
post #9063 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
I've noticed lip sync issues and I think it comes from pausing the movie. If I completely stop the movie and restart it; this seems to fix the issue.
I will check again, but we definitely paused about halfway through the Martian Extended Edition to refill our drinks. Unpaused it and didn't notice lip-sync issues. I wonder if it is specific to the media or # of layers, etc.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9064 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Some people have fixed SOME things with the cables. Some issues might be related to the interaction between the Oppo and certain preamps (that doesn't mean it isn't an oppo issue just that since the unit is new everyone seems to be making discoveries). Some people are discovering their expensive cables seem to be the problem and some are discovering their cheap cables are the problem. But seems like Oppo is working on their issues still as well. I figure it will be another month until the next major firmware update before you'll know for sure.
Thank you! Maybe I will wait for the next firmware release before hunting down a replacement set of cables.
post #9065 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I will check again, but we definitely paused about halfway through the Martian Extended Edition to refill our drinks. Unpaused it and didn't notice lip-sync issues. I wonder if it is specific to the media or # of layers, etc.
I definitely need to watch more movies to be sure. Just wasn't sure if this is a known firmware issue or a cabling issue on my end.
post #9066 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 08:55 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Thank you! Maybe I will wait for the next firmware release before hunting down a replacement set of cables.
If your cables are premium certified, then it's reasonably unlikely to be a cable issue. I believe you said that you haven't noticed any video glitches and that both HDMI cables are the same length (and both premium certified); if so, try swapping the 2 cables. If you start having video issues after swapping the cables, then you probably have a bad cable.
post #9067 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
the cables are important because frankly the HDMI technology is substandard if you ask me it has a history of unreliablity. Display has been able to handle 8k streams for sometime now.. The only down size is you do not get ARC with displayport but most of us have universal remotes anyway so that to me is moot. I rather have a technology that is stable.
DisplayPort cabling has similar issues to HDMI cabling when it is used with 4K computer monitor displays such as an LG 31MU97. I wound up testing and labeling the DisplayPort cables I had that would work reliably at 4K. I also have started labeling my new Certified HDMI cables to prevent confusion in the future.
richlife likes this.

Bob
post #9068 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post
DisplayPort cabling has similar issues to HDMI cabling when it is used with 4K computer monitor displays such as an LG 31MU97. I wound up testing and labeling the DisplayPort cables I had that would work reliably at 4K. I also have started labeling my new Certified HDMI cables to prevent confusion in the future.
That's a good suggestion -- thanks. Fairly obvious, but I bet many of us have missed it.
Operon and SamuraiXSendai like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9069 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have UDP20XEU-33-1229B installed.

I haven't seen much discussion, but the subtitle-support seem to have been bricked with the update.
My Oppo203 displays only partial subtitles, leaves them on top of each other resulting in quite
garbled end-result.

Anyone else with the subtitle-problems and is there a way to fix it, or should one revert to older firmware?
post #9070 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd View Post

I haven't seen much discussion, but the subtitle-support seem to have been bricked with the update.
My Oppo203 displays only partial subtitles, leaves them on top of each other resulting in quite
garbled end-result.

Anyone else with the subtitle-problems and is there a way to fix it, or should one revert to older firmware?
We always used subtitles (age has an odd way with hearing) and I've never seen ANY issues. Don't recall seeing much, if anything, about subtitle problems here.

I would suggest you NOT revert. It WAS BROKE -- this fw MOSTLY fixed it.

Have you tried playing any with the subtitle placement options?
stevenjw and gwsat like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9071 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If your cables are premium certified, then it's reasonably unlikely to be a cable issue. I believe you said that you haven't noticed any video glitches and that both HDMI cables are the same length (and both premium certified); if so, try swapping the 2 cables. If you start having video issues after swapping the cables, then you probably have a bad cable.
Good point. I actually purchased several cables, so I might just swap it for the sake of swapping.
post #9072 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Interesting. I actually have two Cabernet of the same length and neither pass anything higher than 4:2:0....

But my question persists: does it matter? will my eyes be able to tell the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 if I can output 12 bit on both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Audioquest had those but I couldn't afford them when I was younger and dumber.

The Oppo cable issue is fascinating to me. I admit my reasonably cheap cables have worked fine but I'm guessing I may need to replace them when I actually get something needing to meet the new 2.1 specs. I can live with that - replacing my cable every 6 years - all 4 of them The nice thing is I can just put strings on my old ones and use them to snake the replacement ones through the wall. Some people act as if replacing their cables is going to be some horrible expense. I paid $500 for my BD player - $45 on a new cable for it isn't going to break my bank. I'm not about to say yeah, I really want the 203 but I can't justify a mortgage on the cable that costs 1/10th the price of the player.

If Oppo made or even endorsed some hdmi 2.1 cables when the time came - I have no doubt I'd buy them. Likewise if Marantz did I would probably do the same although I think Marantz cables would be 3 times the price of an Oppo cable of similar quality. I'll probably trust the BJ or Have cables to make good cables again as I've had zero issues with them so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
the cables are important because frankly the HDMI technology is substandard if you ask me it has a history of unreliablity. Display has been able to handle 8k streams for sometime now.. The only down size is you do not get ARC with displayport but most of us have universal remotes anyway so that to me is moot. I rather have a technology that is stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post
Quote:
Good point. I actually purchased several cables, so I might just swap it for the sake of swapping.

Per the moderator's request, please take the cabling discussion to the appropriate forum. As another member pointed out, this ISN'T AN OPPO issue...it's an HDMI issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
We are beginning to get several complaints, please continue general HDMI discussion in the appropriate forum area. There are may threads for long cable runs, UHD 4:4:4 support, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hd...nnector-world/

Thank you.
stevenjw and brentsg like this.
post #9073 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
SuperDisk Help

Sorry for the Noob question, but I am trying to get the SuperDisk to work on my new UDP-203. I've seen that others have gotten it to work by burning using their Mac. I have only a PC Windows 10 computer. I have the file. I've burned it using Cyberlink Power2Go app that is preinstalled on my Dell XPS to a CD-R. When I put it in the Oppo it shows "Data Disc" on the drive and if I try to start it, it just tells me to use the music or movies or photo selection to access my data. It never ejects the disc like has previously been reported is still region locked for my PAL DVD I try to play. Obviously, I am doing something stupidly wrong. Any hand holding through this process would be appreciated.
post #9074 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpie View Post
Sorry for the Noob question, but I am trying to get the SuperDisk to work on my new UDP-203. I've seen that others have gotten it to work by burning using their Mac. I have only a PC Windows 10 computer. I have the file. I've burned it using Cyberlink Power2Go app that is preinstalled on my Dell XPS to a CD-R. When I put it in the Oppo it shows "Data Disc" on the drive and if I try to start it, it just tells me to use the music or movies or photo selection to access my data. It never ejects the disc like has previously been reported is still region locked for my PAL DVD I try to play. Obviously, I am doing something stupidly wrong. Any hand holding through this process would be appreciated.
What do you see on the disc if you mount it on a computer?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9075 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Per the moderator's request, please take the cabling discussion to the appropriate forum. As another member pointed out, this ISN'T AN OPPO issue...it's an HDMI issue
So it *IS* confirmed that audio dropout / lip sync issues are a cable problem and NOT a firmware issue???
post #9076 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_dvd View Post

garbled end-result.

DVDs, Blu-rays, UHD, or some sort of media file? If media, what type, and local storage or SMB or DLNA?

Try Reset Factory Defaults. Any change?

You are running a public beta; you can install a previous firmware if you want. You'd have to find it on the download site for the EU region.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #9077 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
What do you see on the disc if you mount it on a computer?

-Bill
When I use Windows file to open it I get this below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SuperDisk screenshot1.PNG
Views:	222
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1921049  
post #9078 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Looks like you just copied the ISO file onto the disc. You need to use the ISO file to burn a disc image, which is different from just copying a file over. Oppo's Australian site has pretty good instructions here.
post #9079 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Ok, you need to burn it differently. The ISO file is an image of the disk. That requires a special writing mode.

This is what OPPO lists as suggested utilities when writing their own firmware upgrade CDs. They should work for Superdisk the same way:

Quote:
General Instructions on Working With ISO Image Files

Note: These are general instructions on how to burn the firmware disc with common disc burning software. Please consult your disc burning software's help/instruction manual for more detail.

In Nero Burning Rom version 6 or above , go to the 'Recorder > Burn Image' menu and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Nero Burning ROM version 5 or earlier, just go to Nero Burning ROMs 'File > Burn Image' option and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Nero Express select the option for 'Disc Image or Saved Project' to select the ISO image file you downloaded and burn to the disc.
In Easy CD Creator , go to 'File > Record CD from CD Image' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In Power2Go , go to 'Burning > Burn Disc Image' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In ImgBurn, go to 'Write image file to disc' and select the ISO image you downloaded.
In burnatonce, go to 'File > Load New Image...' and select the ISO image you downloaded. Click the "Write" button to burn the disc.
Make sure you are using a CD-R, not a DVD.

-Bill
stikle likes this.

post #9080 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
That screen shot indicates that "super_disk" hasn't been written to the media yet. It's also only 62K, which in terms of media is almost nothing.

I don't think you successfully burned the correct content to the media, which is why it isn't working in your 203.

If it's a series of static images, then that file size might be fine - I don't know what Superdisc actually is.

The other thing is, an ISO file is a disc image. You don't burn the file TO a disc - you use software such as UltraISO or ImgBurn (free) to read the contents of the ISO and then burn THAT to media.
post #9081 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
So it *IS* confirmed that audio dropout / lip sync issues are a cable problem and NOT a firmware issue???
If your cables are certified, you've made sure the audio cable you are using is working (swap suggestion earlier), then report your issues to Oppo support and wait for their suggestions and/or a new beta. Otherwise like some other owners the cable issue has been beaten to death, and belongs in the appropriate thread, not here.

Ex Underworld 4k (which now plays correctly with the beta turned official release) I have not had any drop outs and zero synch issues even when pausing for bathroom breaks, beer run, etc. Full disclosure I have not yet played my 4k version of Deep Horizon, I wimped out and went with the Blu-ray since both have Atmos on it. As for others, there can be a number of reasons for experiencing them, type of equipment in the chain and settings being a few big ones.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #9082 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
That screen shot indicates that "super_disk" hasn't been written to the media yet. It's also only 62K, which in terms of media is almost nothing.
Superdisk is an astonishing 62 bytes in size!

When properly created the the CD will have a top-level folder called SUPER, and inside that:

Quote:
FUNCTION_0.cfg
OS.sys
README.txt
SPECIAL_CONFIG.spe
I have never heard the origin of this magic. My guess it is a region-setting procedure that escaped from a Chinese factory years ago.

It will be a sad day if it ever stops working.

-Bill

post #9083 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
The problem with Superdisk is that it only works for DVD. If you want Blu-ray region-free playback as well (and who wouldn't on the UDP-203?) you have to buy a kit, which also includes region-free DVD support. I agree it'll be a sad day if it ever stops working, but's it's a dinosaur with limited utility in this day and age.

post #9084 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Superdisk is an astonishing 62 bytes in size!

Ah...THAT's what it is. Gotcha.

But if you look at the screenshot again, it's clearly 62 kb. 62 bytes would be listed as 1 kb.

Now back to your regularly scheduled on-topic...uh...stuff.
dpippel likes this.
post #9085 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
Ah...THAT's what it is. Gotcha.

But if you look at the screenshot again, it's clearly 62 kb. 62 bytes would be listed as 1 kb.

Now back to your regularly scheduled on-topic...uh...stuff.
The file is an ISO file system which must have rounding or minimal allocation. So much waste. What a dinosaur. DVDs, dude.

-Bill

post #9086 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
If you do not see or hear a problem then your system does not have a problem.
If you hear a dropout / lip sync using oppo analog out then it is a oppo problem and should be reported to them.

If you are bitstreaming to your avr and you have a lip sync problem for all the disks then it should be adjusted on the avr, because I think that the delay between audio and picture should be done when decode the audio.

If the problem only happen on some of the disks then ask here to see if some people has gotten problem with that particular disk.
post #9087 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Personally I do not like the Spears and Munsil A/V sync pattern. The Disney World of Wonder (WoW) pattern is much easier to use as you can physically block out parts of the image to allow you to more easily concentrate on the sound blip. Makes pinpointing the exact frame much much easier than a rotating bar.
The Oppo AV Sync test has changed (attachment 1 below). Perhaps you are not using S&M ver 2? The Disney WOW AV Sync test (attachment 2) yields the same results, i.e. the Oppo adjustment seems to have no effect on AV sync.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo Sync.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1921353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney WOW Sync.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1921361  
post #9088 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ok, you need to burn it differently. The ISO file is an image of the disk. That requires a special writing mode.

This is what OPPO lists as suggested utilities when writing their own firmware upgrade CDs. They should work for Superdisk the same way:

Make sure you are using a CD-R, not a DVD.

-Bill
Thank you SO MUCH! I knew I was doing something stupid. The instructions you linked worked perfectly. I know DVD's are dinosaurs, but I have some UK old Doctor Who DVD's that I can get that are out of print in the US, so I really just need the DVDs, not Blu-Rays to be region free.
wmcclain and steverobertsbbc like this.
post #9089 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You probably didn't see a report I posted several weeks ago--the Return key on my Oppo remote turns on the LED lighting on my Haiku ceiling fan.

I never found a way to fix/avoid the issue.
For the record, here's what Oppo CS had to say regarding possible actions to rectify the remote code interference:

The problem is we designed our IR codes around the same codes we have been using since the OPDV971H, our first DVD player. We have added buttons to the remote, but have not changed the IR carrier signal for the buttons which are shared. So if we changed the IR codes for the UDP-203, we would be breaking the IR compatibility for all customers who are already using IR codes from previous players for their home theater systems.
But we will look into this issue and see if there is anything that we will be able to resolve through future hardware changes to the remote.

Give the above, I think it unlikely that we will have a systemic resolution for this issue on the UDP-203. Each of us will have to find a tolerable workaround for our own setups, as I have done by shielding the IR controller for my LED bias lighting.

Anyone who has not yet encountered the problem might want to keep an eye out for strange behavior in your other components while executing the Oppo remote control commands.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #9090 of 36773 Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
DVDs, Blu-rays, UHD, or some sort of media file? If media, what type, and local storage or SMB or DLNA?

Try Reset Factory Defaults. Any change?

You are running a public beta; you can install a previous firmware if you want. You'd have to find it on the download site for the EU region.

-Bill
They have been mediafiles on USB. I reseted factory defaults once I had flashed the firmware.
It's strange. I may try to reset the factory defaults again just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page