Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278828Likes

post #9151 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_in_az View Post
Oppo just sent me 36-0112b. Since I've installed it audio sync is fine and I haven't seen any dropped/frozen frames on 3D. Watched a few movies straight through without issue. Hopefully they will distribute this beta widely. They told me it includes all the fixes in 1229. So good news on the 3D front.

Mel
Thanks for the info! That really sounds great, uhm, would it be possible to somehow pass this beta to me?
stevenjw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:27 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post
The HDMI input does not support HDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Yes, I'm thinking that - but I'm not even sure if thats the issue - the HDR flag isn't showing on the shows, but the 4k flag is.

So Im uncertain if thats the issue. I don't think all 4k Netflix shows are in HDR?
The FireTV doesn't have HDR. Only SDR UHD.
AidenL and SamuraiXSendai like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9153 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The FireTV doesn't have HDR. Only SDR UHD.

That explains no HDR flags

Ok, wonder why it wont play 4k Netflix but will play 1080 Netflix through the rear?

I changed to Source Direct also, does that work on the rear input?

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-800 View Post
Thanks for the info! That really sounds great, uhm, would it be possible to somehow pass this beta to me?
I don't think I'm allowed to distribute their software. But if you write or call them I'm sure they will send you a link..

Mel
post #9155 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Has Oppo released an eta on the 4k blu-ray menu being reduced to 24/30 hz?
Just use Custom Resolution UHD 24. The player will then output the Main Menu at 30Hz and Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray at 24Hz. For DVDs, you may want to switch back to AUTO for 60Hz (and hope it works) since 60 to 24Hz conversion isn't all that reliable with DVDs due to bad authoring.
G-Rex likes this.
post #9156 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh well, I guess this rear Input issue with the Fire TV is one more issue that needs resolving then?

Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #9157 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-800 View Post
Hi Mel,

Did the 1212b firmware also fix the issue with the out of sync audio? I have the exactly same problem, 3D discs with judders and out of sync audio

It also seems that there is a new firmware version UDP20X-33-1229, did you update your player with it yet and if yes, is everything fine?

Thanks!
Quote:
Oppo just sent me 36-0112b. Since I've installed it audio sync is fine and I haven't seen any dropped/frozen frames on 3D. Watched a few movies straight through without issue. Hopefully they will distribute this beta widely. They told me it includes all the fixes in 1229. So good news on the 3D front.

Mel
Interesting comments, though completely irrelevant to most of us. So it appears that OPPO has a new beta firmware in the works? (Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! ) Are there two differenct pre-betas here or did one of you typo? I see 1212B mentioned as well as 36-0112b. Both seem odd as the original firmware was 1209 and the recent updated firmware is 1229. Either someone is squirrely or OPPO is still playing around with older pre-betas.

As to whether OPPO will just freely provide one of these pre-betas for the asking -- if you don't have the specific issue(s) being addressed, why would they (or you) take that risk. I think installing an announce beta is pretty safe (though it might not fix a give problem), but installing whatever pre-beta is floating around is a completely different animal. This is when it would be wise to note the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Another viewpoint -- if it's broke, let's see it we can break it more.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9158 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone experienced an issue with playing 4K UHD on the Oppo UDp-203 where fast-motion, particularly side-to-side movement "ghosts" or "blurs"?

My device chain looks like this:

Oppo UDP-203 -> Marantz SR7010 -> LG OLED65E6P

Could this be a cabling issue?

Thanks.
post #9159 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Interesting comments, though completely irrelevant to most of us. So it appears that OPPO has a new beta firmware in the works? (Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! ) Are there two differenct pre-betas here or did one of you typo? I see 1212B mentioned as well as 36-0112b. Both seem odd as the original firmware was 1209 and the recent updated firmware is 1229. Either someone is squirrely or OPPO is still playing around with older pre-betas.

As to whether OPPO will just freely provide one of these pre-betas for the asking -- if you don't have the specific issue(s) being addressed, why would they (or you) take that risk. I think installing an announce beta is pretty safe (though it might not fix a give problem), but installing whatever pre-beta is floating around is a completely different animal. This is when it would be wise to note the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Another viewpoint -- if it's broke, let's see it we can break it more.
The email they sent me said 0112b. I've just double checked the Oppo on-screen version. It matches. I had asked Oppo if there was a beta that fixed the 3D issues.. and they offered me this asking for feedback. This beta includes the fixes in 1229. It's not risky to install as you can regress from a beta to a release version.

Lot's of us have a 3D collection, so it's important to us. There may be other fixes in there too.. it seems quite stable.

Installing any beta is up to the user. My 3Ds were pretty unwatchable before, and now they are fine.

Mel
captainbrent likes this.
post #9160 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post
Has anyone experienced an issue with playing 4K UHD on the Oppo UDp-203 where fast-motion, particularly side-to-side movement "ghosts" or "blurs"?

My device chain looks like this:

Oppo UDP-203 -> Marantz SR7010 -> LG OLED65E6P

Could this be a cabling issue?

Thanks.

Sounds more like TruMotion enabled on the TV. If so turn it off and see if that sorts it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9161 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I suspect the firmware number has something to do with the month/day it was created, which seems like a confusing naming scheme.

Last edited by shoeboo; 01-27-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #9162 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
. . . .
I see 1212B mentioned as well as 36-0112b. Both seem odd as the original firmware was 1209 and the recent updated firmware is 1229. Either someone is squirrely or OPPO is still playing around with older pre-betas.
. . . .
Magic Decoder Ring says: "36" is the build cycle, "0112" is the month and day of this version of that build (Jan 12), "b" is Beta firmware.

--Bob
stevenjw, budeone, muzz and 4 others like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #9163 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If you use Control4, its interesting to note after all these years there is finally an IP driver released for an Oppo Player (from annex⁴):

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/22991-...iver-released/

It also works over RS232.

They say they worked with Oppo to develop it, which is likely since I don't think they publish an API for IP control.

No issues with IR interference here...
JFR0317 likes this.

Matt
post #9164 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Oh well, I guess this rear Input issue with the Fire TV is one more issue that needs resolving then?
I would backtrack and make sure you can get 4k using your TV or receiver. Occasionally they get your account messed and don't flag it for 4k. Sometimes rebooting the device helps or logging off then back on again.
AidenL likes this.

Clark
post #9165 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
The email they sent me said 0112b. I've just double checked the Oppo on-screen version. It matches. I had asked Oppo if there was a beta that fixed the 3D issues.. and they offered me this asking for feedback. This beta includes the fixes in 1229. It's not risky to install as you can regress from a beta to a release version.

Lot's of us have a 3D collection, so it's important to us. There may be other fixes in there too.. it seems quite stable.

Installing any beta is up to the user. My 3Ds were pretty unwatchable before, and now they are fine.

Mel
I understand. My comment about "risk" had to do with someone seeking the pre-beta who did not receive it from OPPO for the specific reasons that OPPO created the beta to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Magic Decoder Ring says: "36" is the build cycle, "0112" is the month and day of this version of that build (Jan 12), "b" is Beta firmware.

--Bob
Once again the title "Master of the Universe" goes to -- Bob P! Thanks, good to know. So 1212B is old? Build not certain, Dec 12 beta? Post 1209 but before 1229? Actually, that was the one that confused me -- not sure what the OP meant. Not critical -- I don't have a need.

But as @mel_in_az said, I'm glad to see that all those 3Ders have potential fixes in the works.
clayhans likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9166 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:

--Bob
Seems quite reasonable to me... thanks Bob

Mel
post #9167 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You'll get a new handshake when changing resolution, color space, bit depth or HDR. I haven't see it reported for just entering Setup.

-Bill
That setup menu "blink" doesn't seem like an HDMI handshake and it didn't used to be there. If it's an HDMI handshake, it's the fastest one I've ever seen. It hasn't bothered me, though. I think I first noticed it with their second beta firmware. That's also when I noticed the frame-skip issue when watching a 3D movie. I haven't watched anything else beyond that one 3D movie after updating to the second beta firmware... not sure if the frame skip is happening with anything else, but I've read others claim it's an issue with 3D only. I haven't watched anything with the latest production firmware, though.

For me, the first beta firmware release seemed to have been better than the second.

As far as the intermittent audio sync issues/pauses, the only thing that had changed in my setup was the Oppo player and I guess the HDMI cable that came with the Oppo. That's it. Never had one audio sync issue prior and I've seen it happen with UHD and normal Blu-Ray (although, it's only happened once with a standard Blu-Ray disc). I have had a good run where I watched around 4 movies without any issues at all. I have a hard time believing it's a cable issue. It can be hard to troubleshoot when it is so intermittent. I had thought I had correlated the issue to "My Network" being enabled (which makes little sense, but after I turned it off I went awhile with no issues), but the "Deepwater Horizon" UHD broke that streak. Although, I have read many had issues with that one, so there could be something else going on there.
post #9168 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
Sounds more like TruMotion enabled on the TV. If so turn it off and see if that sorts it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I found this in the LG OLED65E6P thread

Quote:
Motion Handling
Judder issues of the past seem to be taken care of
Soap Opera Effect can be eliminated if TruMotion is set to Off
Many owners report too much blur with TruMotion set to Off, and have set it to User with De-Judder=0 and De-Blur=10
Motion perception can be highly personal so adjust to your liking
Which is a little confusing because I just read about SOE and it sounded like it was blur, but the they say people see too much blur with TruMotion turned off.

I will dig into this setting and test it with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon UHD tonight, which was just killing me with the blurs last night.

So much to learn and re-learn. I appreciate everyone;'s help!
StumpyBloke likes this.
post #9169 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Quote:
I would backtrack and make sure you can get 4k using your TV or receiver. Occasionally they get your account messed and don't flag it for 4k. Sometimes rebooting the device helps or logging off then back on again.
I'll try that but I've lost faith in this player and Oppos ability to fix the issues. Also think it's just taking a bit too long. I can't really see why everyone says they have great support, I've seen nothing special with the current issues.

I know some seem to have players which work well, maybe I'm unlucky or it's my kit mix.

I'm outside my return window but I emailed my dealer tonight to see if he will take it back and refund me.
post #9170 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
I understand. My comment about "risk" had to do with someone seeking the pre-beta who did not receive it from OPPO for the specific reasons that OPPO created the beta to fix.

Once again the title "Master of the Universe" goes to -- Bob P! Thanks, good to know. So 1212B is old? Build not certain, Dec 12 beta? Post 1209 but before 1229? Actually, that was the one that confused me -- not sure what the OP meant. Not critical -- I don't have a need.

But as @mel_in_az said, I'm glad to see that all those 3Ders have potential fixes in the works.

I think if you go excavating in the antediluvian layers of the geological strata of this thread you will find that 1212b was one of a couple of different betas released to a few posters in the very early days before the first public beta was released. A search indicates that this post was the earliest mention of it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49102585

It wasn't released publicly. I think there was a second beta also issues to a few people that was never released publicly, then we got the 1229 public beta release.
richlife likes this.
post #9171 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
If you use Control4, its interesting to note after all these years there is finally an IP driver released for an Oppo Player (from annex⁴):

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/22991-...iver-released/

It also works over RS232.

They say they worked with Oppo to develop it, which is likely since I don't think they publish an API for IP control.

No issues with IR interference here...
That is freaking sweet. Just messaged my provider.
post #9172 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

--Bob
So its over two weeks old already?

Is that just a snip of an upcoming beta then? I mean is it just the part thats addressing the 3D problems I wonder?
jude924 likes this.

post #9173 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 163
For those of you with the 203 and the 103D, which do you prefer for 1080p and why?

I 'm concerned about the loss of Darbee for regular Blu Rays.
post #9174 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
That explains no HDR flags

Ok, wonder why it wont play 4k Netflix but will play 1080 Netflix through the rear?

I changed to Source Direct also, does that work on the rear input?
the Netflix App on FTV is, well, less than reliable. Periodically it needs to be flushed and re-installed to get 4K options.
Further, the FTV requires a HDCP 2.2 chain to function as a 4K device. Anyway, go to application management in the FTV and flush all data and cache from the Netflix app, start over and you *should* have 4K Netflix again. If not than its the Netflix app that's balking at using the Oppo in the chain..
AidenL likes this.
post #9175 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
So its over two weeks old already?

Is that just a snip of an upcoming beta then? I mean is it just the part thats addressing the 3D problems I wonder?
As a Beta Tester, I can't comment on any firmware until it is released as a Public Beta or Official release. There's a gray area when OPPO makes firmware available to selected users. But I'll have to stay silent unless/until OPPO Digital tells me otherwise.
--Bob
AidenL likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #9176 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
For those of you with the 203 and the 103D, which do you prefer for 1080p and why?
Are you asking about upscaling to 2160P to a UDTV or like 4K projector or playing HD to a 1080P display? Personally I'm not missing DVP at all going to a OLED E6P using a UDP-203 with normal upscaling BD's.

Oppo Beta Group
post #9177 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Folks:
How does 203 perform as a transport for digital music streamed from NAS? Has anyone had a chance to compare it to Microrendu or SOTM sms-2000? Was about to pull a trigger but its already out of stock at Crutchfield
Thx..

Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Marantz 8802A, Devialet 1000Pro L/R, NAD M27, SOTM-200
post #9178 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
Folks:
How does 203 perform as a transport for digital music streamed from NAS? Has anyone had a chance to compare it to Microrendu or SOTM sms-2000? Was about to pull a trigger but its already out of stock at Crutchfield
Thx..
Do you really want to start an argument about what "sounds better" as a digital transport? It sounds the same as any other digital transport, end of argument.
muzz, Sam1000 and vulcanpro like this.
post #9179 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I use the HDMI input for my Xbox, we turned the Xbox off today and the player completely hardlocked.

This is one of the worse blu-ray players I've owned for hardlocking, it's so bad. I hope Oppo fix this because the player hardlocks at least once every time I use it.

I think it unacceptable to have a this many hardlocks. Oppo must fix this asap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jude924 likes this.

MY GEAR
Vizio - P75C1
Denon - X6300H
Oppo - 203 UHD Player
Elac - Debut Series with Dolby Atmos
post #9180 of 36752 Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 122
203 vs. 103D

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

I didn't try them side-by-side, but I think that blu-rays have so far looked fantastic on my 203 (I early ordered in December). I gave my 103D to my daughter for her home, because even though I liked and used the Darbee processing (I could see the differences using the test mode on the player), playing blu-rays on the 203 is so good I won't really miss it. Plus, that allowed me to keep the 83 in my setup, and it really does have things it will play that are no longer acceptable on current players (like BD-formatted DVD-Rs, which I used for archiving 1080P camera footage).

Now if at a later date, there is such a thing as 4K Darbee, and it makes a noticeable positive difference, then I might reconsider it then...

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page