Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278625Likes

post #9331 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
If you haven't purchased the Masciola HDR test patterns, you may want to. (?)

Looks like you can grab an MP4 here

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...l#post50138513
So I bought the Masciola Patterns and tried the black clipping patterns. Note that my display is not pro-calibrated, and for HDR, I've never calibrated it in any way -- just eyeballed it, since I haven't (at least until now) had a way to calibrate the HDR mode.

With the brightness the way I have it set on my LG 55EF9500 (52), in "strip metadata" mode, all the blacks on the screen are clipped in both black-clipping patterns. I tried both the mp4 and the ts file variants with no change (which is what I would expect). In HDR mode, they are clipped below 3.0 %.

I'm not sure what this says about the firmware, since it might have something to do with the way my system is setup. Because of issues with the LG display, I know I'm already clipping 1% black using the Disney Wow disc (non-HDR, non-strip metadata). I can definitely set the brightness level high enough to show blacks under 7.5%, but that would be way too high for actual movies. However, from what I'm seeing, I'm guessing that the firmware they sent me doesn't make any changes with the strip-metadata.

Edit: Also tried turning HDR off, so the player converts to SDR without BT.2020. Then, I get clipping below 6.0, so I suspect the issue is my setup.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables

Last edited by dcbii; 01-29-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnj1211 View Post
In regards from an earlier post from "carp", I too have the same troubles with movies hanging in the middle of an action scene. Oppo has acknowledged that the error correction needs to be adjusted to stop this from happening. They claim to still be working on this. I can understand firmware updates that are needed to correct problems with particular discs, but for error correction? It never locked with heavy bass on the 103D, but it does time after time on the 203. UHD - movie after movie experience the lockups - Examples: Deadpool, Tarzan, Ghostbusters. I have tried anti-vibration pads, along with an auralex pad - they still freeze up at times. Sure is feeling like I paid $549 to be a beta tester!
My prior post may help you with your vibrations>>> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49823841
post #9333 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
So I bought the Masciola Patterns and tried the black clipping patterns. Note that my display is not pro-calibrated, and for HDR, I've never calibrated it in any way -- just eyeballed it, since I haven't (at least until now) had a way to calibrate the HDR mode.

With the brightness the way I have it set on my LG 55EF9500 (52), in "strip metadata" mode, all the blacks on the screen are clipped in both black-clipping patterns. I tried both the mp4 and the ts file variants with no change (which is what I would expect). In HDR mode, they are clipped below 3.0 %.

I'm not sure what this says about the firmware, since it might have something to do with the way my system is setup. Because of issues with the LG display, I know I'm already clipping 1% black using the Disney Wow disc (non-HDR, non-strip metadata). I can definitely set the brightness level high enough to show blacks under 7.5%, but that would be way too high for actual movies. However, from what I'm seeing, I'm guessing that the firmware they sent me doesn't make any changes with the strip-metadata.

Edit: Also tried turning HDR off, so the player converts to SDR without BT.2020. Then, I get clipping below 6.0, so I suspect the issue is my setup.
Did you boost brightness to +8 on the OPPO once you enabled the Strip meta data feature?
sonichart likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9334 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Did you boost brightness to +8 on the OPPO once you enabled the Strip meta data feature?
I hadn't done that. Doing that step, I get the results described by sonichart -- clipping below 7.5.
sonichart likes this.

Dave Barnhart

Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-83, Denon X4200W, Denon X8500H, LG 55EF9500, NVidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, RSL speakers, all Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables
post #9335 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
I don't believe there is anything wrong with your setup. Oppo is working on the strip metadata feature and I seem to recall the downconversion needs work as well.

There are peeps in the Masciola thread (SOWK) that I believe are attempting to assist Oppo in getting it fixed.

I just wondered if in the updated FW it was addressed along with the 3D issues.

Back to 'hurry up and wait' for a fix

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #9336 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I agree - I was impressed and I do understand why the US support people get rave reviews.

Sadly for me though, that US firmware beta isn't recognised by my EU player. I guess they assumed I was in the US.

Ive asked is there a strain suitable for us over here, will see what the response is.
Can you let me know please? Oppo UK)EU still haven't replied either to my original complaint on stutter, or actually thinking about it my online registration for details of the launch.
I suspect that their web form goes to an unmanned inbox.

Thanks
post #9337 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnj1211 View Post
In regards from an earlier post from "carp", I too have the same troubles with movies hanging in the middle of an action scene. Oppo has acknowledged that the error correction needs to be adjusted to stop this from happening. They claim to still be working on this. I can understand firmware updates that are needed to correct problems with particular discs, but for error correction? It never locked with heavy bass on the 103D, but it does time after time on the 203. UHD - movie after movie experience the lockups - Examples: Deadpool, Tarzan, Ghostbusters. I have tried anti-vibration pads, along with an auralex pad - they still freeze up at times. Sure is feeling like I paid $549 to be a beta tester!
2 things:

1- UHD movies pack a lot more data onto a disc the same size as a normal HD BD. That means a finer spiral track and smaller pits packed more closely together. Tracking becomes more critical and so does error correction. Vibration which didn't cause problems with tracking a BD could conceivably be enough to cause problems tracking a more demanding disc format which requires much more precise and accurate laser control. Just because you and I never had problems with the 10x series of players and BD doesn't mean that things will be just as trouble free with UHD discs and a UHD player.

2- I mentioned some vibration control strategies in an earlier response to the initial discussion on this topic but I forgot one thing which I currently use, mainly because I adopted it for a totally different sub vibration problem. My subs don't have soft feet, they have hard aluminium feet and they sit on a ceramic tiled floor with tiles that are slightly textured and rough so they don't sit firmly on all 4 feet, there's a little bit of movement possible on one diagonal axis, so my subs used to "walk" slightly with heavy soundtracks. I also noticed a couple of resonances from walls every now and then. I tried using a shim such as a business card or a couple of thicknesses of paper under one foot of each sub and while that stopped any rocking if I tried to rock the sub myself, it didn't provide enough grip to stop the subs "walking" during a bass heavy soundtrack. In the end I decided to try Auralex Subdudes. They're a flat mdf platform with a covering over the mdf and a layer of foam under the platform. The foam conforms nicely to the slightly uneven tile surface and grips well when compressed slightly by the weight of the sub on top, the sub sits solidly on the flat top surface of the platform and the fabric cover provides a bit of grip for the feet of the subs, and the subs no longer "walk", they now remain totally stationary where I want them. The wall resonances I had been hearing also went away so it seems they were at least in part caused by physical transmission of vibration through the subs' feet to the floor and then to the wall. Perhaps using something like the Subdude under your sub would help with your problem. If you have a piece of mdf a bit larger than your sub's footprint lying around, get a slightly smaller piece of a dense foam a bit smaller than the mdf or something like a carpet tile, stick that under the mdf and put the sub on top and see if isolating your sub from the floor that way helps. If it does you can decide whether or not to buy something like the Subdude or simply do a decent finishing job on your test creation and just run with that. I'm not good at making good looking DIY so I was quite happy to pay for a pair of Subdudes and they certainly solved the problem I was having. I got them back before UHD when I was using my 105 for BD playback and though I was obviously having a problem with vibration from the subs, it never affected playback of discs though things sounded a bit clearer and more precise after I installed the Subdudes, probably due to the elimination of some resonances being excited by physical transmission of vibration. I can't guarantee this approach will work for you but if you have a bit of mdf lying around and a bit of foam or an old carpet tile to stick under it, you can test it out easily and cheaply. Perhaps even just sticking a carpet tile under the sub would help.
brentsg and philnj1211 like this.
post #9338 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
OK, just tried that with season 1, disc 1 and there was no freeze or crash. I pressed the Home button on the remote and I got the 203's Home menu with no problems so I'm not seeing the same behaviour with that disc of season 1.

May still be a disc problem because there's a reissue of the first seasons out now with Atmos soundtracks. I've got the original releases of all seasons so my test means nothing if you've got the re-issued versions with the Atmos soundtracks.

So, depending on what versions of the discs you have it may be a disc navigation issue or it could be a 203 issue. I'm in Australia with the Au version of the firmware so we may not have quite the same firmware on our players, and firmware may be an issue. I'm running the latest official firmware release. What are you running?
Okay. I've got the atmos version.
I didn't realise I could wait after inserting the next disk and it would auto play. How long should it take? I waited 30 seconds or so, longer than a cold boot anyway, before I get impatient and start clicking. Though the first time I went out and made a cup of tea and it still did it.
I wonder if it's related to the funky atmos splash screen pattern and "folding" audio clips at the beginning of every disk that the Oppo doesn't like?
Will try disk switch and waiting longer tomorrow.
My wife will wonder why I'm going back to earlier episodes ;-)

Chris
post #9339 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone tried an "upgrade" power cord, such as Pangea from AudioAdvisor on the 203? And,, if so, did it make a difference?

LG 55C6P
Marantz SR5010
ELAC F5; C5; B6 Surrounds; A4 Atmos (2); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3
Oppo UDP-203; Roku Premium+; Fire TV; Adcom 535 amp; Chromecast Audio
Sonograph SG3 'table
post #9340 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Hi. Done it on every disk si far in seasons 1, 2 and 3.
What I mean is that I'm not doing play all.
I'm picking episode by episode. Each time it goes back to home but say there's two episodes on a disk the third is actually just a dummy menu that sends you to the next disk if you pick it. When that menu comes up if you press home (the Top menu or home it doesn't matter) it crashes. It has dime that both with and without ejecting and inserting the next disk.

Thanks for testing
Chris
Instead of pressing Home, have you simply Ejected the disc at that point and loaded the next? That should start playing the next episode without any intervention. This is with the Atmos version of Season 1 and 2.

I will still try your "Home" event with my Atmos set, but I do think that the intent is simply eject and load the new disc.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 01-29-2017 at 03:44 PM.
post #9341 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just to give an update on the 4:4:4 chroma upsampling issue:

I am in touch with Oppo and they advised me to run severals tests on the players I have, especially color space tests to make sure the issue is not display or cable related. The conclusion was that the issue is likely related to the 203. Now I still need to check if the issue is only related to 1080p output or 4K output as well. I am going to check this with the UK Arrow release of 'Deep Red/Profondo Rosso' which has so many bright and 'deep red' scenes, which look really terrible on the 203 set to 4:4:4 colorspace.

Here is a comparison pic of Deep Red (scene at 11:27 Min.).
post #9342 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbks View Post
Has anyone tried an "upgrade" power cord, such as Pangea from AudioAdvisor on the 203? And,, if so, did it make a difference?
Do you realize the unit has a switch mode power supply and will operate just fine with 100 to 240 VAC? Save your money and spend it where it will make a difference.

The power cords supplied with decent equipment is more than adequate for the job.
dianebrat, muzz, rossi46 and 4 others like this.
post #9343 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't realise I could wait after inserting the next disk and it would auto play. How long should it take? I waited 30 seconds or so, longer than a cold boot anyway, before I get impatient and start clicking. Though the first time I went out and made a cup of tea and it still did it.
I wonder if it's related to the funky atmos splash screen pattern and "folding" audio clips at the beginning of every disk that the Oppo doesn't like?

Chris
I think the auto play feature only works when you have used the "Play All" option in the disc menu. It's designed for couch potatoes like me who have nothing better to do than to binge watch their favourite TV shows and it was designed by a sadist to eliminate a handy opportunity for a rest break between discs for us heavy binge watchers :-)

I have been known to consume a season of GOT in 2 days.
richlife likes this.
post #9344 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the auto play feature only works when you have used the "Play All" option in the disc menu. It's designed for couch potatoes like me who have nothing better to do than to binge watch their favourite TV shows and it was designed by a sadist to eliminate a handy opportunity for a rest break between discs for us heavy binge watchers :-)

But I don't think you're right about "Play All" -- at least with the Atmos set. I'll check though and respond. Check the auto play, I mean. I don't have the courage to Play All -- it's an age related issue.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #9345 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post

But I don't think you're right about "Play All" -- at least with the Atmos set. I'll check though and respond. Check the auto play, I mean. I don't have the courage to Play All -- it's an age related issue.
What do you mean it's an age related issue? I'm 69 and retired, and I've got the time to binge watch when I want to. Don't know about courage but I've got the stupidity and addiction as well as time :-)
rboster, muzz, gwsat and 3 others like this.
post #9346 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Two weeks now with OPPO...................after 12-14 movies............NOT ONE PROBLEM!!!!!

After using the Samsung for one week...............nothing but problems too numerous to list..................returned it and waited 5 loooooonnnngggg months for a solid product!

Thanks OPPO!
budeone, muzz, ellisr63 and 4 others like this.
post #9347 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post
Just to give an update on the 4:4:4 chroma upsampling issue:

I am in touch with Oppo and they advised me to run severals tests on the players I have, especially color space tests to make sure the issue is not display or cable related. The conclusion was that the issue is likely related to the 203. Now I still need to check if the issue is only related to 1080p output or 4K output as well. I am going to check this with the UK Arrow release of 'Deep Red/Profondo Rosso' which has so many bright and 'deep red' scenes, which look really terrible on the 203 set to 4:4:4 colorspace.

Here is a comparison pic of Deep Red (scene at 11:27 Min.).
While there may be an issue, the fact that Oppo is actively working with you to fix it is the reason I finally bought an Oppo.
That small icon I asked you about was too small for me too look at.

Thanks for the info.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #9348 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
2 things:

1- UHD movies pack a lot more data onto a disc the same size as a normal HD BD. That means a finer spiral track and smaller pits packed more closely together. Tracking becomes more critical and so does error correction. Vibration which didn't cause problems with tracking a BD could conceivably be enough to cause problems tracking a more demanding disc format which requires much more precise and accurate laser control. Just because you and I never had problems with the 10x series of players and BD doesn't mean that things will be just as trouble free with UHD discs and a UHD player.

2- I mentioned some vibration control strategies in an earlier response to the initial discussion on this topic but I forgot one thing which I currently use, mainly because I adopted it for a totally different sub vibration problem. My subs don't have soft feet, they have hard aluminium feet and they sit on a ceramic tiled floor with tiles that are slightly textured and rough so they don't sit firmly on all 4 feet, there's a little bit of movement possible on one diagonal axis, so my subs used to "walk" slightly with heavy soundtracks. I also noticed a couple of resonances from walls every now and then. I tried using a shim such as a business card or a couple of thicknesses of paper under one foot of each sub and while that stopped any rocking if I tried to rock the sub myself, it didn't provide enough grip to stop the subs "walking" during a bass heavy soundtrack. In the end I decided to try Auralex Subdudes. They're a flat mdf platform with a covering over the mdf and a layer of foam under the platform. The foam conforms nicely to the slightly uneven tile surface and grips well when compressed slightly by the weight of the sub on top, the sub sits solidly on the flat top surface of the platform and the fabric cover provides a bit of grip for the feet of the subs, and the subs no longer "walk", they now remain totally stationary where I want them. The wall resonances I had been hearing also went away so it seems they were at least in part caused by physical transmission of vibration through the subs' feet to the floor and then to the wall. Perhaps using something like the Subdude under your sub would help with your problem. If you have a piece of mdf a bit larger than your sub's footprint lying around, get a slightly smaller piece of a dense foam a bit smaller than the mdf or something like a carpet tile, stick that under the mdf and put the sub on top and see if isolating your sub from the floor that way helps. If it does you can decide whether or not to buy something like the Subdude or simply do a decent finishing job on your test creation and just run with that. I'm not good at making good looking DIY so I was quite happy to pay for a pair of Subdudes and they certainly solved the problem I was having. I got them back before UHD when I was using my 105 for BD playback and though I was obviously having a problem with vibration from the subs, it never affected playback of discs though things sounded a bit clearer and more precise after I installed the Subdudes, probably due to the elimination of some resonances being excited by physical transmission of vibration. I can't guarantee this approach will work for you but if you have a bit of mdf lying around and a bit of foam or an old carpet tile to stick under it, you can test it out easily and cheaply. Perhaps even just sticking a carpet tile under the sub would help.
Thanks, will give that a try.
post #9349 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Check the Theory & Practice section of the FAQ for extended discussion of the color spaces. The 4:2:2 recommendation was specifically for the LG OLED, but in a perfect world it shouldn't matter. Auto ought to be fine but now and then we run into setups where specifying a value works better.
I have an LG OLED65E6P, so I'm curious what caused the 4:2:2 recommendation? Sorry if I missed it in the original piece.

Last edited by Paul Arnette; 01-29-2017 at 08:47 PM.
post #9350 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Chris
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
What do you mean it's an age related issue? I'm 69 and retired, and I've got the time to binge watch when I want to. Don't know about courage but I've got the stupidity and addiction as well as time :-)
Well, hey! I'm 69 and retired also. But I noticed a long time ago that some appear to age faster than others and some age in different ways. Me, when I gotta go I gotta go -- no unbroken marathon sessions. I could Play All, but it would just mean some quick Pause and Run actions if I get too absorbed in the shows.

(Just wanted to sneak in the off topic for completion. )

For both you and Chris, David, I was able to confirm everything I said previously -- at least with my 203. Keep in mind that I always play GOT in Atmos. I didn't expect that matters and so I tried one test sequence with DD 5.1 with the same results. Also, I learned something new (to me) about the OPPO 203.

I only did this testing with Episodes 2 and 3 of Season 2 as it completely confirmed what I had seen earlier with Season 1. This time I fast-forwarded through E.2 stopping at the credits (and noted the something new -- see below). During the credits, as usual I pressed Home which took me to Home and the Episode 3 title. Press Enter for Play and it asks you to Insert Disc 2. (At the end of all episodes on the disc, 4 mins 19 secs of WARNING screens will come up. If I get this far, I press Home and get the same E.3 title. If I let it play through the Warnings (quite boring), when they end, it automatically goes Home and we proceed as above.) Press Open, load the next disc, Press Open (to Close) and if you do nothing, in 15 seconds, the HBO screen comes up and then Episode 3 automatically starts. (If you eject during the GOT lead-in, and then reload the disc, it continues from where you left off.) At no point did pressing either Home or Pop-up Menu hang or in any way delay the playback. If the disc is not at a point where it can obey the Home/Pop-up Menu button, the 203 display a red NOT symbol (slashed circle) in the upper right.

What was new to me (that maybe everyone else knows), is that when you fast-forward, there are 5 speed levels. More importantly, if during ff you press Info, you get the normal info header and footer and the header actually shows the progress of the ff -- just as it will show your progress during a show. That really helps when you want to ff through 53 minutes of a 53 min and 31 sec show (for example). You can see exactly when to press Play.

Anyway, Chris if you continue having this issue and can't determine what is different about your 203, I'd say that a report to OPPO is in order. It's not a problem on my 203.

Last edited by richlife; 01-29-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #9351 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread

With as much tech as I've owned over the years, I can say that without a doubt that this player is the buggiest I've encountered at this price point. Even the Samsung UHD player has been damn near flawless with playback in comparison. Let's be honest here, has Oppo ever release a player in this shape before? The Oppo 103 I had, never exhibited issues like the ones we are experiencing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9352 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My K8500 had lip synch issues, I found myself chasing it around.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #9353 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2138 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Two weeks now with OPPO...................after 12-14 movies............NOT ONE PROBLEM!!!!!

After using the Samsung for one week...............nothing but problems too numerous to list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
With as much tech as I've owned over the years, I can say that without a doubt that this player is the buggiest I've encountered at this price point. Even the Samsung UHD player has been damn near flawless with playback in comparison.
I find it striking that these two diametrically opposite posts appeared practically back to back, illustrating that what may seem to you to be universal, incontrovertible truth may, in fact, be:

an·ec·do·tal
ˌanəkˈdōdl/
adjective
adjective: anecdotal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

Full disclosure: I have yet to experience even the slightest hiccup here with my UDP-203. Clearly, it is the pinnacle of technological perfection.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #9354 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Do you realize the unit has a switch mode power supply and will operate just fine with 100 to 240 VAC? Save your money and spend it where it will make a difference.
The power cords supplied with decent equipment is more than adequate for the job.
Congratulations on being a far better person with that answer than I could have been, I would have just kept laughing at the insanity of an "upgraded" AC cord.
muzz, rossi46, Ted99 and 2 others like this.
post #9355 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried to play a CD without a display, instead of starting, display said "Home Screen" with no way to play?
After watching a DVD the same cd played without incident with PJ still lit up,it started 1st song automatically?

post #9356 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Congratulations on being a far better person with that answer than I could have been, I would have just kept laughing at the insanity of an "upgraded" AC cord.
Don't be so hasty! I upgraded my UDP-203 with a Fujutech FP-S320N power distribution system. This uses their newest formulation of gold and silver Nano Liquid. The molecules in the Nano Liquid are so small that they finely coat the conductors and smooth out microscopic surface irregularities that can ruin your signal transfer and impedance. It's a real breakthrough in audophile engineering IMHO.

It's not just the gold and silver microparticles though - the Nano Liquid includes Squalene oil. (I think Squalene oil comes from sharks, which makes perfect sense if you want killer audiophile performance). They balance the relative ratios of gold, silver and oil to ‘tune’ the Nano Liquid to deliver the most balanced, musical sound achievable. With the Nano Liquid and Alpha-OFC conductors with their patented two-step cryogenic and demagnetization process, I saw a dramatic and immediate improvement from my 203, as soon as I took the Fujutech out of it's cedar lined shipping crate. The soundstage was far broader and more detailed, without the fuzzy and bleached sound so typical of cheap cabling. Musical numbers were warm and rhythmic, as promised. My 5.1 system was able to reproduce more depth and dimensionality, approaching the soundstage of Dolby Atmos theaters. Visual performance was obviously improved, especially on UHD titles made from a 2K Digital Intermediate, which to my eyes approach native 4K material when using the FP-S320N. Motion blur vanished in an instant. And of course, the improved power delivered right to the 203 means colour reproduction approaches 99% of the DCI-P3 standard, with deep, rich blacks and incredible HDR highlights, even on older DVD titles. Watching the original Jaws on DVD, and I could really feel that Squalene oil working hard to bring it up to UHD levels of visual and audio presentation. It's like I could sense the shark in the room, circling me, and my wallet.
RickD_99, gsr, dianebrat and 13 others like this.

Last edited by analog8; 01-29-2017 at 09:51 PM.
post #9357 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I tried to play a CD without a display, instead of starting, display said "Home Screen" with no way to play?
After watching a DVD the same cd played without incident with PJ still lit up,it started 1st song automatically?
I suspect in the first case, the 203 was waiting for you to press Play. In the second case, the OPPO was left in a state that allowed it to play upon the drawer closing. Or did I miss something? Is there more to the first case than yet described?

post #9358 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried every button the 1st time. after the Dvd play, with display on, the that same cd was fine, and all after have been fine.,... WTF? I'll try it again tomm.

post #9359 of 36507 Old 01-29-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Whadda ya mean?? It could be the A/C cord... cuz I bought one and thought the 203 was really perfect for a few weeks until I realized Wiley Coyote sold me the one from his ACME generic Company & it nearly fried my new techno marvel 203!

So yea I agree diane brat (Oh behave!) , just use the stock A/C cord and you'll be right as rain NEO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1929785  
muzz likes this.

Last edited by timc1475; 02-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #9360 of 36507 Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Well, hey! I'm 69 and retired also. But I noticed a long time ago that some appear to age faster than others and some age in different ways. Me, when I gotta go I gotta go -- no unbroken marathon sessions. I could Play All, but it would just mean some quick Pause and Run actions if I get too absorbed in the shows.

(Just wanted to sneak in the off topic for completion. )

For both you and Chris, David, I was able to confirm everything I said previously -- at least with my 203. Keep in mind that I always play GOT in Atmos. I didn't expect that matters and so I tried one test sequence with DD 5.1 with the same results. Also, I learned something new (to me) about the OPPO 203.

I only did this testing with Episodes 2 and 3 of Season 2 as it completely confirmed what I had seen earlier with Season 1. This time I fast-forwarded through E.2 stopping at the credits (and noted the something new -- see below). During the credits, as usual I pressed Home which took me to Home and the Episode 3 title. Press Enter for Play and it asks you to Insert Disc 2. (At the end of all episodes on the disc, 4 mins 19 secs of WARNING screens will come up. If I get this far, I press Home and get the same E.3 title. If I let it play through the Warnings (quite boring), when they end, it automatically goes Home and we proceed as above.) Press Open, load the next disc, Press Open (to Close) and if you do nothing, in 15 seconds, the HBO screen comes up and then Episode 3 automatically starts. (If you eject during the GOT lead-in, and then reload the disc, it continues from where you left off.) At no point did pressing either Home or Pop-up Menu hang or in any way delay the playback. If the disc is not at a point where it can obey the Home/Pop-up Menu button, the 203 display a red NOT symbol (slashed circle) in the upper right.

What was new to me (that maybe everyone else knows), is that when you fast-forward, there are 5 speed levels. More importantly, if during ff you press Info, you get the normal info header and footer and the header actually shows the progress of the ff -- just as it will show your progress during a show. That really helps when you want to ff through 53 minutes of a 53 min and 31 sec show (for example). You can see exactly when to press Play.

Anyway, Chris if you continue having this issue and can't determine what is different about your 203, I'd say that a report to OPPO is in order. It's not a problem on my 203.

Thanks for checking.
I'll check again to see if I can repeat. I checked the buttons, it was either home or top menu but the order maybe a little screwy as there's two of us and so disk eject, insert and remote may not always be done sympathetically to the player's own schedule.

Cheers

Took 2.5 days to do season 2 and 3 BTW as wife has been at home ill and needed some company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
203 , 203 uhd , blu-ray , denon x4300h , dsd streaming , failure , Oppo , oppo 203 , sacd dsd hdmi , troubleshooting , UDP-203 , uhd , usb

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page